PDA

View Full Version : 2006 draft

LostDoggy
11-09-2007, 06:34 PM
I just wanted to know everybody's thoughts on the players that we picked up in last years National Draft. Do you think we went for the right types of players, eg; josh hill?

GVGjr
11-09-2007, 06:52 PM
I just wanted to know everybody's thoughts on the players that we picked up in last years National Draft. Do you think we went for the right types of players, eg; josh hill?

After Everitt we went for quick athletic types in Stack, Hill and Lynch and then followed it up with selection of a developing athletic tall in O'Shea. The rookie draft also had Hughes, Harbrow and Pask.

Overall I think we were too focused on pace and would have preferred one more additional tall but time will tell if unearthed a couple of start players from the 2006 crop.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-09-2007, 07:32 PM

Initially I did question why we went for pace.. Overall though having seen Everitt,Lynch & Hill in action I am satisfied with the choices.
Like GVGJr though one more tall especially a ruck prospect would have in hindsight been a good thing.

Go_Dogs
11-09-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm still quite excited about what they could potentially offer us from next year onwards and look forward to watching them develop.

Bulldog Revolution
12-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Initially I did question why we went for pace.. Overall though having seen Everitt,Lynch & Hill in action I am satisfied with the choices.
Like GVGJr though one more tall especially a ruck prospect would have in hindsight been a good thing.

Yep - a ruck prospect would have been nice but its encouraging how much VFL senior footy some of the lightly built guys were able to play

Everitt, Lynch and Harbrow have the raw ability to break games apart if they work hard to improve. Hill did enough to debut at senior level, Stack looks a star in the making to me, whilst OShea could be the diamond in the rough full back.

LostDoggy
13-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Can O'shea play as a full back? what is his preferred position?
What type of player is brennan stack?

GVGjr
13-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Can O'shea play as a full back? what is his preferred position?
What type of player is brennan stack?

It's a bit hard to put O'Shea down as a FB at the moment but he does have a bit of size and physical play that could make him a monty for a position like that in the next few seasons.

Stack is a jumping jack and a nice mover. Needs to develop a defensive side to his game.

FrediKanoute
13-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Yep - a ruck prospect would have been nice but its encouraging how much VFL senior footy some of the lightly built guys were able to play

Were there any decent ruck prospects last year outside of Luenberger? I really thought that most clubs went for best avaialble rather than needs last year and that the 2007 crop of ruckmen were regarded as being much better.

Sedat
13-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Were there any decent ruck prospects last year outside of Luenberger? I really thought that most clubs went for best avaialble rather than needs last year and that the 2007 crop of ruckmen were regarded as being much better.
Renouf, Tippett and Goldstein all went in the 2nd round and beyond from memory. They were picked up by Hawthorn, Adelaide and North respectively, clubs who all have already healthy ruck divisions. Good forward planning by these clubs.

Sockeye Salmon
14-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Renouf, Tippett and Goldstein all went in the 2nd round and beyond from memory. They were picked up by Hawthorn, Adelaide and North respectively, clubs who all have already healthy ruck divisions. Good forward planning by these clubs.

Didn't Carlton take Hampson about pick 20, or was that the year before?

Go_Dogs
14-09-2007, 11:02 AM
That was last year too Scooter, good pick up. Lots of rucks went early. My man Sam Jacobs was picked up early in the rookie draft too, where I had hoped we'd pick him up.

westdog54
18-09-2007, 02:20 PM
It's a bit hard to put O'Shea down as a FB at the moment but he does have a bit of size and physical play that could make him a monty for a position like that in the next few seasons.

Stack is a jumping jack and a nice mover. Needs to develop a defensive side to his game.

The thing to remember about O'Shea is he was the second youngest to be taken in the draft. Only Ben Reid was youngeer.

It was made very clear that his selection was a project pick. To be frank I'm impressed he made it into the Werribee Seniors as quickly as he did. I wouldn't have been all that dissapointed if he'd been in the Werribee 2's for most of the year.

Late pick, bottom aged, good KP prospect, bit of size and athleticism about him, who does that sound like?:D

Sockeye Salmon
18-09-2007, 02:51 PM
The thing to remember about O'Shea is he was the second youngest to be taken in the draft. Only Ben Reid was youngeer.

It was made very clear that his selection was a project pick. To be frank I'm impressed he made it into the Werribee Seniors as quickly as he did. I wouldn't have been all that dissapointed if he'd been in the Werribee 2's for most of the year.

He did.

Late pick, bottom aged, good KP prospect, bit of size and athleticism about him, who does that sound like?:D

Wayde Skipper? Steven Tiller? Michael West?

Go_Dogs
18-09-2007, 05:16 PM
He did.

Wayde Skipper? Steven Tiller? Michael West?

Did any of those lads play Werribee 1's in their first years? Making the bests in that team a few times? I think we should all be pretty happy with O'Shea's first season.

Sockeye Salmon
18-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Did any of those lads play Werribee 1's in their first years? Making the bests in that team a few times? I think we should all be pretty happy with O'Shea's first season.

Sorry, M23. I was being a smartarse. I reckon I know the bottom-aged, low draft pick to which you were referring.

O'Shea should be pretty happy with his first season. Not only did he crack a game in the firsts he made the best players as well.

The Underdog
19-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Sorry, M23. I was being a smartarse. I reckon I know the bottom-aged, low draft pick to which you were referring.

O'Shea should be pretty happy with his first season. Not only did he crack a game in the firsts he made the best players as well.

It took Chris Grant 18 years to make the Werribee 1sts ;)

Dry Rot
20-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Re O'Shea IIRC was recruited as forward but I've read he's been playing back this year.

Which end will he end up?

southerncross
20-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Re O'Shea IIRC was recruited as forward but I've read he's been playing back this year.

Which end will he end up?

From all reports he is better suited as a backman but long term he could possibly move forward

Bulldog Revolution
20-09-2007, 09:42 PM
From all reports he is better suited as a backman but long term he could possibly move forward

The scouting reports on O'Shea seem to be someone that Dry Rot would love; big, physical athletic and good at making contests, and smashing packs and guys.

Is that a reasonable take SC?

Dry Rot
20-09-2007, 10:11 PM
I've also read reports of suicidal courage.

Like the sound of him.

southerncross
20-09-2007, 10:21 PM
The scouting reports on O'Shea seem to be someone that Dry Rot would love; big, physical athletic and good at making contests, and smashing packs and guys.

Is that a reasonable take SC?

I think so. He needs to add some weight but he does play a spirited style. He's very raw but made solid progress. He's got a terrific spring.

The Coon Dog
20-09-2007, 11:30 PM
I think so. He needs to add some weight but he does play a spirited style. He's very raw but made solid progress. He's got a terrific spring.

I had a chat with Rocket earlier in the year & the term 'reckless' was used to describe the way Paul O'Shea threw his body into contests.

Twodogs
21-09-2007, 12:00 AM
I had a chat with Rocket earlier in the year & the term 'reckless' was used to describe the way Paul O'Shea threw his body into contests.

Crazy brave is the description I heard.

Dry Rot
21-09-2007, 12:33 AM
The more I hear about him, the more I like him.

Reckon he'll get any Dogs games in 2008?

Bulldog Revolution
21-09-2007, 08:07 AM
The more I hear about him, the more I like him.

Reckon he'll get any Dogs games in 2008?

Yep he sounds terrific

I think you could be pretty confident he will get a taste

dog town
21-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Have not seen him yet myself. It's fantastic that it sounds like he has a bit of bottle and will throw himself in but he will need more than that. David Bourke was one of the bravest footballers I have seen but he couldn't make a career at the top level and their are some absolute madmen getting around in the country leagues who will never get a sniff at the top level.

What is he like in the air? What sort of frame has he got on him? I have images of a spindly kid trying throw himself in harms way. Does he move and run well?

Sockeye Salmon
21-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Have not seen him yet myself. It's fantastic that it sounds like he has a bit of bottle and will throw himself in but he will need more than that. David Bourke was one of the bravest footballers I have seen but he couldn't make a career at the top level and their are some absolute madmen getting around in the country leagues who will never get a sniff at the top level.

What is he like in the air? What sort of frame has he got on him? I have images of a spindly kid trying throw himself in harms way. Does he move and run well?

Built like the proverbial brick outhouse.

dog town
21-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Built like the proverbial brick outhouse. I just got a warm tingly feeling. I had visions of David Bourke or Josh Thurgood. Whats holding him back then at this stage?

Twodogs
21-09-2007, 10:40 AM
I just got a warm tingly feeling. I had visions of David Bourke or Josh Thurgood. Whats holding him back then at this stage?

Age and lack of experience I would guess.

Bulldog Revolution
21-09-2007, 11:09 AM

Typical big queensland kid - carved out of stone

Go_Dogs
21-09-2007, 11:31 AM
He'll certainly be aiming for a handful of games this coming season I'd say.

Mantis
21-09-2007, 02:41 PM

Not quite, still has a lot of filling out to do, but has a very big frame. Might have to get him on the Tom Williams hand winch over the pre-season, saw one at Bunnings the other day only $29.95, what a steal.

Twodogs
21-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Not quite, still has a lot of filling out to do, but has a very big frame. Might have to get him on the Tom Williams hand winch over the pre-season, saw one at Bunnings the other day only $29.95, what a steal.

A proper exercise one? Where?

Mantis
21-09-2007, 02:51 PM
A proper exercise one? Where?

That part was untrue, made for a good story though.. :D

Twodogs
21-09-2007, 02:54 PM
That part was untrue, made for a good story though.. :D

It got me.

The Coon Dog
21-09-2007, 03:00 PM
It got me.
Oops, you're shoes untied.....don't be so gullible McFly!

I was surprised when they took the word 'gullible' out of the dictionary. :eek:

MrMahatma
21-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Oshea definitely sounds like a great prospect, and I a big fearless backman is pretty much as good as it gets as far as I'm concerned.

Hit em... hard. Do it!

LostDoggy
21-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Oshea definitely sounds like a great prospect, and I a big fearless backman is pretty much as good as it gets as far as I'm concerned.

Hit em... hard. Do it!

If he can stay injury free given his physical style we might see him in the seniors next year.

Mofra
22-09-2007, 05:09 PM
If he can stay injury free given his physical style we might see him in the seniors next year.

A few of the guys are impressed with his courage at least. "Suicidal" was used to describe his courage by one prominent senior player. Don't need that much talent if you have alot of ticker: see file under Morris, D.