PDA

View Full Version : Delistings

southerncross
11-09-2007, 07:03 PM
This from the Age this morning

The Western Bulldogs are expected to announce the delisting of at least three more players today, bringing to six the number of confirmed departures since the club's season ended nine days ago.
Cameron Faulkner, Travis Baird and Tim Walsh are all expected to depart, joining retirees Brett Montgomery, Matthew Robbins and Luke Darcy. Chris Grant, who is considering retirement, is still to make his decision and will be guided by the club's trading scenarios.
Faulkner played 18 games in a career at Whitten Oval that began in 2003. The 23-year-old South Australian played only one game in 2007. Neither Baird nor Walsh, who was chosen with selection four in the 2002 national draft, played for the Dogs this year.
A further delisting is mooted but Jarrod Harbrow, who played 11 games in an impressive debut season as a rookie this year, will be promoted to the senior list.

Dry Rot
11-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Any great surprises there?

Was Faulkner another of our dud second round picks?

southerncross
11-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Any great surprises there?

Was Faulkner another of our dud second round picks?

No real surprises but just because someone gets delisted it does not mean that they are a dud. It's not as clear cut as that.
You know the issue with Faulkner and it really wasn't form related. He played a number of very good games for the Werribee but still couldn't crack it for a game in an otherwise under performing team. It's just the luck of the draw with some players.

Dry Rot
11-09-2007, 07:56 PM
I suppose there is a slight difference between a dud player and a dud draft pick.

Re the latter, it didn't work out for whatever reason, therefore = dud use of a pick. Koops wasn't a dud, just his body packed it in.

Go_Dogs
11-09-2007, 08:02 PM
It's a real shame, Travis had showed some good signs late last year prior to doing his hammy - sadly couldn't put it together at all this year and others like Tiller moved ahead of him. Any ideas who the other will be? Looking like we'll keep Dmac for one more year, which I'm happy with.

southerncross
11-09-2007, 09:00 PM
I suppose there is a slight difference between a dud player and a dud draft pick.

Re the latter, it didn't work out for whatever reason, therefore = dud use of a pick. Koops wasn't a dud, just his body packed it in.

Honestly Wells was about the only dud player we have drafted. Some work out and some don't. It doesn't necessarily mean the that they were duds

LostDoggy
11-09-2007, 09:01 PM
I can't really guess who the 4th one will be, I hope it's not McCormack, he was unlucky with his PCL injury and missed a lot of the season, he showed a bit last year...but I can't really pick who else there is that could go.

mackem
11-09-2007, 10:43 PM
I think that Cameron Faulkner had bad luck with injuries at the wrong time.

southerncross
11-09-2007, 10:50 PM
I think that Cameron Faulkner had bad luck with injuries at the wrong time.

Earlier this year I think an injury or two did him no favours but his last 9 or 10 weeks with Werribee were very good and he should have got a game or two.

I wish him well in the future.

Dry Rot
12-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Anyone know what is happening with the 4 current rookies? Assume Harbrow will be promoted and West cut, but what is happening with the other two?

Bulldog Revolution
12-09-2007, 10:14 AM
DMac and Skipper are the other two who will be under a fair bit of pressure to retain there spots, and perhaps McDougall (although the suggestion is he has a contract)

Maybe the club will see what condition they report back in before making a call

Sockeye Salmon
12-09-2007, 10:25 AM
DMac and Skipper are the other two who will be under a fair bit of pressure to retain there spots, and perhaps McDougall (although the suggestion is he has a contract)

Maybe the club will see what condition they report back in before making a call

Mcdougall definately has a contract but even if he didn't he would be as safe as the royal baby.

Skipper was gone 2 months ago but is safe now.

If the club has said another player is going to go, McCormack would have very sweaty palms.

aker39
12-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Link to article on bulldogs website

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/4112/Default.aspx?newsId=50976

It's official

McCormack
Baird
Walsh
Faulkner

Pask
West

Go_Dogs
12-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Anyone else a bit surprised/disappointed to see DMac on that list? Surely he was worth persisting with for another year on the basis of his form after injury, and form prior to injury. I guess we don't have the insight to everything that goes on behind those walls, but I think it's a bit of a harsh decision.

LostDoggy
12-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Anyone else a bit surprised/disappointed to see DMac on that list? Surely he was worth persisting with for another year on the basis of his form after injury, and form prior to injury. I guess we don't have the insight to everything that goes on behind those walls, but I think it's a bit of a harsh decision.

Not really. Thought he looked slow last season and didn't get the ball enough to warrant his lack of pace.

The Doctor
12-09-2007, 12:43 PM

Not surprised. I had him delisted on one of the threads in this forum.

the selection of DMac is one of the few beefs I've had with Clayton's recruiting. I was hoping he would take Maric (now with the Crows) who was still available at the time. That one did shive me the gits.

Raw Toast
12-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Not overly surprised about DMac either - in past years he was consistently good for Werribee, but needed to show promise for us this year and sounds like he struggled for Werribee after coming back from his knee injury.

Addison went past him late last year and Harbrow's also been given some hbf roles - hard to see him getting a defensive role and as far as I'm aware he hasn't shown the capacity to play in the midfield or up forward.

Looks like we're going to try and keep Hughes on as a rookie if we don't upgrade him. I wonder if any other teams will try and get him to nominate for the draft?

Templeton31
12-09-2007, 12:57 PM
I think DMac is a good example of how fickle sport can be. I reckon if he had been drafted by a side struggling (eg Tiges or Dees) then he would've got more of a go and made it. Even us without the injury this year he might have pressed on and made it. But the reality is we have a lot of his type and he is at the back of the pecking order.

Sockeye Salmon
12-09-2007, 01:02 PM
D-Mac had no weapons. He had no real strength that he could use to exploit an opponent but his lack of pace could be used by his opponent to exploit him.

Go_Dogs
12-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Well, I'm slightly more at ease after hearing your responses.

Dry Rot
12-09-2007, 02:12 PM
I think DMac is a good example of how fickle sport can be. I reckon if he had been drafted by a side struggling (eg Tiges or Dees) then he would've got more of a go and made it. Even us without the injury this year he might have pressed on and made it. But the reality is we have a lot of his type and he is at the back of the pecking order.

This could equally apply to Skipper if we had some talls and ruckmen.

So seven seniors gone, and presume Harbrow gets formally promoted.

So 6 picks in a weak draft or 5 and Hughes gets promoted or 4 if we get a retread like Whitnall in the PSD?

westdog54
12-09-2007, 04:25 PM
This could equally apply to Skipper if we had some talls and ruckmen.

So seven seniors gone, and presume Harbrow gets formally promoted.

So 6 picks in a weak draft or 5 and Hughes gets promoted or 4 if we get a retread like Whitnall in the PSD?

I'd say we're going to cough up a pick or two in the trade period once its all over.

bornadog
12-09-2007, 04:46 PM
I haven't seen Walsh play at all but I am still dissappointed he wasn't given one more year. Maybe they assessed his medical side and decided not to take a chance as why would you give away a player that is 197 cm and only 22 years old and has shown ability. Yes he has had some bad luck with broken leg, broken finger, knee reco and hamstring injuries, but his form in the past 6 weeks (I know Werribee Reserves only) has been good.

Lets hope we give some young guys a go as a forward, ie keep them in the role till they come good, none of this rotation bullsh*t.

Templeton31
12-09-2007, 04:55 PM
With Walsh I reckon ya gotta remember the kid himself might have had enough. 4 years on the list mostly doing rehab, not sure if he will make it, cant just be "normal" and have fun with his mates....he wouldnt be the first kid to say think I'll do something else with my life. Its great to have the dream of playing AFL footy but when the reality doesnt match the dream it can cause some to say "Nah I'll do something else with my life".

bornadog
12-09-2007, 05:09 PM
With Walsh I reckon ya gotta remember the kid himself might have had enough. 4 years on the list mostly doing rehab, not sure if he will make it, cant just be "normal" and have fun with his mates....he wouldnt be the first kid to say think I'll do something else with my life. Its great to have the dream of playing AFL footy but when the reality doesnt match the dream it can cause some to say "Nah I'll do something else with my life".

good point

DOG GOD
12-09-2007, 09:56 PM
GOODBYE Cam...just gotta find a new favourite player now. Hope he gets picked up by another club, coz with gametime i think he could do a rodan next year,

LostDoggy
12-09-2007, 09:59 PM
It's a shame about D-Mac, I thought he was OK when he played, obviously not the fastest player going around but he was hard at it. I thought he'd get another run seeing as he had a pretty serious injury which restricted him this year.

I agree with Templeton 31 about Walsh maybe losing the passion, I'd never thought about that aspect of it.

LostDoggy
12-09-2007, 10:33 PM
GOODBYE Cam...just gotta find a new favourite player now. Hope he gets picked up by another club, coz with gametime i think he could do a rodan next year,

Reckon he will get picked up in the PSD. His form for Werribee was pretty good this year, and Im sure other clubs would've taken notice.

westdog54
12-09-2007, 10:33 PM

I think it explains a lot about why he's spent the latter part of the season in the Werribee 2's despite some good games, and why he went for his MFB test.

On that point, if he was passed fit to join the MFB something tells me that questions over his fitness wouldn't be as huge when deciding his future.

Would be a very interesting question to ask Rocket at the first Footy Show next year.

westdog54
12-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Reckon he will get picked up in the PSD. His form for Werribee was pretty good this year, and Im sure other clubs would've taken notice.

Failing that, he may even get a chance on a Rookie List.

LostDoggy
12-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Failing that, he may even get a chance on a Rookie List.

Isnt he too old to be rookied? :confused:

Go_Dogs
13-09-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm pretty sure Cam is 23. We rookied Dale at 23. Not sure exactly what the age limit is.

LostDoggy
13-09-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm pretty sure Cam is 23. We rookied Dale at 23. Not sure exactly what the age limit is.

Dale debuted when he was 22, and there have been much older rookies going around I'm sure, was there someone at West Coast who was almost 30 when he debuted as a rookie? I thought I heard something about that recently.

Go_Dogs
13-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Dale debuted when he was 22, and there have been much older rookies going around I'm sure, was there someone at West Coast who was almost 30 when he debuted as a rookie? I thought I heard something about that recently.

Thanks for your correction.

The Coon Dog
13-09-2007, 07:13 PM

Are you sure about that???

LostDoggy
13-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Are you sure about that???

No, I just remember a thread on Bigfooty (damn, there goes my credibility) where a lot of West Coast supporters were talking about this old guy who debuted in his late 20s, I did a search for it but I couldn't find it anywhere.

bornadog
13-09-2007, 09:14 PM
No, I just remember a thread on Bigfooty (damn, there goes my credibility) where a lot of West Coast supporters were talking about this old guy who debuted in his late 20s, I did a search for it but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Morris is 24 and will be 25 in December. Debuted in 2005, round 5, so at the time was till 22.

The Coon Dog
13-09-2007, 09:20 PM

I was only winding you up!

I expected you to jump back at 100 miles per hour & say YES, then I was going to say, 'just checking'.

LostDoggy
13-09-2007, 09:38 PM
I was only winding you up!

I expected you to jump back at 100 miles per hour & say YES, then I was going to say, 'just checking'.

Are we talking about Dale or the old rookie guy? Because I knew instantly that Dale was 22, but don't remember the West Coast player...I thought we were talking about him, as if I'd get a question about Dale wrong!

The Coon Dog
13-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Are we talking about Dale or the old rookie guy? Because I knew instantly that Dale was 22, but don't remember the West Coast player...I thought we were talking about him, as if I'd get a question about Dale wrong!

As if, indeed!

Nice avatar, by the way.

Sockeye Salmon
13-09-2007, 11:50 PM

The West Coast guy was Troy Wilson. He debuted at 28 and had one half decent season then disappeared.

Faulkner is too old to be rookied and the mature age rookie thing is only for blokes who have never been on an AFL list.

The Underdog
14-09-2007, 12:12 AM
The West Coast guy was Troy Wilson. He debuted at 28 and had one half decent season then disappeared.

Faulkner is too old to be rookied and the mature age rookie thing is only for blokes who have never been on an AFL list.

Wilson also wasn't a rookie.
Brad Smith was another drafted in his mid 20's (also not a rookie) but did his knee twice before he got to play a game.

bornadog
14-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Wilson also wasn't a rookie.
Brad Smith was another drafted in his mid 20's (also not a rookie) but did his knee twice before he got to play a game.

I thought rookies had to be under a certain age, but I could be wrong.

Just checked........ Ahhh, according to Wikapedia, Rookies must be under 23.

Sockeye Salmon
14-09-2007, 10:08 AM
I thought rookies had to be under a certain age, but I could be wrong.

Just checked........ Ahhh, according to Wikapedia, Rookies must be under 23.

You can have one mature age rookie these days. The rule is he can never have been an an AFL list before, including rookie list. The rookie list stipulation is bollocks. Pods couldn't be taken because he was on Collingwoods rookie list about 7 years ago.

Throughandthrough
03-03-2008, 01:49 PM
I can't really guess who the 4th one will be, I hope it's not McCormack, he was unlucky with his PCL injury and missed a lot of the season, he showed a bit last year...but I can't really pick who else there is that could go.

Sadly Damien dislocated his shoulder early on in an internal trial for Glenelg friday night.

And initial reports are that the damage is bad, may miss the whole season :(

Shattering news for the young guy, is a good bloke to chat to as well.

Raw Toast
03-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Sadly Damien dislocated his shoulder early on in an internal trial for Glenelg friday night.

And initial reports are that the damage is bad, may miss the whole season :(

Shattering news for the young guy, is a good bloke to chat to as well.

Shocking news for a kid who seemed to give it a shake but couldn't quite find a place and then lost confidence after struggling to get fully fit.