PDA

View Full Version : Backline 2012

Go_Dogs
24-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Ok, the final installment.

So who will play back this year? What is our contingency if the likes of Lake, Morris, Hargrave and Gilbee aren't able to have a significant impact? Which of our young talls and smalls may get an opportunity to cement their places in 2012?

Cyberdoggie
24-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Tricky one to answer at this point.

Macca may opt to change things around a little, or he could start with the same old.

There are a few new faces to look at and no doubt Talia seems to be big enough to play already if there is an opportunity.

I would lock in the obvious ones, Murphy, Williams, Morris, Lake if they are available and fit.

DragzLS1
24-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Murphy, wood and markovic are pretty certain I would say.

Would like to see Talia get a run and not counting on Morris being ready for round 1 and having a decent year (although if anybody can do it, he definately can)

Williams showed some good signs last year and hope he can have a good consitant year.

stefoid
24-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Hargrave, Murph, Gilbee, Wood, Lake and Williams, injuries permitting.

Marcovic as backup for the bigger guys.

Howard or maybe Tutt or Higgins as backup for the smaller guys.

LostDoggy
24-01-2012, 08:22 PM

Marcovic as backup for the bigger guys.

Howard or maybe Tutt or Higgins as backup for the smaller guys.

I reckon this is Williams year to shine. I hark back to the game against Carlton last year (17?ish). Tommy was an absolute rock playing a Lake role at CHB. Took heaps of contesters in pressure situations and spoiled what he didn't grab. If he can keep that level of confidence and lake actually gets back to 80 0/0 of his best then out back 6 will be very solid.

I don't see any concerns at the rear.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
24-01-2012, 08:37 PM
I reckon this is Williams year to shine. I hark back to the game against Carlton last year (17?ish). Tommy was an absolute rock playing a Lake role at CHB. Took heaps of contesters in pressure situations and spoiled what he didn't grab. If he can keep that level of confidence and lake actually gets back to 80 0/0 of his best then out back 6 will be very solid.

Williams looked Lake like at times in that match. Hope he can keep it going this year.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-01-2012, 08:57 PM

This was one of his better games, but in saying that, Waite was injured and I believe that may have been the last game he played all season.

Against quality opposition (usually leading forwards), Williams still tends to struggle a little.

Mantis
24-01-2012, 09:08 PM

Gilbs has been ineffective in defence for the past 2 seasons, what's going to change this year?

Maddog37
24-01-2012, 10:24 PM
He looks very fit and would know this is his last hurrah.

the banker
24-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Too many question marks about fitness in the back half to make definite comments about the line up.
Lake, Morris, Hargrave are lynch pins if they are available. Gilbee probably not but he may prove us wrong and do a Ponting. Markovic needs to develop on a good year to get regular games if everyone is fit. Williams still seems a bit fragile to me. It would be great if he takes the next step and becomes a genuine AFL player , somehow still a project IMO. Murphy to play back.

stefoid
25-01-2012, 12:45 AM
Gilbs has been ineffective in defence for the past 2 seasons, what's going to change this year?

His ineffectiveness :)

jeemak
25-01-2012, 02:35 AM
The loss of Schoefield is a big disappointment when going through a thread like this. He was a good prospect on the basis of his performances last year.

For mine we keep Higgins up forward and swapping through the middle where required, so that rules him out of performing back half duties for the most part. Even if he's not playing at full potential, he's a better chance of kicking a couple of goals a game than many others we have on the list.

Although I think we need Murphy up forward just as much as we need him back, I'm going to concede it's likely he'll play back for the majority of games. He and Wood could provide an exceptional running combination out of defense, and I'm hoping Wood's decision making and disposal can take another step up.

We're reasonably well covered for talls at this stage, with Lake fit that is. Beyond Lake there are question marks on Gilbee and Hargrave for fitness and or form. I think we really missed Hargrave's cool head (even though he has been prone to the odd ill-disciplined free kick against in years gone by).

I would start with:

Hargrave, Lake, Wood
Murphy, Williams, Gilbee

Keep this defense fit and in form and we'll be in good shape to move the ball decisively and quickly forward. Lose any one of them and we look significantly weaker.

Tall cover will be provided by Markovic, and maybe Cordy although I expect him to play a role up forward when he comes in to the side.

I've left Morris out for now, I just don't know whether he'll come up for the first four to six rounds. As soon as he does, Gilbee will miss out on a permanent spot down back, but if form persists he'll have his chances up forward as well.

I'd really like to see Howard and Tutt place pressure on Wood, Gilbee and Hargrave to get a spot for the first few rounds. These guys are going to have their ups and downs, but each of them have been recruited on their potential to use the ball well with penetration, and with added game time and confidence these qualities are more likely to shine through.

stefoid
25-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Yeah, ha ha, all backman scrag when they know they are beaten -- better to take the chance of a free kick vs. the certainty of loosing the contest -- but Hargrave sometimes seems to almost highlight when he is doing it, rather than trying to disguise it.

Desipura
28-01-2012, 10:14 AM

I totally agree with the above. Playing devils advocate, I wonder if BMacs plan is to better protect the ball carrier by way of shepherding , if so this may buy him a little extra time to effectively dispose of the ball which has been down in recent seasons.

always right
28-01-2012, 07:36 PM
I totally agree with the above. Playing devils advocate, I wonder if BMacs plan is to better protect the ball carrier by way of shepherding , if so this may buy him a little extra time to effectively dispose of the ball which has been down in recent seasons.

Any evidence of this at training or just pure speculation?

always right
28-01-2012, 07:38 PM
I would start with:

Hargrave, Lake, Wood
Murphy, Williams, Gilbee

This looks a bit safe for me. Can't believe that a brand new coach looking to mix things up a bit, won't be playing one or two newer blokes back in defence.

Desipura
28-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Any evidence of this at training or just pure speculation?

It was a question, not a statement.

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-01-2012, 03:23 PM

I wouldn't write off Gilbee completely for next season. We lost so much last year without Gilbee's ability to set up play from the kick outs which is a great skill that he has similar to Josh Hunt at Geelong and Brent Guerra. This is such an important feature of the modern. We may well see a rejuvenated Gilbee under new coach BMcC.

Before I Die
29-01-2012, 04:22 PM

In relation to last year at least, possibly a fit Lake and hopefully a much more accountable midfield. Plus a new coach and training regimen may help rejuvenate him for one more year.

The Underdog
29-01-2012, 04:54 PM
In relation to last year at least, possibly a fit Lake and hopefully a much more accountable midfield. Plus a new coach and training regimen may help rejuvenate him for one more year.

It may but the number of guys whose skills continue to decline on the wrong side of 30 is vastly higher than the number of guys who have an Indian summer as it were. I hope he does but the numbers aren't weighed in his favour. I think it's more likely that a guy like Tutt comes through than Gilbs gets back to where he was.

Before I Die
29-01-2012, 05:53 PM
It may but the number of guys whose skills continue to decline on the wrong side of 30 is vastly higher than the number of guys who have an Indian summer as it were. I hope he does but the numbers aren't weighed in his favour. I think it's more likely that a guy like Tutt comes through than Gilbs gets back to where he was.

I think you are most likely right, though I suspect that Gilbee's opportunities will depend more heavily on the fitness and form of Morris and Hargrave rather than Tutt.

soupman
30-01-2012, 12:54 AM
I would start with:

Hargrave, Lake, Wood
Murphy, Williams, Gilbee

This looks a bit safe for me. Can't believe that a brand new coach looking to mix things up a bit, won't be playing one or two newer blokes back in defence.

I'm not so sure. I think we will probably see a fairly typical backline because when you look at a lot of our "best 22" players:
-Williams, Markovic and Morris are all pure defenders.
-Lake is a proven AA full back and a mediocre pinch hitting full forward
-Hargrave could theoretically play elsewhere but he would suit the lead up role that I'd prefer a Grant, Panos or any of our mid sized forwards play.
-Gilbee could play elsewhere but he's looked average everywhere this last year and in defence he is probably most effective.
-Murphy's body is better suited to defence than half forward.

I'm just not sure where the room comes from to put more than one of Howard, Addison, Wood, Talia, Wallis etc. down back for.

Mantis
30-01-2012, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't write off Gilbee completely for next season. We lost so much last year without Gilbee's ability to set up play from the kick outs which is a great skill that he has similar to Josh Hunt at Geelong and Brent Guerra. This is such an important feature of the modern. We may well see a rejuvenated Gilbee under new coach BMcC.

But wasn't Gilbee's spot taken by Murf who was extremely effective?