PDA

View Full Version : Leon Davis - hand overplayed?

Bulldog Revolution
01-12-2011, 09:53 AM
So Leon is being faced with a massive pay cut to stay in the AFL - for Port to throw him a lifeline

Did he not leave Collingwood basically because he didn't want a pay cut? Wasn't that the hidden subtext of his decision, that there would be more money in SA or WA so that he could keep playing.

Has his management and him completely stuffed this up?

LostDoggy
01-12-2011, 11:43 AM
So Leon is being faced with a massive pay cut to stay in the AFL - for Port to throw him a lifeline

Did he not leave Collingwood basically because he didn't want a pay cut? Wasn't that the hidden subtext of his decision, that there would be more money in SA or WA so that he could keep playing.

Has his management and him completely stuffed this up?

Every gamble has its opportunity and its risk.

divvydan
01-12-2011, 12:33 PM
This was one of the few cases that genuinely wasn't about money. He was okay with giving up AFL for family. He'll go back to WA and play WAFL with Swan Districts and be a happy man.

Sockeye Salmon
01-12-2011, 02:12 PM
This was one of the few cases that genuinely wasn't about money. He was okay with giving up AFL for family. He'll go back to WA and play WAFL with Swan Districts and be a happy man.

Except Swan Districts can't fit him in under their salary cap either.

Bulldog Revolution
01-12-2011, 02:23 PM

Was it really?

I thought he'd floated that excuse for years, and this might actually be far more a financially motivated move from the Pies

DragzLS1
01-12-2011, 04:51 PM
I thought it was the fact that the pies cut his salary that he wanted to leave. Not the fact that he was getting less money its more of the principle if you get what I mean.

e.g I dont care if my little sister takes money from my wallet to go to the milkbar, but if she doesnt ask me before taking any I will crack it and wont give her money next time she wants to go. (Yes that was a shitty example but you get the picture) its about respect, not the money.

The Adelaide Connection
01-12-2011, 11:48 PM
I thought it was the fact that the pies cut his salary that he wanted to leave. Not the fact that he was getting less money its more of the principle if you get what I mean.

e.g I dont care if my little sister takes money from my wallet to go to the milkbar, but if she doesnt ask me before taking any I will crack it and wont give her money next time she wants to go. (Yes that was a shitty example but you get the picture) its about respect, not the money.

Man you hold grudges, weren't milkbars back in the 50's or something? :)

DragzLS1
02-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Man you hold grudges, weren't milkbars back in the 50's or something? :)

Haha I'm born in 88 so I jave no idea about the 50's but no I don't hold grudges im actually very opposite to that example lol it was an example I was trying to give but man was it poor..

KT31
04-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Haha I'm born in 88 so I jave no idea about the 50's but no I don't hold grudges im actually very opposite to that example lol it was an example I was trying to give but man was it poor..

Now days your sister just has to wave your credit card over the eftos machine or type the details into E-Bay.

mjp
04-12-2011, 10:29 PM

This is 100% about money.

Ghost Dog
04-12-2011, 11:56 PM
This is 100% about money.

How do you know?

mjp
05-12-2011, 03:04 PM
How do you know?

Sometimes GD you are just going to have to trust me.

Maddog37
05-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Sometimes GD you are just going to have to trust me.

I find it very easy to trust you on this one MJP. This to me is one of the first cracks in the Magpie wall.

Bulldog4life
06-12-2011, 02:36 PM
I find it very easy to trust you on this one MJP. This to me is one of the first cracks in the Magpie wall.

It will be interesting to see if any other "cracks" appear when about 8 or 9 Collingwood players come out of contract at the end of 2012.

LostDoggy
06-12-2011, 04:55 PM
It will be interesting to see if any other "cracks" appear when about 8 or 9 Collingwood players come out of contract at the end of 2012.

With the AFL's policing of the salary cap amounting to telling reporters “no comment” whenever the media catches somebody flouting the rules, I wouldn't count on it.