PDA

View Full Version : The Jones Boy - I will declare it now - he is going to be a star

Pages : [1] 2

bornadog
11-02-2012, 02:17 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/download.jpg

Not trying to put pressure on the kid, but from the half of football I saw today he is going to be a star. His marking, leading, chasing have all stepped up from last year.

Ok, Ok I am excited about the kid and its only a practise match against his mates, but the signs are there.

GVGjr
11-02-2012, 02:25 PM
You're a bit late on that declaration I would have though BAD? ;)
I don't think Bulldogtragic will mind sharing the love but I do recall he (and I) giving glowing reports from a Williamstown reserves game at Frankston a fair while back.
By his WOOF signature Bulldogtragic even has "Official Bandwagon starter of Liam Jones" in it.

SonofScray
11-02-2012, 02:27 PM
His hands are elite. The rest of his game looks to be making good steps in the right direction.

GVGjr
11-02-2012, 02:29 PM
His hands are elite. The rest of his game looks to be making good steps in the right direction.

He reminds me of a young Chris Grant in a lot of ways. Not a great kick from set shots, stronger mark than most credit him for and looks to have the ability to read the game like a more seasoned player. He has a long way to go to be as good as Grant but as you say, he's heading forward.

bornadog
11-02-2012, 02:30 PM
You're a bit late on that declaration I would have though BAD? ;)
I don't think Bulldogtragic will mind sharing the love but I do recall he (and I) giving glowing reports from a Williamstown reserves game at Frankston a fair while back.
By his WOOF signature Bulldogtragic even has "Official Bandwagon starter of Liam Jones" in it.

That talk was all about potential, now I am talking a level higher.:)

GVGjr
11-02-2012, 02:39 PM
That talk was all about potential, now I am talking a level higher.:)

I know, I know :)

Some might find this worth reading again from 2006

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4863

Bulldogtragic certainly put forward a great read here.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4879

The Bulldogs Bite
11-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Long been a fan, but boy -- he HAS improved since last season. Physically, he's really developing well. He was able to out body Markovic a few times, who is extremely tough to move in one on one's.

Jones looks really fit and his reading of the play was superb. What impressed me most was the timing of his leads.

Really exciting.

Greystache
11-02-2012, 03:28 PM
I've been a fan for a couple of years. Was very annoyed he was dropped for the 2010 finals, and was adamant he should have played all year in 2011 even after struggling in a few games. It's all coming together now and he looks ready to explode.

jazzadogs
11-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Extremely excited about him. Haven't really seen a key forward develop at the Dogs in my time (since late 90's), so don't want to get carried away.

But there is something special about him.

soupman
11-02-2012, 04:07 PM
How was that mark on the stadium side wing towards the end, when we just bombed it to a 4 on 1 and Jones just came flying through and took this ripper mark. He has something special. So exciting.

Sockeye Salmon
11-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Perhaps Markovic has dropped off instead?

Greystache
11-02-2012, 08:04 PM

Markovic and the three other defenders in the pack must all have dropped off then.

always right
11-02-2012, 08:07 PM

Don't be such a killjoy.
I was impressed with Markovic in the first half. He had a terrific battle with Jones with Jones getting on top as the game progressed. I think the coaches would have been happy with both. There's nothing wrong with supporters getting excited about the progress of a young kpp.......albeit one who still has a lot to work on.

westdog54
11-02-2012, 09:49 PM

Trust you to drag everyone down with your incessant pessimism, big fella!:D

I'm really loving what I'm reading at the moment. Very very impressed.

Just read BT's thread from his day out at Willi (the second one GVG has linked to) and pissed myself laughing. Read the words "I had movement" and almost spat out the Sprite that I was drinking.

Strongly considering throwing him in SC now. Can't wait to see him get out there.

Rocco Jones
11-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Add me to the list. All we need now is for him to do the 'easier' things. His ability to take a contested mark is already out and out elite.

wb_age
11-02-2012, 11:15 PM
I share a similar view, not that he has dropped off though, but he is an honest battler who gets more pats on his back than I personally think he deserves. (Markovic)

That being said Jonesy tore it up today, fantastic!

Big positive was that he looked very assured of himself in front of goal along with his marking of course.

Rocco Jones
11-02-2012, 11:33 PM
I share a similar view, not that he has dropped off though, but he is an honest battler who get more pats on his back than I personally think he deserves.

Definitely agree with the honest battler tag. To beat Markovic you need to be a decent KP forward who has turned up to play. From that point onward, it gets ugly for Markovic but he at least ensures a guy will hurt us just because he is tall.

I think is a decent back up defender. That's a pretty good achievement for someone with his skill set.

always right
11-02-2012, 11:35 PM
I share a similar view, not that he has dropped off though, but he is an honest battler who get more pats on his back than I personally think he deserves.

Agree with you re Markovic. You always know you will get a committed effort from him but whilst he will never be a star I think he looks more comfortable out there and seems to feel like he belongs. He simply needs to back himself a little more in an attacking sense. Thought he was pretty good in the first half but he is always going to struggle against a really good player.....and I guess Jones is taking pretty good steps to becoming one of those.

Mofra
12-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Add me to the list. All we need now is for him to do the 'easier' things. His ability to take a contested mark is already out and out elite.
Exactly what I said at the intra-club - my only knock on him is a touch of the "Cam Faulkners" about him - the easy stuff doesn;t come easy, but he nails the tough things.

His defensive efforts for a bigman are supurb.

Re: Markovic - I'm a big fan of his body-positioning, it's fantastic for a big fella but Jones managed to out position him at leats once.
For all our talk of a sharing, mobile forwardline, Jones demanded the ball more than anyone else out there.

ledge
12-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Exactly what I said at the intra-club - my only knock on him is a touch of the "Cam Faulkners" about him - the easy stuff doesn;t come easy, but he nails the tough things.

His defensive efforts for a bigman are supurb.

Re: Markovic - I'm a big fan of his body-positioning, it's fantastic for a big fella but Jones managed to out position him at leats once.
For all our talk of a sharing, mobile forwardline, Jones demanded the ball more than anyone else out there.

Dont know about that Gia certainly wanted it.

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-02-2012, 04:49 PM
He reminds me of a young Chris Grant in a lot of ways. Not a great kick from set shots, stronger mark than most credit him for and looks to have the ability to read the game like a more seasoned player. He has a long way to go to be as good as Grant but as you say, he's heading forward.

I have been excited by all the glowing reports on Jones but would prefer to wait and see before getting too carried away. Beating Markovic in a first up scratch match isn't a true test. Needs to develop more skills other than his marking and is a long way off Chris Grant at the same stage of their careers. As a key forward it is fair to say that Jones appears likely to stand out in our somewhat inadequate attack. Good to know that the promise shown last year by Liam is continuing to bear fruit.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-02-2012, 06:27 PM
People are excited because Jones didn't just beat Markovic, he beat Markovic and two to three other opponents every contested grab he took.

He still has a lot of development left, but he's going to be a very good player.

Sedat
12-02-2012, 08:24 PM
He reminds me of a young Chris Grant in a lot of ways. Not a great kick from set shots, stronger mark than most credit him for and looks to have the ability to read the game like a more seasoned player.Whilst his set shots were sometimes wonky, Granty was always an elite field kick. I remember a stat from the 97 season that staggered me. Grant had the most effective short kicks in the comp, which was remarkable for a KPF. Jones has a way to go here but has many other wonderful attributes. We've got a serious talent on our hands.

G-Mo77
12-02-2012, 09:02 PM
This coming from the person who demanded he should be dropped for so many weeks last season. I'm surprised. :)

Remi Moses
13-02-2012, 04:41 AM
Agree Liam has the potential to be a star.
I just hope we don't get a situation where we get 2 or 3 players dropping back on Liam.
We need multiple options

Dry Rot
13-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Agree Liam has the potential to be a star.
I just hope we don't get a situation where we get 2 or 3 players dropping back on Liam.
We need multiple options

Agreed. We need one or two more tall viable targets forward.

stefoid
13-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I think Jones has better hands than Grant, and of course being 4cm taller dosnt hurt either

Mofra
13-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Dont know about that Gia certainly wanted it.
Gia primarily won the ball through smarts - Jones made the midfield kick it to him.

bornadog
13-02-2012, 01:58 PM
This coming from the person who demanded he should be dropped for so many weeks last season. I'm surprised. :)

If he plays like he did in those games I mentioned last year, I will be calling for him to be dropped again. Must have our best team in every week if we want to be a top four team.

Desipura
13-02-2012, 05:59 PM
If he plays like he did in those games I mentioned last year, I will be calling for him to be dropped again. Must have our best team in every week if we want to be a top four team.
Short term pain, long term gain.

always right
13-02-2012, 06:13 PM

Nice try....but not convincing:)

G-Mo77
14-02-2012, 06:17 AM

Yep, giving him extra games when he was apparently down last year has probably helped. He'll hit hurdles again this year and we just have to persist with him.

bornadog
14-02-2012, 03:53 PM

Depends how many in a row;)

Raw Toast
15-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Whilst his set shots were sometimes wonky, Granty was always an elite field kick. I remember a stat from the 97 season that staggered me. Grant had the most effective short kicks in the comp, which was remarkable for a KPF. Jones has a way to go here but has many other wonderful attributes. We've got a serious talent on our hands.

While I'm yet to be convinced about the Grant/Jones comparison, I think Jones actually shows considerable promise as a field kick - I'm not sure he will be elite, but he's got lots of vision and skill in this area, and the discrepancy between his field kicking and set shots did remind me of the great man. Grant was also very good on his left.

Thinking about it a bit more, like Grant, Jones has excellent hands once the ball hits the deck, and of course his hands are very good, maybe better. But one of the things that stood out about Grant right from the start was his ability to read the play, which is also what made him such a brilliant CHB. I'm not sure Jones excels at this (at least to the same extent). I'm still excited by him, but he's not currently projecting to be a dual Brownlow medal winner (which is how I often consider the great man!).

Ozza
21-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Good post RT. Would be good if 'The Great Man' - could stay close to Jones, and push him along with some pointers from time to time.

I'm very excited about Jones' potential. He is what I'm looking forward to the most about this season.

LostDoggy
21-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Sorry for this detour of a post, but all this talk about (Chris) Grant's field kicking reminds me of the hype around Buddy now and how he can supposedly now 'go into the midfield, or drop back into the backline or go forward to kick goals', solve problems everywhere, and how that makes him a 'once in a lifetime player'.

Chris Grant was the best field kick in the league when he was playing in the middle. Not "for a forward", or "for a tall player", THE BEST field kick in the league. Up forward, he was easily in the top 2 CHFs (with Carey) in the game at the time, and there was no more complete or courageous CHB when he slotted back (better kick than Jakovic, better marking and game sense than Silvagni or Fletcher).

Once in a lifetime my arse -- if Granty played for, say, Essendon he would have won 5 Norm Smiths and 3 Brownlows and be mentioned as the greatest player of his generation, ahead of the media darling trinity of Voss, Hird, and Buckley.

KT31
21-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Sorry for this detour of a post, but all this talk about (Chris) Grant's field kicking reminds me of the hype around Buddy now and how he can supposedly now 'go into the midfield, or drop back into the backline or go forward to kick goals', solve problems everywhere, and how that makes him a 'once in a lifetime player'.

Chris Grant was the best field kick in the league when he was playing in the middle. Not "for a forward", or "for a tall player", THE BEST field kick in the league. Up forward, he was easily in the top 2 CHFs (with Carey) in the game at the time, and there was no more complete or courageous CHB when he slotted back (better kick than Jakovic, better marking and game sense than Silvagni or Fletcher).

Once in a lifetime my arse -- if Granty played for, say, Essendon he would have won 5 Norm Smiths and 3 Brownlows and be mentioned as the greatest player of his generation, ahead of the media darling trinity of Voss, Hird, and Buckley.

^^^^^^^
This with bells.

Dancin' Douggy
21-02-2012, 08:32 PM

And how many Anzac day medals would he have won as well.
Makes me sick when they're included in a players 'achievements'.

immortalmike
21-02-2012, 09:27 PM

The sad thing is that though this is all very, very true. He is often overlooked in favour of a decent player with a big heart like Archer. It's funny who the media decide to cannonize and who they ignore.

westdog54
24-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Among the great dissapointments of this year has been Jones's wretched form through the season. He hasn't been helped by the delivery he's getting but he also hasn't helped himself either, running under the ball with alarming consistency.

I'm not quite ready to write this year off as anything other than an abberation, but its very, very concerning.

G-Mo77
24-07-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm not concerned at all. He's a young kid who is still learning.

LostDoggy
24-07-2012, 09:47 AM
He won't prosper at our club if things remain the same.

Desipura
24-07-2012, 09:57 AM
He needs another big man FORWARD to support him, not a Ruckman playing forward.

G-Mo77
24-07-2012, 10:13 AM
He needs another big man FORWARD to support him, not a Ruckman playing forward.

Very true. That would lessen the load and release a bit of pressure. Williams at CHF and Grant in the team may help in that regard although they may move Tommy back this week for the diver.

bornadog
24-07-2012, 10:16 AM
I still think he will be a star, he is young, he has the right attitude, he trains hard and when he is dropped he tries even harder.

Has a lot to learn and time is on his side.

Desipura
24-07-2012, 10:20 AM
I still think he will be a star, he is young, he has the right attitude, he trains hard and when he is dropped he tries even harder.

Definately agree he has time on his side and has a very good attitiude, he will come good.

SlimPickens
24-07-2012, 11:02 AM

Agree would like to see him back in the team this week with Williams the other big man up forward.

Maddog37
24-07-2012, 11:15 AM
I can't wait till Jones and Cordy get a few more preseasons under their belts. I reckon they will be very good players at a minimum.

Dancin' Douggy
24-07-2012, 11:22 AM
My main concern with him is his kicking for goal.
It's the elephant in the room.
Same with Grant.
They both have awful techniques.

Hope we can train it out of them but it's seems to be the one thing that can't be 'untaught'.

Greystache
24-07-2012, 11:26 AM

Agree. I don't have any concerns that he'll get there and end up being a very good key forward.

This year has been a disappointing one for him, but he's shown ability at AFL level before, and when dropped to the VFL he dominates. Not many 21 year old key forwards can dominate at VFL level, especially when they've been down on confidence.

I'd like to see him back this week and play out the season regardless of form, so long as the effort is there.

Maddog37
24-07-2012, 11:57 AM
I can still see him as a CHB at some stage....

BulldogBelle
24-07-2012, 12:00 PM
I can still see him as a CHB at some stage....

Would be interesting to see both Jones and Williams rotate at CHF this week

Maddog37
24-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Would be a good education for Jones to follow Revolting around for a while.

1eyedog
24-07-2012, 12:13 PM
My main concern with him is his kicking for goal.
It's the elephant in the room.
Same with Grant.
They both have awful techniques.

Hope we can train it out of them but it's seems to be the one thing that can't be 'untaught'.

They will never train it out of him. If they give him a new technique it may go even worse, having to learn to walk again. They need to make the best of his natural technique and work out ways he can be effwective in front of the goals using it.

Dry Rot
24-07-2012, 12:22 PM
I can't wait till Jones and Cordy get a few more preseasons under their belts. I reckon they will be very good players at a minimum.

Why?

I have serious doubts about both, certainly as forwards.

Maddog37
24-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Why?

Gut feel mostly. It is hard to quantify my reasons to be honest.

They both have good attitudes also.

bornadog
24-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Why?

DR they are both young talls who take awhile to develop. Both have shown potential and we must have patience with them. Time will tell.

Bulldog4life
24-07-2012, 12:46 PM

I would hope all our players try equally as hard whether they are playing for the Bulldogs or dropped to Williamstown.

Dry Rot
24-07-2012, 12:54 PM
DR they are both young talls who take awhile to develop. Both have shown potential and we must have patience with them. Time will tell.

Do you think either really looks like a natural forward?

Neither appear to have forward's instincts to me - doesn't mean that they won't find a place as a CHB and a mobile ruck.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-07-2012, 01:02 PM
My concern is that I don't think he's a smart footballer; certain instincts don't come naturally to him, such as deft handballs to avoid intercepting hands. Moreover, he hasn't yet improved his ability to read the flight of the ball. He often runs underneath them, and whilst this can be sometimes attributed to ordinary field kicks coming from his team mates, there's no doubt he makes a real meal of some.

Other than that, I'm not worried. He'll be a good player with support & better delivery, but I hope he improves on the above -- especially reading the flight of the ball, since he's such a terrific mark.

Eastdog
24-07-2012, 01:06 PM
My concern is that I don't think he's a smart footballer; certain instincts don't come naturally to him, such as deft handballs to avoid intercepting hands. Moreover, he hasn't yet improved his ability to read the flight of the ball. He often runs underneath them, and whilst this can be sometimes attributed to ordinary field kicks coming from his team mates, there's no doubt he makes a real meal of some.

Other than that, I'm not worried. He'll be a good player with support & better delivery, but I hope he improves on the above -- especially reading the flight of the ball, since he's such a terrific mark.

He is a very good contested mark as we all know and I feel if he can improve the other parts of his game (kicking at goal etc) then he will be a good player.

Scraggers
24-07-2012, 03:20 PM
He won't prosper at our club if things remain the same.

Agree Chops ... Playing the kids is all well and good, but all we are "teaching" them is how to roll over and lose.

kruder
24-07-2012, 08:59 PM
He is a very good contested mark as we all know and I feel if he can improve the other parts of his game (kicking at goal etc) then he will be a good player.

Easier said than done. I just dont see enough elite qualities in Jones for him to become even a good player on the forward line. He will never be a star that I'm certain..

Throughandthrough
24-07-2012, 09:18 PM
His pack/contested marking is of an elite level. I'd think that would be rarer then someone who is a good kick. I'd play him every match for the rest of this season, and every match next season.

He'll be fine.......

mighty_west
24-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Like a few others, I'd like to see him spend time at CHB, think it would just help his confidence and further his development, one of his issues seems to continually run underneath the ball and mis judge, release him down back, give him the job of playing on a player, he can read the play quite well, hopefully grow enough confidence by gradually running off his opponents.

The Tom Williams experiment up forward seems to be working thus far, so why not!

LostDoggy
26-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Is it a bit contradictory to say that he is a wonderful contested mark but continually misjudges the ball in flight? By definition you can't be a great overhead mark if you can't read it in the air. I think its just that he's not strong enough to hold his position so is continually pushed under the ball. That's why I'm keen for him to go back because he won't have a stopper on him giving free reign to go at the ball on his terms and also his lack of goal sense is less of an issue.

Ghost Dog
26-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Is it a bit contradictory to say that he is a wonderful contested mark but continually misjudges the ball in flight? By definition you can't be a great overhead mark if you can't read it in the air. I think its just that he's not strong enough to hold his position so is continually pushed under the ball. That's why I'm keen for him to go back because he won't have a stopper on him giving free reign to go at the ball on his terms and also his lack of goal sense is less of an issue.

At times he is too keen. He really wants to succeed and sometimes attacks the ball when he should put a bit of body on his player or hang back a bit.
He's yet to learn the 'feint' properly or other steps to throw the defender off balance before he goes for the ball. You need a bit more confidence to do this and years of wrestling with blokes. see Lake or Hall.
Or Gia. Lead into the corridor then slow right up and take off to the fat side. Or lead, slow up and go right back to the goal square. Reminds me of a school kid in his earnestness to get to the contest but just needs that extra year or two of composure, that extra technique to give him a bit of space, the extra strength to grab the mark.
He's a winner I reckon and if uninjured, will be every bit as loved as Griff or Coons in years to come, as the thread suggests.

bulldogsman
26-07-2012, 11:55 AM

I don't remember him misjudging the flight of the ball much last year, I'm not sure what the problem is this year. Perhaps it's a combination of confidence, his body size and getting a better defender that can push him under the ball. I still have confidence he can be a good player, he showed us what he can do last year.

I'd like him to play as the 2nd ruck or at CHB for the rest of the year.

DragzLS1
26-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Liam's biggest flaw is actually his fitness imo.. He starts off reasonable and gets to a few balls and usually kicks his goals in the 1st and 2nd quarters of games.. He needs to get fitter and continue his running to space ect more consistantly (think rewoildt).

Great mark, very shonky kick but needs to get to teh space and time it before anything else can improve

bornadog
12-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Big Bump, hopefully 2013 he becomes a regular contributor in the 22.

7m4HHpZofwg

DOG GOD
12-02-2013, 12:31 PM
His ball drop and kick for goal looks more laid back or is it just me..it just looks a little ironed out from last year and more controlled. We need him to make CHF his position this year.

Cyberdoggie
12-02-2013, 12:40 PM
His ball drop and kick for goal looks more laid back or is it just me..it just looks a little ironed out from last year and more controlled. We need him to make CHF his position this year.

It certainly looks better with his arms extended out further, rather than the early hand release and closer to body drop of previous years. Also has a nice follow through with his leg, might give him more penetration.

Some really positive signs including a pack mark. I'm keen to see his improvement friday night.

craigsahibee
12-02-2013, 12:49 PM

His first kick for goal was purposeful and had a lot of momentum going through the contact with the ball. Good signs

DragzLS1
12-02-2013, 01:12 PM
His first kick for goal was purposeful and had a lot of momentum going through the contact with the ball. Good signs

My thoughts exactly! Looked more relaxed aswell when taking the shot. Once again early goals in the game but heard he dominated pretty much for most of it even though he didn't kick too many. Looks like he is turning out to be that chf we need but will need 1 more season before he lifts to that top level.. Looking good soo far ;)

The Bulldogs Bite
12-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Impressive, his action looks country miles better than it's ever been. Looks pretty fit too.

Remi Moses
12-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Looks like he's trimmed down as well.

F'scary
12-02-2013, 05:43 PM
If he can clunk them and sunk them like that every week we will finish in the 8.

bornadog
12-02-2013, 05:46 PM
If he can clunk them and sunk them like that every week we will finish in the 8.

Got to get it to him first.;)

F'scary
12-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Got to get it to him first.;)

Enough with the trifling objections! :)

bornadog
12-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Enough with the trifling objections! :)

I have a feeling Jones will have a good year.

F'scary
12-02-2013, 06:12 PM
I have a feeling Jones will have a good year.

It's all in his head. Whether or not he believes he should be out there playing CHF in the AFL. It's up to him. He has the talent. He has the size. He has the strength.

bornadog
12-02-2013, 06:23 PM
It's all in his head. Whether or not he believes he should be out there playing CHF in the AFL. It's up to him. He has the talent. He has the size. He has the strength.

but still not the Maturity. That will come with age over the next few years.

Greystache
12-02-2013, 08:01 PM
but still not the Maturity. That will come with age over the next few years.

He'll be 22 this which is probably about the age where a good young key forward starts to emerge. If he can have a break out year he'll be tracking well to be an elite player by that 25 year old range.

w3design
12-02-2013, 10:39 PM
He'll be 22 this which is probably about the age where a good young key forward starts to emerge. If he can have a break out year he'll be tracking well to be an elite player by that 25 year old range.

"Starts" being the key word here.;)

The Bulldogs Bite
12-02-2013, 10:42 PM

I think he can become a good player, but I am not sure about elite unless he dramatically improves his ability to read the play (very difficult), his endurance (possible) and his ability to convert under pressure (possible but difficult).

Added to this, he really needs a good partner down there, as anyone does. I am not convinced on Cordy, but Stringer (that's what he's earmarked for?) could be a great foil.

Greystache
12-02-2013, 10:52 PM
I think he can become a good player, but I am not sure about elite unless he dramatically improves his ability to read the play (very difficult), his endurance (possible) and his ability to convert under pressure (possible but difficult).

Added to this, he really needs a good partner down there, as anyone does. I am not convinced on Cordy, but Stringer (that's what he's earmarked for?) could be a great foil.

Elite is a relative term I guess. There's only a handful of decent key forwards in the league at any one time so I'd consider them elite, I think Jones can become one of those. Stringer was recruited and is ear marked as a full forward which would compliment Jones as a CHF.

jeemak
12-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Elite is a relative term I guess. There's only a handful of decent key forwards in the league at any one time so I'd consider them elite, I think Jones can become one of those. Stringer was recruited and is ear marked as a full forward which would compliment Jones as a CHF.

I tend to agree with the statement that being elite is relative to your competition. There's never been a more difficult time to be a key forward, so to expect the performances of forwards from past times to be replicated is probably a stretch and all forwards should be judged on their merits for the period in which they play.

Having said that, from what I've seen I'm not convinced Jones has the attributes to be elite relative to other key position players in all areas of the game, though in some (such as contested marking) he probably does. As TBB states there are some glaring weaknesses in his game that need improvement, and hopefully with greater maturity they are areas in which he can tighten up and become more consistent.

It's the time of year to be optimistic, though right now the key for me with Jones' 2013 season is increased workrate and an ability to contribute across four quarters while eliminating errors. Agree with 'stache that he's the perfect age to start putting his hand up as a noticeable player, though he'll only do that with resillience after a less than acceptable performance and a continued work rate.

Ghost Dog
12-02-2013, 11:26 PM
has learned to kick a ball by all accounts!.

Mofra
13-02-2013, 10:03 AM
A good player is a probably win for us - it's been years since we've developed a "good" KPF.

He lost his first year with us to school footy and is still very young in KPP terms, his attitude seems a lot more positive this year. Something mentally seems to have clicked.

LostDoggy
14-02-2013, 12:19 AM

Dickson will be a decent foil for jones also..he just naturally knows where to run. We really need the stringer experiment to work out though. I think everyone knows Jones has what it takes...but sometimes i think supporters expect too much too soon.

jeemak
14-02-2013, 01:06 AM
Dickson will be a decent foil for jones also..he just naturally knows where to run. We really need the stringer experiment to work out though. I think everyone knows Jones has what it takes...but sometimes i think supporters expect too much too soon.

Surely Stringer isn't an experiment! He's one of the very most talented players from the draft.

F'scary
14-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Surely Stringer isn't an experiment! He's one of the very most talented players from the draft.

If I recall correctly, Emma Quayle of the Age basically said he would have been the number 1 pick if he hadn't broken his leg.

LostDoggy
14-02-2013, 11:59 PM

Obviously not an experiment in the Skinner sense, and poor choice of words perhaps, but there are no guarantees. And considering the frustration many feel with the development of our young forwards to date (grant etc) , not a totally inappropriate term at this point I wouldn't have thought. He hasn't played a game yet.
A lot rides on this pick coming good for us.

jeemak
15-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Obviously not an experiment in the Skinner sense, and poor choice of words perhaps, but there are no guarantees. And considering the frustration many feel with the development of our young forwards to date (grant etc) , not a totally inappropriate term at this point I wouldn't have thought. He hasn't played a game yet.
A lot rides on this pick coming good for us.

Fair enough.

Though Tim Walsh was a reach for a high first round pick as he was seen as the best tall in the draft, but by no means in the top bracket for talent. Stringer, injury (as significant as it was) aside is sublimely talented, to the point where he's considered top end in that regard.

Grant was a reach, but I don't know how many forwards of his stature that we've had kick 30 goals in their third season of football, after a first season completely hampered by injury. Once again he's extremely talented, and hopefully with a decent mix of forwards much like we had in 2010 he can contribute consistently and produce.

I don't feel a great deal of frustration with Cordy and Jones, who are the other two most likely forwards to be seen as critical to our development. Cordy had two years of injury battles since 2008, and is about to embark on the first of a three year deal, which says to me the club views him as a long term prospect. Jones has had a blip in his development that I can't produce a lot of heart burn over. He was in the top five or six for contested marks in 2011 for a reason. We'll see how they both go in 2014 and 2015.

All of the above will be helped significantly by quicker and cleaner ball movement. Hopefully we show a bit of that this year, to give them all the best chance to develop.

Mofra
15-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Grant was a reach, but I don't know how many forwards of his stature that we've had kick 30 goals in their third season of football, after a first season completely hampered by injury. Once again he's extremely talented, and hopefully with a decent mix of forwards much like we had in 2010 he can contribute consistently and produce.
Had we had one pick earlier, we would have had Cale Morton who was an absolute gun junior - will be interesting to see how he goes under the Weagles program.

Remi Moses
15-02-2013, 11:39 AM
If he regains any fitness and stays injury free stringer will be a very good footballer.

westdog54
15-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Bumpety bump bump bump

bornadog
15-04-2013, 09:53 PM
I have heard Mooney talk about Jones a few times and of course its all positive. He has said he will take time but has the ability and mental application to succeed

Dancin' Douggy
15-04-2013, 10:39 PM
His kicking action looked so much more convincing on Saturday. He must have been working hard on it.
For me, that's always been his biggest problem. Set shots.

If he can keep kicking like he did on Saturday he'll be a real asset.

MrMahatma
15-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Seemed to run and chase a bit more this weekend.

Prob the only positive out of the game.

westdog54
16-04-2013, 08:57 AM
Seemed to run and chase a bit more this weekend.

Prob the only positive out of the game.

This.

Garry Lyon has caned him in the past for his 2nd efforts.

Well, he produced them in spades on Sunday.

bornadog
16-04-2013, 10:00 AM
This.

Garry Lyon has caned him in the past for his 2nd efforts.

Well, he produced them in spades on Sunday.

Mooney has been working with him on those second efforts. I heard him interviewed after the game on 774 and he was pretty stuffed from all the running and chasing he did.

bornadog
16-04-2013, 06:19 PM
UzjEayVCTmA

chef
16-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks BAD.

Been a while since we've had a young KPF this exciting.

bornadog
16-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks BAD.

Assessment from Development Coach:

foI7rzaHw9I

The Bulldogs Bite
16-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Hopefully this can be a turning point for Jones. He won't kick 4 every week, but if he can stay involved through creating a contest and providing defensive pressure, then eventually goals will come.

I'm excited about seeing Stringer come into the side for a couple of reasons, and one of them is the hopeful effect it'll have on Jones. I think in future years, it's really going to help Liam.

At the moment, Jones is having to do a lot of the work by himself/take the best defender etc.

Mofra
17-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Hopefully this can be a turning point for Jones. He won't kick 4 every week, but if he can stay involved through creating a contest and providing defensive pressure, then eventually goals will come.
Finger crossed - he's worked hard on the defensive side of his game & his kicking, and a game where at one point he had 4 goals from a team total of 24 inside 50s should give him plenty of confidence that he's on the right track (and that the coaching staff are 100% spot on).

Still a baby in KPP terms but by god it feels good to actually have one we've developed ourselves (no disrespect to Morgan, Rawlings, Hall, Welsh, etc)

bornadog
17-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Finger crossed - he's worked hard on the defensive side of his game & his kicking, and a game where at one point he had 4 goals from a team total of 24 inside 50s should give him plenty of confidence that he's on the right track (and that the coaching staff are 100% spot on).

Still a baby in KPP terms but by god it feels good to actually have one we've developed ourselves (no disrespect to Morgan, Rawlings, Hall, Welsh, etc)

And one at the other end

Maddog37
17-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Hate to be scurrilous but gees Ash Hansen looks like Bmacs offspring! :eek:

LostDoggy
17-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Thanks BAD.

This makes me sad:(
4 goals a couple of marks. Most were by himself, none were air contested. 1 blindside tackle. This should be a bog stock game for any main forward, definitely not something we could label someone exciting over?
I am extremely happy Jones finally pulled his finger out and I pat him on the back for his effort last game, but I would have hoped 2 years ago that by now he'd be having 8-10 games like this per season.

always right
17-04-2013, 03:44 PM
This makes me sad:(
4 goals a couple of marks. Most were by himself, none were air contested. 1 blindside tackle. This should be a bog stock game for any main forward, definitely not something we could label someone exciting over?
I am extremely happy Jones finally pulled his finger out and I pat him on the back for his effort last game, but I would have hoped 2 years ago that by now he'd be having 8-10 games like this per season.

8-10 per season eh? He's played one of these in the first three rounds so at this rate he's on track to satisfy your expectation:)

LostDoggy
17-04-2013, 03:47 PM
8-10 per season eh? He's played one of these in the first three rounds so at this rate he's on track to satisfy your expectation:)

He is on track to satisfy my hope. I'm not even sure anymore what my expectation is.

Maddog37
17-04-2013, 05:32 PM
He is improving all the time so that is good.

He is powerful, quick and athletic. If he continues to work on his kicking and game involvement then he will be very exciting I reckon.

ratsmac
17-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Definitely encouraging signs from Liam. I sort of agree with HairyMidget, in the way some of those goals came. I would love to see him on leads where he has burnt off his defender with leg speed (which he has plenty) and footy smarts by leading into holes, ducking back and that sort of stuff.

I think our forward line is often too stagnant when opposition teams do a heavy press in our forward 50. You see the good teams leading and dragging defenders with them, to create holes for other players to lead into. We always bomb the ball to the top of the square and hope for a low percentage mark or a crumbing goal in this situation. Predictable and very hard for Liam Jones to have to try take pack marks all the time.

We a still a young team I know, but it still annoys me when our more senior players put it on top of Liam's head instead of out in front of him. Poor Liam is often criticized for running under the flight of the ball. The delivery is more often at fault imo. Do our midfielders not know how quick he can be or something?

Anyway, it was great to see Liam bag a few, and to lay some tackles in our f50. I hope he gained some valuable confidence and continues his good form.

westdog54
17-04-2013, 09:42 PM
The other great thing about Liam is that he draws in multiple defenders when he flies for a mark inside 50 giving our crumbing forwards an opening if they're good enough. A forward line containing Jones, Dahlhaus, Stringer and Grant has the potential to create massive headaches down the track.

westdog54
28-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Hooray! I've found another thread to sing Liam's praises!

He really blew me away last night. Attack on the ball was exceptional, wasn't led under it once, took marks that he seemingly had no right to take, and, most importantly, took on the responsibility to kick the goal and did it well.

Was actually really proud of him. He's putting last season behind him.

westdog54
28-04-2013, 08:49 AM
UzjEayVCTmA

Watching this again, I still don't know what the hell Houli was trying to do. It didn't even seem like a mis-kick and yet it went straight down Liam's throat.

Ghost Dog
28-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Watching this again, I still don't know what the hell Houli was trying to do. It didn't even seem like a mis-kick and yet it went straight down Liam's throat.

His leg was probably tired from racking up stats all night :D

westdog54
28-04-2013, 10:24 AM
His leg was probably tired from racking up stats all night :D

Possibly.

Was laughing my head off for a good minute after that. Even the Tigers supporter next to me (was actually remarkably level headed for a Tigers fan) had a bit of a chuckle.

Mofra
28-04-2013, 11:20 AM
The other great thing about Liam is that he draws in multiple defenders when he flies for a mark inside 50 giving our crumbing forwards an opening if they're good enough.
Very noticeable last night - some of his best work he doesn't get a stat for. Laid a few big bumps too, starting to offer real physical presence to accompany his marking/tackling.

bornadog
28-04-2013, 12:21 PM
9DE_zFtCPcs

Eastdog
28-04-2013, 12:26 PM
9DE_zFtCPcs

Great grab. There was another he took which was very good too.

westdog54
28-04-2013, 12:27 PM
9DE_zFtCPcs

Shame he dropped it cold but was still great to watch.

always right
28-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Shame he dropped it cold but was still great to watch.

Reminiscent of Templeton's mark when he kicked his 15th goal. Umpires seemed mesmerised:)

bornadog
28-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Reminiscent of Templeton's mark when he kicked his 15th goal. Umpires seemed mesmerised:)

We wish he was half as good:)

ratsmac
28-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Cordy has missed 2 games this season and both times Jones has kicked 4. I think the Ayce has been cramping his style!

bornadog
28-04-2013, 12:40 PM
Cordy has missed 2 games this season and both times Jones has kicked 4. I think the Ayce has been cramping his style!

I thought that after the Richmond game. I think we need one to be a FF and the other to play further up the ground.

lemmon
28-04-2013, 02:06 PM
I thought that after the Richmond game. I think we need one to be a FF and the other to play further up the ground.

Agree with that, definitely think Jones looked better when he was able to work Lonergan over and hit up at the ball carrier. He was Nick Riewoldt-esque last night, was the classical centre half forwards game, hit up to the flanks and work back towards goal rather than call for the ball on your head with 2 opponents on you, the spring in his legs is amazing. I still think there's a role for Ayce in the team, at full forward and chopping out in the ruck while Rough goes back down to full back. A three pronged Jones, Ayce and Stringer could be dangerous, all bring something different

Greystache
28-04-2013, 03:00 PM

Jones and Stringer certainly seemed compliment each other better, one would push up while the other dropped back and vice versa. Both being a threat on the lead and in the air made things harder for the defenders too.

bornadog
02-05-2013, 06:46 PM
Jones evolving forward (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-05-02/jones-evolving-forward)

The maturation of Liam Jones as a player and person is beginning to pay dividends on the field, as he continues to grow in confidence and ability, Western Bulldogs’ Senior Coach Brendan McCartney said.

After making progressive steps over the past 18 months, Jones is beginning to take ownership over his key forward role, kicking a personal best four goals on two occasions already this season.

“We’ve been confident for a long time about Liam coming along… externally people are now taking more notice but we have been seeing small steps for about 18 months,” McCartney said.

“He is materialising it well now.”

Surrounding Jones with two experienced heads in Assistant Coach Shannon Grant and Specialist Coach Cameron Mooney this pre-season has also helped the young forward begin to deliver on his potential.

“I think Shannon Grant has done a lot of good work with him as well, who was a great AFL forward and understands forward craft – Liam’s maturity as well,” he said.

“[He’s had a] big Summer, bit of confidence… growing into his body and growing into his person, I think that he’s managing the demands of AFL footy a lot better.”

The 22-year-old has already equalled his goal tally of nine from last year and is on track to overtake his career best 19 goal return from season 2011.

While his ability to hit the scoreboard has been an improvement on previous seasons, it is also his increased workrate and defensive efforts that have seen him make an impact at senior level.

“It’s been a big step but it’s round five, we need him to keep playing like that every week,” he said.

“He had two games where he got one goal and he was very effective for us round one, he didn’t have a great day in Adelaide – but not many of our forwards did.

“That’s also an evolutionary thing over time, he is still only 40 games into his career, that’s the expectation, he’s aware of it [and] that is what we coach him on – we’re confident.”

McCartney said the continued development of the Bulldogs’ inexperienced lineup as a whole would also assist in Jones’ improvement – providing him with increased support and better delivery into the forward line.

“Every forward lives and breathes off good supply and having good coverage on the ground below them so the ball stays in the area,” he said.

azabob
02-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Good article - thanks for posting BAD.

Also positive feedback about Shannon Grant. There was a lot of questions asked is Grant a good role model and coach for our young guys.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-05-2013, 12:48 PM
That mark is very telling in that Stringer kicked it to his mate and landed it where he could use his leap. No doubt they are both looking out for each other and I see Stringer as the senior partner who can lift Jones to great heights.

bornadog
14-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Has Jones finally arrived?

azabob
14-04-2014, 02:18 PM

I don't think so, he has played two good games in a row. This thread has examples where he has played a few good games and the same question is asked.

bornadog
14-04-2014, 02:22 PM
I don't think so, he has played two good games in a row. This thread has examples where he has played a few good games and the same question is asked.

I think he playing a different style this year so far. He has been very good the last two weeks and contributing to goals as well as kicking them. His second efforts have been very good as well.

Mofra
14-04-2014, 02:38 PM
I think he playing a different style this year so far.
He's bumping a lot more, using his size - we haven't seen it anywhere near enough in previous years.
Seems he's finally discovered that a 100kg+ player can impact a contest without gaining stats.

LostDoggy
14-04-2014, 02:43 PM
I think this time is different because he's been good when it mattered. Big contested marks and clutch goals when the game is red hot. He's kicked multiple goals before but I don't think I've seen him contribute this well in pressure situations before.

strebla
14-04-2014, 02:44 PM
I really think you are all under valuing his game against Norf. His work rate was enormous he had nothing left in the last but still chased even though he could lift his legs that's a huge tick for me. Once this guy gets his tank and I think he is getting there he will be the one to leaed from CHF I have no doubt.

Remi Moses
14-04-2014, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't discount Crameri's arrival either.
No doubt his work rate needed to improve, and some tough early season love from the coach.

always right
14-04-2014, 03:18 PM
The most pleasing thing the last few weeks has been his repeat efforts. There was a passage of play in the last quarter Saturday when he competed strongly for the ball on the wing, then ran forward before he turned and successfully presented again on the lead. Last year he would have ben stuffed after the initial contest.

I also think he has learned that he doesn't have to jump on opponents' backs every time he wants to mark the ball. The mark he took before slotting his final goal on Saturday was entirely due to smart body positioning and using his full reach. The fact that he is finishing his work suggests he is playing with greater confidence. Encouraging signs.

Ozza
14-04-2014, 03:28 PM
He is starting to stay involved more, and getting some easy marks (not just all contested) on the lead - which he was sorely missing previously.

I think he is starting to 'get it'. 50+ games in now - I think his next 50 should be pretty good overall - and it is helping him, that his team are kicking the ball a bit better to him now, than they were at this time last year.

lemmon
14-04-2014, 03:34 PM
He's starting to get there playing the hardest role in the ground in what has been a tough year for key forwards. Not willing to say he'll make it yet though, didn't he kick four in consecutive weeks early last year?

Mofra
14-04-2014, 05:41 PM
The pleasing thing is he's kicked 7 goals straight - no behinds yet. Kicking definately has improved.

Dare I note he has kicked the same number of goals as Buddy Franklin, from one less game and substantially less coin? ;)

GVGjr
14-04-2014, 11:47 PM

Another good question, I suspect that it will be a bumpy ride and I'm hoping like hell he is ready to become a consistent footballer.
If he is prepared to maintain a high work rate his natural talent should help him no end. If he doesn't give close to 100% each week then he will struggle often.

Too early too call though but a good 4 or 5 week patch might have me changing my opinion.

LostDoggy
15-04-2014, 01:24 AM
I like the synergy that he and Crameri are building. Jones was very good in 2011 considering his age helped by having Barry aside him obviously. He Struggled in 2012 but improved in 2013 and looks to have improved again. Come on Jonsey!

Maddog37
15-04-2014, 09:10 AM
I saw him yesterday at the kids day. He simply looks like he has matured. Looks more confident and less fidgety. Looks like he belongs.

Jake Stringer on the other hand looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. Also does a very passable impression of a homeless person.

SlimPickens
15-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Jake Stringer on the other hand looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. Also does a very passable impression of a homeless person.

His 19 years old trying to play key position at AFL level and has a baby on the way....probably feels like he does also.

Maddog37
15-04-2014, 02:56 PM
His 19 years old trying to play key position at AFL level and has a baby on the way....probably feels like he does also.

Good point. It's not all beer and skittles for these boys.

Greystache
15-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Good point. It's not all beer and skittles for these boys.

Perhaps producing a child as a teenager who's also trying to find his feet in a new and demanding career wasn't the smartest idea either.

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Another good question, I suspect that it will be a bumpy ride and I'm hoping like hell he is ready to become a consistent footballer.
If he is prepared to maintain a high work rate his natural talent should help him no end. If he doesn't give close to 100% each week then he will struggle often.

Too early too call though but a good 4 or 5 week patch might have me changing my opinion.

It is fair to say that Jones has been a bit of a whipping boy in the past couple of years and without a lot of support has been the go to man up forward. The recruitment of Crameri and to a lesser extent Stringer, should make it easier for Liam .
There has been a lot to like with his improved efforts in our past two wins.

Dazza
15-04-2014, 09:26 PM
I just hope Jones reaches a point this season where his position in the side isn't questioned. Kind of like Roughead last year.

He has the talent for it.

Hotdog60
15-04-2014, 10:24 PM
The thing I like is that he has obviously been working hard on his kicking which was apparent late last year. He has a totally different approach to what he used to do.

LostDoggy
16-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Key game coming up. If he can kick 2-4, lead appropriately (not under the flight) and keep the work rate where it has been to date he will get elevated into my tagline :)

I'm more hopeful. I'm not yet convinced.

stefoid
17-04-2014, 12:35 PM
The thing I like is that he has obviously been working hard on his kicking which was apparent late last year. He has a totally different approach to what he used to do.

This is actually huge.

bornadog
15-06-2014, 07:14 PM
He has arrived - great game

bulldogtragic
15-06-2014, 07:20 PM
He has arrived - great game

A bit like Pavlov's Dogs, I hope this dog equates the song, screaming and happiness is connected to working hard like he did today. I couldn't be happier with his game.

LostDoggy
15-06-2014, 07:22 PM
His work rate today was fantastic, I reckon he's one more pre-season away from reaching his potential.

LostDoggy
15-06-2014, 07:27 PM
That chase will be played at the best and fairest. That had Footscray written all over it. The goals were nice, but he gets the most points for his defensive game today IMO.

westdog54
15-06-2014, 08:13 PM
That chase will be played at the best and fairest. That had Footscray written all over it. The goals were nice, but he gets the most points for his defensive game today IMO.
Which one? I think he won 3 holding the ball frees Fir the game. Epically good from a 196cm key forward.

F'scary
15-06-2014, 08:24 PM
I really like his goal kicking technique. He really goes for it straight and hard - to use an analogy, sort of like Miley Cyrus is on the bed in front of him.

lemmon
15-06-2014, 08:25 PM
We've seen these false dawns before when he'll string a few weeks together and fall of the face of the Earth. Must do it consistently now

Bumper Bulldogs
15-06-2014, 08:27 PM
The Jones boy played like he wanted to hurt someone today, a fantastic game and one of many to come we all hope. Seemed to work well with Cramers and Grant today well done guys!

LostDoggy
15-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Which one? I think he won 3 holding the ball frees Fir the game. Epically good from a 196cm key forward.

I think it was Clinton Young. Just absolute desperation and work ethic. He showed all the guts and determination he had in his body, and he damn sure inspired me.

chef
15-06-2014, 08:54 PM
He was epic. Winning me over.

G-Mo77
15-06-2014, 08:57 PM
I would have been devastated if we lost as a fan but I would have been more hurt for Jones who did miss a crucial goal late. If we lost that would have been the kind of thing that could crush the spirits of the young man. Well done to him today, he was terrific.

boydogs
15-06-2014, 09:01 PM
He played really well but it's partly a function of having a more complete set of talls in the forward line. We managed to get a mismatch with him on Tom Langdon at one stage with Crameri & Grant also dangerous. He has been unfairly lamented when being forced to play as the number one forward with little to no support, today showed what he can do in a better setup.

His kicking has come a long way and he had 4.2 today but he really needed to slot his 5th, that miss killed our momentum when it could have iced the game

azabob
15-06-2014, 09:47 PM
I think we forget how young he is. He is still eligible for "pup" votes.

craigsahibee
15-06-2014, 09:51 PM
The Jones boy played like he wanted to hurt someone today, a fantastic game and one of many to come we all hope. Seemed to work well with Cramers and Grant today well done guys!

This is what I have been waiting for. All we need now is Stringer up forward also then watch us go.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Faith restored.

I really had grave doubts but he was brilliant today. His defensive pressure was the best I've ever seen from any key forward - those tackles on Young were superb, a real highlight, and his goal kicking has significantly improved. Deserved 5 today - wish he nailed the last one.

He's not a number one target, but has the potential to be a very good second/third option.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2014, 10:09 PM
TBB^^^

I was about to post this on another thread: It's not just the KPP in and of itself, a Patton gets the best defender, then either Stew or Jones gets second or third which Stew excelled at at Essendon and the Jones today would kill them, then Grant gets a utility who he can out run, out mark and out skill. And our small H's can have another option of goal scoring (roving). So it's more than a we need a big body for the sake of it.

Hotdog60
15-06-2014, 10:46 PM
TBB^^^

I was about to post this on another thread: It's not just the KPP in and of itself, a Patton gets the best defender, then either Stew or Jones gets second or third which Stew excelled at at Essendon and the Jones today would kill them, then Grant gets a utility who he can out run, out mark and out skill. And our small H's can have another option of goal scoring (roving). So it's more than a we need a big body for the sake of it.

Should we be playing either Campbell, Cordy or Redpath at full forward to take that main defender?

bulldogtragic
15-06-2014, 10:52 PM
Should we be playing either Campbell, Cordy or Redpath at full forward to take that main defender?

It's not a bad idea, but if opposition teams think Ayce or Campbell aren't up to it it might not work nearly as well as they can play a smaller yet competent defender on them, which may or may not work. There's only one way to find out. But a bona fide KPP is a different kettle of fush.

The Underdog
15-06-2014, 10:58 PM
I think we forget how young he is. He is still eligible for "pup" votes.

Younger than Jack Redpath :)

LostDoggy
15-06-2014, 11:03 PM
The tackle on the Brazilian was a close shave.

Remi Moses
15-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Big test for Liam is now putting some consistent form together.
Not always in the goal column, but the effort and tackling aspect.

LostDoggy
16-06-2014, 12:19 AM
He was very good today. Well done Liam.

Twodogs
16-06-2014, 12:22 AM
It's not a bad idea, but if opposition teams think Ayce or Campbell aren't up to it it might not work nearly as well as they can play a smaller yet competent defender on them, which may or may not work. There's only one way to find out. But a bona fide KPP is a different kettle of fush.

I didn't know you were a NZer BT.

comrade
23-04-2017, 08:27 PM
So glad I didn't post in this thread way back.

bornadog
23-04-2017, 08:30 PM

My worst thread of all time. :D

Thank you for the reminder.:D:D

LostDoggy
23-04-2017, 08:36 PM

We can't always be right BAD ;)

bornadog
23-04-2017, 08:39 PM
We can't always be right BAD ;)

Looked good as a youngster then it all went down hill.

Remi Moses
23-04-2017, 08:49 PM
In fairness I think most observers were tantalised by jones' s potential .
He'll be playing suburban football this time next year

bulldogtragic
23-04-2017, 08:59 PM

To be fair, I watched his very first game playing Willy Reserves at Frankston. He looked like a new Carey. Little did I know, that's the only level he looks good at! As evidence by giving up 7 goals at Full Back last week, and 67 hit outs as a ruckman after they've lost any faith he can score as a forward.

The jokes on all of us. He'll make more money playing country footy than most on this forum will next year working for a living.

Any way, I never posted in this thread. Someone hacked my account. But the legacy is Caleb Daniel so everything turned out well enough for everyone. Everyone except Carlton. :D

Dry Rot
23-04-2017, 09:51 PM
Why?

My 2012 post about Jones and Ayce Cordy.

Knew Jones was rubbish years ago.

ledge
23-04-2017, 09:53 PM
Bornadog if it's any consolation I'm putting my reputation on the line with TIm English he will be a star make no mistake!

hujsh
23-04-2017, 10:25 PM
Bornadog if it's any consolation I'm putting my reputation on the line with TIm English he will be a star make no mistake!
Doesn't count if you don't make a thread with the declaration as the title so people remember it

westdog54
23-04-2017, 10:48 PM
To be fair, I watched his very first game playing Willy Reserves at Frankston. He looked like a new Carey. Little did I know, that's the only level he looks good at! As evidence by giving up 7 goals at Full Back last week, and 67 hit outs as a ruckman after they've lost any faith he can score as a forward.

The jokes on all of us. He'll make more money playing country footy than most on this forum will next year working for a living.

Any way, I never posted in this thread. Someone hacked my account. But the legacy is Caleb Daniel so everything turned out well enough for everyone. Everyone except Carlton. :D

I seem to recall the words "I had movement" used in that particular game review.

30000 posts, you're allowed one *!*!*!*!-up.

boydogs
23-04-2017, 11:01 PM
I seem to recall the words "I had movement" used in that particular game review.

I think you sung his praises after the 2014 VFL GF as well. We all thought he might be coming good and were sad to see him go, especially for a 3rd rounder

Twodogs
23-04-2017, 11:07 PM
I think you sung his praises after the 2014 VFL GF as well. We all thought he might be coming good and were sad to see him go, especially for a 3rd rounder

Furious. What were going to do with a third rounder for gods sake? There wasn't going to be anything decent left then.

We were losing a competitive beast!

bulldogtragic
23-04-2017, 11:13 PM

30000 posts, you're allowed one *!*!*!*!-up.

Furious. What were going to do with a third rounder for gods sake? There wasn't going to be anything decent left then.

We were losing a competitive beast!

Looked good as a youngster then it all went down hill.

He had just enough talent to tease & then frustrate most of us at one point or another. And $1,000,000 from Carlton!!

Suckers!! We might've got our hopes up as fans, but at least we never handed him a million. So we've got that going for us, which is nice.

Ozza
24-04-2017, 10:44 AM
He had just enough talent to tease & then frustrate most of us at one point or another. And $1,000,000 from Carlton!!

Suckers!! We might've got our hopes up as fans, but at least we never handed him a million. So we've got that going for us, which is nice.

BT I don't get the obsession with Jones' pay packet at Carlton? You bring it up once a week. If $1m over 3 years is accurate, then he is slightly above the average AFL wage.

comrade
24-04-2017, 11:47 AM
BT I don't get the obsession with Jones' pay packet at Carlton? You bring it up once a week. If $1m over 3 years is accurate, then he is slightly above the average AFL wage.

Being paid above average wages for way below average output...for 3 years. I think BT just finds it hilarious, especially given we picked up a very good player in exchange.

bulldogtragic
24-04-2017, 11:56 AM

Being paid above average wages for way below average output...for 3 years. I think BT just finds it hilarious, especially given we picked up a very good player in exchange.

My comrade nailed it exactly.

Twodogs
24-04-2017, 12:10 PM
It's the length of the contract too. Liam Jones logging up a list spot for 3 years is doing wonders for their rebuild.

bornadog
24-04-2017, 01:12 PM

Plus it was Carlton, the desperado club that expects to get a quick fix to make finals instead of developing their own young talent.

13 ex-GWS players and Liam Jones, Tutt say hello from the burbs. :D

LostDoggy
24-04-2017, 05:40 PM

Ditto Comrade.
Dodged a bullet here ;)

hujsh
24-04-2017, 05:50 PM
Plus it was Carlton, the desperado club that expects to get a quick fix to make finals instead of developing their own young talent.

13 ex-GWS players and Liam Jones, Tutt say hello from the burbs. :D

Nah mate, Palmer's going to be great. They even picked him in the prelim team and you've got to be good to get a game there. So what if we got him for a pick in the 60s and they then recruited players dropped by Freo, he'll come good.

Happy Days
27-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Nah mate, Palmer's going to be great. They even picked him in the prelim team and you've got to be good to get a game there. So what if we got him for a pick in the 60s and they then recruited players dropped by Freo, he'll come good.

Closer to a pick in the 160's.

To be fair he was (allegedly) only picked up as a consideration for the Giants not drafting Macreadie, and is probably only going to be picked in "break glass" type scenarios.

hujsh
27-04-2017, 06:48 PM
Closer to a pick in the 160's.

To be fair he was (allegedly) only picked up as a consideration for the Giants not drafting Macreadie, and is probably only going to be picked in "break glass" type scenarios.

Yeah that's the reality but I saw Blues and GWS people (a rare find indeed) talking up Palmer over the pre-season.

Twodogs
27-04-2017, 06:50 PM
You found a GWS support? It's probably a AFeL programmed bot with a few typical responses to different scenarios.

Bulldog Revolution
27-04-2017, 11:06 PM
Delete thread?

Happy Days
27-04-2017, 11:16 PM
Delete thread?

No way. If we retcon away our history we are doomed to repeat it. Or something.

Twodogs
27-04-2017, 11:20 PM
Yep. I'm worried that if we delete the thread that taking him back at the end of the year when Carlton delist him will suddenly seem like a good idea.

Remi Moses
28-04-2017, 10:24 AM
I think he's emergency for Carlton this week .
Getting closer

Twodogs
28-04-2017, 10:40 AM
I think he's emergency for Carlton this week .
Getting closer

Someone has to travel with the senior team just in case.

jeemak
28-04-2017, 02:24 PM
Nothing would make me happier than Jones finding some form and eking out another year or two.

Twodogs
28-04-2017, 04:52 PM
Nothing would make me happier than Jones finding some form and eking out another year or two.

Wouldn't it be great if he got into the team and kicked 5 or 6? Then had a purple patch and kicked 60 odd (they'd be very odd) goals for the rest of the year?

I don't think even that would fool Boulton or Silvagni but St Kilda would probably give up their first pick for him.

Greystache
28-04-2017, 05:37 PM
Wouldn't it be great if he got into the team and kicked 5 or 6? Then had a purple patch and kicked 60 odd (they'd be very odd) goals for the rest of the year?

I don't think even that would fool Boulton or Silvagni but St Kilda would probably give up their first pick for him.

If a Carlton player actually starting to play well would SOS trade him to GWS?

Greystache
28-04-2017, 05:37 PM

Kind of like a promotion/relegation system.

Twodogs
28-04-2017, 08:41 PM

Kind of like a promotion/relegation system.

He'd be the first Carlton player sent to work at Head Office in Sydney.

jazzadogs
29-07-2022, 04:28 PM
No way. If we retcon away our history we are doomed to repeat it. Or something.

Yep. I'm worried that if we delete the thread that taking him back at the end of the year when Carlton delist him will suddenly seem like a good idea.

Bump.

Enjoy the read, 3 more years of Jones related misery coming our way!

Happy Days
29-07-2022, 04:54 PM
This is a thread about Arthur Jones isn’t it?

azabob
29-07-2022, 05:06 PM
This is a thread about Arthur Jones isn’t it?

Nah, BAD doesn't rate him.

bornadog
30-07-2022, 01:50 AM
Nah, BAD doesn't rate him.

He is a long way off at this stage.

MrMahatma
30-07-2022, 08:46 AM
Given all the media around him, is he officially a “star”? And this this thread is correct!?

bornadog
04-10-2022, 01:52 PM
Welcome back Liam

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FeL-nqnagAAuPaC?format=jpg&name=large

bulldogtragic
04-10-2022, 02:06 PM
Reading it’s only $300,000 a season. That’s a pretty good result giving up only a spit on the list and $300,000. Relatively low risk/high reward potential.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-10-2022, 02:18 PM
Trivia time.

Who are some other players who have played at the club, left, and come back?

F'scary
04-10-2022, 02:20 PM
Trivia time.

Bevo came back as coach.

hujsh
04-10-2022, 02:20 PM
Trivia time.

Eddy Betts
Monty
Trent Croad
GAJ

F'scary
04-10-2022, 02:21 PM
Eddy Betts
Monty
Trent Croad
GAJ

Terrance Trent D'Croad.

EasternWest
04-10-2022, 02:26 PM
Eddy Betts
Monty
Trent Croad
GAJ

I can't recall Betts, Croad or Gaz ever playing for us.

hujsh
04-10-2022, 02:30 PM

How am I meant to know that 'the' club didn't mean 'any' club? The requirements were unclear please rewrite and submit for approval.

jazzadogs
04-10-2022, 02:31 PM
Reading it’s only $300,000 a season. That’s a pretty good result giving up only a spit on the list and $300,000. Relatively low risk/high reward potential.

If it's 3 years at 300k for a 32 year old surely no compo for Carlton?

F'scary
04-10-2022, 02:33 PM

THREE years!!! Have we thrown in a free walking stick?

bulldogtragic
04-10-2022, 02:41 PM

You’d think not.

In 12 months we’ve dealt with Carlton Lewis Young, for Liam Jones & Pick 52.

MrMahatma
04-10-2022, 02:50 PM
Welcome back Jonesy! You ARE a star.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2022, 02:51 PM
Welcome back Jonesy! You ARE a star.

Ahem… Competitive Beast!

MrMahatma
04-10-2022, 02:52 PM

Bulldog Joe
04-10-2022, 02:52 PM
Trivia time.

There are undoubtedly a few but my recall is

Bones McGhie and David Thorpe both to Richmond and back
Brett Montgomery to Port and back.

Axe Man
04-10-2022, 02:53 PM

Acres has been traded for a future third round pick, not the Jones compo as previously reported, so it appears there may not be any compo.

Swoop
04-10-2022, 02:57 PM
Yes, it is 3 years but context matters. It is the equivalent of 450k for 2 years but we've spread it out over three. I'm sure it's a way to manage the books, and if push came to shove then we could pay out his last year.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2022, 03:01 PM
Yes, it is 3 years but context matters. It is the equivalent of 450k for 2 years but we've spread it out over three. I'm sure it's a way to manage the books, and if push came to shove then we could pay out his last year.

Dead right Swoop.

Sedat
04-10-2022, 03:13 PM
Trivia time.

Did Chops Rickman come back to the kennel after his successful Williamstown stint in the VFA?

GVGjr
04-10-2022, 03:17 PM
Did Chops Rickman come back to the kennel after his successful Williamstown stint in the VFA?

I think there was a few players that did that.

EasternWest
04-10-2022, 03:46 PM
How am I meant to know that 'the' club didn't mean 'any' club? The requirements were unclear please rewrite and submit for approval.

Too late you've been marked as further training required.

hujsh
04-10-2022, 04:02 PM
Too late you've been marked as further training required.

Damn, I might just nearly cry hearing that.

Topdog
04-10-2022, 04:24 PM

you missed some good years mate

bornadog
04-10-2022, 04:29 PM
Damn, I might just nearly cry hearing that.

and hand in your mobile phone :D

hujsh
04-10-2022, 05:01 PM
and hand in your mobile phone :D

That one doesn't hurt. Have never had a phone owned by the business and wouldn't want it TBH.

Jeanette54
04-10-2022, 05:14 PM
Back in 2014 I told the story here of a young kid reduced to tears during Footscray's Grand Final win, by his Dad and his mates heaping the brown stuff on his hero, Liam Jones.

You would be old enough to make them eat their words now. Here's your chance young'un. Give him a couple of games to settle in, and you can give them a big "I told you so". Hoping your faith is repaid, this time in red/white and blue.

Axe Man
04-10-2022, 05:57 PM
Jones returns home to the Kennel (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1232929/?fbclid=IwAR1pHd4C0ptHbOdYneVOBTiyzO89v4vMFBeBTfHDwbTGMuNs61 4T6GrzBbg)

https://i.postimg.cc/TYbvDnxy/Liam-Jones-Signs-Welcome-1920x1080-ART.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Liam Jones is back where it all started, returning to the Western Bulldogs on a three-year deal as an unrestricted free agent.

The 31-year-old will call VU Whitten Oval home until at least the end of 2025, committing to the Club during the AFL Free Agency Period on Monday.

Jones joins the Dogs after spending seven seasons at Carlton, becoming a premier defender of the competition, after a five-year stint in the red, white and blue beginning in 2010.

The 199cm key defender averaged 12 touches and six marks per game in 2021 and was a member of Carlton’s leadership group for his past two seasons.

Taken at Pick 32 in the 2008 National Draft, the Tasmanian has played 161 games across his career and claimed a 2014 VFL Premiership with Footscray.

Jones was proud to pull on the red, white and blue once again.

“I’m just so grateful to have the opportunity to play at the highest level again,” Jones said.

“This Club gave me a chance all those years ago and I’m excited by the prospect of returning and helping this group continue to strive for success.”

“Having started my career at the Club, I feel a sense of belonging in the red, white and blue and can’t wait to meet all the players and staff over the coming weeks.

“I learnt plenty from my time at Carlton and hopefully I can bring some of that knowledge and experience over to the Dogs to help support the great players in our back half.”

Bulldogs General Manager – List & Recruiting, Sam Power couldn’t be more pleased to have Jones return to the fold at the Bulldogs.

“We’re thrilled to officially welcome Liam back into our colours,” Power said.

“Liam has some great relationships from his previous time at the Bulldogs, coupled with strong defensive attributes, we believe he will be a great fit for our football club.

“Having 161 games behind him, Liam brings a sense of leadership and stability to our back line, adding more depth in that area of the ground.”

bornadog
04-10-2022, 06:00 PM
Jones returns home to the Kennel (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1232929/?fbclid=IwAR1pHd4C0ptHbOdYneVOBTiyzO89v4vMFBeBTfHDwbTGMuNs61 4T6GrzBbg)

The 199cm key defender

What - oh no :D:D:D

Axe Man
04-10-2022, 06:02 PM
Carlton do get compensation after all...

The AFL has received paperwork for Unrestricted Free Agent Liam Jones to sign with the Western Bulldogs.

Carlton will receive a Round Three Selection (currently 49) in the 2022 NAB AFL Draft for Liam Jones signing with the Western Bulldogs.

Axe Man
04-10-2022, 06:03 PM

The small lockdown defender we have been crying out for? ;)

bulldogtragic
04-10-2022, 06:08 PM
Carlton do get compensation after all...

The cynical part of me thought they would. But I didn't actually think they would...

Good luck to them. Most of our picks will fall before that extra pushing out of picks.

SquirrelGrip
04-10-2022, 06:25 PM
So will Cody give up number 19 for the prodigal son to return?

And maybe give Cody number 5 in return?

hujsh
04-10-2022, 06:26 PM

THE BOY KEEPS GROWING.

Next time you say we need a 200cm backman to play the Kings I'm going to point at this article and make you feel quite the fool

bornadog
04-10-2022, 06:27 PM
THE BOY KEEPS GROWING.

Next time you say we need a 200cm backman to play the Kings I'm going to point at this article and make you feel quite the fool

How will that make me a fool?

hujsh
04-10-2022, 06:37 PM
How will that make me a fool?

Just a joke. You won't. The joke being more that I use the article as evidence of something we all know is false.