View Full Version : A man and his Dogs

NoseBleed
17-12-2011, 01:37 AM
A man and his Dogs

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a-man-and-his-dogs-20111216-1oyym.html

Martin Flanagan
December 17, 2011

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/12/16/2844712/art-svLIBERATORE-420x0.jpg

MANY people lament to me the loss of old-fashioned values from footy. That's why I've turned over my column this week to Tony "Libba" Liberatore. No one expected Libba to win the 1990 Brownlow Medal except his little Italian mother who didn't know much about footy but knew everything about her son. His critics said he was too short and too slow. North Melbourne got rid of him, the Dogs gave him a home.
The Dogs were an unfashionable, battling club. Libba felt at home. He was fantastically strong for his size and brilliant in close — like a Graeco-Roman wrestler, all over his opponents, getting beneath them and getting the ball and, if not getting the ball, holding the ball in as he did to end Essendon's 20-game winning streak in 2000. If anyone ever played footy like a bulldog, it was Libba.
Libba stayed in the game under coach Terry Wallace by becoming a more negative player. By the end of his career, he was one of those players who are fiercely loved by their own supporters and passionately disliked by others. Recently, he wrote me a letter about returning to the club with his old boxing coach, Danny Blake:
Advertisement: Story continues below
"Danny is my mentor in some ways. He was an amateur boxer, is 62 and in great nick, apart from the scars and wrinkles. Evidence of character building, I say. He trained us in my time at the club and still trains a few Carlton players. When Terry Wallace took over in 1997 he asked Danny to ramp up his program. We got flogged that pre-season — 5.30am starts six days a week, then we would finish with some boxing in the late afternoons. Mental toughness, they said — other clubs who heard about us used to say stupidity! But we were the most feared side in the competition back then.
Last week, Danny and I went back to the Kennel. As an ex-player, you still get this funny feeling. It's not like when you were playing — it's more a bit of anxiety, I guess. Funny, I always remember a specific time at Footscray — it was a mid-season break in the mid '90s and I went to the club. I was on my own. This morning was bloody freezing — 3 degrees, I think! Most of the boys had gone on a mid-season break. I did a session on the ground and then back into the gym. It dawned on me that I was an owner of my club — Footscray.
Terry Wheeler, who was my best coach, would often talk about owning the club, but I didn't get it until this particular day. 'Wheels' used to sit us on the ground in the clubrooms after training and want to know who we were as individuals. He knew the names of every player's mum and dad. That's awesome, I think. It was just as important to him as the footy. The boys used to play for him in the early '90s and we played a lot of finals. Going back to my point about ownership, from that moment on, the bond I had with my surroundings and facilities would last forever. Sounds weird having a bond with four walls and an oval. but that's how it felt. I was invincible. It was like I was Footscray.
While I was waiting for Danny, an old chap I recognised walked through the doors. It was Doc, an old copper. He told me that he was related to the new coach Brendan McCartney. Doc has aged a bit and had an indentation on his forehead which I never noticed before. You never know characters by first or last names at footy clubs. Wheels used to say that if the opposition knew your nickname then you're a good player. "Buddha" Hocking and I used to have some good stoushes on the footy ground but we would always shake hands after a game. I loved Buddha — he was my hero when I played. He also said he was expecting big things from my young bloke. Funny how blokes call him "the young bloke". "Tom's his name," I say.
Danny arrived and we wandered down to the elite learning centre — he was gobsmacked. "Klippo", the team manager, showed us around. The older players knew Danny — Murph, Gia, Crossy and Boydy. They shook his hand like he was a long-lost relation. The Dogs have got a strong leadership group. I love Boydy, our captain. His legs, with their bulging veins, are like a racehorse's. We watched a tough session, football and running. Some things don't change, like Monday and Friday would always be the hardest training sessions. You were usually too exhausted to do anything on Saturday or Sunday.
Dahlhaus looked slick. Markovic, who had a great year, looked bigger and stronger and the X factor, Zephaniah Skinner, had a spring in his step. This young indigenous boy has loads of ability. They did eight 400s with a 10-second break, then half a dozen 300s to follow. It sounds weird but, gee, I miss that part of training.
I never used to get it when players said they hated training. It was bloody hard, though. You would never show your pain. Danny used to always say, 'Show no facial expression when you're hurting, have a deadpan face!' I never forgot that saying. My way of using the hurt was to yap it up and spur on the boys.
Klippo told me that Eddie Walsh was crook. Eddie is the property steward at the club. He's been there for 70 odd years — incredible! "He is in the Western General. Make sure you visit him," yelled Klippo. I said I would. There is a great photo of Eddie in the property room with his mates. Jack McGovern (deceased), Jacko, and Billy Woods. There is a great caption underneath that photo. It reads, "None of Us Is As Good As All of Us". This was their footy team.
Danny and I walked back to the foyer for a cuppa and we reminisced about the old days. We spoke about the change and the culture, the players and staff. We both left the fantastic new facilities, which now include a cafe called the Pound. Love the name! As I jumped into my car my heart beat a little faster, there was something about training that reminded me of '97. Was it the look in the eyes of the players I met, or was I hoping like hell we could win a flag in 2012?
I'm sure the scribes will write us off. I used to love playing when our backs were to the wall or we had been written off. This year, I will sit with Mum and the kids every week and watch the Dogs from afar in the outer at Etihad Stadium. I'll sit in silence, but inside I'll be churning and praying like hell we win. That elusive flag still beckons, the passion and character in the boys is evident. Believe it or not, luck plays a huge part in finals and we didn't have that between the 2008 and 2010.
Live your dreams boys and BELIEVE IN YOURSELVES. Let the game consume you and you'll find strength of mind, body and soul. That's how it worked for me. Enjoy the ride, it's the greatest game in the world. Yes, the club will always be there but not one flag since 1954 seems so unjust. But this is AFL football — it takes no prisoners. It is BRUTAL, as one of my old coaches use to say. So give it all you've got boys! Go Dogs!

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a-man-and-his-dogs-20111216-1oyym.html#ixzz1ghjGnGOP

mjp
17-12-2011, 02:04 AM
Awesome.

jazzadogs
17-12-2011, 02:11 AM
That was great...really enjoyable read. Great to hear a past player getting involved and loving what they're seeing. If Libba likes it, we really must be doing a lot of contested work!

Didn't know Eddie Walsh was crook though, hope it's nothing too serious! All the best to him.

Go_Dogs
17-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Great read.

Bulldog Joe
17-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Just WOW.

Magnificently written - You just feel the passion.

Love the sense of 97 that Libba feels.

Don't write off our chances. GO DOGS!!!!!!!

ledge
17-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Now this is a man who had a stoush with the club because he loves it, like Hawkins and a few others over the years its a stoush because it hurts them to see the club not doing well, dont ever think just because a player has a disagreement with the club its because they dont like the club its because they LOVE the club!

ledge
17-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Actually wouldnt mind hearing Maccas thoughts on bringing old players back to a club as a team building exercise.

LostDoggy
17-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Great read. Brought a tear to my eye!!

Ghost Dog
17-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I'll never forget Libba's brownlow speech. Such a softly spoken, gentle man. He writes well doesn't he?
The tough hardened features belie a softer side
Yeah, it almost brought a tear to my eye as well.

Bulldog4life
17-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I love Libba.

1eyedog
17-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Libba aside, we are getting some love from the media again for next year.

the banker
17-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Our media liaison has worked extremely well since the end of the season. We have had lots of exposure. Lots of human interest stories.

Libba spirit resurrected at Whitten Oval. Looking forward to 2012.

angelopetraglia
17-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Fantastic read. Love watching Libba play the game, left nothing on the field.

KT31
18-12-2011, 01:02 AM
Great read and love how Libba mentioned the Squirrel as his best coach.

LostDoggy
18-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Well written and a fantastic story

w3design
18-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Great read was at the the pound cafe on wednesday night for meet the recruits dinner .Kevin hillier was the M.C and said look its and flash back there was Peter Foster Steve Wallis Super the PIE MAN Jose Ramero and Hunter all there for a meeting with the coach and Dalrymple about how the future father sons would be treated going forward and that there was no certainty that they would be picked just informing and keeping them up to date that they are strongly considering there sons . Found it interesting that Beasley son is still on the radar i thought he had chosen rowing at yale. Is he still playing football with hunters boy at school. Also does Super and Foster have any sons if so how old are they.

ledge
18-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Is Hunters boy available next year?

chef
18-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Is Hunters boy available next year?

Yes.

bornadog
18-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Libba played his guts out every week for the club. A man with limited natural talent and skills played on pure determination and a very hard work ethic. Sometimes I hear people say he never deserved the Brownlow in 1990, but I say to them, did you go to every game in 1990?, I did and he well and truly deserved it. In 1997 when he had to reinvent himself, he scared the pants off players twice as big as him. He was scared of nothing, and went in even harder than previously and again gave his all.

Some modern day players can learn a lot from the way Libba approached the game.

ledge
18-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Yes.

Well thats one draft pick taken then, I hear he is a pretty good player.

ratsmac
18-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Inspiring. Gee I miss watching the Wynd and Libba combination!

Twodogs
18-12-2011, 08:39 PM
I've got a 10 yo daughter. Her middle name is Liberatore. She loves it.

Ghost Dog
18-12-2011, 11:43 PM
http://images.smh.com.au/2011/08/20/2571350/art-svTAGGING-420x0.jpg
Classic duel, 1997

“When coaches say someone's untaggable, I find that a bit hard to believe.”

Well, I guess now they are so soft on holding the jumper, hands in the back or behind the play, maybe certain players are untaggable??

A classic bit of vision
5eD5dOKAQYk

GVGjr
19-12-2011, 06:40 AM
Well thats one draft pick taken then, I hear he is a pretty good player.
I doubt it will be an early draft pick.

LostDoggy
19-12-2011, 10:28 AM
This piece articulates why I rate Libba the second greatest Bulldog ever - only behind EJ.

LostDoggy
19-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Libba played his guts out every week for the club. A man with limited natural talent and skills played on pure determination and a very hard work ethic. Sometimes I hear people say he never deserved the Brownlow in 1990, but I say to them, did you go to every game in 1990?, I did and he well and truly deserved it. In 1997 when he had to reinvent himself, he scared the pants off players twice as big as him. He was scared of nothing, and went in even harder than previously and again gave his all.

Some modern day players can learn a lot from the way Libba approached the game.

Bornadog, you said exactly what I was thinking - that man played his heart out every week. We used to say that eventually they will find he has a heart as big as Pharlaps. Gave his all to the club week in and week out. Great read and made my heart swell with pride!

ledge
19-12-2011, 06:13 PM
I doubt it will be an early draft pick.

Not much faith in him GVGjr?

Sockeye Salmon
19-12-2011, 06:18 PM
This piece articulates why I rate Libba the second greatest Bulldog ever - only behind EJ.

There's a can of worms to open right there.

I loved Libba, but at a guess, he would barely scrape into my top ten.

KT31
20-12-2011, 12:16 AM

I agree, mind you if we had to select a side on heart and determination Libba would be right up there.

Desipura
20-12-2011, 07:50 AM

I loved Libba, but at a guess, he would barely scrape into my top ten.Agree totally, all heart and determination but not the most skillful playing going around.
Got the most out of his limited ability through his magnificent attitude.
I should add he was inspirational, who could ever forget the tackle on Scott Lucas, probably won us the game in the end.
Thats one of many tackles, averaged about 100 a year!

LostDoggy
20-12-2011, 09:40 AM

Not talking about skill. To a large extent, you are born with that or at least the ability to develop skills.

Talking about passion for the game and the club, talking about sacrificing his game for the team, talking about raw courage, talking about giving 100% everytime he hit the field, talking about fighting out of his weight division, talking about overcoming lack of skills and talking about completely changing his game for the betterment of the team.

These are qualities within the individual. No Bulldog delved within to exhibit those qualities like EJ and Libba.

Sockeye Salmon
20-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Not talking about skill. To a large extent, you are born with that or at least the ability to develop skills.

Talking about passion for the game and the club, talking about sacrificing his game for the team, talking about raw courage, talking about giving 100% everytime he hit the field, talking about fighting out of his weight division, talking about overcoming lack of skills and talking about completely changing his game for the betterment of the team.

These are qualities within the individual. No Bulldog delved within to exhibit those qualities like EJ and Libba.

Absolutely.

To say he was the 2nd greatest Bulldog ever, though? Steve Kretiuk busted his guts out every week against bigger opponents too, but as much as I loved Kritter, he wouldn't be up there for me either.

The guts of it is, it's your rating, you can whatever you like.

Dancin' Douggy
20-12-2011, 08:25 PM
The other thing is it's about favourites, not necessarily best.

Some great players just don't turn you on.
Some lesser players maybe just appeal to you.

For example, I really don't find Jennifer Hawkins attractive.
U2 bore me to death.
And I don't really like chocolate bars.

anfo27
20-12-2011, 11:42 PM

Great post. Libba would be my most admired sportsman ever. Libba is an exception to the rule that you have to be a certain type of player to make it. Libba was too short, too slow & just didn't have enough skills to make it but his heart, desire & resilience not only got him a shot but he left the game with one of the most decorated CVs ever.
If i'm not mistaken Libba is the only player in history to win a Morrish medal, (2) Gardiner medal & Brownlow medal. To achieve all of this with limited ability but a massive heart & belief is a credit to him & his family. Libba epitomises the word underdog.
Having said all that Chris Grant is my favourite all time dog.

ledge
21-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Great post. Libba would be my most admired sportsman ever. Libba is an exception to the rule that you have to be a certain type of player to make it. Libba was too short, too slow & just didn't have enough skills to make it but his heart, desire & resilience not only got him a shot but he left the game with one of the most decorated CVs ever.
If i'm not mistaken Libba is the only player in history to win a Morrish medal, (2) Gardiner medal & Brownlow medal. To achieve all of this with limited ability but a massive heart & belief is a credit to him & his family. Libba epitomises the word underdog.

If players are judged on medals he is the greatest of all time.

Sockeye Salmon
21-12-2011, 10:46 AM
If players are judged on medals he is the greatest of all time.

Hayden Bunton's 3 Brownlows and 3 Sandovers probably has him covered.

Before I Die
22-12-2011, 12:23 AM
The other thing is it's about favourites, not necessarily best.

Some great players just don't turn you on.
Some lesser players maybe just appeal to you.

For example, I really don't find Jennifer Hawkins attractive.
U2 bore me to death.
And I don't really like chocolate bars.

Now you are just being silly :eek:

LostDoggy
22-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Now you are just being silly :eek:

Hmm.. I don't love chocolate either. Didn't eat it for years and only do now because my wife fancies herself a chocolate "connoisseur" and gets 'really good' ones. I can't tell the difference, mind you. Scotch, rioja, jamon, sashimi -- I can taste every nuance. Chocolate to me however just tastes like heavy, milky mass whether it costs 50 cents or 50 dollars.

ps. Jennifer Hawkins -- meh. She's a pretty face, but pretty bland.

pps. U2, we've been in the pit, two rows from the stage, the past couple of times they've toured here, and we actually met Bono's wife last year (we used to see her sometimes as the apartment we live in when I'm in NY for work is in the same complex on the upper west side, but we actually met last year at one of the many charity events my sister-in-law organises for the Trump-lite set). Having said that.. great live band, but other than a couple of classics, I DON'T LOVE THEIR MUSIC. (Don't tell my wife!)

So, Dancing Douggy, I get you man.

ppps. Libba is awesome, and Flanagan's wonderful article still made Libba better than he's ever been. I can't think of another player that has embodied the Bulldogs battling underdog past more than the wee man (EJ was actually successful), and it's probably poetically but tragically apt (in the sense of a Homeric Greek tragedy) that it was Libba's clear but disallowed goal in the '97 prelim that robbed us of a modern day premiership.

LostDoggy
22-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Hmm.. I don't love chocolate either. Didn't eat it for years and only do now because my wife fancies herself a chocolate "connoisseur" and gets 'really good' ones. I can't tell the difference, mind you. Scotch, rioja, jamon, sashimi -- I can taste every nuance. Chocolate to me however just tastes like heavy, milky mass whether it costs 50 cents or 50 dollars.

pps. U2, we've been in the pit, two rows from the stage, the past couple of times they've toured here, and we actually met Bono's wife last year (we used to see her sometimes as the apartment we live in when I'm in NY for work is in the same complex on the upper west side, but we actually met last year at one of the many charity events my sister-in-law organises for the Trump-lite set). Having said that.. great live band, but other than a couple of classics, I DON'T LOVE THEIR MUSIC. (Don't tell my wife!)

ppps. Libba is awesome, and Flanagan's wonderful article still made Libba better than he's ever been. I can't think of another player that has embodied the Bulldogs battling underdog past more than the wee man (EJ was actually successful), and it's probably poetically but tragically apt (in the sense of a Homeric Greek tragedy) that it was Libba's clear but disallowed goal in the '97 prelim that robbed us of a modern day premiership.

Having read that I finally feel at peace with that dreadful day. Until this, I thought Con Gorizidis was the only Greek tragedy connected to the Dogs :D

Desipura
22-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Having read that I finally feel at peace with that dreadful day. Until this, I thought Con Gorizidis was the only Greek tragedy connected to the Dogs :D
There is no such thing as a greek tragedy, they were just unlucky, much like their current economy.

Sedat
22-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Libba's ability was underrated. He single handedly revolutionized the modern game with his defensive capabilities, particularly in tackling. Before Libba came onto the scene, tackling was almost an after thought. He took the skill up about 10 notches, regularly doubling the next best tackler in the league (usually Paul Kelly). These days tackling and defensive pressure are arguably the most important weapons in the arsenal of every single player in the AFL - Libba was a massive influence on this.

Dancin' Douggy
23-12-2011, 09:19 PM

You know when I was typing that post I was trying to rack my brain for a universally admired player who was considered a champion by all, but I just found dull and uninteresting. Now I've come up with two.
S. Kernahan. and G. Lyon.
Yaaaaaaaaawn. Boring in the media as well. Dull, efficient and serious men.