PDA

View Full Version : Historic guernsey is back in the family

The Coon Dog
15-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Jon Pierik - The Age - 15 December

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/12/14/2839649/art-svSTEVENS-420x0.jpg
Family affair: Footscray premiership player Harvey Stevens
with his grandson Michael Talia, a Western Bulldogs recruit.

WHEN his name was overlooked through selections 20 to 25 in last month's national draft, Michael Talia, regarded by some as the best key-position defender on offer, suddenly had reason to fret.

Talia and his manager had thought he would be taken around that mark, but as pick 30 came and went, the young lad from the Calder Cannons moved into panic mode. ''I had about 70 people at my house and I was thinking, 'Hold on, I might not go [to a club]','' he said this week.

''But when I heard the Bulldogs had pick 39, I just squeezed my girlfriend's hand as hard as I could. It ended up happening and I was able to go to there. I couldn't have asked for anything more.''

Article in full... (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/historic-guernsey-is-back-in-the-family-20111214-1ov09.html)

Desipura
15-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Jon Pierik - The Age - 15 December

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/12/14/2839649/art-svSTEVENS-420x0.jpg
Family affair: Footscray premiership player Harvey Stevens
with his grandson Michael Talia, a Western Bulldogs recruit.

WHEN his name was overlooked through selections 20 to 25 in last month's national draft, Michael Talia, regarded by some as the best key-position defender on offer, suddenly had reason to fret.

Talia and his manager had thought he would be taken around that mark, but as pick 30 came and went, the young lad from the Calder Cannons moved into panic mode. ''I had about 70 people at my house and I was thinking, 'Hold on, I might not go [to a club]','' he said this week.

''But when I heard the Bulldogs had pick 39, I just squeezed my girlfriend's hand as hard as I could. It ended up happening and I was able to go to there. I couldn't have asked for anything more.''

Article in full... (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/historic-guernsey-is-back-in-the-family-20111214-1ov09.html)
I bet (pardon the pun) this put a smile on your face TCD, especially given the circumstances with Ward leaving?

Maddog37
15-12-2011, 10:08 AM
I love this stuff. It is what footy clubs are built on. I hope he becomes a long term Doggie great.

bornadog
15-12-2011, 10:14 AM
I enjoyed reading this article.

Never realised Harvey was only 188cm and a ruckman. These days 191cm is not even considered tall.

LostDoggy
15-12-2011, 10:17 AM
I enjoyed reading this as well - I hope that Michael has a long and successful career with us (and gets a premiership medallion too!).

Bulldog4life
15-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Great read & great story. I too love reading these type of footy stories...only the Bulldogs of course.:)

Murphy'sLore
15-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Gorgeous story. Let's hope the fairy tale continues and we all get the perfect happy ending!

LostDoggy
15-12-2011, 11:28 AM
I remember one day at Carlton when John Nicholls took a mark and put his foot out front and collected a Doggies player who ws running in to spoil. My father took umbrage to that and called Nicholls all the names he could find to abuse him. All without swearing which was a pretty good effort.

About 10 minutes later Harvey Stevens did precisely the same thing and collected a Carlton player in the mid-riff. The old man yelled out, "Good on you Harvey you protect yourself son!"

First time I saw a riot at the footy:D

The Bulldogs Bite
15-12-2011, 01:45 PM
You can really tell he loves the club, he's very passionate and has voiced this at any and every opportunity. :)

Twodogs
15-12-2011, 02:18 PM
I think at one stage Arthur and Harvey Stevens were the only father/son combo to have both captained the same V/AFL team. Is that still the case?

BTW how did Harvey come to play for Collingwood and not Footscray in the first instance?

The Coon Dog
15-12-2011, 02:40 PM
I think at one stage Arthur and Harvey Stevens were the only father/son combo to have both captained the same V/AFL team. Is that still the case?

Charlie Pannam Snr & Alby Pannam both Captained Collingwood. There's also a bloke now captaining Essendon who's Dad you might remember.

bornadog
15-12-2011, 04:55 PM
BTW how did Harvey come to play for Collingwood and not Footscray in the first instance?

I wondered that as well. Maybe they didn't have father son then and Harvey was zoned under Collingwood? (I am only guessing)

ratsmac
15-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Great story. Hopefully we have a passionate player of the Johnno ilk seeing that his blood flows rwb.

Bulldog4life
15-12-2011, 05:36 PM
I wondered that as well. Maybe they didn't have father son then and Harvey was zoned under Collingwood? (I am only guessing)

Could be on the money. According to the Bulldog Heritage Book Harvey moved to Reservoir when he was 9 years old. Then he went to Preston Tech.

LostDoggy
15-12-2011, 10:50 PM
I keep hearing different things re: his Great Grandfather. At the Social club event last week K Hillier said his Great G/Father was Arthur Oliver. Recently on another forum here on woof someone said he was Arthur Stevens, I corrected him as to Oliver. In this article it's stated Arthur Stevens, yet last night, Michael told me it was Arthur Oliver.

Could someone get the facts right, in the mean time, I'll go with what "Gena" told me.

AndrewP6
15-12-2011, 11:09 PM
I keep hearing different things re: his Great Grandfather. At the Social club event last week K Hillier said his Great G/Father was Arthur Oliver. Recently on another forum here on woof someone said he was Arthur Stevens, I corrected him as to Oliver. In this article it's stated Arthur Stevens, yet last night, Michael told me it was Arthur Oliver.

Could someone get the facts right, in the mean time, I'll go with what "Gena" told me.

According to my research, Arthur Stevens played with the Dogs from 1927-32, made his debut at 28 and played 64 games. Arthur Olliver played from 1935-1950, 272 games and held the games record prior to EJ taking it.

EasternWest
15-12-2011, 11:24 PM

That is a terrible nickname. Is that the nickname he has or one you made up?

AndrewP6
15-12-2011, 11:38 PM
That is a terrible nickname. Is that the nickname he has or one you made up?

See below..

As a past Player Sponsor of Sam whatever his name was, I'd just like to say my #11 jumper is gathering mothballs and when the new jumper arrives it will be a #32 in honour of my Sponsored boy Michael (Gena) Talia. Hey I didn't give him the nickname. I was gonna call him EmTee oops I ment MT

KT31
16-12-2011, 12:12 AM

Could be both, unless he is from Tassie, he would have four Great Grandfathers.:D

bornadog
16-12-2011, 12:40 AM

Hillier never mentioned Arthur Oliver at all, he said Stevens. It is Arthur Stevens, its only you that thinks its Oliver.

EasternWest
16-12-2011, 01:10 AM
See below..

Nice work AP. Hutchy like snooping.

I'm not a prude, there's just something distasteful about it. Anyway, as you were.

Bulldog Joe
16-12-2011, 07:31 AM
Could be both, unless he is from Tassie, he would have two Great Grandfathers.:D

No need to denigrate us Tasmanians.

We actually have 2 grandfathers and 4 great grandfathers

KT31
16-12-2011, 10:10 AM
No need to denigrate us Tasmanians.

We actually have 2 grandfathers and 4 great grandfathers

Sorry BJ, it was only meant in jest and you know I typed in three other states and it didn't look right.
Have corrected post for mathematical correctness.:)

LostDoggy
22-12-2011, 11:58 PM
According to my research, Arthur Stevens played with the Dogs from 1927-32, made his debut at 28 and played 64 games. Arthur Olliver played from 1935-1950, 272 games and held the games record prior to EJ taking it.

With all the Arseholes Yacking away while speeches and interviews where being carried on, I obviously made a mistake. I have since done my homework and seen my mistake . OOPS Stuffed up again :(

Bulldog4life
23-12-2011, 02:07 PM
With all the Arseholes Yacking away while speeches and interviews where being carried on, I obviously made a mistake. I have since done my homework and seen my mistake . OOPS Stuffed up again :(

Tis that time of the year. Forgiven.:)

LostDoggy
28-12-2011, 10:13 PM

My mistake. obviously I didn't hear what was said due to the morons yacking away while speeches were made. apologies for the mistake, i should of done some better research 1st :mad:

LostDoggy
28-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Tis that time of the year. Forgiven.:)

oops repeated myself. Again