PDA

View Full Version : Will Minson - Its time

bornadog
13-02-2012, 04:16 PM
This is the year Minson must take some responsibility and start delivering as the number one ruckman for the Dogs. Over the years he has shown us plenty of potential and we have used excuses that he is a big man and needs to mature, Huddo is better than him etc etc. However, in 2012 he is now the senior ruckman and must lead by example and start delivering consistently.

Can he be our number one ruckman going forward?

Has he got the skill to play this role in the modern era - ie not just a tap ruckman.

Do you think he will finally deliver?

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Untitled-9.jpg

stefoid
13-02-2012, 04:24 PM
This is the year Minson must take some responsibility and start delivering as the number one ruckman for the Dogs. Over the years he has shown us plenty of potential and we have used excuses that he is a big man and needs to mature, Huddo is better than him etc etc. However, in 2012 he is now the senior ruckman and must lead by example and start delivering consistently.

Has he got the skill to play this role in the modern era - ie not just a tap ruckman.

Wilberforce, Roughy, Ayce, Cambell - not a bad collection of young upcoming rucks.

I think he does fine at the actual ruck contests, I want to see him take more marks around the ground. That is his weakness and for a ruck, its a big one.

LostDoggy
13-02-2012, 06:23 PM

sorry to take this off topic slightly - but wow the thing that jumps out at me was that he was pick 20 in the 2002 draft.. What a stinker of a draft that was for us and for most clubs I suppose.

In the end he is a top 20 draft pick, 10 years of development already (that is one hell of an investment by the club) we should be looking for dividends now. It is true that ruckmen do take a long time - late twenties are usually when they hit their peak, real make or break year, will really need to dominate centre bounces and around the ground to make up for lack of other strings to his bow (e.g. semi-mobile forward)...

ratsmac
13-02-2012, 06:40 PM
These were my exact thoughts this time last year but with Hudson still around. Fingers crossed he steps up but I wont be holding my breath.

SonofScray
13-02-2012, 06:49 PM
I really rate Will. Despite the fact he hasn't been a superstar under Eade I think he has shown some very good signs. Last year in the twos and clearly out of favour he showed some real leadership. Didn't sook, or let his attitude slip. He just worked harder.

When given time and responsibility he has been OK. At times he has been very good. Every now and then he'll put in an absolute shocker. He is no spud though. I think he will be a better performer under the new coach than under a guy who thought it would be clever to call him 'the dumbest smart bloke' going around or whatever it was.

Remi Moses
13-02-2012, 06:53 PM
No excuses for Will Minson now.
If he doesn't step up now he never will.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Will has emerged as our most experienced ruckman after surviving narrowly being traded at the end of 2010. BMcC sees him starting as first ruck. I would like to think that new midfield coach Stephen King can work on his rucking technique. Will has a big tank and Leon Cameron for one believes he is better suited with the responsibility of first ruck. This is really his make or break year. You can never doubt his effort and I for one hopes that the new Will Minson will hold down this vital role that will see us getting first use out of the centre and around the ground.

Mitcha
13-02-2012, 07:18 PM
I think he does fine at the actual ruck contests, I want to see him take more marks around the ground. That is his weakness and for a ruck, its a big one.
It's probably fair to say finding the footy around the ground wasn't one of Huddo's great strengths. Will plays his best footy in the ruck and I do agree that he really needs to accept that responsibility now and make the position his own. looking forward to the younger developing ruckman keeping Will honest.

Greystache
13-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Will's an honest trier, has a good attitude, and now has an opportunity to really make his mark as number one ruckman. My concern with him is he just doesn't seem to be improving, to me he isn't any better now than he was in 2008. If he can step up this year with the added responsibility, great, we really need him to, but if he cant then we have to accept he is what he is and start to look at other options.

Go_Dogs
13-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Agree with your post BAD - massive year for Will. I'm still fairly hopeful about him becoming a (more) consistent contributor and this year is really his best opportunity to do so. As Greystache mentions, if he can't improve this year he might never quite get there, but he appears to be our best option perhaps even over the next 2 years unless one of our other big guys knocks the door down.

As an aside, there was a very good article in the Advertiser on Saturday (can't seem to find it online) about Will regarding all the work he does for the community and especially with kids both here and overseas.

ledge
13-02-2012, 08:49 PM
New rules might make it harder for Will

chef
13-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Hope he proves me wrong, but I don't think he has the talent to hold down the number 1 ruck role.

LostDoggy
13-02-2012, 09:23 PM
New rules might make it harder for Will

What new rules?

Bulldog Joe
13-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Will has always done pretty well when he has played as the ruckman.
With Huddo around he was expected to be a forward more and although he gave a contest he was the one sacrificed because Huddo could not provide the same contest as a forward.

While I concede that Hudson was a very good clearance player, Will was/is more likely to give advantage from his ruckwork alone.

LostDoggy
13-02-2012, 09:51 PM
I have a feeling (nothing else to base it on) that he will really take some significant steps forward this season as our first ruck. No Huddo to steal his limelight and it was clear that Will fell out of favour with Rocket last year - i lost count at the number of times that Will was BOG in the VFL!

He is aggressive (sometimes a bit too aggressive), can run and he has the years behind him to hopefully be able to cut it as a first ruck. Yes, i would like to see him take more marks around the ground, but if he just makes a contest and then gets his big frame in the way to open things up for our mids, then i dont think we will mind how many marks he takes.

Agree that his time is now and lets hope that he shows us that the 10 year investment from the club was worth it!

If he does this, then it allows Roughie to be played more as a forward who pinch hits in the ruck, which is how i would prefer things to pan out! We dont want to be relying on Roughie as our first ruck this early on in his career.

ledge
13-02-2012, 09:51 PM
What new rules?

Apparently you cant jostle for position anymore in the ruck, you can only meet once ball is out of umpires hand, this includes throw ins.

What it means is blokes like Hudson are a dead breed, Natanui and big spring ruckman will now take over.

divvydan
13-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Apparently you cant jostle for position anymore in the ruck, you can only meet once ball is out of umpires hand, this includes throw ins.

What it means is blokes like Hudson are a dead breed, Natanui and big spring ruckman will now take over.

That's something being trialled in the NAB Cup this year, won't be in the proper season.

LostDoggy
13-02-2012, 10:09 PM
That's something being trialled in the NAB Cup this year, won't be in the proper season.

That's what I thought. Nab cup is a waste of time.

LostDoggy
14-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Personally, I have a lot of time for Wil, in the hope that "these big blokes take some time to develop". In all honesty, if he doesn't fire this year being elevated to our most senior ruckman, I'm not sure he ever will. Great opportunity for him to prove all the doubters wrong! ;)

Mofra
14-02-2012, 11:47 AM
He hasn't had a significant run in the past few seasons at his best position on the ground - no 1 ruck. He's aggressive and if he uses his body to create space at the contests for our mids, he's running at par.

Murphy'sLore
14-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Come on, Wilbur -- seize the day. This is your time to shine!

DragzLS1
14-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Think he will do fine is solid and very strong plus has a great attitude. After a few rounds should see him start to improve from last year I think but we do have a few young up and coming rucks which is a positive.

LostDoggy
14-02-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm hearing that Will has had 10 years development, but the last 3 or 4 hampered by Huddo being ahead of him in his best position (1st ruck) and the sub rule killing off the 2nd ruck who doesn't have another string to his bow.

Does this mean that Huddo probably played a couple of years too long for us? He was a wonderful servant, and was integral to our prelim teams, but Minson should probably have played more last year, for example, especially once we knew we were out of the flag race.

I dunno, just thinking of the "what if"s.

Bulldog4life
14-02-2012, 01:22 PM
I like Will as a player and competitor. Really hope that this year he shines.

immortalmike
14-02-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm hearing that Will has had 10 years development, but the last 3 or 4 hampered by Huddo being ahead of him in his best position (1st ruck) and the sub rule killing off the 2nd ruck who doesn't have another string to his bow.

Does this mean that Huddo probably played a couple of years too long for us? He was a wonderful servant, and was integral to our prelim teams, but Minson should probably have played more last year, for example, especially once we knew we were out of the flag race.

I dunno, just thinking of the "what if"s.

Huddo was in the top 4-5 ruckmen in 2010 he deserved another year, especially considering our internal expectations at the start of last year. Minson was given plenty of chances last year to prove he was better than Huddo, he blew all but one (against Cameron Wood). Even when Williams took over Roughead was the preferred ruck. Wil is solid but the best we can hope for this year is that he breaks even and our midfield grunt is enough to win the clearances.

LostDoggy
14-02-2012, 01:58 PM
I like Will. He seems like a good, solid bloke.

I also think he's not up to it. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and wait and see…

bornadog
14-02-2012, 03:38 PM
He is aggressive (sometimes a bit too aggressive),

I think he played his best footy when he was aggressive, he was so pumped up. Yes gave away some free kicks, but hey scared the bejesus out of the opposition. He needs to be aggressive at the footy and not the man.

One thing about Will, he will give you 120%.

Tii1_cbfj3w

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Has a lot of frees paid against him like that "blocking' one aginat Harry O'Brien. Umps don't seem to like him.

bornadog
14-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Has a lot of frees paid against

Career average is less than two per game.

always right
14-02-2012, 04:58 PM
I think he played his best footy when he was aggressive, he was so pumped up. Yes gave away some free kicks, but hey scared the bejesus out of the opposition. He needs to be aggressive at the footy and not the man.

Tii1_cbfj3w

I remember this one well. He had Thomas cold and had the opportunity to earn a free kick. At the very least he could have really hurt Thomas. In the end he did neither.

Will will give you "100%" and I like him....but he needs to get maximum value from his posessions as he doesn't get a lot of them. Fortunately his disposal is generally very effective...so he can gather more of them he could be a solid ruckman.

I think the strength of our ruck must be built on our two ruckmen working in tandem as individually none of them look like being stars.

LostDoggy
14-02-2012, 05:41 PM
If he is gonna give away frees like that should have made Thomas not get up.

Sockeye Salmon
14-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Everyone was under instructions that game to hurt Thomas at every opportunity.

Mofra
15-02-2012, 10:26 AM
I think he played his best footy when he was aggressive, he was so pumped up. Yes gave away some free kicks, but hey scared the bejesus out of the opposition.
He's done pretty well with free kicks in recent times - I think he's one player who's attitude cannot be faulted, especially the way he carried himself last year when spending long periods of time at Willy.

SlimPickens
15-02-2012, 11:23 AM

Tii1_cbfj3w

Is this an endorsement for Will or a rebuttal? This sort of play somes up Will pretty well, giving away a fee kick with aggression that isn't effective.

I agree with you that he needs to play with aggression to be at his best, but making that aggression "count" much like Huddo did is what has held Will back IMO. From what i've seen in the preseason so far i think Will is in trouble. I hope i'm wrong because this year is a huge opportunity for him.

I also think the new rule trials (NAB cup) will frustrate Will incredibly, as the wrestle for the ball around the contest is one of his strengths.

bornadog
15-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Is this an endorsement for Will or a rebuttal? This sort of play somes up Will pretty well, giving away a fee kick with aggression that isn't effective.

I agree with you that he needs to play with aggression to be at his best, but making that aggression "count" much like Huddo did is what has held Will back IMO. From what i've seen in the preseason so far i think Will is in trouble. I hope i'm wrong because this year is a huge opportunity for him.

I also think the new rule trials (NAB cup) will frustrate Will incredibly, as the wrestle for the ball around the contest is one of his strengths.

You need to look at that you-tube highlight in a different way. Thomas was about to run off and put Collingwood into attack. Will tackled him and stopped the flow, which gave the players plenty of time up field to man up.

SlimPickens
15-02-2012, 04:42 PM
You need to look at that you-tube highlight in a different way. Thomas was about to run off and put Collingwood into attack. Will tackled him and stopped the flow, which gave the players plenty of time up field to man up.

That could very well could be the case, but he could have also rotated in the tackle, not given away the free kick and at worse have it result in a ball up.

Thomas was a lame duck in that incident, Will just needed to use a bit of sense and we would have got a better result.

immortalmike
15-02-2012, 04:51 PM
That could very well could be the case, but he could have also rotated in the tackle, not given away the free kick and at worse have it result in a ball up.

Thomas was a lame duck in that incident, Will just needed to use a bit of sense and we would have got a better result.

Or he could have not put in the 100% effort to chase in the first place...
He is a big man and it is very hard to change momentum when you're going full pace.

SlimPickens
15-02-2012, 04:55 PM
Or he could have not put in the 100% effort to chase in the first place...
He is a big man and it is very hard to change momentum when you're going full pace.

what like rolling a bloke who is 25kg lighter than him and standing still...give me a spell

DragzLS1
15-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Thomas was clearly taking off and took a step so imo that should not have even been a free kick he took a step to play on then big Wil crunched him. Lets just look forward to the season and hope we see improvements in his game which I think we will.

chef
15-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Everyone was under instructions that game to hurt Thomas at every opportunity.

Seems pointless as it wouldn't faze him.

Mantis
15-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Seems pointless as it wouldn't faze him.

Thomas was playing with broken ribs.

Maddog37
15-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Thomas was clearly taking off and took a step so imo that should not have even been a free kick he took a step to play on then big Wil crunched him. Lets just look forward to the season and hope we see improvements in his game which I think we will.

It was in the back. Free kick every day of the week.

chef
15-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Thomas was playing with broken ribs.

I understand now.

LostDoggy
19-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Will did well. Hungry.

Bulldog Revolution
19-02-2012, 08:47 PM
I like Wil

I've said it before but I just feel he needs to focus more on the footy and less on the man. By attacking the footy I think he will inevitably provide the physical presence he strives to be but will be far more effective.

Remi Moses
20-02-2012, 02:14 AM
Had a good game I thought. Hargrave was very good and the capt was the pick of the experienced crop.

LostDoggy
20-02-2012, 09:00 PM
I havent seen the stats but it certainly appeared that he was getting the majority of the hitouts to advantage, and he was good around the ground. Solid start, although he still gave away 1 stupid free kick (in the back).

He is a bloody good setshot for goal - if (and its a big if) he can take a mark or 2 up forward every game, he will convert well.

F'scary
20-02-2012, 09:53 PM
We really need Big Will to make it as a good #1 ruck now, this year. If he has an excellent season, with the talent coming up to partner him in the big man department like Roughead & Cordy (apparently now approx a 96kg monster) we've got a few team issues sorted like not big enough, too skinny to take on Geelong, Eagles, etc, etc. If he spends the year in the reserves because of form then we'll have those problems as Roughead & Cordy, et al, are not ready for #1 ruck spot but great as #2/forward pocket at this stage of their development.

bornadog
21-02-2012, 05:07 PM
I like Wil

I've said it before but I just feel he needs to focus more on the footy and less on the man. By attacking the footy I think he will inevitably provide the physical presence he strives to be but will be far more effective.

Click here: Don't argue (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video%20%20audio/tabid/8663/contentid/424108/default.aspx) :D

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-02-2012, 06:44 PM
We really need Big Will to make it as a good #1 ruck now, this year. If he has an excellent season, with the talent coming up to partner him in the big man department like Roughead & Cordy (apparently now approx a 96kg monster) we've got a few team issues sorted like not big enough, too skinny to take on Geelong, Eagles, etc, etc. If he spends the year in the reserves because of form then we'll have those problems as Roughead & Cordy, et al, are not ready for #1 ruck spot but great as #2/forward pocket at this stage of their development.

I think you are on the money with your assessment. This is a new situation for Will to take over the responsibilty as No. 1 and to then nurture and mentor both Roughead and Cordy. Minson has great endurance and is a workhorse. This should see big Will spending more time in the ruck, allowing both Roughie and Cordy to spend more time up forward as a marking option. I hope for Will's sake that this will become his breakout year.

Bulldog Revolution
22-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Click here: Don't argue (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video%20%20audio/tabid/8663/contentid/424108/default.aspx) :D

Nice one, executed it beautifully

At times he tries to do stuff like that but really crunch the guy whilst he's doing it, where as in that one he just does it, and because he is so strong he sits Ball on his arse anyway

SquirrelGrip
10-09-2015, 09:55 PM
If there's ever time for Big Will, it's this Saturday.

Perfectly primed, caging the tiger, holding back the beast, he couldn't be more ready too. And it's not like a big strong ruckman hasn't come into the finals after a layoff from the senior side and made a major difference - think Brisbane, Geelong and Hawthorn. He's not long ago the All-Australian Ruckman.

Will's selection is coaching of the highest order!

KT31
10-09-2015, 10:34 PM
Will Minson - Its time;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqMCZBjvmD4

Rocco Jones
10-09-2015, 11:36 PM
I think Will's selection is less holding him back and more necessity. Look at the other options:
- Campbell coming off an injury + gastro
- Roughead injured
- T Boyd coming off injury and not a 1st ruck
- Ayce Cordy

Also people forget that as much as Will has been on the outer, he has played more games this year as our first ruck than any other player.

1eyedog
10-09-2015, 11:50 PM
I think Will's selection is less holding him back and more necessity. Look at the other options:
- Roughead injured
- Ayce Cordy

Also people forget that as much as Will has been on the outer, he has played more games this year as our first ruck than any other player.

Where's your sense of nostalgia?

Twodogs
10-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Where's your sense of nostalgia?

And bromance.

comrade
11-09-2015, 08:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHz8ft56lQQ

Mofra
11-09-2015, 10:15 AM
- Roughead injured
- Ayce Cordy

Harsh :D

Sedat
11-09-2015, 11:11 AM
If he can control his aggression and not give away dumb frees, he can really upset the rhythm of the beanpole tap ruckmen in September. Ben Hudson had a fantastic record against all of the tall ruckmen because he would grind them down with his physicality and offer twice as much support to the mids when the ball hits the deck. Pivotal to winning the ruck battle will be our mids structuring up smartly at the stoppages to negate the clean clearances that killed us against West Coke 2 weeks ago - although I suspect that we went all shoot-out mode against them and kept something in the kitbag for the following week against Norf.

Ghost Dog
11-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Harsh :D

Yeah I thought so too. I hear good things about Ayce in the VFL. Back on Minson, there is a fear factor with Will able to lay big tackles on their mids and wear them out a bit. Maybe not fear but intimidation.

Ozza
11-09-2015, 03:53 PM
If he can control his aggression and not give away dumb frees, he can really upset the rhythm of the beanpole tap ruckmen in September. Ben Hudson had a fantastic record against all of the tall ruckmen because he would grind them down with his physicality and offer twice as much support to the mids when the ball hits the deck. Pivotal to winning the ruck battle will be our mids structuring up smartly at the stoppages to negate the clean clearances that killed us against West Coke 2 weeks ago - although I suspect that we went all shoot-out mode against them and kept something in the kitbag for the following week against Norf.

I would love to hear of Huddo giving Minno a call and offering some advice for this week!
Huddo was such a smart player. For quite a short ruckman, Huddo seemed to strategise well against all variety of ruckman in order to help the team as well as he was capable of.

LostDoggy
11-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Crash and Bash the pack's Big Will Minno!!!
Crash and Bash.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2015, 11:10 PM
I thought you were ok Will.i.am - If that's your last game, thanks for your heart and an AA year.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-09-2015, 12:36 AM
He was better than ok. He was fantastic.

If it is his last game, he should be proud.

Remi Moses
13-09-2015, 12:40 AM
Thought he was good tonight, and if that's his bulldog swan song, it was pretty decent

bulldogtragic
13-09-2015, 12:51 AM
Thought he was good tonight, and if that's his bulldog swan song, it was pretty decent

Yep. Ironically, his trade value went up if even a little bit.

SlimPickens
13-09-2015, 12:59 AM
He was better than ok. He was fantastic.

If it is his last game, he should be proud.

Don't sugar coat it. He was a long way off fantastic.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-09-2015, 01:04 AM

He was never going to dominate. Jacobs is one of the best rucks in the league, but what we needed from Minson was a competitive performance and he certainly gave that. Jacobs was a non-factor really and Minson helped contribute to our 46-26 win in the clearances.

It would have been scary if Ayce or TC played (both of whom were awful in the VFL by the way).

Sedat
13-09-2015, 01:11 AM
Jacobs was a non-factor really and Minson helped contribute to our 46-26 win in the clearances.
Yep, Minson was fantastic tonight with his effort and effectiveness in nullifying Jacobs. As an aside, has a team ever lost a match after winning the clearances by 20? That is an astronomical differential.

Ghost Dog
13-09-2015, 02:16 AM

He was solid. What else could you ask ? I felt he won his position. Didn't you?

hujsh
13-09-2015, 03:14 AM
Yep, Minson was fantastic tonight with his effort and effectiveness in nullifying Jacobs. As an aside, has a team ever lost a match after winning the clearances by 20? That is an astronomical differential.

Sounds like something we'd manage last year probably

GVGjr
13-09-2015, 05:33 AM
I'm still not comfortable with the ongoing speculation that the contracted Minson will be traded. His game showed that he can still be a more than reasonable ruckman next year. Will just play out next season with us and just see what happens.

FrediKanoute
13-09-2015, 07:04 AM
I'm still not comfortable with the ongoing speculation that the contracted Minson will be traded. His game showed that he can still be a more than reasonable ruckman next year. Will just play out next season with us and just see what happens.

I disagree. Minson lived up to his billing as the games smartest dumb footballer. Ok he broke even with the Crows ruck and did a lot of bolllocking work, but up forward when Redders went into the ruck he was anonymous. I am ambivalent re whether he stys or goes, but his time has passed and if we got a decent trade I would consider.

GVGjr
13-09-2015, 08:14 AM
I am ambivalent re whether he stys or goes, but his time has passed and if we got a decent trade I would consider.

What is your definition of a decent trade?
You need to consider giving him away for a 3rd round upgraded pick like how we acquired Biggs. We might even have to consider paying some of his salary.

SlimPickens
13-09-2015, 08:24 AM
He was solid. What else could you ask ? I felt he won his position. Didn't you?

No I didnt. I thought he did however minimise Jacobs. To me Jacobs was the better ruckman on the night.

GVGjr
13-09-2015, 08:29 AM
No I didnt. I thought he did however minimise Jacobs. To me Jacobs was the better ruckman on the night.

I think that is probably correct but I still regarded Will as a positive on the night.

FrediKanoute
13-09-2015, 09:08 AM
I think that is probably correct but I still regarded Will as a positive on the night.

Would Will have played next week if we had won?

Decent trade.... first rounder -yes! Fourth rounder -no - something in the middle I guess. Depends also on how we project Roughed, Campbell, Corey.....

GVGjr
13-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Would Will have played next week if we had won?

Decent trade.... first rounder -yes! Fourth rounder -no - something in the middle I guess. Depends also on how we project Roughed, Campbell, Corey.....

I think so. I'm not sure Campbell would have done any better.
I can't see a club parting with a 2nd round pick from Minson let along a 1st rounder. If your happy with a 3rd rounder or a pick upgrade then you really just want him moved on.

Could Campbell and Roughead carry the ruck next year? If not then we would need also need trade for one and potentially pay overs.

If I was Will I would stay, a one year deal at good money isn't a bad way to finish a career and there is a chance he will play as well.

bornadog
13-09-2015, 10:07 AM
If I was Will I would stay, a one year deal at good money isn't a bad way to finish a career and there is a chance he will play as well.

Bevo said again last night that Will is contracted next year and the club expects him to fulfill his contract.

GVGjr
13-09-2015, 10:28 AM
Bevo said again last night that Will is contracted next year and the club expects him to fulfill his contract.

And I think he should.

Ozza
13-09-2015, 01:59 PM
I disagree. Minson lived up to his billing as the games smartest dumb footballer. Ok he broke even with the Crows ruck and did a lot of bolllocking work, but up forward when Redders went into the ruck he was anonymous. I am ambivalent re whether he stys or goes, but his time has passed and if we got a decent trade I would consider.

He was 'anonymous' up forward because he didn't play there. Redpath only went into the ruck when Minson (and Jacobs) went off the ground.

I thought Will more or less broke even with one of the leagues best ruckman, and had a big say in U.S. Winning the clearances- even getting a few himself.

With regard to trading him - I could be swayed either way - but he didn't let us down last night.

Bulldog4life
13-09-2015, 02:02 PM
And I think he should.

Bevo at his presser when asked how Will played said ok. Not a ringing endorsement.

Hotdog60
13-09-2015, 02:10 PM
With the sub going can we still utilise Will from the Bench.

Bulldog Joe
13-09-2015, 04:15 PM
With the sub going can we still utilise Will from the Bench.

I really think the elimination of the sub has no impact.

What we have is also reduced interchange and with the way we play under Bevo we will want lots of gut running.

The reduced interchange probably means the ruck MUST rest forward and some mobility will be essential.

soupman
13-09-2015, 05:07 PM
I really think the elimination of the sub has no impact.

What we have is also reduced interchange and with the way we play under Bevo we will want lots of gut running.

The reduced interchange probably means the ruck MUST rest forward and some mobility will be essential.

Why would the ruck rest forward? It'll be the exact same setup as it currently is because there is no way any coach is going to let a pure ruckman compromise their forward setup and number of runners on the ground. If he needs a rest he comes to the bench as he does now.

Ghost Dog
13-09-2015, 05:25 PM
Bevo at his presser when asked how Will played said ok. Not a ringing endorsement.

He was a little more upbeat than that. Sounded very positive to me.

Bulldog4life
13-09-2015, 05:27 PM
He was a little more upbeat than that. Sounded very positive to me.

Yes I listened again and after saying ok he elaborated further so I take your point GD

Remi Moses
13-09-2015, 05:39 PM

Lying is the second language of AFL

Remi Moses
13-09-2015, 05:41 PM
It seems like they stick Will in a cage and feed him raw meat for a few weeks, then he gets unleashed and performs well.
Not sure if this is sustainable moving forward

LostDoggy
13-09-2015, 05:42 PM
I will have to listen to the presser again because I said to my family "Will is gone" after listening to Bevo.

merantau
13-09-2015, 05:54 PM
I think Will can hold his head up high after last night's performance. He should stay for another year.

Ozza
13-09-2015, 07:43 PM
I will have to listen to the presser again because I said to my family "Will is gone" after listening to Bevo.

I thought similar. He was only Luke warm about Will's performance and wasn't emphatic about next year- sticking to the "he's a contracted player".

LostDoggy
13-09-2015, 08:34 PM
I thought similar. He was only Luke warm about Will's performance and wasn't emphatic about next year- sticking to the "he's a contracted player".

My impression too. From memory the comment was something like : Will is a contracted player for next year and the expectation is he will be here unless he chooses otherwise.

Sounded odd the way it was phrased, certainly didn't fill me with confidence that Will is in their plans.

bornadog
13-09-2015, 08:56 PM
My impression too. From memory the comment was something like : Will is a contracted player for next year and the expectation is he will be here unless he chooses otherwise.

Sounded odd the way it was phrased, certainly didn't fill me with confidence that Will is in their plans.

Maybe Will wants a change.

LostDoggy
13-09-2015, 08:59 PM

Yeah. Either way I agree with people who were left with the impression that Will was unlikely to be with us next year.

GVGjr
13-09-2015, 09:18 PM

It all depends if he thinks he can play for 2 more seasons. I'd back him to stay with us unless someone offers him a 2 year deal and he thinks he is physically ready to do that.

azabob
13-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Why would the ruck rest forward? It'll be the exact same setup as it currently is because there is no way any coach is going to let a pure ruckman compromise their forward setup and number of runners on the ground. If he needs a rest he comes to the bench as he does now.

40 less I/c rotations for 2016 than 2015. So greater flexibility will be required.

Ghost Dog
13-09-2015, 10:15 PM
That's funny because I thought Bevo sounded positive, but maybe that's because I like Minno and want him to say. The fact is he is not favored by Bevo.

Stefcep
13-09-2015, 11:16 PM
Not sure why people think Will's gone.

Sounded like Bevo was leaving it up to Will, meaning Will may want out, or meaning its up to Will in the sense Will staying is conditional upon Will doing things Bevo demands of him.

BTW I thought he had one of his better games, far more controlled, and some purposeful palming down

Sedat
13-09-2015, 11:22 PM
We won the clearances 46-26, which is a smashing. Minson had a few himself. He's our best pure ruckman but sadly he has no other strings to his bow. I wouldn't begrudge him at all going to another club if he wanted to.

Ghost Dog
14-09-2015, 12:56 AM
Don't remind me. It hurts to hear that stat.

Bulldog Joe
14-09-2015, 09:41 AM

The reduced interchange will make it more important to get rest periods into the real runners.

w3design
14-09-2015, 11:27 AM
I have been a big fan of Wills in the past, but was I was disappointed in his lack of chase against the Crows.