PDA

View Full Version : Dimattina - All Wind

LostDoggy
28-11-2011, 07:37 PM
I recall a few months ago how Paul Dimattina announced he was going to challenge David Smorgon and he had a rival ticket to challenge the board and that he had a white knight lined up to put $5 million into the club.

Well, today it was announced by the club that the two vacant board positions would be filled unopposed ........... and not a word from Dimattina and his gang. Just goes to prove that all he wanted to do was initiate negative media for the club when it is not wanted. A classic example of sticking the boots in when the chips are down.

As many of us suspected ....... he couldn't back up his statements and he is just froth and bubble.

chef
28-11-2011, 07:57 PM
I recall a few months ago how Paul Dimattina announced he was going to challenge David Smorgon and he had a rival ticket to challenge the board and that he had a white knight lined up to put $5 million into the club.

Well, today it was announced by the club that the two vacant board positions would be filled unopposed ........... and not a word from Dimattina and his gang. Just goes to prove that all he wanted to do was initiate negative media for the club when it is not wanted. A classic example of sticking the boots in when the chips are down.

As many of us suspected ....... he couldn't back up his statements and he is just froth and bubble.

Maybe he's doing the respectful thing and letting Smorgon see out his term before mounting a challenge.

Greystache
28-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Just like his father he makes big statements about financial contributions he's going to make that generate a lot of publicity for him and his business, but in the end it's always just a pathetic grab for free air time.

ledge
28-11-2011, 08:01 PM
From what i remember it was the media and he denied having a rival ticket and everyone mentioned in the ticket denied it.
Although he did say he would go on the board if he was asked.
Personally I see him as someone who loves the club and was willing to help out.

bornadog
28-11-2011, 09:17 PM
From what i remember it was the media and he denied having a rival ticket and everyone mentioned in the ticket denied it.
Although he did say he would go on the board if he was asked.
Personally I see him as someone who loves the club and was willing to help out.

Yep, heard him on SEN say it was just media speculation and he hadn't even spoken to anyone about it. However, a mate said he sat next to someone at the footy who said there was a challenger, it wasn't Dimatina but he had $5 million to put into the club. So I think the media has the wrong person.

ledge
28-11-2011, 09:34 PM

Just in case i missed it could you show me the statements he made?
Only ones I know were complete denial.

LostDoggy
29-11-2011, 01:06 AM
Just in case i missed it could you show me the statements he made?
Only ones I know were complete denial.

3rd June 2011

Former player and businessman Paul Dimattina met powerbroker Simon Beasley yesterday at The Botanical hotel in South Yarra to discuss the prospect of Dimattina, and possibly others, seeking seats on the board.

Such a move could be the first major step in a bid to end the 15-year reign of David Smorgon as Western Bulldogs president.

Dimattina told the Herald Sun last night that he wanted to join the Bulldogs' board to help safeguard the club's long-term future.

"We're not trying to cause a coup. We don't want bloodshed," Dimattina said. "This isn't a power trip or an ego trip. It is to benefit a football club. I just want to make sure that the club is in such a strong position that it is thriving and not hanging on by a tightrope.

"I am hoping my son (Kai) plays there in 10 or 11 years. He loves the club."

Dimattina revealed he had recently spoken to an AFL premiership coach about the Bulldogs' position as Rodney Eade fights for his coaching life.

"I met with a coach, yes, you can say that," he said.

"It was just a general chat. I wouldn't elaborate on that at this stage out of respect for him.

"I meet with a lot of people. I have coffee at the restaurant with a lot of people.

"There are various people to talk to, who we know quite intimately, that would be very beneficial.

"I have an enormous network and with my network, I can help the club."

He admitted a group of people wanted to assist the club in eradicating its $3 million debt.

Dimattina said former Bulldogs president Nick Columb and former captain Rick Kennedy were also supportive of his bid.

Beasley urged Smorgon to appoint Dimattina to the board as soon as possible in order to rejuvenate it.

"They (the Bulldogs) need to re-energise the place a bit and to get a few more younger punters on to the committee," Beasley said. "They should put him on the committee now.

"He is a young bloke with good ideas. He is a very astute businessman. He has a very successful chain of restaurants and coffee shops. He turns over a lot of money.

"Someone young like 'Dimma' coming on with new ideas would be great for the club."

Beasley insisted he had no interest in joining the Bulldogs board.

"He (Dimattina) is a bit irritated with what's going on," Beasley said.

"What I said to him is if he wants to get involved, he should go and talk to David. Go and get David to make a position available for him on the committee."

Smorgon yesterday challenged Dimattina or any member of a rival group plotting a challenge to "put up or shut up".

"I would have expected that if any individual or group had an issue they know that as president I, and the board, have always been open to meeting with people, discussing things and dealing with those issues openly," Smorgon said.

"I don't find it offensive -- I find it surprising -- but those people would have to answer that question, they're responsible for their own actions.

"But I encourage people with appropriate credentials -- as well as having the experience and the time and all the commitments -- to offer their services to the Bulldogs if they feel that way inclined."

Smorgon, 64, was last year re-elected for another three years. According to the club's constitution, an extraordinary general meeting can be convened by the chief executive if requested by 5 per cent of the club's members.

With 30,943 members, that would mean a petition with 1547 signatures.

always right
29-11-2011, 09:00 AM
3rd June 2011

Former player and businessman Paul Dimattina met powerbroker Simon Beasley yesterday at The Botanical hotel in South Yarra to discuss the prospect of Dimattina, and possibly others, seeking seats on the board.

Such a move could be the first major step in a bid to end the 15-year reign of David Smorgon as Western Bulldogs president.

Dimattina told the Herald Sun last night that he wanted to join the Bulldogs' board to help safeguard the club's long-term future.

"We're not trying to cause a coup. We don't want bloodshed," Dimattina said. "This isn't a power trip or an ego trip. It is to benefit a football club. I just want to make sure that the club is in such a strong position that it is thriving and not hanging on by a tightrope.

Dimattina revealed he had recently spoken to an AFL premiership coach about the Bulldogs' position as Rodney Eade fights for his coaching life.

"It was just a general chat. I wouldn't elaborate on that at this stage out of respect for him.

"I meet with a lot of people. I have coffee at the restaurant with a lot of people.

"There are various people to talk to, who we know quite intimately, that would be very beneficial.

He admitted a group of people wanted to assist the club in eradicating its $3 million debt.

Dimattina said former Bulldogs president Nick Columb and former captain Rick Kennedy were also supportive of his bid.

Beasley urged Smorgon to appoint Dimattina to the board as soon as possible in order to rejuvenate it.

"They (the Bulldogs) need to re-energise the place a bit and to get a few more younger punters on to the committee," Beasley said. "They should put him on the committee now.

"He is a young bloke with good ideas. He is a very astute businessman. He has a very successful chain of restaurants and coffee shops. He turns over a lot of money.

"Someone young like 'Dimma' coming on with new ideas would be great for the club."

"What I said to him is if he wants to get involved, he should go and talk to David. Go and get David to make a position available for him on the committee."

Smorgon yesterday challenged Dimattina or any member of a rival group plotting a challenge to "put up or shut up".

"I would have expected that if any individual or group had an issue they know that as president I, and the board, have always been open to meeting with people, discussing things and dealing with those issues openly," Smorgon said.

"I don't find it offensive -- I find it surprising -- but those people would have to answer that question, they're responsible for their own actions.

"But I encourage people with appropriate credentials -- as well as having the experience and the time and all the commitments -- to offer their services to the Bulldogs if they feel that way inclined."

Smorgon, 64, was last year re-elected for another three years. According to the club's constitution, an extraordinary general meeting can be convened by the chief executive if requested by 5 per cent of the club's members.

But couldn't the Herald Sun have made up those quotes?:rolleyes: Nice work Petergm.

The Coon Dog
29-11-2011, 09:11 AM
No challenge to Western Bulldogs board

Al Paton - Herald Sun - 29 November

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/10/24/1226175/661950-chris-grant.jpg

A HYPED challenge to the Bulldogs board has amounted to nothing, with board vacancies set to be filled unopposed.

The Dogs have announced an operating profit of $121,762 for the year ending October 31.

The club also said two board vacancies would be filled by unopposed candidates Chris Grant and Gaye Hamilton at the club's AGM next month.

Club champion Grant is set to take the role of football director while Hamilton is a current director.

Bulldogs agitator Paul Dimattina had promised to take on president David Smorgon and talked of a "white knight" who would commit up to $5 million to the club if Smorgon stepped aside.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/no-challenge-to-western-bulldogs-board/story-e6frf9jf-1226208359699)

LostDoggy
29-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Point 1: Who would be stupid enough to challenge Chris Grant?

Point 2: Paul Dimattina wore the red, white and blue, wore it well, and deserves our respect. He has a right to disagree with the club. It doesn't make him Lucifer. That's Akermanis' job. :)

Point 3: I also notice that the profit comes on the back of some obvious expense-slashing across the club. Thankfully, footy department spending wasn't cut back, but just about every other area reports a cutback in expenditure. It's nice to be profitable, and tough times mean you can whittle your costs down better than in rosy times, but it would be nice to turn a profit based on increased revenue in membership or merchandise. So having somebody willing to reduce the debt (if they're not a figment of the media's imagination) would help the club so much it's worth hearing people's opinions, even if they are contrary to the club's vision or plans.

Mofra
29-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Point 2: Paul Dimattina wore the red, white and blue, wore it well, and deserves our respect. He has a right to disagree with the club. It doesn't make him Lucifer. That's Akermanis' job. :)
Many people who have met him probably wouldn't hold him in that high regard - just because he wore the jumper in a past career, doesn't make him less of an arrogant tool.

ledge
29-11-2011, 10:45 AM
3rd June 2011

From what i see he wanted to get on the board because he felt he had something to give, he wasnt happy with the coach, fair enough we all have an opinion but even in this article he insists he doesnt want to take over, the coach was replaced things have changed maybe he is happy with it now?
The article starts with he is interested on going on the board and a few friends have encouraged him but the H/S has tried to turn it into a coup.
It becomes obvious its a beat up when all these so called new board members for the coup all say they arent interested.
I like the wording of Kennedy and Columb were supportive of his bid, being a very misleading line, try supportive of him joining the board

ledge
29-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Many people who have met him probably wouldn't hold him in that high regard - just because he wore the jumper in a past career, doesn't make him less of an arrogant tool.

Maybe its why he wasnt asked onto the board, then again look at Kennett sometimes arrogant tools are good for a club.

LostDoggy
29-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Maybe its why he wasnt asked onto the board, then again look at Kennett sometimes arrogant tools are good for a club.

Kennett, Eddie, Nisbett — I reckon you're onto something…

chef
29-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Kennett, Eddie, Nisbett — I reckon you're onto something…

All presidents in premiership years?

LostDoggy
29-11-2011, 07:03 PM
These are the comments that leave him wide open. He blew his trumpet that he has "an enormous network" and a group of people who could help with the debt.

So, where are they???

ledge
29-11-2011, 07:26 PM
These are the comments that leave him wide open. He blew his trumpet that he has "an enormous network" and a group of people who could help with the debt.

So, where are they???

No idea who they are and it still doesnt make it a board takeover as the article implied.
I want to assist the club too with a group of mates in eradicating the 3 mil debt but is that me forming a coo
If I put a grand in i have assisted in eradicating it.
Its was all media crap.
Walk up to any former player in a successful business and they would probably say same if they love the club and its in debt.
Difference was he said he was willing to go on the board so media jumped at it.

westdog54
29-11-2011, 09:17 PM

So, where are they???

He also said he'd join the board if asked.

Obviously he wasn't.

Great spin job by the Herald Sun and sadly you've taken it, hook, line and sinker.

always right
29-11-2011, 10:47 PM
So assuming everything is now rosy between Dimma and the club, there shouldn't be a problem introducing those people who want to help eradicate the debt....or was that dependent on Dimma getting on the board? Surely not.

ledge
29-11-2011, 10:54 PM
So assuming everything is now rosy between Dimma and the club, there shouldn't be a problem introducing those people who want to help eradicate the debt....or was that dependent on Dimma getting on the board? Surely not.

Maybe it was, who knows if things are rosy but if the club didnt ask him on the board I would say he doesnt fit the board position whatever it is.

jeemak
29-11-2011, 11:50 PM

So, where are they???

For mine, I'm always wary of those that have great connections - with money, or friends with money - that want to help out through taking on a senior position within the club. What else does Dimma bring to the table beyond knowledge of the hospitality industry or small business, and some backing from the more glitzy or glamorous side of our supporter base?

We're a club that does need people with solid entrepeneur qualities, of course, but I'd prefer these qualities to be backed up by serious large scale commercial and top end business experience. There's no substitute for that.

Dazza
30-11-2011, 12:26 AM

I have pretty fond memories of Dimma. Went to his restaurant a bit as a kid. Was always great with everyone.

jeemak
30-11-2011, 12:37 AM
I have pretty fond memories of Dimma. Went to his restaurant a bit as a kid. Was always great with everyone.

I guess it comes down to personal experience, doesn't it? I've never met the guy, I've heard things about him, I've read things about him on here and on other forums and I'm prepared to hold off my judgment.

Everything said about people on this forum, needs to be taken with a grain of salt, just like any other.

For instance, I'm an aresehole if you ask the right people. But my mum says I'm a lovely guy.

LostDoggy
30-11-2011, 09:47 AM
I always feel a bit funny about bagging out ex-players (with a few exceptions – Aker and Brad Murphy). I remember Libba coming out with some pretty strong opinions RE the board a few years back, and he was crucified. Libba. It was wrong. I sat in the cheer squad one afternoon with the whole lot of them giving him a hard time (he was seated behind it) and here I am trying to remind these buggers that he gave 100% for our club and has the right to an opinion on it. Now, Tom is playing and all is forgotten. If Dimma's son gets drafted, let's not have something awkward to look back on.

He voiced his opinion. He went about things the wrong way. Other than that, he's done nothing wrong.

always right
30-11-2011, 10:02 AM
I guess it comes down to personal experience, doesn't it? I've never met the guy, I've heard things about him, I've read things about him on here and on other forums and I'm prepared to hold off my judgment.

Everything said about people on this forum, needs to be taken with a grain of salt, just like any other.

For instance, I'm an aresehole if you ask the right people. But my mum says I'm a lovely guy.

Maybe your mum's an arsehole.:)

always right
30-11-2011, 10:03 AM
I always feel a bit funny about bagging out ex-players (with a few exceptions – Aker and Brad Murphy). I remember Libba coming out with some pretty strong opinions RE the board a few years back, and he was crucified. Libba. It was wrong. I sat in the cheer squad one afternoon with the whole lot of them giving him a hard time (he was seated behind it) and here I am trying to remind these buggers that he gave 100% for our club and has the right to an opinion on it. Now, Tom is playing and all is forgotten. If Dimma's son gets drafted, let's not have something awkward to look back on.

He voiced his opinion. He went about things the wrong way. Other than that, he's done nothing wrong.

Fair enough....I just don't like it when people outside the club carry on about having contacts who are willing to pour big money into the club but only if certain actions are taken. Put the money in or shut up.

jeemak
30-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Maybe your mum's an arsehole.:)

That would help explain a few things.

bornadog
30-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Fair enough....I just don't like it when people outside the club carry on about having contacts who are willing to pour big money into the club but only if certain actions are taken. Put the money in or shut up.

At least they have their heart in the right direction, ie the club we all love.

azabob
01-12-2011, 09:14 PM

Why Brad Murphy?

Remi Moses
02-12-2011, 04:26 AM
Liked Dimma as a player, but noticed that he does shoot off at the mouth.
Maybe he 's waiting for Smorgo to retire.
Maybe he had a " James Brayshaw white knights " moment.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
02-12-2011, 08:14 AM
Why Brad Murphy?

Because of his haircut?

anfo27
03-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Why Brad Murphy?

Because he wore a headband at nightclubs?

LostDoggy
05-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Why Brad Murphy?

If you really want to know, PM me. :)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
05-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Now I'm scared I've never done a post mortem before