PDA

View Full Version : Malthouse fails EJ 'Legend' test?

bornadog
29-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Always thought Malthouse was a wanker and this proves it

Link here (http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-sport-blog/malthouse-fails-ej-legend-test/20111129-1o4a9.html)

LATEST: 3AW commentator and AFL Premiership coach Mick Malthouse has taken to Twitter on Tuesday to pour cold water on the Western Bulldogs' assertion he 'attacked' the record of the legendary Ted Whitten.

After the club, via its own Twitter site, passed on messages of discontent coming from The Kennel, Malthouse responded with the tweet: "My association with EJ Whitten was 1st class. He was and always will be a legend of a bloke and of the game. No disrespect intended."

UPDATE: Western Bulldogs President David Smorgon has expressed his disappointment at Mick Malthouse after the new 3AW commentator seemed to lack knowldege of the career of AFL Legend Ted Whitten.

In a statement issued via the club's Twitter feed, Smorgon said: "I can't ever recall anyone attacking Ted Whitten's status as a legend of the game."

"Ted's record is exemplary and I am extremely disappointed that Mick, who coached the Bulldogs in the mid-eighties, has questioned the status of one of our game's greats."

EARLIER: The Western Bulldogs have taken a little bit of interest in ex-Collingwood - and Bulldogs! - coach Mick Malthouse's apparent lack of knowledge in relation to one of the AFL greats.

Did Mick fail his AFL Legends test or was this tongue in cheek?

3AW Football Director, Mark Kleiman, reckons Mick was being 'tongue-in-cheek'.

ledge
29-11-2011, 02:37 PM
I think the AFL needs to come out and say something on this, Maybe Mick should be made to watch all his Vic games, ask his opponents, what a stupid man, finally mick, watch his last lap around the MCG now thats a legend of the game.

Ghost Dog
29-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Um...what did he actually say?

ledge
29-11-2011, 02:53 PM

No idea, would be nice if articles actually quoted what they are talking about but if Smorgon has come out in defence its not good.
Or is it just another media story push like the Dimmattina one, i might have jumped the gun here.

bornadog
29-11-2011, 02:57 PM

No idea, would be nice if articles actually quoted what they are talking about but if Smorgon has come out in defence its not good.
Or is it just another media story push like the Dimmattina one, i might have jumped the gun here.

Indicated that EJ failed the legends test.

bornadog
29-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Mick, you can't be serious (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/confidential/mick-you-cant-be-serious/story-fn9eu7in-1226209165101)

HOW quickly we forget. Was Mick Malthouse serious yesterday when he questioned the status of Ted Whitten as a footy legend?

Malthouse was making his first appearance in a weekly slot on Neil Mitchell's morning program on 3AW.
Introducing him, Mitchell asked Malthouse if he was a legend of the game. "Oh, I doubt it," was the reply.

Malthouse proceeded to discuss legends of the game and made his comments about Whitten.

"I'm just wondering did he play enough games and did he play in a premiership?" he inquired about the man they called Mr Football.

Malthouse had prefaced that comment by saying he walked around the MCG and looked at the statues.

"I think they are legends," he said.

"There's (Ron) Barassi and Teddy Whitten ... I don't know if Teddy Whitten was a legend but certainly Barassi was."

Mitchell chipped in: "Ted could be a legend ... he always thought he was."

Malthouse then said: "I'm not sure. Teddy may well be a legend. Certainly Barassi was, Jock McHale, Leigh Matthews, Haydn Bunton and those sort of blokes and Kevin Bartlett should be."

After Mitchell said Whitten was a pretty handy player, Malthouse remembered Whitten might have been a premiership player ``in 1953''.

"Perhaps he should be a legend," he conceded.

Well, Mick, seeing as your memory isn't great, here are some facts about the great E.J. Whitten.

He was one of the 12 inaugural Legends of the game the Hall of Fame named in 1996, many would say probably the first nominated.

His citation says: "He could play in any position on the ground."

He held the games record at 321 until John Rantall broke it in 1979 and was selected at centre half-back in the AFL's Team of the Century.

At 21, in 1954, he played in Footscray's only premiership, winning the best-and-fairest that year and four other times. In 1961, he captain-coached a young Bulldogs team to the Grand Final after introducing the flick pass.

He represented Victoria 29 times and became synonymous with state football as chairman of selectors.

And his farewell appearance in front of a packed MCG before an interstate game remains one of football's most emotional moments.

Ghost Dog
29-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Who cares what Mick thinks? I don't think he ever used the word ' fail' anyway, but was just being reserved about his choice. .

Ted had a televised state funeral!Top that!
Enough said.
Next article!

jazzadogs
29-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Some of the quotes in the Herald Sun Sports confidential today.

'I don't know if teddy whitten was a legend but Barassi certainly was.'

'I'm just wondering did he play enough games and did he play in a premiership?'

bornadog
29-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Who cares what Mick thinks?
The guy had a televised state funeral. Enough said.
Next article!

Well I care. He is on radio broadcasting crap and people listen to him.

immortalmike
29-11-2011, 03:18 PM
I'll just repost what I wrote on the club's facebook...

"Wow! These arguments always crop up when you talk football. I.e., is Lou Richards a legend? Should Wayne Carey be inducted based on his personal problems? But the one guy I thought everyone agreed on was Teddy, the guy has been described as the best ever so many times it is laughable."

Was Mick serious.

Also why is it that if you played for Footscray your playing record is always questioned. "Scott West not a champion"-Mike Sheahan. Chris Grant was the second best player of his era (sometimes he was the best) but is never talked about. Brad Johnson's prime was as good if not better than James Hird's. But all we hear about are other clubs champions. Nobody questions Buckley, Robert Harvey, Gary Ablett or Tony Lockett. Why is it that our players are continually denigrated?

Dazza
29-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Playing well in grand finals...

Ghost Dog
29-11-2011, 03:30 PM
"Whitten was regarded by his contemporaries in the 1950s and 1960s as the greatest naturally talented player of his era. "

AFL sporting Hall of fame.
Now if Barrassi is a legend, and he says Whitten was, ( dubbed him Mr Football ) personally, I don't care what Mick says as it wasn't his era and he is obviously a bit sketchy on the history.

LostDoggy
29-11-2011, 03:45 PM
"Whitten was regarded by his contemporaries in the 1950s and 1960s as the greatest naturally talented player of his era. "

AFL sporting Hall of fame.
Now if Barrassi is a legend, and he says Whitten was, ( dubbed him Mr Football ) personally, I don't care what Mick says as it wasn't his era and he is obviously a bit sketchy on the history.

The issue is that these comments are disrespectful and an insult to the man who many, including me, are of the opinion that he was the finest footballer to have played the game.

And it went well beyond being naturally talented because as well as being that he was the toughest and meanest bloke to play the game.

As my mate Laurie Sandilands (who played alongside him) says, "He was absolutely ruthless."

Malthouse is setting himself up as a highly credentialled commentator on the game. In future I hope he researches his subject a lot better than this.

LostDoggy
29-11-2011, 04:24 PM
I think the AFL needs to come out and say something on this, Maybe Mick should be made to watch all his Vic games, ask his opponents, what a stupid man, finally mick, watch his last lap around the MCG now thats a legend of the game.

Was there that day, will forever be my favourite footy moment. I don't know if even winning a flag could top that day.

He was enough of a legend to make some of the hardest men in football cry like schoolgirls.

LostDoggy
29-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Was Mick Malthouse out of line when he questioned Ted Whitten's legend status?
Yes
65.18% (322 votes)
No
34.82% (172 votes)
Total votes: 494

So far, 172 Collingwood supporters have voted on the Herald Sun poll.

Ghost Dog
29-11-2011, 04:30 PM
If EJ were alive he would just laugh and give Mick the Agincor salute.

LostDoggy
29-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Obviously toungue in cheek by Mick. Not a story.

Bulldog4life
29-11-2011, 04:59 PM

Why is it obviously tongue in cheek in your opinion?

ledge
29-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Mick just joined Aker in the ranks of idiocy and wankerness.
Great way to start a radio career.

anfo27
29-11-2011, 05:26 PM
what on earth is Mick on about? He needs to be more professional and keep off the cheech & chongs before going to air. 'Did he play enough games?' he has to be under the influence of something to be asking a ridiculous question like that. TOOL.

ledge
29-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Aker and him in same category all about them, Figjams unite on radio.

ReLoad
29-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Honestly, this is some sort of Joke right? to slang off a dead guy who is held in such respect by a very large portion of the football community? to say "did he play enough games" indicates Mick was either drunk, or didn't take his medication today, or even C all of the above.

Congratulations Mick, you 100% confirmed your life long remembered status of a traitor and a dickhead.

I even have the distinct pleasure of spanking your son for the biggest six in cricket I've ever hit and watching you having a go at him from the boundary for bowling custard tarts, your an embarrassing old man, keep up the good work.

AndrewP6
29-11-2011, 06:31 PM

I didn't sense that in the slightest. I did however, sense an enormous amount of disrespect shown for a true champion of the game. Malthouse ought to be ashamed of himself.

AndrewP6
29-11-2011, 06:32 PM
And to think, people wanted him back at the Bulldogs as coach. Mick's media career might not reach the heights he did as coach.

GVGjr
29-11-2011, 06:36 PM
He's made an obvious error but I don't hold it against him.

ledge
29-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Didnt mean to be disrespectful???
What part wasnt? If thats not disrespectful what is?

Remi Moses
30-11-2011, 02:11 AM
And to think, people wanted him back at the Bulldogs as coach. Mick's media career might not reach the heights he did as coach.

Made a poor choice . Very unlike Mick to be honest,as you'd be more inclined to attribute this to the gob of Akermanis!Does anyone under 70 listen to that windbag Mitchell?

chef
30-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Surprised someone like Mick would say that.

LostDoggy
30-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Honestly, this is some sort of Joke right? to slang off a dead guy who is held in such respect by a very large portion of the football community? to say "did he play enough games" indicates Mick was either drunk, or didn't take his medication today, or even C all of the above.

Congratulations Mick, you 100% confirmed your life long remembered status of a traitor and a dickhead.

I even have the distinct pleasure of spanking your son for the biggest six in cricket I've ever hit and watching you having a go at him from the boundary for bowling custard tarts, your an embarrassing old man, keep up the good work.

Did you cry out, “This is for ’89!!” as it sailed over the fence?

strebla
30-11-2011, 11:20 AM
He did not only disrespect EJ he also disrespected the footy club he coached "maybe he played in a flag in 53".Not good enough Mick your better than that!!!!

ledge
30-11-2011, 11:26 AM
He did not only disrespect EJ he also disrespected the footy club he coached "maybe he played in a flag in 53".Not good enough Mick your better than that!!!!

The club who gave him his start in coaching that no doubt he wouldnt be where he is now.

Sockeye Salmon
30-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Jon Anderson gave him a nice old spray on 3AW this morning.

Something along the lines of, "What next, Mick? Don Bradman couldn't bat? Dawn Fraser couldn't swim?"

ledge
30-11-2011, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=Sockeye Salmon;251950]Jon Anderson gave him a nice old spray on 3AW this morning.

Something along the lines of, "What next, Mick? Don Bradman couldn't bat? Dawn Fraser couldn't swim?"[/QUOTE

Good and so he should
Lucky he doesnt coach anymore, imagine our supporters and the pre game speech from our president before the game.
He attacked one of the heart and souls of the club.

bornadog
30-11-2011, 02:39 PM

The club he bailed out of at the first sign of trouble.

LostDoggy
30-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Why is it obviously tongue in cheek in your opinion?

"I'm just wondering did he play enough games and did he play in a premiership?" he inquired about the man they called Mr Football.

After Mitchell said Whitten was a pretty handy player, Malthouse remembered Whitten might have been a premiership player ``in 1953''.

Firstly, Mick would have grown up watching EJ, just like every football loving kid in the 50's and 60's. He would have known that he was the games record holder because EJ retired the year before Mick started playing VFL, a point in time when Mick was probably pretty interested in the game.

Also Mick coached the Dogs for 5 seasons, and no doubt would have had a relationship with EJ. Anyone who knows anything about the Dogs knows that they have only ever won one flag and that Ted Whitten played in that game and that the flag was won in 1954. I'm sure he was also aware of the popular alternate Mike Brady theme song which had the year '54 in it.

Mick has a quirky sense of humour. Obviously tongue-in-cheek. Not a story. Move on.

AndrewP6
30-11-2011, 08:06 PM

Firstly, Mick would have grown up watching EJ, just like every football loving kid in the 50's and 60's. He would have known that he was the games record holder because EJ retired the year before Mick started playing VFL, a point in time when Mick was probably pretty interested in the game.

Also Mick coached the Dogs for 5 seasons, and no doubt would have had a relationship with EJ. Anyone who knows anything about the Dogs knows that they have only ever won one flag and that Ted Whitten played in that game and that the flag was won in 1954. I'm sure he was also aware of the popular alternate Mike Brady theme song which had the year '54 in it.

Mick has a quirky sense of humour. Obviously tongue-in-cheek. Not a story. Move on.

Completely disagree, this was an inexcusable show of disrespect for a club and game legend. Easy to see he's been hanging out at Collingwood.

Maddog37
30-11-2011, 08:18 PM
I think it was a bad joke that has bitten him on the arse. Think how EJ would react. I am not sure he would be overly precious about it. He was a bigger man than that.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-12-2011, 10:59 AM
He's made an obvious error but I don't hold it against him.

I am inclined to agree. Mick was a good servant as coach of the Western Bulldogs and played a big part in making the club competitive on the field.

ledge
03-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Maybe we could show Mick this at about the 19.11 minute mark?http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/how-we-brought-you-the-world/story-fn7x8me2-1226205297064

KT31
04-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Mike Sheehan seems almost human with his interview.
Malthouse must have been pulling the chain, he would have grown up living and breathing EJ.
IMO bigger and better than Matthews and after all this time is still talked about today.