PDA

View Full Version : It's time we had a Ling, Baker etc

Dry Rot
11-09-2007, 12:58 PM
IMHO it's time we should have a real hard tagger. If you agree, who are the candidates?

The Coon Dog
11-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Dylan Addison springs to mind.

GVGjr
11-09-2007, 01:21 PM
The can be developed within or recruited at the draft table. Trading for them might not be the best option.

Dry Rot
11-09-2007, 01:28 PM
The can be developed within or recruited at the draft table. Trading for them might not be the best option.

Who are our candidates from within?

GVGjr
11-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Who are our candidates from within?

Ideally we need someone who is capable of winning the footy themselves much like we did with Libba and Romero. My long shot for this role is Eagleton and Gia or Boyd would other candidates.

Mantis
11-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm with TCD in believing Addison would be perfect for this type of role, Boyd would be the other one.

In general we need our midfield group to be far more accountable to there opponents. We have too many one way midfielders and as a group they need to pay more attention to the opposition.

Bulldog Revolution
11-09-2007, 03:25 PM
The trademark of successful taggers appears to be: running ability, concentration, determination, and plenty of mongrel

a) They have to be fit
b) They have to be able to focus on their job and not lose their man,
c) They have to be determined to do anything to stop there man getting it, and absolutely hate it when they do - but they cant hang their head when a player gets it, they need to bounce back and get on with it.
d) They have to play like a bastard (Ling, Rawlings, Godfrey, Stenglein) and be prepared to tackle, cop the blocks etc and basically sacrifice themselves getting huge individual accolades or media attention.

Our candidates: Cross, Boyd, Addison, Harbrow, Power, Giansiracusa & Ray

Not sure that Power, Giansiracusa are bastard enough to do it, nor desperate enough - although its the kind of role that could be the making of them because there careers are going nowhere.

Others have touted Addison but could Harbrow be an option or is his size an issue?

Dry Rot
11-09-2007, 04:25 PM
The trademark of successful taggers appears to be: running ability, concentration, determination, and plenty of mongrel

a) They have to be fit
b) They have to be able to focus on their job and not lose their man,
c) They have to be determined to do anything to stop there man getting it, and absolutely hate it when they do - but they cant hang their head when a player gets it, they need to bounce back and get on with it.
d) They have to play like a bastard (Ling, Rawlings, Godfrey, Stenglein) and be prepared to tackle, cop the blocks etc and basically sacrifice themselves getting huge individual accolades or media attention.

Our candidates: Cross, Boyd, Addison, Harbrow, Power, Giansiracusa & Ray

Not sure that Power, Giansiracusa are bastard enough to do it, nor desperate enough - although its the kind of role that could be the making of them because there careers are going nowhere.

Others have touted Addison but could Harbrow be an option or is his size an issue?

Good criteria. Does Addison have the engine for the job? If we could cover him down back, could Morris be the answer?

Mantis
11-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Good criteria. Does Addison have the engine for the job? If we could cover him down back, could Morris be the answer?

Addison - Not yet, hopefully his engine will improve after another pre-season.

Morris - I think he is one of the few defenders you can depend on to beat his opponent week in week out. For that reason he stays in defence for me. We have enough midfield types on our list to do this job.

Bulldog Revolution
11-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Addison - Not yet, hopefully his engine will improve after another pre-season.

Morris - I think he is one of the few defenders you can depend on to beat his opponent week in week out. For that reason he stays in defence for me. We have enough midfield types on our list to do this job.

A tagger is generally one of the best runners on your list, so Addison is probably a reasonable runner but hasn't quite elevated himself to that level - he does seem to have the toughness, concentration and determination though. He didn't quite have the sparkling second year I had expected, but injury seemed to nag him all season.

Morris is an option I hadn't really even considered, and he really might be the exact man for the job, he obviously had more time in the midfield as the season went on - I dont know how he compares engine wise with elite midfielders.

I think we have more coverage for Morris in the backline with Everitt, Hargrave, Wight etc developing than we do in the midfield. Morris could be the answer DR

Dry Rot
11-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Could the development (or otherwise) of O'Shea release Morris from the backline?

If nothing else, you'd hope that some mix of Harris, McDougall, Williams and maybe Everitt may release Morris and Hargrave from play on blokes half a foot taller than them.

LostDoggy
11-09-2007, 06:04 PM
I don't think Morris should go into a tagging role, he's so good in the backline and even when we're getting flogged you know that he's going to do his job well and keep focused, the latter being something our boys have had a lot of problems with recently. He's a leader along with Shaggy and Harris down there and losing him could be really detrimental to our defence.

I don't know a lot about tagging as such, I hate players like Rawlings and Baker who just hold on to and infuriate other players, is it possible to tag players other than in the midfield?

GVGjr
11-09-2007, 06:56 PM
I have seen Morris run into the midfield as part of his lock down role and he was a non factor.
In short I'd prefer to see a tagger who can win the ball on their own merit as well and I don't think Morris can do that. Around the ground he might be OK but really I think he is a defender.

dog town
11-09-2007, 07:06 PM
I think Rocket has already ear marked Power as someone who can be further developed in that role. He did some brilliant jobs towards the end of the season and personally I wanted to see him tried in that role a while before Rocket actually started using him as a regular stopper. He has some good attributes for it in that he is an excellent tackler and can cover the ground pretty well. He seems the type of player that would respond much better to a simple role like stopping a player than having to make the play himself. To be honest I reckon it will be the making of him as a player. Once he nails a role in the side his confidence will grow and his excellent hands in close and growing courage will see him become a quality defensive midfielder. Would be surprised if Eade chased a tagger in a trade after playing Power in that role for 5 or 6 weeks.

southerncross
11-09-2007, 07:08 PM
I hope you are right DT. I don't mind Power and think he can get better at that role but plenty of people will disagree with us.

Sockeye Salmon
11-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Could the development (or otherwise) of O'Shea release Morris from the backline?

If nothing else, you'd hope that some mix of Harris, McDougall, Williams and maybe Everitt may release Morris and Hargrave from play on blokes half a foot taller than them.

O'Shea is a different type of player to Morris, so no, but I don't think it would be necessary anyway.

Hargrave is very quick and has a good record on smaller players and could play on the quicker types.

Harris, Mcdougall and Williams on the bigger guys, Everitt on mediums and Gilbee and Hargrave on smalls. Addison, Wight and even Murphy as injury coverage.

I'm happy with how our backline is shaping up. I also think our rucks/midfield isn't as bad as is being made out.

Our forward line is a shambles.

DOG GOD
11-09-2007, 09:00 PM
both morris and hahn need to spend more time in the midfield.

LostDoggy
11-09-2007, 10:36 PM
I have always thought that a tagger needs to be very strong mentally, that for me means either Morris or Boyd.
I was optimistic about Power, but when he got toweled up in the last 2 games (especially against Hodge) I was less enthused.
On the other hand if Rocket thinks he can be useful, they will probably put some time into him during the off season to get his head around it a bit.

Dry Rot
11-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Welcome BB.

I suspect that we have a shortage of mentally tough guys.

Mofra
11-09-2007, 10:53 PM
DFA's attack on the footy means he is an obvious choice.

Boydy is perhaps too much of a ball winner in his own right now to be a lock down player - run with yes, lock down no.

Power's problem is other coaches know he gets nervous near goal, so often dragging him into the backline works against him. Against a midfielder like Harvey (as great as he is) who is not a known goal kicker, he can do ok. Against a midfielder/forward (ala Hodge, Cooney, Ablett, Chapman etc) he will get carved up.

D-Mac has run with quicker players, but looks more of a BP type to me, even if he kicks on afther this pre-season.

Gia did ok in a tagging role, but is nowhere near the prick he needs to be to do it every week. Perhaps the guys can prank him all summer and "mentally attune" him to the role?

LostDoggy
11-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Welcome BB.

I suspect that we have a shortage of mentally tough guys.

Thanks DR, recently started looking at this forum as an alternative to BF, finally decided to take the plunge tonight....

The Coon Dog
11-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks DR, recently started looking at this forum as an alternative to BF, finally decided to take the plunge tonight....

You're not the first to do that & if BF continues in a similar vein you certainly wont be the last. Welcome aboard too.

Bulldog Revolution
12-09-2007, 10:25 AM
I have seen Morris run into the midfield as part of his lock down role and he was a non factor.
In short I'd prefer to see a tagger who can win the ball on their own merit as well and I don't think Morris can do that. Around the ground he might be OK but really I think he is a defender.

You might be right, Morris probably hasn't won enough of it when in the midfield. But then every backline needs a guy like him who loves a challenge and wants to play on Pavlich, Riewoldt etc. Dale has now played 60 odd games and is only 25 so its not inconcievable that he may make another big leap forward in 2008. The great thing about Dale is that you just know he will be doing everything he can to make it happen.

Bulldog Revolution
16-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Its been mentioned elsewhere but I was surprised that Simon Godfrey had been delisted

Do people think he would be a useful addition?

or are his skills just too bad to negate any positive impact?

southerncross
16-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Its been mentioned elsewhere but I was surprised that Simon Godfrey had been delisted

Do people think he would be a useful addition?

or are his skills just too bad to negate any positive impact?

I'm not a fan but I was surprised that they delisted him. My idea of an effective run with player is someone who can win enough of the ball himself but still being very accountable for his opponent. Just being a stopper isn't enough.

Bulldog Revolution
16-09-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm not a fan but I was surprised that they delisted him. My idea of an effective run with player is someone who can win enough of the ball himself but still being very accountable for his opponent. Just being a stopper isn't enough.

So SC you believe he is too defensive for modern footy?

I thought this article was interesting

Ward sings Godfrey's praises
16 September 2007 Sunday Herald Sun
Jon Ralph

DUMPED Melbourne onballer Daniel Ward says rival clubs looking for a lock-down tagger would be crazy not to look at Simon Godfrey, also discarded this week by new coach Dean Bailey.

Ward and Godfrey were let go by Bailey on Monday, joining retirees Clint Bizzell, Byron Pickett and Nathan Brown in a player exodus.

Ward, 30, who overcame much-publicised gambling problems earlier this year, yesterday thanked the Demons for his time at the club and said he felt no bitterness.

But he wasted no time in spruiking the wares of 26-year-old Godfrey.

"I knew I was in a bit of trouble -- 30 and out of contract with a new coach," Ward said.

"I was prepared for the worst and got the worst. I gave my pitch and at the end of it, (Dean) said, 'There is not a spot on the list for you'.

"He was great. The way he handled it, I have no qualms at all. The club has been great for me.

"I am a little bit disappointed for 'Godders' more than me, and hopefully he gets picked up and gets another opportunity.

"The club said he wasn't the right fit going forward, but if there is any club out there that wants a guy who can shut down the opposition's best player every week and give his heart and soul to the footy club, Simon Godfrey is that guy."

Godfrey played 17 of the first 18 games this year, containing the likes of Shane Crawford, Chris Judd, Daniel Kerr and Adam Goodes.

"If I was on a coaching staff I would be looking very, very closely at Simon Godfrey, that's for sure," Ward said.

"If they want references, they can ring blokes like (Scott) West, blokes he has shut down. He is a great guy to have around the club and his teammates love playing with him.

"If we had 22 Simon Godfreys in the side each week this year we wouldn't have lost a game."

Sockeye Salmon
16-09-2007, 10:55 PM
"If we had 22 Simon Godfreys in the side each week this year we wouldn't have lost a game."

If you had 22 Simon Godfrey's in your side they would have to re-write the records for turnovers.

Sedat
16-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Even the best lock-down players manage to find the footy themselves. Rawlings and Ling are great examples of what the modern tagger's role should now incorporate. Godfrey's way is the Libba way, and it doesn't work in today's game.

Plus, as Sockeye alluded to, he is a butcher of the ball par excellence.

Dry Rot
20-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Any other candidates out there who may not be getting a good run with their current side?

Go_Dogs
20-09-2007, 01:30 PM
I've been harping on about his name all year, Nick Lower. His brother Ed did a good job on Sam Mitchell second half last week - held him to 8 touches and 1 clearance.

Dry Rot
20-09-2007, 01:34 PM
What team does he play for, or is he in the draft?

Go_Dogs
20-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Port player. Been injured the last little while, but was very close to selection often during the year, and regularly in Norwoods bests. Was a first round pick in the 05 draft, his twin brother Ed was rookie listed by North that same year.

Dry Rot
20-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks.

And BTW, do you think this kind of player is born or made?

IMO the good ones have some innate mongrel in them.