PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Draft

ledge
28-11-2011, 01:18 PM
I am very nieve to this draft how does it work,is it all players who didnt get picked up in ND, when is it and do we have any names we are interested in
Can anyone help with the rules on this?

bornadog
28-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Error - sorry wrong year

Dry Rot
28-11-2011, 02:31 PM
How come we get a later pick than 4 finalists?

Remi Moses
28-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Why isn't it in ladder order?

The Coon Dog
28-11-2011, 02:39 PM
I think you'll find that the list supplied by bornadog was for last years Rookie Draft.

stefoid
28-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Thats last years.

ledge
28-11-2011, 02:48 PM
I see its December 13th

bulldogsman
28-11-2011, 03:23 PM
It should go something like this

Pre Season draft
1. GWS
2. Port Adelaide
3. Richmond
4. Fremantle
5. GWS
6. GWS
7. GWS
8. GWS
9. GWS

Rookie draft - which follows directly after the pre season draft.

1 GWS
2 Gold Coast
3 Port Adelaide
4. Brisbane
5 Adelaide
6 Melbourne
7 Richmond
8 Fremantle
9 Western Bulldogs
10 North Melbourne
11 Essendon
12 St Kilda
13 Sydney
14 Carlton
15 West Coast
16 Hawthorn
17 Collingwood
18 Geelong

We have picks 9, 27, 45, 63 and 81.

You can pick up players from anywhere (as long as they nominate) and those that were overlooked in the main draft.

jazzadogs
28-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Interesting that we haven't invited anyone down to train with us prior to the rookie draft. 7 more clubs have applied to have players train with them.

I'd say that we either don't have anyone specific in mind, or we feel that we already know everything we need to know about the people we are targetting.

chef
28-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Hopefully we go a ruck(probably Daniel Bass), another KPD(one of the Frost's preferable Jack) and the rest midfielders/flankers.

GVGjr
28-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Hopefully we go a ruck(probably Daniel Bass), another KPD(one of the Frost's preferable Jack) and the rest midfielders/flankers.

Have you dropped off Sam? I thought you wanted him at #17 of the ND

the banker
28-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Interesting that we haven't invited anyone down to train with us prior to the rookie draft. 7 more clubs have applied to have players train with them.

I'd say that we either don't have anyone specific in mind, or we feel that we already know everything we need to know about the people we are targetting.

Read that we had invited Mark austin from Carlton

AndrewP6
28-11-2011, 07:20 PM
Read that we had invited Mark austin from Carlton

Yep, he's on the 'permission to train' list:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/126619/default.aspx

chef
28-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Have you dropped off Sam? I thought you wanted him at #17 of the ND

I would be happy to add either Frost to our list.

I wanted a KPD at 17, either Schade, McInnes, Talia or Frost(in that order). But I had to wait until 39, which I'm not fussed about as I'm excited to have Smith on our list.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-11-2011, 08:32 PM
No point going for a ruck if they are ordinary prospects -- which apparently they are.

Dalgleish would be my first target.

bornadog
28-11-2011, 09:08 PM
How come we get a later pick than 4 finalists?

I think you'll find that the list supplied by bornadog was for last years Rookie Draft.

Thats last years.

yes sorry about that, saw 2011 and thought that was it. Can't find the same for this year on the AFL site

Sockeye Salmon
28-11-2011, 09:09 PM
No point going for a ruck if they are ordinary prospects -- which apparently they are.

Dalgleish would be my first target.

And if Minson goes down with a long term injury?

We need a mature ruck, Daniel Currie or similar.

bornadog
28-11-2011, 09:11 PM

Agree, we need to rookie a ruck of some sort.

GVGjr
28-11-2011, 09:20 PM

Given the state of our list we then have to go with Mulligan or Markovic.
We could have had a look at Setanta who would have covered that position but we obviously didn't want someone with experience.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-11-2011, 09:38 PM

Even if they are another Cameron Cloke, Bryan or worse (dating back) Dooley?

No point getting a hack ruckman for the sake of getting a ruckman, and missing out on a good small.

Sockeye Salmon
28-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Even if they are another Cameron Cloke, Bryan or worse (dating back) Dooley?

No point getting a hack ruckman for the sake of getting a ruckman, and missing out on a good small.

We're not sacrificing a good small, we're sacrificing a rookie pick. If there's a small we're interested in we have 4 other picks to take him.

Bass, Currie, even Mark Blake are better options than Mulligan.

Mulligan is putrid in his best position let alone the position he hates.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-11-2011, 10:14 PM
We're not sacrificing a good small, we're sacrificing a rookie pick. If there's a small we're interested in we have 4 other picks to take him.

Mulligan is putrid in his best position let alone the position he hates.

There's a reason why those players were delisted. I'd rather we draft talent with the potential to still be on the list after two years. Those three mentioned wouldn't -- matue age or not. We aren't going to be in flag contention next year -- worry about picking up a quality ruck in next year's draft (or trade).

Filling gaps with hacks is shooting ourselves in the foot IMO. Especially when we have so many other areas to address.

GVGjr
28-11-2011, 10:15 PM

Blakes retired hasn't he?

Dancin' Douggy
28-11-2011, 10:18 PM

With all due respect Sockeye, no we don't.
If Minson goes down we play Roughhead and Cordy.
And if they're still raw and not up to it, even better.
And if they go down, play Tutt in the ruck.
Demetriou may even call it a 'stroke of genius'.

I can't stand the idea of treading water just to stay mid-table.
Sink or swim.
Rookie players who have the potential to be AFL players,
not 'back up in case of injury' types.
If Roughhead and Cordy get smashed in the ruck, GOOD.

Our compensation pick increases in value and they both get a $#%@ing wake up call.
Maybe the year after, who knows? They just may realise what it takes, what's required at this level.

Sockeye Salmon
29-11-2011, 12:37 AM
With all due respect Sockeye, no we don't.
If Minson goes down we play Roughhead and Cordy.
And if they're still raw and not up to it, even better.
And if they go down, play Tutt in the ruck.
Demetriou may even call it a 'stroke of genius'.

I can't stand the idea of treading water just to stay mid-table.
Sink or swim.
Rookie players who have the potential to be AFL players,
not 'back up in case of injury' types.
If Roughhead and Cordy get smashed in the ruck, GOOD.

Our compensation pick increases in value and they both get a $#%@ing wake up call.
Maybe the year after, who knows? They just may realise what it takes, what's required at this level.

Or Aaron Sandilands breaks Cordy in two.

Even Roughead's body couldn't cope with rucking week in week out at AFL level, Cordy would be destroyed.

This throw them in, sink or swim bullshit will do nothing more than destroy their confidence at best, destroy their body at worst.

Happy Days
29-11-2011, 12:45 AM

Even Roughead's body couldn't cope with rucking week in week out at AFL level, Cordy would be destroyed.

This throw them in, sink or swim bullshit will do nothing more than destroy their confidence at best, destroy their body at worst.

+1.

There's developing players, and then there's breaking players. The ruck is a really physical position with really, really big dudes playing it; no one can look at Ayce or Roughy (with his dicky shoulders) and say that they are ready to bear that load full time.

Plus I really don't get how having someone behind Cordy/Roughead in line for a game hinders their development. And didn't Currie win the NEAFL B&F having only played 14 or so games? Not exactly a total crab.

ledge
29-11-2011, 12:48 AM

Dont you think after a few years at the club he should be ready by now, I understand Cordy has lighter body issues but Roughy should be ready now.

Greystache
29-11-2011, 12:50 AM
Blakes retired hasn't he?

He said he retired because he believed no one was going to pick him up, I believe if any club showed the slightest interest he couldn't sign quick enough.

Sockeye Salmon
29-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Dont you think after a few years at the club he should be ready by now, I understand Cordy has lighter body issues but Roughy should be ready now.

Perhaps he should but he has had a shoulder reconstruction every 8 weeks since he arrived at the club.

Sockeye Salmon
29-11-2011, 12:52 AM
For the record, I was only joking about Blake, just pointing out he would be a better ruck option than Mulligan.

ledge
29-11-2011, 01:02 AM
Perhaps he should but he has had a shoulder reconstruction every 8 weeks since he arrived at the club.

A good friend of Reids then:D

Greystache
29-11-2011, 01:21 AM
For the record, I was only joking about Blake, just pointing out he would be a better ruck option than Mulligan.

Would he not be worth picking up as a mature rookie back up over other VFL players? While mediocre at best, he's proven he can compete at the level.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-11-2011, 01:23 AM
Might as well have kept Barlow if we were going to draft a hack ruck in a rookie draft. At least Barlow would contribute more around the ground than a Currie or Bass etc.

If we really wanted cover (for a few areas), we should have drafted or traded for Setanta. We didn't. If we go ahead and rookie a 'back up' for a year, then it shows how amateur we are.

GVGjr
29-11-2011, 06:57 AM
He said he retired because he believed no one was going to pick him up, I believe if any club showed the slightest interest he couldn't sign quick enough.

I don't think he would be interested in a rookie spot

GVGjr
29-11-2011, 07:02 AM
The problem of our dwindling rucks stocks have been a few years in the making.
I guess we will try and get a youngster and hope that Minson and Roughead have a healthy season. I like the idea of getting someone with experience but none of the names being mentioned would add much value.

Raw Toast
29-11-2011, 09:02 AM
There's a reason why those players were delisted. I'd rather we draft talent with the potential to still be on the list after two years. Those three mentioned wouldn't -- matue age or not. We aren't going to be in flag contention next year -- worry about picking up a quality ruck in next year's draft (or trade).

Filling gaps with hacks is shooting ourselves in the foot IMO. Especially when we have so many other areas to address.

Have you read the stuff on moneyball - how do you account for the success of the Swans? The rookie draft is a place where youth should be balanced by some relative experience, and the ruck is generally a place where prospects take awhile to develop - see Dean Cox and Aaron Sandilands for example.

Exactly. Why break the bodies of potentially good to very good rucks? If Minson goes down, we need someone who can bear some of the load, and the rookie draft is an ideal place to pick them.

always right
29-11-2011, 09:04 AM
I'll be really interested to see if Roughead puts on any size this pre-season. McCartney wants gymn animals so it will be interesting to see if Roughy's shoulders can stand up to all the weight work. God knows he needs to get stronger.

Desipura
29-11-2011, 09:40 AM

Is there any need for this? Mods, is this type of response allowed?

LostDoggy
29-11-2011, 10:01 AM

What wrong with it? It's not directed to anyone in particular.

Mofra
29-11-2011, 10:29 AM
There's a reason why those players were delisted.
There is - in Currie's case, he was behind Mumford, Seaby, White and the year before, Jolly. All those blokes can ruck a bit - before we even consider Goodes as a back up ruckman.

Not a fan of the other mature guys mentioned, but Currie does interest me.

stefoid
29-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Best available in the rookie draft.

If we must go for a ruck purely for injury depth, take one who is a known quantity - 25+ and ready to step in and do a job if required.

Like the ruck version of marcovic, but older because they take longer.

GVGjr
29-11-2011, 06:34 PM

To be honest, I don't see too much of a problem with it.
It's not directed at anyone,

LostDoggy
30-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Andrew Lovett anyone?

Cyberdoggie
30-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Geelong felt it necessary to draft Orren Stephenson this year from Nth Ballarat,
I'm not suggesting we do what the Jones's are doing but they are obviously concerned for the rucking depths and durability in their squad, and don't mind drafting a player in the twilight of his career despite never playing an AFL game before.

bulldogtragic
30-11-2011, 02:07 PM
cough* Peter Street *cough

stefoid
30-11-2011, 03:38 PM
cough* Peter Street *cough

Peter Street wasnt a bad idea as a backup ruck, we just massively, massively, massively overpaid.

edit: having said that, if you were ever going to overpay for a trade, the 2003 draft year was the year to do it. Chances of getting a player who would have played as many games of AFL as street did for pick #20 in 2003? very low.

So either we were extremely lucky or extremely smart. :)

reedit - ok, one thing I missed about 2003.... The crows picked up Ben Hudson for pick 58. yeah.

stefoid
01-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Well, just looking at a few possible rookies who fit the BMac criteria: I guess it depends on whether we want to continue on his theme or pick players to compliment the ones we have (i.e. good kicks and a bit of pace)

Alex Woodward
DOB 11/6/93 Ht 174.5 Wt 80

Clearances these days are hugely important to winning football games and Woodward is one of the better extractors available this year. He lead the TAC in contested possessions (15 per game) and clearances (7 per game) and showed that he could do the same at the Champs where he averaged 10 contested possessions per game. There are a few things which need work with his game but being able to win clearances should get him drafted.

The Combine was a bit of a mixed bag for Woodward. It was not a surprise when he measured short of his listed 179cm height but measuring almost 5cm below his listed height did not help him and puts him firmly into the height of guys who struggle to be drafted. On the positive side though he tested really well in sprints especially in the 20m where he did a great time of 2.89 which was 7th overall. Woodward looks quickish on the park but 2.89 would have surprised quite a few and caused a few to take another look at him. His beep test was solid going over 14 but for some reason his 3km time was very poor. Something might have happened there that I don't know about but take it as a given he will need to up his endurance base when he gets into the AFL.

Woodward is a short powerfully built guy but he is a pretty smooth mover around the ground. He does not get a huge amount of uncontested ball and he needs to improve his work without the ball but this might come as his endurance base improves. What he has done which adds to his attractiveness as a draft prospect is make himself into a small forward prospect. He reminds me a lot of Christensen from Geelong who is similar in height and ball winning ability. Like Christensen I could easily see Woodward starting up forward before moving into middle as he gets experience and builds his engine.

Woodward is a very good mark for his size and he judges the ball very well in the air. He uses his body well and jumps at the ball strongly. He is also strong around the ball and can hold the man off the ball well. He is not very tricky when he gets the ball but he is a reasonable finisher when he gets the chance. His set shot is well balanced but I would not say his accuracy is great.

Through the middle of the ground he is a handball first and second and then consider kicking before handballing again type of player. When he does kick it’s usually a short to medium distance and he does not often look downfield. He is not the most accurate kick but again his style largely seems okay. His midfield work is often compared to Luke Ball and this is someone to think of when you want to consider what his kicking is like. Like Ball though his onball work is top shelf. He burrows into the bottom of packs and chases the ball with great tenacity. He says he likes to hit the ball with movement but more often than not he is camped at the feet of the rucks and has to extract it from there. He is very good at getting the ball free from the contest by hand although it’s not always to the most attacking option. His hands are pretty quick and he clears it out quickly.

When he doesn't get the ball himself he works hard to tackle the opposition player or block for his own player. He is a very good tackler and tackles with force concentrating more on hitting the opposition rather than just wrapping up ball. He is a very team oriented player who does all the little 1%ers that coaches love and are often overlooked by supporters. He is good defensively in contested situations but in the open field he needs some work and again I think as his endurance base improves so should this aspect of his game. He is prepared to work hard and as he builds his engine he could start up forward as a defensive forward before moving to the middle.

His TAC manager described him as "one of the more outstanding young men that I have met and has been a pleasure to have worked with". Some of these young blokes have a pretty inflated opinion of themselves and being a good guy is a point of distinction that can only help him get picked up.

John McKenzie
DOB 3/6/93 Ht 177 Wt 82

Honestly I am having trouble working out why there has not been more love for McKenzie. The Taswegian was the Div 2 Player of the Champs this year and was selected as an All Australian. He picked up 21 possessions per game and was the Capt of the Tasmanian team that won the Div 2 title. I often hear of athleticism concerns but then he went to State Screening and performed very well which should have dispelled most of those worries.

There is a school of thought that he is a bit short but he measured in at 177 and is basically the same height as Adams and Nelson and has 5cms on Devon Smith. He is a footballer first and foremost but I think he has shown at the State Screening that he also has the athleticism to compete at AFL level. Pace was a concern with him but he managed a very respectable 3.02 which was better than I expected. I thought he might struggle there. In the beep he managed an elite 15.15 which shows he definitely has the ability to get to contests in the AFL and his agility score of 8.30 was also very good compared to those he will be competing with for a draft spot. He also showed a nice running jump which was probably not as relevant for the position he will play at AFL level but it again reinforces that he has been substantially undersold as an athlete.

On the park McKenzie is a hard nosed inside midfielder who is also a more than capable small forward. He has a good nose for the ball and good clean hands. He works well in the phone box and makes good decisions under pressure. Up forward he shows good goal sense and crumbing ability. This is a little hard to explain but in close I really like his first step. He reacts very quickly in most situations and uses a long first step to clear his defender if he has the ball or to shut down the ball carrier if he doesn’t. That first step is dynamite for him and really allows him to do a lot of good work.

Around the ground he is a hard worker and has solid skills. He does not have a lot of X factor about him but he covers a lot of ground and gut runs well. He is already mature in the body and looks like he could easily step into AFL next year. On the field he is a leader who not only leads by example but also directs traffic around the ground. He seems to have a very good sense of what is happening and what he and his teammates should be doing. He looks like an onfield coach at times. He also works well for his teammates with blocking and tackles pretty well in close.

I have no doubts if McKenzie was from Victoria or WA he would be getting a lot of attention and be being talked up as a second rounder probably. As it is I think he presents as a very good bargain later in the draft. I lot less well credentialed guys will be taken ahead of him. McKenzie I think will not disappoint the team who picks him up.

Josh Waldhuter (SA - Mid)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 15/03/1993
Recruited from: Central District
Style: Patrick Dangerfield
Player comparison:
Range: 30-60
Profile: Has been good over the past two or three years at U18 level for SA. This year seemed to get overshadowed by the efforts of Grigg. Probably didn’t quite get the numbers I was hoping he would get but still is among the better midfielders in this year’s draft. Physically very mature and ready to play now. Strong tackler and gives those multiple efforts. Attack on the ball is absolute insanity and is really unrivalled in this regard. Has nice penetrating kick. Speed good also very good for an inside player. The criticism with Waldhuter is that he probably doesn’t get enough of it for my liking, but with greater inside minutes this should change. Also would like to see him improve by hand because sometimes he possibly isn’t as precise as I’d like him to be.

bulldogtragic
01-12-2011, 06:52 PM
???

From the AFL website:

Name: Sam Frost
Club: Sandringham Dragons, Victoria
Date of birth: 28/08/93
Height: 194cm
Weight: 84kg
Draft range: 25-35

NAB AFL Draft Combine: Frost picked up a hip injury in the TAC Cup Grand Final and was unable to take part in any physical testing at this year's combine.

Jason Phelan says: Frost is an intriguing draft prospect. Given his volleyball background and athleticism, he has plenty of upside and is already capable of some eye-catching displays in a key defensive post. Frost provided a tantalising glimpse of the future when playing for Vic Metro against Vic Country at Etihad Stadium - showing courage to gather the ball in traffic, then burstiong away from the pack and delivering by foot to a teammate further afield. He'll need to continue to work on his kicking, but Frost is a real diamond in the rough.

Kevin Sheahan says: Frost averaged 14 disposals at the national U18 championships. A hard runner who loves to back himself, he is very good overhead and has a huge leap. From Wesley College.

In his own words: I'm a competitive, athletic player. I can play forward, back and ruck and like to run and carry.

bulldogtragic
01-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Peter Street wasnt a bad idea as a backup ruck, we just massively, massively, massively overpaid.

edit: having said that, if you were ever going to overpay for a trade, the 2003 draft year was the year to do it. Chances of getting a player who would have played as many games of AFL as street did for pick #20 in 2003? very low.

So either we were extremely lucky or extremely smart. :)

reedit - ok, one thing I missed about 2003.... The crows picked up Ben Hudson for pick 58. yeah.
So, we overpaid, is that what you are saying? :)

GVGjr
01-12-2011, 07:24 PM
We should be looking at Jackson Coleman as a rookie.

bulldogtragic
01-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Do tell...

azabob
01-12-2011, 07:51 PM

Do tell...

What role do you see him playing GVGjr? Is he tall enough / mobile enough / big enough for KPP or ruck?

I know he decided very late to chose footy over cricket.

GVGjr
01-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Do tell...

Son of Glenn. 196cm forward ruckman who only committed to his football at the start of the year after a promising cricket career. Good mobility and plenty of upside. Played at Oakliegh this year.

chef
01-12-2011, 08:32 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/port-money-troubles-leave-davis-hanging-20111130-1o75j.html#ixzz1fEGVy4XY

By the sounds of this GWS have the first 5 picks.

w3design
01-12-2011, 09:30 PM

Yes please.

Sockeye Salmon
01-12-2011, 09:58 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/port-money-troubles-leave-davis-hanging-20111130-1o75j.html#ixzz1fEGVy4XY

By the sounds of this GWS have the first 5 picks.

I don't think that's right.

They have pick 1, certainly, but after that their 2nd pick is in the 2nd round, after everyone else who wants a pick has had one.

Desipura
02-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Unless the club do a total backflip, this guy will not be picked up by us as he is not rated as a player.

GVGjr
02-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Unless the club do a total backflip, this guy will not be picked up by us as he is not rated as a player.

I think there is a bit to work with and he's an ideal rookie chance. I think you might be right with the clubs views on him though.

LostDoggy
08-12-2011, 09:39 AM
So we've asked permission to have Jordan Jones (Ex-West Coast Pick #52 2008 Draft) train with us.

Date of birth: 29/6/90
Height: 189cm
Weight: 86kg
Club: Geelong Falcons

Bio: Jordan Jones is a tall defender who is strong overhead and possesses a good leap. He attacks the contest, is agile for his size and has been used in the midfield. He represented Vic Country in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

Jason McCartney says: Jordan was the centre half-back for the Vic Country side and the games I saw him in he was a solid contributor who was very good in one-on-one situations. He provides a lot of rebound and wins the contested footy well in a marking situation. He's not a defender who will just try and nullify an opponent – he is able to win the footy and run off and create.

LostDoggy
08-12-2011, 10:06 AM
So we've asked permission to have Jordan Jones (Ex-West Coast Pick #52 2008 Draft) train with us.
Height: 189cm
Bio: Jordan Jones is a tall defender

Under 190cm is that tall in afl these days?

EasternWest
08-12-2011, 10:16 AM

I agree with you. It's amazing that 6-2, 6-3 is no longer tall.

Sockeye Salmon
08-12-2011, 12:29 PM

He was playing HBF and this year played as a midfielder for Peel. Got some decent numbers.

The Coon Dog
08-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Here are all clubs puck:

ROOKIE DRAFT PICKS

Adelaide - 5, 23, 41, 58, 73, 83, 89.

Brisbane Lions - 4, 22, 40, 57

Carlton - 14, 32, 50, 67.

Collingwood - 17, 35, 53, 70, 81, 87.

Essendon - 11, 29, 47, 64, 78, 85.

Fremantle - 8, 26, 44, 61, 75.

Geelong - 18, 36, 54.

Gold Coast - 2, 20, 38, 56, 72, 82, 88, 92, 94.

GWS - 1, 19, 37, 55, 71.

Hawthorn - 16, 34, 52, 69.

Melbourne - 6, 24, 42, 59.

North Melbourne - 10, 28, 46, 63, 77.

Port Adelaide - 3, 21, 39.

Richmond - 7, 25, 43, 60, 74, 84, 90.

St Kilda - 12, 30, 48, 65, 79.

Sydney - 13, 31, 49, 66, 80, 86, 91, 93, 95.

West Coast - 15, 33, 51, 68.

Western Bulldogs - 9, 27, 45, 62, 76.

bornadog
08-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Here are all clubs puck:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/images-1.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist:D

AndrewP6
08-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Here are all clubs puck:

No, here are all clubs puck(s) ;)
http://29sports.com/store/images/pucks/kcollection.jpg

Dry Rot
08-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Here are all clubs puck:

ROOKIE DRAFT PICKS

Thanks. Will we be using all of them?

bornadog
09-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks. Will we be using all of them?

According to BMac the other night, yes. He mentioned in his speech at the social club function we would have 6 rookies.

BulldogBelle
09-12-2011, 10:00 AM
So 5 picks in the rookie draft and 1 in the PSD?

ROOKIE DRAFT PICKS

bulldogsman
09-12-2011, 10:14 AM
According to BMac the other night, yes. He mentioned in his speech at the social club function we would have 6 rookies.

Pretty sure he meant 5 rookies, with one in the PSD. We don't have 6 vacant rookie spots.

strebla
09-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Pretty sure he meant 5 rookies, with one in the PSD. We don't have 6 vacant rookie spots.

I think you misunderstood we will pick 5 rookies wich will make 6 on our books in total.

bulldogsman
09-12-2011, 06:03 PM
I think you misunderstood we will pick 5 rookies wich will make 6 on our books in total.

Gotcha :)

Sockeye Salmon
10-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Hey Mike,

Can this kid play?

Pick # 102. St Kilda. Mitchell Leyendekkers. Peel. Ruckman. 05.10.92

This kid is a smokie that I believe someone has been trying to hide or / at the very least give minimal exposure too. He has only played two WAFL games 1 Colts in round 22 : Was named in Peel's best where he had 9 disposals, 29 ruck knocks and slid forward to kick 2 goals. The following week in round 23 he made his League debut had 10 possessions and 15 ruck knocks.

Then he vanished off the scene as hastily as he had appeared.

Playing the two games in the WAFL he therefore became eligable to nominate for the 2011 draft. Prior to that he was playing in the country for Harvey Brunswick.

I have not seen him play as I missed his debut against Claremont. He has been described to me as a powerful young kid around the 200 cm range and in the mid 90 kg mark. Good ruckman that can take a strong overhead mark , also a capable goal scorer. His appearances were seemingly overlooked as he came on the scene as the same time as Waylon Manson, who captured all the attention.

mjp
10-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Yes. I was quite surprised that he wasn't drafted - he only came and played for Peel on Sydney's request.

stefoid
12-12-2011, 11:08 AM
A ruckman who is a good mark? As long as he has two arms, two legs and one head, Im sold.

bornadog
12-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Consolation Prize -by Emma Quayle (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/consolation-prize-20111211-1opwi.html)

For those overlooked in last month's draft, tomorrows rookie and pre-season drafts offers a second chance. The Age's draft expert, Emma Quayle, highlights the likely prospects.

LAUCHLAN DALGLEISH
Midfielder, 184cm, 76kg
From North Ballarat Rebels
Dalgleish won the 120-metre Terang Gift in 12.25 seconds three days after missing out in the national draft. Starred at the draft combine after five weeks off with a punctured lung, finishing top five in the clean hands test, the agility run, the 20-metre sprint and the repeat sprint test. A club should choose him in the hope that his running ability becomes even more damaging.

MYLES BOLGER
Ruckman, 202cm, 95kg
From South Fremantle

Myles Bolger of South Fremantle. Photo: Mal Fairclough
Only three young ruckmen — Billy Longer (No. 8), Tom Downie (No. 56) and Corey Gault (No. 65) — were drafted, with queries on Bolger’s kicking and ability to impact on games by taking marks seeing him slip through. He’s missed a lot of football with a foot injury ruling him out for all of last year and disrupting his preparation for the season just gone. He moves well and has a competitive streak. Given more time, he’s one who could surprise.

FLETCHER ROBERTS
Forward, 193cm, 84kg
From Sandringham Dragons
Roberts was in the mix for a few clubs on draft day, and may be gone before the rookie draft, with the Western Bulldogs one of the interested parties. He was one of many talls overlooked, with clubs grabbing those who had been consistently competitive. In draft combine testing Roberts was a just bit behind some of the others in speed, agility and endurance. That said, on his day he took hold of games, never more so than in the TAC Cup grand final when he kicked three goals in a 21-possession game. There’s plenty to work with here — he’ll just need some time.

SHANE NELSON
Midfielder, 178cm, 78kg
From West Perth
Nelson did some nice things as a link-up midfielder this year, and can slide through traffic and get away with pace. What probably had him slip through the national draft was his kicking. While he did well in draft combine testing, his disposal can get a bit scrappy under pressure and lacks penetration. He gets to contests, can win the ball and kicks goals. He’ll surely get a chance as a rookie.

JULIAN DOBOSZ
Forward, 190cm, 82kg
From North Hobart
Dobosz, a full-forward, is reasonably new to football, having played cricket. He kicked a lot of goals for North Hobart at the start of last season, then again for the Tasmanian under-18 team. He relied a lot on his nous around goal rather than leading and marking. Whether he has the pace to play this way against more agile opponents at AFL level is the question, particularly given he’s an in-between size.

JAI SHEAHAN
Forward, 195cm, 82kg
From Geelong Falcons
Sheahan is another tall who was overlooked for those who played with a little more urgency, and have a burst of speed. But he improved as last season unfolded, can certainly grab a mark and can kick, which should get him his chance.

ANDREW BOSELEY
Defender, 192cm, 75kg
From Geelong Falcons
Boseley played for the Falcons as a 19-year-old key defender this year, and was eye-catching for the way he would fly in to make a well-timed spoil, gather the ball and sprint away. His challenge is to polish up his skills, but he has a strong competitive streak that makes him ideal rookie draft material, particularly given he played out the season with a shoulder injury.

SAM FROST
Defender, 194cm, 94kg
From Sandringham Dragons
Frost was in the mix for a few clubs at the national draft, but slipped through. He was one of the more athletic players available, yet having only recently decided to focus on football instead of basketball, his game sense was less developed than some of the “safer” draft picks. At times he looked incredibly exciting and at other times you weren’t sure what he’d do next, but he’s good enough to play AFL.

JACK CRISP
Half-back/half-forward, 190cm, 83kg
From Murray Bushrangers
Crisp’s ability to read the ball across the fl anks and take off with it is his biggest asset. His speed and kicking were the most obvious reason he didn’t hear his name called as, at times during the national carnival, his accuracy was below 40 per cent, although he did well in the draft combine testing. But he has genuine smarts and tackles well.

NICK MURPHY
Forward, 193cm, 81kg
From Oakleigh Chargers
Inconsistency and work rate probably cost Murphy, who would dominate a game for a quarter or a half, then fade out. But he is a natural forward who knows where to lead and how to manoeuvre himself into marking positions. He has definite AFL potential if he can become more consistent.

Bulldog Revolution
12-12-2011, 02:59 PM
And what do our TAC cup watchers think of our being linked to Fletcher Roberts?

Desipura
12-12-2011, 06:04 PM
We will pick up a tall with our pick tomorrow in the preseason draft, Fletcher Roberts looks like being that player.
In the rookie draft we will pick up a mixture of smalls and talls.

GVGjr
12-12-2011, 06:28 PM
And what do our TAC cup watchers think of our being linked to Fletcher Roberts?

He had a poor run at the combine with his agility and his repeat sprint times in fact his testing overall was disappointing.
At 193cm he needs to make it as a key forward. He has a decent leap but he isn't an athlete.

He will need to work hard much like Matthew Panos has had to.

GVGjr
12-12-2011, 07:10 PM
We will pick up a tall with our pick tomorrow in the preseason draft, Fletcher Roberts looks like being that player.
In the rookie draft we will pick up a mixture of smalls and talls.

I believe we have a ruckman in our sights as well for one of the rookie spots.

azabob
12-12-2011, 07:45 PM
I believe we have a ruckman in our sights as well for one of the rookie spots.

Will be interesting to see if he is mature age or a younger player.

I think McCartney mentioned we will draft a cross section of ages.

GVGjr
12-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Will be interesting to see if he is mature age or a younger player.

I think McCartney mentioned we will draft a cross section of ages.

If it's the guy I'm hearing about he's a younger guy who played in the VFL.

w3design
12-12-2011, 08:56 PM
If you have a name throw it out there . I would love to know.

Sockeye Salmon
12-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Roberts would be close to the skinniest kid ever drafted - even skinnier than Ayce Cordy was!

Go_Dogs
12-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Consolation Prize -by Emma Quayle (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/consolation-prize-20111211-1opwi.html)

For those overlooked in last month's draft, tomorrows rookie and pre-season drafts offers a second chance. The Age's draft expert, Emma Quayle, highlights the likely prospects.

LAUCHLAN DALGLEISH
MYLES BOLGER
FLETCHER ROBERTS
SHANE NELSON
JAI SHEAHAN
ANDREW BOSELEY
SAM FROST
JACK CRISP

Quite a few players listed here who would all add something to our list IMO. I would really love to see us target Dalgleish as he does address our need for pace, and Nelson would be another option. Let's not forget the knocks on Dahlhaus that led to him ending up in the rookie draft (size, disposal and decision making).

Getting another key position player and a ruck would be a nice, I just hope we balance any such selections with a couple of running players.

GVGjr
12-12-2011, 10:13 PM
At a guess it will be Fletcher Roberts in the PSD and probably Jack Crisp if he is available for the first rookie listed spot.
I believe we have our eye on a young ruckman who played in the VFL last year.

I'd like us to have a look at Boseley but I don't think we will.

Bulldog4life
13-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Roberts would be close to the skinniest kid ever drafted - even skinnier than Ayce Cordy was!

Fletcher Roberts
Club: Sandringham Dragons
Height: 195 cm
Weight: 84 kg

Sam Frost
Club: Sandringham Dragons
Weight: 87kg

Not much difference between Roberts and Frost weight wise.

Greystache
13-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Liam Jones
Club: Tasmania
Weight: 84kg

Mantis
13-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Ayce Cordy
203cm
76kg

Get off the smack SS.

chef
13-12-2011, 08:19 AM
What times the draft today?

The Underdog
13-12-2011, 08:20 AM
What times the draft today?

11am

chef
13-12-2011, 08:58 AM
11am

Thanks.

Sockeye Salmon
13-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Ayce Cordy
203cm
76kg

Get off the smack SS.

Check out these guns!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbSSekMu-CQ

Cyberdoggie
13-12-2011, 12:07 PM
How does GWS pass their first pick then pick on the second?

Edit: it was a typo on the AFL page.

LostDoggy
13-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Selection 11 (Western Bulldogs): Fletcher Roberts

Cyberdoggie
13-12-2011, 12:08 PM
fletcher roberts it is!

LostDoggy
13-12-2011, 12:09 PM
So what do we think? Good pick? I don't know enough about him.

Cyberdoggie
13-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Check out these guns!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbSSekMu-CQ

I think the format of that video makes it look worse than it is.

He's not huge though.

Cyberdoggie
13-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Sam Frost to GWS, that will dissapoint a few here.

LostDoggy
13-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Pick 9 (Western Bulldogs): Ling Jong

lol

readt it as Ling Long

bulldogsman
13-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Pick 9 - Lin Jong is a very nice rookie option, happy with that

Cyberdoggie
13-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Someone posted this about Ling Jong on another forum:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ling Jong (Oakleigh - Medium Utility)

have gone with Jong on the basis I think his scope for improvement is enormous. He really came from nowhere to play TAC this year and he showed plenty. Had a very good finals series where he showed off his freakish athletic credentials. He could play a variety of different roles and I am probably drawn to him bc I see a lot of a young Harry OBrien. Like Harry he has amazing agility and speed for a 188cm but his kicking can be a bit off at times. Like Harry I suspect his best position will be back and he will able to mark up talls and shorts which is great flexibility for coaches.

LostDoggy
13-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Pick 27 (Western Bulldogs): Tom Campbell

Cyberdoggie
13-12-2011, 12:21 PM

Looks like a Ruckman

Tom Campbell (http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/220753)

LostDoggy
13-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Tom Campbell
is from the 2009 draft

Height: 198cm
Weight: 96kg
DOB: 02/11/91
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Bio: Mobile ruckman/forward whose overhead contested marking is a great strength. Exceptional work rate and use by foot are also assets. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2009.

In his own words
What type of player are you?
A tall ruckman/forward. I am a smart player with good skills.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
David Hille. We are a similar size and I try to model my game on his. I admire his run, involvement in play all over the ground and his ability to push forward and be damaging.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
I have a physical presence and have worked hard on one-percenters and second efforts. I am a good kick, a solid mark and have quick hands.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
I have missed a lot of football and would like to improve my game sense, my leading and every other part of my game as well.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Richmond. Since I was very young I have enjoyed going to watch the Tigers with my family, who are Richmond supporters as well.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far and why?
Jarrod Molloy. He demanded a no-nonsense approach that has influenced the way I prepare and play. He has also taught me lessons about fundamentals that will stick with me for the rest of my career.

The Coon Dog
13-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Happy we have rookied a ruckman.

LostDoggy
13-12-2011, 12:29 PM
More on Lin Jong
http://www.monashweekly.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/afl-draft-oakleigh-chargers-magnificent-seven/2372079.aspx

stefoid
Tom Campbell
is from the 2009 draft

Height: 198cm
Weight: 96kg
DOB: 02/11/91
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Bio: Mobile ruckman/forward whose overhead contested marking is a great strength. Exceptional work rate and use by foot are also assets. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2009.

Jarrod Molloy. He demanded a no-nonsense approach that has influenced the way I prepare and play. He has also taught me lessons about fundamentals that will stick with me for the rest of my career.

YES!!!!

(For a brief moment I thought the buggest influence on his career was the (Mick) Molloy from the radio. )

Mofra
Ditto - spent time at Bendigo Bombers? Again, Shagga and B-Mac would know him well

Sedat
13-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Malcolm Lynch just picked up by Norf.

Wasn't Alex Greenwood linked to us in the ND on the AFL phantom draft?

Desipura
13-12-2011, 12:30 PM

So am I TCD, a decent size by the looks!

LostDoggy
13-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Malcolm Lynch just picked up by Norf.

Wasn't Alex Greenwood linked to us in the ND on the AFL phantom draft?

Happy with this. Good on him. Hope he does well (just not against us!)

Mofra
Alex Greenwood - 178cm, 71kgs.
Quick utility?

LostDoggy
Alex Greenwood

DOB: 24/10/93
Height: 178cm
Weight: 71Kg

KEVIN SHEEHAN SAYS

"Represented Vic Metro. Great clearance work, clean hands and creativity, good left-foot kick. From Vermont FC

bulldogsman
13-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Alex Greenwood - 178cm, 71kgs.
Quick utility?

He's not quick. Midfielder

Mofra
Pick 62 (Western Bulldogs): Jack Redpath

LostDoggy
Jack Redpath pick 62

Cyberdoggie
13-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Another Bendigo Bomber?

Sedat
Anybody know anything about Jack Redpath?

Sockeye Salmon
Another Lin Jong write-up from another forum

Pick 54: Lin Jong (Oakleigh Chargers) - 188cm 85kg

With the Dees last pick I'm going for a bit of an 'upside' player. They've got two bonus first rounders to play with next year and a PSD pick up their sleeve for a mature-bodied mid from a state league, they can afford to take a bit of a high-return gamble now.

Right now Jong is your classic utility in search of a position. For the chargers he spent a bit of time on the wing, some across half-back and half-forward, but late in the season he changed in the ruck, and with his enormous leap managed to compete quite well and provide a more than handy option once the ball hit the ground.

He's an athletic freak, with nice size, a huge jump and excellent pace for a bigger mid-type. Good engine, covers a whole lot of ground and his work ethic is admirable. His disposal is generally very good in terms of effectiveness %, but I don't think he's all that confident in it since he goes the safe, low-hurt-factor option more often than not.

That covers the 'athlete' part, as for the 'footballer' bit - he's still something of a work in progress. As I said, I get the feeling he doesn't entirely trust his disposal/decision making at this point, and he still has his very good and very bad games. But his improvement since the start of the season has been really impressive, and by the TAC GF he was a vital part of the chargers side. He didn't have a particulaly great GF, but was very good indeed in the prelim - reading the play well, dropping a kick behind the play like a ruckman, taking contested marks, and then taking off like a midfielder.

I wouldn't really expect him to play senior footy in his first year, or even much in his second. He's got a bit to learn, but he's developed out of sight this season and I reckon this will continue under an AFL regime. As for position - I'd see how he developed. At the most basic, he could be an athletic half-back type who can cameo on the wing something like Adam McPhee, but i'm certainly not writing off the possibility of him continuing his improvement trajectory and ending up as a true midfielder - some of his centre-square work when playing as a ruckman hinted that he could do this, down the track.

Desipura
13-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Pick 62 (Western Bulldogs): Jack Redpath

Redpath its good to see you back!

stefoid
13-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Redpath its good to see you back!

Now we need to draft a Gilmour

Mofra
From BF:

Pick #36 Geelong -Alex Greenwood (176cm midfielder - Eastern Ranges)

Perhaps not a real need for Geelong, but Greenwood does look like a Geelong midfielder. In that Christensen, Motlop, Varcoe mould. Good around the stoppages, likes to run and a very nice kick. I thought he might just sneak into the national draft as a late selection.

LostDoggy
Jack Redpath: (Article from Nov 2009)
Height: 191cm
Weight: 99kg
DOB: 13/12/90
Recruited from: Bendigo (VIC)
Bio: Key position prospect who performed well in 2009 for Bendigo down back after playing his juniors up forward. Imposing player who attacks the footy hard, is strong in the air and has good acceleration off the mark.

In his own words
What type of player are you?
I think I’m a strong player and aggressive at the football for my height. I have good speed and I like to play a key forward role.

Which AFL player do you most resemble and why?
Someone like John Brown because he’s aggressive at the football, fast, strong, has a good kick and a strong mark. He is someone I strive to be like.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
I’m good overhead and fast for my size. I have a good right and left foot, and I’ve played mostly forward but this year played in the backline in the VFL and did really well.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
My endurance and my defensive actions because I think that if you get them right then everything else will fall into place.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
I always barracked for Richmond but this year I played for the Bendigo Bombers, which are the Essendon reserves side. So now I support Essendon and I like them because they are a young side.

Probably my mum because she’s a single parent with five kids and she has always been there for me in the good and bad times, especially when I injured my knee this year

LostDoggy
13-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Good overhead mark seems to be the vibe

Mofra
13-12-2011, 12:40 PM
We do take Austin

Sedat
13-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Nice 21st birthday present for Jack. Welcome to the kennel

LostDoggy
13-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Mark Austin has a wiki page

and he is from Carlton...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Austin_(footballer)

Sedat
13-12-2011, 12:45 PM
So we ended up taking neither of the two Jones boys that were training with us?

Mofra
13-12-2011, 12:46 PM
# 54 Geelong - Fletcher Roberts (Sandringham Dragons - Key Fwd)

Split his time between ruck and fwd through the year and was handy without being a standout until the finals campaign. Had a good game vs Gippy and then sprung to notoriety with his 4 goal qtr to help drag Sandy over the line in the GF and it was a great performance. Smart player who uses the body well and has a good pair of hands. Nothing wrong with the kicking and in fact its one of his real strengths. I just dont have him going as high bc not sure if over the year there was enough output.

GVGjr

That was the guy I was hearing about

Mofra
# 75 Port - Lin Jong (Oakleigh - utility)

Debuted for Oaklegh this year and really impressed with this kid and should have him a lot higher. Infectious little bugger who I think could be groomed to play a variety of roles and showed that with Oakliegh this year with stints all over the ground including the ruck which at 188cm says something for his vertical leap. Tested very well from what I understand and you just need to watch him to see the speed and agility he possesses. Skills are good and i think would probably suit a range of spots so very draftable. Did some nice things in the TAC GF to. In the bests 8 out of his 14 games and huge scope for improvement.

(Lasy two posts from Snoop - BF)

Desipura
13-12-2011, 12:47 PM
That was the guy I was hearing about

Good work GVGjr, feel free to send me a pm next time ;)

Mofra
13-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Alex Greenwood ( Eastern Ranges - Midfielder). Sometimes there are players like Greenwood you just know probably wont get a shot because their are so many of them but I really hope he gets a go bc there are few that put in more. If he doesnt watch out for him in the VFL next year bc he will be picked and he will be good. Tough inside mid who excels around the contest and who was outstanding for the Ranges. Very physical and adept at winning his own ball and is extremely calm in the contest and uses it well be it by hand or foot. Interestingly in the few games I saw him play he also wasnt bad at receiving around the contest and hitting a target up so may have an extra trick there.

LostDoggy
13-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Sounds good all round. But like every player picked up, they all can sound good on paper. Will have to wait and see.

Mofra
13-12-2011, 01:01 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/big-leap-for-jong/story-fn53klc6-1226074339858

Big leap for Jong

THE start of winter isn't always a great time for TAC Cup clubs.
The team's prime draft material is representing Vic Metro at the nationals, the private school contingent is unavailable and selection changes, in double-figures, are the norm.

But, the period opens up opportunities for other players and the Oakleigh Chargers have unearthed a talent in Lin Jong.

LostDoggy
13-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Lin Jong - there will be hot competition down Barkly Street to see who Sponsors this bloke

Jimmy Wong would be favourite

Mofra
13-12-2011, 01:06 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/127112/default.aspx

Club put a small bio of all picks up

The Coon Dog
13-12-2011, 01:10 PM
The one thing that stands out to me over the various drafts this season is that 9 of the 10 we drafted are from Victoria (Mark Austin from Carlton via Glenelg being the exception), which takes away the 'go home' factor. I know we recently drafted a kid from around the corner who left, but those circumstances were exceptional. Could be important down the track.

stefoid
13-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Lin Jong - there will be hot competition down Barkly Street to see who Sponsors this bloke

Jimmy Wong would be favourite

What his background - viet, chinese?

LostDoggy
13-12-2011, 01:12 PM

Don't know but he will get more press than Julia Gillard

Desipura
13-12-2011, 01:16 PM
The one thing that stands out to me over the various drafts this season is that 9 of the 10 we drafted are from Victoria (Mark Austin from Carlton via Glenelg being the exception), which takes away the 'go home' factor. I know we recently drafted a kid from around the corner who left, but those circumstances were exceptional. Could be important down the track.

Funny you should mention what stands out, as I too have noticed we have picked up players that have decent builds and they thrive on the contested footy although a number of them have questionablke foot skills.

I look at a club like Collingwood who have Swan, O'Brien, Maxwell, Ball, Johnson & Shaw to name a few who are not the best kicks but most of them love the contested footy. I may be drawing a long bow however I see similiarites with our recruiting philosophy to the pies current set up.
In the past we would have drafted the likes of Markworth and Crozier, time will tell how successful we have been by recruiting this type of player.

Kevin Sheehan was just on SEN and was astounded that Fletcher Roberts did not get picked up in the National Draft.

Dancin' Douggy
13-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Some HUGE accolades coming on SEN from callers re Redpath!!!!!

Not from Bozos either.

An ex coach of his, and Nathan Thompson.

His coach said he was the best player he had ever coached full stop, and would 'tear this competition apart' if he stays injury free (two knee reco's already)

Big agressive unit a la Jonathon Brown with blistering acceleration!

Too good to be true?

stefoid
13-12-2011, 01:56 PM

Not from Bozos either.

His coach said he was the best player he had ever coached full stop, and would 'tear this competition apart' if he stays injury free (two knee reco's already)

Too good to be true?

When was his last reco? same knee?

Desipura
13-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Information on Alex Greenwood from Inside Footy:

"Alex is a genuine midfielder with soft hands who extracts the ball from the contest. He's also an elite endurance runner who will be a certain type for certain clubs. I think he is one who can adjust well to the next level and just needs an opportunity as he is an outstanding young man".
Eastern Ranges regional Manager Anthony Parkin.

anfo27
13-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Information on Alex Greenwood from Inside Footy:

"Alex is a genuine midfielder with soft hands who extracts the ball from the contest. He's also an elite endurance runner who will be a certain type for certain clubs. I think he is one who can adjust well to the next level and just needs an opportunity as he is an outstanding young man".
Eastern Ranges regional Manager Anthony Parkin.

is he related to Levi from North.

G-Mo77
13-12-2011, 02:53 PM

Not from Bozos either.

Too good to be true?

With those accolades why did he fall to the rookie draft? I hear the same thing every Draft with all sorts of players.

Remi Moses
13-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Tommy Davidson ? :eek:

Murphy'sLore
13-12-2011, 03:06 PM
With those accolades why did he fall to the rookie draft? I hear the same thing every Draft with all sorts of players.

But the fact remains some gems have been unearthed through the rookie draft, so don't write them all off yet.

Sockeye Salmon
13-12-2011, 03:16 PM
But the fact remains some gems have been unearthed through the rookie draft, so don't write them all off yet.

But we also know that only one, perhaps two, will be retained at best.

Dancin' Douggy
13-12-2011, 03:41 PM

Knees. Long absences from the game. Almost gave it away but decided to give it one last crack and..........so far so good. Has already (according to Nathan Thompson been down to the club and held his own in one on one drills with the big guys. Minson's name was mentioned. Apparently this Redpath kid is a monster of a man.

Remi Moses
13-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Pick 9 - Lin Jong is a very nice rookie option, happy with that

I thought we picked up the North Korean dictator .:eek:
We'd never lose another game

Dancin' Douggy
13-12-2011, 03:42 PM
BTW. I'm only reporting on what I heard on SEN. I had never heard of the kid until today.

Ghost Dog
13-12-2011, 03:59 PM
So everyone happy? VG to get a ruck option.

Mofra
13-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Knees. Long absences from the game. Almost gave it away but decided to give it one last crack and..........so far so good. Has already (according to Nathan Thompson been down to the club and held his own in one on one drills with the big guys. Minson's name was mentioned. Apparently this Redpath kid is a monster of a man.
Listed as 99kgs at 191cm - so Dale Morris with another 8-9kgs on him. And quick.
His stats sound alot like Fev TBH.

bulldogtragic
13-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Good luck to Boumann and Malcolm now. Their replacements sounds every bit as exciting as they were when they first got red out as bulldog recruits. But all seems good, as it always does at this stage, lets who makes it and who took up a space. Bring on the footy - extra especially because the cricket is shit lately.

strebla
13-12-2011, 04:02 PM
All in all on paper we seem to have done well looking forward to watching a few of these kids run around for Williamstown next year and hope I don't see em at the doggies(that would mean no LTI's).

Cyberdoggie
13-12-2011, 04:17 PM
All in all on paper we seem to have done well looking forward to watching a few of these kids run around for Williamstown next year and hope I don't see em at the doggies(that would mean no LTI's).

True but without LTI's we wouldn't of seen Luke Dahlhaus this year ;)

G-Mo77
13-12-2011, 04:42 PM

Haven't wrote him off or any other selection yet I just don't have as high expectations for any of the rookie selections, never do, they're either hit or miss. Not all of them are guns.

Remi Moses
13-12-2011, 05:04 PM
In saying that though we've done well out of the rookie draft for a club with less recruiting resources than others. Yeah there will be a few ordinary conveyances picked but might be a few gems.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-12-2011, 05:08 PM
I know nothing about most of them, but it sounds like a good bunch. I trust in Dalrymple who really hasn't had too many misses yet.

Interesting we've gone with a few 20 y.o's -- I like it.

strebla
13-12-2011, 05:16 PM
True but without LTI's we wouldn't of seen Luke Dahlhaus this year ;)

Yeah good call Cyberdoggie if we get another as good as him I will be surprised though :rolleyes:

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Haven't wrote him off or any other selection yet I just don't have as high expectations for any of the rookie selections, never do, they're either hit or miss. Not all of them are guns.

We could easily say the same about a couple on our senior list. Over time we haven't done too badly on rookies eg Boyd, Morris and Picken. Blooding 3-4 rookies could be a step forward for 2013 given the ages of some of our current list. It will be interesting to see what influence BMcC has in the type of rookies being recruited.

Dancin' Douggy
13-12-2011, 05:33 PM
We could easily say the same about a couple on our senior list. Over time we haven't done too badly on rookies eg Boyd, Morris and Picken. Blooding 3-4 rookies could be a step forward for 2013 given the ages of some of our current list. It will be interesting to see what influence BMcC has in the type of rookies being recruited.

Don't forget Harbrow either.

LostDoggy
13-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Heya guys, sorry I missed the entire thing, stupid question, who did we pick up in the PSD?

strebla
13-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Heya guys, sorry I missed the entire thing, stupid question, who did we pick up in the PSD?

Fletcher Roberts Lantern

Cyberdoggie
13-12-2011, 06:07 PM

Fletcher Roberts

http://myfirst.classicfilmfreak.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads2/2010/05/fletch_movie_image_chevy_chase.jpg

LostDoggy
13-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Of course they're hit and miss: that's why (in most cases, not all) they fell through to the Rookie Draft.

Cyberdoggie
13-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Here's an interesting fact for you all:

This year we have added 10 new players to the combined lists:

Clay Smith
Michael Talia
Daniel Pearce
Tory Dickson
Fletcher Roberts
Lin Jong
Tom Campbell
Alex Greenwood
Jack Redpath
Mark Austin

What do they all have in common?

I believe they are all from Victoria.
Not one interstate player, I'm sure that has happened in the past when less players were picked up each year but with so many rookies as well?

Also 3 of those players have played for the Bendigo Bombers, so you would attribute their selection to the influence of the senior coach and/or shannon grant's input.
Austin trained with us so he may of also been under the coaches radar before hand, Smith was almost requested by the coach, and Talia was an auto selection pretty much.

My point is how much work has Dalrymple had to do?
Sure he has to do the research but all these players have been under our noses or recommended by new coaching additions.

Not so much a criticism but an observation of our recruitment and perhaps recruiting network or lack of.

G-Mo77
13-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Of course they're hit and miss: that's why (in most cases, not all) they fell through to the Rookie Draft.

Which is exactly what I said.

I just don't get excited about rookie selection and the constant talking up that goes with them.....shoot me. :rolleyes:

Axe Man
13-12-2011, 06:49 PM
I believe they are all from Victoria.

Austin is originally from SA but obviously has been in Victoria for a few years now.

Ghost Dog
13-12-2011, 06:54 PM

Interesting article on the life of a rookie

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a-long-way-to-the-top-if-you-want-to-kick-a-goal-20111211-1opo1.html

bulldogtragic
13-12-2011, 06:56 PM
No Fev, Bevan or Davis. Especially no Schofield in the west.

chef
13-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Does anyone have a full list of the psd and rookie drafts?

G-Mo77
13-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Does anyone have a full list of the psd and rookie drafts?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/your-clubs-selections-20111213-1osel.html

Dazza
13-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Good luck to Boumann and Malcolm now. Their replacements sounds every bit as exciting as they were when they first got red out as bulldog recruits. But all seems good, as it always does at this stage, lets who makes it and who took up a space. Bring on the footy - extra especially because the cricket is shit lately.

I've quite enjoyed the cricket lately.

BulldogBelle
13-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Is Redpath any relation to Ian (Bill's mate).

chef
14-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Good to see another Ky boy(Wearden got picked up by Brissie) in Mangan get picked up this year. For small town we certainly do produce a lot of sports stars.

choconmientay
14-12-2011, 09:14 AM

Here is a report about him (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/raw-talent-fuels-teens-rise-to-bulldogs-rookie-list-20111213-1ot6v.html) in TheAge... "born to Taiwanese and East Timorese parents"

I guess this is part of the plan to open up to "the Western Front". This may help to attract the Asian population to join and support our club.

LostDoggy
14-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Here is a report about him (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/raw-talent-fuels-teens-rise-to-bulldogs-rookie-list-20111213-1ot6v.html) in TheAge... "born to Taiwanese and East Timorese parents"

I guess this is part of the plan to open up to "the Western Front". This may help to attract the Asian population to join and support our club.

I doubt we recruited him because of his background, but yes, it's an added bonus. Much like Majak Daw I guess.

Mofra
14-12-2011, 10:38 AM
My point is how much work has Dalrymple had to do?
Sure he has to do the research but all these players have been under our noses or recommended by new coaching additions.

Not so much a criticism but an observation of our recruitment and perhaps recruiting network or lack of.
Austin is originally from SA, but yes he has spent the past few years in Vic.

I have no doubt Dalrymple has done the hard yards - I'd expect B-Mac asked for the best contested ball winner at our pick rather than one player specifically.

If the 20% rule for rookie elevations over the past five years is taken into account, Dalrymple is batting above the league average.

Bulldog Joe
14-12-2011, 11:20 AM
If the 20% rule for rookie elevations over the past five years is taken into account, Dalrymple is batting above the league average.

Dalrymple has indeed done well.

This is his 3rd draft and from the 1st 2 he had 8 selections and has already had 4 upgraded to the senior list. This is a 50% strike rate and one of them (Hahn) was just insurance and NEVER getting back on the main list.

If he can do as well this year we have added 2 more potential senior list players.

Ghost Dog
14-12-2011, 11:31 AM
I doubt we recruited him because of his background, but yes, it's an added bonus. Much like Majak Daw I guess.

Doubt it. Most Asians think our game is for psychos.:D

Pretty impressive that he has some elite aspects to his skill set already.
Kicking will need a lot of work. Won't expect to see him in the seniors for a fair while, with just 4 seasons under his belt. Full of promise. Well done on keeping things interesting selectors!

Mantis
14-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Good to see another Ky boy(Wearden got picked up by Brissie) in Mangan get picked up this year. For small town we certainly do produce a lot of sports stars.

I get your point but Is it a bit early to include these new draftees in the 'star' category?

LostDoggy
14-12-2011, 12:19 PM
I get your point but Is it a bit early to include these new draftees in the 'star' category?

Everybody who plays for the Bulldogs is a star, Mantis.

LostDoggy
14-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Had a closer look at the draft choices in the past 24 hours, quite pleased in general with the approach -- a lot less 'gambling' this year, and a genuine attempt at shoring up the no.10-20 spots in our starting 22 (from which several outstanding players may emerge a la Dahlhaus) rather than shooting for the 'stars' by picking long-shots and failing miserably. Not too many 'outlier' choices (other than Smith, but even he isn't a 'flaky' choice, more a solid player taken slighly early), and the rookies are all solid picks who have shown form at junior levels, or reasonable mature-age punts (other than Austin, a pick I don't really understand -- if we wanted an injury prone backman we've already got more than our fair share of those). No guarantees, of course, but we've given ourselves a good chance to unearth some solid AFL level players.

Ghost Dog
14-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Had a closer look at the draft choices in the past 24 hours, quite pleased in general with the approach -- a lot less 'gambling' this year, and a genuine attempt at shoring up the no.10-20 spots in our starting 22 (from which several outstanding players may emerge a la Dahlhaus) rather than shooting for the 'stars' by picking long-shots and failing miserably. Not too many 'outlier' choices (other than Smith, but even he isn't a 'flaky' choice, more a solid player taken slighly early), and the rookies are all solid picks who have shown form at junior levels, or reasonable mature-age punts (other than Austin, a pick I don't really understand -- if we wanted an injury prone backman we've already got more than our fair share of those). No guarantees, of course, but we've given ourselves a good chance to unearth some solid AFL level players.

I was surprised about Austin too until I read a bit about him. In the last season, so I read, appears he was more unlucky than injury prone, being kept out of their backline by some pretty decent players.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-12-2011, 01:33 PM
I've seen Austin do some solid things, but I've seen him look equally as poor. I suppose for the last spot on the list, we could do worse.

Mofra
14-12-2011, 01:52 PM
I've seen Austin do some solid things, but I've seen him look equally as poor. I suppose for the last spot on the list, we could do worse.
Personally I think taking a punt on someone like Austin - and Redpath - is what we should be doing with the rookie list. Low risk, but large upside as it is injury, rather than ability, that has held them back. We only need one of them to have some luck with their body and we've found something.

The Underdog
14-12-2011, 01:53 PM
I have to say I'm pretty happy with the approach to the Rookie Draft. Whether the players work out or not is always marginal but 2 more mature KPF & KPD types plus a maturing ruck as well as a couple of mids who have in order, a strong athletic base but lack background in the game and a guy who can play but is undersized seem pretty good rookie attributes.

It's always easy to feel positive about these things at this time of year but it's hard to see a lot wrong with the way they've gone about this lot.

Ghost Dog
14-12-2011, 01:54 PM

In which areas was he poor / good TBB? Never seen the kid before.

Ghost Dog
14-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Personally I think taking a punt on someone like Austin - and Redpath - is what we should be doing with the rookie list. Low risk, but large upside as it is injury, rather than ability, that has held them back. We only need one of them to have some luck with their body and we've found something.

Very good points

Greystache
14-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Someone I know at Carlton said to me if Austin had've had a better run with injuries he'd have been out of the AFL system 2 years ago. It's only his lack of footballing continuity that's allowed him to extend his career.

The Underdog
14-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Someone I know at Carlton said to me if Austin had've had a better run with injuries he'd have been out of the AFL system 2 years ago. It's only his lack of footballing continuity that's allowed him to extend his career.

They've had 2 weeks to look at him close up, the coaching staff obviously think there is something to work with. Whether they are right or wrong is another matter.

Ghost Dog
14-12-2011, 02:37 PM
I love the rookie draft.:D It's much more interesting.
Same way I love op shops and used car lots. Nothing satisfies like a bargain!

The Bulldogs Bite
14-12-2011, 05:52 PM
In which areas was he poor / good TBB? Never seen the kid before.

He'll run and fly for a ball, either spoil it really well or take a surprisingly good mark. The next contest, he'll be out-bodied by a player half his size.

It's not like I watch him play every week, but he's one of those inconsistent players from contest to contest, let alone game to game.

Maybe it is a continuity thing, although I think he's played enough footy despite his injuries. He may be able to offer something as a third tall, but there's no way he can compete as the number one (or two) defender IMO.

Greystache
14-12-2011, 06:30 PM
They've had 2 weeks to look at him close up, the coaching staff obviously think there is something to work with. Whether they are right or wrong is another matter.

They must have done, but I saw him in a match simulation drill at training 2 weeks ago and he made Liam Jones look like a 200 game key forward.

ledge
14-12-2011, 06:35 PM
They must have done, but I saw him in a match simulation drill at training 2 weeks ago and he made Liam Jones look like a 200 game key forward.

I will take that as Liam has improved out of sight!

Desipura
14-12-2011, 08:01 PM

I'm closing my eyes imagining it comes true. ;)

chef
14-12-2011, 08:03 PM

I was more talking about the ones that have already proved themselves as the stars.

Ghost Dog
14-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Regards the rules for GWS - one age poster says....

If your allowed that many more players on your list then anybody else for that long then it doesn't matter if half of your draft picks don't make it, because they will still have a massive advantage in every part of trade week and draft week, not to mention salary cap for the next 7 years, on top of this year and last year.

You can't fail with this SET UP just on the sheer volume of players they can go through to get what they need!

How on earth did the other clubs allow themselves to be bullied into this sham?

2019 ARE YOU KIDDING

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/port-beats-tigers-to-punch-on-mccarthy-20111213-1ot6t.html#ixzz1gUqHqdaM

mjp
15-12-2011, 07:17 PM
You can't fail with this SET UP just on the sheer volume of players they can go through to get what they need!

More is not better. It creates a whole other set of problems...particularly when you have such a large group of 'players' who will never actually get to play.

With only one side, a list of much more than 40 would be hard enough...with the rookie players, you really need a self-motivated/driven bunch who are able to work relatively independently. The primary coaching focus is always going to be on the top 15-25, those players will be the focus of all of the meetings, opposition prep etc etc...the others are at the club but will never really feel part of things. 59 players? Good luck with that...

LostDoggy
16-12-2011, 11:18 AM
More is not better. It creates a whole other set of problems...particularly when you have such a large group of 'players' who will never actually get to play.

With only one side, a list of much more than 40 would be hard enough...with the rookie players, you really need a self-motivated/driven bunch who are able to work relatively independently. The primary coaching focus is always going to be on the top 15-25, those players will be the focus of all of the meetings, opposition prep etc etc...the others are at the club but will never really feel part of things. 59 players? Good luck with that...

Don't they have a million coaches (and senior players who are also assistant coaches) though?

I get your point though -- hopefully that disenchantment translates into some easy pickings for good young quality come trade time in a couple of years.

Bulldog4life
16-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Apparently he is not according to the ABC.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-14/austin-to-join-western-bulldogs/3731284/?site=westernvic&section=news

Austin to join Western Bulldogs

Updated December 14, 2011 15:06:44

Former Mallee footballer Mark Austin is off to the Western Bulldogs, after being picked up by the Bulldogs in yesterday's rookie draft.

Austin played his junior football with Jeparit Rainbow but had five years and 15 games with Carlton before being delisted at the end of last season.

Austin had struggled with injury but was invited to train with the Western Bulldogs last month.

The 22 year old was one of six delisted mature-age players to be given a chance at another club in yesterday's draft.

soupman
12-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Just heard that Lin Jong will wear 46.

Hotdog60
25-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Does anyone know how many rookies we will take this year?

My thoughts are on Thorp, if he doesn't get picked up would he be worth a rookie to keep an eye on.

KT31
25-10-2013, 11:02 AM

My thoughts are on Thorp, if he doesn't get picked up would he be worth a rookie to keep an eye on.

JMAC mentioned it will be unlikely we pick him up but is sure he will be.

LostDoggy
25-10-2013, 11:05 AM

Depends how many we clear out/promote to the senior list. Would think we'd max it out after those decisions are made.

Hotdog60
25-10-2013, 11:09 AM
I suppose we now have the added bonus that if we want to suss out future players we can employ them in the VFL Bulldogs under a VFL contract so in some ways our rookie list has expanded. :)

G-Mo77
28-10-2013, 08:56 PM
I was just watching Catch up with Crameri (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2013-10-28/a-catch-up-with-crameri) on the Website.

It looks like Jong in the background during the interview. That may have some relevance on the Rookie Draft. It could be someone else but it does look like him.

LostDoggy
28-10-2013, 09:04 PM
I was just watching Catch up with Crameri (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2013-10-28/a-catch-up-with-crameri) on the Website.

It looks like Jong in the background during the interview. That may have some relevance on the Rookie Draft. It could be someone else but it does look like him.

Yep, in the Red. Reckon he's survived?

KT31
28-10-2013, 09:42 PM

Good to see Ayce's hands have in improved, I'm not sure he meant to drop the weights.:)

G-Mo77
29-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Yep, in the Red. Reckon he's survived?

Well he's a good chance you'd think. When does the rookie list need to be finalised?

Good to see Ayce's hands have in improved, I'm not sure he meant to drop the weights.:)

:D

soupman
07-11-2013, 10:17 AM
So it appears all the rookies have been retained. Jong is in Arizona, as is Redpath I am led to believe. The Bulldogs twitter posted a picture with Greenwood in it at training today and Goodes has been officially promoted.

Austin is the only one who I have yet to see anything solid about, but you would imagine as the best performed of the rookies in the second half of the year he is being kept on as well.

azabob
07-11-2013, 10:39 AM
So it appears all the rookies have been retained. Jong is in Arizona, as is Redpath I am led to believe. The Bulldogs twitter posted a picture with Greenwood in it at training today and Goodes has been officially promoted.

Austin is the only one who I have yet to see anything solid about, but you would imagine as the best performed of the rookies in the second half of the year he is being kept on as well.

I would have prefered to elevate Austin rather than Goodes. Will be interesting to see what happens over the next 12 months.

I would imgaine quite a few list changes at the end of 2014.

bulldogtragic
07-11-2013, 10:45 AM
I don't really understand any of this. But I'm not in on the master plan.

soupman
07-11-2013, 11:14 AM
I don't really understand any of this. But I'm not in on the master plan.

I think the key to it is that you have to really not rate this draft.

bulldogtragic
07-11-2013, 11:40 AM
I think the key to it is that you have to really not rate this draft.
In isolation, I can see that line of thinking.

From my personal perspective, I can list many good pick ups in the late ND and RD. I would be prepared to gamble losing Greenwood and Redpath for the chance at such a player. From what I have seen live and on TV, I just don't how they've managed another contract.

But I see what you say, they must think the talent pool stops very early in the ND.

Maddog37
07-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Week draft and timing of contracts would be part of the issue. Maybe they also want to give them a chance in our own team as they have displayed a hunger to work and have had injury setbacks.

soupman
07-11-2013, 12:10 PM
In isolation, I can see that line of thinking.

From my personal perspective, I can list many good pick ups in the late ND and RD. I would be prepared to gamble losing Greenwood and Redpath for the chance at such a player. From what I have seen live and on TV, I just don't how they've managed another contract.

But I see what you say, they must think the talent pool stops very early in the ND.

Yep. Agree. Wouldn't have a problem with the club cutting either of them.

LostDoggy
07-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Work this one out:

By my calculations we have 37 of 40 spots max on the primary list - this includes the elevation of Goodes.

We have, after Goodes, four third year rookies on the rookie list. By my understanding we can only have a max of three thrid year rookies on the rookie list.

Surely we'd use three live picks at the ND, taking the list to 40 of 40 primary spots.

That leaves at least one third year rookie too many.

Are these assumptions right? Who goes? If only one rookie we don't go to the rookie draft and PSD. Do we pass on pick 60?

bulldogsman
07-11-2013, 03:47 PM
We have, after Goodes, four third year rookies on the rookie list. By my understanding we can only have a max of three thrid year rookies on the rookie list.

If there is such a rule (I don't believe there is) we could just delist Greenwood and re rookie him. No one will take him.

soupman
07-11-2013, 03:52 PM
We may have promoted Austin.

As that counts as a primary list change (of which we have to make three) we could then draft just 2 players in the ND (actually just one would be enough with Goodes promotion as well), and draft one rookie.

LostDoggy
07-11-2013, 03:56 PM
If there is such a rule (I don't believe there is) we could just delist Greenwood and re rookie him. No one will take him.

Begs the question doesn't it. What has anyone seen in him over the past three years? From what i've seen, and from what i've read of other peoples viewpoints, i don't recall anyone being complimentary regarding his talent.

He'd be my logical choice to be delisted, but if he played with Footscray that'd be it. Wouldn't see the point of re-rookie.

bulldogtragic
07-11-2013, 04:02 PM
We may have promoted Austin.

As that counts as a primary list change (of which we have to make three) we could then draft just 2 players in the ND (actually just one would be enough with Goodes promotion as well), and draft one rookie.
If we did that I would have to question the decision. I just done see a premiership in this group just yet.

soupman
07-11-2013, 04:07 PM
If we did that I would have to question the decision. I just done see a premiership in this group just yet.

I think there are still a lot of players on their last chance next season.

Guys like Howard, Tutt, Pearce, Williams, Jong, Redpath, Greenwood, Cordy etc all need to really take a step forward next year to justify their spot.

I'd rather we give them that chance though and use the spots vacated by the failures (plus Gia and probably one of Boyd/Morris/Murphy) in a strong draft than we deny them that chance and fill their spots with very late picks in what seems to be a very weak draft.

Could also help spread the ages of our sides core players a bit further.

bulldogsman
07-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Begs the question doesn't it. What has anyone seen in him over the past three years? From what i've seen, and from what i've read of other peoples viewpoints, i don't recall anyone being complimentary regarding his talent.

He'd be my logical choice to be delisted, but if he played with Footscray that'd be it. Wouldn't see the point of re-rookie.

Yeah I don't see what Greenwood has to offer at all, it's very puzzling.

I do see the talent in Jong and Redpath, though I could make a very good case for them to be delisted. Those three should count themselves all as very lucky.

Axe Man
07-11-2013, 06:07 PM
What I don't understand is why we wouldn't delist at least 1 (lets say Greenwood) and wait and see what's available at pick 4 in the rookie draft. If there's nothing that we like just re-draft him, it's not like anybody else would trump us. By retaining them all it just gives us no flexibility should someone we fancy slip though the national draft.

Unless there is a rule against re-drafting rookies?

The Underdog
07-11-2013, 06:42 PM
What I don't understand is why we wouldn't delist at least 1 (lets say Greenwood) and wait and see what's available at pick 4 in the rookie draft. If there's nothing that we like just re-draft him, it's not like anybody else would trump us. By retaining them all it just gives us no flexibility should someone we fancy slip though the national draft.

Unless there is a rule against re-drafting rookies?

We upgraded Goodes so wouldn't we have one pick?

Before I Die
07-11-2013, 06:46 PM

He played very well in the finals for Williamstown seniors in 2012 and then suffered a leg injury which kept him out for most of 2013. He is an inside mid with very good skills on both sides of his body. His problem at the moment is that he doesn't have the body strength for this role. The club is very happy with his progress and sees a future for him but wants to build him up physically before making a final call. When he came back from injury his focus was putting on weight and strength conditioning, not football, hence he played for Williamstown reserves. Things can change suddenly, but i believe he was told quite early on that he would be retained and to concentrate on developing his body. I have inside information in this case, but I am confident that there is a good solid reason each time the club decides to retain a rookie.

Axe Man
07-11-2013, 06:50 PM
We upgraded Goodes so wouldn't we have one pick?

Depends on whether or not we go 1 short on the primary list again.

LostDoggy
07-11-2013, 08:13 PM
He played very well in the finals for Williamstown seniors in 2012 and then suffered a leg injury which kept him out for most of 2013. He is an inside mid with very good skills on both sides of his body. His problem at the moment is that he doesn't have the body strength for this role. The club is very happy with his progress and sees a future for him but wants to build him up physically before making a final call. When he came back from injury his focus was putting on weight and strength conditioning, not football, hence he played for Williamstown reserves. Things can change suddenly, but i believe he was told quite early on that he would be retained and to concentrate on developing his body. I have inside information in this case, but I am confident that there is a good solid reason each time the club decides to retain a rookie.

Cheers BID, good to hear if that's the case.

Still appears to be something that needs to give in relation to my original post, unless they don't take a live pick with 60 and end up upgrading another rookie to the primary.

divvydan
07-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Perhaps there's also a situation where this draft is expected to be much weaker than next year's draft and keeping on an extra couple of players who we would otherwise take late/rookie picks for means they we can move them on next year to really attack next year's draft.

Twodogs
08-11-2013, 12:06 AM

Thanks for passing that on. I have no problem with the club coming good on its commitment in that case.