PDA

View Full Version : What the Bulldogs say

The Coon Dog
13-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Jen Witham - Bulldogs Website

In summary
The Dogs stocked up on a bit of everything in the NAB AFL Draft with a replacement for Callan Ward in Clay Smith, a key back in Michael Talia, a project player that reminded them of Easton Wood in Daniel Pearce and a goal-kicker from the Bendigo Bombers in Tory Dickson. This time, they've picked up a ruckman (Tom Campbell) and a pair of forwards in Fletcher Roberts and Jack Redpath. They also added a couple of midfielders - Lin Jong and Alex Greenwood - thrown in with a former Blue (Mark Austin), who's been in the AFL system since the end of 2006 to sure up their defensive stocks. Again, it's a bit of everything for the Dogs with that all-important "rookie attitude" taking a higher level of importance than any footballing ability.

Article in full... (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/127105/default.aspx)

*Gives a run down by Simon Dalrymple on the PSD & Rookie Draft Selections.

bornadog
14-12-2011, 12:06 AM
I am happy with the type of players we have picked, so lets hope they live up to expectations.

Ghost Dog
14-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Austin's been around a bit hasn't he. 6 years is a while in the system.

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Mark+Austin

from the sounds of it, had a bit of bad luck. But he has the bloodlines of a champ.

chef
14-12-2011, 08:27 AM
For a shallow draft I'm pretty happy with what we have picked up.

the banker
14-12-2011, 09:38 AM
There appears a very clear directive from the Coaching team (BMac) : get me strong boys who are hard at it, and of very good character. The team will be built from a set of core values all team orientated.

BMac appears to have an uncompromising attitude to these values. I am excited to see how this translates to the way we play next year.

The fascinating side show is how individuals (e.g. Higgins, Grant, Lake, Sherman) respond to him.

LostDoggy
14-12-2011, 09:45 AM
For a shallow draft I'm pretty happy with what we have picked up.

Likewise. A rookie wage is less than $50K from what I'm told, so I'm always happy for the club to take some gambles in the rookie draft. Look at Dahlhaus, Harbrow, Morris, etc.

LostDoggy
14-12-2011, 09:46 AM
There appears a very clear directive from the Coaching team (BMac) : get me strong boys who are hard at it, and of very good character. The team will be built from a set of core values all team orientated.

BMac appears to have an uncompromising attitude to these values. I am excited to see how this translates to the way we play next year.

The fascinating side show is how individuals (e.g. Higgins, Grant, Lake, Sherman) respond to him.

I think Higgins and Lake will be fine, Grant and Sherman will struggle. Just my uneducated and uninformed guess.

DragzLS1
14-12-2011, 10:43 AM
I seen glimpses of grant last year (possibly vs Melbourne when we won by 64points) where Grant was actually doing alot of chasing and pressing. This was offcourse after he was dropped for a couple of weeks and was his first game back to prove himself. If he can put that pressure on all games and chase hard like he did then I dont think he will have a problem, ive seen him do the hard work, now just needs to keep it consistant.

I like the way BMAC is going about his business cant wait for the season to start and see all this hard work put into practise.

Twodogs
14-12-2011, 11:04 AM
[thrown in with a former Blue (Mark Austin), who's been in the AFL system since the end of 2006 to sure up their defensive stocks.

Off topic but that's terrible grammar.

Murphy'sLore
14-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Off topic but that's terrible grammar.

You mean terrible spelling ;)

The grammar's not too bad but it ought to be 'shore up.'

westdog54
14-12-2011, 05:20 PM
You mean terrible spelling ;)

The grammar's not too bad but it ought to be 'shore up.'

You mean the grammar isn't too bad:p

LostDoggy
14-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Here's a good shot from Twitter of Lin Jong on day one: http://yfrog.com/mmjn6nj

http://a.yfrog.com/img814/3808/jn6n.jpg

Greystache
14-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Wow, he is a good size.

Dancin' Douggy
14-12-2011, 09:53 PM
It would be just fantastic for so many reasons if he made it as an AFL player go the Jong!

Ghost Dog
14-12-2011, 11:06 PM
It's funny. I saw a picture of him in the Hun. He looked so skinny around the waist and being of Asian extraction, assumed he would be short ( nobody else in the picture )

Then, next to boyd, you get the picture! Big fella!

Desipura
15-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Long Jong Silver for the elder statesmen.

Murphy'sLore
15-12-2011, 11:01 AM
You mean the grammar isn't too bad:p

:o Touche!

LostDoggy
15-12-2011, 05:14 PM
It's funny. I saw a picture of him in the Hun. He looked so skinny around the waist and being of Asian extraction, assumed he would be short ( nobody else in the picture )

It's a funny one isn't it -- it's an understandable assumption, then you get Yao Ming, the frickin' tallest player in the NBA, which is like saying the biggest nerd at Google. It's not like the rest of the players in the NBA are short, yet somehow, from China, where people aren't of great height, comes this dude who's taller than every other basketballer in the NBA, a sport played by giants!

Reality has an ironic sense of humour.

Greystache
15-12-2011, 09:00 PM
It's a funny one isn't it -- it's an understandable assumption, then you get Yao Ming, the frickin' tallest player in the NBA, which is like saying the biggest nerd at Google. It's not like the rest of the players in the NBA are short, yet somehow, from China, where people aren't of great height, comes this dude who's taller than every other basketballer in the NBA, a sport played by giants!

Not exactly ironic.

Yao Ming was a designer baby created to become a dominant athlete. His parents (6.9 & 6.3) were "encouraged" to get married and have a son. Encouragement in China is a pretty different concept to some other countries.

Ghost Dog
15-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Not exactly ironic.

Yao Ming was a designer baby created to become a dominant athlete. His parents (6.9 & 6.3) were "encouraged" to get married and have a son. Encouragement in China is a pretty different concept to some other countries.

Poor guy didn't even like basketball. His coach used to come over and get him every morning...

hujsh
16-12-2011, 12:06 AM

With almost 2 billion people it's not so surprising there would be a few exceptions to that rule.

LostDoggy
16-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Not exactly ironic.

Yeah GS, I knew this but left it out for a better story haha -- I think his parents were like a basketballer and a volleyball player? Just thought it was still ironic that of all the countries to produce a player bigger than all the giants in the NBA it would be one of the Asian countries.

Actually, I think it's actually MORE ironic (and funny) if you add in the fact that they actually freakin' genetically engineered this dude.

LostDoggy
16-12-2011, 11:11 AM
With almost 2 billion people it's not so surprising there would be a few exceptions to that rule.

You'd think... but genetics really doesn't work that way (thus why there aren't no black Chinese people, although there are albinos in Africa...). I'm backing off from this train of discussion.. race can be a VERY touchy issue.

My point is (as GS has already mentioned), it wasn't really an 'exception' as such, but actual state-sanctioned arranged marriages between high-performance athletes... although one wonders then why they haven't produced more Yao Mings (actually, they did produce a couple more giants, but they were shit at basketball).

LostDoggy
16-12-2011, 02:07 PM
You'd think... but genetics really doesn't work that way (thus why there aren't no black Chinese people, although there are albinos in Africa...). I'm backing off from this train of discussion.. race can be a VERY touchy issue.

My point is (as GS has already mentioned), it wasn't really an 'exception' as such, but actual state-sanctioned arranged marriages between high-performance athletes... although one wonders then why they haven't produced more Yao Mings (actually, they did produce a couple more giants, but they were shit at basketball).

Perhaps their third arm got in the way