PDA

View Full Version : Less is more for the Bulldogs

The Coon Dog
08-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Sam Edmund - Herald Sun - 8 December

THE Western Bulldogs have vowed to continue fighting above their financial weight division, firm in the belief you don't have to spend big to win big.

The Dogs, who launch their membership campaign "The Western Front" today, have long been among the lowest-spending clubs when it comes to the football department, despite making consecutive preliminary finals from 2008-2010.

The Bulldogs outlaid $14.7 million this year, more than $4 million less than premier Geelong ($18.8 million).

Chief executive Simon Garlick said new coach Brendan McCartney and his team would receive a "reasonably significant" increase, but stressed the Bulldogs didn't believe in buying premierships.

"I think from a wider perspective we understand the importance of increasing that spend and giving our club and our players every opportunity, but we certainly don't subscribe to the theory that whoever spends the most wins," Garlick said yesterday.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/less-is-more-for-the-bulldogs/story-e6frf9jf-1226216761759)

Ghost Dog
08-12-2011, 10:19 AM
What time is the movie at the sun?>

bornadog
08-12-2011, 11:12 AM
I would love to buy a premiership.

Murphy'sLore
08-12-2011, 11:27 AM
What time is the movie at the sun?>

11.30 this morning according to the website.

LostDoggy
08-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Agreed
Carlton cheated, north bought in the 70s, wce had drug years, swans got a hand up from the afl yet no one cares as they won premierships and none were removed.

Same goes for game style. Who cares how 'attractive' we play it's about winning to me.

LostDoggy
08-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Agreed
Carlton cheated, north bought in the 70s, wce had drug years, swans got a hand up from the afl yet no one cares as they won premierships and none were removed.

Same goes for game style. Who cares how 'attractive' we play it's about winning to me.

Nope. We may have to wait a hell of a lot longer, but it'll be a hell of a lot sweeter on the day. If you're going to win something, you win it through hard work, not easy shortcuts.

Ghost Dog
08-12-2011, 02:06 PM

Really??? :confused:

bornadog
08-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Nope. We may have to wait a hell of a lot longer, but it'll be a hell of a lot sweeter on the day. If you're going to win something, you win it through hard work, not easy shortcuts.

Really??? :confused:

Yes really, I have been waiting a long time. I was born after 1954 and very few of us saw that one or even the 1961 attempt. I don't care how we get there (except cheating of course).

DragzLS1
08-12-2011, 03:04 PM

Agreed! You would rather do it the right way!
Then you can tell all the others to stick it where the sun dont shine coz we didnt buy our premiership, we earnt it ;) I would rather win 1 in my life time then 10 shortcut premierships!

would you rather sleep with 5 fat ugly women over a 30 year period? or 1 gorgeous women over a 30 year period! I know what I would pick :)

Peace

Sockeye Salmon
08-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Then you can tell all the others to stick it where the sun dont shine coz we didnt buy our premiership, we earnt it ;) I would rather win 1 in my life time then 10 shortcut premierships!

would you rather sleep with 5 fat ugly women over a 30 year period? or 1 gorgeous women over a 30 year period! I know what I would pick :)

Peace

After 30 years the ugly ones would be looking like gorgeous ones

Greystache
08-12-2011, 04:29 PM

Peace

It terrify's me that some of our supporters have this view. I hope like hell no one associated with the club ever feels the same.

I just don't see the glory in wanting to be a battler. Personally I'd prefer to make a century with a couple of nicks through the slips and being bowled off a no-ball, than to make a gritty 30 that no one remembers.

LostDoggy
08-12-2011, 04:39 PM

Hehe. Nice oneā€¦

It terrify's me that some of our supporters have this view. I hope like hell no one associated with the club ever feels the same.

I just don't see the glory in wanting to be a battler. Personally I'd prefer to make a century with a couple of nicks through the slips and being bowled off a no-ball, than to make a gritty 30 that no one remembers.

We don't want to be a battler. We just want to earn something fairly. It's called sport. It terrifies me that a lot of people feel that winning justifies itself no matter what. Simply not true.

DragzLS1
08-12-2011, 05:26 PM

Lol very nice come back ill have to wait and see..

I dont have anything against us spending more on facilities ect.. but if we are going to put our club in a massive debt (alot bigger then what we are already in) then I would rather be a battler as you put it.. Flags dont bring money or members, just look at port and north for example.. We have not won a flag for a hell of a lot longer then all of them, but man the battle would be worth the wait.

I here what everybody is saying, and yes I would love to see a premiership sooner rather then later, but the fact of the matter is I will still support this club no matter what. Just dont think that winning at all costs is worth it in the long run. Would rather work our way up to it, rather then throw all this cash just to win 1 next year, when we can wait another 5 to build it up.

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-12-2011, 05:46 PM

I dont have anything against us spending more on facilities ect.. but if we are going to put our club in a massive debt (alot bigger then what we are already in) then I would rather be a battler as you put it.. Flags dont bring money or members, just look at port and north for example.. We have not won a flag for a hell of a lot longer then all of them, but man the battle would be worth the wait.

I here what everybody is saying, and yes I would love to see a premiership sooner rather then later, but the fact of the matter is I will still support this club no matter what. Just dont think that winning at all costs is worth it in the long run. Would rather work our way up to it, rather then throw all this cash just to win 1 next year, when we can wait another 5 to build it up.

Given our relatively small membership base and ongoing financial struggles, I cannot imagine us buying a flag in the foreseeable future. The challenge is to develop a club good enough to make grand finals rather than falling short as experienced in recent years. Compared to teams like Geelong and Collingwood our lack of depth has been a major factor. Whether the current list is good enough remains to be seen. The loss of proven players like Harbrow and Ward hasn't helped which perhaps highlights our vulnerability.

bornadog
08-12-2011, 05:54 PM

I dont have anything against us spending more on facilities ect.. but if we are going to put our club in a massive debt (alot bigger then what we are already in) then I would rather be a battler as you put it..

No one said to put us at risk of not being viable, just said I would love to have a premiership and if we could buy one I will take that.

Ghost Dog
08-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Yes really, I have been waiting a long time. I was born after 1954 and very few of us saw that one or even the 1961 attempt. I don't care how we get there (except cheating of course).

Um...with respect, so buying a flag is not cheating?...just to clarify.,

Ghost Dog
08-12-2011, 06:00 PM

DragzLS1..I love your work. If this were facebook, I would be pressing 'like' with great enthusiasm.

bornadog
08-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Sam Edmund - Herald Sun - 8 December

Chief executive Simon Garlick said new coach Brendan McCartney and his team would receive a "reasonably significant" increase, but stressed the Bulldogs didn't believe in buying premierships.

Um...with respect, so buying a flag is not cheating?...just to clarify.,

How is it cheating?

jazzadogs
08-12-2011, 06:47 PM
How is it cheating?
I think using the word 'buying' makes it sound like it's cheating.

Spending more money on the footy department is not cheating, but by 'buying' more resources, staff and facilities we are placing ourselves in a better position to be competitive.

LostDoggy
08-12-2011, 07:54 PM

Peace

Not sure how you compare premierships and women. Premierships are all counted the same.

There are many of us that have a lifetime already and haven't seen one. We are trying to win just 1 now, let alone 10.

Not sure how paying more is a shortcut?

chef
08-12-2011, 07:55 PM

Me too, personally I don't care how we get it.

Maddog37
08-12-2011, 08:04 PM
I would rather win one than not but not if it means selling our soul. Unfortunately footy is all about the money even at grass roots level.

the banker
09-12-2011, 02:15 AM
What's wrong with spending more money to get a result? Not interested in cheating in the Carlton way but if we could spend more on the football department and recruit an A grader or two using borderline strategy I wouldn't hesitate. This is hardly a shortcut. Don't get corrupted with ambition but be fierce and determined competitors who will not let other administrations out wit or out deal us. Resources may limit our ability to achieve every result but it should not effect our attitude.

LostDoggy
09-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Not sure how you compare premierships and women. Premierships are all counted the same.

There are many of us that have a lifetime already and haven't seen one. We are trying to win just 1 now, let alone 10.

Not sure how paying more is a shortcut?

This desperation is a negative; a monkey on the backs of everybody who pulls on the guernsey. I've gone my lifetime too, mate, but as long as we're improving on- and off-field I'm happy. It's worth the wait to do it the right way, and earn the only respect that really matters: self respect.

I would rather win one than not but not if it means selling our soul. Unfortunately footy is all about the money even at grass roots level.

Absolutely agree.

KT31
10-12-2011, 12:03 AM
What's wrong with spending more money to get a result? Not interested in cheating in the Carlton way but if we could spend more on the football department and recruit an A grader or two using borderline strategy I wouldn't hesitate. This is hardly a shortcut. Don't get corrupted with ambition but be fierce and determined competitors who will not let other administrations out wit or out deal us. Resources may limit our ability to achieve every result but it should not effect our attitude.

You have a point, but as I get older and bitterer, I just want a flag.
To many rello's who were members have passed without seeing one and I don't want to be put in the same class.
I could go the high moral ground, but knowing some of the insides of our club and what we have attempted to achieve very little.
Lets just put 100% into winning a flag and then worry about the rest.

GVGjr
10-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Me too, personally I don't care how we get it.

I agree with Maddog. I want to get it the right way.