PDA

View Full Version : That winning feeling

Hotdog60
09-02-2012, 11:05 AM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/McCartney240.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney was so excited this week by the Dogs' training form - and more importantly their adherence to his methods and new game plan - that he has compared the feeling it gave him to the exhilaration of winning a game.

McCartney is yet to coach an official AFL match in his own right let alone win one, but he knows a lot about success after being an integral part of Geelong's dynasty.

At a dinner at the town hall in Swan Hill, where the Bulldogs held their two-day community camp, McCartney revealed Monday's session at Whitten Oval was a small landmark for coaches and players.

And it might one day be viewed as something far more significant than that if McCartney's plan for the Bulldogs comes to fruition.

"We had a session yesterday where it just worked, and it went very well," McCartney said.

"As a coach - and it's a bit like being a parent or a teacher or a boss in any form of work - when you see things come together it's incredibly satisfying.

MORE (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/128744/default.aspx)

stefoid
09-02-2012, 12:03 PM
yay, we won training! :D

Hotdog60
09-02-2012, 12:25 PM

We'll take all the silverware we can for a bare cupboard, is there a training grand final.;)

DragzLS1
09-02-2012, 12:42 PM
yay, we won training! :d

lmfaoo

bornadog
09-02-2012, 02:14 PM
anyone attend? any reports?

LostDoggy
09-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Never ask me that question again. It's not about the list, it's about the team, and how the team functions, and how people come together and do their job.

I'd have hired him for that one comment.

Cyberdoggie
09-02-2012, 04:46 PM

Hehe, Go Team!

The Underdog
09-02-2012, 05:00 PM

The season can't turn up quickly enough, I avoid anything but Dogs stories most of the time in the pre-season, but even most of those are execrable.
Although I'm not sure that avoiding the media isn't also a good tactic in the season proper.

Apparently someone else was impressed by it too. I'll give it to McCartney, he can talk a good game, fingers crossed it translates to the matches.

AndrewP6
09-02-2012, 10:11 PM

I wouldn't have, based on the next sentence -

"It's almost more satisfying than winning a game sometimes to see young players improve and master things that you've been asking them to work at."

Training well is almost more satisfying than winning a game??? Hmm....

jeemak
09-02-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm struggling to buy in to anything BM says, and won't turn it around until I see a change in attitude and playing style across the board. Nothing against the guy, just saying I can't get excited about talk at this time of year.

Before I Die
09-02-2012, 11:07 PM

"It's almost more satisfying than winning a game sometimes to see young players improve and master things that you've been asking them to work at."

Big picture view.

Crap teams with crap game plans still win some games and celebrate like the odd random win is meaningful.

Seeing the game plan come together at training is meaningful and a necessary step towards sustained success. But the proof is in the pudding and that comes out of the oven in a few weeks.

Ghost Dog
10-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Go doooooogggiiiieeeezzz

LostDoggy
10-02-2012, 04:47 PM

Well, seeing them improve and master those things is obviously going to win us more than one game, so yeah, would agree 100% with him.

I can't get excited about talk at this time of year.

I can. And why the hell not? Gee this place can be so negative! OK, so you don't always want to buy the club line, and rightly so, but can't we just have a tiny bit of hope and excitement?!?! Footy!! 8 days!! COME ON!!

Maddog37
10-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Bmac really comes across to me as an Alex Ferguson type figure. Not sure why. Any thoughts?

Bulldog Revolution
10-02-2012, 10:41 PM
This

The talk has been different though because its from a new voice,

But you are right, even Rohde talked a reasonable game

Its going to be an exciting season

bornadog
11-02-2012, 02:05 PM
The talk has been different though because its from a new voice,

But you are right, even Rohde talked a reasonable game

Its going to be an exciting season

Every season I can't get gee'd up until the official first round.

Interesting listening to all the talk, so this year makes it a little more exciting because we have a new coach.

Bulldog4life
13-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Every season I can't get gee'd up until the official first round.

Interesting listening to all the talk, so this year makes it a little more exciting because we have a new coach.

I find it very easy to get gee'd up at the start of each season even during the practice matches. I love it.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Bmac really comes across to me as an Alex Ferguson type figure. Not sure why. Any thoughts?

The feedback from both Essendon last year and Geelong previously on BMcC's football knowledge has been excellent. A lot will depend on the talent he has at his disposal. Comparisons with Geelong at the moment would suggest that we have a long way to go insofar as football ability is concerned. His emphasis on developing a team first is a good sign as for too long our reliance has been on a few individual stars. I recall when Malthouse was going the Dogs his ability lay in getting the most out of ordinary players. I would like to think that BMcC may well have a similar approach and providing we are ultra competitive each week then you would have to be satisfied. In an earlier discussion I had with the new coach he made reference to the competitive nature of Last year's pre-lim final between Collingwoodv Hawthorn as the yardstick in intensity that he will be seeking at the WB.

jeemak
13-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Well, seeing them improve and master those things is obviously going to win us more than one game, so yeah, would agree 100% with him.

I can. And why the hell not? Gee this place can be so negative! OK, so you don't always want to buy the club line, and rightly so, but can't we just have a tiny bit of hope and excitement?!?! Footy!! 8 days!! COME ON!!

I'm not saying you guys can't feel how you like about the talk. Some people are cynics, others are optimists. Some people wait and see, others are happy to jump in without checking the depth of the water.........it doesn't really matter either way.

If you want to view my post as negative then good for you. If you want to be hopeful on the back of what the coach says without watching a competitive hit out then great. Nobody's having a crack.

Mantis
13-02-2012, 08:01 PM
In an earlier discussion I had with the new coach he made reference to the competitive nature of Last year's pre-lim final between Collingwoodv Hawthorn as the yardstick in intensity that he will be seeking at the WB.

So he wants us to play like we did in the 2009 PF against St.Kilda?

We need to be something more than just intense.

Bulldog4life
13-02-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm not saying you guys can't feel how you like about the talk. Some people are cynics, others are optimists. Some people wait and see, others are happy to jump in without checking the depth of the water.........it doesn't really matter either way.

If you want to view my post as negative then good for you. If you want to be hopeful on the back of what the coach says without watching a competitive hit out then great. Nobody's having a crack.

Good Post. It takes all kinds to make this crazy world that we live in and this forum is indicative of that.

azabob
13-02-2012, 10:36 PM
So he wants us to play like we did in the 2009 PF against St.Kilda?

We need to be something more than just intense.

What is that something else?

Mantis
14-02-2012, 06:32 PM
What is that something else?

We wait and see, but as well as being hard in and around the contest we need to seriously improve our foot skills and ball movement patterns.

Greystache
14-02-2012, 06:36 PM
We wait and see, but as well as being hard in and around the contest we need to seriously improve our foot skills and ball movement patterns.

And helping to protect and create space for the ball carrier, something we've been very poor at.

always right
14-02-2012, 10:59 PM
I reckon we need to be harder at the ball, compete in numbers, hit targets, take on the opposition, get our structure right, improve our fitness, get our ball movement right, give our young blokes experience, manage our injured players well and expose our opposition's weaknesses whilst restricting their strengths.

I give McCartney until round 6 to address all these or I'll be screaming for a full review of the footy department and the panel that selected McCartney instead of Leon Cameron.

jeemak
14-02-2012, 11:55 PM
At least give the guy until round 11 man. It's only fair.

the banker
15-02-2012, 09:35 AM
I reckon we need to be harder at the ball, compete in numbers, hit targets, take on the opposition, get our structure right, improve our fitness, get our ball movement right, give our young blokes experience, manage our injured players well and expose our opposition's weaknesses whilst restricting their strengths.

I give McCartney until round 6 to address all these or I'll be screaming for a full review of the footy department and the panel that selected McCartney instead of Leon Cameron.

Lol?

always right
15-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Lol?

:rolleyes:

stefoid
15-02-2012, 12:08 PM

What about 'win games'

bornadog
15-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Disposal is one of the key factors we have been lacking in the past couple of years. Wasn't long ago that we were regarded as on of the most accurate kicking teams with our precision movement of the ball and hitting of targets. I guess we haven't been able to cope with the pressure under the forward press and our disposal suffered.

BMC needs to address this and ensure we don't give up the ball so easily.

SlimPickens
15-02-2012, 04:45 PM

You're joking right?:confused:

Greystache
15-02-2012, 05:18 PM
You're joking right?:confused:

I think this was attempted humour.

Ironically he identified several areas we're actually very poor in, while also naming areas that are still a strenght.

Maddog37
15-02-2012, 07:34 PM
The best humour is always rooted in truth.......

LostDoggy
15-02-2012, 09:02 PM
What about 'win games'

Doesn't matter. As long as the processes and outputs are right, the outcomes will take care of themselves.

Sockeye Salmon
15-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Disposal is one of the key factors we have been lacking in the past couple of years. Wasn't long ago that we were regarded as on of the most accurate kicking teams with our precision movement of the ball and hitting of targets. I guess we haven't been able to cope with the pressure under the forward press and our disposal suffered.

BMC needs to address this and ensure we don't give up the ball so easily.

By drafting Smith and Talia?

Chicago1
16-02-2012, 06:36 AM
The proof is in the pudding. I'll wait to see if we have a prize winning recipe.