PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Higgins says there won't be any more excuses

LostDoggy
10-02-2012, 05:41 AM
by: Mark Stevens (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/shaun-higgins-says-there-wont-be-any-more-excuses/story-e6frf9jf-1226267170719)
February 10, 2012 12:00AM

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56033111/164404-shaun-higgins.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: SHAUN Higgins is not shying away from a simple pledge: It is time to deliver.

After seasons of hearing himself dubbed the "next big thing" then being hobbled by injury, the Western Bulldog knows there are no more excuses.

"You get a few injuries, which is out of your control, but there comes a time when you need to deliver and I feel like I'm at that stage now," Higgins said yesterday. "That's why I've done so much work to get my body right - I won't be able to use that as an excuse any more.

"That so-called potential in the future can become reality now, hopefully."

Higgins made his debut in 2006 and has played 87 games, but has never had a clear run at having a breakout year.

The cursed luck started with a dislocated elbow in his first year, followed by a smashed ankle, groin soreness, the illness thyroiditis and then a nagging knee injury last year.

Unsigned beyond this season, Higgins, 23, feels ready to repay the faith. Before Christmas he had surgery to realign his knee cap and trim cartilage.

"We've been saying for a few years that it's part and parcel of football, but it does get frustrating at times when you can't get your body 100 per cent or where you need it to be to play - and that was the case last year," Higgins said.

"But I've done a lot of work ouside the club to get everything right and I'm confident I can have a good year. I couldn't have done any more, so whatever happens from here, happens."

As Higgins struggled with a knee injury last year and the team started to splutter mid-season, former coach Rodney Eade threw him into defence.

It helped the leaky Dogs' defence and allowed Higgins to grow in confidence, but it seems unlikely it will happen again in a hurry.

Under new coach Brendan McCartney, Higgins has been training to play a forward/midfield role.

"It was temporary last year and what the side and myself needed at the time," Higgins said. "I've been spending a lot of time up forward and through the midfield again, which I've loved."

In a perfect world, Higgins would like a 60/40 forward/midfield mix. He will start pushing his case in an intraclub match tomorrow and is on track for Round 1 of the NAB Cup.

Higgins has worked closely with assistants Steven King and Shannon Grant and been part of a new focus on leg strength.

"We've done a lot more leg weights across the whole list," he said.

Dogmatic
10-02-2012, 03:51 PM
There better not be any more excuses!

The Bulldogs Bite
10-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Higgins really hasn't even shown what he's capable of for 1-2 years.

In 2009 he suffered a few injuries -- may have been groin? -- but he had a pretty good year from memory. He influenced a few games, and generally looked a class above when he did play.

Sadly, the last two years that has slowly evaporated. He's often looked slow, has been pushed off the ball and his disposal has dropped away. Also -- another point of interest is that he hasn't been taking those contested marks that he regularly took in his first few seasons.

Hopefully he can deliver.

LostDoggy
10-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Higgins really hasn't even shown what he's capable of for 1-2 years.

In 2009 he suffered a few injuries -- may have been groin? -- but he had a pretty good year from memory. He influenced a few games, and generally looked a class above when he did play.

Sadly, the last two years that has slowly evaporated. He's often looked slow, has been pushed off the ball and his disposal has dropped away. Also -- another point of interest is that he hasn't been taking those contested marks that he regularly took in his first few seasons.

Hopefully he can deliver.

He will, if his body gives him the chance.

SlimPickens
10-02-2012, 05:35 PM
He will, if his body gives him the chance.

Wish i had your confidence....Higgins has been a major disappointment for me. I'll be closely watching his defensive efforts in the pre-season to see in Bmac has had an affect.

angelopetraglia
10-02-2012, 06:44 PM
He definitely has the ability. We have seen enough in patches to say he can play. He just needs to bring his A game every week. Hopefully his body does stand up.

Bulldog Revolution
10-02-2012, 10:37 PM
Unlike others I still have very high hopes for Shaun and still believe he can become an A-grader

It all comes down to whether he can get his body right

I think he is a player who will benefit from a new coach

jazzadogs
11-02-2012, 01:39 AM
The main thing with Higgins is that he is still only 23. He's not over the hill, by any means.

Hopefully the change in focus during pre-season, with emphasis on leg-weights especially, will help keep him on the park and performing well this year.

Sedat
11-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Higgins is probably the most intriguing player on our list to see what effect the new coach can have on his game. Defensively he has been a huge disappointment, which might be attributed to his knee injury last season. But I don't think in 2012 he'll be doing anywhere near as much finger-pointing to his teammates upfield to chase the opposition ball carrier.

GVGjr
11-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Higgins is probably the most intriguing player on our list to see what effect the new coach can have on his game. Defensively he has been a huge disappointment, which might be attributed to his knee injury last season. But I don't think in 2012 he'll be doing anywhere near as much finger-pointing to his teammates upfield to chase the opposition ball carrier.

Spot on Sedat. I think Higgins cops a bigger whack than he deserves but he hasn't been as productive as he should be.
I think he is due for a big season and if can manage to stay injury free I think he can be a big improver for us. I'd love to know what role the coach sees him filling this year.

FrediKanoute
12-02-2012, 09:26 PM
I think he is a gun. On song he is top5 at the club. Write off last year. He wasn't fit and at this level playing the positions he plays being 10% behind the opposition means you are out of the game. Will come good in 2012.

chef
13-02-2012, 08:19 AM
I think he is a gun. On song he is top5 at the club. Write off last year. He wasn't fit and at this level playing the positions he plays being 10% behind the opposition means you are out of the game. Will come good in 2012.

Has he ever been that good?

Dancin' Douggy
13-02-2012, 10:03 AM

Maybe not top 5. But I wouldn't rule it out.
Please everyone remember he has had a broken ankle one year. A dislocated elbow another year. =These are two major injuries to get over.
The talent is definitely there.

chef
13-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Maybe not top 5. But I wouldn't rule it out.
Please everyone remember he has had a broken ankle one year. A dislocated elbow another year. =These are two major injuries to get over.
The talent is definitely there.

Didn't he have that injury in his first year?

If he can get himself to a Gia level I would be happy. The talent is there but that only takes you so far.

Murphy'sLore
13-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Don't forget the thyroiditis which has also knocked him around. He's had a lot to struggle with the last couple of years.

chef
13-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Glad there's no more excuses then.

Mofra
13-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Only during brief glimpses - the emphasis on leg weights is obviously part of B-Mac's contested mantra. Legs + Core strength = winning contested ball

bornadog
13-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Glad there's no more excuses then.

Until the next injury:p

the banker
13-02-2012, 02:22 PM
He had the promise of being an elite player. He has a great skill set, if only he had the work rate and uncompromised attack on the contest of a Chris Judd.

Confidence is a big factor and if he can get 100% confidence in his body then I think we could see a big lift from him.

We probably need 30 goals from him this year.

Greystache
13-02-2012, 07:46 PM
No more excuses and no more credits in the bank is all i want out of Higgins. If his form warrants a spot in our best 22 then he gets a game, if it doesn't or he won't do the team things then he plays at Willi. No more of the special treatment we extend to players we deem talented.

Sockeye Salmon
13-02-2012, 10:26 PM
This Higgins stuff is starting to sound a bit like Gia of 12 months ago.

If Higgins is hurt, he's hurt. His injuries haven't been 'general soreness', they have been real and significant.

It may be Higgins never reaches his potential because of injuries, but I can't understand the attitude of some about them.

I understand the frustration but it's not his fault. There has never been a suggestion he has not done every bit of rehab he should have nor turned up underprepared.

Cooney will probably not be the same player again, will we see the same written about him?

LostDoggy
14-02-2012, 10:12 AM

If Higgins is hurt, he's hurt. His injuries haven't been 'general soreness', they have been real and significant.

It may be Higgins never reaches his potential because of injuries, but I can't understand the attitude of some about them.

I understand the frustration but it's not his fault. There has never been a suggestion he has not done every bit of rehab he should have nor turned up underprepared.

Cooney will probably not be the same player again, will we see the same written about him?

This.

immortalmike
14-02-2012, 01:42 PM

You're right it is starting to sound a bit like the old Gia derangement syndrome. You only need to look at the intraclub thread to notice that most of the comments about his game are negative yet Steven King made specific mention of how good he felt Shaun was in that game. And King is a brand new assisstant coach with no ties to the Eade administration, which apparently showed Higgins endless amounts of favouritism...

My take on Shaun is that he's a good to very good player who's been ravaged by injuries, is rarely in our worst players on game day, suffers from a huge weight of undeserved expectation, and also much like Gia suffers from a unfair perception of softness possibly due to his pretty boy looks.

bornadog
14-02-2012, 03:48 PM
My take on Shaun is that he's a good to very good player who's been ravaged by injuries, is rarely in our worst players on game day, suffers from a huge weight of undeserved expectation, and also much like Gia suffers from a unfair perception of softness possibly due to his pretty boy looks.

Couldn't agree more. Injury free and I think we will see a class act.

Maddog37
14-02-2012, 04:43 PM
I will be very pleasantly surprised if he ever becomes the player he should have been. we will see flashes but no best and fairest seasons.

His body has constntly let him down and I would not be to keen on betting this will change.

Apart from this issue which is a major one, I also find his decision making is lacking at times and translates to skill errors and turnovers.

Having said all that I am an optimist and would dearly love to see him become what he wants to be.

LostDoggy
14-02-2012, 05:29 PM
I will be very pleasantly surprised if he ever becomes the player he should have been. we will see flashes but no best and fairest seasons.

His body has constntly let him down and I would not be to keen on betting this will change.

Apart from this issue which is a major one, I also find his decision making is lacking at times and translates to skill errors and turnovers.

Having said all that I am an optimist and would dearly love to see him become what he wants to be.

By and large his injuries have been impact injuries not injuries like hamstrings, knees etc. His body can't be described as letting him down when he smashes an ankle simply by landing awkwardly. There is no reason why njuries should prove an issue to him over any other player.

I have high hopes for him to prove his potential and become one of the better players in the group.