PDA

View Full Version : More resignings

LostDoggy
07-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Yet again not through the official channels but the AFL Players Association just tweeted

Dahlhaus & Panos have been upgraded to the senior list, while Jones, Howard, Addison & Markovic have re-signed with the Dogs

Great news regarding Howard. Even though its not out of BulldgsHQ I'm taking this as official news. Still nothing regarding Mulligan.

bornadog
07-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Yet again not through the official channels but the AFL Players Association just tweeted

Great news regarding Howard. Even though its not out of BulldgsHQ I'm taking this as official news. Still nothing regarding Mulligan.

Pretty poor communiction coming from the club.

The Coon Dog
07-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Bulldogs Luke Dahlhaus one of six players to sign new contacts

Rebecca Williams - Herald Sun - 7 November

THE Western Bulldogs have signed six young players, including livewire Luke Dahlhaus, to new contracts.

Dahlhaus and forward Matthew Panos have been promoted to the senior list, while Liam Jones, Christian Howard, Dylan Addison and Lukas Markovic have resigned with the club.

Article in full...
(http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/six-pups-sign-new-dog-deals/story-e6frf9jf-1226187128828)

Desipura
07-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Bulldogs Luke Dahlhaus one of six players to sign new contacts

Rebecca Williams - Herald Sun - 7 November

THE Western Bulldogs have signed six young players, including livewire Luke Dahlhaus, to new contracts.

Dahlhaus and forward Matthew Panos have been promoted to the senior list, while Liam Jones, Christian Howard, Dylan Addison and Lukas Markovic have resigned with the club.

Article in full...
(http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/six-pups-sign-new-dog-deals/story-e6frf9jf-1226187128828)
Why re-sign Addison?

The Bulldogs Bite
07-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Why re-sign Addison?

I'd assume we've re-signed him for one year, which makes sense.

Still can't believe we didn't cut/pay out Mulligans contract.

Desipura
07-11-2011, 03:07 PM
I'd assume we've re-signed him for one year, which makes sense.

Doesnt make sense to me. We could/should have delisted him. He should only play senior footy if we have a heap of injuries. Would have preferred we picked up another kid.

Remi Moses
07-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Surprised to be honest with Addison staying, and even with a new coach I can't see Dylan improving. Just has to many holes in his game

1eyedog
07-11-2011, 04:40 PM
I can see McCartney liking something in Dylan. I think Macca likes the hard nuts and may have aa specific role that he thinks Dylan might be ale to fill.

It remains to be seen what he can do with him.

Prince Imperial
07-11-2011, 05:22 PM

In the articles today the club has stated we've completed our new contracts and that we will have four picks in the national draft (though one may be used for the pre-season). This only confirms that Mulligan was already under contract for next year which must mean that he was given three years after spending two years in the VFL reserves on the rookie list. That is truly unbelievable!

BulldogBelle
07-11-2011, 05:35 PM
In the articles today the club has stated we've completed our new contracts and that we will have four picks in the national draft (though one may be used for the pre-season). This only confirms that Mulligan was already under contract for next year which must mean that he was given three years after spending two years in the VFL reserves on the rookie list. That is truly unbelievable!

4 picks

We would get better value for pick 80 that we received from Brisbane than we would with Spike Mulligan

Crazy that he was given 4 years - hadnt played a senior game, not many games for Willy seniors, and no other clubs knocking down the door for his services

Rocco Jones
07-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Is there any chance Mulligan was already contracted for next season, hence not being delisted? Surely that could be the only reason?

I really think Addison should have got the chop but if anyone has to survive, I am happy it's a guy like him. It's a good promotion for having a great attitude.

The Coon Dog
07-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Is there any chance Mulligan was already contracted for next season, hence not being delisted? Surely that could be the only reason?

He could have some photos! :eek:

LostDoggy
07-11-2011, 06:52 PM
I really think Addison should have got the chop but if anyone has to survive, I am happy it's a guy like him. It's a good promotion for having a great attitude.

Won't get into the Mulligan business (my views have been made elsewhere) but I agree with this re: Addison. In a manic, chaotic, play on at all times team, a guy like Dylan would look slow and out of place (heck, a ball magnet like Boydy sometimes looked out of place trying to play at a crazy tempo all game), but if Macca decides to go more deliberate, win the ball out of the middle/lock it in, big bodied style (which, really, is our only choice next year), Dylan suddenly looks like he may be able to play a role through the middle, especially defensively.

A poor man's poor man's (not a typo) Jimmy Bartel (also not a typo -- I know Dylan is not half the player Jimmy is, thus the double 'poor man', but I think with some improvement can play a similar role without being a matchwinner). Just seriously needs to keep his feet in every contest all over the ground and he'll improve 50%.

LostDoggy
07-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Another Tweet, this time from Patrick Keane regarding rookies:

2012 Retained Rookies - W Bull; J Johanissen.

So sounds like the rumour we cut Barlow was correct. JJ made lots of improvement towards the end of the year, hopefully he can keep it up.

Keane then listed clubs who have asked for unlisted players to train, so far only 7 clubs have asked, we weren't one of them.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-11-2011, 07:50 PM
I think signing Addison to a one year contract is acceptable, given he'll probably be delisted next year. We are obviously going to load up with picks in the better draft. It makes sense.

However, I do agree that anyone would have been better than Mulligan - hence we should have made one more delisting.

Interesting re: Barlow, but it's the right decision. If the previous coaching panel was still around, I'd almost bet he would have been elevated onto the senior list - or at the very least, kept on the rookie list. The reality is, though, he's not good enough and would only be holding us back from developing somebody else.

ledge
07-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Another Tweet, this time from Patrick Keane regarding rookies:

So sounds like the rumour we cut Barlow was correct. JJ made lots of improvement towards the end of the year, hopefully he can keep it up.

Keane then listed clubs who have asked for unlisted players to train, so far only 7 clubs have asked, we weren't one of them.

Haha I was about to ask who is W.Bull

Prince Imperial
07-11-2011, 08:49 PM
4 picks

We would get better value for pick 80 that we received from Brisbane than we would with Spike Mulligan

Crazy that he was given 4 years - hadnt played a senior game, not many games for Willy seniors, and no other clubs knocking down the door for his services

Whoever his manager was at the time should widely advertise this fact - no doubt he would get a few extra clients.

Mantis
07-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Won't get into the Mulligan business (my views have been made elsewhere) but I agree with this re: Addison. In a manic, chaotic, play on at all times team, a guy like Dylan would look slow and out of place (heck, a ball magnet like Boydy sometimes looked out of place trying to play at a crazy tempo all game), but if Macca decides to go more deliberate, win the ball out of the middle/lock it in, big bodied style (which, really, is our only choice next year), Dylan suddenly looks like he may be able to play a role through the middle, especially defensively.

A poor man's poor man's (not a typo) Jimmy Bartel (also not a typo -- I know Dylan is not half the player Jimmy is, thus the double 'poor man', but I think with some improvement can play a similar role without being a matchwinner). Just seriously needs to keep his feet in every contest all over the ground and he'll improve 50%.

It all sounds good, but the cold hard facts are that he just isn't up to it.

And it isn't like he picks up big numbers in the VFL like Cross did when he was on the 'outer'.

Mantis
07-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Interesting re: Barlow, but it's the right decision. If the previous coaching panel was still around, I'd almost bet he would have been elevated onto the senior list - or at the very least, kept on the rookie list. The reality is, though, he's not good enough and would only be holding us back from developing somebody else.

I think it's a way harsh decision. Barlow did pretty well when he played in a suitable role against Adel & GC... He obviously wasn't suited to filling in as a key defender when we were short of numbers in defence, but he competed reasonably well.

He is never going to be a star, but he is a solid role player and has 2 very handy attributes, he can kick and he can run.

always right
07-11-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm happy for the club to give Addison one more shot and I certainly prefer him to Barlow. Haven't given up on the new coach making something of Dylan.

w3design
07-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Sad Barlow has gone i thought he was one player gave his all . He tried his guts out .

Ghost Dog
07-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Kept Mulligan, Addison , offered stack another year, but ejected Barlow, ... I'm filthy about that. in his 8 games I thought he gave it a good crack.
Went to two or three of the games he played in. Thought he was the least of our problems.

Maddog37
07-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Maybe Barlow has had a better offer.

Rocco Jones
07-11-2011, 11:29 PM

In times like these I use 'poverty stricken man's...'

Ghost Dog
08-11-2011, 12:45 AM
Maybe Barlow has had a better offer.

Ok could be. Just going on the basis he was cut from our list. who knows. WB are not that forthcoming with info on that stuff.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-11-2011, 02:42 AM
I think it's a way harsh decision. Barlow did pretty well when he played in a suitable role against Adel & GC... He obviously wasn't suited to filling in as a key defender when we were short of numbers in defence, but he competed reasonably well.

He is never going to be a star, but he is a solid role player and has 2 very handy attributes, he can kick and he can run.

Adelaide and GC were crap - even worse than us.

Barlow was terrible before and after those games. He was also poor in the VFL Grand Final that I saw. He is a shocking defender and can't win enough ball to play midfield. Basically - an older, less talented version of Everitt.

Are there worse players on our list? Yeah, which is why we need to clean them out.

Remi Moses
08-11-2011, 05:10 AM
My take on Barlow is he just doesn't play a set position.
Doesn't take enough grabs for a bloke that size, the only thing Mulligan has over him is he plays a set position ( albeit not very well at this stage)

BulldogBelle
08-11-2011, 08:22 AM
It's not confirmed that Barlow is gone is it? Was he not at training?

The Coon Dog
08-11-2011, 08:50 AM
It's not confirmed that Barlow is gone is it? Was he not at training?

Wasn't listed by Patrick Keane from the AFL when he advised of Rookies retained.

BulldogBelle
08-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Wasn't listed by Patrick Keane from the AFL when he advised of Rookies retained.

Bah, he gave us what we recruited him for and we got rid of him anyway. It's not like we didn't know what we were getting into! :confused:

always right
08-11-2011, 02:15 PM
He's an honest player with major deficiencies and limited potential. My view is that if he is getting games with us, then we are not improving. Use the spot to develop someone else.

Mantis
08-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Adelaide and GC were crap - even worse than us.

Barlow was terrible before and after those games. He was also poor in the VFL Grand Final that I saw. He is a shocking defender and can't win enough ball to play midfield. Basically - an older, less talented version of Everitt.

Are there worse players on our list? Yeah, which is why we need to clean them out.

His first game of the year was against St.Kilda in rd 12, he collected 18 touches. He was elevated during that week to the senior list.

The next 2 weeks he played against Adel & GC, the games I mentioned, in those games he collected 17 & 21 touches respectively and was more than serviceable. The following week he struggled across HF against Melb, but we later found out that he broke his finger early on in that game.

When he came back into the team the wheels had fallen off, but Barlow wasn't our worst when he was mostly played in an unsuitable role (as a key defender).

Anyway he is gone and that's fine, but I think he could have been a handy player in a team which has a lot of holes to fill.

Ghost Dog
11-11-2011, 10:37 AM
His first game of the year was against St.Kilda in rd 12, he collected 18 touches. He was elevated during that week to the senior list.

The next 2 weeks he played against Adel & GC, the games I mentioned, in those games he collected 17 & 21 touches respectively and was more than serviceable. The following week he struggled across HF against Melb, but we later found out that he broke his finger early on in that game.

When he came back into the team the wheels had fallen off, but Barlow wasn't our worst when he was mostly played in an unsuitable role (as a key defender).

Anyway he is gone and that's fine, but I think he could have been a handy player in a team which has a lot of holes to fill.

Well said Mantis. Keen to find out what happened. If he was poached or if he was cut

always right
11-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Well said Mantis. Keen to find out what happened. If he was poached or if he was cut

Can't imagine clubs were queuing up to poach Barlow:)

I always felt that if Barlow was in our best side we were really struggling. An honest player who gave us honest service when he played. Not our future.

Ghost Dog
11-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Can't imagine clubs were queuing up to poach Barlow:)

I always felt that if Barlow was in our best side we were really struggling. An honest player who gave us honest service when he played. Not our future.

I think most people criticized him purely on style.
Statistically, he did ok

I never suggested he was the future. As Mantis pointed out, could have been very handy at a time of transition.
As for the future, Mulligan is?

The Bulldogs Bite
11-11-2011, 02:09 PM
I think most people criticized him purely on style.
Statistically, he did ok

I never suggested he was the future. As Mantis pointed out, could have been very handy at a time of transition.
As for the future, Mulligan is?

Both should have been delisted.

Barlow often fumbles and his decision making is both slow and ordinary. The St. Kilda game highlighted this.

As I said, not the worst player, but a pointless one to have on the list given where our list is at. Mulligan should have undoubtedly joined him in exile.

FrediKanoute
12-11-2011, 09:35 PM

I agree Mantis. Was worth keeping on the rookie list for another season. A real trier who for mine gave 100% effort week in week out

KT31
13-11-2011, 11:48 AM
I agree Mantis. Was worth keeping on the rookie list for another season. A real trier who for mine gave 100% effort week in week out

IMO very stiff,
done all that was asked and certainly wasn't our worst this season.
The club knew what they were getting when drafting him, so not sure what they expected.

Rocco Jones
13-11-2011, 02:26 PM
I agree with the keep Barlowians.

I think a lot of fans are dogmatic on the rebuilding phase having to be all about playing as many kids as people. Short term Barlow fills a obvious gap role but I think he also helps us with long term development playing in roles that can help protect and/or free up younger bodies.

Before I Die
13-11-2011, 08:46 PM
IMO very stiff,
done all that was asked and certainly wasn't our worst this season.
The club knew what they were getting when drafting him, so not sure what they expected.

Perhaps the change of coach and a number of assistant coaches meant that the original vote which brought him to our club was now stacked the other way.