PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Mark Austin

Ghost Dog
15-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Mate at Carlton reckons this is a good pick.

this from a guy who is usually more pessimistic about players from his own club than any others!

Welcome to the club Mark!

Edit: Not the son of Rod Austin!

Twodogs
15-12-2011, 02:09 PM
I remember Jimmy Edmond giving Curly Austin a run around at the Western Oval in early in '83. Kicked 6 from memory.

LostDoggy
15-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Lets hope Mark didnt inherit Curly's kicking style.
No offence to Mark or ghost dog but where is the welcome Fletcher Roberts thread? He made the list.

The Coon Dog
15-12-2011, 02:36 PM
The son of Rod Curly Austin.

Are you sure about this?

Rod's son Nick only played one reserves game for Carlton after being recruited from the Northern Suburbs whereas Mark was recruited from Glenelg.

LostDoggy
15-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Are you thinking about the Brisbane Austin?

Throughandthrough
15-12-2011, 03:22 PM
This is his Dad

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_n0dOFJIg_vw/TA2O9BPDyWI/AAAAAAAABnA/gEO6IpGR8xE/s400/lee+majors.jpg

PS if anyone cares, he was recruited from Glenelg, the same year as Bryce Gibbs and James Sellar. All three went to Brighton HS (i think), making them allmost the only Glenelg AFL players that didn't go to Sacred Heart College. Is (or was at the time, presumably still is) great mates with Bryce Gibbs.

Ghost Dog
15-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Lets hope Mark didnt inherit Curly's kicking style.
No offence to Mark or ghost dog but where is the welcome Fletcher Roberts thread? He made the list.

Let's do it! Stack of recruits this year. Interesting times at the dogs.

Ghost Dog
15-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Are you sure about this?

Rod's son Nick only played one reserves game for Carlton after being recruited from the Northern Suburbs whereas Mark was recruited from Glenelg.

thanks Coon Dog. Was absolutely , 100% wrong!
I will have to have a good dig at my Carlton friend. Seems carlton posted something on their some time ago to clarify this.
Seems I'm not the only one who made the mistake.

KT31
15-12-2011, 04:01 PM
This is his Dad

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_n0dOFJIg_vw/TA2O9BPDyWI/AAAAAAAABnA/gEO6IpGR8xE/s400/lee+majors.jpg

PS if anyone cares, he was recruited from Glenelg, the same year as Bryce Gibbs and James Sellar. All three went to Brighton HS (i think), making them allmost the only Glenelg AFL players that didn't go to Sacred Heart College. Is (or was at the time, presumably still is) great mates with Bryce Gibbs.

Champagne comedy.:D

bornadog
15-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Talking about Rod Austin - in the 80's he was coaching Fitzroy and we were playing them at Princes Park. My mate and I were sitting about 8 rows down from the coaches box. Rod was fuming that day as his players were making lots of mistakes and he was banging the table and throwing around the phone.

In the last quarter we started getting on top, and I am not sure what happened on the field but it was something he didn't like and next thing we hear BANG, Rod put his fist through the coaches box window. There was glass everywhere including in the hair of a a few older ladies.

Rod, well he just kept coaching as the assistance cleared the broken glass.

Bulldog4life
15-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Talking about Rod Austin - in the 80's he was coaching Fitzroy and we were playing them at Princes Park. My mate and I were sitting about 8 rows down from the coaches box. Rod was fuming that day as his players were making lots of mistakes and he was banging the table and throwing around the phone.

Was the anointed one to coach the Fitzroy Bulldogs which luckily never eventuated.

AndrewP6
15-12-2011, 11:26 PM
This is his Dad

I'm sure it's this guy...
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbowUa78KinIgdY3faqTH1e3o-AGF71tU2UGV0OqqYRK6IHDrocw

LostDoggy
16-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Is there a 'Welcome Fletcher Roberts' thread yet?

ledge
16-12-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm sure it's this guy...
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbowUa78KinIgdY3faqTH1e3o-AGF71tU2UGV0OqqYRK6IHDrocw

Maybe this was the guy getting Fev on the grog, throwing cans from his ute

bornadog
20-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Should make his debut for us this Sunday. Still only 23 years of age.

Number 47
Height 194cm
Weight 95kg
DOB 24-02-1989
Career 15

A 194cm and 95kg key position player who played 15 games with Carlton,
including one last season, after making his debut in 2007.
Takes a terrific contested mark and will add depth to the club’s tall stocks.

Previous AFL club: Carlton (2007-11: 15 games, 1 goal).

Draft history: 2006 National AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Carlton)
No. 35 overall;

2011 Rookie Draft selection (Western Bulldogs) No. 76.

G-Mo77
20-04-2012, 10:05 AM
I recall he played a few games at forward for the Bullants so potentially he may be able to go either end.

DragzLS1
20-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Seen the video and he has played both ends.

He is a great size and can play either end. Hoping he has a good crack at it and possibly a regular starter for us and a great rookie pick up (we get lucky with our rookies lets be honest)

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Are you sure about this?

Nick was also a staff member at the WB at one time and opens the bowling for Carlton in the District Cricket.

Ozza
20-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Austin hasn't ended up being picked this week. Seems strange to upgrade him and not play him that week.

bornadog
20-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Austin hasn't ended up being picked this week. Seems strange to upgrade him and not play him that week.

oh well, we will have to welcome him next week.:)

Go_Dogs
20-04-2012, 07:52 PM

Agreed, could have waited another week if we didn't think there was a suitable match up for him, which appears the case now. Perhaps there will be a late change?

chef
20-04-2012, 08:28 PM
oh well, we will have to welcome him next week.:)

With Lake coming back in against GWS, can't see that happening. There's got to be a late change IMO.

Desipura
20-04-2012, 09:14 PM
With Lake coming back in against GWS, can't see that happening. There's got to be a late change IMO.

You would think Roughy would be the out if there is an out.

chef
20-04-2012, 09:25 PM
You would think Roughy would be the out if there is an out.

You would think so. I'd prefer Cordy to be given a go as the 2nd ruck.

Dry Rot
22-04-2012, 01:24 AM
Agreed, could have waited another week if we didn't think there was a suitable match up for him, which appears the case now. Perhaps there will be a late change?

Ch7 tonight: Markovic out

Remi Moses
22-04-2012, 02:25 AM
We're going to see how Mark Austin goes.
Must confess never seen him play

LostDoggy
22-04-2012, 03:05 AM
Ch7 tonight: Markovic out

Damn , then Roughead is going to have to spend some time in defense to give us some extra height , if Austin is at FB and ends up on Clark he's going to be a bit nervous

LostDoggy
22-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Well, Roughead did not too bad as a backman , I thought he was the most likely player to be switched back

Austin did OK for his first game , 11 disposals, 5 contested, 73% disposal efficiency , 7 1% , 92% TOG

Despite Lake having a holiday and Markovic as a late withdrawal the Club benefited from Austin and Veszpremi having a solid hitout

DragzLS1
23-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Well, Roughead did not too bad as a backman , I thought he was the most likely player to be switched back

Austin did OK for his first game , 11 disposals, 5 contested, 73% disposal efficiency , 7 1% , 92% TOG

Despite Lake having a holiday and Markovic as a late withdrawal the Club benefited from Austin and Veszpremi having a solid hitout

I was happy with Austin today reminds me of Marko :p

Roughy lost his man a few times in the first half but was very good after the first quater.

All in all they done well and would like to see Austin and Markovic play in the same backline against a shorter forward line, think they would compliment eachother well.

LostDoggy
23-04-2012, 06:15 PM
I was happy with Austin today reminds me of Marko :p

Roughy lost his man a few times in the first half but was very good after the first quater.

All in all they done well and would like to see Austin and Markovic play in the same backline against a shorter forward line, think they would compliment eachother well.

Why does he remind you of Markovic? He also trys? His poor disposal? Or his lack of speed? To me he is at least the equal of Markovic but we haven't seen enough of him yet. I'd give him another game with Lake not Markovic.

As for Roughead I prefer him playing backline rather than forward. No reason why he can't play on opposition monsters.

always right
23-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Why does he remind you of Markovic? He also trys? His poor disposal? Or his lack of speed? To me he is at least the equal of Markovic but we haven't seen enough of him yet. I'd give him another game with Lake not Markovic.

As for Roughead I prefer him playing backline rather than forward. No reason why he can't play on opposition monsters.

At the risk of being shouted down I alo thought he reminded me of Marcovic. Certainly in appearance anyway.

LostDoggy
23-04-2012, 06:25 PM
At the risk of being shouted down I alo thought he reminded me of Marcovic. Certainly in appearance anyway.

Just asking why?

I hope he is better than Markovic.

bornadog
23-04-2012, 06:36 PM

Just asking why?

Markovic is a very stiff looking solid type of bloke (an old fashion backman) who has no hope below his knees whereas Austin looks like his body is more flexible and nothing like Markovic.

always right
23-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Just asking why?

Apologies....read is if you were challenging the fact he reminds someone of Marcovic. Tone is very subjective when it comes to text.:)

Sockeye Salmon
24-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Why isn't Austin getting the same grief for dropping an uncontested chest mark that Crossy is getting?

Ghost Dog
24-04-2012, 12:27 AM

Right. Do you think he is mobile enough for the defensive chase? I reckon he did well V Dees and would be interested to see how he would slot into the backline.

LostDoggy
24-04-2012, 01:13 AM
While its not a great situation we have at the moment with an unstable back six , getting some game time into Austin is important , while he has admitted that his match fitness is down and thats why he cramped early he still played 92% game time , if he can get some regular game time now in defense when the others are back on deck he can be switched forward , having Austin and Jones on the HF line would give us a better target spread and take some pressure off Jones

Ghost Dog
24-04-2012, 01:36 AM
What was his possie at the blues?

chef
24-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Why isn't Austin getting the same grief for dropping an uncontested chest mark that Crossy is getting?

I guess it's his first game(for us) and Crossy is a senior seasoned player.

Desipura
24-04-2012, 09:51 AM

I dont believe Austin's drop mark resulted in a goal like Crossy's.

DragzLS1
24-04-2012, 10:10 AM

Just the way he moves and body shape ect they both look like the oldschool lock down type although it was only 1 game so I am basing it on what I saw with my own eyes against teh demons. Another game with Lake would be good to see and looks like he could be a handy back up although need to see more of him to be convinced he can take the big guys like a Cloke or Dawes.

As with Roughead I also think he is more suitable in the backline rather then forward. He looked a bit unsettled at the start of the game but got into it the more the game went on and done really well.

LostDoggy
24-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Just the way he moves and body shape ect they both look like the oldschool lock down type although it was only 1 game so I am basing it on what I saw with my own eyes against teh demons. Another game with Lake would be good to see and looks like he could be a handy back up although need to see more of him to be convinced he can take the big guys like a Cloke or Dawes

Preseason they may have been the same height and weight but I don't think they look similar. Markovic is all shoulders and looks more robotic (less flexible) as mentioned already. Austin looks slimmer.
Not convinced Markovic can take Cloke or Dawes either.

immortalmike
24-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Three reasons, 1) Austin's first game, 2) no goal resulted, 3)Cross is older than 28 which apparently means his days are numbered despite form.

Sockeye Salmon
24-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Three reasons, 1) Austin's first game, 2) no goal resulted, 3)Cross is older than 28 which apparently means his days are numbered despite form.

Griffen dropped a sitter 20 metres out right in front - that cost a goal

Mantis
24-04-2012, 02:42 PM
What was his possie at the blues?

FB for the Northern Bullants.

Sedat
24-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Why isn't Austin getting the same grief for dropping an uncontested chest mark that Crossy is getting?That was a poor drop by Austin, regardless of whether or not it was his first game for the club. He's not Izzy Folau - he's actually played a fair bit of footy in the last 12+ years so chest marks shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sold on Austin as yet - happy with a couple of things but unhappy with a couple of others. James Sellar isn't exactly Wayne Carey.

Crossy's game has been pretty severely maligned. I thought he was alright on Sunday - not one out of the box but still a decent contribution. However, His dropped chest mark was very poor, and in the context of the game it gifted Melbourne a frankly undeserved goal at a time where we were dominating the match. Arguably that conceded goal on half time was the spur for their 3rd qtr revival. When icing the clock late in qtrs, we simply need to be much better than that.

Sedat
24-04-2012, 04:07 PM
FB for the Northern Bullants.
I see what you did there ;)

AndrewP6
24-04-2012, 06:39 PM
That was a poor drop by Austin, regardless of whether or not it was his first game for the club. He's not Izzy Folau - he's actually played a fair bit of footy in the last 12+ years so chest marks shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sold on Austin as yet - happy with a couple of things but unhappy with a couple of others. James Sellar isn't exactly Wayne Carey.

Since he was 11? He played 15 games with the Blues, only one last year. I'm prepared to give him a bit of slack.

Sedat
24-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Since he was 11? He played 15 games with the Blues, only one last year. I'm prepared to give him a bit of slack.Do you think he first touched a Sherrin at draft age? ;)

Why should anybody cut him slack for failing to do a basic fundamental (uncontested chest mark) just because it's his first game for the club? My 5yo son is already taking chest marks after a couple of Aus Kick sessions.

AndrewP6
24-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Do you think he first touched a Sherrin at draft age? ;)

We're marking them pretty tough if we're going to consider kids footy when looking at current errors. :)

AndrewP6
24-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Do you think he first touched a Sherrin at draft age? ;)

My point is why cut him slack for failing to do a basic fundamental (chest mark) just because it's his first game for the club. My 5yo son is already taking chest marks after a couple of Aus Kick sessions.

Because it's his first game for the club. He's a bloke who's only been on the senior list for a minute. It was wet, he made a blue.

Your son might be taking chest marks, but have you looked at his kicking technique? :D

Sedat
24-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Your son might be taking chest marks, but have you looked at his kicking technique? :DShocking, almost as bad as Clay Smith's :D

bornadog
24-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Shocking, almost as bad as Clay Smith's :D

Then he will get drafted:D

LostDoggy
24-04-2012, 10:01 PM

You sure you're not referring to Cross?

immortalmike
24-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Griffen dropped a sitter 20 metres out right in front - that cost a goal

Yes but Griffen is a sacred cow on this board who has not had a good game this year but has yet to be criticized for it. As a whole our supporters seem very trigger happy this year, which means if you are on the wrong side of 28 watch out if you make a mistake.

Sedat
24-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Yes but Griffen is a sacred cow on this board who has not had a good game this year but has yet to be criticized for it.He hasn't been working hard enough to break the shackles in the last 2 weeks but he was very good against Adelaide. Having a smashed up hand would not be helping too much.

Back onto Austin, what do posters think he can add to the table over and above the likes of Lake, Markovic, Morris and Williams? These guys would all currently be ahead of Austin in the pecking order when they are injury free, and all will be around for at least the next 2 seasons. Does Austin have any specific skills set that the others lack? Or is he simply key defensive cover in the event of injury (as is the case right now)? Looking at him on Sunday, I feel it is the latter.

LostDoggy
25-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Back onto Austin, what do posters think he can add to the table over and above the likes of Lake, Markovic, Morris and Williams? These guys would all currently be ahead of Austin in the pecking order when they are injury free, and all will be around for at least the next 2 seasons. Does Austin have any specific skills set that the others lack? Or is he simply key defensive cover in the event of injury (as is the case right now)? Looking at him on Sunday, I feel it is the latter.

Basically if you break it down Austin was recruited as the second coming of Adam Morgan , ( same height same weight ) a key position player who can switch between back and forward , if he can stay injury free he will do better than Chad , once we have a stable back six Austin will probably play forward , for example if Veszpremi can cement a place in the backline while Morris is out then you could rotate Austin and Veszpremi to unbalance opposition matchups

Desipura
25-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Yes but Griffen is a sacred cow on this board who has not had a good game this year but has yet to be criticized for it. As a whole our supporters seem very trigger happy this year, which means if you are on the wrong side of 28 watch out if you make a mistake.
Have you seen the Adelaide game yet? Griffen was one of our best.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-04-2012, 06:44 PM
He hasn't been working hard enough to break the shackles in the last 2 weeks but he was very good against Adelaide. Having a smashed up hand would not be helping too much.

Well said. With Williams out for some time, Austin becomes a handy back up for both Lake and/ or Markovic missing as we experienced against Melbourne. Carlton who are not over flushed with key defenders would have wanted to hold onto Austin if they felt he was good enough. You would want to see him against much stronger opposition to get a better handle on whether he has a future with us.

Ghost Dog
25-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Well said. With Williams out for some time, Austin becomes a handy back up for both Lake and/ or Markovic missing as we experienced against Melbourne. Carlton who are not over flushed with key defenders would have wanted to hold onto Austin if they felt he was good enough. You would want to see him against much stronger opposition to get a better handle on whether he has a future with us.

Quite a few Carlton Supporters I know didn't want to let him go.

immortalmike
26-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Have you seen the Adelaide game yet? Griffen was one of our best.

Yeah I have. Griff wasted the ball worse than Cross and Boyd could ever hope to (48% DE and 3 clangers is not good enough). I stand by my statement that he has not produced a good game yet. Hey, Griffen's probably my favourite player after Murph but he's nowhere near as good as he should be or has been.

GVGjr
27-04-2012, 05:47 AM
I think he was a bit stiff to be dropped. With the injuries we have it might have been worth sticking with him for a couple of games.

LostDoggy
27-04-2012, 12:44 PM
I think he was a bit stiff to be dropped. With the injuries we have it might have been worth sticking with him for a couple of games.

I agree with your comment considering where we are at and who we are playing.

If we were challenging this year it would be a different story.

LostDoggy
27-04-2012, 05:31 PM

If Hargrave had a poor game last week but Markovic was right to play this week they still might have dropped Austin , Hargrave had a solid game but Markovic isn,t right to play and Austin is dropped , I can only assume its more to do with matchups against GWS

Against Collingwood with Cloke and Dawes moving up and back it might be worthwhile having Lake on Dawes and Austin on Cloke , they can go with them up to the 50m arc and let them run on , if Markovic is back on deck he can stay back as a tall sweeper who can go to Jolly when he goes forward , to me it makes sense having all three against Collingwood

The Bulldogs Bite
27-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Against Collingwood with Cloke and Dawes moving up and back it might be worthwhile having Lake on Dawes and Austin on Cloke , they can go with them up to the 50m arc and let them run on , if Markovic is back on deck he can stay back as a tall sweeper who can go to Jolly when he goes forward , to me it makes sense having all three against Collingwood

Wouldn't it have made sense to get another game into Austin if this was the case?

FWIW I can't see us bringing Austin back for the Collingwood game. We have clearly identified Roughead as a player who can go back -- he did it last week v Clark, but even as a ruckman he's been dropping back quite a lot.

In such a case, we would likely use Roughead to cover Jolly which would then allow Lake/Markovic to take Dawes/Cloke.

Ghost Dog
27-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Wouldn't it have made sense to get another game into Austin if this was the case?

FWIW I can't see us bringing Austin back for the Collingwood game. We have clearly identified Roughead as a player who can go back -- he did it last week v Clark, but even as a ruckman he's been dropping back quite a lot.

In such a case, we would likely use Roughead to cover Jolly which would then allow Lake/Markovic to take Dawes/Cloke.

Roughy looked very shakey early in defence. My heart was in my mouth the whole time he was against Clarke early on. Roughead would get monstered by Jolly IMO. Just too strong and wily.

LostDoggy
27-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Roughy looked very shakey early in defence. My heart was in my mouth the whole time he was against Clarke early on. Roughead would get monstered by Jolly IMO. Just too strong and wily.

By a ruckman like Jolly? If he can't stand up against Jolly in defence then how is is he gonna play him in ruck? Give him a go cos if he fails agaimst those opponents then he'll wont make it anywhere.

LostDoggy
27-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Seeing how poor Henderson is. Either Ratten knows nothing or Austin must be pretty bad not be able to stay on the Carlton list.

LostDoggy
28-04-2012, 12:47 AM
Seeing how poor Henderson is. Either Ratten knows nothing or Austin must be pretty bad not be able to stay on the Carlton list.

Henderson poor? Are you kidding!? Have you watched any Carlton games this year? He's been fantastic. One of the most improved players in the comp IMO

Remi Moses
28-04-2012, 12:52 AM

Gee, he was good tonight

LostDoggy
28-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Henderson was ok last night after a poor start. Last week got beaten by Cammeri last week. The ball rarely ventured into the freo forward line.
To say he has been fantastic is an exaggeration, serviceable is better.

LostDoggy
28-04-2012, 02:27 PM
FWIW I can't see us bringing Austin back for the Collingwood game.

Austin is going to get some more game time now , in for Hargrave , he had 92% game time against Melbourne and cramped towards the end , with Libba as the Sub against GWS it could be that Libba comes on for Austin unless there is an injury , as I stated earlier I believe we need Austin in against Collingwood