PDA

View Full Version : Scapegoats - Bulldog Players Past/Present who copped that tag

BulldogBelle
17-09-2007, 09:04 PM
This thread is inspired by a little chit chat on another thread about Bulldog Players who have been given the tag as scapegoats. These can be past and present players who have been blamed for everything that goes wrong after a loss.

Sooooooooo, let's see how many we can come up with that people have scapegoated them be it at the football, online on the forums, at the local pub anywhere...and have blamed them as the cause of the team's demise after a loss.

McMahon
Gia
Eagleton
Ray
Power
Walsh
Morgan

Heaps more....list away!

LostDog
17-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Paul Dooley
Bassett
Rawlings
Todd Curley
Matthew Dent

LostDog
17-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Cameron Faulkner
Steven Koops
Jesse Wells

BulldogBelle
17-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Keiran McGuinness
Peter Street

Dry Rot
17-09-2007, 09:14 PM
May I question Walsh's eligibility?

To be a scapegoat, surely you had to have played? ;)

LostDog
17-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Adam Contessa
Mark Alvey
Paul Hudson

LostDog
17-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Bernard Toohey
Richard Osborne

LostDog
17-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Alan Jakovich
Luke Darcy

who played on Jarman in the 97 prelim they deserve a mention 2

BulldogBelle
17-09-2007, 09:22 PM
May I question Walsh's eligibility?

To be a scapegoat, surely you had to have played? ;)

Well ofcourse my friend DR, you may question the eligibility and here is my response -

Well he played one game and he was scapegoated in the way where he was taking up a spot on the list and that it was said he should've tried harder to get himself better especially after so many years that the club invested in him he should have given more.

So yep, we can lump him into that category. Never mind the poor bloke suffered injury after injury the word was "He was taking up a spot"

LostDog
17-09-2007, 09:24 PM
I have to say the award must be a tie for biggest scape goats come on tell me i'm wrong

PETER RHODE TIED WITH LACHLAN VEAL

i know rhode is not a player but come on who trades pick 6 for who

Sedat
17-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Peter Quill was a favourite scapegoat for my Dogs mates and I in the mid 90's. Some of his skill errors defied belief. I saw him once at Princes Park in 1995 against Carlton take a free kick from the left defensive 50 at the Lygon St end and proceed to kick it out of bounds on the full in the opposite back pocket (in front of where the Legends Stand currently is). James Cook (when he was at Carlton) kicked a resultant goal with the free kick.

Who could also forget him montioning the players to head for the Doug Hawkins wing in a tight finish against Freo in 1995 only to kick it inboard and hit Ben Allan on the chest 55 metres out. A goal aftert the siren would have pinched the game for Freo but Allan fell 5 metres short.

Daniel Hargreaves was also a scapegoat in the early 90's because people could see he had loads of talent but only showed it in sporadic bursts. I also blame him for everyone on BF spelling Ryan Hargrave's name consistently wrong.

The Coon Dog
17-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Mark Cullen
Andrew Wills
Ilija Grgic
Jade Rawlings

Twodogs
17-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Peter Quill was a favourite scapegoat for my Dogs mates and I in the mid 90's. Some of his skill errors defied belief. I saw him once at Princes Park in 1995 against Carlton take a free kick from the left defensive 50 at the Lygon St end and proceed to kick it out of bounds on the full in the opposite back pocket (in front of where the Legends Stand currently is). James Cook (when he was at Carlton) kicked a resultant goal with the free kick.

I saw him miss a target so badly at half forward once that the ball ended up going out on the full on the opposite flank. He must have missed it by a good 50 metres and I'm being generous.

LostDog
17-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Trent Bartlett
Aaron James
Adam Morgan
Brad Murphy
Nathan Saunders
Patrick Wiggins
Marcus Picken
Shannon Rusca
Mark West
Izsac Thompson
Tom Davidson

Dry Rot
17-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Well ofcourse my friend DR, you may question the eligibility and here is my response -

Well he played one game and he was scapegoated in the way where he was taking up a spot on the list and that it was said he should've tried harder to get himself better especially after so many years that the club invested in him he should have given more.

So yep, we can lump him into that category. Never mind the poor bloke suffered injury after injury the word was "He was taking up a spot"

Yep, that makes sense.

I suspect that only Grant has been scapegoated out of the current batch.

bornadog
17-09-2007, 11:42 PM
I have to say the award must be a tie for biggest scape goats come on tell me i'm wrong

PETER RHODE TIED WITH LACHLAN VEAL

i know rhode is not a player but come on who trades pick 6 for who

Veal was part of the Rawlings deal, we didn't pick him, we had to take him.

LostDoggy
18-09-2007, 10:19 AM
I thought a scapegoat was a player thats not too bad but is blamed for the team's performances.
Naming a dud thats player 1 or 2 games doesn't seem right.
Eg Dooley, Picken, B Murphy, etc

Twodogs
18-09-2007, 10:59 AM
I thought a scapegoat was a player thats not too bad but is blamed for the team's performances.
Naming a dud thats player 1 or 2 games doesn't seem right.
Eg Dooley, Picken, B Murphy, etc

'Scape goat' is a ancient Jewish tradition. They'd confess thir sins over the goat and then let the goat (e)'scape' into the wild with all their sins attached.

westdog54
18-09-2007, 02:08 PM
'Scape goat' is a ancient Jewish tradition. They'd confess thir sins over the goat and then let the goat (e)'scape' into the wild with all their sins attached.

Yet another random piece of information learned for the week.

Before it was the 'decimated' discussion on BF.

Twodogs
18-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Before it was the 'decimated' discussion on BF.

?

Didnt see that one.

westdog54
18-09-2007, 03:34 PM
?

Didnt see that one.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364764&highlight=decimated (http://http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364764&highlight=decimated)
Read post 7 onwards.

Twodogs
18-09-2007, 06:51 PM
That's a dud link Nick.

Go_Dogs
18-09-2007, 07:31 PM
It works, copy and paste it.

westdog54
18-09-2007, 11:01 PM
That's a dud link Nick.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364764
Try that one.

LostDoggy
20-09-2007, 10:24 AM
You've all missed the greatest scapegoat of all - Ben Harrision who was solely responsible for every loss we had as well as starting the 1930's depression and World War II.

I wouldn't mind betting he was behind 9/11.

Sockeye Salmon
20-09-2007, 10:31 AM
You've all missed the greatest scapegoat of all - Ben Harrision who was solely responsible for every loss we had as well as starting the 1930's depression and World War II.

I wouldn't mind betting he was behind 9/11.

I reckon he probably was.

Certainly responsible for Twodogs stress levels and high blood pressure

LostDoggy
20-09-2007, 10:48 AM
There you go - its happening again.

westdog54
20-09-2007, 12:46 PM
There you go - its happening again.

Oh don't worry, it takes very little to trigger Twodogs' stress levels and blood pressure.

Just ask Adrian Anderson.