PDA

View Full Version : Big Improvers 2012

Greystache
02-02-2012, 11:23 PM
With the team in a transition period and lots of young players getting opportunities, who does everyone think will be the big improvers in 2012? List 2-3 players (including first year players) and why.

For me;

Libba- Probably not ground breaking, but with an extra preseason into him, and some obvious muscle gain, he is set to become one of the elite clearance players in the AFL in 2012. He was unstoppable in the stoppages in the scratch match yesterday, even with a tag he won clearances at will. His ball use continues to improve as well.

Tutt- He again has bulked up somewhat and his form in the practice matches seems to indicate he gained a lot of confidence out of his AFL games last year. His pace and kicking skills are a standout, and he has even spent some time behind the ball perhaps hinting B Mac will look to utilise his strengths.

My smokie is Smith- He has an AFL body already, his endurance is incredible, and attacks the contest fiercely. I think he'll play 18-22 games this year.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Libba by default.

To throw a few other names out there:

- Dickson: Mature age player who moves well. Not quick, but is very smart and knows when to lead, when to evade and when to dispose of the ball. Nice size, skills and knows where the goals are. In a young side looking to establish a forward line, he has an opportunity to feature quite a bit. 15+ games.

- Veszpremi: It's pretty well known that I am a fan of this guy. He's got some fine attributes; the only thing I question is his mental strength and his 'smarts'. The latter can be fixed (or improved) through exposed game time and perhaps a defined role (running HBFer) but the first part, is of course, up to him. Strikes me as a nice kid who needs to be given confidence by the coaching staff. All going well -- I can see him becoming a good player. 15+ games.

BulldogBelle
03-02-2012, 05:15 AM
1. Howard
I was very impressed with some of his Williamstown games last year where he absolutely controlled the game for several quarters. He was outstanding with his long left-foot kicks to position on the forward line. It was like get it to Howard and he'll pick some-one out and put it down their throat. I hope that he can transfer his talent into 4 quarters and senior football.

2. Libba
No surprises here, a lot of people have seen what he can do and think that he'll do better.

3. Jones
He tries to do his best and the right thing every week and he will gradually improve. Reminds me of Peter Foster, just got better and better every year.

I think that Roughead, Grant and Cordy should show some improvement, but I'm not predicting it.

LostDoggy
03-02-2012, 07:36 AM
Williams - been in the system awhile I know but barring injury I think we may see why he was rated so highly this year. Liked alot of his development and growing confidence in '11 and he may just be a typical late blooming tall.

Jones - we know he can mark. I think we'll see increased presence this year but won't see his best until '13 and '14. Has the potential to flourish.

Wood - from good to great? Not sure whether he can take another step but this is the year he'll likely do it if he has more in him.

Roughead - liking what I've seen preseason.

stefoid
03-02-2012, 10:58 AM
I would love Grant to explode, that would be nice.

Dogmatic
03-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Will Minson - I reckon he will relish the number 1 ruck role. He is at about the right age for a ruck man to take that next step.

SlimPickens
03-02-2012, 01:22 PM
1.Like what i'm seeing with Tutt. Love his willingness to kick the ball and hope he can take a big step up this year.

2. Markovic- From what i see at training and my fairly low expectations of him last year, I think there is still alot of improvement and he can become a very solid defender for us. He is a very smart defender.

3.Vespa- Excited to see if he gets a chance behind the ball and through the middle. Think he can be a very good player and hopefully a big win for us out of the Everitt trade.

the banker
03-02-2012, 02:03 PM
With the team in a transition period and lots of young players getting opportunities, who does everyone think will be the big improvers in 2012? List 2-3 players (including first year players) and why.

For me;

Libba- Probably not ground breaking, but with an extra preseason into him, and some obvious muscle gain, he is set to become one of the elite clearance players in the AFL in 2012. He was unstoppable in the stoppages in the scratch match yesterday, even with a tag he won clearances at will. His ball use continues to improve as well.

Tutt- He again has bulked up somewhat and his form in the practice matches seems to indicate he gained a lot of confidence out of his AFL games last year. His pace and kicking skills are a standout, and he has even spent some time behind the ball perhaps hinting B Mac will look to utilise his strengths.

My smokie is Smith- He has an AFL body already, his endurance is incredible, and attacks the contest fiercely. I think he'll play 18-22 games this year.

I'm with these three as well. The same sentiments. Confident with the ball in Libba and Tutt's hands. Think they can be play makers. Haven't seen Smith at all, except for youtube footage, but have liked the attitude in all the interviews and profiles, so that one is on hope and intuition.

neddie
03-02-2012, 03:00 PM
I agree with your suggestions but would add Panos who showed some form at Williamstown in latter stages of last season.

Pembleton
03-02-2012, 04:12 PM
I would love Grant to explode, that would be nice.

I know he's been inconsistent, but that is a bit harsh! *boomtish* :)

Pembleton
03-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Minson - He's been working away for a decade now, and a lot of rucks have hit their peak at around this stage of their career.

Wallis - I want to mention him because he seems somewhat forgotten and i'm not sure why.

Grant - Has some nice attributes to work with, and i suspect the new coach will be able to draw good consistent performances out of him.

Maddog37
03-02-2012, 04:19 PM
A bit left field but I think Gilbee will improve and Markovic will benefit from added confidence which will assist him in playing a more attacking game style.

Hotdog60
03-02-2012, 04:33 PM
I would like to think Griffen will click up a notch and be a more complete and consistent performer.

Libba for much as the same as everyone else.

Tom Hill to find a injury free 2012 and become a bright spark for the future and maybe get a game later in the season, at nearly 200cm could be a key forward.
I believed he got double figures for Willy 2nds last year so he know were the goals are.

Dazza
03-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Lake and cooney. Here's hoping to a injury free season.

Few out of left field... Djekuerra, Veszpremi and Moles. Would be nice if they could all be entrenched in the 22 by the end of the year.

They each bring something to the table that we need. Speed in Djekuerra and Moles cases and good skills in Veszpremi's. Hope they do well this year.

Other than that. The kids should naturally improve.

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Lake and cooney. Here's hoping to a injury free season.

Few out of left field... Djekuerra, Veszpremi and Moles. Would be nice if they could all be entrenched in the 22 by the end of the year.

They each bring something to the table that we need. Speed in Djekuerra and Moles cases and good skills in Veszpremi's. Hope they do well this year.

Other than that. The kids should naturally improve.

I agree that Cooney and Lake are the keys to our improvement in 2012.
I am looking forward to seeing Panos, Smith and Dickson in action as the team really needs an injection of talented newcomers. Talia likewise will added badly needed height and determination to a defence that is facing an aging Gilbee and Hargrave with the prospect of an underdone Morris recovering from a serious leg injury.

Greystache
04-02-2012, 12:30 AM
I agree that Cooney and Lake are the keys to our improvement in 2012.
I am looking forward to seeing Panos, Smith and Dickson in action as the team really needs an injection of talented newcomers. Talia likewise will added badly needed height and determination to a defence that is facing an aging Gilbee and Hargrave with the prospect of an underdone Morris recovering from a serious leg injury.

I'm not sure we'll see much of Talia this year, watching him in the scratch match this week he looks a long way off just yet. He has the build, but even playing against Redpath he looked like a kid with a steep learning curve ahead. Had he been matched up against someone like Jones it would have been a very one sided contest.

Dry Rot
04-02-2012, 12:33 AM
After he is promoted after Round 11, Jack Redpath.

I'm also very interested to see what Macca can do with Skinner.

mjp
04-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Minson - He's been working away for a decade now, and a lot of rucks have hit their peak at around this stage of their career.

Do you think he has it in him?

GVGjr
04-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Howard is the one of the players I'm hoping takes a big step forward this year. With Gilbee and Hargrave most likely in the last year of their careers a position in the back line is up for grabs.
Howard playing 15 plus games this year will be a huge boost for him.

A big season by Roughead would also be a boost for the club. If he can successfully move between ruck and forward duties he could be a invaluable player for us.

A smokey for a big improver might be Tom Hill and that doesn't mean he might even get a game for the Dogs. Getting players that can alternate between the ruck and a key forward roles is vital for us and while Hill hasn't even played for the Williamstown seniors, I think he can remedy that this season. The biggest challenge he faces is trying to hold a key forward spot at Williamstown when we are really loaded with key forwards.

Veszpremi showed some positives signs in 2011 and hopefully he can stay fit and build on that this year.

Pembleton
04-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Do you think he has it in him?

I'm hopeful he can be solid. If the base is his on-the-ground contribution over the last couple of years, he won't have to do much to have made a big improvement.

mjp
04-02-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm hopeful he can be solid. If the base is his on-the-ground contribution over the last couple of years, he won't have to do much to have made a big improvement.

Yeah - that is what worries me though...I haven't seen much (if any) improvement in him for 5 years. So why now?

I just think Roughead is better and Minson wont get the opportunities to display a real improvement.

Pembleton
04-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Yeah - that is what worries me though...I haven't seen much (if any) improvement in him for 5 years. So why now?

I just think Roughead is better and Minson wont get the opportunities to display a real improvement.

I think that is a view of him. My hope is somewhat underpinned by a vague idea i have that a lot of guys improve gradually for years without it making much difference to their performance, and then some factors come together, like opportunity and confidence, and they hit a tipping point where that gradual improvement turns into drastically improved performance.

Someone like Dean Wallis, whose best footy came at around the age of 30, might be an example.

Like i said, hopeful. haha

F'scary
04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm tipping Gillard to be a big improver in 2012. Due to work commitments, hasn't had a chance to show wares at full forward, but should soon get an opportunity.