PDA

View Full Version : Who does your family support and how did you come to support the Bulldogs

Eastdog
04-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Me: Western Bulldogs
Mum: Melbourne
Dad: Not interested in footy
Brother: Collingwood

I started supporting the Bulldogs in 2001. The story goes like this: I went to (I was 12 at the time) a match with my Uncle and Mum from memory who are both Melbourne supporters between Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs at the MCG on a Friday Night. The Bulldogs won that match by 30 points and I remember clapping and cheering when the Dogs were going to win. 11 years on and I'm a very proud supporter of the Western Bulldogs and hopefully in the not to distant future we can win our 2nd premiership.
Be great to here your stories and who all your family support.

LostDoggy
04-02-2012, 11:27 PM
I didn't have a choice in the matter. My mum's been taking me to the footy every week since I was born. Both of my sisters as well. Dad supports North Melbourne. So Mum and Dad had a deal, the daughters would support the Dogs and the sons North - mum did a great job of having only daughters! It also helped that Dad worked Saturday's when we were kids so it was always Mum that took as to the footy.

My Mum supports the Dogs because one of her older brothers would beat up his younger siblings if they didn't support them (he had 5 younger ones, pity he didn't convert the 5 older ones!). My Uncle only supported the Dogs because a friend of his at school did. So from one school yard friendship the Dogs got about 25 members! (yup, big extended family...)

Bulldog4life
05-02-2012, 11:38 PM
My wife is a Doggie supporter as is both my parents, likewise my grandparents and also my great grandparents who all lived in Yarraville. Only one of my three daughters follows the dogs.:mad:

AndrewP6
05-02-2012, 11:54 PM
My Dad provided the Bulldog influence on the family, moving from the country to St Albans and then living in various areas around Footscray. My mum follows the Dogs. Brothers only really followed footy when we were kids, but don't really now. Grandma on Mum's side followed Fitzroy :eek: and my late uncle played for South Melbourne (Swans) for 4 years.

Remi Moses
06-02-2012, 12:21 AM
The Old Man's typical Irish Catholic follows Collingwood:(
Mum follows the Dogs as all of her side does.
Dad's family are a mixture of old Fitzroy and The Pies.

LostDoggy
06-02-2012, 02:17 AM
Bulldogs all the way. Whole family.

Grandparents moved into the WEstern Suburbs when they came from Croatia. One lives around corner from Western Oval.

(May also have something to do with the dogs colors being the same as the Croatian flag colors)

Desipura
06-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Bulldogs all the way. Whole family.

Grandparents moved into the WEstern Suburbs when they came from Croatia. One lives around corner from Western Oval.

(May also have something to do with the dogs colors being the same as the Croatian flag colors)

Heard a funny story many years ago when a Croatian family first arrived in Australia , they loved their soccer and would see all these supporters dressed in red white and blue head to the Western Oval as it was then called.

These immigrants thought it surely must be a Croatian soccer team playing so they excitedly went to the game.
They arrived watching this foreign game called VFL football that they had no idea what it was about, but fell in love with the game instantly.
Some 40 years on, they apparently still go to the games!

Hotdog60
06-02-2012, 07:58 AM
My family moved here from the UK around 67, I was 7 at the time. We were in the old Altona migrant hostel waiting for other accommodation when we took an interest in AFL, the decision came down to Geelong or Footscray.

I think it was because of the British Bulldog and the flag colours that we chose the Bulldogs and only my sister who was too young at the time went for Collingwood and that was more because she knew I despised them as a team.

LostDoggy
06-02-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm fifth-gen Bulldog (my kids round out six generations of red white and blue!) and the only real options I had were Footscray, Essendon or Collingwood. My mum comes from a long line of Footscray, was born in Braybrook, and took me to games from birth and in my early years, despite numerous attempts by my Essendon-fanatic grandmother to convert me, I stuck by the Dogs. My uncle is a Magpie and had a similar crack in 1990 when I was 8, but I was far too gone by then and have never regretted staying with the Dogs.

Welcoming my children into the world, each wrapped in a Bulldogs scarf at birth, is of course the highlight of my life.

UPDATE: Sorry, just HAD to include this one:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/207742_10150254022034112_576069111_9338417_498679_n.jpg

My little girl. 10 weeks early. 3 minutes old.

bornadog
06-02-2012, 10:24 AM
My father came to Australia in 1950 and eventually moved to West Footscray, just off Geelong rd and went to games with his mates, even though they could barely speak english, they loved the game.

When I was born and old enough I went along as well, I would have been around 3/4 years old.

always right
06-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Father grew up in Yarraville. Got married and moved to Glen Waverley. Mother supported Carlton but dad won battle and my two siblings and I were appointed as Bulldogs supporters.

Mum eventually changed to the Bulldogs during the "Save Footscray" campaign and helped rattle tins. She's now as passionate as anyone in her support of the dogs.

My brother's children are all bulldogs as are mine....and even recruited my wife to the cause. Now one big extended happy family attend bulldogs games each week.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
06-02-2012, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE=Danstar;255717]Bulldogs all the way. Whole family.

Same here - lived in Barkly St. Dad v. upset if potential in-laws barracked for other teams. Took it personally when my brother married a Collingwood supporter.

Sedat
06-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Mum: Carlton
Reason: Everyone who grew up in Brunswick in the 50's and 60's had to barrack for Carlton

Dad: North
Reason: Uncle best mates with Schimma, so Dad supported them

Older Brother: Carlton
Reason: Went along for the ride

Younger Sister: Geelong
Reason: Gary Ablett Senior

Me: Dogs
Reason: Kelvin Templeton kicking 15 goals against the Saints in 1978. Not even the dim dark Royce Hart years could sway me to another club.

Maddog37
06-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Barracked for Cats til age 12(1983) and got sick of them being handbag carrying pretty boys. Decided I would choose a team no one else supported so I wouldn't be accused of jumping on a bandwagon.

Grandpa was a pom and always wore a British bulldog tshirt. End result is I am a mad dogs fan and have converted wife, two kids and a neighbors child alongthe way.

KT31
07-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Have always barracked for the Dogs.
Both Grandfathers were mad Doggies supporters and members.
One of my Aunties has made Plays of the Week a couple of times and would be known to many of you.
Dad was a Dogs follower, but mainly loved Yarraville.
Mum Doggies but only takes a quick glance at the telly now and then.
Older brother mentions our Dogs when we are winning and your team when we aren't.
One sister (Dec) was a Saint, another sister and brother don't care for footy and youngest sister is a bulldogs supporter.
To many nieces and nephews to mention but I will say I have influenced as many as I could to support the Doggies.
I should also mention one of my cousins is a mad Doggie supporter and suffers from two brothers who are Pies.

Eastdog
16-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Some great stories of how we came to support the Bulldogs.

BulldogBelle
16-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Heard a funny story many years ago when a Croatian family first arrived in Australia , they loved their soccer and would see all these supporters dressed in red white and blue head to the Western Oval as it was then called.

These immigrants thought it surely must be a Croatian soccer team playing so they excitedly went to the game.
They arrived watching this foreign game called VFL football that they had no idea what it was about, but fell in love with the game instantly.
Some 40 years on, they apparently still go to the games!

Ha ha ha

When my grandfather came to Australia from Croatia in '61 he started following the Bulldogs because of their colours being the same as the Croatian flag, and he lived locally - and now all of his descendants follow the club (bar 3 - grr) with passion

LostDoggy
17-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Lived in Sunshine growing up in the 80's. No one in my family really cared for football. My grandfather had an interest in the Bulldogs living in Braybrook. I had free choice and liked the colours of Fitzroy and Footscray. I was young when I chose but i think it went like this
- Mack trucks are represented by the Bulldog(I loved trucks as a kid, western suburbs upbringing I guess you can't miss them)
- The Western Oval was 10 minutes by car so I thought at least I'll get to go because it was close.
-My grandparents were my carers while mum and dad worked before I was old enough to goto school and then during school holidays, so therefore I spent a large percentage of my youth shopping in Footscray. Remember when Coles had a foodcourt upsatirs accessed by escalator (I think). The plaza was a carpark and I sat with my Grandfather in His EK Holden at Sims on Barkly Street while grandma shopped and we listened to horseracing.
- I was a confirmed Bulldogs supporter before this, but I played for Footscray Hockey Club when i was young with the mascot and colours being the same. Close as I came to playing in the Red, white and blue.

I've got a couple of cousins to follow because I'm a supporter and definately influenced my niece. Her dad doesn't care for footy, so I got to pick for her.

F'scary
20-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Took me a while to get the nerve to do this but what the heck: I moved to Footscray in 2000 after getting divorced (no kids so no big deal in the end, I suppose). I moved to Footscray because I wanted to find a place in Melbourne where I wouldn't run into my ex, her friends and her family. Didn't know much about the western suburbs, except I went to the Whitten Oval for the away matches. I came from the SE suburbs and barracked for St K - all my family are St K. I moved in a stones throw from the Whitten Oval. I thought "this is crazy, living so close to one of the other AFL clubs bases and not following them." I also had some other reasons to ditch St K including friends who let me down badly. So I thought stuff this I'm going to follow WB from now on. And that's that. I still live in Footscray, got another wife and we are happy and have 3 young children. They are WB supporters, naturally.

azabob
20-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Took me a while to get the nerve to do this but what the heck: I moved to Footscray in 2000 after getting divorced (no kids so no big deal in the end, I suppose). I moved to Footscray because I wanted to find a place in Melbourne where I wouldn't run into my ex, her friends and her family. Didn't know much about the western suburbs, except I went to the Whitten Oval for the away matches. I came from the SE suburbs and barracked for St K - all my family are St K. I moved in a stones throw from the Whitten Oval. I thought "this is crazy, living so close to one of the other AFL clubs bases and not following them." I also had some other reasons to ditch St K including friends who let me down badly. So I thought stuff this I'm going to follow WB from now on. And that's that. I still live in Footscray, got another wife and we are happy and have 3 young children. They are WB supporters, naturally.

Cool story! Glad you shared.

G-Mo77
21-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Dad went for Fitzroy
Mother went for Geelong
My older brother went for St. Kilda

I chose The Bulldogs quite simply because I loved Bulldogs. :D

Murphy'sLore
21-02-2012, 11:09 AM
My younger daughter thinks she is a puppy, so it was a natural choice :)

F'scary
27-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Cool story! Glad you shared.

thanks mate, I'm just another refugee I suppose. Anyway, I'm really getting keyed up about the season. It's going to be an interesting year, sort of like Eade's first year a bit, perhaps, although we are nowhere near the depths of the end of the Rohde era (and not meaning to criticise him by saying that, it was a tough gig for whoever was WB coach at that time). But there's another thread for that conversation...I'm heading there for a read now.

cheers

Eastdog
09-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Dad went for Fitzroy
Mother went for Geelong
My older brother went for St. Kilda

I chose The Bulldogs quite simply because I loved Bulldogs. :D

Similar to me G-Mo77 and Sedat except that my Mum went for Melbourne, Dad no one and younger brother goes for Collingwood.

WBFC4FFC
10-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Grew-up in Footscray and just did what everyone else should do in the western suburbs and follow the local team.

ReLoad
10-08-2012, 10:07 PM
My Dad is a Carlton supporter, even drove the supporters bus around picking up all the Carlton granies to take them to each game.
My Mum and all her side of the family is bulldogs they grew up in Tottenham and mum was a good Sunshine Tech girl. (oxymoron?)

Anyway up until I was 12 I went for the blues, I idolised Mike Fitzpatrick.

in 1985 My mum and I made a bet, that if the dogs beat carlton twice that year i would barrack for the dogs. As this was incredibly unlikely given the dogs of '84 (although the dogs did beat the blues at PP in 1984) i made the bet so i would have settled it once and for all.

Needless to say, Round 1 at Princess Park, sitting in the Heatley stand with my old man, the bulldogs won 22.10 to 17.10 with none other than Simon Beasley kicking 9 goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paJyB7GWA5o&feature=player_embedded

(It was also the debut game for David Rhys-Jones)

Mum as soon as we got home had bought me a new duffelcoat in preparation for the win again later in the year. she asked me if I wanted number 18 on it. I was not impressed but was confident gven it was only footscray we were talking about.

Round 12 At the western oval, went with my mum and 2 uncles this time, standing on a milk crate at the scoreboard end , the bulldogs were yet again triumphant, 13.8 to 5.9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WguSBmHHMrk&feature=player_embedded#t=6s

So true to my word i have been both a member and lover of all things Footscray/Western bulldogs since.

For those that wanted to know, I did end up wearing that duffle coat and had 18 on the back.

My Wife and twin boys on the other hand, are all Hawthorn, as my wife and i had a bet in 2008 (the year they were born) that whatever team won the flag first our two children would follow that team. - Sigh.

jeemak
10-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Like many others, I had no choice in the matter.

My grandfather on my mother's side played for Footscray and Carlton, and both her family and my fathers grew up in Altona and Kingsville respectively.

My father migrated to Australia in the early 50's as a six year old, and followed Geelong initially. Having had that beaten out of him at school he quickly turned to following Footscray.

My mother's family split in terms of support, with my grandfather aligning himself with the Blues as that's where he finished his career, and his son followed him. My grandmother on that side, and my mothers younger sister stayed with the Bulldogs, as my grandmother was from the Sandilands family (related to Laurie, though not closely).

So, my brother and I ended up following the Bulldogs. Though, only one of us stuck true. After losing a practice match between the the '86-'87 seasons to an interstate side my brother changed over to Carlton. As a ten year old, he saw his first premiership. Apparently, we were at our grandmother's place at the start of that preseason game and things were going OK. By the time we'd crossed the Westgate and gotten home to Wheelers Hill we were copping a spanking. That was enough for my brother, he folded.

I followed my brother into many situations blindly, being two years younger than he. This is one time I didn't, and it was particularly common for me to do so at that age. I'll let you decide whether I've made the right choice. I've made peace with my decision.

Eastdog
13-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Good stories on how we started supporting the Bulldogs. Hopefully the pain now will be in a couple of years gone and we are finals bound again.

Eastdog
03-11-2012, 02:31 PM

Nice Story F'scary.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-11-2012, 02:56 PM
I can't recall a time in my life when I didn't follow Footscray, and I also can't remember ever when the single moment was where I made the conscious decision to follow the Dogs. I just always have and I guess it must have been a subconscious choice, or osmosis due to my Mum.
She and her family moved from England at the end of WW2, and settled in the Western Suburbs, building a house in Brooklyn. I must've recalled when I was very little my Mum mentioning that she went to the 1954 Grand Final with her friends, and perhaps that's how I chose them.

My earliest Footscray related memory was my Gran knitting me a red White and Blue jumper when I was about 3 or 4, and then I remember at 6 years of age getting my first proper guernsey and getting Kelvin Templeton's number put on the back.

My two sisters followed Carlton and Collingwood. My Dad who was an American detested footy, and my Mum notionally followed Footscray although wasn't a big footy fan. However her attendance at the 1954 GF has become like a family heirloom passed down the line.
I just live in hope that one day I can see a Dogs GF so I don't have to live vicariously through my Mum's experience.

As my wife and I get ready for our first child to be born in April next year, I am already planning to make sure he/she is suitably indoctrinated to support the Dogs in the same manner as I was. Already planning to make sure there is plenty of Dogs themed merchandise around the baby right from the get go just to help the process along some.

always right
03-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Like many others, I had no choice in the matter.

My grandfather on my mother's side played for Footscray and Carlton, and both her family and my fathers grew up in Altona and Kingsville respectively.

My father migrated to Australia in the early 50's as a six year old, and followed Geelong initially. Having had that beaten out of him at school he quickly turned to following Footscray.

My mother's family split in terms of support, with my grandfather aligning himself with the Blues as that's where he finished his career, and his son followed him. My grandmother on that side, and my mothers younger sister stayed with the Bulldogs, as my grandmother was from the Sandilands family (related to Laurie, though not closely).

So, my brother and I ended up following the Bulldogs. Though, only one of us stuck true. After losing a practice match between the the '86-'87 seasons to an interstate side my brother changed over to Carlton. As a ten year old, he saw his first premiership. Apparently, we were at our grandmother's place at the start of that preseason game and things were going OK. By the time we'd crossed the Westgate and gotten home to Wheelers Hill we were copping a spanking. That was enough for my brother, he folded.

I followed my brother into many situations blindly, being two years younger than he. This is one time I didn't, and it was particularly common for me to do so at that age. I'll let you decide whether I've made the right choice. I've made peace with my decision.

My heart sinks when I hear of bulldogs supporters changing allegiance...even when it occurs at a young age. I would be decimated if any of my children changed clubs.......being a bulldogs supporter is a true challenge of character but I have always loved the club and will never stop dreaming of the day we supporters can enjoy what we truly deserve. I often imagine the emotions I would experience the moment we find ourselves in front when the GF final siren blows. I reckon I will be a blubbering mess.

Eastdog
03-11-2012, 03:48 PM
My heart sinks when I hear of bulldogs supporters changing allegiance...even when it occurs at a young age. I would be decimated if any of my children changed clubs.......being a bulldogs supporter is a true challenge of character but I have always loved the club and will never stop dreaming of the day we supporters can enjoy what we truly deserve. I often imagine the emotions I would experience the moment we find ourselves in front when the GF final siren blows. I reckon I will be a blubbering mess.

No matter where we are on the ladder I will always stick by the Doggies because that's what makes a real supporter. When we do win the GF it will be huge for us because we haven't won it in such a long time.

wimberga
03-11-2012, 03:59 PM
I grew up in a small town where the local footy team was the bombers. Therefore I think my "first" AFL team was Essendon. However, somewhere around the age of 8-10 when North Melbourne had king Carey and a few of my friends at school were going for norf, I jumped ship and mum bought me a roos jumper with Corey Mckernan's number on the back. I still remember her waking me up one morning extra early telling me I could have the day off school because she was taking me to watch Norf train. Got a few signatures as well which was nice.

Around the year 2000, I stopped playing AFL and switched to soccer (scottish dad) and generally lost interest in AFL completely. All the guys at school followed and played, but I was in madly in love with Liverpool and would spend my weekends staying up late to watch EPL and not taking any notice of AFL at all. However, somewhere around 2006 I started to get back into AFL but just didnt feel anything at all when watching either Essendon or Norf.

When Dad emigrated from Scotland, he lived in Footscray and they were his team and I started watching them and felt a connection. Been with them ever since and is the only AFL team that I really have conciously supported. Can't see myself changing team ever again, I was young and didnt know better haha.

Not a great story but thats how I came to follow the dogs!

always right
03-11-2012, 06:08 PM
I grew up in a small town where the local footy team was the bombers. Therefore I think my "first" AFL team was Essendon. However, somewhere around the age of 8-10 when North Melbourne had king Carey and a few of my friends at school were going for norf, I jumped ship and mum bought me a roos jumper with Corey Mckernan's number on the back. I still remember her waking me up one morning extra early telling me I could have the day off school because she was taking me to watch Norf train. Got a few signatures as well which was nice.

Around the year 2000, I stopped playing AFL and switched to soccer (scottish dad) and generally lost interest in AFL completely. All the guys at school followed and played, but I was in madly in love with Liverpool and would spend my weekends staying up late to watch EPL and not taking any notice of AFL at all. However, somewhere around 2006 I started to get back into AFL but just didnt feel anything at all when watching either Essendon or Norf.

When Dad emigrated from Scotland, he lived in Footscray and they were his team and I started watching them and felt a connection. Been with them ever since and is the only AFL team that I really have conciously supported. Can't see myself changing team ever again, I was young and didnt know better haha.

Not a great story but thats how I came to follow the dogs!
Great story:)

Remi Moses
03-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Grew-up in Footscray and just did what everyone else should do in the western suburbs and follow the local team.

Likewise, did spend a few years in the 70 's in Perth.
As someone else put it "until death do us part".

Sockeye Salmon
03-11-2012, 11:53 PM
No matter where we are on the ladder I will always stick by the Doggies because that's what makes a real supporter. When we do win the GF it will be huge for us because we haven't won it in such a long time.

Two of the four Bulldogs supporting kids at our Auskick now barrack for other teams.

Eastdog
04-11-2012, 12:41 AM
Two of the four Bulldogs supporting kids at our Auskick now barrack for other teams.

Hopefully when we get success then kids who don't have a team will support us but its not surprising they are turning to other teams with the state we are in at the moment. Out of interest how many Bulldog fans roughly are at your Auskick Sockeye.

Sockeye Salmon
04-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Hopefully when we get success then kids who don't have a team will support us but its not surprising they are turning to other teams with the state we are in at the moment. Out of interest how many Bulldog fans roughly are at your Auskick Sockeye.

We had 4, including my bloke, now we have 2. One of them turned up to Milo cricket on Friday in a Hawthorn T-shirt so I asked him what was going on. He just said he didn't like the Bulldogs anymore.

I'm in Mt Waverley

AndrewP6
04-11-2012, 10:43 AM
We had 4, including my bloke, now we have 2. One of them turned up to Milo cricket on Friday in a Hawthorn T-shirt so I asked him what was going on. He just said he didn't like the Bulldogs anymore.

I'm in Mt Waverley

I brainwashed my nephews,.aged 6 & 3. Bought them new jumpers with the hoops and everything. At some point, the younger one simply decided he was "going for the Hawks now"....

Eastdog
04-11-2012, 02:57 PM

I'm in Mt Waverley

Well when we have a premiership dynasty will get a few more kids supporting us. :)

BornInDroopSt'54
05-11-2012, 10:15 AM
I was born in Droop St Footscray in 1954 to a father who had played with Melbourne reserves, barracked for Melbourne and a mother born in Royal Park who followed Carlton but never played for them. I was my older brother’s (The Banker) birthday present, being born on his second birthday. We barracked for Collingwood until I was four, when I guess he realised we lived in Footscray. We moved from Footscray in 1961, the year we last played in the Grand Final and I can remember all the streamers draping Buckley St and the air of excitement.
We would kick a footy with Ricky Spargo who lived at the fire brigade in Droop St and whose brother Bob played for the Bulldogs and who also went on to play with the Bulldogs. Family friends were the Spurlings of whom a couple played for the mighty red, white and blue. As little squirts we would walk through the back streets to the Western Oval to see games and to watch training. My hero was Ted Whitten for his manly exploits in the name of our team but also our honest and hard working blond haired ruckman John Shultz.

LostDoggy
08-11-2012, 08:17 AM

I'm in Mt Waverley

I brainwashed my nephews,.aged 6 & 3. Bought them new jumpers with the hoops and everything. At some point, the younger one simply decided he was "going for the Hawks now"....

You need to be firm, this is what I said to my two boys aged 8 & 5.
Boys in life you can change many things, car, house, hell you can even change your wife or girlfriend.

But one thing you can never change is your footy team! then my 5 year old started to cry:p

Maddog37
08-11-2012, 10:35 AM
I have told my kids (7 and 10) they can change footy teams any time they like.

The only catch is if they do change then they need to find a new place to live.

bornadog
08-11-2012, 10:37 AM

Like:)

Sockeye Salmon
08-11-2012, 03:58 PM

I said that to my pup when he was about 5.

A good 40 minutes later he came back and with some hesitation, told me he had decided to stay! I think it must have been a close run thing.

always right
08-11-2012, 06:08 PM
I said that to my pup when he was about 5.

A good 40 minutes later he came back and with some hesitation, told me he had decided to stay! I think it must have been a close run thing.

:D

Imagine what you'd have done if he had returned carrying a suitcase.

Eastdog
05-12-2012, 11:49 PM

Very cruel there Maddog37 :D

Maddog37
06-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Tough love!

OLD SCRAGGer
06-12-2012, 10:56 AM
My Dad was a RABID Doggies supporter, Mum barracked for South Melbourne. Dad used to rave about Jack Collins , ie: "Wonder how many goals Collo will kick today" etc, etc. Mum got sick of hearing about , as she used to say "BLOODY JACK COLLINS" so one day Dad took her to a game and Jack kicked 6 goals and Mum was HOOKED That's how my brother and I became mad Doggies people as well :) :)

BornInDroopSt'54
06-12-2012, 11:26 AM
My Dad was a RABID Doggies supporter, Mum barracked for South Melbourne. Dad used to rave about Jack Collins , ie: "Wonder how many goals Collo will kick today" etc, etc. Mum got sick of hearing about , as she used to say "BLOODY JACK COLLINS" so one day Dad took her to a game and Jack kicked 6 goals and Mum was HOOKED That's how my brother and I became mad Doggies people as well :) :)

Jack Collins must have rivalled Ted Whitten for star quality and hero worship, did he?
Sorry to hear about your dad's rabies, such is a dog's lot.

LostDoggy
10-12-2012, 06:59 PM
My mum baracked for the dogs, brought up in Braybrook and Williamstown it was just a natural thing that I would follow the dogs. Nearly all my family are dog members, we have 14 permant seats at Etihad.
All I can say is HOW SWEET it will be when we finally win another flag, all I wish is that it is before I kark it !
On a side note I do have one neice who has 6 kids, 5 follow "Daddy's Team" for heavens sake Collingwood.
One follows "Mummy's Team", the mighty bulldogs. A couple of Christmas's ago she openned a present and started crying, it was a black and white dress, nothing to do with Collingwood, she said I don't barrack for THAT team. What a lovely child she is !

F'scary
11-12-2012, 03:57 PM

Eastdog
31-01-2013, 05:50 PM
I was born in Droop St Footscray in 1954 to a father who had played with Melbourne reserves, barracked for Melbourne and a mother born in Royal Park who followed Carlton but never played for them. I was my older brother’s (The Banker) birthday present, being born on his second birthday. We barracked for Collingwood until I was four, when I guess he realised we lived in Footscray. We moved from Footscray in 1961, the year we last played in the Grand Final and I can remember all the streamers draping Buckley St and the air of excitement.
We would kick a footy with Ricky Spargo who lived at the fire brigade in Droop St and whose brother Bob played for the Bulldogs and who also went on to play with the Bulldogs. Family friends were the Spurlings of whom a couple played for the mighty red, white and blue. As little squirts we would walk through the back streets to the Western Oval to see games and to watch training. My hero was Ted Whitten for his manly exploits in the name of our team but also our honest and hard working blond haired ruckman John Shultz.

Nice story BornInDroopst'54.

LostDoggy
02-02-2013, 12:38 AM
I didn't have a choice in the matter. My mum's been taking me to the footy every week since I was born. Both of my sisters as well. Dad supports North Melbourne. So Mum and Dad had a deal, the daughters would support the Dogs and the sons North - mum did a great job of having only daughters! It also helped that Dad worked Saturday's when we were kids so it was always Mum that took as to the footy.

My Mum supports the Dogs because one of her older brothers would beat up his younger siblings if they didn't support them (he had 5 younger ones, pity he didn't convert the 5 older ones!). My Uncle only supported the Dogs because a friend of his at school did. So from one school yard friendship the Dogs got about 25 members! (yup, big extended family...)

Great story :) on ya mum, tell your mum your friends at Woof thinks she is quality!
Most Mums leave it to Dad so him not being able to take you and Mum does it and Every week that's Gold!

LostDoggy
02-02-2013, 12:41 AM

Lol oh wow the Prelims recently must've really hurt in every way possible mate.

LostDoggy
02-02-2013, 01:09 AM
I'm another who never had a choice I was born into the Dogs and I have gladly passed that down to my kids. They struggle sometimes thinking why do we follow the Dogs but they are growing and starting to understand and like me they will pass it on to their own. We must give kids choices in life just not that one.

It builds Loyalty to follow the Dogs, It teaches us to never take anything for granted and to relish and enjoy the good times and more so to push through the bad times.

The first game I remember was the '85' Prelim when I was Six. So ive hardly had to endure what most of us have. I dream of the day the Dogs win the flag I so badly want my Dad to be alive for it (no he is not dying) its just time is getting away from some of us :) and Jeepers the last couple of years have felt like we are an eternity from it.

But these last few weeks I'm starting to believe again, I'm excited at what we are building and truly believe that this time around we are doing it right for the first time. It feels like no corners are being cut, for the first time we don't have the shadow of folding over us. We have invested in our Footy Dept. and building solidly from the Ground up. I can't wait to get our teeth into this Season and beyond.

I truly believe, We will rise and it will be swift, and we will go deeper than we have in a very long time.

And the Party will be Epic. Go Bulldogs.

LostDoggy
02-02-2013, 01:02 PM
The old man goes for Norf and Mum follows the filth, but my best mate at kinder (and next door neighbour) when I was 4 barracked for the Dogs. Still have no idea how or why as we lived in out in the sticks in central Victoria, but something just clicked. Dad even gave me a North footy signed by '96 premiership side, but I was hooked. Moved closer to the city since then and have been going to every game I can for 4-5 years, and have hooked my 9 year old brother too! Take him every week to watch the Dogs play and he might even be a madder supporter than me. Counting down the sleeps to the NAB cup!

always right
02-02-2013, 01:20 PM
The old man goes for Norf and Mum follows the filth, but my best mate at kinder (and next door neighbour) when I was 4 barracked for the Dogs. Still have no idea how or why as we lived in out in the sticks in central Victoria, but something just clicked. Dad even gave me a North footy signed by '96 premiership side, but I was hooked. Moved closer to the city since then and have been going to every game I can for 4-5 years, and have hooked my 9 year old brother too! Take him every week to watch the Dogs play and he might even be a madder supporter than me. Counting down the sleeps to the NAB cup!

I love stories like this when despite all the odds, we end up with two more passionate supporters. I hope you are rewarded in the coming years.

Eastdog
02-02-2013, 03:04 PM

Another fairly similar story to me Cricho54 except that I'm the only supporter in my family.

LostDoggy
06-02-2013, 07:23 PM
I love stories like this when despite all the odds, we end up with two more passionate supporters. I hope you are rewarded in the coming years.

Me too mate, me too. Having been a rabid supporter for only 15 or so years (a large portion of my life) I would be an absolute blubbering mess if we won the big one. Can't imagine what it must be like for the legends who have been believers for much, much longer than I.

Eastdog
07-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Me too mate, me too. Having been a rabid supporter for only 15 or so years (a large portion of my life) I would be an absolute blubbering mess if we won the big one. Can't imagine what it must be like for the legends who have been believers for much, much longer than I.

Ive been going for the Dogs for nearly 12 years now it would be fantastic if we had the ultimate success. The celebrations would be endless because its been so long.

Eastdog
16-02-2013, 01:08 AM

This season looks to be another tough one and I hope we are much more competitive and stay in games longer. If we rebuild the right way I'm sure we can have the ultimate success but that takes lots and lots of work.

Eastdog
13-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Thought ill bump this thread up for any new woofers and current woofers. Always good hearing the stories.

nagoyadog
13-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Thought ill bump this thread up for any new woofers and current woofers. Always good hearing the stories.

Just posted my story in another thread so I won't repeat again here, but I can mention my families allegiances. I have converted my sis and brothers to Dogs supporters over the years. My mum is a Collingwood supporter, but after years of hearing me go on about the 'stereotypical toothless' e.t.c Magpies supporter, I reckon she's leaning, almost toppling over to the Bulldogs.

Unfortunately, my sister's husband is a Carlton man, so my nephews have followed their dad. My brother- in - law's family are too fanatical, so I don't like my chances of conversion there. I get in my nephew's ear but it doesn't go down well at all. For the sake of familial relationships I put up with the heathens:)

Oh...how could I forget. Converted my g/f from Essendon. The drugs scandal was the sealer!

F'scary
13-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Just posted my story in another thread so I won't repeat again here, but I can mention my families allegiances. I have converted my sis and brothers to Dogs supporters over the years. My mum is a Collingwood supporter, but after years of hearing me go on about the 'stereotypical toothless' e.t.c Magpies supporter, I reckon she's leaning, almost toppling over to the Bulldogs.

Unfortunately, my sister's husband is a Carlton man, so my nephews have followed their dad. My brother- in - law's family are too fanatical, so I don't like my chances of conversion there. I get in my nephew's ear but it doesn't go down well at all. For the sake of familial relationships I put up with the heathens:)

Oh...how could I forget. Converted my g/f from Essendon. The drugs scandal was the sealer!

Nagoya - is that a type of really hot chilli? Sounds like you should be working in our promotion & membership department.

nagoyadog
13-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Nagoya - is that a type of really hot chilli? Sounds like you should be working in our promotion & membership department.

Haha! Nah mate, not chilli, rather a city in Japan. I lived there for 6 years and used the username on footy websites. I'm back now, but I decided the keep the name.

F'scary
13-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Haha! Nah mate, not chilli, rather a city in Japan. I lived there for 6 years and used the username on footy websites. I'm back now, but I decided the keep the name.

Maybe it is a really hot chilli that is native to that region? I'm going to Google.

F'scary
13-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Maybe it is a really hot chilli that is native to that region? I'm going to Google.

Well, my search has shown that the Red Hot Chilli Peppers played in Nagoya.

Eastdog
15-09-2021, 10:38 PM
Me: Western Bulldogs
Mum: Melbourne
Dad: Not interested in footy
Brother: Collingwood

I started supporting the Bulldogs in 2001. The story goes like this: I went to (I was 12 at the time) a match with my Uncle and Mum from memory who are both Melbourne supporters between Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs at the MCG on a Friday Night. The Bulldogs won that match by 30 points and I remember clapping and cheering when the Dogs were going to win. 11 years on and I'm a very proud supporter of the Western Bulldogs and hopefully in the not to distant future we can win our 2nd premiership.
Be great to here your stories and who all your family support.

Divided loyalty in our house come Sep 25. I'm hoping I'll have the last laugh in the end :D

Kruder also in a similar situation to me.

Danny the snakeman
17-09-2021, 06:11 PM
My family like myself are born and bred bulldogs. Which ended up great for me because i got 15 barcodes off them for the GF .

Twodogs
17-09-2021, 09:58 PM
Divided loyalty in our house come Sep 25. I'm hoping I'll have the last laugh in the end :D

Kruder also in a similar situation to me.

I remember that game against Melbourne. It was Friday night at the MCG. Luke Penny gave David Neitz (who was kicking lots of goals) a real bath and I got into an argument with a traffic cop.

merantau
18-09-2021, 06:05 PM
Only Dogs supporters in our house - and one more on the way!

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/gZm46oW8XieQ

He can kick both feet too.

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/zLbs93cwbRzl

LostDog
18-09-2021, 11:50 PM
Funny enough as a young kid I had a Melbourne Demons tshirt, that didn't last long my dad influenced me into the dogs, my uncle influenced my brother in to the Tigers, funny as my uncle switched to the bombers in the 90s

I grew up with a lot of the Tassie crop of stars the Rawlings brothers, Richo, Ben Harrison all the Devonport
Remember picking on Ben Brown as a skinny teenager how things have changed
I work in the mines in WA guess you could say we all made it

westbulldog
19-09-2021, 11:11 AM
Only Dogs supporters in our house - and one more on the way!

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/gZm46oW8XieQ

He can kick both feet too.

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/zLbs93cwbRzl

There is our No'1 draft pick in 2036 !

merantau
19-09-2021, 02:19 PM
There is our No'1 draft pick in 2036 !

And he sleeps in his Bulldog cap!

bornadog
19-09-2021, 02:28 PM
And he sleeps in his Bulldog cap!

You have done well in brainwashing him :)

DOG GOD
19-09-2021, 05:00 PM
I was brought up in an Essendon household. Wasn’t hugely into football, but “sort of” followed Essendon, coz living in tassie we never saw any games and there was little on tv. It wasn’t until about 1984 that I got a footy card of Simon Beasley and I thought his hair was pretty cool. I also loved the red, white and blue colours of the bulldogs, so myself and bro changed teams and have been dogs ever since.

EasternWest
19-09-2021, 08:35 PM
I was brought up in an Essendon household. Wasn’t hugely into football, but “sort of” followed Essendon, coz living in tassie we never saw any games and there was little on tv. It wasn’t until about 1984 that I got a footy card of Simon Beasley and I thought his hair was pretty cool. I also loved the red, white and blue colours of the bulldogs, so myself and bro changed teams and have been dogs ever since.

This may be the only time those words have ever been put together in that order.

Eastdog
19-09-2021, 09:50 PM

Nice story DOG GOD.

DOG GOD
20-09-2021, 05:41 PM
This may be the only time those words have ever been put together in that order.

Haha

angelopetraglia
20-09-2021, 07:19 PM
My extended family are all Bulldog supporters (we all have reserved seats together). Not being able to watch the game with father, my brother, my sister, nephews and nieces is going to really hurt.

Grand Final Day in 2016 was special as we could share in the moment together. We are all going to miss that this time around.