PDA

View Full Version : Markovic 2012

The Bulldogs Bite
03-11-2011, 05:37 PM
He had an interesting year. Did he improve on year one? Absolutely. He played 16 games and often had to hold down the FB position due to Lake's absence/form. In a side where the midfield regularly got belted, it wasn't an easy task and against WCE - he certainly got a reality check. However, we all did. He missed a chunk of games after the 100 odd point loss to the Eagles, but did string a few games late.

Strengths? One on one. He actually rarely gets beaten, and is a very good spoiler of the ball. He's got a decent leap but above all else, he usually positions himself pretty well. His disposal is OK and he generally keeps it simple.

Weaknesses? Pace. He really struggles to defend on the lead and got caught out a few times. His decision making is questionable, but perhaps this can be improved given he hasn't played much top level footy.

Markovic finished equal 10th in the B&F - a solid effort for a mature aged key defender.

Moving forward into 2012, what can we expect from Markovic? How will we use him, especially if Lake is fit? How can we best utilise his strengths (body on body defending), and avoid his weaknesses (defending on the lead)? Is he a possible swingman - particularly with no Hall?

Realistically, can Markovic play a part in our side in future seasons or was he a gap filler in 2011?

SonofScray
03-11-2011, 05:50 PM
I would be surprised if we could get much more improvement from him as an individual football, what we saw is what we'll get. He has some skills that are certainly AFL standard, can spoil well and generally positions himself well to make a contest, or win the ball outright. So-so with his foot skills and decision making in close but reasonably good with the ball while he has some room to move. With the footy he strikes me a very linear type of player. Spoil, get the ball, kick long type of stuff.

He is an OK payer. I like the way he goes about it, but I don't expect a lot from him either. If McCartney can get a really solid defensive system going and have a settled back six, with the likes of Williams and Lake really performing at a level we need then Markovic could excel in that set up. He could be a genuine stopper a la Morris and free up the others to go third man up, spread for the footy when it is won. Im thinking him playing well in a back six really opens up opportunities for Shaggy and Wood to make marked improvements on last seasons form.

Scraggers
03-11-2011, 05:55 PM
I was very impressed with Markovic this year ... and I see him as a big part of our future in defence. IIRC he played really well on Buddy didn't he???

To form part of a big three (Markovic, Lake, Morris) in a defensive line would hold us in good stead against the bigger bodies in teams such as Collingwood, St. Kilda, Geelong, Hawthorn etc.. but to use him as the swing player I think is wasted ... I think it better that he is used to release Lake forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Markovic could be our Lonergan - he did a terrific job for Geelong this season in negating the big forwards.

To be fair, Lonergan's good work also had a lot to do with the players around him. If, as SOS says, we form a settled back six with the likes of Lake and Williams in form - Markovic could play the Lonergan role well.

LostDoggy
03-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Markovic is exactly the type of player that I hope McCartney can teach to go to the next level as an AFL player. He keeps talking about teaching people how to play correctly and I hope it work with him.

Ghost Dog
03-11-2011, 08:06 PM
The big thing for me is his composure. He looks quite calm as he goes about it. for a young lad, that's a good thing.

Mantis
03-11-2011, 09:52 PM
If Lake and Williams are fit and in reasonable form Markovic doesn't play.

He filled in pretty well this year, but I don't see him as a long term player.

lemmon
03-11-2011, 09:58 PM
If Lake and Williams are fit and in reasonable form Markovic doesn't play.

He filled in pretty well this year, but I don't see him as a long term player.

No chance of Lake playing as the Scarlett/Fletcher third tall and dominating as the third man into a contest?

Mantis
03-11-2011, 10:10 PM
No chance of Lake playing as the Scarlett/Fletcher third tall and dominating as the third man into a contest?

I don't see Markovic being able to consistently play on the better players to allow Lake to play this role.

lemmon
03-11-2011, 10:26 PM
I don't see Markovic being able to consistently play on the better players to allow Lake to play this role.

Fair enough, I would've made the same comment about Lonergan but he's performed admirably, largely in no small part to the extra cover afforded by Scarlett chopping in. If worst comes to worst and Markovic is exposed we do have the ability to change it up with a Williams, Lake or Morris and then the sub comes into play and its not like we lose much drive from the backline, with the form/fitness of Gilbee and Hargrave, Lake becomes just about our most consistent rebounder with Murph.

bornadog
03-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Fair enough, I would've made the same comment about Lonergan but he's performed admirably, largely in no small part to the extra cover afforded by Scarlett chopping in. If worst comes to worst and Markovic is exposed we do have the ability to change it up with a Williams, Lake or Morris and then the sub comes into play and its not like we lose much drive from the backline, with the form/fitness of Gilbee and Hargrave, Lake becomes just about our most consistent rebounder with Murph.

I tend to agree, I think we can fit Markovic in with Williams, and Lake. As much as posters want to say that Markovic is not much chop, he was rarely beaten this year. Sure he has his limitations, and he will never be a super star, but he will be solid and reliable.

jeemak
03-11-2011, 11:41 PM
If we're at full fitness he might only be used on a week by week basis for specific match ups. Williams, Lake and Morris should be enough for tall cover in defense.

If we're struggling up forward and we need a target, which is potentially how the season will play out then Lake might be used forward. This will open up a spot for Markovic.

bornadog
03-11-2011, 11:44 PM
If we're at full fitness he might only be used on a week by week basis for specific match ups. Williams, Lake and Morris should be enough for tall cover in defense.

If we're struggling up forward and we need a target, which is potentially how the season will play out then Lake might be used forward. This will open up a spot for Markovic.

I don't like Morris being stretched to play as a tall. He is only 190cm and struggles against the monster forwards. You can say what you like, however, he plays better on smaller players, and we need someone like that.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-11-2011, 11:45 PM

Would Markovic be an option up forward?

Played some junior football as a forward IIRC.

jeemak
04-11-2011, 12:14 AM
I don't like Morris being stretched to play as a tall. He is only 190cm and struggles against the monster forwards. You can say what you like, however, he plays better on smaller players, and we need someone like that.

I agree that he plays better on the medium to small players, but I also think that Williams and Lake can cover those of quality over 192-194cm well enough, and there isn't many sides that have three players over 190-192cm that can all play. If there is, then Marko can come in and Morris can shut down a small to medium, if we really think he's a better option on the talls than Morris...........

jeemak
04-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Would Markovic be an option up forward?

Played some junior football as a forward IIRC.

Depends on what we're trying to achieve as a club next year, and whether we can keep all of Grant, Jones, Roughead and Panos fit. Add Cordy to that list for his physical attributes alone that will look to be developed further as well.

If we're all about development then from what I've seen those listed above are clearly better forward options than Markovic, (admittedly his potential in that position is completely unknown to me as I've not seen him there!). Nothing I've seen at this point suggests he'll be anything more than an honest defender (which is no bad thing mind, every sides need them). If I'm selling him short then fine, and I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Dancin' Douggy
04-11-2011, 12:30 AM
The big thing for me is his composure. He looks quite calm as he goes about it. for a young lad, that's a good thing.

I'm right behind you there ghost dog. He WAS composed, always.
He may be a Prestagiacomo type. Just solid and humble.
Nothing wrong with that. And as a footy purist, some of his spoils this year could have been from the old "How to play football" books. Just classic and perfect. The way he timed his leap from behind to punch, to me was perfect brutal ballet.

jeemak
04-11-2011, 01:12 AM
Would agree that he does show good composure when he gets his hands on the footy.

Not sure if he's got the same speed off the mark that Prestigiacomo had although he's probably on par with him with the ball in his hands and helping out third up.

At 24 he's not in a bad position in terms of our current list composition. He may not be in our most prefered 22 over the next year or so, but if our development as a club puts us in a position to challenge again in 3 years and both of Morris and Lake have declined like we all expect then he'll start getting regular games. I guess it's up to him to stick around and be content as being a bit part player, if the club decides to persevere with him of course. The key defensive prospect stocks are bare at the moment, and it's a bit of a worry.

Sedat
04-11-2011, 01:19 AM
I would have said the same thing about Tom Lonergan circa 2008-2010. If Markovic had at his disposal the same talent and defensive mindedness that Geelong's mids have to support Lonergan, I reckon he possesses the necessary smarts and know-how to similarly succeed as a negating key backman. But he will struggle if the present lack of defensive mindest in our mids continues into 2012.

Ideally we would have Williams as our Harry Taylor, Markovic as our Lonergan and Lake as our Scarlett, with Morris taking the small forwards. If all are fit and in form, and if our mids work tirelessly defensively to protect the defenders from being exposed one-out, we still have the shell of an effective defensive unit.

jeemak
04-11-2011, 01:43 AM
It's almost moot to consider that possibility though Sedat, well at least as far as most recent attitude and perfomance is concerned, because our midfield and forward set doesn't contain the attributes to play that way.

I can't wait to see whether BM can turn the required players around to give us half a chance to make it happen though. This time of year with a new coach on board leaves me feeling optimistic that we can move the ball forward efficiently enough to allow our forwards to benefit from advantage, or at least be close enough to the contest to allow them to slow down the opposition to protect our defenders.

But realistically I'm concerned I'll turn into a pessimist prior to April closing out.

Remi Moses
04-11-2011, 05:13 AM
One of the few highlights.
Hell of a lot quicker, fitter and more agile than his first year.
Good on his non preferred

LostDoggy
04-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Depends what McCartney wants to do with our forward structure.

If Lake regains fitness, is tried down forward and works well with the likes of Grant and Jones then Markovic may become a mainstay down back as the KP defender duo with Williams.

If Morris' leg comes along well that'll also be a factor.

Mofra
04-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Ideally we would have Williams as our Harry Taylor, Markovic as our Lonergan and Lake as our Scarlett, with Morris taking the small forwards. If all are fit and in form, and if our mids work tirelessly defensively to protect the defenders from being exposed one-out, we still have the shell of an effective defensive unit.
That would suit us some weeks, although I get the feeling for rebound's sake we'd want Wood & Murphy in the back 6 and Schofield will be knocking down the door too, even if we release Picken to the midfield.

Bulldog Joe
04-11-2011, 10:48 AM
I see Markovic as someone who could play forward and I think a better option forward than Lake.

I did see marko go forward in a VFL game in 2010 and he led well. He has good hands and is a reliable kick. Lake is not a leading forward and his goal kicking would need to improve to be merely atrocious.

As a forward Brian can drift down and take an occasional speccy, but he needs to get right, play in his right position and rediscover his form before any thought of moving him forward is entertained.

The Doctor
04-11-2011, 11:13 AM
I see Markovic as someone who could play forward and I think a better option forward than Lake.

I did see marko go forward in a VFL game in 2010 and he led well. He has good hands and is a reliable kick. Lake is not a leading forward and his goal kicking would need to improve to be merely atrocious.

I think Marko is your classic deputy key defender. First in line for a call up when the frontline guys, Lake, Williams and Morris are unavailable or coming in with them when the match ups dictate it. That should be the priority.

however, I agree with you.

I know others won't like the idea citing his pace as a drawback. But he is a smart footballer and he can time his leads well. He is strong and will protect the flight of the ball better than some of these skinny quick forwards. He also played played forward in the TAC cup games and kicked the odd bag. He is at least worth a try.

ledge
06-11-2011, 10:08 AM
I think Marko is your classic deputy key defender. First in line for a call up when the frontline guys, Lake, Williams and Morris are unavailable or coming in with them when the match ups dictate it. That should be the priority.

however, I agree with you.

I know others won't like the idea citing his pace as a drawback. But he is a smart footballer and he can time his leads well. He is strong and will protect the flight of the ball better than some of these skinny quick forwards. He also played played forward in the TAC cup games and kicked the odd bag. He is at least worth a try.

How about both Lake and Markovic can go forward at times, not at the same time though, but ones a leading player the other a strong mark one on one if bombed.
Depend on opposition and game situation of course.

1eyedog
07-11-2011, 04:42 PM
He's a solid role player rather than a stand out individual backman. If the back six get up and running I think he can be a tower of strength with his ability to read the ball and spoil. With good players around him at the drop of the ball he can be super effective for us, without being brilliant.

I am close to picking Marko before Williams even though they are different players with different abilities.

LostDoggy
14-11-2011, 06:30 PM
I am close to picking Marko before Williams even though they are different players with different abilities.

This. Williams is more gifted atheletically so if we're looking at versatility in terms of match-ups he's important, but if we're talking about who of the two is a better out-and-out defender there is simply no comparison.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-11-2011, 07:37 PM
This. Williams is more gifted atheletically so if we're looking at versatility in terms of match-ups he's important, but if we're talking about who of the two is a better out-and-out defender there is simply no comparison.

For all the hype on Williams that the club delivered a few years ago, he really hasn't shown much outside of a handful of games has he?

w3design
14-11-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm a bit worried about Marko. There is a facebook photo of him which I commented on- it's on the dogs fb page. He's looking a little out of shape.

always right
15-11-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm a bit worried about Marko. There is a facebook photo of him which I commented on- it's on the dogs fb page. He's looking a little out of shape.

The camera can lie from time to time.

Mantis
15-11-2011, 01:30 PM
The camera can lie from time to time.

I'm yet to see a bad photo of Miranda Kerr. ;)

w3design
15-11-2011, 01:33 PM
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/303105_10150390075887487_356560647486_8402824_1424499970_n.j pg

Maddog37
15-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Looks solid but has a top on under his jumper which doesnt help.

If this is all we have to complain about then life is pretty good...........early days and as far as I have read he has no history of weight issues like the little fat man.

ledge
15-11-2011, 03:34 PM
I couldnt give a hoot how chubby he is if he can play footy, Greg Williams anyone?

KT31
15-11-2011, 10:24 PM
I couldnt give a hoot how chubby he is if he can play footy, Greg Williams anyone?

Lolly Bamblett anyone.;)

LostDoggy
16-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Lolly Bamblett anyone.;)

Stewie Dew anyone?

w3design
16-11-2011, 12:04 PM
yet we all wanted blood when Lake returned fat.

Well... I did.

Cyberdoggie
16-11-2011, 12:06 PM

Looks ok,

Mind you he's next to Ayce "skinny" Cordy there so perhaps that is what is making him look more rotund.

chef
16-11-2011, 06:27 PM
yet we all wanted blood when Lake returned fat.

Well... I did.

When was that?

w3design
16-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Last year when he played his first game

Don't tell me it was just me..

chef
17-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Last year when he played his first game

Don't tell me it was just me..

I got to meet him face to face at our round one game against Essendon and to me(and my wife commented to him about it) he looked thinner than usual.

BulldogBelle
17-11-2011, 10:52 AM
I got to meet him face to face at our round one game against Essendon and to me(and my wife commented to him about it) he looked thinner than usual.

Didnt Lake come back last season much lighter than the weight he played at in previous seasons?

Thats something that would take a while to adjust to - he was used to pushing guys around, and with his multiple injuries, and being 5kgs less, it was probably a major shock to his mind

w3design
17-11-2011, 12:24 PM
what the hell am I on about then?

I thought, especially in the Geelong game, that he had a bit of a spare tyre going.

comrade
17-11-2011, 10:31 PM

I thought, especially in the Geelong game, that he had a bit of a spare tyre going.

He's never been the buffest unit going around but he certainly didn't look fit last year. I reckon some muscle definition was replaced by a bit of pudding.

KT31
18-11-2011, 06:10 PM

Loss of muscle due to lack of pre-season maybe.
I thought he looked slimmer at the start of the season.