PDA

View Full Version : Taken For Granted

Greystache
24-02-2012, 06:08 PM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20F-J/grantnab246.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs forward Jarrad Grant has revealed the mental anguish that tormented him last season.

In a brutally honest self-assessment, Grant has told AFL.com.au an increasingly negative mindset and his lack of a worthwhile pursuit outside the game - which had led to an unhealthy focus on football - had contributed to his sub-standard season.

The 22-year-old is hoping a positive outlook and a more balanced lifestyle will help him purge the memory of 2011 and recapture the form that made him one of the AFL's most promising forwards.

It was an unexpected fall from grace for Grant following a breakthrough 2010 season in which he kicked 29 goals in 20 matches.

The lightly-built forward started 2011 in reasonable touch, kicking four goals in the opening NAB Cup triple-header against the Cats and North Melbourne at Geelong. He then tallied 11 goals in the opening eight premiership games as the Bulldogs fell to a 3-5 start.

But Grant was dropped three times, and played just eight of the last 14 matches, adding only five more goals. Ten times he managed no more than 11 touches.

As Grant endured his extended flat patch, he was wracked by self-condemnation that largely sabotaged his attempts to build on his 2010 form.

"I had a pretty poor year and I was really disappointed in myself," he said.

"The coaches expected more out of me too, and fair enough.

"The team wasn’t going well and my form wasn't helping at all. My consistency was a bit wavy - up and down.

"I have high expectations of myself and when I'm not performing up to that level, like last year, I tend to get a bit down on myself.

"And that negative stuff doesn’t help you when you’re trying to find some form to stay in the team, or to get back in the team."

With the help of leadership consultant Richard Maloney, Grant has developed a more positive mindset - he says "a fresh attitude" - and feels better equipped to handle the game's challenges.

He will also better occupy his time and mind with diversions away from the game - online study for a small business certificate, and pursuing his interest in horse racing.

"I was full-time footy last year and that probably contributed a bit to my down year," Grant said.

"This will give me something to do away from the footy club and take your mind away from thinking about the game flat-out 24/7, which can be a bit unhealthy at times.

"Footy's a tough industry and your head can do some funny things to you. I learnt that last year."

Grant also owns a share of promising six-year-old trotter Bout Time, and occasionally heads up the Western Freeway to Melton to check on horse's progress

"The early mornings are the hardest part because I love my sleep - most of my teammates will tell you that," he said.

"A lot of people just like to bet on horses or go to the racecourse, but I like to see what happens behind the scenes. A lot more goes into it than people think, just like at a footy club, where there's a lot more to it than just game day."

Recently retired Bulldogs forward Barry Hall has also had a huge influence on Grant, who describes Hall as his favourite Dogs identity. Aside from his training and playing example, Hall made a significant impact upon Grant with his attitude to life.

"He was great off the field too because he's very jovial," Grant said. "I learnt from him that as much as we want to win every week, you also need to have some fun and have a life outside footy."

Grant is hopeful of having more fun on the field too. Since being the Bulldogs' first pick at No. 5 in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft, he has played 37 games in four seasons. But with Hall gone, Grant is one of several tall forwards hoping to thrive in a restructured attack.

He has enjoyed a solid pre-season, although he missed a week of training pre-Christmas with back soreness as he adapted to the increased leg weights demanded under the new regime.

Grant says it's crucial that he becomes versatile enough to play tall and small roles in a more fluid forward line.

A focus has been his aerial work, in particular contested marking. Even in 2010 he took just eight; and last year only seven, when the Dogs' veteran runners Daniel Giansiracusa and Daniel Cross managed 19 and 17 respectively. However, with assistant coach Steven King schooling him on positioning and general physicality, it may well become a strength.

Although he continues to improve his physical strength, the gains are hardly noticeable on Grant's lean, 192cm and 83kg frame. He has finally accepted that he won’t develop into a muscle-bound pack-breaker.

An inspiration, though, is teammate Bob Murphy, who started his career at 71kg and is now also listed at 83kg.

"Murph holds one of the records here for weight-to-power ratio, so there's nothing to say that a leaner guy can’t be strong and have a good career," he said.

"Murph gives guys like me some hope that we might be able to do that too."

Article (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/129517/default.aspx)

bornadog
24-02-2012, 06:21 PM
We need Grant to kick at least 40 to 50 goals this year. Lets hope he turns it around.

hujsh
24-02-2012, 07:24 PM
We need Grant to kick at least 40 to 50 goals this year. Lets hope he turns it around.

That seems unrealistic unless you expect him to be our leading goalscorer.

G-Mo77
24-02-2012, 09:41 PM
That seems unrealistic unless you expect him to be our leading goalscorer.

He had 30 in 2010 and had a poor season last year and managed to get 16, 40 is not unrealistic IMO.

Grant is one of the players that need to step up if we are going to go anywhere. He has the talent but mentally he seems a fair way off. Reading this article he seems he's fighting the mental side of AFL football head on which is great to hear.

w3design
24-02-2012, 11:00 PM

Not going to happen 20 to 30 maybe if we are lucky.

GVGjr
24-02-2012, 11:18 PM

It would be great for the team and player but I wonder how realistic it is. In my opinion 40 goals might be about his limit and 50 would be a great return.

He has the ability to become a regular goal scorer but the question around his application is the thing that might hold him back.

He needs to be fit and focused from round one if he wants to establish himself as a genuine goal kicking forward.

Ghost Dog
24-02-2012, 11:46 PM
It would be great for the team and player but I wonder how realistic it is. In my opinion 40 goals might be about his limit and 50 would be a great return.

He has the ability to become a regular goal scorer but the question around his application is the thing that might hold him back.

He needs to be fit and focused from round one if he wants to establish himself as a genuine goal kicking forward.

Wonder how he would go down half back. I know we already have enough candidates. Howard was touted as the new Gillbee. But Howard seems a bit more aggressive and has a stronger body. Grant is a bit bob murphy-ish, as the article alludes to.

GVGjr
24-02-2012, 11:54 PM
If, 6 months down the track, it's still not working with this guy, perhaps a switch to half back may be the order of the day.

I would normally back an idea like that to spark a player but he does need to step up this year as a forward especially at the start of the season. Right at this moment I'd only consider that move if he was struggling as a forward from about the half way mark of the season as a way of trying to run him back into form.

Ghost Dog
25-02-2012, 12:05 AM
I would normally back an idea like that to spark a player but he does need to step up this year as a forward especially at the start of the season. Right at this moment I'd only consider that move if he was struggling as a forward from about the half way mark of the season as a way of trying to run him back into form.

Right. Interesting times. Be cheering him on in a major way this season. Get on up Avatar!

Remi Moses
25-02-2012, 04:13 AM
Come on Jarrad time to extract the digit!!!!

Greystache
25-02-2012, 04:32 AM

Agree totally.

Grant needs to step up as a forward and demand opposition attention. Liam Jones is 20 and has only played 20 odd games, we need Grant to be a dangerous option. If teams want to double or triple team Jones, we need Grant to hurt them, otherwise our most promising forward forward will be under the pump from round one.

jeemak
25-02-2012, 04:57 AM
From that article he doesn's sound like a guy who doesn't care about his performance, which is great considering that seemed to be a bit of a knock on him through his actions on the field.

Some players really need to learn about being a balanced person and footballer the hard way, whether they make it from that point is speculative, though if they don't make the realisation they're no chance. Hopefully the comments from Grant in the article aren't all about the required lip service and rhetoric, and he matures into a rounded individual with diverse interests and attributes. He'll be a much better footballer if he gets that right.

I think he is an exceptional talent. He needs to be played deep forward, leading high, then dropping behind the last line of defenders. He has the pace to be effective doing that, hopefully his repeat effort endurance has improved to enable him to do so. Any suggestion that we send a developing forward to the half back line is a bit silly IMO. He needs time and continuity in his best position.

LostDoggy
25-02-2012, 10:01 AM
I think he is an exceptional talent. He needs to be played deep forward, leading high, then dropping behind the last line of defenders. He has the pace to be effective doing that, hopefully his repeat effort endurance has improved to enable him to do so. Any suggestion that we send a developing forward to the half back line is a bit silly IMO. He needs time and continuity in his best position.

This.

One step at a time for where his head is at. If we can get him to be playing a straight forward role, we can develop him later as he gains confidence. He has pace and likes space so I would try exploiting this. It sounds like we need to keep it simple at the start for him and to set it up so that he can be successful.

Before I Die
25-02-2012, 11:52 AM
"A focus has been his aerial work, in particular contested marking. Even in 2010 he took just eight; and last year only seven, when the Dogs' veteran runners Daniel Giansiracusa and Daniel Cross managed 19 and 17 respectively. However, with assistant coach Steven King schooling him on positioning and general physicality, it may well become a strength". (quoted from AFL article)

When he came to us he was being lauded for his contested marking. If he could develop this as a strength at AFL level he would become a very dangerous forward. With his lack of body weight he will never crash packs, but at 192cm and with sticky hands he should still be more than a handful for most players with the pace to match up on him.

strebla
25-02-2012, 12:15 PM
I just think he needs to play the old Murphy role and get to as many contests he can. I am hoping Skinner or Panos can play the FF role with Jones as the centre half forward and Grant on the flank his pace and height there should be a real advantage .

ledge
25-02-2012, 12:20 PM
I tend to think Jones would be better as the CHF.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Jarrad Grant has a unique combination of skills, being a very good mark, fast, tall and with a quick football mind. However my anxiety tells me he has a very poor mentality which leaves his skills unfulfilled. He is like A. Everitt in that regard and the antithesis of a Boyd or Dale Morris who have the mental skill of being able to get the best out of themselves. Instead he shoots himself in the foot. It is hard for this type of player to change their character and mindset. Hopefully this is just my anxiety but talent is nothing without character and application. He needs success and experience. He needs to believe its his ball and that he belongs out there.

the banker
25-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Jarrad Grant has a unique combination of skills, being a very good mark, fast, tall and with a quick football mind. However my anxiety tells me he has a very poor mentality which leaves his skills unfulfilled. He is like A. Everitt in that regard and the antithesis of a Boyd or Dale Morris who have the mental skill of being able to get the best out of themselves. Instead he shoots himself in the foot. It is hard for this type of player to change their character and mindset. Hopefully this is just my anxiety but talent is nothing without character and application. He needs success and experience. He needs to believe its his ball and that he belongs out there.

This

Bulldog Joe
25-02-2012, 02:06 PM

I see Grant as perfectly equipped to play the role that a fully fit Bobby Murphy excelled at in 08/09.

He has terrific pace and good hands and if he just could put in the work with continual leads he would burn off most defenders and become a really creative weapon.

He has been around long enough now to have developed some sort of endurance to play that type of role.

This would also allow Jones to be deeper and become a great one-on-one marking option closer to goal.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-02-2012, 02:18 PM
I see Grant as perfectly equipped to play the role that a fully fit Bobby Murphy excelled at in 08/09.

He has terrific pace and good hands and if he just could put in the work with continual leads he would burn off most defenders and become a really creative weapon.

He has been around long enough now to have developed some sort of endurance to play that type of role.

This would also allow Jones to be deeper and become a great one-on-one marking option closer to goal.

I agree wholeheartedly but he cannot become that player unless he can see himself as that player and that may be very difficult for his personality. Not everyone can do that. If he can't visualise it himself and believe it, it ain't gonna happen.
I remember the first game he played. He would linger near the ball but not go for it. He would get to the contest and wait for it to come to him. He's great with the ball in his hands, but believing you are the one that should have it more than anyone else out there, and getting it, is another skill altogether that comes to many without thinking but if it doesn't come naturally its hard to believe you belong at the level. Nathan Ablett, Shane Loveless, Andres Everitt etc.

mjp
26-02-2012, 06:34 PM

I disagree. He can't kick well enough to hit the 'next' target the way that Murphy is able too. Grant becomes a ball stopper up high - he cannot hit the next target and he knows it, so he is burdened by indecision and slow to move the ball on.

Needs to play deeper.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-02-2012, 06:54 PM
From that article he doesn's sound like a guy who doesn't care about his performance, which is great considering that seemed to be a bit of a knock on him through his actions on the field.

Some players really need to learn about being a balanced person and footballer the hard way, whether they make it from that point is speculative, though if they don't make the realisation they're no chance. Hopefully the comments from Grant in the article aren't all about the required lip service and rhetoric, and he matures into a rounded individual with diverse interests and attributes. He'll be a much better footballer if he gets that right.

You could hardly say that Grant has exceptional talent.
Began to show some ability in 2010 after an injury wracked career. Showed little application and desire last year. An indifferent kicking style is a concern.A rejuvenated Grant to support Liam Jones would do wonders for a forward line that lacks class.

Mantis
26-02-2012, 07:17 PM
I disagree. He can't kick well enough to hit the 'next' target the way that Murphy is able too. Grant becomes a ball stopper up high - he cannot hit the next target and he knows it, so he is burdened by indecision and slow to move the ball on.

Needs to play deeper.

Yep. Probably doesn't have the tank to play a 'high' role too.

He needs to play deep and to use his pace on the lead.

jeemak
26-02-2012, 07:50 PM
You could hardly say that Grant has exceptional talent.
Began to show some ability in 2010 after an injury wracked career. Showed little application and desire last year. An indifferent kicking style is a concern.A rejuvenated Grant to support Liam Jones would do wonders for a forward line that lacks class.

I'm fairly comfortable with saying he does. For me the only skill related query on him is his goal kicking technique, while he has a very good leap and is extremely quick. He is also creative with his hands.

What he hasn't had to this point is the consistent run with his body and attitude. His one good year to date wasn't capitalised on, whether his attitude was poor or he had cooked his own brain with expectation as the article suggests I'm not too sure.

Ghost Dog
26-02-2012, 08:52 PM

Needs to play deeper.

Ok MJP. For me, it's ALL about his ability to kick well or lack of. If he could just finish a bit better, everything would flow from there. He has so many other strings to his bow. Pace, good hands, good brains, tall enough. It all comes back to his foot and that has to be focused on intensively. His ability to kick will tie the package together or leave fans very frustrated. I hope Barry can spend more time with him.
Hally has an action like a well oiled machine - rarely seen one better in recent AFL forward.

ledge
26-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Ok MJP. For me, it's ALL about his ability to kick well or lack of. If he could just finish a bit better, everything would flow from there. He has so many other strings to his bow. Pace, good hands, good brains, tall enough. It all comes back to his foot and that has to be focused on intensively. His ability to kick will tie the package together or leave fans very frustrated. I hope Barry can spend more time with him.
Hally has an action like a well oiled machine - rarely seen one better in recent AFL forward.

Panos if he makes it

BulldogBelle
27-02-2012, 10:03 AM

His endurance is limited

Even playing deep as a defensive forward he doesnt seem to have the mongrel or endurance to chase the oppositions defenders

If he could play deep as a Full Forward, use his pace on the lead, develop his endurance to chase opposition defenders all day, and kick 40+ goals this season we would all be over the moon

Sockeye Salmon
27-02-2012, 11:07 AM
His endurance is limited

Even playing deep as a defensive forward he doesnt seem to have the mongrel or endurance to chase the oppositions defenders

If he could play deep as a Full Forward, use his pace on the lead, develop his endurance to chase opposition defenders all day, and kick 40+ goals this season we would all be over the moon

You left out cure cancer and bring peace to the Middle East

Bulldog Joe
27-02-2012, 04:21 PM

Needs to play deeper.

You are consigning him to deep forward as he can't venture outside 50 if he can't hit a target.

Surely they can build a structure that would have a good ball user going past if his delivery is to remain an issue.

What he does have is good hands without the ability for the real contested mark. He also has terrific pace.

Quick leads and good hands surely makes his best ball winning as the leading target.
When he starts to get plenty of possession he will be contributing much more than he did in 2011.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-02-2012, 01:46 AM
When he was drafted, contested marking as noted as one of his main strengths. In his few early games, he showed this too -- particularly that night v Fletcher in the NAB Cup game.

That element of his game has certainly gone missing (save face for the one he took v Melbourne).

Perhaps the coaches really are playing him out of position, and as a result, his game has hit a downward spiral. We recruited him as a FF -- but we continue to try and make him be a HFF.

When drafted, Grant said he "wanted to be the man" in the forward line. I'd like to see us throw it over to Grant, put him at FF, and say "be" the man.

I can see us treating Liam Jones as Barry Hall, whereby EVERY passage of play gets directed through him, even if he's got four on him.

Ghost Dog
28-02-2012, 08:39 AM
When he was drafted, contested marking as noted as one of his main strengths. In his few early games, he showed this too -- particularly that night v Fletcher in the NAB Cup game.

That element of his game has certainly gone missing (save face for the one he took v Melbourne).

Perhaps the coaches really are playing him out of position, and as a result, his game has hit a downward spiral. We recruited him as a FF -- but we continue to try and make him be a HFF.

When drafted, Grant said he "wanted to be the man" in the forward line. I'd like to see us throw it over to Grant, put him at FF, and say "be" the man.

I can see us treating Liam Jones as Barry Hall, whereby EVERY passage of play gets directed through him, even if he's got four on him.

Like. ( We really need a 'like' button!)

Happy Days
28-02-2012, 10:05 AM

+1, gives him the best chance to fully utilise his skill set.

Raw Toast
28-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Good article and an excellent insight into the pressures faced by emerging footy players, especially those picked high in the draft.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned his crumbing - he's often been our best crumbing forward in the past few years, and I'd like to see him used in a way that allows him to stay down at times, or to use his pace to get to the fall of the ball.

I also don't mind the idea of him getting some confidence off a back flank. Ideally we want him to be a damaging forward, but there's plenty of players who have benefited from a stint down back - though perhaps endurance and ball-movement might be issues here.

Also a bit surprised by MJP's comment re his kicking - I hadn't picked up this weakness. Perhaps he can't spear the ball over distance like Murphy. What Grant can do very well is set up a leading forward which he did a number of times with Hall last year (and with Jones in the intraclub).

Go_Dogs
28-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Also a bit surprised by MJP's comment re his kicking - I hadn't picked up this weakness. Perhaps he can't spear the ball over distance like Murphy. What Grant can do very well is set up a leading forward which he did a number of times with Hall last year (and with Jones in the intraclub).

I tend to agree. He's not a damaging field kick in a Gilbee fashion, but I think he can still be effective in that role. I've always thought his field kicking is better than his set shot goal kicking, so I can sort of see why we want him to play higher.

That being said, I'd be really interested to see how he went playing deep forward with a solid opportunity (ie. more than a week or two) to show what he can do. If he's going to be a better player there, surely that's better for the team as well as the individual. It's not like we have a bunch of proven FF's waiting in the wings.