PDA

View Full Version : New Year, New Attitude

LostDoggy
05-01-2012, 10:51 AM
I know that a lot of people (not here) are talking us down this year. But I for one am delighted with the off-season changes down the Kennel. I think the change in management will result in a grittier type of football, and that whether we win or not, the ten goal losses will be much less frequent. I can accept my side not winning the premiership, I can't accept bruise free football and can't help feeling thats what we did upon occasion under Eade. Not because we were soft but because we were so concerned with playing a certain way thats what eventuated on occasion.

I'm pumped about the new season, the new no frills, bash and crash type recruits, and the coach. And I can't wait for the new season to start. Go doggies!!!

Remi Moses
05-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Can't accept the fact we've won one flag in 85 years.
Like the positiveness, but we haven't played yet.

AndrewP6
05-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Good to see the positivity, but to be honest I'm getting set for a couple of lean years.

Dancin' Douggy
05-01-2012, 07:41 PM
I can handle a couple of lean, but exciting years.
Go hard or go home type of years.

Time to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I'm also excited about some of our rookie picks.

Redpath in particular.

Bulldog Joe
06-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Well I am feeling positive.

2011 was a disaster for several reasons and a return to the park by Lake and Cooney will make a difference.

We also have a much friendlier fixture to start the season
West Coast at home makes it winnable and also means we are not sent to Perth with a reduced turnaround in the early rounds.
Adelaide in Adelaide is relatively easy travel and definitely winnable
St Kilda at Etihad - winnable
Melbourne at the G - winnable
GWS at Manuka - basically unlosable

Get ast least 4 wins from those and the belief will be there for a finals spot.

Just need a good run injury wise.

Go_Dogs
06-01-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm relatively buoyant about us pushing for the finals this year, a lot has to go right - but we still have a solid list with some quality players at the top end. Anything is possible.

DragzLS1
06-01-2012, 10:46 AM
I think we will get off to a solid year. But if we come 8th I would be over the moon with that effort! we have some quality players but we can not forget we have alot of young players playing for us this year aswell which might catch up with us in the 2nd half of the season. still, not having a focus point like Barry Hall up front might just keep us unpredictable and could suprise a few teams.

Cant wait to see the new game style we play in 2012! BRING IT ON!

bornadog
06-01-2012, 11:39 AM
I am nervous about the upcoming season, hope the boys prove me wrong.

Greystache
06-01-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm certainly more optimistic about the upcoming season than I was about 2011. I think it'll be a tough year, but I at least feel like we might be starting an upward curve, and play a competitive brand of footy which creates some excitement. The past couple of years have felt like we've been stuck in a holding pattern waiting for the inevitable decline.

the banker
06-01-2012, 12:06 PM
With the changes to the Coaching staff and playing list there are any number of outcomes for us this year.

the banker
06-01-2012, 12:13 PM
1. If the Game Plan is thorough and the players understand it, embrace it and can execute it then we will be competitive.

2. If Brian Lake is fit and approaches his best form and we get some exciting footy from Cooney (maybe in a different up forward role?) then we can be dangerous.

3. If Will can perform and Roughead can contribute consistently
4. If Libba, Tutt, Jones, Grant, Sherman, Higgins, Wood, can step up
5. If we unearth a player who can play for us this year from the PSD or Rookie list

Then we can be in the mix for finals.

But lots of ifs...

LostDoggy
06-01-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm certainly more optimistic about the upcoming season than I was about 2011. I think it'll be a tough year, but I at least feel like we might be starting an upward curve, and play a competitive brand of footy which creates some excitement. The past couple of years have felt like we've been stuck in a holding pattern waiting for the inevitable decline.

I agree. I think we hit our peak at the end of 2009, and have been in decline since then. Sure we made the prelim in 2010, but we limped across the line and it showed in the second half of that game. So, given we've just endured 1.5-2 years arguably sliding backwards, the only expectations I have of the list is to improve. If we have to finish in the bottom four whilst the playing list adjusts and the young fellas develop, then I will accept that if it means we can be a truly legitimate contender later on.

Come the end of 2012, I'd hope to see:

Improvement
Consistency
Tough, competitive football for 4 quarters, despite the scoreline

If the majority of players can tick these boxes, I'll consider 2012 successful. Anybody that doesn't (injuries aside), needs to be moved on as quickly as we can offload them, no matter who they are.

Ladder position in 2012 is important for the membership department, but premierships take longer than a season to achieve.