PDA

View Full Version : Griff stays on the leash

AndrewP6
11-01-2012, 01:26 AM
Great news, with Ryan Griffen agreeing to extend his contract at the Dogs a further 3 years! Puts him at The Kennel until the end of 2015, and importantly, out of reach when free agency comes in.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-lock-up-ryan-griffen/story-e6frf9jf-1226241206762

The Bulldogs Bite
11-01-2012, 01:29 AM
Great news.

jeemak
11-01-2012, 02:03 AM
Great news. Now all he needs to do is step up to the elite level that he is capable of in the next four or five years.

He has the talent, and the head to do it too. Now is his time.

Remi Moses
11-01-2012, 02:58 AM
Great news . Going to leave a mark as a one club player and respected.
Going to mention someone else but I can't be arsed typing in his name.

Desipura
11-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Great news. Now all he needs to do is step up to the elite level that he is capable of in the next four or five years.

He steps a up in finals to the elite level, unlike a lot of other players, all he needs is to do it consistently in the home and away as well IMHO.

chef
11-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Thank you Ryan and thank you Jason McCartney.

the banker
11-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Macca obviously impressed with Ryan. Great news for the Club in many ways.

LostDoggy
11-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Damn good news, very happy to hear that. Good to know some players still have loyalty to a club knowing a free agency is around the corner. Great start to my day!

Mantis
11-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Great news.

craigsahibee
11-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Great news. Thanks Ryan.

Go_Dogs
11-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Very happy to hear this.

Redemption97
11-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Very happy with this. Looking forward to seeing Ryan deliver some consistent footy and the role/s he'll play in our new game plan over the next three years.

strebla
11-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Now that's what I like to see first thing in the morning puts a smile on my dial on an otherwise dreary day.

LostDoggy
11-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Yay!! :)

bulldogsthru&thru
11-01-2012, 11:24 AM
hooray for loyalty :)

angelopetraglia
11-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Sensational news.

DragzLS1
11-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Best news I have heard all year! Good on ya griff

Desipura
11-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Best news I have heard all year! Good on ya griff Its not like it has been a long year, or has it been for you?;)

Daughter of the West
11-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Excellent stuff Griff!

dadsgirl16
11-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Fantastic news!!!! Luv ya Griff

LostDoggy
11-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Fantastic new, very happy to see Griff remain a dog. Hopefully 2012 is a big year for him.

KT31
11-01-2012, 12:48 PM
My oldest Pup is delighted, as Griff is his favourite.
Great news, and it say's a lot about his character and loyalty.

LostDoggy
11-01-2012, 01:07 PM

He's been 'elite' (without being flashy) across all indicators for a few years now, other than his kicking for goal, which has deteriorated significantly in recent years, probably 'cause he's buggered every time he has a shot. On sheer impact, workload and influence on team performance though he's consistently as important as anyone else is for any other team, and without Coons playing regularly, he shoulders a vast amount of opposition attention week-in, week-out. If he played in the Geelong midfield which shares the load more consistently he would be unstoppable. Boydy would have his stats halved immediately if Griff wasn't around.

EasternWest
11-01-2012, 01:46 PM
"I always wanted to stay at the Bulldogs and for them to re-sign me it was fantastic. I love the guys here and the club, so I jumped at the opportunity."

Thanks Griff.

Topdog
11-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LostDoggy
11-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Awesome news! My favourite player too. Made the mistake of reading the comments on the Herald Sun, why do they persist with giving total wankers the opportunity to write absolute crap in a public forum??

LostDoggy
11-01-2012, 04:11 PM
He steps a up in finals to the elite level, unlike a lot of other players, all he needs is to do it consistently in the home and away as well IMHO.

He's been 'elite' (without being flashy) across all indicators for a few years now, other than his kicking for goal, which has deteriorated significantly in recent years, probably 'cause he's buggered every time he has a shot. On sheer impact, workload and influence on team performance though he's consistently as important as anyone else is for any other team, and without Coons playing regularly, he shoulders a vast amount of opposition attention week-in, week-out. If he played in the Geelong midfield which shares the load more consistently he would be unstoppable. Boydy would have his stats halved immediately if Griff wasn't around.

Both spot on.

My oldest Pup is delighted, as Griff is his favourite.
Great news, and it say's a lot about his character and loyalty.

It does, as he could have easily ridden out the year “hiding” from the press whilst his manager extracts more blood from the stone. I don't draw this conclusion from this one example alone, but Griff strikes me as a very down-to-earth, decent bloke. Good guy to have around the place.

Bulldog4life
11-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Fantastic news. Ryan displays the loyalty, character and love for the Club that we would like to see in all our players.

jazzadogs
11-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Great news that Ryan has re-signed, and also very promising news that Jason McCartney is being proactive in his role as List Manager and signing people BEFORE free agency comes in. Hope to see more announcements like this!

Go_Dogs
11-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Great news that Ryan has re-signed, and also very promising news that Jason McCartney is being proactive in his role as List Manager and signing people BEFORE free agency comes in. Hope to see more announcements like this!

The work Fantasia (I assume) did to re-sign Griff in late 2009/10 (?) shouldn't be underestimated either.

LostDoggy
11-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Yayayayayayayay! So exciting!

jazzadogs
11-01-2012, 08:58 PM
The work Fantasia (I assume) did to re-sign Griff in late 2009/10 (?) shouldn't be underestimated either.
And the ease with which Griff seems to sign should also not be underestimated. Seems to be like Kreuzer at Carlton - if offered a reasonable contract, he will accept.

I'm not a Fantasia hater, but I'm very happy with the appointment of a list manager and this is a good sign that it is having the desired impact. Identifying players at risk of free agency and targeting them for contract extensions.

Go_Dogs
11-01-2012, 09:26 PM
And the ease with which Griff seems to sign should also not be underestimated. Seems to be like Kreuzer at Carlton - if offered a reasonable contract, he will accept.

I'm not a Fantasia hater, but I'm very happy with the appointment of a list manager and this is a good sign that it is having the desired impact. Identifying players at risk of free agency and targeting them for contract extensions.

Don't disagree with any of that, and hopefully we can really improve our list management now we're better resourced.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
11-01-2012, 09:38 PM
I've backed Griff for the Brownlow the last two years - get on for 2012!

Greystache
12-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Brilliant news. Griff and the Bulldogs seem to be such an easy fit.

That and the fact I won't own a Bulldog named Griff while Ryan is running around in a Collingwood jumper, like my Melbourne supporting friend who has two dogs named Cam and Bruce!!

LostDoggy
13-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Brilliant news. Griff and the Bulldogs seem to be such an easy fit.

That and the fact I won't own a Bulldog named Griff while Ryan is running around in a Collingwood jumper, like my Melbourne supporting friend who has two dogs named Cam and Bruce!!

Buy him another and name him Jack Watts. It'd be funny as hell…

LostDoggy
13-01-2012, 10:14 AM
So happy to hear that Ryan Griffin (he he ;)) is staying a Bulldog. :)

LostDoggy
13-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Whoo Hoo! Do the happy dance!:o

Dancin' Douggy
13-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Ryan Griffen deserves our love.
After the Callan Ward bull#@%$.
Here's a man who deserves respect.

Quietly gets it done with no fanfare, and let's face it, Cement head isn't even fit to tie his shoelaces if your talking about football ability

KT31
13-01-2012, 01:34 PM

Quietly gets it done with no fanfare, and let's face it, Cement head isn't even fit to tie his shoelaces if your talking about football ability

Who ????;)

DOG GOD
13-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Great news....awesome stuff and great for the club.

jeemak
13-01-2012, 11:24 PM

Yes, he has been a victim of Cooney's absence. And I agree that on impact for us he's almost as solid as anyone in the league however, I'm not willing to put him in the elite bracket yet. Two outstanding seasons don't get him there for mine.

You also make an excellent point about the attention he receives from the opposition, and it's something a lot of pundits don't acknowledge when they're commenting on his performance. He's also been able to change his game towards an almost perfect example of inside and outside midfield play over the last three years. He could have been played on a wing or a back flank during that time, and if he did, he'd probably have at least one AA jumper.

Like Desipura said, if he could play the home and away games like he does finals then he'd be in the top bracket of mids in the league convincingly.

LostDoggy
16-01-2012, 12:16 PM

"Like" :D

LostDoggy
16-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Got my new jumper today with the number 16 on the back!