PDA

View Full Version : Robertson, yay or nay?

Topdog
16-09-2007, 11:15 AM
He has indicated that he will come to us if he leaves Melbourne, do you want him? If so, what do you give up?

IMO if he decides to leave Melbourne we should try and get him for free in the pre season draft. I think he would cost too much via a trade and I'm not prepared to lose much for someone like him.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22424023%255E19742,00.html (linkage)

"Yeah, it's true," he said. "The Bulldogs need a forward.

"When you come out of contract I think a lot of guys get talked to and the Bulldogs have been at the forefront of that.

"They are a great club and, if you were going to play for another club, they would be a place you would like to go."

DOG GOD
16-09-2007, 11:27 AM
dont want him....has rawlings written all over it.

The Coon Dog
16-09-2007, 11:49 AM
He's one guy I love to watch.

Unfortunately I think he's been hampered too much by injuries over the past couple of years & I can't see that improving.

As much as I like Robbo, I wouldn't be prepared to a) offer up too much in a trade or b) offer him a THREE year deal as has been reported in the press.

Mofra
16-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Would cost too much. If we had a shot at the PSD I'd consider it.

Wouldn't want him to delay the development of a Tiller or McEvoy/Henderson

Twodogs
16-09-2007, 12:06 PM
I'm wavering.

Depends on Melbourne's attitude and what they want in return. If Robbo nominates us and the Dees are prepared to be reasonable I'd think of offering three years. Short story is I can see a spot for him and he'd be valuable so probably yes.

Sockeye Salmon
16-09-2007, 12:11 PM
You'd want to pick him up pretty cheap.

Twodogs
16-09-2007, 12:24 PM

Very cheap.

Maybe Eagleton cheap.

Go_Dogs
16-09-2007, 12:33 PM
I'd take him, but agree that it would have to be VERY cheap.

The Underdog
16-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Very cheap.

Maybe Eagleton cheap.

I'd prefer pre-season draft cheap, but Eagleton's about the right price if it's a player.
You wouldn't want ot give up anyone with more than 2 or 3 years left in the game

Twodogs
16-09-2007, 12:35 PM
I'd prefer pre-season draft cheap, but Eagleton's about the right price if it's a player.
You wouldn't want ot give up anyone with more than 2 or 3 years left in the game

Dunno why but I just reckon that Eagle would be a good fit at Melbourne.

The Underdog
16-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Dunno why but I just reckon that Eagle would be a good fit at Melbourne.

I can see where you're coming from. They have good in and under clearance guys like Jones and McLean to feed it to him outside. Potentially could do very well there.

Dry Rot
16-09-2007, 12:55 PM
I read a good post from an opposition fan on BF stating that we need a proper KPP forward, even if they're not flash, to straighten us up and teach us to kick directly, while we hopefully develop a good one (dunno who).

Robbo is a good player, but I hope it doesn't divert us from getting a ruckman or a genuine forward KPP.

southerncross
16-09-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm wavering.

Depends on Melbourne's attitude and what they want in return. If Robbo nominates us and the Dees are prepared to be reasonable I'd think of offering three years. Short story is I can see a spot for him and he'd be valuable so probably yes.

Same here.

Providing his manager isn't just trying to squeeze a bit more out of the Dees the cost from a trade perspective, his fitness and the money that he will demand might be the show stoppers.

The Underdog
16-09-2007, 01:07 PM
I read a good post from an opposition fan on BF stating that we need a proper KPP forward, even if they're not flash, to straighten us up and teach us to kick directly, while we hopefully develop a good one (dunno who).

Robbo is a good player, but I hope it doesn't divert us from getting a ruckman or a genuine forward KPP.

I think this is what someone like McGregor would provide. Everyone knows he's no superstar, but if you use him in this role he can be effective. Robbo would actually be a better pickup if we had a player to do this, for him to work with.
They may prefer to try and develop someone from inside over pre-season to fill this role, although I doubt McDougall will get another shot at it, he seems to have blown it earlier this year.
I think it would have to be someone young like Williams.

The Doctor
16-09-2007, 01:07 PM
yay

on condition it's via PSD only.

Send Eagle back to SA for McGregor.

then we get both!

The Underdog
16-09-2007, 01:09 PM
yay

on condition it's via PSD only.

Send Eagle back to SA for McGregor.

then we get both!

Forward line of Johnno, McGregor, Robbo.
Sounds a little more potent

Twodogs
16-09-2007, 01:27 PM
although I doubt McDougall will get another shot at it, he seems to have blown it earlier this year.

I dunno. I reckon he might have come back into contention with a few good late season performances in defence. A lot depends on this Mifsud thing-he was working with him and Doogs was starting to show some benefit.

Mofra
16-09-2007, 01:32 PM
If we draft a KPP forward, a 2-3 year timeframe might suit us as the kid develops at Werribee.

The Underdog
16-09-2007, 01:34 PM
I dunno. I reckon he might have come back into contention with a few good late season performances in defence. A lot depends on this Mifsud thing-he was working with him and Doogs was starting to show some benefit.

He'd need to have strong pre-season and attack the ball like a man possessed. He's got the tools, but it's as we know the mental side is a question. I think he needs to make up some ground with Rocket to have a shot at FF again. Could imagine them trying to teach Tommy the position over summer.
Be interested to see who we pick up as a new development guy to replace Mifsud.

Twodogs
16-09-2007, 01:42 PM
He'd need to have strong pre-season and attack the ball like a man possessed. He's got the tools, but it's as we know the mental side is a question. I think he needs to make up some ground with Rocket to have a shot at FF again. Could imagine them trying to teach Tommy the position over summer.
Be interested to see who we pick up as a new development guy to replace Mifsud.

IMO it's the pivotal appointment this year.

Go_Dogs
16-09-2007, 01:44 PM
A close second to having a football operations manager for mine, Twodogs.

Twodogs
16-09-2007, 01:48 PM
A close second to having a football operations manager for mine, Twodogs.

Isnt that Eade?

LostDoggy
16-09-2007, 03:15 PM
i think that instead of luring McGregor, we should give the likes of Wayde Skipper and McDougall another chance, preferably skip. He showed in the last couple of rounds that he could take an overhead mark and eade obviously rated him enough to keep him on the list. He is also a really good kick. We just need a big target up forward for Johnno and possibly Robertson to rove from, and obviously robbo would go for the fly every now and then.

LostDoggy
16-09-2007, 04:33 PM
skipper and mcdougall just dont have. they are lucky to still be on afl lists. they have been around for 5 or 6 yrs. time to move on. robbo isnt the answer. the answer is in the draft! (eg hawthorn)

southerncross
16-09-2007, 04:59 PM
skipper and mcdougall just dont have. they are lucky to still be on afl lists. they have been around for 5 or 6 yrs. time to move on. robbo isnt the answer. the answer is in the draft! (eg hawthorn)

Sorry but I think both Skipper and McDougall deserve to be on our list for another season.

BulldogBelle
16-09-2007, 05:08 PM
I am all for us recruiting Robbo if he decides that his current club is not where he wants to be at - he has acknowledged the Bulldogs' interest in him and that if it didn't work out at Melb he would be quite happy to play for us. He won't be as costly as Fev and whatever the club sees fit to give up for him then so be it. After all, it is they who know best!

Twodogs
16-09-2007, 05:17 PM
I think the club are looking fondly at how well our forward line functioned last year with the Big Sexy type Robbo up and running-did he kick 45 goals in 2006?

What's Russell's defensive efforts like? Cant say I've ever payed much attention with all the other stuff that's usually happeneing whenever Robbo's near the ball.

Go_Dogs
16-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Isnt that Eade?

Well, if that is Eade's title, make up a new one and employ someone in a position to help assist Eade and lessen his responsibilities. Having a Neil Balme or Peter Rhode etc in that position is important. Melbourne have also gone this route for the coming season.

Twodogs
16-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Well, if that is Eade's title, make up a new one and employ someone in a position to help assist Eade and lessen his responsibilities. Having a Neil Balme or Peter Rhode etc in that position is important. Melbourne have also gone this route for the coming season.

A fair bit was made when Eade first signed about him being more of a 'manager type' (like in EPL) rather than just a coach. IIRC he was was going to have to some say in player contracts, list management etc, etc.

But I agree with you-it's too big a job for one man.

Go_Dogs
16-09-2007, 06:07 PM
A fair bit was made when Eade first signed about him being more of a 'manager type' (like in EPL) rather than just a coach. IIRC he was was going to have to some say in player contracts, list management etc, etc.

But I agree with you-it's too big a job for one man.

Fair enough, and if it's an area that Eade's interested in, we shouldn't prevent him from having some input. I'd just like to see him more dedicated to teaching, and developing the players and game plan - rather than have to be overly concerned with all the extras. But at the same time, if Eade is comfortable with the way it's working, and the board is, perhaps it won't change.

The Underdog
16-09-2007, 07:14 PM
i think that instead of luring McGregor, we should give the likes of Wayde Skipper and McDougall another chance, preferably skip. He showed in the last couple of rounds that he could take an overhead mark and eade obviously rated him enough to keep him on the list. He is also a really good kick. We just need a big target up forward for Johnno and possibly Robertson to rove from, and obviously robbo would go for the fly every now and then.

I think Skipper's proved he is not a Key Position forward. He's a reasonable ruckman who is unfortunately 6ft 4. He occasionally takes a contested mark. He's a backup ruckman atm, pure and simple, assuming Will is fit and shows some form. Was good towards the end of the season but I wouldn't be putting my house on him to keep it up.

Bulldog Revolution
16-09-2007, 09:30 PM
If Robertson checks out medically then I am all for adding him to the mix

If Melbourne dont want to sign him for 3 years then it will be hard for them to trade him for a premium - I see him as potentially a 3rd round pick

Sedat
16-09-2007, 10:54 PM
He is only slightly younger, virtually the same height and is less credentialled than Brad Johnson in the "playing above his height" key forward role. Why on Earth would we go after a facsimile copy of what we already have. That's not even factoring in the injuries that have plagued him in recent seasons.

We got Ricky Jackson to our club because he used to perform well against us (especially in Round 22 1987, 20 years on and I still haven't forgotten) and he didn't even play one game for us. Trading for Russel Robertson feels the same - it seems as though we are going after him only because of his performances against us in the past. Same rationale behind getting Daniel Bandy, who at least had half a good season with us.

Robertson is a very good footballer, but ask yourself what hole he will fill for us at 184cms and at 28yo. We had 3 footballers at that height or taller kicking 25+ goals each this season in the non-traditional forward role. Why oh why would we bring yet another one into the mix, one who has a very limited shelf life.

Sockeye Salmon
16-09-2007, 11:27 PM
I got this second hand so take it with a grain of salt, but I was told earlier tonight that the club fully expects Robertson to ask Melbourne to trade him to us, then it will be down to how reasonable they will be.

Dry Rot
17-09-2007, 12:22 AM
I got this second hand so take it with a grain of salt, but I was told earlier tonight that the club fully expects Robertson to ask Melbourne to trade him to us, then it will be down to how reasonable they will be.

In terms of say draft picks, what do you think "reasonable" is?

MrMahatma
17-09-2007, 04:54 AM
It's always good to add class to our squad, but the cost is where it all counts.

Aker was good to get for a 2nd rounder. In fact, we got Aker AND McDougall for a single 2nd rounder last year. But we also could've picked up Krakoer who Clayton was tossing up on using pick 11 on - so if McDougall doesn't come good, in 3 years we may regret that trade (provided Krakoer comes on).

That's the gamble with trading. There's always SOME cost.

I'd be happy with Robbo in the team - but in the end he's not something we NEED so wouldn't pay much for him.

Having said that, he and Johno would be a pretty deadly combo on the FF line.

Sockeye Salmon
17-09-2007, 10:37 AM
In terms of say draft picks, what do you think "reasonable" is?

Pick 22. Only because he might only have 3 years left.

Ideally, I love to trade him for Eagleton but I doubt it would happen.

Dry Rot
17-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Pick 22. Only because he might only have 3 years left.

Ideally, I love to trade him for Eagleton but I doubt it would happen.

Yep, seems pretty fair.

Would still rather spend that pick on a good up and coming ruckman though.

dog town
17-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Any chance we could snare him in the PSD? Pretty unlikely I would say but we are reasonably high in the pecking order and with Judd likely to chew up the salary cap of one of the sides above us we could be a chance if we could get him through to the PSD.

Robertson is a good player and would add to our forward line particularly if we can also pick up a reasonable genuine tall but as others have said you wouldn't want to part with anything in your long term plans given his age and injury history. Not knowing much about Bailey and his plans I am not sure what Melbourne would be after.

Eagleton simply has to be bait if we are looking to be a major trade player this season. He is getting towards the end and is running out of currency and while he might still be good value next season he will drop away soon after that. Thats the best way to trade IMO. Dont think he will go to the dees but he would be one of the first guys I would offer up purely because of his age when compared to the likes of Ray and Mcmahon. If we have no takers then we just hold onto him.

Dry Rot
17-09-2007, 11:17 AM
What about the close personal ties between Cooney and the Eagleton family? Would this be a factor?

Twodogs
17-09-2007, 11:20 AM
What about the close personal ties between Cooney and the Eagleton family? Would this be a factor?

First I've heard of it. What's this about?

Bulldog Revolution
17-09-2007, 11:25 AM
IMO Its highly unlikely that Eagleton will be traded - a first year coach would be unlikely to recruit a 30 year old - and Eagleton has more value to us than anyone else - we just wouldn't get enough for him to make trading him worthwhile

dog town
17-09-2007, 11:38 AM
IMO Its highly unlikely that Eagleton will be traded - a first year coach would be unlikely to recruit a 30 year old - and Eagleton has more value to us than anyone else - we just wouldn't get enough for him to make trading him worthwhile Yeah most likely you are right but thats why I suggested it 2 seasons ago. Nothing to do with Eagletons form but why hold onto guys that are going to struggle to get a game in a years time. We should just be opportunistic about it. If someone shows interest then see what you can get. If only Sheedy were still at Essnedon we might have been able to convince him to replace Scott Camporeale with him :) .

Dry Rot
17-09-2007, 11:49 AM

Good familiy friends IIRC and Cooney worshipped Eagleton when he was young - used to wear his socks.

Twodogs
17-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Good familiy friends IIRC and Cooney worshipped Eagleton when he was young - used to wear his socks.

Ok. Maybe that's why Eagleton wont pull his socks up, because Cooney's got them.

Dry Rot
17-09-2007, 11:57 AM
I hope they're not sharing jocks.....

Sockeye Salmon
17-09-2007, 12:01 PM

Eagleton was really important to Cooney in his firast year or two in Melbourne. There was a fluff story in the paper when Cooney was first drafted about the West Adelaide links and how Eagleton gave Cooney Bulldogs shorts and socks.

Twodogs
17-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Eagleton was really important to Cooney in his firast year or two in Melbourne. There was a fluff story in the paper when Cooney was first drafted about the West Adelaide links and how Eagleton gave Cooney Bulldogs shorts and socks.

Actually I've got a vague memory of reading about that. I try and avoid fluff pieces though.

The Coon Dog
17-09-2007, 12:08 PM
They even come from the same junior club, which ended up with $3,000 after a NAB Cup match last season when they kicked 3 super goals between them.

Twodogs
17-09-2007, 12:10 PM
They even come from the same junior club, which ended up with $3,000 after a NAB Cup match last season when they kicked 3 super goals between them.

You're a bit obssesed with these super goals, Baz!

The Coon Dog
17-09-2007, 12:22 PM
You're a bit obssesed with these super goals, Baz!

Looks that way.

I remember the Prismall one as my son plays for Werribee Juniors & when Eagle (2) & Coons kicked theirs the big screen at TD showed their junior club (can't remember off hand, tho Hollywood springs to mind) & I remembered it was the same club.

You had left by then, FDOTM wasn't making any sense & Paul was loud & bladdered.

Twodogs
17-09-2007, 12:26 PM
You had left by then, FDOTM wasn't making any sense & Paul was loud & bladdered.

That's pretty normal on all three counts.:D

westdog54
17-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Looks that way.

I remember the Prismall one as my son plays for Werribee Juniors & when Eagle (2) & Coons kicked theirs the big screen at TD showed their junior club (can't remember off hand, tho Hollywood springs to mind) & I remembered it was the same club.

Happy Valley Junior FC IIRC.

LostDoggy
17-09-2007, 02:55 PM

Thats right, I remember an article with a photo in the Herald Sun showing him at West Adelaide training wearing Bulldogs tights.

Sockeye Salmon
17-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Thats right, I remember an article with a photo in the Herald Sun showing him at West Adelaide training wearing Bulldogs tights.

That sounds so gay.

Twodogs
17-09-2007, 03:39 PM

Skins, not bloody tights!

Twodogs
17-09-2007, 03:39 PM
That sounds so gay.

Did you get my text on saturday night? (No, it wasnt about gayness)

Sockeye Salmon
17-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Did you get my text on saturday night? (No, it wasnt about gayness)

A got a text about North Melbourne but it didn't come from your mobile. I didn't recognise the number but I assume that's the one you're talking about?

Twodogs
17-09-2007, 04:42 PM
A got a text about North Melbourne but it didn't come from your mobile. I didn't recognise the number but I assume that's the one you're talking about?

It's my new mobile number. Has been for about three months now.

LostDoggy
17-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Skins, not bloody tights!

LOL :D ,

sorry guys, first off I was going to say leg-ins, but I thought that sounded worse...!!

The Coon Dog
17-09-2007, 05:48 PM

You'll have to PM me with your new number, I only have your old one.

LostDoggy
17-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Happy Valley Junior FC IIRC.

Cooney played at Flagstaff Hill FC and then West Adelaide

Eagleton was with Port but I don't recall which club before that.

southerncross
17-09-2007, 06:19 PM
It's an intriguing prospect to get Roberston to the Dogs. At 187cm tall he is hardly the answer to the power forward that Eade has flagged that we need but it was only a couple of years ago when he kicked a bag of goals.

To make this work I think we would need to get another more genuine key forward to compliment having Roberston and Johnson up forward as well.

Is there any other decent forward prospects being mentioned?
How much would we have to part with to get Robertson to the Dogs assuming the whole Eagleton to the Dees just isn't going to happen?

dog town
17-09-2007, 06:30 PM
It's an intriguing prospect to get Roberston to the Dogs. At 187cm tall he is hardly the answer to the power forward that Eade has flagged that we need but it was only a couple of years ago when he kicked a bag of goals.

To make this work I think we would need to get another more genuine key forward to compliment having Roberston and Johnson up forward as well.

Is there any other decent forward prospects being mentioned?
How much would we have to part with to get Robertson to the Dogs assuming the whole Eagleton to the Dees just isn't going to happen? Someone said pick 22 earlier. That seems about right. He is getting older and has injury issues but the dees wont just let him go as they rate him very highly.

southerncross
17-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Someone said pick 22 earlier. That seems about right. He is getting older and has injury issues but the dees wont just let him go as they rate him very highly.

So anything more would be too much? I just doubt that the Dees will let him go for that and might want a bit more.

dog town
17-09-2007, 07:19 PM
So anything more would be too much? I just doubt that the Dees will let him go for that and might want a bit more. IMO it would be too much.

Dry Rot
17-09-2007, 07:45 PM
IMO it would be too much.

I suppose our crap season finish does make this interesting.

Robbo certainly isn't worth say Picks 1-12. Doubt the top 6 clubs would want him (or sacrifice their first round pick for him), so if the Tiges and Blues don't want him, then our second round pick comes in next.

Sockeye Salmon
17-09-2007, 08:17 PM

Now I'm sorry about the "Friggin' Carl. Won't answer his bloody phone" jibes.

FrediKanoute
17-09-2007, 11:51 PM
I suppose our crap season finish does make this interesting.

Robbo certainly isn't worth say Picks 1-12. Doubt the top 6 clubs would want him (or sacrifice their first round pick for him), so if the Tiges and Blues don't want him, then our second round pick comes in next.

We'd get him in the PSD. He's out of contract and we have pick 4. If he nominates his salary and that he wants a 3 year deal then I can't see Carlton/Tigers/Dee's giving him this. I don't think he's worth Pick 22. That potentially is a guys like Callum Ward and if we trade Pick 5 to get quality as a result of Fev I think we'd want to keep pick 22.

Bulldog Revolution
18-09-2007, 09:19 AM
We'd get him in the PSD. He's out of contract and we have pick 4. If he nominates his salary and that he wants a 3 year deal then I can't see Carlton/Tigers/Dee's giving him this. I don't think he's worth Pick 22. That potentially is a guys like Callum Ward and if we trade Pick 5 to get quality as a result of Fev I think we'd want to keep pick 22.

I'm also of the opinion that pick 22 is too high a price - we traded for Koops and Street with similar picks I've hated it ever since

How could we trade a 2nd rounder for a guy whose club thinks only has 2 years left?

Topdog
18-09-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm also of the opinion that pick 22 is too high a price - we traded for Koops and Street with similar picks I've hated it ever since

How could we trade a 2nd rounder for a guy whose club thinks only has 2 years left?

Yep those 2 trades were disasters.

And hopefully the club would have learnt its lessons from the Rawlings deal. If a club says he doesnt have long left than he bloody well obviously doesn't.

Dry Rot
16-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Seems we're still interested

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/hall-robertson-still-on-dogs-radar/2009/08/15/1249756482997.html

Dunno why.....

GVGjr
16-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Seems we're still interested

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/hall-robertson-still-on-dogs-radar/2009/08/15/1249756482997.html

Dunno why.....

I hope not. I just can't see any value in him.

AndrewP6
16-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Might've said yes a couple of years back, but not now...

comrade
16-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I hope not. I just can't see any value in him.

He'd nothing to our structure - he's just a mid sized forward who tries to sit on his opponent's head and mostly fails these days.

I'd rather Grant do that, to be honest.

Rocco Jones
16-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Johnno, Aker, Welsh, Rusty and Bazza. If only we could get the aliens from Cocoon to join our medical staff.

GVGjr
16-08-2009, 10:27 PM
He'd nothing to our structure - he's just a mid sized forward who tries to sit on his opponent's head and mostly fails these days.

I'd rather Grant do that, to be honest.

Same here. I actually keep saying that Grant is going to be like Robertson but hopefully without the injuries.

GVGjr
16-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Johnno, Aker, Welsh, Rusty and Bazza. If only we could get the aliens from Cocoon to join our medical staff.

Scary to think that we would consider it. I just hope that this is just more media speculation.

BulldogBelle
16-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Robertson

Seriously...

Imagine him, Johno, Hall, Welsh, Hahn and Minson trying to apply defence pressure in the forward 50

He wont add much to our structure, and the guys would be playing in his LAST season in '10

Grant, Cordy or Roughhead or O'Keefee would be better with the opportunuity, disregarding our existing/established players

This year is one of the last years (for another3-4) to get some higher quality youth, without having to experiement with a draft smokey/roll the dice

LostDoggy
16-08-2009, 11:21 PM
NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY.

That is all I feel on the matter.

anfo27
16-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Big mistake if we are interested which i doubt we are. His body is shot and he doesn't have any 2nd or 3rd efforts anymore.

I dont know if this was discussed in a past thread as i haven't been here long enough to know but i read in the paper a few weeks back that Drum from freo is out of contract & seeking a trade back to Melbourne, the Bulldogs & Carlton are interested. Don't know much about this kid other than he was a 1st round pick afew years ago & he is a key position player. Played at the G today and on the radio they said he was showing a bit. Anyone got anything about this?

AndrewP6
16-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Big mistake if we are interested which i doubt we are. His body is shot and he doesn't have any 2nd or 3rd efforts anymore.

I dont know if this was discussed in a past thread as i haven't been here long enough to know but i read in the paper a few weeks back that Drum from freo is out of contract & seeking a trade back to Melbourne, the Bulldogs & Carlton are interested. Don't know much about this kid other than he was a 1st round pick afew years ago & he is a key position player. Played at the G today and on the radio they said he was showing a bit. Anyone got anything about this?

Check this thread out... lots of views... not that many are keen on him.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5575&highlight=Drum&page=3

anfo27
17-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Check this thread out... lots of views... not that many are keen on him.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5575&highlight=Drum&page=3

Thanks for that buddy. I didn't read all of it but i got the general jist of what people thought and people don't know much about him other than he cant get a game for a crap team so we dont want him, which is fair enough. He showed something at the G today, not that i saw it. I figure that freo are resigned to losing him and playing him in some nothing games might give him a bit more worth. Did anyone see the Melbourne game?

KT31
17-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Very cheap.

Maybe Eagleton cheap.

He wasn't cheap !!!!!

KT31
17-08-2009, 12:32 AM

Could we work out some agreement were he paid us ?

mighty_west
17-08-2009, 12:41 PM
No, he's done, seems like a top bloke though and someone you would have liked at your club.

Mofra
17-08-2009, 12:54 PM
No, he's done, seems like a top bloke though and someone you would have liked at your club.
Agree. He's no Hansen :D

mighty_west
17-08-2009, 12:57 PM

I'm glad SOME OF US are on the same page.

chef
17-08-2009, 01:10 PM

I'm glad SOME OF US are on the same page.

Might be time to start a Operation Get Hansen! supporter group as it seems we are growing in numbers:).

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Big NAY from me. Solid.

Twodogs
17-08-2009, 02:41 PM
He wasn't cheap !!!!!

I think I meant his trade value now, or his trade valuw two years ago.

Anyway stop freaking me out with my posts from two years ago mate-you know me better than most, certainly well enough that two minutes ago is shaky territory for my brain...

Jasper
17-08-2009, 02:48 PM
I think you all need to look at Russell Robertson's profile.
His profile says he is only 187cm tall, but I would guarantee he is barely 183cm (6 Ft in the old)
We need someone 190cm minimum to take this punt on a player over 30 years of age.
Preferable not one who has spent the last two years injured

Sedat
17-08-2009, 02:51 PM
We need a mid-sized, inconsistent, cameo performer with an appalling defensive work ethic, not to mention a poor recent injury history, like a hole in the head. Nay.

LostDoggy
17-08-2009, 03:16 PM
not here doesnt chase

Dry Rot
17-08-2009, 04:27 PM
might be time to start a operation get hansen! Supporter group as it seems we are growing in numbers:).

h i p!

hujsh
17-08-2009, 06:38 PM
h i p!

And thus the 1st WOOF gang wars began.

comrade
17-08-2009, 06:43 PM

I feel a West Side Story-style dance fight about to erupt!

bulldogtragic
17-08-2009, 06:47 PM
A civil war, in fact.

Well, I'm affraid HIP are the common-sense Northern States, we are against slavery and poo list clogging tallish wannabe 'players'. While OGH are inbreading southerners, which explains their irrational thought processes in thinking Hansen isn't poo. And why they need to wear white hoods over their heads, so they cannot be identified as supporting the 'strawberry turd of the West'.

I guess that makes me Abraham Lincoln, hmmm (so i'm not going to the theatre with John Wilkes Booth anytime soon). We will see in 8 weeks time, who did win this war. And we nothern hip's are supremely confident we will not end up with poo on our faces.

Dry Rot
17-08-2009, 06:48 PM

As for the pro-Hansenites here, I'm just amazed that they've outed themselves as being into scatology.

I have a very open mind, but really they should keep that interest private IMO.

LostDoggy
18-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Nay for sure his caree is done plus he is a small forward which we dont need

bornadog
20-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Had a good sook today on SEN, rueing the fact that the dogs offered him three years but he took two to stay with the Demons.

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 05:25 PM
I understand there's a big meeting on tonight at Parkside to decide whether to offer him two years or three.

comrade
20-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Had a good sook today on SEN, rueing the fact that the dogs offered him three years but he took two to stay with the Demons.

Talk about dodging a bullet, though to be honest, I'd rather him than Hansen.

Both are poo, however.

Mofra
20-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Well, I'm affraid HIP are the common-sense Northern States, we are against slavery and poo list clogging tallish wannabe 'players'. While OGH are inbreading southerners, which explains their irrational thought processes in thinking Hansen isn't poo. And why they need to wear white hoods over their heads, so they cannot be identified as supporting the 'strawberry turd of the West'.

I guess that makes me Abraham Lincoln, hmmm (so i'm not going to the theatre with John Wilkes Booth anytime soon). We will see in 8 weeks time, who did win this war. And we nothern hip's are supremely confident we will not end up with poo on our faces.
Ah you have it backwards. As we are in the Southern hemisphere, it is proximity to the Equator that determines inbredness (ever held a conversation with a native from FNQ?)

GVGjr
20-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Talk about dodging a bullet, though to be honest, I'd rather him than Hansen.

Both are poo, however.

I wouldn't mind betting that we will be hearing about Robertson being drafted by us for the balance of the year.

comrade
20-08-2009, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't mind betting that we will be hearing about Robertson being drafted by us for the balance of the year.

Thankfully, it will be driven by the man himself (and his management) and not our footy department (fingers crossed).

GVGjr
20-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Thankfully, it will be driven by the man himself (and his management) and not our footy department (fingers crossed).

I'd like to see us get on the front foot and say we were not interested. I guess he might be the fall back option if we can't get Hall.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-08-2009, 06:38 PM

Unfortunately I agree. I don't think it would matter if we came out and flat-out ruled it out and despite the fact that he is not the type of player we need. We just don't need him especially at this stage of his career nor at our team's stage of development.

The Pie Man
20-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Was a fair sales pitch today on SEN huh? He mentioned he hadn't had any soft tissue injuries (only the achilles) and someone rang up after the interview and said 'it's a bit hard to get those injuries when you've never ventured outside the forward 50' (or words to that effect - I think it was 'hasn't been out of the 50 in his life')

Still, as a back up option should B Hall not materialise, we could do worse.

Twodogs
20-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Was a fair sales pitch today on SEN huh? He mentioned he hadn't had any soft tissue injuries (only the achilles) and someone rang up after the interview and said 'it's a bit hard to get those injuries when you've never ventured outside the forward 50' (or words to that effect - I think it was 'hasn't been out of the 50 in his life')

I'd rather we redrafted Kelvin Templeton or Simon Beasley.

LostDoggy
20-08-2009, 07:02 PM

Oh, that made me smile Twodogs! As for Robertson, nah, nah, nah, I don't think so!

anfo27
20-08-2009, 07:03 PM

Yeah Ashley Hansen

Twodogs
20-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Oh, that made me smile Twodogs! As for Robertson, nah, nah, nah, I don't think so!

Well I was thinking that Pieman, in particular, had so much more time on his hands these days!

The Pie Man
20-08-2009, 07:34 PM

Gee we were a good side in 85 - and my dad tells me all about Templeton (never saw him play)

I'll stick by my 'ok for a fall back option' position. Playing strictly out of the goal square, he probably wouldn't be bad.....hey, he got free kicks against Morris for falling over at the G earlier this year, maybe he can just do that for us :rolleyes:

Sockeye Salmon
21-08-2009, 03:50 AM
Gee we were a good side in 85 - and my dad tells me all about Templeton (never saw him play)

Your Dad lied.

KT was actually better than that.

The Pie Man
21-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Your Dad lied.

KT was actually better than that.

Clearly he was something else, the way my old man/uncles go on about him - and gents like yourself who were lucky enough to remember him running around.

bornadog
21-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Clearly he was something else, the way my old man/uncles go on about him - and gents like yourself who were lucky enough to remember him running around.

He was a super star, I will never forget the 15 goal game against the Saints as well as his brownlow year, his long long accurate kicking and his ability to take a contested mark.

Sedat
21-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Not sure if anyone saw the footage of Robbo's 'emotional' farewell speech to his teammates on TFS last night. Self-indulgent, mawkish, tedious, cliched jibberish. The fact that he is not even retiring, and has been working his arse off spruiking himself out there to all and sundry, paints the speech in it's shallow, hollow light - if only he worked that hard on the field whenever the ball hit the deck he might still have a contract for next year.

Greg Denham is still a tool but his sarcastic comments on Robbo's speech were very amusing on SEN this morning.

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Nay nay nay.

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Option 1: Barry Hall
Option 2: Throw J.Grant into Senior Footy no matter what
Option 3: Russell Robertson

Mofra
21-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Option 1: Barry Hall Yes
Option 2: Throw J.Grant into Senior Footy no matter what Oh God NO!
Option 3: Russell Robertson NO
Ash Hansen as Option 2 - or even with Option 1

mighty_west
21-08-2009, 02:50 PM

But Hansen is poo remember! ;)

Mofra
21-08-2009, 02:51 PM
But Hansen is poo remember! ;)
Ok you don't like Hansen, we get it.

LostDoggy
21-08-2009, 04:52 PM

Do we really want another KPP reject from the Eagles? I havent got over the failure of Doogs yet.....

KT31
21-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Do we really want another KPP reject from the Eagles? I havent got over the failure of Doogs yet.....

Not forgetting the Kpp reject from Melbourne in Jakovitch.

LostDoggy
22-08-2009, 03:45 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS coach Rodney Eade has ruled out recruiting soon-to-be departing Melbourne forward Russell Robertson to the Whitten Oval.

Eade was posed the question following his side's 14-point win over Geelong at Docklands on Friday night.

"I'll have a nice chat with Russell, but he won't be heading to the Bulldogs," Eade said of his fellow Tasmanian.

Music to my ears.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/83220/default.aspx

Happy Days
22-08-2009, 04:59 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS coach Rodney Eade has ruled out recruiting soon-to-be departing Melbourne forward Russell Robertson to the Whitten Oval.

Eade was posed the question following his side's 14-point win over Geelong at Docklands on Friday night.

"I'll have a nice chat with Russell, but he won't be heading to the Bulldogs," Eade said of his fellow Tasmanian.

Music to my ears.

What a great 24 hours for the footy club.
:)

bulldogtragic
22-08-2009, 07:16 PM

Music to my ears.

Common Sense and I love the absoluteness and conviction of the comment.

Just retire Robbo.

azabob
22-08-2009, 08:14 PM
I'd like to see us get on the front foot and say we were not interested. I guess he might be the fall back option if we can't get Hall.

Well GVGjr you got your wish, as you would've heard Eade said in his press conferance we are not interested.

GVGjr
22-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Well GVGjr you got your wish, as you would've heard Eade said in his press conferance we are not interested.

He's been a good footballer but he wasn't right for us in my opinion. Lets hope this doesn't resurface.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-08-2009, 08:39 PM
We had a crack at him a couple of years ago and I think that I would stick with Hall first, Welsh second and the likes of Grant/Cordy next.

No for mine.