PDA

View Full Version : Draft:

bulldogtragic
24-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Hppy enpough.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Not sure.

Smith - great intensity, but another player who can't kick? We have plenty of these.

Talia is a good pick.

No idea about the others.

bornadog
24-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Yes happy we got probably what we wanted, unsure on picking a 24 year old.

Twodogs
24-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Ask me again in two years.

Remi Moses
24-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Ask me again in two years.

Ditto^^^

Remi Moses
24-11-2011, 09:42 PM

Geelong picked up a 29 year old.

Twodogs
24-11-2011, 09:44 PM

It's becoming more common for clubs to draft players in their early to mid 20s. I'm not that stressed about his age as long as he can play the game.

Greystache
24-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Happy we picked up Talia.

bulldogsman
24-11-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm a little disappointed.

I thought our biggest needs were players that could run the ball and use it well by foot. I don't think either of our first 2 selections covered the needs I was hoping for and there were some good ones available in Crozier and Kavanagh. Talia is a tall defender we do need though, so i'm not unhappy with this selection.
Pearce I think fills our needs and I'm happy with this selection.
Not sure about Dickson, probably thought we may go another way with Vespa on our list. I would have loved Bolger at this selection.

Dancin' Douggy
24-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Maybe I'll be proved wrong but the last thing we need is a tough inside midfielder with average skills and average pace. Hope I'm wrong but very underwhelmed by the selection of Clay Smith. Having said that he's one of us now and I hope he has me eating my words.

AndrewP6
24-11-2011, 10:29 PM
A toss up for me (voted 'not sure')...barely know a thing about those selected, and it could be years before we see much from some of them.

strebla
25-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Our first selection leaves me pondering happy beyond that but Clay Smith ???? REAllY!!!!:confused:

boydogs
25-11-2011, 12:20 AM

As opposed to developing them for 4 years before they get regular games?

chef
25-11-2011, 08:00 AM
I am very happy with our draft.

We got a replacement for Ward, one of the better KPD's to development(which we desparately needed) and two guys we rated(one of whom should be right to play straight away). But it's going to take a few years to see if this was a good or bad draft.

LostDoggy
25-11-2011, 10:55 AM

Thanks gogriff. Saved me the typing.

The Underdog
25-11-2011, 11:22 AM

If his fitness is as poor as some say though, is it going to take him a year before he can play AFL?

Cyberdoggie
25-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Our first selection leaves me pondering happy beyond that but Clay Smith ???? REAllY!!!!:confused:

It's like choosing the Landcruiser instead of the Ferrari but perhaps we'll be going 4wd'ing more than we go to the track (if that makes sense!).

I personally think this kid will get quite a reputation and will be very popular with supporters once we see him put his body on the line, it just seems like we made a bad choice now because he's not a flashy player, a hulking key forward, or a skillfull magician.

I think it's a good pick for this year and hopefully with our better draft position next year we can look for the next Chris Judd or Adam Goodes.

Dancin' Douggy
25-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Waylon Manson worth a punt anyone? Rookie draft?

always right
25-11-2011, 12:00 PM
So we're happy about the gameplan that McCartney has been articulating but are then second guessing his selections of the type of player he believes we need to implement that gameplan. Just want to make sure I'm clear on this.

The Underdog
25-11-2011, 01:49 PM
So we're happy about the gameplan that McCartney has been articulating but are then second guessing his selections of the type of player he believes we need to implement that gameplan. Just want to make sure I'm clear on this.

I think it's more a query about the lack of footskills and pace in our team not being close to addressed with the first 2 picks. Maybe it's part of a long term plan and next year we'll hit up skillful players galore, but if Cooney can't spend a lot of time in the midfield then we have approximately 1 mid with any kicking penetration whatsoever and Griff can be a bit of a lottery at times going into the 50.
Look, we'll all probably love Smith's aggression and attitude and it's McCartney's team and he'll live or die on selections like this but we still have serious deficiencies that need to be addressed (and hopefully will next year)

LongWait
25-11-2011, 03:10 PM
I think it's more a query about the lack of footskills and pace in our team not being close to addressed with the first 2 picks. Maybe it's part of a long term plan and next year we'll hit up skillful players galore, but if Cooney can't spend a lot of time in the midfield then we have approximately 1 mid with any kicking penetration whatsoever and Griff can be a bit of a lottery at times going into the 50.
Look, we'll all probably love Smith's aggression and attitude and it's McCartney's team and he'll live or die on selections like this but we still have serious deficiencies that need to be addressed (and hopefully will next year)

The most serious deficiency was a game plan which relied heavily on skills which we repeatedly found couldn't be replicated consistently under extreme pressure. The coach is rectifying the deficiencies in the game plan and getting players who suit the new plan. You appear to want us to recruit for the old gameplan.

the banker
25-11-2011, 03:18 PM
The most serious deficiency was a game plan which relied heavily on skills which we repeatedly found couldn't be replicated consistently under extreme pressure. The coach is rectifying the deficiencies in the game plan and getting players who suit the new plan. You appear to want us to recruit for the old gameplan.

^^^agree

the banker
25-11-2011, 03:20 PM
It's like choosing the Landcruiser instead of the Ferrari but perhaps we'll be going 4wd'ing more than we go to the track (if that makes sense!).

I personally think this kid will get quite a reputation and will be very popular with supporters once we see him put his body on the line, it just seems like we made a bad choice now because he's not a flashy player, a hulking key forward, or a skillfull magician.

I think it's a good pick for this year and hopefully with our better draft position next year we can look for the next Chris Judd or Adam Goodes.

^^^agree

The Underdog
25-11-2011, 04:44 PM

Does the new game plan involve rugby mauling the ball into the forward line? I assume at some point we have to kick it to each other?

LongWait
25-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Does the new game plan involve rugby mauling the ball into the forward line? I assume at some point we have to kick it to each other?

Don't exagerate my point and then denigrate it.

Kicking skills and ball-winning skills are not mutually exclusive. The players who will suit the new game plan will still need to be able to effectively dispose of the ball and ensure we keep possession. Unfortunately, execution of a game plan which relies on elite kicking skills under pressure was beyond us and, in fact, resulted in us losing possession too often.

chef
25-11-2011, 06:52 PM
If his fitness is as poor as some say though, is it going to take him a year before he can play AFL?

Who are the some?

Greystache
25-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Who are the some?

Noble Park's president is one.

chef
25-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Noble Park's president is one.

Which would made it over 12 months ago that he last saw him train?

Greystache
25-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Which would made it over 12 months ago that he last saw him train?

Not exactly, he did the preseason at Noble Park this year and only moved to Bendigo just before the start of the season.

chef
25-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Not exactly, he did the preseason at Noble Park this year and only moved to Bendigo just before the start of the season.

Smart move.

boydogs
25-11-2011, 10:11 PM

I don't think so, it's not the same challenge as putting meat on Cordy & Grant.

KT31
26-11-2011, 12:45 AM
I don't think so, it's not the same challenge as putting meat on Cordy & Grant.

Muscle or weight, both have to lift.
We have put a lot into both and rewards seem to be a long way off.
Grant is far ahead of Cordy.
And I still reserve my jugement on both, but other players recruited in the same year at less of a cost have jumped leaps and bound s past Cordy.

LostDoggy
26-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Well, I don't know anything about anything and am a bit underwhelmed by this pick from all accounts but I guess you wouldn't say that Joel Selwood (for example, as a type of player that Macca would be going for) has elite kicking skills.

Callan certainly didn't have elite kicking skills. It was middling to good, not brilliant.

Besides, I don't think it's the skills per se, as much as the decision making with an existing skillset that is more important sometimes,especially as a replicable gamestyle under finals pressure (a la LongWait's point, albeit slightly less grumpily. :) )

Sockeye Salmon
26-11-2011, 01:17 AM
Well, I don't know anything about anything and am a bit underwhelmed by this pick from all accounts but I guess you wouldn't say that Joel Selwood (for example, as a type of player that Macca would be going for) has elite kicking skills.

Callan certainly didn't have elite kicking skills. It was middling to good, not brilliant.

Besides, I don't think it's the skills per se, as much as the decision making with an existing skillset that is more important sometimes.

Ward was as good below his knees as anyone I've ever seen. He only needed a fingertip on the ball to control it.

KT31
26-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Ward was as good below his knees as anyone I've ever seen. He only needed a fingertip on the ball to control it.

That comes from reaching deep into your pocket for such a heavy wallet.:D

Mitcha
26-11-2011, 10:00 AM
That comes from reaching deep into your pocket for such a heavy wallet.:D

Gold, comedy Gold. Well played sir!

Ghost Dog
26-11-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm a little disappointed.

I thought our biggest needs were players that could run the ball and use it well by foot. I don't think either of our first 2 selections covered the needs I was hoping for and there were some good ones available in Crozier and Kavanagh. Talia is a tall defender we do need though, so i'm not unhappy with this selection.
Pearce I think fills our needs and I'm happy with this selection.
Not sure about Dickson, probably thought we may go another way with Vespa on our list. I would have loved Bolger at this selection.

Getting Talia was no mean feat by what you read. Outstanding by the club.
Bit of a squeeze now for Vezpa in the selection area but won't be short of attacking options.

GVGjr
26-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Bit of a squeeze now for Vezpa in the selection area but won't be short of attacking options.

I'm not sure it was outstanding unless we planned for him to be there in which case it was hardly a steal. I'd like to know who we might have selected if Talia was selected before our pick.

LongWait
26-11-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure it was outstanding unless we planned for him to be there in which case it was hardly a steal. I'd like to know who we might have selected if Talia was selected before our pick.

How do you rate the club's selections?

Mantis
26-11-2011, 11:15 AM

:confused::confused:

It's mind-numbing if you actually believe this statement.

bulldogsman
26-11-2011, 11:22 AM

I've seen a lot of Talia. Granted I'm no expert or recruiter, but I thought there was reasonable chance he would be available come pick 39 (see my phantom draft). I'm very happy the club passed on him with our 1st pick, but I'm not sure what's so outstanding about it.

ledge
26-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Clay and Libber are the same kind of player by what I am reading but Libber is better with disposal, will Clay and Libber alternate?

GVGjr
26-11-2011, 11:52 AM
How do you rate the club's selections?

It was a strange approach. Based on what I saw last year, the side needed to add pacy players but ignored that and we seemed to have cloned some players we already have.

Smith is a good footballer. He reads the play well and he can no doubt add something in the contested football situations. He's not slow but he certainly won't hurt sides with his running nor with his skills. His kicking is proppy and it reminds me a bit of Nathan Jones from Melbourne kicking. I don't believe he is a replacement for Ward.

Talia is a good KPD but he also lacks a step in pace and his kicking isn't direct enough. He prefers to chip the ball sideways with his kicking.
His best features are that he is strong in one on one contests and that he's very physical with his opponents which I like in a defender. A mate of mine thinks he's a lot like Norths Scott Thompson.

Pearce is a good runner and has nice skills. I think he was compared to a shorter version of Easton Wood by the club but I think he's more similar to Schofield.

I have doubts that Dickson can spend any time in the midfield because he's coming from a mile back with his fitness so that means he's best suited to a small FP role and probably means he's bumping heads with Veszpremi for a spot in the senior side.
Is he any better than say a Patrick Rose? I remember the knock on him was that he didn't have the fitness to rotate through the midfield.

To me that means 3 of our 4 selections aren't going to add a lot to our running stocks.

Mitcha
26-11-2011, 12:01 PM
It was a strange approach.
Based on what I saw last year, the side needed to add pacy players but ignored that and we seemed to have cloned some players we already have.

Tell me which players play that role who you would have taken with our picks?

ledge
26-11-2011, 12:06 PM

And ones that were available at those picks

GVGjr
26-11-2011, 12:20 PM

It's not really the point of the question I answered.
As I mentioned, we weren't a quick side last season and after draft day, I'm not sure we wanted to address that. Do you think we have addressed a lack of leg speed?

Mitcha
26-11-2011, 12:28 PM
As I mentioned, we weren't a quick side last season and after draft day, I'm not sure we wanted to address that. Do you think we have addressed a lack of leg speed?
It's a bit difficult to address needs when from what I was told there were no quick outside players available after a few in the first ten.

GVGjr
26-11-2011, 12:37 PM
It's a bit difficult to address needs when from what I was told there were no quick outside players available after a few in the first ten.

I'm surprised you were told that. There were a quite a few quick guys taken after 10 and even after our pick at 17.
Crozier for one is quite quick and very athletic. Murray Newman has terrific pace.

stefoid
26-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Perhaps we will adopt more of a run in waves, wear the tackles, handball happy geelong style? Maybe our players will be instruct to drop like they have been hamstrung when they feel a tackle and the umps will giv us lots of undeserved head-high frees?

ledge
26-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Maybe we are going for football nous and not athletes who might be able to play.

immortalmike
26-11-2011, 02:33 PM

To be honest I think as supporters we place too much importance on leg speed. Both Geelong and Collingwood have very few players that you'd say have genuine pace. What they do have is a lot of players who are good at the contest and make very good decisions. I think Sherman, Dahlhaus, Murphy, Wood, Griffen, Grant, and Tutt are almost enough when it comes to pure leg speed.

LongWait
26-11-2011, 08:53 PM
It was a strange approach. Based on what I saw last year, the side needed to add pacy players but ignored that and we seemed to have cloned some players we already have.

Maybe the club now rates winning your own ball and defensive pressure when we haven't got the ball much higher than how fast you can run.

LostDoggy
26-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Maybe the club now rates winning your own ball and defensive pressure when we haven't got the ball much higher than how fast you can run.

This statement does not stack up: we would have had one of the slowest lists in the AFL even prior the draft. However, in the three prelim final years we were one of (and statistically) the best contested ball side in the league. We still have the core of that midfield, the only missing piece being a fit Cooney, who provides the quality and pace bursting through the pack.

Pace and defensive pressure aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, some would say that you can't really exert defensive pressure (especially in the front half) without pace, no matter how committed or fit you are. Some of the best defensive forwards are also the paciest small forwards going around (Rioli et al.)

GVGjr
26-11-2011, 10:20 PM

Obviously they do otherwise they might have taken a different approach.
You asked for my opinion and I gave a detailed response and now here is a couple for you.
- Were you concerned by our lack of leg speed last year?
- Given our playing list prior to the draft did you place a higher emphasis on winning the contested ball than pace, run and skills?

The Underdog
27-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Don't exagerate my point and then denigrate it.

Kicking skills and ball-winning skills are not mutually exclusive. The players who will suit the new game plan will still need to be able to effectively dispose of the ball and ensure we keep possession. Unfortunately, execution of a game plan which relies on elite kicking skills under pressure was beyond us and, in fact, resulted in us losing possession too often.

Sorry for being glib but I just don't see how not addressing a lack of skill and pace helps any game plan.I get your point about the problem with the old game plan against pressure but I'd argue that having more poor kicks on the team isn't going to assist greatly when teams are applying strong pressure. I've yet to see any average to poor kicks of the footy who get better under pressure and going forward our midfield will consist of Boyd, Cross, Griffen, (part-time) Cooney, Wallis, Libber, Dahlhaus largely. The pace and skill of that group worries me immensely. And the kicking prowess outside of them isn't flash either.
I'm fully prepared to wait and see what comes around but our deficiencies in these areas are glaring and I can't see them improving greatly given our off season.

Hotdog60
27-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Will we become handball happy to create space and time for better delivery.

Dazza
27-11-2011, 10:35 AM
We might have to adopt Sydneys tactics.

* Reasonably happy with the draft. They are all world beaters ATM.

How would you rate Smith against a guy like Sam Reid?

Happy getting Talia although his kicking doesn't look great. Seems like a natural defender though and better backup than Mulligan at the very worst.

The others I'm not sure how I feel about. Apparently this was a weak draft so my expectations for late picks aren't too high.

chef
27-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Sorry for being glib but I just don't see how not addressing a lack of skill and pace helps any game plan.I get your point about the problem with the old game plan against pressure but I'd argue that having more poor kicks on the team isn't going to assist greatly when teams are applying strong pressure. I've yet to see any average to poor kicks of the footy who get better under pressure and going forward our midfield will consist of Boyd, Cross, Griffen, (part-time) Cooney, Wallis, Libber, Dahlhaus largely. The pace and skill of that group worries me immensely. And the kicking prowess outside of them isn't flash either.
I'm fully prepared to wait and see what comes around but our deficiencies in these areas are glaring and I can't see them improving greatly given our off season.

It's going to take more than one draft to correct our deficiencies. Next year we have two first rounds and two thirds rounds already, plus it's back to a normal draft so I'm not too fussed about not getting an outside runner early this year.

LongWait
27-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Obviously they do otherwise they might have taken a different approach.
You asked for my opinion and I gave a detailed response and now here is a couple for you.
- Were you concerned by our lack of leg speed last year?
- Given our playing list prior to the draft did you place a higher emphasis on winning the contested ball than pace, run and skills?

I thought we were exposed at times in games by teams who appeared to have more leg speed - especially up forward and when Dahlhous and Grant were not prominent. Teams simply ran the ball hard out of our forward line and through the middle. This was exascerbated by our regularly displaying an almost complete absense of defensive forward pressure and our inconsistency in our ability to spread and receive from the contest. It is these characteristics as much as a genuine lack of leg speed that made us look slow at times.

So the answer to your first question is that I think you pose the wrong question.

What is the most important deficiency we need to overcome? Leg-speed was not the answer at this time (although I concede that the balance will shift as more players are in the team who effectively play the new game style - then added leg speed might become a very high priority.) I would add that, if faced with choosing between two players, both of whom tick all of the contested ball winning, defensive pressure, team oriented boxes, then you'd chose between them based upon kicking skills and then maybe leg speed. There are so many attributes that make an elite footballer that it is difficult to isolate one or two attributes. Some (including Wells at Geelong) argue that footballing intelligence and simple ability to play the game rank far more highly than any athletic abilities, including leg-speed, or being elite at one element of the game but ordinary at everything else, for example being an elite kick but useless in other aspects.

Isn't it really now about getting players who can and will play the team plan? That is the fundamental non-negotiable now that individual brilliance is no longer enough to get you a flag at the elite level. Even Chris Grant conceded that we as a club have always celebrated individual brilliance too much and I think many agree that senior players have had too much influence and independance at our club. Coaching and having an appropriate and well executed game plan are becoming increasingly important elements in the modern game, as opposed to the talent of the individual players.

GVGjr
27-11-2011, 12:38 PM
There are so many attributes that make an elite footballer that it is difficult to isolate one or two attributes. Some (including Wells at Geelong) argue that footballing intelligence and simple ability to play the game rank more far more highly than any athletic abilities, including leg-speed, or being elite at one element of the game but ordinary at everything else, for example being an elite kick but useless in other aspects.

This is an excellent point. The Cats will look to take good all-round players generally providing they have football smarts and they still have a good balance of pace and skills. They aren't afraid to also take players who are a little older like they have with Harry Taylor (in the 1st round) Pods and Stephenson if they fill a need.
They also more often than not pick from late in the draft especially in the first round but to me there is always a focus on players being somewhat athletic but not slow.

They seem to do it better than most year after year.

Their recent draft history

Joel Hamling - Athletic forward
Shane Kersten - Forward
Jordan Murdoch - Athletic forward
Lincoln McCarthy
Orren Stephenson - Ruckman

Billie Smedts - Athletic mid sized defender
Cameron Guthrie - Footy smart mid sized defender
George Horlin Smith - Athletic (project) forward/midfielder
Jordan Schroeder
James Posiadly

Daniel Menzel - Footy smart athletic utility
Mitchell Duncan - Footy smart midfielder/forward
Nathan Vardy - Forward/ruckman
Allen Christensen - Quick midfielder forward
Josh Cowan - Midfielder

Mitchell Brown - Key forward
Tom Gillies - Tall defender
Taylor Hunt - Small defender

GVGjr
27-11-2011, 01:12 PM
One other thing to add to the discussion on Geelong. They traded their first round pick (26) to GWS for two 2nd round selections (32 and 34)
It appears to me that their planning had a lot of method in their madness and they worked out that they could use a later pick than 26 to get the player they wanted in Hamling. With the extra pick in the 2nd round they snared Kersten who was strongly touted to go in the top 30. They topped it off with Murdoch at their natural pick #48.

They obviously didn't see the need to use pick 26 on Hamling when something early in the 30's would still get the job done.
It's a good lesson in not 'reaching' for a player if you can somehow increase the value of your selections via a trade. It does however, require a lot of forward planning. It appears to me that they got an extra 2nd round selection (early) for nothing.
Love to have a chat to Neil Balme and Stephen Wells on why they traded that pick.

azabob
27-11-2011, 01:19 PM
One other thing to add to the discussion on Geelong. They traded their first round pick (26) to GWS for two 2nd round selections (32 and 34)
It appears to me that their planning had a lot of method in their madness and they worked out that they could use a later pick than 26 to get the player they wanted in Hamling. With the extra pick in the 2nd round they snared Kersten who was strongly touted to go in the top 30. They topped it off with Murdoch at their natural pick #48.

They obviously didn't see the need to use pick 26 on Hamling when something early in the 30's would still get the job done.
It's a good lesson in not 'reaching' for a player if you can somehow increase the value of your selections via a trade. It does however, require a lot of forward planning. It appears to me that they got an extra 2nd round selection (early) for nothing.
Love to have a chat to Neil Balme and Stephen Wells on why they traded that pick.One other thing to add to the discussion on Geelong. They traded their first round pick (26) to GWS for two 2nd round selections (32 and 34)

Love to have a chat to Neil Balme and Stephen Wells on why they traded that pick.

Geelong also did a similar tactic in 2009, as you say they must spend a lot of time planning and only do it if they can see value.

LostDoggy
27-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Here's a stupid question (sorry I haven't been following the draft closely this year). Considering Geelong's foresight in trading a pick down if they know their choices aren't rated in the top 20 etc...

Where was Clay Smith touted to go in the draft if we didn't take him at 17?

I've heard anywhere from 30+ to not getting picked at all. This is very similar to the Christian Howard scenario. I guess I'm echoing the sentiments of some: if we're going to 'reach' every year, why not just trade the early pick for more picks down the order like Geelong do? No one wants the guys we keep picking in the first round anyway, we may as well get two birds with the one stone.

Mitcha
27-11-2011, 05:54 PM
From memory Clay Smith was touted to go somewhere between 15-30.

immortalmike
27-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Here's a stupid question (sorry I haven't been following the draft closely this year). Considering Geelong's foresight in trading a pick down if they know their choices aren't rated in the top 20 etc...

I've heard anywhere from 30+ to not getting picked at all. This is very similar to the Christian Howard scenario. I guess I'm echoing the sentiments of some: if we're going to 'reach' every year, why not just trade the early pick for more picks down the order like Geelong do? No one wants the guys we keep picking in the first round anyway, we may as well get two birds with the one stone.

I'm not sure where you heard this but there were many articles (linked to on this very site) stating that Smith was an almost certain first rounder with at least 15 clubs interested in him.

As for Howard it has come to light since that draft that we were hoping for a couple of players to slide to our pick (which they very nearly did) and they unfortunately didn't so we took the next guy on our list which was Howard. Howard was apparently the 14th (correct me if I'm wrong) best player on our draft list with the other thirteen guys we rated along with Kane Lucas (our recruiting team apparently didn't rate him) being taken before him. Not sure how you plan for that in advance...

GVGjr
27-11-2011, 07:15 PM

I think most had him somewhere between 16 and 25. The problem from what I understand is that the coach only got involved in the last week or two on the type of player he wanted or more specifically Clay Smith.

In the end, we always walk away with nearly every player we want but I think at times we pay a premium for it.

LongWait
27-11-2011, 07:34 PM
I think most had him somewhere between 16 and 25. The problem from what I understand is that the coach only got involved in the last week or two on the type of player he wanted or more specifically Clay Smith.

In the end, we always walk away with nearly every player we want but I think at times we pay a premium for it.

I don't place a lot of store in the phantom draft/bigfooty group think, but for what it's worth I think that most of the regular phantom drafters had Clay Smith as top 20. On that basis we didn't reach for Smith.

Emma Quayle also indicated a few days prior to the draft that we had keen on Crozier but presumably after some intervention from the McCartneys, we then shifted our focus onto Smith. We got our man and then got another potential first round pick and supposedly the best KPD in Talia with pick 39.

chef
27-11-2011, 08:57 PM

Carlton were pretty keen and would have taken him at 22.