PDA

View Full Version : Welcome To The Bulldogs - Jack Redpath

Bulldog4life
16-12-2011, 12:16 PM
http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/redpath-marks-21st-birthday-as-bulldogs-select-him-in-afl-rookie-draft/2391970.aspx

Redpath marks 21st birthday as Bulldogs select him in AFL rookie draft
TRAVIS KING
14 Dec, 2011 04:00 AM
It was a 21st birthday to remember for Jack Redpath yesterday after the Kyneton footballer was selected by the Western Bulldogs in the AFL rookie draft.

Redpath, who has recovered from two left knee reconstructions, was shocked to be taken at number 62 by the Dogs.

“I can’t believe it. I was sitting with my mum and she was crying. It’s a dream come true,” Redpath said.

The power forward celebrated his birthday a few days early with family and friends at the weekend, between training sessions at Whitten Oval on Friday and Monday.

He performed well in training and during interviews, but was unsure whether he would be chosen to be a Bulldogs rookie-listed player.

“I didn’t really know because there’s a lot good players training down there,” Redpath said.

“I thought it was a good opportunity, but nothing would happen, but I trained really well and I started feeling like I am good enough.”

Redpath returned from injury with the Kyneton Tigers in the second half of last season and kicked 29 goals in nine games to lead the club’s goalkicking.

The former Bendigo Bombers player was pleased just to be back on the footy field again and could only dream of playing at the top level.

“I sort of thought I had the talent, but I thought after my second knee that it was just a bonus to be playing,” Redpath said.

Redpath said he “couldn’t be happier” to be picked by the Bulldogs and was looking forward to rejoining training today after being made feel welcome at the club.

Bulldogs recruiting manager Simon Dalrymple said Redpath had impressed at training and in an interview.

“Jack played a little bit at Bendigo (Bombers) in the last year and a half and he came on the scene late on the recommendation of Shannon Grant, who had a bit of involvement with him at Bendigo,” Dalrymple said.

“He’s a really strong individual who is really determined and we felt that at his size, he’s a powerful unit.

“We see him playing as a power forward and he fits that need for us.”

G-Mo77
16-12-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the article that was a full page (back page) spread on him the other day in the Bendigo Addy. There is a ton of expectations on him already around here.

bulldogtragic
16-12-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the article that was a full page (back page) spread on him the other day in the Bendigo Addy. There is a ton of expectations on him already around here.
That's half the problem. He was pick 62 in the rookie draft, we can't expect too much, especially with two knee reco's.

bornadog
16-12-2011, 02:00 PM
How many ex or current, Bendigo Bombers players have we picked up? Is this a mistake? Is Shannon Grant's eyes blinkered?

LostDoggy
16-12-2011, 02:04 PM
How many ex or current, Bendigo Bombers players have we picked up? Is this a mistake? Is Shannon Grant's eyes blinkered?

You have to ask yourself this question because if Esendon don't want them with their set-up, why would we?

Sockeye Salmon
16-12-2011, 02:59 PM
You have to ask yourself this question because if Esendon don't want them with their set-up, why would we?

They did want Dickson and Campbell.

I do worry that it looks like McCartney pulled rank wrt Smith and McCartney and Grant had a big say in another 3 of our draftees.

Dalrymple only picked 6 of the 10 new guys we picked up.

I would rather see our recruiter pick our draftees than our coaches.

Sedat
16-12-2011, 04:05 PM
They did want Dickson and Campbell.

I do worry that it looks like McCartney pulled rank wrt Smith and McCartney and Grant had a big say in another 3 of our draftees.

Dalrymple only picked 6 of the 10 new guys we picked up.

I would rather see our recruiter pick our draftees than our coaches.
Agree with this in theory but ultimately BMac will live and die by the win-loss ratio, so having been appointed to the head coaching position, he should be given the opportunity to cultivate his philosophies, tactics, game style and attitude across the playing group, and to that end if there are players he has been exposed to that fit his particular criteria, give him his head I say.

It's not as though Dalrymple didn't rate Smith, just that on talent alone he (allegedly) rated Crozier slightly higher. But if Smith has the attributes that BMac is looking for in seeing his vision for the team come to life then I'm not uncomfortable with him steering Dalrymple in that direction on a case-by-case basis.

LostDoggy
16-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Agree with this in theory but ultimately BMac will live and die by the win-loss ratio, so having been appointed to the head coaching position, he should be given the opportunity to cultivate his philosophies, tactics, game style and attitude across the playing group, and to that end if there are players he has been exposed to that fit his particular criteria, give him his head I say.

It's not as though Dalrymple didn't rate Smith, just that on talent alone he (allegedly) rated Crozier slightly higher. But if Smith has the attributes that BMac is looking for in seeing his vision for the team come to life then I'm not uncomfortable with him steering Dalrymple in that direction on a case-by-case basis.

I also have no issue with the coach influencing recruitment. His role is to say to the Recruitment guys, these are the types we need and if he then fails then it's on him.

Without this veto he has no opportunity to impose his game plan

My concern is that Essendon passed over these blokes when they were under their noses and then we come along with the view they will make it. One of us is wrong and I truly hope it's them because I would love to stick it up those priicks when we uncover a champion that they let slip through their fingers.

ledge
16-12-2011, 05:49 PM
I also have no issue with the coach influencing recruitment. His role is to say to the Recruitment guys, these are the types we need and if he then fails then it's on him.

My concern is that Essendon passed over these blokes when they were under their noses and then we come along with the view they will make it. One of us is wrong and I truly hope it's them because I would love to stick it up those priicks when we uncover a champion that they let slip through their fingers.

Essendon didnt pass over some of these blokes we got in before them.

Bulldog Joe
16-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Essendon didnt pass over some of these blokes we got in before them.

There would also be the issue with Redpath and Campbell that Essendon have a surplus of ruck and key position players.

JohnGentStand
16-12-2011, 10:40 PM
By this logic we passed over Hudson & J-Pod and Barlow? Who knows?

Remi Moses
16-12-2011, 11:55 PM
What do we have to lose?
It was a shallow draft, so you have to think outside the square.Also other teams and even Geelong have picked up a guy who hasn't player for seven odd years!!

ledge
28-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Just watched the Redpath interview on Bulldog website he is a big boy!

boydogs
28-12-2011, 08:31 PM

Agree, good post.

There is evidence that we just beat them to it on at least some of these picks. Besides, McCartney & Grant were the guys that would have advised on the selections at Essendon had they not moved across.

Bulldog4life
29-12-2011, 07:25 PM

Heard from a friend who has seen him play that he is a good mark and thumping kick too.

Dancin' Douggy
29-12-2011, 10:44 PM

STRUTH!!!. If he can play that is one serious unit.

ledge
30-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Just hope they had a good look at his knees before they chose him.
Royal had 2 knee recos before he got into AFL so it could be ok.

stefoid
24-01-2012, 10:44 AM
The coach wouldnt have had a clue about Smith, he just would have instructed the recruiting staff to pick the biggest, hardest midfielder they could identify.

So we went for needs pick 17 - Im Ok with this. I wouldnt have thought the need BM identified was a priority, but hes the coach and has been involved in many premierships at all levels, so.... yeah.

So the onus is on Dalrymple to pick the right big hard mid. Its still his pick. Along with Talia, Roberts, Jong & Greenwood.

The Underdog
24-01-2012, 01:18 PM
So the onus is on Dalrymple to pick the right big hard mid. Its still his pick. Along with Talia, Roberts, Jong & Greenwood.

Unlike Dickson, Campbell and Redpath who were picked by McCartney and/or Shannon Grant :)

chef
24-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Unlike Dickson, Campbell and Redpath who were picked by McCartney and/or Shannon Grant :)

They were suggested, with Dalrymple doing the research before giving the final yes. Simon jobs on the line with every draft so I can't see him just blindly recruiting guys because of what someone else wants.

GVGjr
24-01-2012, 09:16 PM
The coach wouldnt have had a clue about Smith, he just would have instructed the recruiting staff to pick the biggest, hardest midfielder they could identify.

I'm not so sure about this. I think the coach would have known a fair bit about him and I also believe Dalrymple had someone else in mind.

So we went for needs pick 17 - Im Ok with this. I wouldnt have thought the need BM identified was a priority, but hes the coach and has been involved in many premierships at all levels, so.... yeah.

The question of course is could we have followed Geelong's lead and traded for a lesser pick and still got the same player whilst improving our other picks?
FWIW, we always seem to be paying a premium for our early picks.

No doubt the coach was keen to add strength to the playing list.

LostDoggy
07-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Can someone tell me if Redpath is on the Right Path? (no pun intended ;))

Havent been following Williamstown this year unfortunately, but looking forward to following the Footscray VFL side.

Any chance of a senior debut this year or is he way off? What position(s) has he been playing?

SlimPickens
07-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Can someone tell me if Redpath is on the Right Path? (no pun intended ;))

Havent been following Williamstown this year unfortunately, but looking forward to following the Footscray VFL side.

Any chance of a senior debut this year or is he way off? What position(s) has he been playing?

Has been injured the last 3 or so weeks. Before that he was showing quite good form as a defender at VFL level. His disposal In the games I saw was quite good and he made some good decision. Did get lost a couple of times in the defensive contest with body positioning etc but there is plenty to work with. If he is ever to get a shot at AFL level it would have to be as a defender IMO.

Go_Dogs
07-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Has been injured the last 3 or so weeks. Before that he was showing quite good form as a defender at VFL level. His disposal In the games I saw was quite good and he made some good decision. Did get lost a couple of times in the defensive contest with body positioning etc but there is plenty to work with. If he is ever to get a shot at AFL level it would have to be as a defender IMO.

Do you feel he's done enough to warrant another year on the rookie list Slim?

SlimPickens
07-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Do you feel he's done enough to warrant another year on the rookie list Slim?

No not really. His injury probably came at the worst possible time for him. Depending on form over the last rounds and finals in the VFL, I'd say he is up against it.

The thing that may save him is the stad alone VFL side.

bornadog
11-06-2016, 10:15 PM
Finally has 20 games up and in good form. His marking has been fantastic as has been his accuracy shooting for goal.

Some highlights from today's game here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-06-11/big-jacks-path-to-glory-rd12), including his big tackle with seconds to go.

FrediKanoute
11-06-2016, 11:07 PM
4 very important goals - 3 in the first and 1 in the last when we needed it.

Worked well up the ground and provided a contest.

If there is a knock - he tends to get his goals in patches - 3 in the first - then nothing till the last - he went missing. Great asset though and wil get better and better

Ghost Dog
11-06-2016, 11:55 PM
For a guy labeled VFL quality on here, is doing a fantastic job in the AFL!
Is 4 a bag?

Remi Moses
12-06-2016, 12:43 AM
Been a real surprise packet . This bloke wants it desperately.
I think having his pathway people have a preconceived idea he isn't going to be good enough .

Sedat
12-06-2016, 02:55 AM
His hands have improved out of sight this season thus far - clunking them more often which is giving players confidence to feed it to him. His leading patterns are sound and his goal kicking action is textbook. Great story.

ledge
12-06-2016, 02:59 AM
He also moves up the ground, might not look mobile but I think he is . Also pretty quick in the first 10 metres.
Clinks marks first grab and if he doesn't get to it opponents know he is around. A bit of xxxx in him that's what Tom needs .

Twodogs
12-06-2016, 03:39 AM
The article in the OP is pretty interesting. Dalrymple gives his opinion on what sort of player Jack will be and he's right on the noggin.

I guess that's why he gets the big money.

Ghost Dog
12-06-2016, 05:49 AM
From AFL.com.au
5. Redpath was Dunstall-esque
"Lead out, chest mark, kick, goal." Popular ABC radio comic musicians The Coodabeens, coined the lyrics in reference to Hawks champ Jason Dunstall during the '90s. For a term Jack Redbpath was Dunstall re-born and his midfield seemed like it comprised Darren Jarman, John Platten and company. The timing of Redpath's first quarter lead-out marking was superb, and the delivery in to him was a flashback to the Hawks in the '90s. His conversion was superb and he had three goals by quarter-time. He then faded out of the match but put the stamp on his game with a strong contested mark and goal in the final term. The Dogs' ability hit lead-up forwards and take their chances was a feature of this win.

F'scary
12-06-2016, 02:56 PM
From AFL.com.au
5. Redpath was Dunstall-esque
"Lead out, chest mark, kick, goal." Popular ABC radio comic musicians The Coodabeens, coined the lyrics in reference to Hawks champ Jason Dunstall during the '90s. For a term Jack Redbpath was Dunstall re-born and his midfield seemed like it comprised Darren Jarman, John Platten and company. The timing of Redpath's first quarter lead-out marking was superb, and the delivery in to him was a flashback to the Hawks in the '90s. His conversion was superb and he had three goals by quarter-time. He then faded out of the match but put the stamp on his game with a strong contested mark and goal in the final term. The Dogs' ability hit lead-up forwards and take their chances was a feature of this win.

That was a top shelf mark in the goal square in the last quarter. Great use of his considerable strength and nice hands to go with it.

Rocco Jones
12-06-2016, 04:25 PM
Over his 5 games this season...
2nd highest average contested marks
2nd highest average marks inside 50
6th highest average goals

bulldogtragic
12-06-2016, 09:18 PM
I've got to say my concerns were primarily around his hands. They're a lot better now, but I've still got a few lingering concerns. But his leading on the mark and chest marks are much better. I do want to see him play with a lot of confidence from sustained good form to see if that takes him up another level.

Ozza
14-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Jack's going really really well.

14.4 in 5 games. Averaging 8 marks a game (including 3 contested). Stellar return.

He's now starting to get used as a hit up player through half-forward/middle of the ground also in different stages - which is helping him stay in the game.

Bulldog4life
14-06-2016, 02:35 PM
Jack's going really really well.

14.4 in 5 games. Averaging 8 marks a game (including 3 contested). Stellar return.

He's now starting to get used as a hit up player through half-forward/middle of the ground also in different stages - which is helping him stay in the game.

Yes he certainly is just not your stay at home full forward.His last tackle at half back was terrific. His physical presence in the forward line is a great plus too for the other players.When he jumps to spoil the ball and cracks the opposition player on the head instead is a thing of beauty.

hujsh
14-06-2016, 02:48 PM
Highest average goals a game and highest average marks a game is about all you can ask for from your key forward. IIRC his average goals per game this year is currently 2.8 which will equal 61.6 goals in a full season. Pretty good. Combined with Stringers 48 (again extrapolating) and whatever Dickson and Crameri (and presumably Boyd in time) want to contribute we have a real forward line functioning (obviously some averages will drop once the goals get shared around unless we start kicking 150 points a game).

GVGjr
18-06-2016, 01:01 PM
He has signed another deal until the end of 2017. Apparently 3 other clubs were interested.

bornadog
18-06-2016, 01:05 PM
He has signed another deal until the end of 2017. Apparently 3 other clubs were interested.

Not sure why he is given yearly deals. Deserves at least two years .

GVGjr
18-06-2016, 01:15 PM

It's going to be a trend going forward for many players I suspect. The star players will get longer deals.

The fact that Jack had 3 suitors and it still didn't result in a longer deal indicates to me this is how we see player deals.

I like the fact that we have been pro-active and got this finalised mid year.

comrade
18-06-2016, 01:25 PM

It's possible it was his decision. The new TV rights kick in from next year I believe, and with it, an increase in salary cap is expected.

He may be backing himself in to have a big year next year and earn himself more money, rather than locking in 2-3 years now on reduced payments.

bornadog
18-06-2016, 01:44 PM
Jack Redpath re-signs with Western Bulldogs rebuffing rival suitors in show of faith (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/jack-redpath-resigns-with-western-bulldogs-rebuffing-rival-suitors-in-show-of-faith/news-story/1235a9f939f1006d3018594940e950e7)

THE Western Bulldogs have secured Tom Boyd’s key position partner Jack Redpath on a new deal, with the 25-year-old rebuffing three rival suitors.

Critics of the Dogs’ multi-million dollar contract with Boyd had wondered if it would jeopardise the club’s chances of securing his teammates’ signatures.

But not only does Redpath believe he and Boyd can play together, he is thrilled with the club’s camaraderie and positive vibe under Luke Beveridge.

He is in the form of his career, kicking 14 goals in his past five games after overcoming hip issues during the summer and a season which started in the VFL.

Redpath’s manager Ryan Kogelman told the Herald Sun he had committed until the end of 2017 as a show of faith.

Clubs desperate for a key forward — and aware the upcoming national draft has few key position players — had been keen to lure him away from the Kennel.

Jack Redpath celebrates a goal against Port Adelaide. Picture: Sarah Reed
“There was a bit of interest from elsewhere. He was pretty well sought after but he has committed to the Dogs for next year and an announcement will come out shortly,’’ Kogelman said.

“The Dogs have been extremely good to him in the past and he has the opportunity to play that forward role.

“Tom Boyd plays a different role to him and so does Jake Stringer. The players want to stay and be part of it. Jack loves the camaraderie and bond the players have.”

The 194cm, 100kg power forward played senior football for Kyneton at 16 but eventually was elevated off the rookie list to make his debut in 2014.

He kicked 19 goals from 12 games last year but after mediocre VFL form was given a senior chance in Round 7 and kicked three goals against Adelaide.

The next week he took five contested marks to go with his three goals against Melbourne, with a Round 9 suspension his only blemish.

Taken at No.62 in the rookie draft in December 2011, he shapes as a key figure in the Dogs’ push towards its second premiership.

Bulldogs president Peter Gordon said this week the club’s long-term signing of key players showed it did not have future salary cap concerns.

Players re-signed until 2018 include Tom Liberatore, Jake Stinger, Easton Wood, Jackson Macrae, Mitch Wallis and Jordan Roughead.

Lachie Hunter and Marcus Bontempelli are signed until 2019 and Boyd’s seven-year deal worth over $6 million expires in 2021.

Veterans Matthew Boyd and Dale Morris are out of contract at the end of the year but have the form to play on again next year.

Rocco Jones
18-06-2016, 01:48 PM
It's possible it was his decision. The new TV rights kick in from next year I believe, and with it, an increase in salary cap is expected.

He may be backing himself in to have a big year next year and earn himself more money, rather than locking in 2-3 years now on reduced payments.

I would be very surprised if it wasn't his decision. His stocks are just starting to rise, but not yet at the stage to really cash in.

Bulldog4life
18-06-2016, 01:51 PM
Jack could also feel if Tom does take his place he will have the freedom to look at other offers in a year or two.

LostDoggy
18-06-2016, 01:53 PM
Read somewhere last week that Big Jack prefers to have the 1 year contracts as it keeps him playing on the edge and to not be in a comfort zone.

Twodogs
18-06-2016, 01:58 PM
There are no quotes from Damien Barrett in that article. I was expecting an "I might be wrong about the bulldogs not being able to sign their players to new contracts because of Tom Boyd" or "geez what a dickhead I must look" or something along those lines.

comrade
18-06-2016, 02:01 PM
I would be very surprised if it wasn't his decision. His stocks are just starting to rise, but not yet at the stage to really cash in.

My gut feel is that he'd never shaft us and leave anyway, after giving him a shot and persevering through some tough years. Also, the fact that he's one of the locker room heroes.

I reckon Stringer has a big one on the back of Jack's signing. He loves the big fella.

Rocco Jones
18-06-2016, 02:05 PM
My gut feel is that he'd never shaft us and leave anyway, after giving him a shot and persevering through some tough years. Also, the fact that he's one of the locker room heroes.

I reckon Stringer has a big one on the back of Jack's signing. He loves the big fella.

I have the same feeling too. I guess you can be loyal and smart at the same time too though.

westdog54
18-06-2016, 02:24 PM

I remember reading something about him preferring to sign yearly deals. I highly doubt it was the club's decision.