PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs steal a bargain in AFL national draft with Michael Talia

The Coon Dog
25-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Sam Landsberger - Leader - 25 November

IT is a wonder Western Bulldogs recruiter Simon Dalrymple escaped detention and heavy police questioning at Sydney airport.

Dalrymple and his Dogs offsiders committed theft at last night's AFL National Draft, stealing touted first-round key defender Michael Talia at the bargain price of No. 39.

And as the master scout called out the Greenvale teen's name it started a waterfall of tears at Talia's family house as the passionate Doggies tribe erupted in, at first, shock, then relief, and finally jubilation.

Talia's selection was enough to spark emotion from Bulldogs royalty, with grandfather and 1954 premiership hero Harvey Stevens unable to contain his excitement.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-steal-a-bargain-in-afl-national-draft-with-michael-talia/story-fn53klc6-1226206209445?sv=1f0bbcc2a5758e3c02b0a7a6c8c11f28)

Bulldog Revolution
25-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Great article about the boy Talia, and it does fill you with confidence that he will do everything within his powers.

Dancin' Douggy
25-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Love shit like that. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

The Coon Dog
25-11-2011, 05:34 PM
How good would it have been if there was a camera crew there to film the reactions?

Dancin' Douggy
25-11-2011, 05:36 PM
You know, just about everything gets filmed these days. There probably IS footage.........somewhere amongst the family and friends. Would love to see it

Desipura
25-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Love the article and love what Higgins had to say about the club.

Ghost Dog
25-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Far out...we are lucky to have him. WELCOME!

I'm a bit confused though. KPDs are gold. Can't understand how we got him so low.
They say he will be ready for next season...unbelievable coup...

LostDoggy
25-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Matty Boyd much said welcome to the club, let the hard work begin.

Love you Boydy.

The Giants settled on 11 of their allotted 12 teens, and then passed on Talia, with recruiter Neville Stibbard not sold on his field kicking.

As a result, every Cannons training session this season Talia arrived an hour early to hone his right foot, along with first-round picks Tom Sheridan (Fremantle) and Brandon Ellis (Richmond).

Good attitude. Let's hope he keeps that up.

Let's face it, he loves the Bulldogs so he's going to be loved right back. There's nothing better than seeing a Bulldog diehard play in the RW&B.

Greystache
25-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Great article. You best every draft, every year, how player x was a bargain, and how the club couldn't believe they were still available in the 7th round blah blah blah. But in this case I genuinely feel like we have picked up a bargain.

bulldogtragic
25-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Just like roughy, and The Hawk - get to see a doggies supporter become a doggies player.

bornadog
25-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Great article. You best every draft, every year, how player x was a bargain, and how the club couldn't believe they were still available in the 7th round blah blah blah. But in this case I genuinely feel like we have picked up a bargain.

Still can't believe we got him at pick 39:)

The Coon Dog
25-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Just like roughy, and The Hawk - get to see a doggies supporter become a doggies player.
Douggie followed the Kangas.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-11-2011, 08:02 PM

This.

I'm pretty excited about this kid.

Morris is not a great kick, but is fantastic at playing within his limits. That's really all Talia needs to do -- he doesn't have to be a playmaker. A good, solid stopper will do us fine.

Always great to read about players who are excited about coming to the club.

bulldogtragic
25-11-2011, 08:23 PM

I'll just stand in the corner and mind my own business. As you were :)

Remi Moses
25-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Marty Allison rates him which is high praise.
Looks like both lads we picked up with our first two picks have a good work ethic

w3design
25-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Love the article and love what Higgins had to say about the club.

Totally agree.:) I love it even i was jumping around the house last night when his name got called out .

chef
25-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Totally agree.:) I love it even i was jumping around the house last night when his name got called out .

So was I:).

w3design
25-11-2011, 09:48 PM

Thats right the Hawk loved Keith Greg .JOHNNO AND SMITHY followed the doggies:)

boydogs
25-11-2011, 10:03 PM
The Giants settled on 11 of their allotted 12 teens, and then passed on Talia, with recruiter Neville Stibbard not sold on his field kicking.

Why do so many players get excluded by their shortcomings, rather than picked on their strengths?

Ben Rutten, Darren Glass, Simon Prestigiacomo and Dale Morris couldn't kick 50 metres between them, but they are some of the best defenders of the last decade.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Still can't believe we got him at pick 39:)

The recommendation by Scott Wynd now coach at Assumption College having replaced the famous Ray Carroll was considered a key factor in Talia's recruitment. Michael is said to have a stronger physical approach to his game than older brother Daniel which should please coach McCartney who is demanding a far more ruthless approach to the Bulldogs attack on the ball in 2012. It is good to see some history being developed with Simon Garlick as CEO, Chris Grant, Director of Football, plus the recent recruitments of Liberatore, Wallis and now Harvey Steven's grandson in Talia. These are healthy signs going forward for the club.

ledge
26-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Marty Allison rates him which is high praise.
Looks like both lads we picked up with our first two picks have a good work ethic

Thats what our coach has been saying since he got here we are never going to pick up players without it while he is coach.

Remi Moses
26-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Good to see we're bringing in Footballers and not athletes.
Clay Smith and Michael Tallia will work on their kicking, whereas bringing in a great athlete and teaching him the nuances is a totally different matter.

Mantis
26-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Clay Smith and Michael Tallia will work on their kicking, whereas bringing in a great athlete and teaching him the nuances is a totally different matter.

Daniel Cross has been working on it for 12 years, is a manic trainer and still struggles.

Very rarely do you see players improve their kicking once they get in the system, you either have it or you don't.

EasternWest
26-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Daniel Cross has been working on it for 12 years, is a manic trainer and still struggles.

Very rarely do you see players improve their kicking once they get in the system, you either have it or you don't.

Do you think Cross is a "bad" kick though? I don't. He's not the best kick in terms of spotting people up, and they do sit in the air a bit, but he's generally pretty accurate.

The problem with Cross' kicking for mine is a twofold thing. It takes him forever to decide to kick, and by the time he does, the kick then can't afford to be a Daniel Cross floater.

anfo27
26-11-2011, 03:56 PM

I think Cross problem is mostly mental. I think he isn't that bad a kick when he actually decides to kick it but he avoids kicking it because it seems he doesn't rate himself as a kick. If Daniel could ever get over his mental demons on kicking he would improve dramatically. Hopefully Smith & Talia don't have the same mental hurdles to overcome.

boydogs
26-11-2011, 04:53 PM

Strange comment, Clay Smith is rated as an athlete from his beep test and Talia is athletic for a KPD. Not being able to kick well is a hallmark of athletes and not footballers.

Do you think Cross is a "bad" kick though? I don't. He's not the best kick in terms of spotting people up, and they do sit in the air a bit, but he's generally pretty accurate.

The problem with Cross' kicking for mine is a twofold thing. It takes him forever to decide to kick, and by the time he does, the kick then can't afford to be a Daniel Cross floater.

It's his wind-up when going for distance. I actually think he needs to work on his acceleration rather than kicking, if he can get moving at speed quickly then his distance would improve and time taken would reduce.

We know he can run all day, but he needs to be able to keep up with the Leigh Brown's of the world in a sprint.

azabob
26-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Strange comment, Clay Smith is rated as an athlete from his beep test and Talia is athletic for a KPD. Not being able to kick well is a hallmark of athletes and not footballers.

Smith gets the football though? He can't jump, isn't a speedster and doesn't set the world on fire with his athletic ability like a Wood or Mulligan. To me he is more footballer than athlete.

Would you say Cross is footballer or athlete first?

Ghost Dog
26-11-2011, 06:19 PM

Some good points but really, Splitting hairs. It's all part of getting the the job done:D.

chef
26-11-2011, 08:23 PM

While Dahlhaus has come on leaps and bounds in twelve months. He had the worst disposal efficiency in the under 18's in the year he got drafted.

boydogs
26-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Smith gets the football though? He can't jump, isn't a speedster and doesn't set the world on fire with his athletic ability like a Wood or Mulligan. To me he is more footballer than athlete.

Would you say Cross is footballer or athlete first?

Both Smith & Cross have athletic endurance and sub-par kicking. They are more Callan Ward than Ed Barlow, but I wouldn't use them as evidence we are picking pure footballers with all the skills instead of athletes that can run & jump.

GVGjr
26-11-2011, 10:22 PM
While Dahlhaus has come on leaps and bounds in twelve months. He had the worst disposal efficiency in the under 18's in the year he got drafted.

Nice stat but I think it was more to do with the way that the Falcons used him but it's also the reason why he didn't get selected at the National Draft.

Remi Moses
26-11-2011, 10:27 PM

On the flip side Stewart Loewe says Hello.

GVGjr
26-11-2011, 10:32 PM
On the flip side Stewart Loewe says Hello.

He didn't actually play in the midfield and have a couple of opponents putting pressure on him. Once he marked it he had a lot of time to prepare for his kick.
Lets not confuse improved set shots % to disposal efficiency in the midfield.

Remi Moses
26-11-2011, 10:38 PM
He didn't actually play in the midfield and have a couple of opponents putting pressure on him. Once he marked it he had a lot of time to prepare for his kick.
Lets not confuse improved set shots % to disposal efficiency in the midfield.

No pressure in set shot kicking ? I'm merely making the point that footballers can improve their skill set . Not saying for a minute that Smith has a leg like Luke Hodge or Mckenzie. Some here condemning a kid who hasn't played annoys me to be honest.

Remi Moses
26-11-2011, 10:53 PM
[QUOTE=gogriff;251482]Strange comment, Clay Smith is rated as an athlete from his beep test and Talia is athletic for a KPD. Not being able to kick well is a hallmark of athletes and not footballers.

I'm making the point that the Dogs have had a policy of picking up athlete project types under Clayton . Hardly a strange perception

GVGjr
26-11-2011, 11:06 PM
No pressure in set shot kicking ? I'm merely making the point that footballers can improve their skill set . Not saying for a minute that Smith has a leg like Luke Hodge or Mckenzie. Some here condemning a kid who hasn't played annoys me to be honest.

Where did I say that? It's just vastly different.

The big difference for the guy taking the set shot is he has plenty of time to compose himself. Your example of Loewe improving his kicking is also skewed by the fact that he was moved a lot closer to goal when big Tony moved north. He was never a good kick but his conversions improved because he was moved closer to goal. He got better he just didn't become good.

I've seen Cross use the ball efficiently during training sessions etc but it often desserts him when the pressure is on and especially when he has opponents right at him. By the way I still like him as a player but surely I can (we all can) acknowledge that he isn't a good kick without others throwing the stigma that someone has bagged him?

Regarding Smith, you're reading too much into what people are saying.
He isn't a pristine kick and that has been called out and he's hardly been bagged about it.
I think we should be placing a high emphasis on elite kicking skills and right at this moment Smith will have a lot of work to do before he is regarded as an elite kick.
I'm excited that Smith is in the side because he brings some excellent skills around the contested ball but if I challenge why the club chose that skill set over pace and skills surely it doesn't mean I'm bagging the player.

Sedat
26-11-2011, 11:50 PM
I'm excited that Smith is in the side because he brings some excellent skills around the contested ball but if I challenge why the club chose that skill set over pace and skills surely it doesn't mean I'm bagging the player.
Presumably our game plan under BMac is going to favour a high level of contests and stoppages, hence why ir appears that he favours the skills set that a Clay Smith has over some of the more athletic prospects. We do have Griffen, Cooney (when fit), and Tutt as potential designated 'outriders', so it isn't as if we are completely bereft of outside run and carry. Having said that, I definitely would have liked to see an athletic, pacy runner added to the mix.

I found it interesting that we hesitated for quite a while before selecting Talia. Normally Dalrympie doesn't hesitate for even a second before making his selections, so he must have been surprised that Talia drifted down to pick 39. I'm personally happy that we've added a noted one-on-one key defender to our list - there are dangerous key forwards in almost every team that requires the unique talents of a natural defender, which Talia appears to be.

Doggy
27-11-2011, 10:46 AM
I was speaking to my brother in law last night whose boys played with both Daniel and Michael at Greenvale. He said that Michael's kicking was atrocious but had improved dramatically over the last couple of years.

He also believes Michael is the better of the two.