PDA

View Full Version : Pick 39 Michael Talia

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Surprised he was still available. Good pick for us?
We took our time with that pick, sounds like we must've thought he wouldn't be around for our pick, and we had to consider our option.
Glad we have a potential Key defender on board.

craigsahibee
24-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Happy with this one.

chef
24-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Very happy with this one.

Greystache
24-11-2011, 08:48 PM
http://mm.afl.com.au/portals/0/2011/draft/tailia-michael-2011.jpg

Former Club- Calder Cannons/Greenvale
DOB:11/02/1993
Height:192cm
Weight:88kg
Position: Defender

Player assessment- Represented Vic Metro at the NAB AFL U18 Championships, providing good run and drive from the defensive end, averaging 16.2 disposals and 5.5 marks. He is extremely good one-on-one and a very good overhead mark. He capped off the championships with All Australian honours. He tested impressively at the NAB AFL Draft Combine

Mofra
24-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Please for the love of god let this kid end our brother curse

bornadog
24-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Grand son of the great Harvey Stevens.

boydogs
24-11-2011, 08:56 PM
How did he get to 39? Big win for us.

DOG GOD
24-11-2011, 09:00 PM

Maybe coz he cant kick?

GVGjr
24-11-2011, 09:00 PM

His pace and kicking skills need improving

vho
24-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Maybe coz he cant kick?

Lake can't kick too.
"He is extremely good one-on-one and a very good overhead mark." Hopefully he becomes a Bryza clone with a better kick. :D

boydogs
24-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Maybe coz he cant kick?

Neither can Dale Morris.

LostDoggy
24-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Brian lake CAN kick

bulldogsman
24-11-2011, 09:19 PM
I picked it :p

Happy with that. He has a few flaws, but I see him him being a solid AFL defender.

Raw Toast
24-11-2011, 09:28 PM

Interesting. I know the athletics coach he has been working with, so I'll have a chat with her.

w3design
24-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Wrapped thats a great pick can't believe he slipped to 39 and a Doggies supporter as well fantastic.

Greystache
24-11-2011, 09:57 PM

3.01 seconds over 20m isn't too bad for a KPD.

GVGjr
24-11-2011, 10:06 PM

I'm happy enough with the selection but I still have questions over his leg speed. I just haven't seen him do enough with his running when he is on the field. He's got a great defensive mindset though.

bulldogsman
24-11-2011, 10:28 PM

He can have trouble with good leading players.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-11-2011, 10:33 PM
He can have trouble with good leading players.

The same can probably be said for Lake. He prefers body on body duels.

Hopefully Talia is able to play to his strengths.

GVGjr
24-11-2011, 10:34 PM

Lake is very quick though and reads the ball pretty well.

Mofra
24-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Lake is very quick though and reads the ball pretty well.
He is also very good at getting a little "touch" on the opposition as the ball comes in to put them out of position.

Talia can hardly ask for a better mentor in this regard.

Remi Moses
24-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Didn't he towel up Patton?

bulldogtragic
24-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Didn't he nominate the cats as an 'ideal' place to land - courtesy of the hun??

divvydan
24-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Didn't he nominate the cats as an 'ideal' place to land - courtesy of the hun??

The Hun did, he never said anything except his admiration of Scarlett.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/defender-michael-talia-hopes-next-stop-is-geelong/story-fnau1fjg-1226201729376

GVGjr
24-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Didn't he towel up Patton?

Are you thinking of Bosely?

boydogs
25-11-2011, 12:15 AM

Lake has excellent closing speed.

EasternWest
25-11-2011, 02:03 AM
Lake can't kick too.
"He is extremely good one-on-one and a very good overhead mark." Hopefully he becomes a Bryza clone with a better kick. :D

What? Lake is a good kick. Sometimes he needs to make better decisions, but his kicking is satisfactory.

LostDoggy
25-11-2011, 10:50 AM

The good news being that both of those flaws can be remedied.

He is also very good at getting a little "touch" on the opposition as the ball comes in to put them out of position.

Talia can hardly ask for a better mentor in this regard.

Is Brian the type to play the mentor role though?

Mofra
25-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Is Brian the type to play the mentor role though?
You can learn a lot from training with an A-grader even if they don't say too much.

Cyberdoggie
25-11-2011, 12:02 PM
You can learn a lot from training with an A-grader even if they don't say too much.

What if they don't train too much either? ;)

Mofra
25-11-2011, 12:24 PM
What if they don't train too much either? ;)
Touche' - hopefully Lakey gets on the paddock soon enough

The Coon Dog
25-11-2011, 05:05 PM
http://a.yfrog.com/img875/813/kofog.jpg

The Coon Dog
25-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Really good article here: Link (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=251320#post251320)

DOG GOD
25-11-2011, 05:12 PM
He's obviously a good size now, just think what another 2 years in the gym will do. Im pleased we got him, just hope his kicking can improve. Hasnt got the nicest ball drop either, but its going to be his defensive nature that will stand out i hope.

Greystache
25-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Putting his potential and how highly rated he is aside, it's hard not to be happy about picking up the kid purely based on his passion for the club.

EasternWest
26-11-2011, 10:41 AM

That is a BIG kid waiting to happen.

anfo27
26-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Rapt we picked up young Michael at 39 as we don't really have anything in terms of prospects for this position. I think too much is made of his kicking, if he was a good kick then he would have gone in the first 10 picks. Not every player in your side is going to be a great kick but hopefully he does improve. I think he is listed at 192cm so it would of been great if he was 4-5cm taller. Looking forward to seeing him develop and maybe we can get his brother when he decides to come back to Melbourne.

KT31
26-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Good article and great to see he has been putting in the extra time to improve his weaknesses.
Great to have another supporter of the club pull on the jumper.:)

LostDoggy
26-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Didn't Fantasia offer Pick 39 for Matthew Bate during trade week?
I know Talia hasn't proven anything yet but gees, we can't keep relying on other teams stupidity and dumb luck to get by.

Remi Moses
26-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Didn't Fantasia offer Pick 39 for Matthew Bate during trade week?
I know Talia hasn't proven anything yet but gees, we can't keep relying on other teams stupidity and dumb luck to get by.

Phew! Dodged a barrage of bullets there!!Must use the draft, please

Remi Moses
26-11-2011, 10:58 PM

Wouldn't mind the pool

craigsahibee
27-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Should we tell him the powerbands don't work?

LostDoggy
27-11-2011, 11:53 AM

Yes. absolutely!

LostDoggy
27-11-2011, 12:50 PM

Quite a few of the boys still wear them. Last time I was at training (August) I noticed Griff was wearing his.

LostDoggy
27-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Well, considering they're basically expensive rubber bands, one could argue that it is more of a status symbol (conspicuous consumption!) than anything else. You know, like wearing a big diamond or an expensive watch.. it's not about the function of the thing, but showing that one can afford an expensive item. (Although in our incredibly rich society $70 for a rubber band is probably not seen as particularly expensive).

Or perhaps, since footy players wear them, it's a form of identification with your heroes (like wearing a footy jumper). A 'positional good', in economic terms.

Or finally, it's a $70 placebo effect. Which is expensive, but I guess it's no more than the price premium iPhone owners are happy to pay for the so-called 'advances' they think they're getting out of each new model of the thing.

w3design
27-11-2011, 05:22 PM
I think Eken sponsor us to be honest.

Didn't we have their brand name on our training balls last pre-season?

LostDoggy
27-11-2011, 05:28 PM

Urgh.

Deal with the devil. Can't live with it, can't live without it.. the curse of being 'poor' (relatively speaking, of course. I'm currently in south-eastern Africa -- Zambia, Uganda, DRC et al. -- reviewing a bunch of projects, and I always laugh when I hear a club turning over millions of dollars a year being described as 'poor'). :D

Greystache
27-11-2011, 06:50 PM

That was PowerBalance bands. They lost a court case a while back preventing them from making claims about the benefits to the wearer of the product and have been fading from the market ever since.

1eyedog
27-11-2011, 08:03 PM

No he doesn't. Lake is very quick. When opposition mids hit up a leading target I don't care who you are you are not going to stop it.

Lake will not get any faster from here though.

AndrewP6
28-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Smithy interviewed Michael at home just after being drafted. He speaks well, and his excitement at joining the club his Pa won a premiership with is obvious. If first impressions mean anything, I think he'll add some good value to the Dogs. Seems a good young fella.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/126638/default.aspx

Dancin' Douggy
28-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Can you imagine what Daniel Talia is going through?
The older brother. Judging from his draft placing, perhaps the better player.
Same Grandpa, same family, same life long passion to play for the dogs.

Stuck in Adelaide, watching his kid brother getting his GRANDPA'S NUMBER.

It must be gut wrenching.
Yes of course you're happy for him but...........

Stories about the whole family erupting in tears etc.
That would sting.
And all from a roll of the dice.
Hope Daniel vows to get back to Victoria and claim his place.
Even though free agency hasn't arrived yet, most players seem to be able to get to the club they want if they insist and both clubs are reasonable.

Anyway, just thought it would be a very bittersweet moment for Daniel.
My heart goes out to him.

always right
28-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Can you imagine what Daniel Talia is going through?
The older brother. Judging from his draft placing, perhaps the better player.
Same Grandpa, same family, same life long passion to play for the dogs.

Stuck in Adelaide, watching his kid brother getting his GRANDPA'S NUMBER.

It must be gut wrenching.
Yes of course you're happy for him but...........

Stories about the whole family erupting in tears etc.
That would sting.
And all from a roll of the dice.
Hope Daniel vows to get back to Victoria and claim his place.
Even though free agency hasn't arrived yet, most players seem to be able to get to the club they want if they insist and both clubs are reasonable.

Anyway, just thought it would be a very bittersweet moment for Daniel.
My heart goes out to him.

Perhaps...but pretty sure Daniel Talia didn't barrack for the bulldogs.

always right
28-11-2011, 11:00 PM

You tell him.;) Look at the size of the kid...and he's going to get bigger and more powerful.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Just in regards to Lake and his defending, the times he's beaten has been by leading forwards. Barry Hall generally had his number, and Lance Franklin had a couple of good games/stints on Lake when in full flight.

On the contrary, when Franklin didn't lead and tried to go body on body with Lake after 2008, he was slaughtered time after time.

There's absolutely no question Brian prefers to play the body. He can be a little slack on the lead at times, which is why he can cough up a few goals.

Ghost Dog
28-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Grouse!

Excited about next season.

ledge
28-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Just in regards to Lake and his defending, the times he's beaten has been by leading forwards. Barry Hall generally had his number, and Lance Franklin had a couple of good games/stints on Lake when in full flight.

On the contrary, when Franklin didn't lead and tried to go body on body with Lake after 2008, he was slaughtered time after time.

There's absolutely no question Brian prefers to play the body. He can be a little slack on the lead at times, which is why he can cough up a few goals.

Slack on the lead , a forward has a one second jump on you no matter who you are if the delivery is spot on i dont care how good the fullback is he will get 10 kicked on him.

Its all about delivery, but if Brian gets one on one he wins 90% and runs off when he can, you cant ask any more.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-11-2011, 11:24 PM
but if Brian gets one on one he wins 90% and runs off when he can, you cant ask any more.

That's my point?

I'm not asking for "any" more. I'm simply stating facts: Brian prefers body on body duels, as opposed to leading forwards. That's why Hall and Franklin (when he leads) did/do well on him.

It's also why we often play Morris on the leading types.

ledge
28-11-2011, 11:46 PM
That's my point?

I'm not asking for "any" more. I'm simply stating facts: Brian prefers body on body duels, as opposed to leading forwards. That's why Hall and Franklin (when he leads) did/do well on him.

It's also why we often play Morris on the leading types.

Whether its Morris or whoever no one will beat a leading forward with good delivery that comes down to pressure from the midfield ensuring the delivery is pressured thus giving the fullback some chance, if Lake has that chance he wins.
In saying that pointing out Hall and Franklin even beating them one out is a massive effort and he does that.
Lake is the ultimate fullback with occasional brain fades but even thats a bit hard on the bloke, he gives away one free kick and its a goal everytime, a centreman does it and no one cares.
Hiding to nothing is the fullback.

Dancin' Douggy
29-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Perhaps...but pretty sure Daniel Talia didn't barrack for the bulldogs.

Don't you just love these "pretty sure" wet blanket conversation killers.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Not sure why you are so defensive ledge.

I am not knocking Lake. I have regularly said he's one of the best players I've seen play for the club in my time.

It doesn't mean he's invincible though.

ledge
29-11-2011, 12:06 AM

Yeah dont spoil a good story with the truth even if it is guessing:D

boydogs
29-11-2011, 12:15 AM

Slack on the lead , a forward has a one second jump on you no matter who you are if the delivery is spot on i dont care how good the fullback is he will get 10 kicked on him.

I'm with Ledge - any defender would prefer a grappling match than a forward out on the lead with a midfielder able to direct the kick to their advantage. Lake at his best is able to cover leading forwards as well as anyone, his only weakness is endurance which is why he lets his man win the ball outside the 50m arc a lot.

Hall & Franklin kicked a lot of goals on a lot of elite defenders, it's not a Rocca/Dawson scenario where Lake is their bunny.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-11-2011, 12:18 AM
I'm with Ledge - any defender would prefer a grappling match than a forward out on the lead with a midfielder able to direct the kick to their advantage. Lake at his best is able to cover leading forwards as well as anyone, his only weakness is endurance which is why he lets his man win the ball outside the 50m arc a lot.

Morris, Williams and Hargrave all defend better on the lead.

Morris is great at either, to be fair.

I wouldn't say endurance is the reason Lake lets his man win the ball outside 50. He simply knows it's of little value for them to win it in a position they can't score from, so he plays it smart and either a) hangs back and/or b) lets them burn pointless energy.

Greystache
29-11-2011, 12:20 AM

He barracked for Carlton. He said in the lead up to the 2009 draft he doesn't know why he chose them, but he did.

Sockeye Salmon
29-11-2011, 12:40 AM

Daniel barracked for Carlton.

ledge
29-11-2011, 12:42 AM

Morris is great at either, to be fair.

I wouldn't say endurance is the reason Lake lets his man win the ball outside 50. He simply knows it's of little value for them to win it in a position they can't score from, so he plays it smart and either a) hangs back and/or b) lets them burn pointless energy.

Yep nothing to do with endurance, if the full forward goes past 50, let him go, whos he going to kick it to?? the fullback who stayed back ?
As soon as a fullforward starts going beyond 50 it means the full backs beaten him in my opinion.
Coaches instructions would say dont go past 50 i would have thought.
The reason why Buddy would go up on a wing against us because he was more value there than against Lake

Sockeye Salmon
29-11-2011, 12:46 AM

That is just wrong.

Morris I'll give you but not the other two.

I remember one year when we were wearing a stripy jumper Lloyd kicked 11 on Shaggy and I think they were all chest marks.

ledge
29-11-2011, 01:04 AM
That is just wrong.

I remember one year when we were wearing a stripy jumper Lloyd kicked 11 on Shaggy and I think they were all chest marks.

Great delivery;)

The Bulldogs Bite
29-11-2011, 01:18 AM
That is just wrong.

Hargrave has never been able to play on the premier key forwards - period. That one game was in either '03 or '04, when we were absolute tripe anyway.

He dominated leading/crumbing types like Medhurst and co. He just needs to play on medium and smalls to be able to defend.

LostDoggy
29-11-2011, 03:57 AM
My biggest gripe with Hargs has always been the number of in-the-back free kicks he used to give away when beaten on the lead.

He got a lot better though, and if this was 1962 he would get away with it every time anyway.

ledge
29-11-2011, 11:12 AM
My biggest gripe with Hargs has always been the number of in-the-back free kicks he used to give away when beaten on the lead.

He got a lot better though, and if this was 1962 he would get away with it every time anyway.

Sadly this touch them on the back and its a free kick is bullshit, from a push to just touching killed a lot of backman its natural to put your hands up to stop crashing into someone, especially when your both running at full speed and the full forward stops.

Crap rule.
A lot of crap rules in AFL but thats for another day.

I think Talia and Markovic could release Lake to go forward when its appropriate.:D

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Sadly this touch them on the back and its a free kick is bullshit, from a push to just touching killed a lot of backman its natural to put your hands up to stop crashing into someone, especially when your both running at full speed and the full forward stops.

Crap rule.
A lot of crap rules in AFL but thats for another day.

I think Talia and Markovic could release Lake to go forward when its appropriate.:D
Coach BMcC clearly sees Lake playing at Full Back. It would be hard to compare Markovic and Talia with Lake at this stage.

ledge
29-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Coach BMcC clearly sees Lake playing at Full Back. It would be hard to compare Markovic and Talia with Lake at this stage.

Not comparing them with Lake just that they can hold that position.
Can we fit all 3 in the team and is Talia up to it yet we dont know but no doubt Macca has ideas.
I am thinking Talia might become a CHB at one stage.

I do have one question, Eade seemed to give all players a stint in the backline so they knew how to defend as well as attack , a learning program i suppose, i wonder if Macca has same thoughts?

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Not comparing them with Lake just that they can hold that position.
Can we fit all 3 in the team and is Talia up to it yet we dont know but no doubt Macca has ideas.
I am thinking Talia might become a CHB at one stage.

I do have one question, Eade seemed to give all players a stint in the backline so they knew how to defend as well as attack , a learning program i suppose, i wonder if Macca has same thoughts?

I agree that Talia could be a future CHB, but in the words of his grandfather and'54 Premiership ruckman, Harvey Stevens, he still has to prove himself. It would be hard to see Lake, Williams, Markovic and Talia all lining up in the one defence. Three bigger players out of these 4 you would think would be the maximum. Gilbee and Higgins have played as defenders and in attack but not all are versatile to that extent.

ledge
29-11-2011, 06:05 PM
I agree that Talia could be a future CHB, but in the words of his grandfather and'54 Premiership ruckman, Harvey Stevens, he still has to prove himself. It would be hard to see Lake, Williams, Markovic and Talia all lining up in the one defence. Three bigger players out of these 4 you would think would be the maximum. Gilbee and Higgins have played as defenders and in attack but not all are versatile to that extent.

In saying all this though Lake only has 2 years left and Gilbee probably in his last year so its not a long term problem or luxury

Dancin' Douggy
30-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Daniel barracked for Carlton.

Then he's even a bigger idiot than I am!

AndrewP6
30-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Can someone settle a debate? There is an "Arthur Stevens" who played for the Dogs in the late 20s (I believe)..is he any relation to Harvey Stevens, and therefore to Michael Talia?

Anyone?

Bulldog4life
01-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Can someone settle a debate? There is an "Arthur Stevens" who played for the Dogs in the late 20s (I believe)..is he any relation to Harvey Stevens, and therefore to Michael Talia?

Anyone?

Yes he is Harvey Steven's dad.

AndrewP6
01-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Yes he is Harvey Steven's dad.

Thanks, that settles it!

Bulldog4life
01-12-2011, 01:30 AM
Thanks, that settles it!

Both Harvey & Arthur captained the doggies too. Might be an omen.;)

LostDoggy
01-12-2011, 10:06 AM

Geez. Think we know who's the favorite son in the Talia household. :D

Dancin' Douggy
01-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Geez. Think we know who's the favorite son in the Talia household. :D

Not Daniel that's for sure.......

strebla
01-12-2011, 11:09 AM

How on earth could Daniel follow the blues!!!!!!! no wonder he likes it in SA he has gone there to hide in shame!!!!!!:eek: