PDA

View Full Version : PSD - who do we want?

bulldogtragic
30-11-2011, 05:29 PM
A mature player or over looked kid?

Maddog37
30-11-2011, 05:38 PM
No one older than 24.

bulldogtragic
30-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Did Brad Dick walk out? edit - yes he did.

Then there is Austin, John Mccarthy, Adam Maric, Dawson, Lovett, Mitch Farmer, Medhurst, Nathan Ablett... scraping the bottomm of the barrel.

or a kid, Frosts name keeps getting thrown around..

Greystache
30-11-2011, 05:44 PM
I'd like to see us go for another young key defender, either Boseley or Sam Frost, and a mature ruckman as back up. Dalrymple seems to have a reasonable eye for mature back ups playing state league footy, hopefully he has one in mind. Other than those two I'd like to see us look for speed and good kicking skills and hope they develop into another couple of Luke Dahlhaus'

chef
30-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Official order won't be released until next week but it looks like:
1. GWS
2. Gold Coast
3. Port
4. Richmond
5. Fremantle
6. Bulldogs
7-10. GWS

LostDoggy
30-11-2011, 06:48 PM
None of those recycled ones please Macca.

Frost by all reports sounds like a gooden, go get him and ill be happy.

G-Mo77
30-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Austin is linked to us so it could be him. I'd rather Frost.

stefoid
30-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Only players who have been delisted are in the PSD - others like Frost will be in the rookie draft?

G-Mo77
30-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Only players who have been delisted are in the PSD - others like Frost will be in the rookie draft?

You're probably right I just thought you could draft anyone. :confused:

soupman
30-11-2011, 07:30 PM
You can draft anyone who has nominated for the ND or just the PSD. So ex-AFL players, overlooked draftees or someone from the middle of nowhere are all options.

Melbourne prove this having drafted guys like Joel McDonald (ex Lion), Jamie Bennell and Liam Jurrah through the PSD in past years.

chef
30-11-2011, 07:30 PM

Not true, we can pick anyone who nominates.

Mofra
30-11-2011, 07:42 PM
1 year contract for mature aged ruckman for injury cover?

Would hope one of Roughy or Cordy would be established enough to play no 2 to Minson in 2013.

soupman
30-11-2011, 08:12 PM
1 year contract for mature aged ruckman for injury cover?

Would hope one of Roughy or Cordy would be established enough to play no 2 to Minson in 2013.

You would think that if we felt we needed a depth ruck we would have taken one in the draft.

Surely the options now are:

A mature age player who fills the gap Schofield leaving leaves (a half-back type with a bit of pace)

or

The next best young prospect we see available.

The only positive of it being Schofield is that due to his position being easily covered we aren't limited in who we pick like we would have been had it been say Roughead.

Cyberdoggie
01-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Will there be a Willy experiment this year?

Rookie or PSD and who might it be?

Bulldog Revolution
01-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Best available kid - probably an emerging Lindsay Gilbee

The Coon Dog
01-12-2011, 09:59 AM
My gut feeling is that there is someone we want who we feel we may not be able to get in the rookie draft, or there are 2 we want & the best way of ensuring it is to get one in the PSD & the other in the rookie draft, hence the decision to delist Schofield yesterday.

LostDoggy
01-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Still like us to fill up on potential tall to KP defenders. Save the mature aged and young ruckman for the rookie draft where they provide cover only if a Minson/Roughead goes down.

Desipura
01-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Sam O'Dwyer from Port Melbourne is one player worth considering IMHO. Has pace and can deliver it.

stefoid
01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
So let me get this straight - anyone can nominate for the pre-season draft? At all? And the only dif between it and the rookie draft is that the player in the PSD goes onto the main list instead of the rookie lsit, so its better for the player, right?

So am I to assume that anyone in the rookie draft will also be in the PSD, and the PSD is held first?

Because the PSD seems kind of redundant - like a mini-national draft. I assume it only exists because of the timing of delistings so that players that are cut from a list after the ND have a chance to get back onto a list without having to be rookied?

bulldogtragic
01-12-2011, 01:15 PM
So let me get this straight - anyone can nominate for the pre-season draft? At all? And the only dif between it and the rookie draft is that the player in the PSD goes onto the main list instead of the rookie lsit, so its better for the player, right?

So am I to assume that anyone in the rookie draft will also be in the PSD, and the PSD is held first?

Because the PSD seems kind of redundant - like a mini-national draft. I assume it only exists because of the timing of delistings so that players that are cut from a list after the ND have a chance to get back onto a list without having to be rookied?
about right.

Ghost Dog
01-12-2011, 02:10 PM
complex!

LostDoggy
01-12-2011, 04:27 PM
A PSD selection was unexpected with the selected player going directly onto our senior list, and therefore may have to contradict the logic of our planned rookie draft selections.

The PSD selection is approx. 25 selections ahead of our first rookie selction (which I believe is #22).
Therefore we will have access to a number of players we wouldn't have expected to be available for our first rookie selection.

I believe we can cover the loss of Schofield with our current list, so therefore the PSD selection must fill a specific need, or the best player available (irrespective of size or position).

Filling the 'void' on our list earlier (with a player we thought would be out of reach) may allow us take more risks with the rookie selections.
eg. Frost in the PSD, with possibly Zyrus Manson (yes, I did say a risk), or Jackson Coleman.

Desipura
01-12-2011, 04:31 PM
A PSD selection was unexpected with the selected player going directly onto our senior list, and therefore may have to contradict the logic of our planned rookie draft selections.

The PSD selection is approx. 25 selections ahead of our first rookie selction (which I believe is #22).
Therefore we will have access to a number of players we wouldn't have expected to be available for our first rookie selection.

I believe we can cover the loss of Schofield with our current list, so therefore the PSD selection must fill a specific need, or the best player available (irrespective of size or position).

Filling the 'void' on our list earlier (with a player we thought would be out of reach) may allow us take more risks with the rookie selections.
eg. Frost in the PSD, with possibly Zyrus Manson (yes, I did say a risk), or Jackson Coleman.
We do not rate this kid so we wont be looking at him.

LostDoggy
01-12-2011, 04:43 PM

Sorry if I sound narky, but by “we” do you refer to the recruiting staff or yourself? Has somebody in the club said something to you about him?

LostDoggy
01-12-2011, 05:42 PM

We can all have options on whom we draft - most of us aren't close to the club - and therefore we often base our options on what we've read or heard (other peoples views).

I don't have a preference on a specific player we draft - I've only used an example of some who have contrasting drafting reports.

If we had only 2 rookie selections, we must make both of them count, if we had 4 selections we can gamble a little, when have a total of 5 selections we can afford to seek the 'rough diamond'.

bulldogtragic
01-12-2011, 05:42 PM
MVP in the mock draft:

With Pick 29, the Fremantle Dockers select Sam Frost from the Sandy Dragons/VM.

Out of all the KPD's in the draft, Frost is by far the most athletic and perhaps the most audacious in his willingness to take on the opposition with run. With McPharlin, Johnson, Faulkes and Silvagni all ahead of him as KPD's, the Dockers can afford for Frost to play 12-18months of WAFL footy before being thrown to the Lions in 2013 when Grover retires.

Excited and surprised he is still on the board. Oh yeah - 194cm - 87kg.

Mike would you take him in the PSD?

bulldogtragic
01-12-2011, 05:50 PM
From the AFL website:

Name: Sam Frost
Club: Sandringham Dragons, Victoria
Date of birth: 28/08/93
Height: 194cm
Weight: 84kg
Draft range: 25-35

NAB AFL Draft Combine: Frost picked up a hip injury in the TAC Cup Grand Final and was unable to take part in any physical testing at this year's combine.

Jason Phelan says: Frost is an intriguing draft prospect. Given his volleyball background and athleticism, he has plenty of upside and is already capable of some eye-catching displays in a key defensive post. Frost provided a tantalising glimpse of the future when playing for Vic Metro against Vic Country at Etihad Stadium - showing courage to gather the ball in traffic, then burstiong away from the pack and delivering by foot to a teammate further afield. He'll need to continue to work on his kicking, but Frost is a real diamond in the rough.

Kevin Sheahan says: Frost averaged 14 disposals at the national U18 championships. A hard runner who loves to back himself, he is very good overhead and has a huge leap. From Wesley College.

In his own words: I'm a competitive, athletic player. I can play forward, back and ruck and like to run and carry.

bulldogtragic
01-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Would we even consider Lovett with all his baggage, despite talent? Just posing the question...

Dazza
01-12-2011, 06:29 PM
On ability and needs he'd be a shoe in.

The no dickhead policy will rule him out. Plus he's 30.

divvydan
01-12-2011, 06:50 PM

This is all correct. One thing is that the PSD and Rookie Draft used to be quite different up until the last couple of years. Previously, Rookie Drafts were only for those who were 18 by Dec 31st and not over 21 (with exceptions for those never on an AFL list) and the PSD was for everyone but mainly used for those who couldn't be rookied.

Now that everyone who nominates for the ND or is delisted by their club is eligible for the Rookie Draft, the PSD really only serves as a way for someone to nominate their own financial terms and if they think they'll get to the club they want this way rather than the ND. Other than that, it's really just an extension of the Rookie Draft now.

GVGjr
01-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Sam O'Dwyer from Port Melbourne is one player worth considering IMHO. Has pace and can deliver it.

He would be a great addition.

anfo27
01-12-2011, 09:37 PM
He would be a great addition.

How old is Sam?

Desipura
02-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Sorry if I sound narky, but by “we” do you refer to the recruiting staff or yourself? Has somebody in the club said something to you about him?

I cannot give my opinion as I have not seen him play.

Axe Man
02-12-2011, 10:04 AM
On ability and needs he'd be a shoe in.

The no dickhead policy will rule him out. Plus he's 30.

Andrew Lovett has just turned 29, you would think he would probably have at least 3 years left given his time out from footy. Only his character and off field issues would stop him from being picked up.

How old is Sam?

Sam Dwyer is 25 according to the Port Melbourne website.

stefoid
02-12-2011, 11:36 AM
well, here we go - someone has done a writeup:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=893933

Chris seems a bit obsessed with us taking tall defenders. Would anyone at all be interseted in Austin besides us? We were obviously planning to rookie him for depth (if at all), and I dont see that Schofields departure should change that.

Similarly, if we do take a backup ruck, there is no reason to put them on the main list either - we wont need any key defenders or rucks unless someone is injured, and then a rookie can be promoted.

I hope we go with the best available mature age player in the PSD, which hopefully will be a mid with good skills and a bit of toe.

Mofra
02-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Similarly, if we do take a backup ruck, there is no reason to put them on the main list either - we wont need any key defenders or rucks unless someone is injured, and then a rookie can be promoted.
I can think of a couple:

- As a mature ager, we are only obliged to give them a 1 year contract
- If our rucks go down and nobody is on the LTI list (ie no injuries 8 weeks or longer), we can't promote a rookie for cover

GVGjr
03-12-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm not sure of the players we might target for the PSD but we lost a small running defender and if we think our list is balanced then that is the type of player we should go for.

I'd like to get someone with a bit of experience for this pick but it's very hard to predict what we will do.

ledge
03-12-2011, 11:57 AM
I watched Spurr I like what he does and he is a goer but seems lightly built, I question why he hasnt made it before, does he have a fatal flaw?

The Adelaide Connection
03-12-2011, 12:49 PM
I watched Spurr I like what he does and he is a goer but seems lightly built, I question why he hasnt made it before, does he have a fatal flaw?

If he does he is doing bloody well to hide it. If you can you should download a copy of the 2011 Sanfl grand final. I think there are lots of YouTube highlight videos, but I think it is hard to gauge from a players best snippets only.

I think, like Paul Thomas in the Centrals team, that they missed that initial window and that was it. It is just lucky for him that the mindset has changed and clubs are now willing to take older players. Paul Thomas needed it to happen maybe 4 or 5 years earlier.

LostDoggy
08-12-2011, 09:36 AM
So the previously listed AFL players nominating for the PSD draft are;

McCarthy, Davis, Dawson, Collier, Anthony Long (Ess), Trent Stubbs (Coll)

Any interest?

Seems McCarthy and Dawson are out of the equation as they have homes.

OLD SCRAGGer
08-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Looks like we get PICK 11 in PSD.. last pock!!!

The Coon Dog
08-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Tweets from Patrick Keane at the AFL:

The AFL has determined that six teams are eligible to participate in the Pre-Season Draft.

Selection order is 1 – GWS; 2 - GWS; 3 - GWS; 4 - GWS; 5 - GWS; 6 - GWS; 7 - Suns; 8 - Power; 9 - Tigers; 10 - Dockers; 11 - Bulldogs.

The Underdog
08-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Tweets from Patrick Keane at the AFL:

The AFL has determined that six teams are eligible to participate in the Pre-Season Draft.

Selection order is 1 – GWS; 2 - GWS; 3 - GWS; 4 - GWS; 5 - GWS; 6 - GWS; 7 - Suns; 8 - Power; 9 - Tigers; 10 - Dockers; 11 - Bulldogs.

How the *!*!*!*! does that work? This is beyond the joke

The Bulldogs Bite
08-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Unbelievablem huh?

I hate the AFL.

It's become a shit game. I'm only interested in the Dogs these days.

bornadog
08-12-2011, 05:52 PM

Unbelievablem huh?

I hate the AFL.

It's become a shit game. I'm only interested in the Dogs these days.

Why do you say that?

The order is the same as the National Draft with the teams that don't have a pick taken out.

The Underdog
08-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Why do you say that?

The order is the same as the National Draft with the teams that don't have a pick taken out.

My understanding was that the extra 5 GWS picks would come after the other teams. It seems ridiculous that they get the first 6 picks in the PSD.

bornadog
08-12-2011, 06:04 PM
My understanding was that the extra 5 GWS picks would come after the other teams. It seems ridiculous that they get the first 6 picks in the PSD.

Ok, I have never seen that written anywhere, but the way it is makes more sense even though I hate it.

Greystache
08-12-2011, 06:19 PM

Why do you say that? GWS are hardly going to load up on PSD picks which are effectively pick 80+, they have loaded their list with all the first round picks they had in the ND. I'd be surprised if they took anything more than a couple of recycled veterans that they've already committed to. The other clubs aren't going to be missing out here.

Sockeye Salmon
08-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Why do you say that? GWS are hardly going to load up on PSD picks which are effectively pick 80+, they have loaded their list with all the first round picks they had in the ND. I'd be surprised if they took anything more than a couple of recycled veterans that they've already committed to. The other clubs aren't going to be missing out here.

Didn't they already take Ward, Scully, Palmer & Davis as PSD picks?

Greystache
08-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Didn't they already take Ward, Scully, Palmer & Davis as PSD picks?

They were uncontracted player signings. I'm referring to drafting players like James McDonald in the PSD.

Sockeye Salmon
09-12-2011, 12:53 AM
They were uncontracted player signings. I'm referring to drafting players like James McDonald in the PSD.

My point was that to pick up an uncontacted player you would normally have to draft them in the PSD so in effect they have already taken 4-5 PSD picks.

Raw Toast
09-12-2011, 01:32 AM
Do we have enough salary cap room to find a place for Leon Davis?

I know this is crazy talk, it's late at night and I'll be asleep in a moment. But if we had the salary room (or a reasonable chance at creating it), I'd at least want the club to have a chat with Davis. I mean he's an AA hbf with excellent run and disposal which would add a heap to our team and could be worth a couple of extra wins. If he was interested, I'd take him for a year with a mutual option for a second year based on kpi's.

Remi Moses
09-12-2011, 02:16 AM
Brendan Fevola if we can broker an arrangement from his management team The Herald Sun.
Like Sam Dwyer personally.

The Underdog
09-12-2011, 08:51 AM

They took McDonald in the draft already. I know it's not that big a deal but I don't understand why if they've passed on these picks in the main draft they get to have them before the other teams have theirs. I guess I'm just sick of all of this manufactured team bullshit and the AFL administration in general.

Ghost Dog
09-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Looks like we are after an untried kid, according to theAGE.

By the by, The herald sun has plenty of nicknames ( the scum, the hun ) how about the age? anyone know of any?

azabob
09-12-2011, 09:22 AM

By the by, The herald sun has plenty of nicknames ( the scum, the hun ) how about the age? anyone know of any?

Not the age, but my old man always calls the sun the current bun.

LostDoggy
09-12-2011, 09:27 AM

How about the "cumbersome tablecloth you need a to lay out on a double bed to read"?

Why it hasn't gone tabloid size i'll never know. If it did it'd put an end to the Herald Sun.

strebla
09-12-2011, 11:13 AM

The two I have heard are the "aged" and the red rag obviously from feral hun readers not overly clever but who am I to judge.

KT31
09-12-2011, 11:57 PM
At work we called the Age the "Hoggers", for the simple reason it took up most of the space on the table.