PDA

View Full Version : Pick 57- Tory Dickson

Greystache
24-11-2011, 09:08 PM
http://images.whereilive.com.au/images/uploads/2011/03/15/IBOLT_GG216946_4096690_resized.jpg

Bendigo Bomber

Season 2011

M Gls GlsAv HS HSVenue NBest
19 48 2.53 5 Windy Hill 7

VFL Stats (http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=192147839&client=1-118-10467-150677-14507916)

Article about Dickson (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/noble-park-star-hooks-up-with-bendigo/story-fn53khop-1226019151197)

Desipura
24-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Kicked 100 goals for Noble Park this year. Impressed Shannon Grant in 2009 for Bendigo kicking 48 goals in 19 games. Hird was also impressed with him and was a potential rookie for the Bombers.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-11-2011, 09:13 PM
How old is he?

divvydan
24-11-2011, 09:13 PM
24 years old.

Desipura
24-11-2011, 09:14 PM
How old is he?

24 yo

bulldogtragic
24-11-2011, 09:16 PM
pods reborn?

bornadog
24-11-2011, 09:17 PM
delete

Greystache
24-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Noble Park president Kevin Wright said:

"If he gets himself fit and firing who knows what could become of him. He's got so much natural ability. He probably was too good for our league."

A dogs life
24-11-2011, 09:19 PM
24 yo

How tall is he?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Interesting pick. It really does give us another potential option up forward, to hopefully take the pressure off Jones, Grant and Panos.

divvydan
24-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Tory is not a KPF, he's listed at 182cm on Bendigo site.

AndrewP6
24-11-2011, 09:22 PM
They breed them good in Noble Park! Not that I know him, but it's good to see him get a shot!

Mantis
24-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Seems we don't have much faith in Vez going by this selection.

Greystache
24-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Kicked 100 goals for Noble Park this year. Impressed Shannon Grant in 2009 for Bendigo kicking 48 goals in 19 games. Hird was also impressed with him and was a potential rookie for the Bombers.

He played for Bendigo Bombers in 2011, kicking 48 goals in 19 games. He played for Noble Park in 2010, and played at Frankston under Grant in 2009.

bulldogtragic
24-11-2011, 09:24 PM
That was my reading of it too.

Mantis
24-11-2011, 09:25 PM
He played for Bendigo Bombers in 2011, kicking 48 goals in 19 games. He played for Noble Park in 2010, and played at Frankston under Grant in 2009.

He also played under Grant at Bendigo last year.

bornadog
24-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Tory is not a KPF, he's listed at 182cm on Bendigo site.

Not happy with this one, I thought he was a lot taller

LostDoggy
24-11-2011, 09:34 PM
I read he is only 182cm though. Not key position stuff.

Twodogs
24-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Tied for the Best & Fairest at Frankston in 2009.

Desipura
24-11-2011, 09:38 PM
I read he is only 182cm though. Not key position stuff.

Same height as Johnno

Greystache
24-11-2011, 09:55 PM
We needed a replacement for Shane Thorne, looks like we targeted one.

GVGjr
24-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Same height as Johnno

The exception that proves the rule?

Desipura
24-11-2011, 10:03 PM
The exception that proves the rule?

Most definitely!

Mofra
24-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Obviously Shagga rates him - have no idea what he's like

Maddog37
24-11-2011, 10:28 PM
As long he can score I do not really care about his height.

LostDoggy
24-11-2011, 10:38 PM
That photo makes him look like an old man.

GVGjr
24-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Obviously Shagga rates him - have no idea what he's like

I guess that is the case. I'm not concerned that he is 24 but with some slight doubts over his fitness we must be confident that he can get their physically.
The better guys we get from the State Leagues league generally have strong bodies and I think he will be more than OK.

Mantis
24-11-2011, 10:46 PM
We needed a replacement for Shane Thorne, looks like we targeted one.

Actually very similiar the way he comes to the club.

Let's hope it turns out a bit better.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Can't say this pick fills me with any confidence.

Seems and sounds like a talented country league footballer.

Topdog
24-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Sounds uninspiring. 24y.o mid sized forward...

Greystache
24-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Sounds uninspiring. 24y.o mid sized forward...

...with poor fitness

bulldogtragic
24-11-2011, 11:10 PM
what's with the skepticism. He kicked 100 goals for Noble Park... Oh, Pat Bowden kicked 100 goals in a local league too. ok, i see the skepticism now.

strebla
24-11-2011, 11:59 PM
I am willing to wait and see on this one rather grab a smoky at 57 than 17

chef
25-11-2011, 07:55 AM
...with poor fitness

He only trained half an hour a week while with the bombers, so now being a full time footballer this shouldn't be a problem.

Greystache
25-11-2011, 08:26 AM
He only trained half an hour a week while with the bombers, so now being a full time footballer this shouldn't be a problem.

He was considered unfit by Noble Park standards, he has a massive amount of work ahead of him.

Sedat
25-11-2011, 08:40 AM
He was considered unfit by Noble Park standards, he has a massive amount of work ahead of him.
It's a bit of a stretch but could he develop as quickly as a Crameri under a full-time professional environment? Crameri was nowhere near AFL-fit until last pre-season when he tore it up on the track.

Unlike some of our previous hail-mary selections, at least Dickson has good recent form at the next level below AFL.

Desipura
25-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Unusual first name, parents must have been a fan of Aaron Spellings work.

The Underdog
25-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Honestly why wouldn't you just rookie list this guy? Sure he might be a player but seriously it's not like anyone else was going to draft him. Is there seriously not a junior we could have picked at 57 who has more upside than Dickson? It seems we are compelled to reach for players every year.

KT31
25-11-2011, 09:22 AM
What the ???
Have they even had this bloke on the track and seen his potential ?
Not happy with this pick at all.
Underdogs is correct we should have rookied him.

chef
25-11-2011, 09:25 AM
What the ???

Grant has seen him for two of the last three years and McCartney would have seen him last year. They obviously rate him for some reason.

Desipura
25-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Honestly why wouldn't you just rookie list this guy? Sure he might be a player but seriously it's not like anyone else was going to draft him. Is there seriously not a junior we could have picked at 57 who has more upside than Dickson? It seems we are compelled to reach for players every year.
James Hird was looking at him as a rookie.

the banker
25-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Lots of examples of recent success with this sort of recruitment. Given his record in lower grades and the obvious endorsement of Shannon Grant, I am not unhappy with the selection. Crameri's achievement should be model.

always right
25-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Everyone craps on about what a shallow draft this is. Seems to make sense to me that we would target a mature player with a strong body. I reserve my judgement on this one and note that no-one commenting here professes to have actually seen him play.

The Underdog
25-11-2011, 09:32 AM
James Hird was looking at him as a rookie.

We still have a pick before them in the rookie draft

The Coon Dog
25-11-2011, 09:35 AM
We still have a pick before them in the rookie draft

Who, knows we might want someone there too & this gave us the opportunity of getting both.

Everyone craps on about what a shallow draft this is. Seems to make sense to me that we would target a mature player with a strong body. I reserve my judgement on this one and note that no-one commenting here professes to have actually seen him play.

Have to agree.

Desipura
25-11-2011, 09:47 AM

Interesting to see who will become the better player Crozier or Clay Smith. Especially given B Mac wanted Smith and the recruiting guys wanted Crozier.
It sounds like Crozier has the potential to become an A grader however needs to put in alot of work in the gym. I have read there are queries on his desire/intensity, he can often go in and out of games. Prefers to take a hanger than provide multiple leads to the kicker.

Smith is probably the safer bet in terms of being able to get the best out of himself. Has been reported that he hunts the ball even if he is outnumbered, hits the man hard and will do everything possible to become an AFL footballer. (Hopefully he can address his kicking) Probably does not have the upside of a Crozier but as I said previously perhaps a safer bet? What do you think?

LostDoggy
25-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Interesting to see who will become the better player Crozier or Clay Smith. Especially given B Mac wanted Smith and the recruiting guys wanted Crozier.
It sounds like Crozier has the potential to become an A grader however needs to put in alot of work in the gym. I have read there are queries on his desire/intensity, he can often go in and out of games. Prefers to take a hanger than provide multiple leads to the kicker.

Smith is probably the safer bet in terms of being able to get the best out of himself. Has been reported that he hunts the ball even if he is outnumbered, hits the man hard and will do everything possible to become an AFL footballer. (Hopefully he can address his kicking) Probably does not have the upside of a Crozier but as I said previously perhaps a safer bet? What do you think?

Yeah. Sounds like Cross, doesn't he?

LostDoggy
25-11-2011, 10:43 AM
As for Tory, gee guys, haven't we all been a bit doom and gloom lately? All I heard from Bulldogs fans for years is how stupid we were for not picking up Pods, even though there were questions on whether he could cut it at AFL level and not just be a good lower-league player.

I'll give him two years before I get the knives out.

Mofra
25-11-2011, 10:51 AM
It's a bit of a stretch but could he develop as quickly as a Crameri under a full-time professional environment? Crameri was nowhere near AFL-fit until last pre-season when he tore it up on the track.

Unlike some of our previous hail-mary selections, at least Dickson has good recent form at the next level below AFL.
It's easier to build fitness than it is to build football-smarts, which by the sound of it Tory has.
Far to early to write the kid off.

The Underdog
25-11-2011, 10:53 AM
As for Tory, gee guys, haven't we all been a bit doom and gloom lately? All I heard from Bulldogs fans for years is how stupid we were for not picking up Pods, even though there were questions on whether he could cut it at AFL level and not just be a good lower-league player.

I'll give him two years before I get the knives out.

I'm not burying him, I just worry that we seem to get scared into picking marginal players over where their real value is because of another team's potential interest. I just hope Shannon Grant is right.
As for Pods, I was never convinced we should pick him up and I'm still not bothered that we didn't. He's an average AFL footballer in an exceptional team.

Mofra
25-11-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm not burying him, I just worry that we seem to get scared into picking marginal players over where their real value is because of another team's potential interest. I just hope Shannon Grant is right.
Tory was our last live pick though - there was no other chance if another team was interested

Desipura
25-11-2011, 10:57 AM
I have a few concerns, one that we have not done anything to address our lack of A graders (perhaps we are positioning ourselves for next years draft to do this).
The other is we do not have any tall kpp's on our list that can play both forward and back.
Then there is the pace/kicking issue....

stefoid
25-11-2011, 11:09 AM

Yeah, nothing against the guy, but why not rookie? We have a rookie pick before essendon, yes?

stefoid
25-11-2011, 11:14 AM
I have a few concerns, one that we have not done anything to address our lack of A graders (perhaps we are positioning ourselves for next years draft to do this).
The other is we do not have any tall kpp's on our list that can play both forward and back.
Then there is the pace/kicking issue....

Cordy could play forward or back, and Lake too, but why is that important?

Lukcy to get Talia falling to us at 39. It means we might be able to take 2 midfield guns next year if he is able to prove he is capable.

The Underdog
25-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Tory was our last live pick though - there was no other chance if another team was interested

But realistically, who would have been? Maybe a 10% chance that Essendon picks him with 59. The guy was playing EFL.
Anyway I'm not against the guy personally, I know nothing about him. I just hope he's more Stewart Crameri than Shane Thorne.

stefoid
25-11-2011, 11:19 AM

I take heart from the fact that Geelong were smart enough to go for plodding, hard at it, short kicking, no frills Joel Selwood.

Desipura
25-11-2011, 11:25 AM
I take heart from the fact that Geelong were smart enough to go for plodding, hard at it, short kicking, no frills Joel Selwood.
I would not say Selwood was classified as a plodder when he was drafted. I can recall recruiters all mentioning his strong leadership skills an courage similar to Talyor Adams.

Mofra
25-11-2011, 11:28 AM
But realistically, who would have been? Maybe a 10% chance that Essendon picks him with 59. The guy was playing EFL.
Anyway I'm not against the guy personally, I know nothing about him. I just hope he's more Stewart Crameri than Shane Thorne.
I really don't understand your question, unless you're saying we should have taken him as a rookie. We left him until our last live pick - if we want him on our list, what more should we have done?

Desipura
25-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Cordy could play forward or back, and Lake too, but why is that important?
Lukcy to get Talia falling to us at 39. It means we might be able to take 2 midfield guns next year if he is able to prove he is capable.
I think you need players to be able to play in multiple positions on the ground (ie mids to go fwd and back, rucks to go fwd). I do not see how kpps 9excluding rucks) are any different.
If there is any way we can stem the flow of goals being kicked or throwing a backman up front to score more goals, this can only be a good thing in terms of flexibility.

I agree about Talia, happy to pick him up for cover initially then he can take over from Lake when he has retired. If we can get a few guns next year (one a kpp forward to help Jones and a quick ball carriering skilful onballer) I would be wrapt.

The Underdog
25-11-2011, 11:29 AM
I really don't understand your question, unless you're saying we should have taken him as a rookie. We left him until our last live pick - if we want him on our list, what more should we have done?

It's exactly what I'm saying, we should have rookied him.

The Underdog
25-11-2011, 11:30 AM

I would not say Selwood was classified as a plodder when he was drafted. I can recall recruiters all mentioning his strong leadership skills an courage similar to Talyor Adams.

Selwood dropped to 7 because of concerns about his knee. Otherwise he probably would have been top 5.

Mofra
25-11-2011, 11:31 AM
It's exactly what I'm saying, we should have rookied him.
Fair enough - I can only assume the club believe he's in the mix for a round 1 berth.

As a mature ager he may well be on a one year contract anyway which gives us flexibility if we want to load up on next years' draft (by all account our recruiters are setting us up to have more picks in 2012).

stefoid
25-11-2011, 11:34 AM

Well, in his phantoms, Selwood was described as a bit slow with 'hit and miss' kicking, but a great attack on the ball and a real competitor. Obviously this kid doesnt have Selwoods pure class, but he shares similar traits.

stefoid
25-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Fair enough - I can only assume the club believe he's in the mix for a round 1 berth.

As a mature ager he may well be on a one year contract anyway which gives us flexibility if we want to load up on next years' draft (by all account our recruiters are setting us up to have more picks in 2012).

good point.

Ghost Dog
25-11-2011, 11:37 AM
What the ???

the Shannon Grant thing is the key to all this I guess. For better or for worse.

always right
25-11-2011, 11:54 AM
So let's see.......we should have gone for an A-grader who can play back and forward, take stints in the midfield where he will be required to win his own ball as per McCartney's gameplan, but have breakaway speed, good decision making and precise disposal.....and he must be someone who isn't on the radar of another club......and preferably someone we could pick up as a rookie.

stefoid
25-11-2011, 12:09 PM
yeah, OK, my google-fu is strong.

here is why we took him at 57:

http://ourfooty.com.au/forum/showthread.php?tid=611

"just a quick story, if anyone noticed at pick #57 when the dogs took Tory Dickson, the bombers were dumbfounded and had no idea what to do when it came to their pick at #59? if you saw hirdy's face .. he was shocked and pissed off.

this is because a some time ago, hird and thompson went to noble park jfc and spoke to tory dickson, and theyre like .. come play for the bendigo bombers, and we will monitor your progress, give you a rental home to live in, and pay you a wage.
and throughout the season he did pretty well, scored a ton of goals and impressed a lot of people.

but as you would expect, other teams were scouting .. and the dogs stole him from right under the bombers noses. "

Mofra
25-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Cheers for the sleuthing stefoid, made me smile :)

Maddog37
25-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Anything to undermine the Bombres is a bonus. If he can get a game it will be double the fun!!

The Underdog
25-11-2011, 01:07 PM
I apparently misunderstood his past slightly. I took it that he spent 2010 at Bendigo then 2011 at Noble Park, not the other way around. My bad

Ghost Dog
25-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Grant has seen him for two of the last three years and McCartney would have seen him last year. They obviously rate him for some reason.

The mutual trust and knowledge of each others workings is valuable in itself.

KT31
25-11-2011, 01:29 PM
I apparently misunderstood his past slightly. I took it that he spent 2010 at Bendigo then 2011 at Noble Park, not the other way around. My bad

I foolishly followed suit.
Although I am still not convinced when Frost was still up for grabs.

The Underdog
25-11-2011, 01:43 PM
I foolishly followed suit.
Although I am still not convinced when Frost was still up for grabs.

It's still a borderline call. As with all time will tell.

Sockeye Salmon
25-11-2011, 02:31 PM
He would have been available at 70.

If we wanted him we should have delisted Mulligan and taken another kid at 57

*Edit: Just read Stefoid's post, maybe he wouldn't have been.

BulldogBelle
25-11-2011, 02:49 PM
If he is 24 and isnt fit there there must be something deeper at the core - injuries, slack, bad lifestyle or bad habits

Will be interesting to see what sort of hunger to succeed he has - and if he is hell bent on becoming an AFL footballer

the banker
25-11-2011, 03:27 PM
yeah, OK, my google-fu is strong.

here is why we took him at 57:

http://ourfooty.com.au/forum/showthread.php?tid=611

"just a quick story, if anyone noticed at pick #57 when the dogs took Tory Dickson, the bombers were dumbfounded and had no idea what to do when it came to their pick at #59? if you saw hirdy's face .. he was shocked and pissed off.

this is because a some time ago, hird and thompson went to noble park jfc and spoke to tory dickson, and theyre like .. come play for the bendigo bombers, and we will monitor your progress, give you a rental home to live in, and pay you a wage.
and throughout the season he did pretty well, scored a ton of goals and impressed a lot of people.

but as you would expect, other teams were scouting .. and the dogs stole him from right under the bombers noses. "

Of course Macca would have had insight into this. Love it.

LongWait
25-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Of course Macca would have had insight into this. Love it.

It seems the Bombers weren't going to wait to rookie list him. Our coaching staff think Tory can play seniors early next year, so rookie listing him wouldn't be that sensible. We want him on the main list and eligible to play as soon as he's ready.

I agree that it is most satisfying to pull a fast one on the Bombers!

jazzadogs
25-11-2011, 03:57 PM
From a mate who watches a lot of VFL, and whose opinion i rate. Nothing new, but a few points.

'Dickson's quality but tad surprised he's gone in the ND. As I recall a stocky high h fwd/mid w a deceptive turn of pace, decent overhead and very cluey around goal. Looks a bit like Calthorpe from Ess. Hird was a fan apparently, and the Shannon Grant factor was also important I'm tipping. Cld be better value than M.Bate actually if things click. Was coached by Grant at Frankston and Bendigo so knows him well. Body suits McCartney's mould.'

DOG GOD
25-11-2011, 05:46 PM
He looks a little like Shannon Hurn in that front page pic, but i hope that he does what he needs to do to give himself his best shot to make it...the post by Stefoid about taking him out of the bombers grasp was GOLD :)

bornadog
25-11-2011, 06:29 PM
If he is 24 and isnt fit there there must be something deeper at the core - injuries, slack, bad lifestyle or bad habits

Will be interesting to see what sort of hunger to succeed he has - and if he is hell bent on becoming an AFL footballer

Sometimes that hunger is even greater at 24 as he knows this may be his last chance to make it. Just have a look at guys like Boyd, Morris. Morris was around that age when we elevated him. Boyd was playing Frankston reserves. I have my doubts with this pick

I hope he has the attitude of a Boyd and Morris and grasps this one with both hands.

jeemak
25-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Are all of the fitness queries based on comments made by the President of Noble Park?

If so, then I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. He's 24 and talented, there was at least one other club that was interested in drafting him by the sounds of things, and I'm not too sure whether there are many mid-sized goal kicking forwards that are ready made for AFL with respect to fitness, running around in the VFL. Christ, there are guys on our list that haven't been fit enough to consistently cut it at AFL level that haven't embarrassed themselves when given a chance.

A big pre-season starting tomorrow will be required before I pass judgement.

KT31
26-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Are all of the fitness queries based on comments made by the President of Noble Park?
If so, then I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. He's 24 and talented, there was at least one other club that was interested in drafting him by the sounds of things, and I'm not too sure whether there are many mid-sized goal kicking forwards that are ready made for AFL with respect to fitness, running around in the VFL. Christ, there are guys on our list that haven't been fit enough to consistently cut it at AFL level that haven't embarrassed themselves when given a chance.

A big pre-season starting tomorrow will be required before I pass judgement.

No by the fact he is 24 and no one has ever heard of him.
24 and talented, judgement reserved.
Afrter all big fish in littlke pond.
One club and based on comments, so we can't be to sure.
They could have sent a smolkie out and now be laughing at us.
I do hoipe I am wrong, chances are a one year contract and never heard of again.

jeemak
26-11-2011, 03:26 AM
No by the fact he is 24 and no one has ever heard of him.
24 and talented, judgement reserved.
Afrter all big fish in littlke pond.
One club and based on comments, so we can't be to sure.
They could have sent a smolkie out and now be laughing at us.
I do hoipe I am wrong, chances are a one year contract and never heard of again.

So fitness queries are based on the fact nobody (who considering talent scouting isn't really the domain of most if not all who've commented, doesn't matter) has heard of him?

As small as the pond may be in the EFL, for a 180cm player to kick 100 goals shows he's clearly talented. It's not a slouch league, arguably on par with the ammos as the best suburban league in the city. If he was a large fella, I'd agree but the guy has to be a handfull at his height to do that.

I'm pretty sure Essendon, as well resourced as they are have better things to do with their recruiting staff and football department than circulate false reports about a player they've tried to watch and develop over the last year, just to fool one or two clubs. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Chances are he will get the minimum draft contract, a lot of better credentialled players suffer the same destiny.

As Always Right has said, it's been touted as a thin draft. Take a look at our list and tell me we don't need a 24 year old that's capable of kicking a few goals. These types are normally offered up for trade for silly amounts in terms of compensation, so we may as well have seen what we could find in the lower leagues to supplement the shortfalls in that age bracket.

boydogs
26-11-2011, 04:02 AM
"just a quick story, if anyone noticed at pick #57 when the dogs took Tory Dickson, the bombers were dumbfounded and had no idea what to do when it came to their pick at #59? if you saw hirdy's face .. he was shocked and pissed off."

:D:D

Ghost Dog
26-11-2011, 09:27 AM
As for Pods, I was never convinced we should pick him up and I'm still not bothered that we didn't. He's an average AFL footballer in an exceptional team.

Bit one eyed about the pods. He takes a good contested grab and slots them ; that's not easy to do at top level.
Grant is staking his future on his decision so I imagine he's not doing it lightly. Maybe paid overs, maybe not. Time will tell

ratsmac
26-11-2011, 10:00 AM
It's seems the dogs had planned to take a mature ager no matter what. BMac and Granty have inside knowledge of him so sometimes it's better the devil you know than the one you don't. And if it sticks one up the bombers as Stefoid says, well its worth it :D:D

divvydan
26-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Here's a short description from a regular VFL observer on Dickson

For me Dickson is a real mystery man at the moment. In the VFL back in 2009 when he was playing with Frankston under Shannon Grant he played as a high half-forward with good stints in midfield. He won their B&F, but decided against playing VFL in 2010 instead choosing to park himself at full-forward for Noble Park where he preceded to kick 112 goals for the season.

Only decided to give the VFL another crack after being coaxed through multiple meetings with Shannon Grant and allegedly James Hird telling him that Essendon would strongly consider him with a good season. So Dickson came across to Bendigo, albeit it late and without much of a pre-season and through minimal training was able to play as an effective forward pocket kicking 48 goals for the season. Now to me that shows two things. He has a fair amount of natural talent but he needs to have someone looking after him and making sure he is doing everything necessary to succeed in the AFL.

I do however think that Shannon Grant/Brendan McCartney would not have suggested drafting Dickson if he was not fully committed. With a good AFL pre-season and conditioning i believe he could be a 30 goal a season forward. He plays a bit like Brad Johnson in terms of style or perhaps Darren Jarman would be a better comparison. He has a real knack of making a goal out of nothing.

stefoid
26-11-2011, 12:57 PM

edited.

I do however think that Shannon Grant/Brendan McCartney would not have suggested drafting Dickson if he was not fully committed. With a good AFL pre-season and conditioning i believe he could be a 30 goal a season forward. He plays a bit like Brad Johnson in terms of style or perhaps you know who or he who must not be named would be a better comparison. He has a real knack of making a goal out of nothing.

EasternWest
26-11-2011, 12:59 PM
edited.

I do however think that Shannon Grant/Brendan McCartney would not have suggested drafting Dickson if he was not fully committed. With a good AFL pre-season and conditioning i believe he could be a 30 goal a season forward. He plays a bit like Brad Johnson in terms of style or perhaps you know who or he who must not be named would be a better comparison. He has a real knack of making a goal out of nothing.

Voldemort?:D

stefoid
26-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Voldemort?:D

Voldemort didnt cause anywhere near as much heartache as you know who.

GVGjr
26-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Guys, lets get back on track with the thread title.

Raw Toast
27-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Much as I was enjoying the word play about evil characters, I will help this get back on track.

The Dogs have put the highlights video of Dickson back up (I couldn't get it to work earlier and thought it was just a mac thing, but apparently others couldn't get it to work either).

I've gotta say I enjoyed the highlights - there is a cracker tackle in there, some good body work, nice vision and a fair few goals as well: http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/126600/default.aspx

Judgment is reserved of course, but the idea of sticking it to Essendon is v nice as well.

Ghost Dog
27-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Good with both feet. Love the reel.

Raw Toast
27-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Good with both feet. Love the reel.

Indeed, though it'll be interesting to see how he copes with the increased speed at AFL level (he did a few things he'd struggle to get away with).

Nevertheless, some further snooping - I mean investigation - of some Bombers sites (and yes I do feel unclean, but sometimes you have to take one for the team!), reveals some interesting things.

Firstly, he came a close second in the Bendigo B&F (and was leading it for awhile) which is a fair effort on the extremely limited preseason and limited training through the week. Secondly, he is apparently very good over the ball and a decent decision-maker, so you can see why McCartney might have also taken a shine to him (along with Grant). A few Bendigo watchers saw him as a solution to their small forward woes with the chance of being part of their midfield rotation.

So count me as a bit more excited now.

Vezpremi showed some promise re both of these towards the end of last season, and I think there's room for a few players of this type, especially given the trading of Hill and delisting of Stack.

ps Some Bomber fans went off re them missing him (which was a bit stupid, cause they weren't going to take him with their second pick!), and a seemingly more rationale one of their mob did say that Essendon took a significant delay before making their pick @59, and the player they took - Nic O'Brien - is also a medium forward type (admittedly younger and a bit taller)...

BulldogBelle
27-11-2011, 11:52 PM
He looked quite Brad Johnson like at some stages. I am excited

Ghost Dog
27-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Indeed, though it'll be interesting to see how he copes with the increased speed at AFL level (he did a few things he'd struggle to get away with).

Nevertheless, some further snooping - I mean investigation - of some Bombers sites (and yes I do feel unclean, but sometimes you have to take one for the team!), reveals some interesting things.

Firstly, he came a close second in the Bendigo B&F (and was leading it for awhile) which is a fair effort on the extremely limited preseason and limited training through the week. Secondly, he is apparently very good over the ball and a decent decision-maker, so you can see why McCartney might have also taken a shine to him (along with Grant). A few Bendigo watchers saw him as a solution to their small forward woes with the chance of being part of their midfield rotation.

So count me as a bit more excited now.

Vezpremi showed some promise re both of these towards the end of last season, and I think there's room for a few players of this type, especially given the trading of Hill and delisting of Stack.

ps Some Bomber fans went off re them missing him (which was a bit stupid, cause they weren't going to take him with their second pick!), and a seemingly more rationale one of their mob did say that Essendon took a significant delay before making their pick @59, and the player they took - Nic O'Brien - is also a medium forward type (admittedly younger and a bit taller)...

half an hour a week training. If he gives us anything near what I saw on video, plus whatever he can give with a full pre-season at AFL level under his belt, Bulldogs fans should be pretty happy with that pick.

Greystache
28-11-2011, 12:13 AM
That's a very impressive highlights tape. He has some serious pace.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Everyone's highlight tape looks good, but you can see he has pure talent. Reads the ball well, uses his body extremely well, and finishes.

Seems like a pretty decent pick, if he can build his fitness up to AFL standard.

boydogs
28-11-2011, 02:47 AM
Love how he accelerates in his first few steps before he looks around and selects an option. Lot of running goals after taking the ball from a standstill.

stefoid
28-11-2011, 11:35 AM
ha ha, Dicko is going to die during preseason. I hope he savoured his last meat pie and beers on Sunday :D

Bulldog Revolution
28-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Everyone's highlight tape looks good, but you can see he has pure talent. Reads the ball well, uses his body extremely well, and finishes.

Seems like a pretty decent pick, if he can build his fitness up to AFL standard.

Yep, agreed, if you don't look good in your highlights tape there is a problem

But, what he is doing at VFL level is impressive

ledge
28-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Yep, agreed, if you don't look good in your highlights tape there is a problem

But, what he is doing at VFL level is impressive

Look up highlights in the dictionary:D

Dancin' Douggy
28-11-2011, 01:55 PM
He does look like he moves well though, and I like the pick on several fronts.

A. He looks like a natural mover and already has a better kicking action than half the players in the league.
B. Definitely need players in that age bracket.
C. I really love it if it's true that Effingdon were seething (just love using that word.......seething)
D. Shows that McCartney has got the balls to 'not play nice' and steal him from the bombers due to his inside information.
Hope now he actually turns it on to rub salt long and hard and deep into the Bombers wound.

Pedro Sanchez
28-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Good to see a guy get picked up who looks a natural player - opposed to the project athletic types picked purely for there seemingless endless 'upsides'.

Good luck Dicko - here's hoping we have some fun watching you give it a crack!

Dazza
28-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Reminds me of Vezpremi.

Ghost Dog
28-11-2011, 03:08 PM
he'll look a natural in the tri colours I reckon. I can visualize it now, kicking the winning goal against the bombers....

Guido
28-11-2011, 03:22 PM
How many mature aged recruits (VFL/SANFL standouts as opposed to AFL delistings) have turned out to be abject failures in the past 5 years?

Barlow, Podsiadly, Puopolo, Mzungu, Duigan, Silvagni in the last few years ... Mitchell, Davey, Hudson, Morris in the years before that ... on the surface, going down this route with later picks seems to have a much better strike rate than sticking with 17-18 year olds.

ledge
28-11-2011, 03:27 PM
How many mature aged recruits have turned out to be abject failures in the past 5 years?

Barlow, Podsiadly, Puopolo, Mzungu, Duigan, Silvagni in the last few years ... Mitchell, Davey, Hudson, Morris in the years before that ... on the surface, going down this route with later picks seems to have a much better strike rate than sticking with 17-18 year olds.

Well why spend 2 years getting a player ready and then see them leave for a better offer.
2 years you could of had a 24 yo pulling the jumper on from game 1

Guido
28-11-2011, 03:34 PM
He's proven capable of contributing to a premiership, which is all that is asked of any recruit. About a dozen players drafted in that time (with later picks that could have been used on him) not only proved that they couldn't contribute at the top level, but in fact probably detracted from the team's flag chances in 06-10.

While we played Tiller, Skipper and Wight in finals, he was consistently showing that he was ten times the player than all of them put together at the next level down.

the banker
28-11-2011, 04:20 PM
He looked quite Brad Johnson like at some stages. I am excited

Just saw the vision and have to agree there was a bit of Jonno about some of the moves. Looks to have great spacial sense. Obviously spots a goal from anywhere. Definitely worth the selection on the highlights reel.

LostDoggy
29-11-2011, 02:16 PM
So let's see.......we should have gone for an A-grader who can play back and forward, take stints in the midfield where he will be required to win his own ball as per McCartney's gameplan, but have breakaway speed, good decision making and precise disposal.....and he must be someone who isn't on the radar of another club......and preferably someone we could pick up as a rookie.

Welcome to the club Tory.

Best of luck. I'll be supporting you and reserve any judgement until after the hearsay and other bullshit have cleared and the on field stuff writes itself

jeemak
30-11-2011, 12:54 AM
Reminds me of Vezpremi.

Me too.

I have high hopes for Vez. He's a little bit manic with the ball at the moment but when he concentrates he's quality.

If Dickson can provide some quality competition for a spot then we're not going to be any worse for it.

Both of these guys fit will be a good thing for us.

Ghost Dog
02-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Bump - Dickson was awesome against the Lions. Crashes packs and those Lee Matthews-ish legs are not easily pushed off the ball

Hotdog60
02-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Bump - Dickson was awesome against the Lions. Crashes packs and those Lee Matthews-ish legs are not easily pushed off the ball

The thing I notice that he looks to have gain more endurance with another preseason under his belt. Also his tacking looks more assured this year which must be from a better fitness base.

azabob
02-04-2013, 08:13 PM

I think it is fair to say Dickson exceeded expectations last season and looks to be on the right path to continue his improvement.

Ghost Dog
02-04-2013, 08:20 PM
The thing I notice that he looks to have gain more endurance with another preseason under his belt. Also his tacking looks more assured this year which must be from a better fitness base.

I admit, I thought having him and Gia in the side would make us a bit one paced. But if he continues to chase and tackle like he did last night, is anyone else accepting we could have both in the side? I guess it's possible. Would actually make a bloody good a la Scott Thompson midfielder.

azabob
02-04-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:

I do however think that Shannon Grant/Brendan McCartney would not have suggested drafting Dickson if he was not fully committed. With a good AFL pre-season and conditioning i believe he could be a 30 goal a season forward. He plays a bit like Brad Johnson in terms of style or perhaps Darren Jarman would be a better comparison. He has a real knack of making a goal out of nothin

Gee divvydan whoever you VFL spy was certainly was on the mark with the 30 goals.

azabob
02-04-2013, 08:23 PM
I admit, I thought having him and Gia in the side would make us a bit one paced. But if he continues to chase and tackle like he did last night, is anyone else accepting we could have both in the side? I guess it's possible. Would actually make a bloody good a la Scott Thompson midfielder.

Of course both can fit in the one side, both have great goal sense, football ability and the knack for finding space.

Dickson to me at least, appears quicker than Gia by quite a bit.

Dazza
02-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Gia is looking in pretty good shape this year. Was probably carrying something last year.

wimberga
02-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Gia is looking in pretty good shape this year. Was probably carrying something last year.

Also had that impression Dazb. Didnt remember him last year moving anywhere near as well as he did on the weekend.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-04-2013, 01:51 PM

I can't remember where I heard it, but apparently he was playing injured for most of the season.

He did move much better on the weekend, hopefully he doesn't decline.

Just on Dickson, I was a little worried about his pre-season form, but he was terrific v Brisbane. He's so good in a one on one situation, uses his body exceptionally well, but added to what we already know, his defensive pressure was immense.

F'scary
03-04-2013, 06:04 PM

He looks to me as if he has got rid of a couple of kilos from this time last year. Carrying injury=can't train as hard=less fit=not quite at fighting weight.

jeemak
04-04-2013, 01:53 AM
I'm hopeful that with Dickson developing consistently into a hard working and reliable goal scoring forward we'll nail the transition to Gia's retirement.

I've always been a big fan of Gia, he's through many years accounted for himself extremely well as a forward (in probably the hardest position on the ground - third option, diversion, and required to create scoring opportunites through assists, or score himself) when really, he should have been a midfielder.

Dickson is a pure forward who has surprised me. If he keeps improving and putting in the effort he has since his first few games on the list he'll be a very inspired acquisition for the club.

Bulldog Joe
04-04-2013, 06:52 AM
Dickson highlights the value in mature aged players. His efforts in 2012 probably gave the club the confidence to add Goodes for this year.

This is a trend now that every club seems to have picked up and I guess that trail was blazed by Michael Barlow and Pods.

bulldogtragic
18-04-2017, 03:26 PM
I just spent half an hour on this, so how's this for a stat:

In the modern game (post 1930's), players who have kicked an average of 3 goals or more in finals games (criteria: minimum 5 finals):

Dunstall, Buddy, Kernahan, KB, Al Lynch, Doug Wade, GAS, Sumich, Brownless, TORY DICKSON

(None average over 4)

Twodogs
18-04-2017, 04:13 PM
How about pre 1930?

From memory Dicky Lee kicked 722 goals in 211 games for Collingwood, does it say what his finals average was? And I think Gordon Coventry had a couple of bags of 8 and 9 in finals but he played about 50 of them so his average is probably below 3 per game. And he played a few years past 1930.

bulldogtragic
18-04-2017, 04:16 PM
How about pre 1930?

From memory Dicky Lee kicked 722 goals in 211 games for Collingwood, does it say what his finals average was? And I think Gordon Coventry had a couple of bags of 8 and 9 in finals but he played about 50 of them so his average is probably below 3 per game. And he played a few years past 1930.

There's a few, maybe 4 or 5, from the 1920's & 1930's. I threw my hand written notes out, but those guys were on the list.

ratsmac
18-04-2017, 07:18 PM
Football didn't even exist before 1954 :p

Nice Stat BT

whythelongface
18-04-2017, 07:29 PM
Set to return in a week. We are really missing Dicko. Assume he will return via the VFL.

Remi Moses
18-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Dickson is severely underrated .

Twodogs
18-04-2017, 11:43 PM
There's a few, maybe 4 or 5, from the 1920's & 1930's. I threw my hand written notes out, but those guys were on the list.

Errr. Jim Freake and Jack Moriarty from Fitzroy kicked a few goals and played a few finals pre 1930. George Bayliss kicked a few for Richmond and would have played in a few finals. Soapy Vallence kicked 11 in a final twice but he played pre and after 1930 so I not know if you count him,

MrMahatma
19-04-2017, 12:19 AM
How about the names mentioned on the first page of this thread. Jones, Grant, Panos... Vespremi!

It was 6 years ago but gee the list changed for the better, in a quick way.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-04-2017, 12:40 AM
Really can't wait to get him back.

comrade
19-04-2017, 09:12 AM
How about the names mentioned on the first page of this thread. Jones, Grant, Panos... Vespremi!

Shane Thorne gets a mention too.

Cyberdoggie
19-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Dickson is severely underrated .

He has a tendency to struggle for form and fitness when he comes back from injuries for various reasons,
hope that isn't the case this time.

Happy Days
19-04-2017, 04:11 PM

The saddest thing is that if two of those guys were on our list I'd probably still rate them.

westdog54
10-05-2017, 10:00 PM
Random bump:

Trivia question. What singular fact made Tory Dickson unique in our premiership team?

Bulldog Revolution
10-05-2017, 10:24 PM
Random bump:

Trivia question. What singular fact made Tory Dickson unique in our premiership team?

First dogs premiership player whose Dad played for Richmond? named Tory

Highest grand final dogs goal kicker in grand final history?

bulldogtragic
10-05-2017, 10:26 PM
Our only premiership player called Tory.

jazzadogs
10-05-2017, 10:54 PM
Our only premiership player called Tory.

Potentially not just our first Tory, but the first in the whole comp?
Although I would think Zaine would also be the first of his name...

westdog54
10-05-2017, 11:02 PM
Nope, nope and nope. Has to do with his time at the club.

Edit: I've stuffed up here, he's not unique. This is something he shares with JJ.

bornadog
10-05-2017, 11:07 PM

Edit: I've stuffed up here, he's not unique. This is something he shares with JJ.

Oldest player with least AFL games played?

Ozza
10-05-2017, 11:08 PM
Came into the game with a 50-50 win/loss record....the GF broke the deadlock!

Twodogs
11-05-2017, 12:05 AM

Footscray and western Bulldog premiership players?

westdog54
11-05-2017, 12:08 AM
Footscray and western Bulldog premiership players?

Ding!

Twodogs
11-05-2017, 01:28 AM
Ding!

I read it somewhere. I would have thought there would be more than that.

jeemak
11-05-2017, 01:32 AM
It's him, of course it's HIM - TWODOGS!

Mofra
11-05-2017, 01:52 PM
Highest grand final dogs goal kicker in grand final history?
Jack Collins kicked 7 in the 54 flag

Murphy'sLore
11-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Even though only two members of that 2014 VFL premiership team played in the 2016 premiership, that event really turned the whole club around. Though the arrival of Bevo was obviously huge, something else changed that day that carried over into the next two years.

bornadog
11-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Not sure why he is being spelled this week???

Ozza
11-05-2017, 03:24 PM
I reckon he will definitely play v Geelong next Friday. With the VFL playing on the Saturday - they may think the best move for him is to have a freshen up this week and start to prepare for next Friday night.

Twodogs
11-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Even though only two members of that 2014 VFL premiership team played in the 2016 premiership, that event really turned the whole club around. Though the arrival of Bevo was obviously huge, something else changed that day that carried over into the next two years.

Yeah, something fundamental altered in the fabric of our club that day and or whole mentality changed. It's like we learned what sacrifices have to be made in order to be successful and immediately began sacrificing everyone unwilling or incapable of making them. The captain, the coach, the CEO the 'star' players.

westdog54
11-05-2017, 09:17 PM
I read it somewhere. I would have thought there would be more than that.

When you think about it, a fair chunk of that team left the club that year.

Ayce Cordy, Christian Howard, Sam Darley, Tom Young, Liam Jones, Jarrad Grant and Jason Tutt were all gone by September, Alex Greenwood and Mark Austin were dropped from the Rookie list and Daniel Pearce was delisted and rookied.

Of the rest, Brett Goodes and Tahleeya was gone a year later, Redpath was injured come Grand Final time, Jong lost his spot, Campbell missed out and Honeychurch was nowhere near it.

Of the 18 Bulldogs-listed players in that team, 12 are no longer senior players.

kruder
11-05-2017, 11:58 PM
I reckon he will definitely play v Geelong next Friday. With the VFL playing on the Saturday - they may think the best move for him is to have a freshen up this week and start to prepare for next Friday night.

Yeah seems like we are trying to bring in a few fresh players in after the dreaded return from playing from Perth. I reckon Wallis will be a big chance also.