PDA

View Full Version : Leadership group announced

bornadog
23-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/126373/default.aspx)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/boyd-420x0.jpg

The Western Bulldogs today announced dual all-Australian and Charles Sutton Medallist, Matthew Boyd, will continue as captain for season 2012.

Boyd will be supported by a new-look leadership group which includes Daniel Cross, Dale Morris, Daniel Giansiracusa and 2011 all-Australian, Robert Murphy.

General Manager of Football, James Fantasia, said Boyd performed exceptionally well in his first season as captain of the Club.

“Matthew is a leader in every sense of the word and he did a fantastic job leading by example both on and off the field in what was a challenging season for the Club.”

“His ability to keep the group morale high and his own personal on-field consistency in a tough year points to the fact that he thoroughly deserves this re-appointment,” Fantasia said.

Fantasia was encouraged by Murphy’s re-induction into the leadership group and said that the All-Australian half-back flanker was a great role model for the younger players.

“The way in which Robert conducts himself sets a great example on what type of standards are expected around this place.”

“Robert’s ability to build strong relationships is a great strength of his — he is a terrific addition to what is a fantastic group of leaders,” Fantasia said.

ledge
23-11-2011, 12:43 PM
All older hard working and respected players, who was dropped from it and wonder what their reaction would be?

bornadog
23-11-2011, 12:44 PM
All older hard working and respected players, who was dropped from it and wonder what their reaction would be?

Cooney dropped

Desipura
23-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Cooney dropped

Dropped or did he request to be stood down as he may want to concentrate on getting on the park?

Greystache
23-11-2011, 01:21 PM
It's a good group. I would've also like to see one younger guy in it too, although that was probably going to be Ward. Perhaps Libba, or Jones next year.

jazzadogs
23-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Disappointing that none of the younger players have earned a spot. No suggestions as to who it should have been, but it would have been good to see a 'junior' representative.

Edit: beat me to it Greystache.

divvydan
23-11-2011, 01:27 PM
I think Higgins was also previously in the leadership group.

Greystache
23-11-2011, 01:32 PM
I think Higgins was also previously in the leadership group.

He was, and I think it's an excellent decision by the club to leave him out.

The Coon Dog
23-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Adam Cooney left out of Western Bulldogs leadership group

Matt Windley - Herald Sun - 23 November

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2011/11/07/1226187/877567-adam-cooney.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Brendon McCartney says Adam Cooney's exclusion from the leadership group will allow him to focus on getting his injured body right for 2012.

Midfielder Matthew Boyd has been retained as captain and will be joined in the leadership group by Daniel Cross, Dale Morris, Daniel Giansiracusa and Robert Murphy.

Knee soreness ruined Cooney's 2011 season, restricting the Brownlow meda list to just 13 games, and McCartney admitted that was a part of the reason why he didn't make the cut.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-coach-brendan-mccartney-keeps-matthew-boyd-as-dogs-captain/story-e6frf9jf-1226203392720)

KT31
23-11-2011, 02:50 PM
It's a good group. I would've also like to see one younger guy in it too, although that was probably going to be Ward. Perhaps Libba, or Jones next year.

Would also like to see some of the younger brigade in the group.
At the moment though our players are either older or younger, we lack the mid aged player to slot into the group.

Desipura
23-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Would also like to see some of the younger brigade in the group.
At the moment though our players are either older or younger, we lack the mid aged player to slot into the group.
Next year should see the likes of Wood and Jones in there.

The Doctor
23-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Like everyone else I would have liked to see a younger player in the group. But there is nothing wrong with making them really earn it the way the incumbent group have.

I wonder why Griffen is never mentioned.

Remi Moses
23-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Breaking news according to one of the drones in the "imbecile " comments section, we've won one flag.

Ghost Dog
23-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Will be interesting to see how Gia goes under BMAC...hope to see more chase and less finger pointing this season!

Griff is best left to do what he does best IMO. If he's happy not to be in it then I'm happy.

ledge
23-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Libber, Wallis and Dalhaus sound like they are hard working players who could come into the mix in two or 3 years

bornadog
23-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Will be interesting to see how Gia goes under BMAC...

Not sure why you mention Gia. He is one of the hardest trainers at the dogs and a real leader.

AndrewP6
23-11-2011, 05:23 PM
I'll differ from the crowd and say I'm happy to only have the more senior players in it. Might be old fashioned, I say let 'em earn their stripes first.

ledge
23-11-2011, 05:34 PM
I'll differ from the crowd and say I'm happy to only have the more senior players in it. Might be old fashioned, I say let 'em earn their stripes first.

I tend to agree, its another reason i hate Carlton actually, bring in a new player make him captain and has never played a game at the club, what a spit in the face of any hard working players who have done the hard yards at the club and been loyal.

LostDoggy
23-11-2011, 05:37 PM

Aye!

chef
23-11-2011, 06:32 PM

Was he much of a off field leader?

Greystache
23-11-2011, 06:43 PM

Not really, he was seen as a dumb bogan, but I believe the hope was he could be developed into a leader.

Bulldog4life
23-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Not really, he was seen as a dumb bogan, but I believe the hope was he could be developed into a leader.

That's funny.:D Now who are the smart bogans?

Desipura
23-11-2011, 09:09 PM

Dunno but I believe he displayed on field leadserhip which is just as important if not more than off field.

AndrewP6
23-11-2011, 09:23 PM
That's funny.:D Now who are the smart bogans?

I reckon Will Minson would fit that criteria. Until you hear him speak, he gives every impression of being thick! :)

ledge
23-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Dunno but I believe he displayed on field leadserhip which is just as important if not more than off field.

Macca wants both and believes in off field leadership in a big way, also looks like he doesnt suffer fools, wants respectful people when they are at the club or away from it.
Big on family and dedication in everything.

SlimPickens
23-11-2011, 10:17 PM
He was, and I think it's an excellent decision by the club to leave him out.

Second that.

Bulldog Revolution
23-11-2011, 10:51 PM
The group selected would appear to me to have picked themselves.

The most dedicated, hard working, professional players were selected - the message to me is clear.

chef
24-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Dunno but I believe he displayed on field leadership which is just as important if not more than off field.

They are as important as each other if you want to be in a leadership group IMO.

Mantis
24-11-2011, 08:13 AM
It's a said sign of where our list is at when the entire leadership group is made up of 'old timers'.

Desipura
24-11-2011, 09:32 AM
It's a said sign of where our list is at when the entire leadership group is made up of 'old timers'.
This is 100% on the money.

Mofra
24-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Which young blokes do you think should have been included?

LostDoggy
24-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Will be interesting to see how Gia goes under BMAC...hope to see more chase and less finger pointing this season!

Griff is best left to do what he does best IMO. If he's happy not to be in it then I'm happy.

Gee, I must have missed Gia's finger pointing this year - all I recall is Higgins directing traffic and not doing much himself?

Cyberdoggie
24-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Everyone in the media has made a fuss about Cooney and Griffen not being in the leadership group, but what about Shaun Higgins?

Was good enough previously but now isn't, obviously not playing much sways the decision but i'm surprised no one has even mentioned it.

In regards to the lack of young leaders, i think that is more just Macca'a plan. He wants people to earn that recognition under him. I believe he intends to add more players to the leadership group later on.

Ghost Dog
24-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Not sure why you mention Gia. He is one of the hardest trainers at the dogs and a real leader.

Attitude on the training track is one aspect of leadership for sure.
here's my script for Gia / Boyd / Cross 2012. As their individual performances lifts under a new coach, more defensive efforts and better accuracy by foot, will begin to show the kids how it's done on the field, not just training track.

LostDoggy
24-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Macca wants both and believes in off field leadership in a big way, also looks like he doesnt suffer fools, wants respectful people when they are at the club or away from it.
Big on family and dedication in everything.

It seems he's trying to build another Sydney Swans in terms of off-field ethos.

Mantis
24-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Which young blokes do you think should have been included?

None..... And there entails the problem.

But a couple of mid agers in Griffen & Picken should have been seriously considered.

Ghost Dog
24-11-2011, 01:55 PM

But a couple of mid agers in Griffen & Picken should have been seriously considered.

Good point Mantis. Liam Picken inspires...why would he not be in the leadership group?

bornadog
24-11-2011, 02:47 PM

Both Griffen and Picken are very quiet and shy types.

Mofra
24-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Hasn;t Griffen previous said he just wants to concentrate on his football?

In any case, you don't need to be in a group to display leadership qualities.
Technically by virtue of being in a position of authority, the club captain displays command, not leadership

KT31
28-11-2011, 12:00 AM

Agree, and not all quality players should be in the leadership group.
Leadership is more than being able to read the play and give 100%.
Leadership group or not they are both leaders in their own right at the club.

boydogs
28-11-2011, 02:51 AM

I agree. Cooney, Higgins, Griffen & Picken could all have been considered, but setting the benchmark high is a good thing IMO.

Bulldog Joe
28-11-2011, 08:04 AM
The lack of mid aged players is an issue, as that is where the next captain should come from.

Unfortunately Cooney is not the type of character being more likely the stand up comedian than the leader. Griffen and Picken have been mentioned, but are more introverted and unlikely to command in the way a captain needs to. Higgins is a longer term possibility, but has ongoing issues that I believe are injury related and just needs to get a year or two of consistent football on the park.