PDA

View Full Version : The Passion

Twodogs
04-11-2011, 01:43 PM
I've got a confession to make.

In football terms 2011 may as well not have happened for me. For some reason I just couldnt get interested in football. I only went to one game live and I only watched a few games on TV- maybe if a friend rang and asked if I wanted to watch. I think I only watched two or three games independently of external encouragement.

It wasnt because we had a shit year. The malaise set in earlier than that. Usually I am at most preseason sessions and really enjoy watching them. Last summer I could only force myself to go to a few sessions, usually hung around for 15 minutes then left. I watched the first game against Essendon (on and off, anyway) thought "Yeah, I was kind of expecting that to happen. Funny but I'm not that upset" but then the expected increase in my interest over the next few weeks just didnt happen. Win or lose over the first four or five rounds I just couldnt bring myself to care. After that I hardly knew who we were playing from week to week.

I was really busy with work and study. Early in the year I had a big personal problem I had to face up to that took a lot of time and organisation. Then one of my kids was having problems that took up a lot of my time and energy (all under control now thankfully). I faced up to the fact that my son wasnt ever going to be as interested in footy as I was and that soccer was his game of choice so I spent far more time watching him play games for his club than I did with watching footy.

Usually when I've had problems my refuge was footy nut I just couldnt get into it. In short I was starting to worry that I had lost my passion for the club in particular and my interest in the game in general.

But now I can feel the interest starting to come back. I dont know what's changed but I am really looking forward to preseason starting next monday. I plan to be at the ground on monday morning hail or shine to see what the new coaching regime does differently to the old one.

Maybe it's Brendan McCartney's appointment. Maybe it's me and I just needed a timeout after a lifetime of preoccupation with the club. Maybe it's because the pressures on my personal life has eased. I really dont know what it was but jeez I'm pleased that I'm over it and I'm actually looking forward to preseason and then the season proper starting.

Maddog37
04-11-2011, 02:00 PM
I think when your expectations drop from flag contention often it frees you up. You get to enjoy the game for what it is and the many funny/scary/heartwarming moments without caring so much about winning or losing. That's my takes anyways.

Twodogs
04-11-2011, 02:23 PM
I think when your expectations drop from flag contention often it frees you up. You get to enjoy the game for what it is and the many funny/scary/heartwarming moments without caring so much about winning or losing. That's my takes anyways.

I have to admit that THREE (That's 3, count them God, 3!!!) prelim final losses in a row shook really my faith a bit. But even though we were at least expecting to make the finals this year couldnt shake me out of my lack of interest and general Meh!ness about footy in the last 18 months.

I realise it's insane but I'm really looking forward to just improving next year. I dont care where we finish or what our win/loss ratio is. As long as we make progress then I'll be happier than if we made the finals in 2011 and bowed out again before the big dance.

Scraggers
04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
I completely understand what you are saying Twodogs; and the ebb and flow of passion is completely natural.

When the expectations were put on us to make the grand final in 2011, I honestly felt flat; I was unsure that that was the best avenue for our club ... In short, I thought we were set up for failure. (20/20 hindsight)

It made it hard for me to get enthused. (Also having two small children and living in WA, I only get to watch a few games a year anyway).

Like others on this board, the constant rule changes, introduction of new clubs, compromised drafts etc dampen my love for our great game, AFL. The game I fell in love with in the 70s and 80s is no more ... this made it harder to watch as well.

I love my club ... I will always love my club ... This is a given. But the passion I feel for the game in general is not.

Unfortunately, I don't share your increased enthusiasm yet. The new coach breathes life for me (somewhat) but as I have stated before, I would prefer that Rocket was still in charge.

I face 2012 with a dubious outlook ... positive to an extent (as with most years) but definitely not enthusiasm.

hujsh
04-11-2011, 03:34 PM
I have felt the same way this year and it is absolutely the possibilities of new coach that has renewed my interest.

The Coon Dog
04-11-2011, 03:56 PM
I have to admit I'm a bit like you Twodogs.

This season my son took up umpiring in the WRFL & I found much more enjoyment to be had going to the local footy where everything just seemed simple.

You actually saw volunteers doing what needed to get sides out on to the ground & people helping out in canteens.

After the game people caught up with one another & you were made to feel welcome.

The game didn't seem to be confusing with tactics. There was no press, kids just did what kids do & chased kicks.

Next year with greater umpiring commitments there is every chance I'll miss half our games, but that doesn't worry me.

I just can't get enthused & I think alot of it is the game itself. Take the draft, I used to love it as this approached, wondering who the next Bulldogs superstar was but this year GWS have 9 of the fist 11 picks. The new franchises have ripped the heart out of our club, not once, but twice! Callan Ward going really cut me up, big time. Just the fact that we could draft a bloody good kid who put his head over the ball, starts to really improve & the cheque books come out & whisk him away. I HATE GWS for that!

I love the Bulldogs, but I don't love the game anymore.

Remi Moses
04-11-2011, 04:16 PM

Agree with this Maddog.Way more stressful when we're going well, I just reckon with the extra media, social networks available there's more tension and scrutiny.I also reckon the style of footy played now adds to the tension.

LostDoggy
04-11-2011, 04:38 PM
I have to admit that THREE (That's 3, count them God, 3!!!) prelim final losses in a row shook really my faith a bit. But even though we were at least expecting to make the finals this year couldnt shake me out of my lack of interest and general Meh!ness about footy in the last 18 months.

I realise it's insane but I'm really looking forward to just improving next year. I dont care where we finish or what our win/loss ratio is. As long as we make progress then I'll be happier than if we made the finals in 2011 and bowed out again before the big dance.

Twodogs

Just as long as you don't lose the passion for the sound of the thwack through covers and the in-dipper that traps the unwary dead in front.

To say nothing for the money to be made out of no-balls:D

bornadog
04-11-2011, 05:10 PM
For those of us who have been around for awhile and seen us come close to getting in to the grand final and not make it, you almost get sick of it (Footy) and the passion dies just that little bit every year.

I for one am sick and tired of not making the grand final let alone winning one and admittedly the passion died a bit this year. I have supported the club through thick and thin but as you get older its hard to keep the passion up. Early on this year we looked like we were once again in a position that we won't make a final so premierships were a pipe dream.Then I started thinking about next year and thinking, here we go again, going through the same old same old and would we ever make it?

I love the club, I still love footy, its a great game even with Vlads rule changes (even though they frustrate me). I look at clubs like Collingwood who are just getting bigger and bigger and wealthier and wealthier and it makes me sick to the stomach. Then again, I go down to the Whitten Oval and see the facilities and what has been done and think, just maybe, if we can snatch a premiership, the whole Western Suburbs will come alive and our supporter base will grow.

Not sure what I think of next year, but my expectations are not high so if we make the finals, I will be shocked and it will be a bonus.

ReLoad
04-11-2011, 05:41 PM
There certainly was a malaise in 2011 no question, I Like two dogs only went to a couple of games, work and life all taking over at some point.

However there were times I would walk out the door, see a single grey cloud some 5k’s away and think, nah looks like it will rain and watch it on TV, of course only stop watching after the 1st quarter.

I put it down to a couple of things.
Firstly starting the season the right way, we got belted by the bombers who are a crap team, I think right from then everyone knew we were in trouble.

Secondly, I hate being the favourite, perhaps it stems back from the 80’s at school when nobody gave 2 hoots about the dogs, but we would pull off some sort of miraculous win against the odds, and I would proudly parade around in my dufflecoat singing the praises of Simon Beasley and how Doug Hawkins should be prime minister. – I know it wasn’t winning a flag, but jeez those moments felt good. Even ’97 was the same, nobody expected us to be there, nobody saw us coming, we almost bloody pinched it.

It really was much simpler back then, every game was on a Saturday afternoon and everyone in the known universe didn’t plan anything at that time, it was footy time, end of story. Nowdays we’re playing in every timezone known to mankind, the Icelandic TV ratings are well up, so more 3am games to come in 2013. There is no pattern, no routine, so it makes missing games much easier.

Lastly its a combination of small things, the rule changes, the AFL administration, the haves and the have nots, the fact that we lose players to bucket loads of cash and other clubs don’t, its the fact that a pie at the footy costs more than a car, the footy record even costs more than the latest John Grisham. Footy is not as much fun as it used to be, its not as tribal as it once was.

I’ll still buy my membership, ill still be in the social club, ill still have my reserved seat every year, consider it a donation, but somehow, it has lost its gloss.

Maybe its the time of the year when we should forget about footy.....

LostDoggy
04-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Strange, but I felt a little that way too this year! In July, I started going to Storm games and really enjoyed them (yikes!). I didn't stop going to the football, but it just didn't seem to be the same. Was it because we had a fairly ordinary year, or was it in fact, the hangover of three lost prelims? Who knows? I'm trying to get excited about the changes at the club, and perhaps it will come. However, I am moving interstate next year (hopefully in the first half) so I'm not going to get to see much of my beloved doggies. I will never stop loving my club, nor will I ever barrack for another AFL side but perhaps for me, mentally I am trying to adjust to not being able to attend many games in 2012? I am still a proud and paid up member though, nothing will change that! I just gave up my reserved seat at Doglands because I couldn't justify the cost seeing I wasn't going to be here. I am hoping this forum will be my lifeline to my team next year when I am in northern NSW. I will be going to watch my dishlickers up at the Gold Coast and perhaps even at BrisVegas - it won't be far to drive! But I will miss going down to training on my days off, and having a coffee at the Pound. :(

Greystache
04-11-2011, 06:47 PM
I was the same Twodogs, I went into this season with virtually no enthusiasm at all. I was hopeful early in the year, say around January, but by the time I'd watched our practice matches and match play at training, I knew it was going to be a long and painful year. I think when the past 3 seasons had all gone the same way, smash the bottom teams, beat the middle of the road teams, and lose to all the top teams it makes it hard to get excited.

Yes, seeing the team win regularly is nice, but when you know before the games are played that you won't beat the top teams, regardless of who it happens to be at the time, it has the whole "dancing with your sister" feel about it. We weren't improving, we weren't changing anything, and the results were going to stay the same.

If we hadn't made significant changes to the coaching panel I would’ve found it extremely difficult to gather up the motivation to go each week next year. But with the talk coming out of the club recently, the focus on improving our weaknesses, and some pretty exciting young kids, I find myself really enthusiastic about next year now. I expect us to win less games next year, but I'm hopeful the season will have less of a formulaic feel about it.

Hotdog60
04-11-2011, 07:16 PM
For me footy is a religion, and I have an undying faith in the Red, White and Blue.

The only thing I feel is depression between seasons and I feel lost in a void, maybe being in a non AFL state might have something to do with it because there is nothing about football worth reading about.

I haven't been battered by 3 prelims and cannot wait for the NAB cup to start.:D

Bring it on.....

Mantis
04-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Footy sucks.

Cricket sucks.

Horse racing sucks.... besides BC... but she needs a challenge.

Looking forward to the golf season, especially the President's Cup and that's about it...

AndrewP6
04-11-2011, 10:02 PM
I haven't yet jumped aboard the "Get Excited, There's A New Coach" train. I would've preferred they stick with Eade, and I'm cynical we'll see much of a turnaround, at least in 2012. I can see us being in the bottom 8 for the next few years, and the prospect of regular beatings doesn't thrill me - I much preferred the feeling of knowing we were in with a good chance come September.

That said, I'll still be there. I enjoy going out to the games, getting away from 'stuff', and screaming and carrying on for a couple of hours... (it's just that bit more enjoyable when you're winning a few!)

Maddog37
04-11-2011, 10:26 PM
No matter win or lose it is time I spend with my family and I get to see the light gradually brighten in my sons eyes as to why football is such a wonderful game.

Also I was having a few quiet beers at the golf club tonight and up rocks my 9 year old wearing his Dogs jumper with 17 on the back. It is a shared love and really adds to the equation. Go Dogs.

GetDimmaBack
04-11-2011, 10:48 PM
I have to admit I'm a bit like you Twodogs.

This season my son took up umpiring in the WRFL & I found much more enjoyment to be had going to the local footy where everything just seemed simple.

You actually saw volunteers doing what needed to get sides out on to the ground & people helping out in canteens.

After the game people caught up with one another & you were made to feel welcome.

The game didn't seem to be confusing with tactics. There was no press, kids just did what kids do & chased kicks.

Next year with greater umpiring commitments there is every chance I'll miss half our games, but that doesn't worry me.

I just can't get enthused & I think alot of it is the game itself. Take the draft, I used to love it as this approached, wondering who the next Bulldogs superstar was but this year GWS have 9 of the fist 11 picks. The new franchises have ripped the heart out of our club, not once, but twice! Callan Ward going really cut me up, big time. Just the fact that we could draft a bloody good kid who put his head over the ball, starts to really improve & the cheque books come out & whisk him away. I HATE GWS for that!

I love the Bulldogs, but I don't love the game anymore.

Feel exactly the same.

I also must admit to being a bit uninterested this year. Not sure why, maybe something to do with the new clubs and the realisation that Ward was going led to a growing cynicism about footy in general.

Have reserved seats at Etihad, but went to only 3 games this season...

Ghost Dog
04-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Rubbing my hands in anticipation guys. Pumped about having people with finals experience in our club. Yes, Bit snarly over the Rocket dumping. However, can't wait to see what the new dogs bring us. These guys, King and Bmac are not from just any finals team; perhaps the greatest finals stable to date.

In terms of players, Barry was my 'man love' for some time. Champion, Just loved watching him play and win loose or draw would just roll up to watch him prowl the 50. For now, Not sure if we have any player that I can really get that excited about at the moment. Think my new fan fav will be Dahlhaus - as he made a sour 2011 a bit sweeter.

Happy Days
05-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Footy is the best thing ever, never going to not be.

Can't wait for the season to start, a little coz cricket season is going to suck worse than anything, but mainly because footy rocks.

SonofScray
05-11-2011, 12:28 AM
I have had a similar experience the past two seasons. Honestly, the way the squad has gone about their footy in recent seasons, it just seemed very clinical and ho hum, we won games we were supposed to and lost the games we weren't good enough to win. I just felt like we never had a clear advantage over the other teams in contention and were just going through the motions waiting for our turn to get bundled out.

Then this season we just played a very listless, impotent brand of footy. Very few overt displays of passion and even fewer demonstrations of great skill and organisation. Watching the guys go about it was as big a chore as it seemed it was for them to play the game. Heart breaking feeling.

Generally I am a bit sick and tired of the AFL, but I still love the Footscray Football Club. I really want to see us have a bumper season and define ourselves through the type of footy dished up, I really want to be proud of the way our team goes about things. Brendan seems to be pointing in that direction so I'm keen to see what 2012 has to offer.

Twodogs
05-11-2011, 01:11 AM
Twodogs

Just as long as you don't lose the passion for the sound of the thwack through covers and the in-dipper that traps the unwary dead in front.

That'll never happen. Cricket is my autistic passion and always will be. The only difference is I love to see the look of non belief on a batsman's face as he trudges from the pitch after failing to pick a quality legspinner's wrong 'un and getting stumped or a brilliant catch made to look as easy as shelling peas by a quality slips fieldsman.

LostDoggy
05-11-2011, 01:27 AM
Twodogs

To say nothing for the money to be made out of no-balls:D

Who would have thought huh? Makes one wonder how much could have been made from leg byes, overthrows and other assorted sundries.

LostDoggy
05-11-2011, 01:36 AM
ps. I've said this in plenty of other threads over the year, but I am absolutely over football and have been for a long time. The Dogs are the only reason I give a toss, and the Ward saga just tainted the already devalued product even further.

The AFL are stupid -- as a parochial type sport, we are never going to compete with the soccers and basketballs of the world by expansion alone.. what, are they expecting to launch a team in Asia or Europe or even New Zealand? Not bloody likely.

What made footy great was how ridiculously passionate we got about a game that no one else cared about. WE made it great, and now they've taken it away from us and given it to the media and corporate dollars just like every other sport. Well, compete with every other sport on those terms and footy will die a slow death.

When footy was 100,000 rabid fans turning up to a Grand Final to watch a brutal classic, it had a soul and a culture and a future. When the Grand Final is now an event for $5000 corporate box tickets and inaccessible to the average punter and a stage for ludicrous pre-game crap and cringeworthy try-hard faux drama cooked up by the media, it's just another form of entertainment competing with other sports, the movies, etc. and is nothing special anymore. The AFL are lucky the core of the game itself is still awesome, although they do seem determined to destroy even that through changing it beyond all recognition.

In a sense, football died a long time ago, and I miss it.

jeemak
05-11-2011, 04:17 AM
Lantern, I agree with a lot of what you've written. But, I will say that going to a GF this year for the first time since 1999 was a serious buzz.

I am lucky enough (when it comes to these types of games) to be in a corporate role that allows me to get some tickets from time to time, but I'm not far enough up the tree to sit in a box for GF's. My day consisted of a lunch with a couple of clients, and seats in the top level of the Southern Stand on the flank amongst genuine supporters. Sure, the fact it was Collingwood vs Geelong helped, but the atmosphere was sensational. I saw Geelong completely dismantle a cocky Collingwood by playing great hard and skillful football, and we timed our arrival so we didn't get caught up in the pre-game rubbish. It was a great day all round, and the product on show was exceptional.

I think the game has become too cynical on many fronts though, the emphasis on cross town rivalry only centering on a few large Melbourne clubs (not counting the two cross town derbys two team cities get) that bring in revenue twice a year is a big one for me. It seems that irrespective of how well you perform, you don't get the chance to create your own fortune. The AFL has continually stated that their doctrine is to maximise attendance, gate revenue and TV rights, and this only results in a certain few clubs' supporters having a game here and there where it means something from a rivalry perspective, even if they're not doing very well. The rest of us fight it out for ourselves.

Our club, if it doesn't start performing again within the span of the next TV rights will be called upon to justify its position within the league, and if we don't put ourselves forward as a well managed club on and off the field in that time we are going to be in serious trouble. The current TV deal will only protect us for its duration, and after that all bets are off.

I'll never be critical of anyone losing the passion for the game in general, and losing the motivation to watch the games week in, week out. I did it between 2001 and 2004, but now my time has freed up from not having to play on the weekends I hope I don't do it again. But, if there isn't any improvement from our list, and we keep getting pathetic draws on the back of an unneven fixture then I fear I'm going to run out of steam over the coming years.

chef
05-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Footy sucks.

Cricket sucks.

Horse racing sucks.... besides BC... but she needs a challenge.

Looking forward to the golf season, especially the President's Cup and that's about it...

You could add that the A League sucks too.

Thank god for the EPL and NFL(I would like to say NAB as well, but that don't look good).

BulldogBelle
05-11-2011, 08:32 AM
My biggest disappointment is that our new coach has failed us on his first test. One delisting, Stack, just the one. Crikey. Another year with a team full of dead players.

How disappointing. How deflating. I'd love to see the likes of Mulligan, Addison, Gilbee, Hargrave, Hooper, Djerrkura and Moles attain or recapture AFL standard play. But it will not happen. Opportunities and resources lost and wasted again.

Ghost Dog
05-11-2011, 10:55 AM
My biggest disappointment is that our new coach has failed us on his first test. One delisting, Stack, just the one. Crikey. Another year with a team full of dead players.

How disappointing. How deflating. I'd love to see the likes of Mulligan, Addison, Gilbee, Hargrave, Hooper, Djerrkura and Moles attain or recapture AFL standard play. But it will not happen. Opportunities and resources lost and wasted again.

Sorry but Moles I am not sure of. He was injured right?
Before that he looked ok, and quite acceptable in AFL standard.
His main issue I felt was an over-zealousness to try and run through a pack that would see him get caught. After seeing him do this a few times, I felt it was more a case of wanting to try a little too hard. Actually, That's not an overly a negative thing. It's good to have a hairy set of coconuts, it's just knowing the right time comes with a little experience.
In short, I reckon he has enough at his age to give us a return. thoughts?

Always remember that running goal at Canberra. Sure, don't judge a man on one play I hear the naysayers drone. Still, it was a beauty.

DJ is another that I feel is getting a rough trot in here.

soupman
05-11-2011, 11:10 AM
As someone who was confused as to what the word "refresh" meant when Eade was sacked I've finally come to realise it's meaning to me.

everything starts again. My expectations have changed. Under Eade (and this wasn't even necessarily his fault), we consistently did the following: Thrashed shit teams, had mixed results against middle of the road teams, often with unsatisfying wins by 20 points where we should've won by a lot more if we were as ruthless and unforgiving as we would hope, and lose to the top sides. How many exciting last quarter comebacks have we made to just fall short? Have any of them actually resulted in wins?

McCartney gives me a possibly unfounded belief that all this may change. I'm hoping that he can change the character of the side to make games against top sides winnable and not just an honourable loss after a gallant last quarter as the best option. I also enjoy games more when we are the underdog, because when we win in a thriller against Melbourne in the wet I'll be able to enjoy it properly instead of be dissapointed we let such a shit side almost beat us.

The Coon Dog
05-11-2011, 01:30 PM

I don't disagree with the thrust of your point, just wonder how it gets managed financially given they are nearly all contracted. If you chop off 6 contracted players who are on a combined payment of a million dollars, that million dollars still counts in the salary cap even though the players have been delisted.

1eyedog
05-11-2011, 04:17 PM
I think you need to take a good book on a holiday or, like me, you can console yourself with the cricket season on the couch.

LongWait
05-11-2011, 07:59 PM

You've jumped the gun a bit. Final lists are not due to be lodged until 16 November, although I don't think we'll see much movement, if any.

Did you really expect the new coach to come in and insist on the immediate delisting of eight players, almost all of whom are under contract?

1eyedog
05-11-2011, 10:49 PM
You've jumped the gun a bit. Final lists are not due to be lodged until 16 November, although I don't think we'll see much movement, if any.

Did you really expect the new coach to come in and insist on the immediate delisting of eight players, almost all of whom are under contract?

If only.

What a statement this would have been. Gilbee and Hargrave respectfully get to see out their contracts then are tapped on the shoulder.

ledge
06-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Well a new coach would certainly want to see what he has got before he delists, and needs to look at who the club can afford to let go then look at whos in draft they might get to replace them.
So a common sense move to wait until the due diligence is done.

Twodogs
06-11-2011, 12:23 PM

Well a new coach would certainly want to see what he has got before he delists, and needs to look at who the club can afford to let go then look at whos in draft they might get to replace them.
So a common sense move to wait until the due diligence is done.

I tend to agree with ledge. The new coach will want to see how some guys us supporters have written of will respond to his methods before he gets out the axe. I still think he may make players out of Moles and Djerrkura.

I also havent given up on Hooper being able to carve out an AFL career, the kid must have something he was the joint winner of the Larke medal at the U/18 championships in 2009. With a new coach who is renowned on being a teaching coach and getting the best out of players Hooper might still be a player.

James Cuming, I see your point and agree on the merits of some of the guys you mention but like a couple of posters have metioned we have our hands tied because nearly every guy you've listed have contracts for next season and as a club we just cant afford to go pissing money up against the wall paying out multiple contracts early and then paying even more money contracting new players to replace them. Mulligan is a mystery to me though. He wasnt contracted for next year as far as I know.

Remi Moses
06-11-2011, 03:59 PM
I don't disagree with the thrust of your point, just wonder how it gets managed financially given they are nearly all contracted. If you chop off 6 contracted players who are on a combined payment of a million dollars, that million dollars still counts in the salary cap even though the players have been delisted.

Exactly, you just can't dump contracted players. Someone else will go you'd think by mid Nov
Bit surprised if Mulligan and Addison are both still there.

Mantis
06-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Bit surprised if Mulligan and Addison are both still there.

Addison is re-signed for next year.

Dazza
06-11-2011, 11:54 PM
This year was a tough slog. Expectations were high and we failed to fire a shot. The biggest disappointment for me was our recruits that were supposed to add pace and flair to the side but in reality they did neither.

Nothing went right this year.

We were right behind the 8 ball in terms of game plan and from there it didn't get any better with injuries to key players. Once we started to play the kids and had conceeded we couldn't make the finals it made it easier for me to watch.

Pretty excited about next year though.

KT31
07-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Addison is re-signed for next year.

:confused::(:o:eek::mad:

Ghost Dog
11-11-2011, 04:16 PM
This year was a tough slog. Expectations were high and we failed to fire a shot. The biggest disappointment for me was our recruits that were supposed to add pace and flair to the side but in reality they did neither.

Nothing went right this year.

We were right behind the 8 ball in terms of game plan and from there it didn't get any better with injuries to key players. Once we started to play the kids and had conceeded we couldn't make the finals it made it easier for me to watch.

Pretty excited about next year though.

Nothing? Zero percent?
Let me jog your memory.
One thing went very right and Me and my dad enjoyed every moment
For your viewing pleasure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihRjviXY5FE

Dazza
11-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Nothing? Zero percent?
Let me jog your memory.

I really enjoyed that win. Plus our win against Richmond who had won 3 in a row prior to playing us.

Drunken Bum
11-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Nothing? Zero percent?
Let me jog your memory.

beating the scum is great at any time.

How ordinary was the voice over guy there, seriously it almost put me to sleep surely it isn't that difficult to find someone who isn't mind numbingly boring and who doesn't detract from the whole experience of watching the highlights.

The Underdog
13-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Going back to the OP, it's funny but I've often felt my love for football is running on the fumes of my childhood obsession. There's this intrinsic unexplainable thing that makes me just turn towards football despite the fact that it feels like everything is pushing me away from it. 2011 was an odd year. The ever expanding family and my work commitments which combined with my 2-3 hour daily commute span weekends, space and time meant that I just didn't go to that many games. I'm also kind of sick of this feeling from supporters that the club somehow owes success for the commitment that we give as members. The connection I felt to the club through this forum has dissipated also.
I'll continue to be a member of the club but it's becoming increasingly more of an option to step away from caring at the level that I have in the past. The fact that I can make the decision on a rational level is wierd enough.
Anyway, I like what I've seen of McCartney so far. Good luck to him.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-11-2011, 09:48 PM
It's amazing how many people felt the same about 2011. Perhaps we were all lifeless after consecutive preliminary final losses and constant disappointment. We were always a chance, but never a chance -- if that makes any kind of logical sense.

I had a few things going on a month out from the season opener, so football wasn't high on my agenda. I figured it would come back thick and fast once things got going, but it never did. Support around where we sit was quite lame too, especially in comparison with previous seasons.

I guess 2011 was the first year that I put other priorities before the Dogs. As the season progressed, I read very little on AFL/our team and missed a few games that usually I'd always attend.

Things are slowly turning. Losing Ward, the sub rule, the expansion teams and the AFL's ridiculous and incompetent rule changes still leaves me in the dark though. It frustrates me and I no longer care about anything besides our side.

The new coaching panel and changes to the club have me more interested than I would have been. I'm looking forward to the draft too. However, despite being a little upbeat, it's not like I am missing football or counting the days 'til its return. Hopefully by March I'll be a lot different.

LostDoggy
14-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Not me. Admittedly, I'm a lot younger than some, and my suffering has only been going on for 29.5 years, rather than 50 plus. So I'll pay my respects to those who feel they've lost the groove. Fair enough, perhaps.

But not me. The one thing that Terry Wallace taught me in 1997 was that every year is another chance to do anything. We were in such a shit place at the end of 1996. We had no money, questions on everybody at the club, and no real chance of doing anything. Sound familiar?

Realistically, we can point at the list and say we'll finish between 9-13. I see this as our most likely result next year. But I'm 100% psyched for the season knowing that we just may get a surprise.

I didn't feel that three-in-a-row prelim losses were a downer on the future, they just reinforced my theory that my passion comes from not knowing. So every year the passion just grows. Watching every game, every contest, every shot at goal, just not knowing what's going to happen, this is what makes our game great. Its unpredictability means it's more exciting than more formulaic sports such as soccer and rugby. Ice hockey is similar in this regard, and it's what makes both sports so enriching for the spectator.

One day we'll make it. I see that as a fact. Sydney got there after 72 years. So will we. Every year I wait will just make that day all the sweeter. I had the privilege to watch the 2005 Grand Final with a Sydney Swans/ex-South Melbourne fan who'd been a Bloods nut for all of her 43 years. Suffice to say, I eagerly await my turn.

Keep the faith guys. When we do it, it'll be the journey it took that makes your guts turn, not the sight of a metal cup. We'll feel ten times better than any Carlton or Essendon fan ever did. We'll do it the hard way, and feel the achievement that comes with that.

And I do think we're on the right path to that day. So yeah, bring on 2012!