PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs paraphernalia – waste, videos thumbs up

PedroArvy
02-12-2011, 04:37 PM
I was looking at my Bulldogs membership magazine this week and had a few thoughts. I pay a measly $185 for my membership (or whatever the sum is) and for this I receive a few magazines, a hat, lots of other mail.

What does this stuff cost to produce?

If there was a little box saying:

“Receive membership paraphernalia” I would tick no and save the club some money. I imagine that sum would be a third of my membership.

I do like the little videos of club life on www.westernbulldogs.com.au (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au) though. They are much more interesting than the PR clichés in the mag. I don’t care if they aren’t super slick, those sought of insights into what these guys actually do is interesting to me.

Anyone agree?

BulldogBelle
02-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Helping the club to save money is always a good thing

An opt out to recieving "The Bulldog" or the annual cap, stickers etc may suit some members

The Age had an article yesterday or today whereby the Saints have cried out that the Etihad deal has cost them so much money they have had to resort to not sending their members scarfs now, and were saving $400k as a result

With an additional $400k we could employ another 1 or 2 very decent support staff members

ledge
02-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Its a win/win situation, even if its only a few supporters its money saved.
Have you put this to the club?

EasternWest
02-12-2011, 07:31 PM
I was looking at my Bulldogs membership magazine this week and had a few thoughts. I pay a measly $185 for my membership (or whatever the sum is) and for this I receive a few magazines, a hat, lots of other mail.

What does this stuff cost to produce?

If there was a little box saying:

“Receive membership paraphernalia” I would tick no and save the club some money. I imagine that sum would be a third of my membership.

I do like the little videos of club life on www.westernbulldogs.com.au (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au) though. They are much more interesting than the PR clichés in the mag. I don’t care if they aren’t super slick, those sought of insights into what these guys actually do is interesting to me.

Anyone agree?

Agree 100%. This has been brought up a number of times in the past. All I want is my membership card.

There should definitely be an opt out for the rest.

Desipura
02-12-2011, 10:29 PM
As a kid I used to love the calendars with the players doing a handball pose (like the scanlens footy cards). Wish they would bring them back.
Also the brown plastic commonwealth bank footy money boxes, I think it was the cba.

PedroArvy
02-12-2011, 11:13 PM
I will be putting this to the club. I was interested in the response here and will cite this post as a reference.

AndrewP6
02-12-2011, 11:18 PM
I think you make a valid and interesting point Pedro. I personally like to get the assortment of crap...er, 'paraphernalia" :) , so I would elect to continue to receive it. But I'm sure the notion of being able to politely decline it would be taken up by quite a few.

Hotdog60
02-12-2011, 11:48 PM
I like the members pin and hat, as for the rest I could go without.

chef
03-12-2011, 08:35 AM
As a kid I used to love the calendars with the players doing a handball pose (like the scanlens footy cards). Wish they would bring them back.
Also the brown plastic commonwealth bank footy money boxes, I think it was the cba.

Our calendar this year had Harbrow on it for November. I had to resort to cutting out Murphy's head(from a previous month) and pasting on Jarrod's body. I am sure Ward will be it next year.

azabob
03-12-2011, 11:15 AM
I will be putting this to the club. I was interested in the response here and will cite this post as a reference.

Pedro I contacted the club a few years back with the same thought but a little bit different, my hat, scarf etc would be donated to kids in the local area who are under privileged who cannot afford to wear the club colours.

However I didn't get a response.

Good luck.

Prince Imperial
03-12-2011, 12:44 PM
I would support a "members kit" approach like Collingwood and St Kilda have where you have to select whether you want a scarf, hat etc and pay an additional amount.

However, I don't agree that the magazine should be optional. It's filled with advertising for our sponsors who pay for this as part of their sponsorship. Further it's good propaganda for the club alerting members about changes and promoting features of the club (e.g. the Bulldog Shop, the Peninsula Club etc). It helps in making members all feel part of the club and to encourage them to continue their financial commitment.

LostDoggy
05-12-2011, 10:30 AM
I'd like to opt out of getting phone calls flogging raffle tickets for $200.

As for the rest they'd have a bulk contract with the production companies so some members opting out would likely not save the club much, if any, money.

LostDoggy
05-12-2011, 10:43 AM
I'd like to opt out of getting phone calls flogging raffle tickets for $200.

As for the rest they'd have a bulk contract with the production companies so some members opting out would likely not save the club much, if any, money.

Agree - although a call selling $20 raffle tickets might be more welcomed. $200 is a bit overboard IMO. I would buy 3 tickets or so at $20 each as opposed to turning down the $200 and giving them nothing.

LostDoggy
05-12-2011, 11:01 AM
It's called communication

OLD SCRAGGer
05-12-2011, 11:16 AM
I LOVE the scarf, but not so much the hat

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
05-12-2011, 12:29 PM
I gave all of my hats to the tuk-tuk drivers outside my hotel in Cambodia. I think an opt out box to tick is a good idea.

LostDoggy
05-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Our calendar this year had Harbrow on it for November. I had to resort to cutting out Murphy's head(from a previous month) and pasting on Jarrod's body. I am sure Ward will be it next year.

Ward is in next years, i recieved one for my birthday from an auntie and Ward is July!

LostDoggy
05-12-2011, 01:25 PM
When you are getting promotional products made up, the more you order the cheaper they are, so members opting out would actually cost the club more per item. The only way they can save money on them is to 1) not do them or 2) sell more memberships. Collingwood would have theirs made up far cheaper than ours, for example.

KT31
05-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Ward is in next years, i recieved one for my birthday from an auntie and Ward is July!

Bonus, calendar and dart board all in one.:D

Dancin' Douggy
05-12-2011, 07:26 PM
When you are getting promotional products made up, the more you order the cheaper they are, so members opting out would actually cost the club more per item. The only way they can save money on them is to 1) not do them or 2) sell more memberships. Collingwood would have theirs made up far cheaper than ours, for example.

Here is the classic problem with capitalism and progress.
It's actually cheaper for the club to send me stuff I don't even want than for me to 'opt out'.

I just see the waste and consumption.
Every time my kids do anything they get a free drink bottle and cap and etc etc.

I'd like to see a 'green option' where I just get the membership and nothing else.

Thought that might even be cheaper? but no...... financial logic tells us the green option would cost the club MORE.

The human race is doomed.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
06-12-2011, 08:49 AM

Gold

LostDoggy
06-12-2011, 11:10 AM

Where's the "LIKE" button! ;)

Bulldog4life
06-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Pedro I contacted the club a few years back with the same thought but a little bit different, my hat, scarf etc would be donated to kids in the local area who are under privileged who cannot afford to wear the club colours.

However I didn't get a response.

Good luck.

Over the years my wife and I have selectively given away caps and scarves to potential Bulldog supporters/members. It has proved positive a number of times with the recipient buying a membership.

KT31
06-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Over the years my wife and I have selectively given away caps and scarves to potential Bulldog supporters/members. It has proved positive a number of times with the recipient buying a membership.

As I have mentioned in a previous thread I have given the excess caps and scarves to my mates kids.
Much to a couple of mates disgust (who get dragged to Doggies games and not their own teams.), we now have a couple of new members and some potential members.:)

LostDoggy
06-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Here is the classic problem with capitalism and progress.
It's actually cheaper for the club to send me stuff I don't even want than for me to 'opt out'.

I just see the waste and consumption.
Every time my kids do anything they get a free drink bottle and cap and etc etc.

I'd like to see a 'green option' where I just get the membership and nothing else.

Thought that might even be cheaper? but no...... financial logic tells us the green option would cost the club MORE.

The human race is doomed.

The real cost in producing these items is in setting up the dies/printing plates/patterns/etc. The actual item costs peanuts, it's putting your logo or design on the item that costs money. So, the set up cost is the same whether you print 1 or 10,000. And that's why it costs more (per item) to make less items.

Bulldog4life
07-12-2011, 12:03 AM
As I have mentioned in a previous thread I have given the excess caps and scarves to my mates kids.
Much to a couple of mates disgust (who get dragged to Doggies games and not their own teams.), we now have a couple of new members and some potential members.:)

Good job. Maybe that's why the Club is so generous with their extras.:)

Dancin' Douggy
07-12-2011, 12:56 AM
The real cost in producing these items is in setting up the dies/printing plates/patterns/etc. The actual item costs peanuts, it's putting your logo or design on the item that costs money. So, the set up cost is the same whether you print 1 or 10,000. And that's why it costs more (per item) to make less items.

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!
I'm just talking about the frivolous consumption of resources.
Plastic crap that will just end up in the tip or floating around in the ocean.

LostDoggy
07-12-2011, 09:44 AM
I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!
I'm just talking about the frivolous consumption of resources.
Plastic crap that will just end up in the tip or floating around in the ocean.

I didn't mean to patronise you, sorry. But it's got little to do with capitalism, that's my point.

strebla
08-12-2011, 11:27 AM
I get 4 sets each year my boys get one each and the other two go to local kids who follow the dogs but don't have a membership.I gave away an old footy jumper last year that didn't fit and the boys mum told me he was so wrapped he slept in it which made my day.I can understand where you are comming from DD but just try and make the best of what you get mate even though its a complete pain.

bornadog
08-12-2011, 02:30 PM
I get 4 sets each year my boys get one each and the other two go to local kids who follow the dogs but don't have a membership.I gave away an old footy jumper last year that didn't fit and the boys mum told me he was so wrapped he slept in it which made my day.I can understand where you are comming from DD but just try and make the best of what you get mate even though its a complete pain.

Yes I try to give away to kids as much as possible and if it helps them become Bulldogs supporters thats even better.

Murphy'sLore
08-12-2011, 02:31 PM
I would still like a bumper sticker that doesn't fade in the first week.

The Coon Dog
08-12-2011, 02:39 PM

Agree.

LostDoggy
08-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Agree.

I've noticed the other clubs' stickers do that as well, and it's generally the red more than the blue.

KT31
08-12-2011, 08:10 PM

You used to be able to get one that stuck to the inside of the window.
I had one on my first car and it still hadn't faded when I traded it in 3 years later.

jazzadogs
08-12-2011, 08:21 PM
I had one on my first car and it still hadn't faded when I traded it in 3 years later.
Global warming, the sun wasn't as hot back then :p

bornadog
09-12-2011, 09:41 AM
I had one on my first car and it still hadn't faded when I traded it in 3 years ago.

SS said you put that on your EJ Holden in 1964, the car and sticker did last:D