PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About Judd

The Doctor
12-09-2007, 12:08 PM
In case anyone wasn't aware Chris Judd, the competition's best player, is soon to be out of contract and has put off any contract discussion until the end of the season.

In all the trade speculation involving the Dogs that I've read on here and BF I can hardly recall if there has been any mention that we should make a play for him. I find that staggering. Best player in the comp and hardly a mention???

I can predict the kind of responses I can expect. He'll re-sign with the Eagles...If he wants to come home he'll go to a rich club....Can't afford him....He wouldn't want to come to a club like ours...yadayada.

Why wouldn't he come to a club like ours? I reckon If there is one good thing to come out of the AKER deal is that it opened the doorway to big name players coming to our club.

We will have a fair bit of salary cap space after all these retirements, even more so if the great Chris Grant retires. Regardless of our finish to the season we have a talented and emerging playing group. Off field we are improving every year and the Development of the Whitten oval will only make the place more exciting.

I guess the key will be if we can convince him to come to the Dogs. Again the Aker deal showed that we get some bargaining power once you can convince someone to come. If the Eagles don't deal there is always the PSD and I'd bet anything they wouldn't want to lose their most prized asset for nothing no matter how pig headed they might be.

We can off the Eagles a very high draft pick and a decent player to go with it. I don't think we have to be bent over as much as people might think.

Chris Judd is dynamite and is exactly the kind of player that gets you to premierships as he has proven with the Eagles. And thats what I want to see. A premiership. We may never have this kind of opportunity again. Let's have a crack I say.

What do you good folks think?

Sockeye Salmon
12-09-2007, 12:59 PM
They wouldn't accept anything less than pick 5 and Griffen, and that still might not be enough.

Then after we pay him $1.2 mil a year, we'll lose Cooney and Higgins as well because our salary cap will be shot to pieces.

I'd do it for Brown but not for Judd.

Raw Toast
12-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Good call Doc.

I agree that we'd be negligent not to make some serious enquiries about him. We've got a fair bit of spending money available apparently and Judd is clearly the best player currently out of contract (and certainly in the top two players in the comp for mine).

I'm not sure that those jumping up and down for a kp would be happy with us chasing him hard, but actually this year we found it harder to cover our loss of run than last year when we lost height. And Judd is a contested ball winner and goal-kicker and leader, as well as everything else.

Obviously we'd want to be confident about his ability to regain full-fitness (or something pretty close) and I'd be very very surprised if he really did want to leave but I'd love to have him in the side.

What is a reasonable price? I suspect we'd be happy to give pick 5 and a player, but what player?

Raw Toast
12-09-2007, 01:16 PM
They wouldn't accept anything less than pick 5 and Griffen, and that still might not be enough.

Then after we pay him $1.2 mil a year, we'll lose Cooney and Higgins as well because our salary cap will be shot to pieces.

I'd do it for Brown but not for Judd.

The only way I can see us getting Judd (and it is pie in the sky stuff but fun discussing I reckon) is if he did an Aker and named us as his only destination, which would embitter him to West Coast (another thing which is unlikely).

I'd give pick 5 and Ray but not Griffen, Cooney or Higgins (or Everitt or Williams for that matter). Eagle might also be a sweetner, but Freo is more likely to go for a player like him than the Weagles.

Dry Rot
12-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Interesting question raised here Doc.

Simple question: can we afford him over the next 3 years?

More complex question: IMHO WCE would want Pick #5 and one of Higgins,Griffen or Cooney. Furthermore, IMO we at least 1 or 2 seasons off being serious challengers (need Williams, Everitt etc to develop and a good ruckman). So my question is, would we be better in say year 2 or year 3 if we had Judd but lost pick #5/young KPP and one of Cooney/Griff/Higgins?

Templeton31
12-09-2007, 02:48 PM
I would've thought an offer of pick #5 plus Farren Ray might be possible if Judd had said he wants to come home to Melb.

I guess the broader question though about whether we should go for him or not is a tough one. We are all focussed on KPP etc which is not Judd but as Rocket said last year about Aker - match winners dont come around too often. It certainly would put us in a position where we had noting attractive left to swap for a KPP if pick #5 was sent to the Eagles.

bornadog
12-09-2007, 04:58 PM
We could possibly offer up another Western Australian, like Hargrave (if he wanted to go home) plus Ray plus our second round pick. The only way we could convince him to come to the dogs would be similiar to how we got Aker, ie show off the new facilities plus discuss our list and potential. Judd would not want to go backwards, (forgetting the cash) in terms of playing finals football and having the best facilities to train under.

Looks pie in the sky doesn't it

Sedat
12-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Luke Ball has been a shadow of himself for 3 seasons now; I fear that Judd may go the same way with his groin/OP/adductor/whatever the hell it is. I'd like to see him pass a physical with flying colours before even contemplating such a trade. Not much point having your highest paid player operating at 60% capacity, or worse, sitting out most of the season.

Dry Rot
12-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Fair point - WCE has played him into the ground this year.

Pity about Ball.

DOG GOD
13-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Luke Ball has been a shadow of himself for 3 seasons now; I fear that Judd may go the same way with his groin/OP/adductor/whatever the hell it is. I'd like to see him pass a physical with flying colours before even contemplating such a trade. Not much point having your highest paid player operating at 60% capacity, or worse, sitting out most of the season.

yeah good post sedat...i agree on the judd injury as well regarding Luke Ball. Ball has had problems for a few years now, and i personally cant see him getting back to his best and play consistantly at a high level.

LostDoggy
13-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Interesting comments....geez you guys are a lot of deep thinkers :)

I heard Rocket on SEN tonight and he alluded to the issues that could come down the track of getting into a position to get Judd. Salary cap issues and the inability to hang onto the Griffen/Cooney/Higgins type of players.

Love to have him, but not at the expense of salary cap / list managment pain in future years.

Sockeye Salmon
13-09-2007, 11:59 PM
yeah good post sedat...i agree on the judd injury as well regarding Luke Ball. Ball has had problems for a few years now, and i personally cant see him getting back to his best and play consistantly at a high level.

What do you mean 'getting back to his best'? He's never been an A-grader. Maybe he's never had injury problems, maybe he's just not very good.

The Underdog
14-09-2007, 12:36 AM
As brilliant as he is, I think we'd be better off letting Cooney, Griff, Cross, Higgins develop.
The cost would be too great in both players lost and salary cap space.
I like your thinking about going after the best, and if he ended up with us I don't think anyone would be disappointed, but considering his current injury, I'd be slightly leery about committing that much money to him.
Anyway after last weekend, I'm totally in love with Luke Hodge :o I want one like him

Go_Dogs
14-09-2007, 11:05 AM
If we can get him with an Akermanis type deal, in that he states his intention to come to us and we have a bit more bartering power, it could happen. Certainly wouldn't want to give up one of THE SUPER SIX (Cooney, Griffen, Higgins, Everitt, Ray and Williams).

As much as an explosive ball winner like Judd would compliment our midfield very well and add a lot of class to our mix, I think we need to continue developing our own list and have confidence in the direction we're taking with those key young players.

Twodogs
14-09-2007, 11:32 AM
As brilliant as he is, I think we'd be better off letting Cooney, Griff, Cross, Higgins develop.

I want Judd and those guys.

The Coon Dog
14-09-2007, 11:38 AM

And those in the terraces at the old Gooners stadium of Highbury would be chanting this about you:

"Who's a greedy bastard?"

Twodogs
14-09-2007, 12:28 PM
And those in the terraces at the old Gooners stadium of Highbury would be chanting this about you:

"Who's a greedy bastard?"

"who ate all the pies":D

The Underdog
14-09-2007, 05:57 PM

Next year's dream team already drafting?

DOG GOD
14-09-2007, 07:26 PM
What do you mean 'getting back to his best'? He's never been an A-grader. Maybe he's never had injury problems, maybe he's just not very good.

i dont understand what u are asking? surely u arent saying that ball is a crap player coz that is just B.S For the last 2-3 years ball has been suffering with OP. EVERYONE knows this. Ball is hard at it and will put his body on the line, something i would love some of our mids to do.

Sorry but saying ball isnt any good is laughable.

Topdog
15-09-2007, 09:57 AM
I think pick 5 and Ray is pie in the sky stuff. Ray has never scaled any really great heights and if Judd were out of contract you can bet your bottom dollar that another team would trump that deal.

Sockeye Salmon
15-09-2007, 11:20 AM
i dont understand what u are asking? surely u arent saying that ball is a crap player coz that is just B.S For the last 2-3 years ball has been suffering with OP. EVERYONE knows this. Ball is hard at it and will put his body on the line, something i would love some of our mids to do.

Sorry but saying ball isnt any good is laughable.

All-time over-rated players list

1. Hird J
2. Kelly P
3. Wanganeen G
4. Ball L

As far as I can tell Ball has had OP since his very first game. I'm questioning whether it's not injury but rather he's simply not as good as is made out. I laugh at the "Hawthorn stuffed up taking Hodge before Judd" threads. Hodge is a star, Ball is a battler who can't kick.

Maybe one day Ball will turn into the star he's made out to be, until he does he's just another vanilla midfielder.

LostDoggy
15-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Listening to the talk about Judd coming back to Vic, if it happens it is going to make the trade period very interesting.

There may be a lot of on-trading of picks etc, so whoever has the first few picks may be interested in doing a 3 or 4 way trade. So Kruezer etc may not end up where everyone is speculating.

You would think that West Coast will want at least a premium player & a first rounder. So if we were to do a deal, I can see Griffen being put on the table. (not that I want that, I just reckon thats what the Eagles will ask)

It will be silly season fo the highest order :)

LostDoggy
15-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Cant name one club who wouldnt want Judd.

But.... i dont think id be interested in trading any of our premium players for him. So i dont wanna see our club out in the hunt to get him, unless we get another aker-like deal. But we know that cant happen with Judd.

Cross & Pick #5 for Judd? something you prob couldnt say no to - thoughts?

Sockeye Salmon
15-09-2007, 05:38 PM
I would much rather be the third club involved and take advantage of someone else's desperation to get Judd.

Twodogs
15-09-2007, 05:40 PM
I would much rather be the third club involved and take advantage of someone else's desperation to get Judd.

That's exactly what we should be doing. Getting everyone excited and then offering to help out.

GVGjr
15-09-2007, 05:49 PM
I think a few more trades might slip through this season now that Sheedy isn't around claiming the Bombers were interested in trading only to have a change of heart at the last minute.

southerncross
15-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Cant name one club who wouldnt want Judd.

But.... i dont think id be interested in trading any of our premium players for him. So i dont wanna see our club out in the hunt to get him, unless we get another aker-like deal. But we know that cant happen with Judd.

Cross & Pick #5 for Judd? something you prob couldnt say no to - thoughts?

I honestly think they would want something like Gilbee, Ray and pick 5 for Judd. We might try and squeeze pick 12 off them if we were willing to part with all that but more likely they would top off the offer with a second round selection. It would be a mighty high price to pay but we would be getting a quality player of the highest order.

DOG GOD
15-09-2007, 06:59 PM
cant see judd leaving eagles, and IF he did WCoast would want TWO picks in the top 5.

MrMahatma
16-09-2007, 07:26 AM
We could potentially put the offer on the table to satisfy the Eagles... but I don't think our club is high profile enough to offer Judd what he'd want.

IMO the Blues will get him with pick 3 & Fev.

southerncross
16-09-2007, 08:26 AM
We could potentially put the offer on the table to satisfy the Eagles... but I don't think our club is high profile enough to offer Judd what he'd want.

IMO the Blues will get him with pick 3 & Fev.

Providing Judd decides to vacate the west that's probably the sort of offer that both teams could accept.
I wonder if Judd could make the Blues a genuine finals contender?

DOG GOD
16-09-2007, 10:24 AM
if i was the eagles i would want picks 1 and 3....not fev.

Topdog
16-09-2007, 11:17 AM
As far as I can tell Ball has had OP since his very first game. I'm questioning whether it's not injury but rather he's simply not as good as is made out. I laugh at the "Hawthorn stuffed up taking Hodge before Judd" threads. Hodge is a star, Ball is a battler who can't kick.

Maybe one day Ball will turn into the star he's made out to be, until he does he's just another vanilla midfielder.

There should be a clapping icon on this thing.

Brilliantly said and 100% spot on. Hodge is a much better player than Ball and always will be.

Sockeye Salmon
16-09-2007, 01:01 PM
It's been reported that Carlton are prepared to offer pick 3, pick 20 & Josh Kennedy.

If Collingwood want to get into the game they'll have to go hard as well, but are under the pump because they don't have a low pick to play with.

What about:

Didak > Adelaide
Ben Reid > Dogs
Ray > West Coast
Judd > Collingwood
McGregor > Freo
Murphy > Dogs

Lots of draft picks all over the place

WC
Gain: Pick 5, pick 14 & Ray
Lose: Judd

Coll
Gain: Judd, pick 27
Lose: Didak, Reid, pick 14

Dogs
Gain: Reid, pick 10
Lose: Ray, pick 5

Ade
Gain: Didak
Lose: Pick 10, pick 27

The Underdog
16-09-2007, 01:11 PM
I'd be going straight for pick 1 and 3 and a player if I were WCE.
This is Chris freakin Judd after all

The Doctor
16-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Dogs
Gain: Reid, pick 10
Lose: Ray, pick 5

Don't like it

southerncross
16-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Whats the best offer of players and picks that we could put forth?

The Coon Dog
16-09-2007, 01:47 PM
There should be a clapping icon on this thing.

Brilliantly said and 100% spot on. Hodge is a much better player than Ball and always will be.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2120/clappingjt3.gif

Here you go. :D

Twodogs
16-09-2007, 01:52 PM
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2120/clappingjt3.gif

Here you go. :D

No sound? Shame.

The Underdog
16-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Apparently Judd's coming back to Melbourne.
I'm sure we'll do our duty and talk to his management, although I wouldn't imagine we'd be in the frontrunners.
Oh yeah if you want a laugh, check out the Carlton board on BF. Hilarious trade suggestions (my fave is pick 3 + 20 + Bower, or a straight swap for Fevola) and apparently he's already over the line, just debating whether he should be captain :)

The Coon Dog
16-09-2007, 09:09 PM
JUDD QUITS EAGLES (http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=208&newsId=51199)

From the AFL website:

LIKE so many other AFL clubs in this year of generational change for the competition, West Coast are going to have to say goodbye to a club great.

But unlike James Hird at Essendon, Anthony Koutoufides at Carlton, Mark Ricciuto at Adelaide and Glenn Archer at the Kangaroos, Eagles fans will have to stomach the sight of Chris Judd in someone else's colours next year.

West Coast's pain of surrendering their AFL premiership on Friday night was dwarfed by the news their captain and two-time club champion Judd had decided to return to Victoria after six years in the west.

After months of speculation and consistent refusals by the Eagles skipper to discuss his future publicly, West Coast bosses and coach John Worsfold were told at lunchtime they were losing their best player.

The shock felt in Perth and beyond was immediately clear when talkback callers rang radio stations in tears and high profile fans such as WA cricket coach Tom Moody and boxer Danny Green expressed their shock.

And the curt nature of West Coast's statement confirming their worst fears - "The West Coast Eagles are extremely disappointed with the decision" - spoke more than any number of paragraphs could.

Judd's influence on football in Perth since arriving in the 2001 draft cannot be underestimated.

His image bestrides Subiaco Oval and has to be covered over when Fremantle play their home games there.

Memorabilia of his Brownlow, Norm Smith and premiership medals can be found in any suburban shopping centre in the WA capital.

And what compensation the Eagles may get in a potential trade for Judd will pour buckets of petrol on the off-season rumour mill, although the immediate feeling in Perth was that nothing could make amends.

The bookending of Cousins' suspension at the beginning of the year and Judd's departure of the end makes for one of the most turbulent seasons in the club's 21-year history, despite a top four finish and some memorable moments.

"This year has been like getting put through a meat grinder," one poster on a football website wrote on Sunday.

"Just when you think you've come out the other side ready to go again, you get put straight back in. I feel absolutely shattered."

With Daniel Chick tipped to leave and David Wirrpanda approaching the end of his career, the wind of change blowing through the AFL is also blowing briskly through the Eagles' corridors of power.

dog town
16-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Couldn't agree more on Ball. He is a courageous back pocket who has managed to convince the footy world and two coaches he is an elite onballer. Generally speaking onballers need to be able to get the ball and use it. Ball does these two things rarely unless its either wet or a shit fight. Jordan Mcmahon and Brian Harris had as many disposals this year

Sedat
16-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Ball was superb in 2004, his last season anywhere near 100% full capacity. He was always a notch below Hodge and Judd but he was an elite midfielder of the competiton in that season. He won the B&F and he was a big-time player in that finals series.

Irrespective, Judd's injury may or may not be similar to Ball's. If it is similar and requires constant management and monitoring, then Judd's single greatest weapon, his explosive pace off the mark, will be compromised. How long for is the big question.

southerncross
17-09-2007, 08:09 AM
It's been reported that we are out of the running for Judd.

LostDoggy
17-09-2007, 08:42 AM

I agree Ball is overated but I fear Judd might be a shadow of his former self.
At 22 he looks like an old man. I'd also like to know the full story on why he is leaving WC.
What is it? The Drugs issue? The Fishbowl culture?

I just thought he might be the best player in the league but will we break the bank trying to get him?

For me its too many risks when we are lacking in a number of departments.

Twodogs
17-09-2007, 09:22 AM
I agree Ball is overated but I fear Judd might be a shadow of his former self.
At 22 he looks like an old man. I'd also like to know the full story on why he is leaving WC.
What is it? The Drugs issue? The Fishbowl culture?

I reckon that West Coast are paying thre price now for their inaction against various players at the end of last season/start of this season.

Bulldog Revolution
17-09-2007, 09:25 AM
It's been reported that we are out of the running for Judd.

Thats OK with me, the time to get him was after his previous contract expired - he might still be incredible for the club that does get him, but the price is going to be high

LostDoggy
17-09-2007, 10:19 AM
I reckon that West Coast are paying thre price now for their inaction against various players at the end of last season/start of this season.

Any possiblity he is after a nest egg as he might on the decline?

Twodogs
17-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Any possiblity he is after a nest egg as he might on the decline?

Could have got it from West Coast. Perth is the place to be to make money-I honestly dont think it's about money per se.

Sockeye Salmon
17-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Farren Ray > WC
Jarrod Roughead > Dogs
Robert Campbell > Dogs
Mark Williams > WC
Pick 5 > WC
Chris Judd > Haw

Dry Rot
17-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Doubt that trade would fly but I like the idea of putting our pick 5 into the mix for another club to get Judd, and we get a good young tall already in the system.

dog town
17-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Farren Ray > WC
Jarrod Roughead > Dogs
Robert Campbell > Dogs
Mark Williams > WC
Pick 5 > WC
Chris Judd > Haw Judd leaving has really opened it up for these sort of deals to become a possibility and after seeing the organised way we have done our last two trade periods under Eade I think we can be confident he will be looking into things like this. Having a pretty good first round draft pick also puts us in a good position with clubs trying to trade into the first round. West Coast will likely ask for 2 first round selections if they cant get the players they want so teams like Collingwood, Hawthorn , Essendon , Richmond and just about every other Victorian club will be looking for ways to get that extra first round pick. We certainly wouldn't give it away but if we get the right offer it gives us another bargaining chip to get what we want. I heard a Collingwood supporter this morning suggest this on the radio

Sean Rusling > Dogs
Pick 5 and Pies first pick and Leon Davis > West Coast
Chris Judd > Pies

I certainly dont think Rusling is worth anything like pick 5 but thats the sort of deal we can come into line for now but obviously we would be looking for more. Wonder if we could prize Gumbleton away from the dons?

Twodogs
17-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Sean Rusling > Dogs
Pick 5 and Pies first pick and Leon Davis > West Coast
Chris Judd > Pies

I laughed and laughed when I heard that. Good old Collingwood overrate their players, bless 'em.

dog town
17-09-2007, 11:28 AM
I laughed and laughed when I heard that. Good old Collingwood overrate their players, bless 'em. I like Ruslng but really given his attributes he is about as good as he will ever be and the whole country saw him duck his 3 times in last weeks final. He is a brillaint athlete nut I cant ever see him getting the footy awareness and smarts needed to become an elite forward. If you take Rocca and Cloke out of that forward line he would be under alot more scrutiny.

Gumbleton , Hansen , Reid , Dowler and the like are the sort of guys we should be looking at if we go down that path with either our first round or a swap of picks depending on the player. As I said Judd has opened it right up and clubs cant help but imagine their midfields with him in it. Richmond for example will find it hard to stay out despite the youth policy they are preaching because the prospect of Deledio , Foley and Judd in the same midfield is pretty frightening. I imagine Eade is having the same dilemma right now thinking of Judd teaming with Cooney etc.

Bulldog Revolution
17-09-2007, 11:32 AM
I laughed and laughed when I heard that. Good old Collingwood overrate their players, bless 'em.

Correct - Rusling couldn't get a kick on friday night against the retiring Daniel Chick on him - he was the 23rd pick in the same draft as Ryan Griffen, Franklin, Roughead etc

How would he suddenly be worth the 5th pick in the draft after playing 20 games in 3 years?

It would have to be Ben Reid whose reportedly a fine key forward prospect or Travis Cloke for us to part with the 5th pick

Twodogs
17-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Correct - Rusling couldn't get a kick on friday night against the retiring Daniel Chick on him - he was the 23rd pick in the same draft as Ryan Griffen, Franklin, Roughead etc

How would he suddenly be worth the 5th pick in the draft after playing 20 games in 3 years?

It would have to be Ben Reid whose reportedly a fine key forward prospect or Travis Cloke for us to part with the 5th pick

You've got my attention there. I'd gladly give up pick 5 for Cloke-he's the one I've been pleading for us to make a play for all season.

bulldogtragic
17-09-2007, 11:46 AM
To the very astutue watches of under age kids, IF, a Gumbleton or Dowler was offered to get our pick 5, would either of those kids be better talents or better overall prspoects then the names mentioned that we may be looking at (henderson etc)?

Sockeye Salmon
17-09-2007, 11:57 AM
To the very astutue watches of under age kids, IF, a Gumbleton or Dowler was offered to get our pick 5, would either of those kids be better talents or better overall prspoects then the names mentioned that we may be looking at (henderson etc)?

I don't know how Dowler has been going regarding the hip injury he got in a car crash but I'd take Gumbleton in a heartbeat.

Raw Toast
17-09-2007, 07:18 PM
I do like the idea of trying to cherry pick a kp to help another club to Judd. I see Ryder's name has already been mentioned, perhaps we could take him off Essendon's hands for pick 5? :)

Sockeye Salmon
17-09-2007, 08:20 PM
I do like the idea of trying to cherry pick a kp to help another club to Judd. I see Ryder's name has already been mentioned, perhaps we could take him off Essendon's hands for pick 5? :)

Ryder and Gumbleton are WA boys so if they were to be included in any trade WCE would just take them and not worry about getting anyone else involved

FrediKanoute
17-09-2007, 09:33 PM

Ben Reid - YES!!! I would take him for pick 5 and C-wood's second pick!

LostDoggy
17-09-2007, 10:12 PM
Could have got it from West Coast. Perth is the place to be to make money-I honestly dont think it's about money per se.

Not saying its about all about money, saying he might be finished.

LostDoggy
17-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Hmmmm

Fevola & Pick #3 seems the most likely thing at the moment..

but i heard Danny Frawley mention on the fox sports show that we are still after him..

so if we put a bid in for Fev - which included pick #5 u'd think Carlton could only get Judd with Pick 3,5 & 100-150 game player or someone like Waite?

Raw Toast
18-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Ryder and Gumbleton are WA boys so if they were to be included in any trade WCE would just take them and not worry about getting anyone else involved

Yeah I know, just having fun dreaming nice dreams. Essendon might also not want to send both of them to the Eagles, in which case we could get one and the Eagles one, with our pick 5 sealing the deal :)

dog town
18-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Interestingly enough Liam Pickering was on SEN last night during their AA coverage.When they were going through each Melbourne club figuring out who was in the running for Judd he piped up and said he thinks the bulldogs will be involved in some way. He said the doggies will get involved and try and get a key forward through the Judd deal. Pickering is a prominent player manager and for him to come out and say that says to me that the dogs have made it pretty clear to everyone that we are going to be pretty big players in this trade period. Guys like him who are heavily involved in the industry are probably the best sources for this sort of stuff.

Twodogs
18-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Pickers doesnt like us either.

He was still crying and moaning about the Veale deal yesterday on SEN.

mjp
18-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Interestingly enough Liam Pickering was on SEN last night during their AA coverage.When they were going through each Melbourne club figuring out who was in the running for Judd he piped up and said he thinks the bulldogs will be involved in some way. Said the doggies will get involved and try and get a key forward through the Judd deal. Pickering is a prominent player manager and for him to come out and say that says to me that the dogs have made it pretty clear to everyone that we are going to be pretty big players in this trade period. Guys like him who are heavily involved in the industry are probably the best sources for this sort of stuff.

Doesn't it really mean he has some kpp players who are looking for more money and he thinks they might get it from us?

dog town
18-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Doesn't it really mean he has some kpp players who are looking for more money and he thinks they might get it from us? Yeah probably but Pickering usually seems pretty genuine to me. He wasn't on air in his player manager role so I think he was acting purely as a commentator. Might not mean much but he obviously thinks we are going to have a crack at someone for him to say that.

LostDog
18-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Pick 5 for Fevola

Scary thought that but it wont happen Carlton would want to keep him

I agree our pick is very attractive and is our best opportunity to get a KPP

I still think Doogs just needed to settle next year he will improve

LostDoggy
18-09-2007, 01:34 PM
Pick 5 for Fevola

Scary thought that but it wont happen Carlton would want to keep him

I agree our pick is very attractive and is our best opportunity to get a KPP

I still think Doogs just needed to settle next year he will improve

Scary thought for us.
Losing pick 5 for a mental case.

Sedat
18-09-2007, 01:58 PM
I just got this trade scenario texted to me from a mate, titled "strong mail". My mate does not work for any club, but he does have a vested interest in the Judd scenario being a Blues supporter, so take it with the necessary grain of salt:

Robbo and Sylvia to Dogs, Pick 5 to Melbourne
Picks 4 & 5 and Brad Miller to WC, Judd to Melbourne

Sounds implausible to me. Then again, I would never have expected Aker for Pick 34 last year.

Still no power forward in this scenario, but inside midfield grunt in the form of Sylvia would be very welcome.

LostDoggy
18-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I just got this trade scenario texted to me from a mate, titled "strong mail". My mate does not work for any club, but he does have a vested interest in the Judd scenario being a Blues supporter, so take it with the necessary grain of salt:

Sounds implausible to me. Then again, I would never have expected Aker for Pick 34 last year.

Still no power forward in this scenario, but inside midfield grunt in the form of Sylvia would be very welcome.

Agree
Lose pick 5 and don't get a tall forward with it doesn't seem plausible. Though Sylvia and Robo are ok , I'd rather try our luck in the draft.

dog town
18-09-2007, 02:27 PM

Still no power forward in this scenario, but inside midfield grunt in the form of Sylvia would be very welcome. Big risk from our side. Sylvia is a good talent but his body has never given him a fair crack at it. We would be a big chance to end up losing out of that one.

Sedat
18-09-2007, 06:41 PM
The other thing to consider is that pick 4 won't guarantee Cale Morton gets to West Coast, who I've been told West Coast are desperate to get to their club. It seems more and more likely that Carlton, with picks 1 and 3 in the back pocket, are best placed to negotiate a trade for Judd's services.

DOG GOD
18-09-2007, 09:02 PM
everytime i read about us and robbo i feel sick. Rather mclean over sylvia, but wouldnt want robbo AT ALL.

maybe melb could give carlton pick 4 and a player for pick 3, and then offload that to westcoast.

The Underdog
18-09-2007, 09:10 PM

If this happened I would be very upset.
I like Sylvia as a footballer but he spends more time in the stands than me.
Robbo is a pointless add on in the deal.

I think if judd chooses Carlton they'll start by asking for picks 1, 3 and a player and work from there. If he picks someone else WCE will stipulate 2 picks in the top 5 and a player and cave to something less late in trade week.
I can't believe Carlton are already taking pick 1 off the table. They think they've got the whip hand but I think they'll find they don't

Dry Rot
18-09-2007, 11:26 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Judd wants to play finals in the near future. And I think he will pick where he will play.

Probably excludes Blues, Tigers, Bombers and Demons.

The Underdog
19-09-2007, 07:41 AM
I thought I read somewhere that Judd wants to play finals in the near future. And I think he will pick where he will play.

Probably excludes Blues, Tigers, Bombers and Demons.

I think it makes the Bombers and Dees better prospects than the other two. Dees were top 6 last year and the Bombers with Judd delivering to Lloyd and Lucas could be scary, although still not top 4 material.
Tiges will always find a way to miss out even with Judd.
The Eagles will want him to pick Carlton because of their picks, but I can smell a Colingwood recruit in the air, although getting the package to satisfy the Eagls will be difficult.

Twodogs
19-09-2007, 09:58 AM
but I can smell a Colingwood recruit in the air, although getting the package to satisfy the Eagls will be difficult.

That's exactly why we should consider* trading our pick 5. Collingwood might go mad with the thought of Judds magic beans and be prepared to do something stupid.

I'm 99% certain we must keep this pick.

dog town
19-09-2007, 11:21 AM

Probably excludes Blues, Tigers, Bombers and Demons. Call me stupid but I think Richmond would walk into the finals with a fit Judd. A midfield of Judd, Foley and an improving Deledio is a little frightening and would allow work horse types like Johnson and Tuck to play their natural roles. At the very least they would be big improvers. Dont under estimate what Judd will do for a side. Every side in the comp is a finals contender with Judd playing.

Mantis
19-09-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm 99% certain we must keep this pick.

Tend to agree, that 1% possibility has to be in case a club decides to do something very silly and offload a Reid, Cloke or the like ( a future gun key forward)

Twodogs
19-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Tend to agree, that 1% possibility has to be in case a club decides to do something very silly and offload a Reid, Cloke or the like ( a future gun key forward)

That's exactly what we should be whispering into other clubs ears.

FrediKanoute
20-09-2007, 04:00 AM
We talk about keeping pick 5 and drafting a KPP. What if the best KPP isn't the 5th best player in the draft? What if Ebert or Palmer or Mastin are better? Are we better off chasing Henderson or McEvoy and having them turn out pants? My call is that we should go for the best available tall - available being whether in the draft or via a trade. I would have no hesitation in taking Reid, Thorpe, Roughhead, Franklin ahead of Henderson, Rance or McEvoy - b/c they are probably better KPP's. I would hesitate if they were offloading Pick 5 though for another midfielder as I really think that you can develop these relatively quickly.

Bulldog Revolution
20-09-2007, 09:39 AM
We talk about keeping pick 5 and drafting a KPP. What if the best KPP isn't the 5th best player in the draft? What if Ebert or Palmer or Mastin are better? Are we better off chasing Henderson or McEvoy and having them turn out pants? My call is that we should go for the best available tall - available being whether in the draft or via a trade. I would have no hesitation in taking Reid, Thorpe, Roughhead, Franklin ahead of Henderson, Rance or McEvoy - b/c they are probably better KPP's. I would hesitate if they were offloading Pick 5 though for another midfielder as I really think that you can develop these relatively quickly.

Its so unlikely to me that any of the talls you talk of from other clubs would be available - although it is Judd so the hysteria may ruffle someone out of the bushes but its still unlikely to me.

I think we should just back Clayton in to take the best player available - if its a midfielder then thats no problem to me - we desperately need a dynamic inside midfielder. Clayton has proven he can find elite talent early in the first round, and we dont want him reaching on a Kepler Bradley type key position player if the best talls go earlier. The club does need to find some key position forward options but if Everitt, Tiller, Williams and Wight developed things would look a lot different. That said I am very confident they will have been targetting key forward talent all year and have some ideas in mind.

Dry Rot
20-09-2007, 04:30 PM
OK if Clayton can find Kerr's twin, otherwise I want a KPP forward (by whatever route).

bornadog
21-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Did any one listen to Rocket on SEN last night on his weekly programme with Robbo (Hearld Sun).

He said the club spoke to Judd's mgr mid year to get a feel incase he was coming back to Melbourne. However, he reiterated that we are not chasing him and we want a ruckman and KPP forward. Nothing new but interesting they spoke mid year.