PDA

View Full Version : NAB Cup Game Day Thread- Bulldogs vs Carlton

Greystache
01-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Western Bulldogs v Carlton (Etihad Stadium, Sunday 5.40pm)

BULLDOGS

1 JARRAD GRANT, 2 ROBERT MURPHY, 3 MITCH WALLIS, 4 DANIEL CROSS, 5 MATTHEW BOYD, 7 SHAUN HIGGINS, 8 PATRICK VESZPREMI, 10 EASTON WOOD, 12 TOM WILLIAMS, 13 DANIEL GIANSIRACUSA, 14 CLAY SMITH, 15 JASON TUTT, 16 RYAN GRIFFEN, 17 ADAM COONEY, 19 LIAM JONES, 21 TOM LIBERATORE, 22 DYLAN ADDISON, 23 JORDAN ROUGHEAD, 25 RYAN HARGRAVE, 27 WILL MINSON, 29 TORY DICKSON, 30 CHRISTIAN HOWARD, 36 BRIAN LAKE, 37 LUKAS MARKOVIC, 40 LUKE DAHLHAUS, 41 ANDREW HOOPER, 42 LIAM PICKEN, 48 MATTHEW PANOS, 49 AYCE CORDY

CARLTON

2. Jordan Russell, 3. Marc Murphy, 4. Bryce Gibbs, 6. Kade Simpson, 7. Dylan Buckley, 8. Matthew Kreuzer, 9. Kane Lucas, 10. Matthew Watson, 13. Chris Yarran, 14. Brock McLean, 15. Jeremy Laidler, 16. Andrew Collins, 17. Sam Rowe, 18. Paul Bower, 19. Eddie Betts, 21. Josh Bootsma, 22. Shaun Hampson, 23. Lachie Henderson, 29. Heath Scotland, 31. Marcus Davies, 32. Bret Thornton, 35. Ed Curnow, 38. Jeff Garlett, 39. Frazer Dale, 41. Levi Casboult, 42. Zach Tuohy, 44. Andrew Carrazzo, 45. Aaron Joseph, 46. David Ellard

The Bulldogs Bite
01-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Good to see Lake and Cooney back -- will watch with interest.

Also good to see Cordy, Panos, Dickson and Smith still in the side. Will be interesting to see if any of these guys can consolidate a position for round one.

LostDoggy
01-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Who is missing at Carlton apart from Judd and Jamieson? Waite.

mjp
01-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Carlton very poor last week. They will be looking to make a statement and all of our pre-season rhetoric about contested footy is about to be put to the 'walk the walk' test.

Go_Dogs
01-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Carlton very poor last week. They will be looking to make a statement and all of our pre-season rhetoric about contested footy is about to be put to the 'walk the walk' test.

Throwing everything on the line in a game that means nothing? No doubt we need to be competitive, but really the best result will be no injuries and some players getting some time on the field. If Carlton want to play like it's a grand final, let them.

Greystache
01-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Who is missing at Carlton apart from Judd and Jamieson? Waite.

Walker and Robinson is about it.

Greystache
01-03-2012, 09:13 PM

It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds. I think Carlton are susceptible physically, so hopefully we really knock them about. Give them time and space and they're good front runners.

Mantis
01-03-2012, 09:18 PM
How many play? We have named 29 which seems a big squad if we only play 22.

I was considering going, but I ain't paying $20 to watch a glorified practice match...

westdog54
01-03-2012, 09:46 PM

I was considering going, but I ain't paying $20 to watch a glorified practice match...

Agree with this, $20 is a stretch. Personally I'm not sure that Etihad is viable for NAB Cup games, bar the final and may be the semis. Part of the pre-season is taking the game to areas where it doesn't normally go, and I think that larger country venues should be more utilised where possible.

Would love to see Cooney and Lake get through the game unscathed.

Interesting to see how Sam Rowe goes.

Greystache
01-03-2012, 09:56 PM

Squads of 29- Teams of 21 + 1, at halftime teams can make up to 7 changes for the 2nd half, again playing 21 + 1.

If it weren't for AFL members getting in free I wouldn't be going either, I cant see there being more than a handful of people there.

BulldogBelle
01-03-2012, 10:54 PM

Agree with this, $20 is a stretch. Personally I'm not sure that Etihad is viable for NAB Cup games, bar the final and may be the semis. Part of the pre-season is taking the game to areas where it doesn't normally go, and I think that larger country venues should be more utilised where possible.

I would have thought that $20 is extremely cheap. I am perplexed by this attitude.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-03-2012, 11:05 PM
I would have thought that $20 is extremely cheap. I am perplexed by this attitude.

Are you being serious?

They should be free.

westdog54
01-03-2012, 11:06 PM

$20 is only marginally cheaper than General Admission. I'd pay it during the H&A season (I don't have a full game day membership as I live in Westen Victoria), but not for the pre-season.

Hope that clears it up for you.

AndrewP6
01-03-2012, 11:21 PM
I'd be more inclined to go if they paid me $20

BulldogBelle
02-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Well you live and learn about human nature.

You guys just wouldn't pay $20 to see your beloved Bulldogs in a practice match. Its not that you can't afford it, you just do not attend on principle. $20 is really bugger-all.
This is one for Ripley's 'Believe it or not" series.

How many other people have the same opinion?

DragzLS1
02-03-2012, 12:41 AM

You guys just wouldn't pay $20 to see your beloved Bulldogs in a practice match. Its not that you can't afford it, you just do not attend on principle. $20 is really bugger-all.

Lol I spend $16 on a skittles bomb that last me about 10 seconds so $20 is really stuff all! For a regular season would be nice though :) but NAB cup should really be half that price IMO.. Either way if it's to watch my beloved dogs money isn't really a factor.

westdog54
02-03-2012, 12:45 AM

I can watch my beloved bulldogs in a practice match from the comfort of my home.

Why should I pay money that will go straight to the AFL and Etihad stadium when I can save my money for the Home and Away season when the club will benefit?

Pretty believeable and perfectly rational and reasonable. Don't agree, that's fine, but don't make out like we're contributing to the demise of the human race because we choose to spend our money wisely.

ratsmac
02-03-2012, 01:09 AM
I'm a AFL member so it's free for me :D Well I've pre paid maybe :( I'd pay the $20 regardless. That's less than your average shout these days.

Greystache
02-03-2012, 01:11 AM

If $20 for a practice match is a bargain, would you be happy for the club to start charging $10 to attend training?

BulldogBelle
02-03-2012, 05:57 AM
Oh for God's sake.
Just PM me and I'll send you a few bucks, maybe a food package.
Pitiful.

chef
02-03-2012, 08:30 AM

I would happily pay $20.

Desipura
02-03-2012, 09:24 AM

Not me, I pay $450.00 so I can see the dogs play all games including NAB cup.
If I just had a bulldogs membership, paying the $20.00, it would still be cheaper than an AFL membership.

Mantis
02-03-2012, 09:40 AM

It's also being played in a shocking time slot which is made for pay TV watchers which won't help drawing fans to this one.

Also I am running a bit low this month so send food stamps to:

Attn: Mantis
c/o Whitten Oval.

the banker
02-03-2012, 09:40 AM
It costs money to stage these things. $20 at Etihad is fine. They may have to close the roof. Home and away $20+ a very fair price

Mofra
02-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Throwing everything on the line in a game that means nothing?
"Train the way you play"

I wouldn't want our guys taking the foot off the pedal when they think a game means nothing - habits are habits.

Templeton31
02-03-2012, 11:05 AM

my thoughts exactly. seems unlikely Blues will be taking it easy after two losses so get to see how hard at it we really are and possibly how non-existent our fwd line really is.

Mantis
02-03-2012, 11:38 AM
"Train the way you play"

I wouldn't want our guys taking the foot off the pedal when they think a game means nothing - habits are habits.

Especially considering we have a new coach with new ideas we would see a pretty committed team getting itself ready for season proper.

DragzLS1
02-03-2012, 12:01 PM
I cant wait for this our first proper full game before the season starts against a good opposition. Love to see the way we play and am really excited to see Brian back in the side.. If I see him leave his man to come 3rd man up over the top of markovic to spoil and we hit carlton on the rebound im going to be very excited about this season! Love watching Lake play and hopefully Cooney get have a good run with no issues..

LostDoggy
02-03-2012, 01:40 PM
If $20 for a practice match is a bargain, would you be happy for the club to start charging $10 to attend training?

Great idea! Maybe they should — gold coin donation. Club needs every shiny dollar.

And yeah, after months of no footy, $20 is a bargain (to me at least) just to see them run out.

"Train the way you play"

Especially considering we have a new coach with new ideas we would see a pretty committed team getting itself ready for season proper.

Agree. We have statements of our own to make. As long as we're not injuring ourselves, go hard says I!

Don't feed the troll.

bornadog
02-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Oh for God's sake.
Pitiful.

Can I have a free food pack:D

Seriously though, why do you care. People don't want to pay so be it. The money doesn't go to the club.

jeemak
02-03-2012, 11:58 PM
I'd happily pay the $20 and I was going to, but was fortunate enough to pick up some Medallion Club seats through work. Just looking forward to see some of the younger guys have a run around.

Also interested to see if I can pick up any differences in ball movement patterns and defense compared to last year. Not expecting a lot at this early stage of the year, of course.

Hopefully we're competitive, and we don't get any injuries.

KT31
03-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Oh for God's sake.
Pitiful.

So from a forum you can decide who can and can't afford to see the Dogs play.
In the past these games were, and should, included in your membership.
You mention how much you pay and do not live near or make many games.
You certainly are not on your own here.
This is just a heads up for you but there is many a contributor to this site that does a lot more than you or I could even conceive to do for the Dogs.
To call any member pitiful from your point is pretty ordinary.
Maybe from our behalf you could donate some money to the Mods, who do an excellent job and use their own money to keep this site running.
Apologise to the Mods and we should get this forum back on track.

AndrewP6
03-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Oh for God's sake.
Pitiful.

Sorry to shoot down your oh-so-well-worded argument, but it's not simply financial constraints keeping me away. Rather,it's a complete lack of interest in trekking into the city to see a practise match that no one gives a fat rat's about. And if I went, I'd be paying a price equivalent to the entry fee, simply to have an adult beverage - which of course, I would surely want to have! (did I mention it's a practise match that no one gives a fat rat's about?)

Eastdog
03-03-2012, 01:31 AM
Im planning to go to the match as its my Birthday on Sunday as well.

Bulldog4life
03-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Im planning to go to the match as its my Birthday on Sunday as well.

Happy birthday for Sunday Eastdog. Hope you see a win.

ledge
03-03-2012, 11:26 AM

He will see a win one way or the other:D

Bulldog4life
03-03-2012, 11:29 AM
He will see a win one way or the other:D

Good one. Let's hope he sees a doggie's win.:)

SlimPickens
03-03-2012, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE=westdog54;257609]Agree with this, $20 is a stretch. Personally I'm not sure that Etihad is viable for NAB Cup games, bar the final and may be the semis. Part of the pre-season is taking the game to areas where it doesn't normally go, and I think that larger country venues should be more utilised where possible. [QUOTE]

Just to clarify the AFL set the pricing for the NAB cup and all their games actually. $20 is the exact same price St Kilda and Essendon fans a paying to watch their teams run around at Wangaratta Show grounds. I agree it is steep for preseason game.

Eastdog
03-03-2012, 05:00 PM

Thanks Bulldog4life. Hopefully we can win but I'm not expecting high quality just another solid hit out.

Dazza
04-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Do our memberships get us into this game?

*Bulldogs memberships.

Dry Rot
04-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Back to the actual game, what are people's expectations?

Hard to judge much from the funny format games of last week.

GVGjr
04-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Do our memberships get us into this game?

*Bulldogs memberships.

No they don't. Your membership is for the home and away season not the NAB cup or the finals.

GVGjr
04-03-2012, 12:28 PM

My expectation is to see an improved level of skills and to see some more run than the previous game. We should also see a better structure.
We normally have some good contests against the Blues and I hope tonight is no different.

Desipura
04-03-2012, 12:30 PM
My expectation is to see an improved level of skills and to see some more run than the previous game. We should also see a better structure.
We normally have some good contests against the Blues and I hope tonight is no different.

I'm assuming improved level of skill is in comparison to last week? Sorry just reread Dry Rots post.

GVGjr
04-03-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm assuming improved level of skill is in comparison to last week? Sorry just reread Dry Rots post.

Well two weeks back when we were pitted against the Pies and GWS

Greystache
04-03-2012, 03:31 PM

I'll be interested to seem our new game plan in action in a semi-serious hit out. Seeing as foot skills didn't seem a priority in the recent draft, and that our skills in general are in the bottom group of teams in the competition, I assume the coach has a game style in mind that won't be relying on precision delivery by foot.

Given our focus on contested footy has been there for all to see in the preseason, I assume we'll have seen the end of the play on at all costs style, which I think is a good thing as it didn't suit the playing list we've got at all.

Whether we play with a strong defensive approach going forward, I'm not too sure yet, but I'd think it would be at least a larger focus.

I'm really looking forward to tonight, despite having watched a lot of the preseason I'm still not quite sure what to epexct to see.

Before I Die
04-03-2012, 03:39 PM
I'll be interested to seem our new game plan in action in a semi-serious hit out. Seeing as foot skills didn't seem a priority in the recent draft, and that our skills in general are in the bottom group of teams in the competition, I assume the coach has a game style in mind that won't be relying on precision delivery by foot.

Given our focus on contested footy has been there for all to see in the preseason, I assume we'll have seen the end of the play on at all costs style, which I think is a good thing as it didn't suit the playing list we've got at all.

Whether we play with a strong defensive approach going forward, I'm not too sure yet, but I'd think it would be at least a larger focus.

I'm really looking forward to tonight, despite having watched a lot of the preseason I'm still not quite sure what to epexct to see.

Well put. I think in the pre-season there is also aways the hope to see one of the new recruits do something special which augers well for the future, and/or one of the younger players show a new maturity and presence on the field.

AndrewP6
04-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Heartbreaking early fall results in a shoulder injury to Tommy Williams - his 'good' shoulder too. Seemed not too hard a fall, but he's been subbed out and looks disconsolate. Poor bloke can't take a trick..

Briza has looked pretty good, considering he spent much of 2011 "out of sorts', according to the moron commentator. Coons too doesn't look bad, kicked a nice goal. Smith a tough nut, and Grant kicked a nice goal early.

Bulldog4life
04-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Heartbreaking early fall results in a shoulder injury to Tommy Williams. Seemed not too hard a fall, but he's been subbed out and looks disconsolate.

Briza has looked pretty good, considering he spent much of 2011 "out of sorts', according to the moron commentator. Coons too doesn't look bad, kicked a nice goal. Smith a tough nut, and Grant kicked a nice goal early.

Yes Brian is playing like last year never happened! Great to see.

AndrewP6
04-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Willllbur kicks his second on quarter time, couple of good grabs from the big fella.

Go_Dogs
04-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Willllbur kicks his second on quarter time, couple of good grabs from the big fella.

Agreed.

We're looking ok at the moment. Clay Smith a positive, and Addison looking alright again.

Has Cordy moved ahead of Roughead in the pecking order?

The Coon Dog
04-03-2012, 07:15 PM
How bad did the footage of Laidler's dislocated knee look? I felt ill.

Clay Smith with 3 free kicks certainly puts his head over the ball, kicks like Coll's Ben Johnson.

Happy with what I've seen of Brian Lake so far.

Couple of nice clunks by Will.

Gia pivotal in most of the forward thrusts.

ledge
04-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Short kicking and looking around more is one of Maccas new ideas by the look of it.
Seem ok but get Murphy off Betts.

Mantis
04-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Seem ok but get Murphy off Betts.

He was only on him for 5min.

We haven't got much depth down there with no Morris who usually owns Eddie.

AndrewP6
04-03-2012, 07:22 PM
How bad did the footage of Laidler's dislocated knee look? I felt ill.

It sure did look ordinary...and yet Tommygun's fall seemed innocuous enough, and it looks like he's on the shelf again!:eek:

ledge
04-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Some really strange free kicks seem to be paid just to show new rules when they arent there

AndrewP6
04-03-2012, 07:31 PM
IMO Vez has done a few good things, hard at the contest, some good hands.

AndrewP6
04-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Some really strange free kicks seem to be paid just to show new rules when they arent there

To me, the rule makers have overcomplicated the game, when the whistleblowers already struggle with the basics.

ledge
04-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Clay Smith is looking good first up, Cordy is doing the job but Jones hasnt been sighted

Go_Dogs
04-03-2012, 07:37 PM
IMO Vez has done a few good things, hard at the contest, some good hands.

I haven't quite seen it that way. Not quite as clean with his ball use and I think a little slow making a decision. I'm certainly not writing him off, but he hasn't quite won me over yet.

AndrewP6
04-03-2012, 07:38 PM
I haven't quite seen it that way. Not quite as clean with his ball use and I think a little slow making a decision. I'm certainly not writing him off, but he hasn't quite won me over yet.

But we knew that about him...;)

Bulldog4life
04-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Happy with our skills and style of play. Even though it is early I definitely don't think it will all be doom and gloom this year.

ledge
04-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Should be further in front if we are looking at scoreboard, but we are doing okay with a few coming through, probably relying on Gia a bit too much, but happy with Will and Grant.

kruder
04-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Smith has hit his targets with most kicks. Has been really impressive.....

SonofScray
04-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Ridiculous 'preseason' rules are making this game almost unwatchable for me.

Will has shown some ability in the marking, hand passing and kicking aspects of the game. I'm enjoying watching him play well. I think he gives away silly free kicks, but does anyone believe the last two he copped, a 50m penalty and the too high in the F50 would be paid more than 75% of the time, or at all if it wasn't Will?

Smith is a player already. We'll get good value from him over the years.

Ayce is looking good again. Showed some of the stronger aspects of his skillset in really competitive situations, he'll play a role this season.

Grant is having an OK day out, looks like he has carried his good side into this game, rather than the laconic, sour attitude he often shows.

Bulldog4life
Tommy has a dislocated shoulder. Anyone know what is the approx. time for that to heal?

LostDoggy

I agree completely but reckon if we keep playing him he will get up to speed..way more upside than down.

LostDoggy
04-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Should be further in front if we are looking at scoreboard, but we are doing okay with a few coming through, probably relying on Gia a bit too much, but happy with Will and Grant.

Disagree about Grant. Our expectations should be higher. If a couple of his kicks hadn't been so lazy we would have been two goals further up. And
he still can't lock the ball in when he needs to.

Rance Fan
04-03-2012, 07:57 PM
The umps love to crucify Will! Just cos hes bigger n stronger!...Hmm ok he does give away the odd silly free but gee!

Lot of good signs so far!

ledge
04-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Tommy has a dislocated shoulder. Anyone know what is the approx. time for that to heal?

Depends on the muscle damage around it, if the ligaments stretched or tore.

Drunken Bum
04-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Will has shown some ability in the marking, hand passing and kicking aspects of the game. I'm enjoying watching him play well. I think he gives away silly free kicks, but does anyone believe the last two he copped, a 50m penalty and the too high in the F50 would be paid more than 75% of the time, or at all if it wasn't Will?

Was thinking the exact same thing myself, thought they were paid purely because of Minno's reputation.
I think he has been great, i know i am a bit of a Will fanboi but i really think he can step up a level or two playing as first ruck and resting in the forward line. Clearly his best position is 1st ruck and it is now his spot to lose without Huddo there.
Seriously considering him as a value ruck in SC before upgrading to cox later in the season when he drops.

SonofScray
The umps love to crucify Will! Just cos hes bigger n stronger!...Hmm ok he does give away the odd silly free but gee!

Lot of good signs so far!

I think so.

KT31
Darcy comment about finally having someone decent in 14.:D

Bulldog4life
Depends on the muscle damage around it, if the ligaments stretched or tore.

Thanks Ledge. Just got to hope for the best.Bad news for Tom and the dogs.

GVGjr
04-03-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm very happy that Will is putting in a strong performance and I have enjoyed the efforts of Grant, Veszpremi and Liberatore. Hargrave and Lake have looked OK.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Better attempts at using the ball has been a feature. Lake's return certainly a positive. Good signs from Smith and Libba in the midfield. Roughead, Markovic,Wallis and Dickson have all started in the 3rd quarter after missing the first half. Lake has been rested. Bulldogs up by 7 points two minutes in.

Before I Die
04-03-2012, 08:26 PM

SEN just said, apparently based on info from the club, best case 8 weeks, worst case 16 weeks.

ledge
04-03-2012, 08:28 PM
How dirty is Caruzzo, guessing he wont see the rest of NAB cup

ledge
04-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Big Will!!!

AndrewP6
04-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Another great grab and kick from Willlbur, soured by another defensive breakdown that gives Betts his fifth...

ledge
04-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Can someone tell me What Dahlhaus did wrong?

The Bulldogs Bite
04-03-2012, 08:36 PM
I'll elaborate after, but I've seen a lot of good signs.

One bad sign is still Match Willis. His disposal amazes me; it's absolutely pathetic.

AndrewP6
04-03-2012, 08:37 PM
I'll elaborate after, but I've seen a lot of good signs.

One bad sign is still Match Willis. His disposal amazes me; it's absolutely pathetic.

Sounds like a character from Miami Vice :)

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Bulldogs by 2 points at three quarter time. Big Will has 4 goals and been very good. Eddie Betts with 5 goals has been too good for Murphy.
Hargrave has come back well. Very impressed with Libba who has stepped up in the midfield. Boyd and Griffen with 21 possessions each still our two guns.

AndrewP6
04-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Dogs pinch it inside a minute, Tory Dickson with a nice snap seals the win.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Dogs by 4 points after great left foot snap by Dickson with 53 seconds to go. A good fighting win.

azabob
04-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Dogs pinch it inside a minute, Tory Dickson with a nice snap seals the win.

What was Higgins mark like in the last few secs?

chef
04-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Wow. That was exciting from a NAB cup match.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Sounds like a character from Miami Vice :)

Wow, that was some stuff up on my behalf :o

Very good. He went back with the flight.

Great to get a win like that, even if it is NAB Cup. Some really encouraging signs today.

bornadog
04-03-2012, 09:10 PM

I am with you, Vez still has a long way to getting in the best 22.

AndrewP6
04-03-2012, 09:11 PM

Read it well, made good position.

bornadog
04-03-2012, 09:12 PM
How dirty is Caruzzo, guessing he wont see the rest of NAB cup

Dirty little bugger, what about the smack in the mouth to Higgins

The Bulldogs Bite
04-03-2012, 09:14 PM

I wouldn't say a long way.

Who are the 21 others picked ahead of him?

AndrewP6
04-03-2012, 09:14 PM

True enough, but my original comment was simply that he'd done a few good things.

LostDoggy
04-03-2012, 09:18 PM

Pretty good mark, read it nicely. More importantly he should have sealed the win when he was tripped right in front of goal which wasn't called

bornadog
04-03-2012, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't say a long way.

Who are the 21 others picked ahead of him?

I am not going to waste my time right now picking the best 22.

He tried hard tonight, but his kicking accuracy is woeful, he is slow and decision making is poor. I actually prefer Addison to Vez at this stage, but if he improves great.

Bulldog4life
04-03-2012, 09:21 PM
SEN just said, apparently based on info from the club, best case 8 weeks, worst case 16 weeks.

Thanks for that Before I Die

GVGjr
04-03-2012, 09:22 PM

Well they displayed that pretty much to what I was hoping for.
Hargrave is in good form and hopefully will have a strong season. Minson's marking was a feature as was Liberatore's work in close quarters. I was worried about how Dahlhaus might perform in his 2nd season but he was great today.

ledge
04-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Its only NAB but its always good to beat the scum in the dying minutes.
A few good signs, considering Carlton are a premiership push Mc Cartney coached well I thought and he is only learning.

Bulldog4life
04-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Young Clay Smith shows enough to press for selection in the first match. Just love his attack on the ball. Thought his disposal was ok too. I was expecting a lot worse than that.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-03-2012, 09:28 PM
I am not going to waste my time right now picking the best 22.

He tried hard tonight, but his kicking accuracy is woeful, he is slow and decision making is poor. I actually prefer Addison to Vez at this stage, but if he improves great.

Addison is 10x slower and his disposal 10x worse. He's also had 10x more opportunities at this level.

Veszpremi has some things he needs to work on, such as his decision making, but he's learning a new position and we need to give him game time. His disposal wasn't great tonight, but it's been accurate in every other game (both in previous seasons and in the intra club & first NAB cup game). Simply have to inject games into the likes of him, Howard, Tutt and Cordy.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Young Clay Smith shows enough to press for selection in the first match. Just love his attack on the ball. Thought his disposal was ok too. I was expecting a lot worse than that.

Thought he was really impressive too.

His disposal looked fine. Awkward action, Ben Johnson-esque, but effective nevertheless.

Go_Dogs
04-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Addison is 10x slower and his disposal 10x worse. He's also had 10x more opportunities at this level.

How did you rate his game tonight? I thought his disposal was pretty good, he took a good grab and contested pretty well. I think he might be right in line for a round 1 selection.

Ghost Dog
04-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Was thinking the exact same thing myself, thought they were paid purely because of Minno's reputation.
I think he has been great, i know i am a bit of a Will fanboi but i really think he can step up a level or two playing as first ruck and resting in the forward line. Clearly his best position is 1st ruck and it is now his spot to lose without Huddo there.
Seriously considering him as a value ruck in SC before upgrading to cox later in the season when he drops.

How good was Will in the forward line? Gave some bloke a shove and his patella fell off. Plucked a monster grab. Slotted a few. Give him a slap!

Gia - copped quite a bit tonight and was not rewarded by the umps. Not happy Jan.

Eddie Betts could have had more. Ran rings around Bob Murpy.

Brian Lake! fantastic work, marking and passing out of the back half and not afraid to run down the ground.

Shaggy - come on woofers. get excited. He had his fumbles ( deliberate out of bounds was a shocker, and some awful kicking, 16.26 in the 1Q) but is he cool under pressure or what? It's the Shaggy of old! Some great plays and poise.

Higgins - alright, he did some good things, but check out the replay of a contested mark with Chris Yarran, where he slows to a jog and Yarran bounds away without so much as a chase? Not convinced.

Tory Dickson! Shows a bit of mongrel. Mitch Wallis. Much maligned by woofers I noticed tonight but I thought he did ok and puts his boof head in there. A bit Daniel Cross like, who ( by the way ) with Boyd, just keep putting their ugly heads over that leather so often you kind of take it for granted.

DOGS!!!! GO DOGS ( I wish there was a bolder font than bold or a bigger caps than caps...sigh)

Dog54
04-03-2012, 09:33 PM
I thought Howard was very disappointing tonight. Expect him to find more of the footy.

Minson showed some great confidence and held very mark. He usually drops a lot of marks and I think confidence knowing he is number one will see him improve this year.

Cordy can definitely play games this year and I think we have 3 good ruck / forward options and should use them wisely and manage games and game time.

LostDoggy
04-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Wow. That was exciting from a NAB cup match.

I thought so... I enjoyed it.

The bad.. Toms injury, the foxtel recording stopping 2 minutes Before the end, a bit worried about Mitch.

The good.. Lots! Go Will!

The you beauty... Perennial lunch bet with a blues supporter at work

bornadog
04-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Hargrave is in good form and hopefully will have a strong season. Minson's marking was a feature as was Liberatore's work in close quarters. I was worried about how Dahlhaus might perform in his 2nd season but he was great today.

What did you think of the game plan? Lots of short passing and waiting for options then a long kick into the forward line? Also, when we didn't have the ball, we went man on man? Anyone else pick up anything?

NoName
04-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Good win IMO.

bornadog
04-03-2012, 09:39 PM

Veszpremi has some things he needs to work on, such as his decision making, but he's learning a new position and we need to give him game time. His disposal wasn't great tonight, but it's been accurate in every other game (both in previous seasons and in the intra club & first NAB cup game). Simply have to inject games into the likes of him, Howard, Tutt and Cordy.

Believe me, I don't rate Addison at all. As I said, lets see how he develops.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-03-2012, 09:40 PM

I thought Markovic was very good and looks the ideal replacement for the injured Tom Williams at CHB. I would have liked to see Tutt play.
Is he injured? Libber was very good which should help offset the loss of Ward. Agree on Hargrave he was very good. Grant looked a lot better after an indifferent 2011. A feature in the win was an improvement in disposal with a greater intent to look for a teammate in a better position.

Ghost Dog
04-03-2012, 09:44 PM

Addison had a mixed bag tonight. Some shocking handpassing skills, I'm actually thinking he's better by foot than by hand, if that is possible. But he went back with the flight and was good in close. He's got a big ticker and I reckon if he plays to his strengths he'll fill a role. Might not be everyone's fav player but the Saints almost won a premiership with a whole team of blokes like him

Dahlhaus was dangerous tonight. Noticed they were marking him pretty carefully. Nice to see Liam Jones come over and fly the flag a bit and look after the grommit.

kruder
04-03-2012, 09:45 PM
I thought Markovic was very good and looks the ideal replacement for the injured Tom Williams at CHB. I would have liked to see Tutt play.
Is he injured? Libber was very good which should help offset the loss of Ward. Agree on Hargrave he was very good. Grant looked a lot better after an indifferent 2011. A feature in the win was an improvement in disposal with a greater intent to look for a teammate in a better position.

Agree. Markovic was excellent.

bornadog
Might not be everyone's players but the Saints almost won a premiership with a whole team of blokes like him.

Are you serious GD? The big difference is the Saints have skilled players.

stefoid
Cooney?

Maddog37
04-03-2012, 09:46 PM
We looked like an honest team of solid footballers.

bornadog
04-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Cooney?

Nine possessions in half a game of footy, did some nice things but needs match practise.

Bulldog Revolution
04-03-2012, 09:49 PM

Yep, Minson was terrific and Libbas hands were and vision were super.

PLUS - Brian looked sharper than we reasonably could have expected. Gia, Griffen and Boyd were their usual selves. Wood was very solid.

I thought it was a good performance - heaps of room for improvement but the effort was good

GVGjr
04-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Markovic is very much the spare parts defender that will do the job for you and yes he will need to step up and cover Williams even when Morris gets back.
I liked Grants effort in the first half.

I don't believe Tutt is injured so next week will tell the story if he is in the mix.

I should add that I have been critical of the progress Cordy has made in his time with us but he is showing a bit at the moment.

GVGjr
04-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Yep, Minson was terrific and Libbas hands were and vision were super.

PLUS - Brian looked sharper than we reasonably could have expected. Gia, Griffen and Boyd were their usual selves. Wood was very solid.

I thought it was a good performance - heaps of room for improvement but the effort was good

All very good points. plenty of scope for improvement but Lake is ahead of schedule I would have thought and there is still some life in the old stagers.

ledge
04-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Markovic is very much the spare parts defender that will do the job for you and yes he will need to step up and cover Williams even when Morris gets back.

I don't believe Tutt is injured so next week will tell the story if he is in the mix.

I should add that I have been critical of the progress Cordy has made in his time with us but he is showing a bit at the moment.

Imagine him resting in the forward line when he uses his body well, hard to stop.

Ghost Dog
04-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Are you serious GD? The big difference is the Saints have skilled players.

Are people here prepared to forget previous seasons and allow Dylan Addison to prove his worth to this club? or is everyong going to take bad credit from previous seasons and continue to pot him. His Game wasn't THAT bad tonight. He contributed , he made some errors, showed some courage, fluffed a few easy ones, but showed his commitment. to say he is not skilled is far from the truth. He simply wouldn't be there if he didn't offer something to the club.

I'm rapt about tonight's performance. Carlton were missing Judd, Jarrad Waite and Andrew Walker, but they did have Garlett, Murphy and Yarran and some other handy players. We showed great heart tonight.

We have a variety of players with different strengths- challenging match ups for most opposition clubs.

azabob
04-03-2012, 09:55 PM

Tutt may have injured himself in the VFL.

Bulldog Revolution
04-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Nine possessions in half a game of footy, did some nice things but needs match practise.

A bit rusty, should be better for the run

I also thought Grant was ok early - Jones tried hard, and did some good things

Cordy and Roughie have improved

GVGjr
04-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Tutt may have injured himself in the VFL.

I guess people are wondering why he wasn't in the side. For whatever reason I think he has had a pre-season that has primarily focused on improving his strength and he might not have done the required running/

I hope he is OK.

Doggy
04-03-2012, 10:05 PM
The Hun is reporting Williams is out for 8 weeks at best, could even be 16 if he requires a full reconstruction.

When is Morris due back?

Mantis
04-03-2012, 10:08 PM
When is Morris due back?

Reported a few weeks back that he will miss at least the first month of the season.

I wouldn't be expecting much from him until the 2nd half of the season.

LostDoggy
04-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Gunna pull out the ole Slaps and Sledges. 2 of each.

Slap - Big Willbur. God I hope he can provide something very similar to that in the real season. Rotating him with Roughie or Ayce. Boy that was good to see.
Slap - Lake. Brian is back and looks very comfortable in his own skin and confident..complete opposite of last year.
Sledge - Tom Williams' body. Head in hands when I saw him in pain. Poor bloke can't take a trick! He only has 2 shoulders and now their both stuffed!
Sledge - Foxtel. with 3 minutes remaining I got the dreaded 'end of recorded programme'. Was happy to log on to find out Dicko nailed the winner :D

always right
04-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Lots of positives tonight...and to be fair, pretty much what Macartney has been promising. Strong at the contest, good pressure on the ball carrier, disciplined structure and patience with the ball in hand.

Really impressed with Lake's half...no-one could have expected that first up. Wood and Hargreave excellent in defence all night, Markovoc only played on a young bloke but dominated him as you would hope.

Cordy a big positive from the night. Just looked comfortable out there, even in the ruck contests and is surely ahead of Roughead for round one at this stage. Big Will seemed to enjoy the responsibility of being the main ruckman....quite a commanding performance from Will tonight when it looked like Kreuzer was on top at the beginning. Loved the work of Dahlhaus...he's such an energiser for this side.

Great hands from Libba and typically strong games from the usual suspects, Boyd, Gia and Griffen.

Really good even performance tonight with the only downside William's injury and a disappointing effort from Howard.

GVGjr
04-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Sledge - Tom Williams' body. Head in hands when I saw him in pain. Poor bloke can't take a trick! He only has 2 shoulders and now their both stuffed!

I think it's a tough call to sledge someone who got injured. He's very unlucky and so are we to lose him.

LostDoggy
04-03-2012, 10:16 PM
I think it's a tough call to sledge someone who got injured. He's very unlucky and so are we to lose him.

More of a frustrated silly one GVG at his body, not Tom himself, unfortunately lets him down :mad:

ledge
04-03-2012, 10:19 PM
More of a frustrated silly one GVG at his body, not Tom himself, unfortunately lets him down :mad:

If the body isnt part of yourself what is??:D

LostDoggy
04-03-2012, 10:25 PM
If the body isnt part of yourself what is??:D

...good point haha.

Sledge Retracted.

The other Sledge can goto the umps & Nab Cup "Rules" for that ridiculous free kick against Minson for "making contact" with a Carlton player before coming to the ruck contest? WTF are they doing to our game? :mad:

choconmientay
04-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Just came back from the game. It was entertaining for four quarters. Liked the games of Minson (beautiful mark and he kicked straight :), Libba, Lake, Dalhaus, Markovic. Good effort from Grant, Cordy, Smith.

I didn't see much from Howard and didn't like the game of young Wallis. Both of them still have a long way to go.

Most disappointing for me is one of our Bulldogs supporter behind the goal. He sat direct behind me. I thought he was feral and quite abusive towards Carlton players and umpires. Normally I don't mind loud fans but he used a bit of foul languages. At one stage I did asked him to "mind his languages" because there were a lot of kids around (including my 6/8 years old) ... however he blatantly replied "This is behind the goal" and make a gesture that it is how it always should be. Luckily he contained himself after that otherwise I would have asked Security to intervene.

Other than that, a happy footy day :) specially a win against Carlton.

GVGjr
04-03-2012, 10:33 PM

I get that. He was an important player for us given no one was a 100% certain how Brian would come back. It has now opened a spot for Markovic who hasn't done much wrong.

dog town
04-03-2012, 10:40 PM
More positives than negatives out of that game.I thought we controlled the game for the most part and we played to a specific game plan which is important (shows buy in from the players). The parts of the game that Carlton got control of were largely preventable and reasonably easy to fix. Points of interest for me

* The style we played lended itself to plenty of one out chances for our forwards after the blues pushed up to stop the short kicking. The problem was that we didn't take advantage of this. No surprises that our forward line may be an issue this season. Thought we could have used the ball a little smarter going forward as well.

* Betts kicked 5 on Murphy but I would be shocked if he did that sort of damage to us in the season proper.

* The style we played has elements of Hawthorn and Collingwood about it. We seem to be using short kicking (like Hawthorn) to control the game and keep the footy. I dont think we are as attacking with it as Hawthorn can be though and we seem to do it to more protected areas (like Collingwood) along the boundary. If nothing is on we go long to a tall and cause a pack or stoppage. Going to be very interesting to see how it progresses. I guess it plays to our strengths. If we turn it over it usually results in a stoppage or contest which I believe are our strengths. The kicking side of it takes some skill but these guys are professionals and a 15-30 metre spot up pass is not that difficult. It relies more on work rate and organisation to free someone up than the actual skill. We will need very good onfield leadership and organisation to play this brand of football. Both the execution and the actual decision making of when to slow the game up when to attack etc will need the players all being on the same page. No idea whether it will work or not but I am impressed that the players followed a definitive style so closely. Getting them to buy in is half the battle.

Markovic- I find it really hard to place him. He wins plenty of one on ones and is very competitive. He always looks a yard slow but is still rarely beaten. Impressed me tonight but his challenge will be doing it against better opposition.

Griffen- Thought he lifted when the rest of the players tired. Still frustrates me with the way he underkicks the ball. I would encourage him to get selfish. The amount of time he tries to pass when in range is amazing. Holding him back from going to the next level imo.

Clay Smith- Nothing wrong with his kicking judging from that display. Its an awkward style but he weights it nicely. Certainly passable as a kick particularly given his other attributes.

Dickson- Showed enough. Made some errors but plenty to work with.

Higgins- not sure if it is just his running style but he never appears to be working hard enough.

Minson- Was good up forward. The first time the ball was kicked to him he looked for touch on his man and lost site of the ball. Obviously being such a brute initiating contact is a good idea but I would still at times like to see him go at the ball a with some intent. The one he marked over Thornton he had good intent. If he is just going to stand and wrestle he wont be as effective as we need him to be. Overall though it was an impressive performance.

Murphy- Really good with ball in hand. Coughed up a few goals early sagging off Betts but I wouldn't think he would do that during the season. Fought back really well.

Grant- Flashed in and out of the game. Looked to be working a little harder. I dont think he realises how much of a weapon his pace could be defensively. When he actually takes off and chases his closing speed is elite. Would like to see him play deeper at times.

Jones- Thought we asked a bit much of him with some of our long kicks to him. Cant just rely on contested marks. We need him to develop a few more tricks. We cleared out space for him a number of times and the opposition read it (Scotland twice) so we need to make sure we are not overly predictable.

Lake- Seemed his old self in parts. Always find his unique style amusing. Goes to ground when others wouldn't, goes for marks others wouldn't, uses under ground handballs, screw kicks etc to move the ball but somehow seems to make it all work. Looked short of a gallop (lead to the ball in second quarter) but the basics of his game all seemed to be in order.

Guido- Thought we looked for him a bit much early. Will be really important this year.

Hargrave- Just about our best. My god we have missed him. Good user, plays tall and small and is very brave. The style it looks like we are going to play he becomes very important.

Addison- Looks sloppy at times but I thought he was really good. Did some hard things which he will always do but the style that the game was played in meant that mistakes were not that exposed.

Dahlhaus- He was very dangerous slipping out of congestion after we had slowed the game up and then kicked long to a contest. Tended to be plenty of space in front of him to run into.

SlimPickens
04-03-2012, 10:42 PM
I actual think Wallis was very solid tonight. Some of his quick hands in close were very good and he general extracted the ball well. I know there is high expectations on him but I think some of the criticism on his performance are unfair.

As others have stated Will had a great game, this is what he needs to do week in week out. Also Tory Dicksons goal at the end was a ripper, he did enough to suggest he may play a part at senior level throughout the year

GVGjr
04-03-2012, 10:49 PM
As others have stated Will had a great game, this is what he needs to do week in week out. Also Tory Dicksons goal at the end was a ripper, he did enough to suggest he may play a part at senior level throughout the year

I think it's a bit tough to expect that sort of level each week for Will but I hope we see it a few times during the season. I'm more interested in what he can do around the ground this season to be honest and I'd be happy with a goal a week when he rests up forward.

GVGjr
04-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Can we slot Sherman into the team? What position might he be able to fill?

SlimPickens
04-03-2012, 10:59 PM
The Hun is reporting Williams is out for 8 weeks at best, could even be 16 if he requires a full reconstruction.

When is Morris due back?

With Morris out for the first month at least. I wonder if Macca will look at Austin or Mulligan as the gap fill. I certainly hope we don't see Mulligan at senior level again. Would be interested on others thoughts.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-03-2012, 11:02 PM
I actual think Wallis was very solid tonight. Some of his quick hands in close were very good and he general extracted the ball well. I know there is high expectations on him but I think some of the criticism on his performance are unfair.

We need Minson, Grant and Dickson in particular to step up on the forward line to offset the loss of Barry Hall. I felt that when Hall was in the side our forward line became very one dimensional. There is perhaps the opportunity now to develop a multi pronged approach to our attack. Panos and Sherman are two others to provide further options.

Greystache
04-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Can we slot Sherman into the team? What position might he be able to fill?

It seems like one of our tactics will be to kick long over the zone and allow our forward to run onto the ball in space. I could see Sherman doing very well using his pace in that role.

SlimPickens
04-03-2012, 11:03 PM
I think it's a bit tough to expect that sort of level each week for Will but I hope we see it a few times during the season. I'm more interested in what he can do around the ground this season to be honest and I'd be happy with a goal a week when he rests up forward.

That may be the case but I think we should hope to have that level of intensity and performance for Will. He has been in the system for nearly a decade and we need him to be the man this year. I'm not expecting Will to kick 4 every week but I do expect him to impose himself much like he did tonight on a weekly basis.

SlimPickens
04-03-2012, 11:04 PM
It seems like one of our tactics will be to kick long over the zone and allow our forward to run onto the ball in space. I could see Sherman doing very well using his pace in that role.

Agree that extra toe that Sherman has could be very important.

GVGjr
04-03-2012, 11:04 PM
That may be the case but I think we should hope to have that level of intensity and performance for Will. He has been in the system for nearly a decade and we need him to be the man this year. I'm not expecting Will to kick 4 every week but I do expect him to impose himself much like he did tonight on a weekly basis.

Good points. Will is now the number one ruckman in the side and must set the standard.

LostDoggy
04-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Lots of positives tonight...and to be fair, pretty much what Macartney has been promising. Strong at the contest, good pressure on the ball carrier, disciplined structure and patience with the ball in hand.

Really impressed with Lake's half...no-one could have expected that first up. Wood and Hargreave excellent in defence all night, Markovoc only played on a young bloke but dominated him as you would hope.

Cordy a big positive from the night. Just looked comfortable out there, even in the ruck contests and is surely ahead of Roughead for round one at this stage. Big Will seemed to enjoy the responsibility of being the main ruckman....quite a commanding performance from Will tonight when it looked like Kreuzer was on top at the beginning. Loved the work of Dahlhaus...he's such an energiser for this side.

Great hands from Libba and typically strong games from the usual suspects, Boyd, Gia and Griffen.

Really good even performance tonight with the only downside William's injury and a disappointing effort from Howard.

Have to disagree with Howard. Like Wallis, he's just going to take some time. Patience needed.

Grant would suit as well.

Greystache
04-03-2012, 11:22 PM
I get that. He was an important player for us given no one was a 100% certain how Brian would come back. It has now opened a spot for Markovic who hasn't done much wrong.

I don't mind Markovic as a defender. Yes, he lacks a yard on the lead, but he's a smart player who reads the play well. Williams may be quicker but he is no better an option on a leading forward because he struggles to follow the play. I think we're no poorer with Markovic instead of Williams.

Greystache
04-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Grant would suit as well.

He kicked a lovely goal in the first quarter doing it, he ran really hard and burnt his defender. We need multiple options so we don't become predictable, but Grant is certainly one option.

azabob
04-03-2012, 11:45 PM

What did you make of our performance and possible change in game plan?

LostDoggy
04-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Apart from waiting 12 hours on the afl site. Is there anywhere you can see highlights free now?

Greystache
04-03-2012, 11:56 PM
What did you make of our performance and possible change in game plan?

We looked to slow the play up if we didn't have options on up the ground rather than playing on regardless, we looked to find a loose player short and then try to open play up from a kick out rather than just bombing the ball long to Minson or Williams to punch out of bounds for a throw in after every single opposition point, tackling was significantly improved, and players seemed much more prepared to run hard defensively rather than pushing hard to be attacking and if we turn it over then just becoming spectators.

I'll watch the replay this week to see if anything stands out, but I liked that we have made an obvious effort to start correcting areas we've been poor in.

Eastdog
05-03-2012, 12:02 AM
I went along to the match tonight. I though Hargrave looked a bit shaky at times. Liam Jones is a great contested mark and Dalhaus was explosive through the middle.

always right
05-03-2012, 12:09 AM
I went along to the match tonight. I though Hargrave looked a bit shaky at times. Liam Jones is a great contested mark and Dalhaus was explosive through the middle.

Were you att the same match as me? Hargreave was outstanding and whilst Jones made a lot of contests, it was hardly a game where his high marking was a feature. Yes....Dahlhaus was excellent.

bornadog
05-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Higgins- not sure if it is just his running style but he never appears to be working hard enough..

I thought Higgins played well and did work hard, but as you say he may appear like he doesn't.

Eastdog
05-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Were you att the same match as me? Hargreave was outstanding and whilst Jones made a lot of contests, it was hardly a game where his high marking was a feature. Yes....Dahlhaus was excellent.

Yeah its probably because its just pre season and he will make those kind of errors.

bornadog
05-03-2012, 12:12 AM

Did Hargreave make a comeback:D

Ghost Dog
05-03-2012, 12:18 AM
I thought Higgins played well and did work hard, but as you say he may appear like he doesn't.

He never looks in a hurry like others, and lacks emotion. I dont think this means he doesn't care.

Shaggy had some fumbles but it was a pressure game and he stood tall when it counted.

Dry Rot
05-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Thoughts on Cooney tonight?

LostDoggy
05-03-2012, 01:10 AM

Higgins was the standout disappointment for me. He's become a fringe player and I think Marco, Minson and Wood are now all past him in importance to the team. Very excited about what Brian, Shaggy, Tom, Cordy and Will showed tonight. Really enjoyed that game. Pretty sure we won the supporter turn out as well which is always good :). Bring on the real deal.

G-Mo77
05-03-2012, 01:41 AM
I gotta tell you this whole PayTV exclusive is complete BS. I should be able to see my team play at some point live or replay. For the #1 sport in Australia even if it's only preseason it shouldn't be this hard to be able to watch it. Disgraceful to railroad the consumer into buying PayTV! Digital TV was suppose to be the solution to this wasn't it?

Anyway step down from soap box.....

Some interesting comments in here in regards to the way we are playing. I'm looking forward to actually watching the team play rather than reading someone else's view. I was going to watch the game in Ballarat next week but a 5th year wedding anniversary got in the way. :cool: Might be round 1 before I see them. :(

Who do we think will take Williams' spot over the next 8 - 12? Our backline is already very fragile with Morris out and Lake returning from injury. I really thought Williams did pretty well last season, it sucks to lose him this early especially under those circumstances.

Did regular players have different roles at all? Forwards go back and vice versa? Shutdown roles? etc.

immortalmike
05-03-2012, 01:55 AM

Looked a little slow and rusty. May need match practice...on the plus side apart from one out on the full his skills were quite good.

Hotdog60
05-03-2012, 07:29 AM

Looked in need of match practice and I notice he gave up on the chase very quickly at times. This could be a sign of the times as his knee may still be a big issue or he was just out of puff.

In saying that you always expect something to happen when he has the ball, I think it's a wait and see. 2nd half of the year should tell us how long Cooney has left in the game.

LostDoggy
05-03-2012, 08:26 AM
I gotta tell you this whole PayTV exclusive is complete BS. I should be able to see my team play at some point live or replay. For the #1 sport in Australia even if it's only preseason it shouldn't be this hard to be able to watch it. Disgraceful to railroad the consumer into buying PayTV! Digital TV was suppose to be the solution to this wasn't it?

You can watch a full match replay off the AFL website 12 hours after the game.

I thought Jones wasn't getting the best delivery. We were trying to spiral it to him most the time, but there was always an extra Carlton defender there to chop it out.

My notes:

Markovic, love his intent, but too many turn overs.

Minson!!! Hopefully he can do this week in week out and not 1 out of 5 games.

Who have we go to take on small forwards, we seem to have tall and medium tall forwards covered. But someone like a Betts, Milne, we will look to struggle to contain.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
05-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Did Hargreave make a comeback:D

It's safer to call him Shaggy - keeps you out of trouble:D

LostDoggy
05-03-2012, 10:09 AM

This is why I read the match day threads, especially post-match — you can have 100 WOOF members watch the match and you'll get 100 totally different assessments of each player and the game in general.

For the record, I thought all 3 were good enough for a NAB match.

I thought Jones wasn't getting the best delivery. We were trying to spiral it to him most the time, but there was always an extra Carlton defender there to chop it out.

This is spot on the mark. Jones will benefit most from having a little help.

I don't understand the issues with Higgins. It wasn't his finest game but I thought he did enough to show he'll have a much better year.

bornadog
05-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Who do we think will take Williams' spot over the next 8 - 12? Our backline is already very fragile with Morris out and Lake returning from injury. I really thought Williams did pretty well last season, it sucks to lose him this early especially under those circumstances.

Did regular players have different roles at all? Forwards go back and vice versa? Shutdown roles? etc.

I guess Markovic will be required depending on the opposition. Unless Mulligan has improved dramatically we may have to try a few younger players like Talia, Hill or Fletcher. The only problem I see with Markovic is his lack of pace and decision making.

There were no major role changes for regular players, Murphy, Wood were in the backline, Grant, in the forward line etc.

Bulldog Revolution
05-03-2012, 10:36 AM

I also thought he was good, played with purpose, looked to be running on top of the ground again, and will be better for the run

G-Mo77
05-03-2012, 10:43 AM
I guess Markovic will be required depending on the opposition. Unless Mulligan has improved dramatically we may have to try a few younger players like Talia, Hill or Fletcher. The only problem I see with Markovic is his lack of pace and decision making.

There were no major role changes for regular players, Murphy, Wood were in the backline, Grant, in the forward line etc.

It's a worry when Mulligan's name gets brought up. Still it might be a good chance to get some GT under his belt and prove he was worth keeping for another year.

I'm surprised that a new coach and new system didn't change player roles and positions in our first real hit out. Not disappointed just a little surprised.

Thanks for the info.

Mofra
05-03-2012, 10:46 AM
We looked to slow the play up if we didn't have options on up the ground rather than playing on regardless, we looked to find a loose player short and then try to open play up from a kick out rather than just bombing the ball long to Minson or Williams to punch out of bounds for a throw in after every single opposition point, tackling was significantly improved, and players seemed much more prepared to run hard defensively rather than pushing hard to be attacking and if we turn it over then just becoming spectators.
Sounds like a fairly different style from 2011, match reports note our short kicking vs long kicking ratio was quite high.

Contested footy focus (win possession) and short kicking (maintain possession) paint a fairly clear picture of what B Mac wants from the boys - control the footy as much as possible and from that we control the flow of the game.

Maddog37
05-03-2012, 11:06 AM
I thought Higgins whilst not dominant was important with his input when needed. He kicked a nice goal, he took a solid mark on the last line of defence late in the game and had a hand in the goal to win the game if my memory serves me correctly.

I like him being played as a forward with the freedom to go on the ball when it suits him. He has that little bit of x factor to impact games but he loses his zip when played too much on ball.

LostDoggy
05-03-2012, 11:20 AM
I thought Higgins whilst not dominant was important with his input when needed. He kicked a nice goal, he took a solid mark on the last line of defence late in the game and had a hand in the goal to win the game if my memory serves me correctly.

I like him being played as a forward with the freedom to go on the ball when it suits him. He has that little bit of x factor to impact games but he loses his zip when played too much on ball.

My thoughts are that he is a forward and should be played as such, when fit and in form he is a much needed player for us, but to turn him into a mid/forward does not seem to be working. Play him as a forward and see what happens from there, he is a class act at times and worth persisting with up front.

Twodogs
05-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Dickson- Showed enough. Made some errors but plenty to work with.

Agree. He missed a shot a bit earlier in the quarter but when he had another chance to ice the game he took it. I like that.

Ozza
05-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Only caught the second half - will try to watch the first half this week. But from that half of footy - thought Griffen and Higgins stepped up to play a big role in getting us over the line.

Hargrave looks really good at the moment. Dahlhaus and Jones are a good combination up forward also. Good to see big Will go well - hopefully its a confidence booster that he can take into the season.

Cyberdoggie
05-03-2012, 11:53 AM

He actually did a couple of good things, some nice spoils and played more positively.
Dylan actually backed himself with his kicking a little more rather than just handballing it off or kicking sideways all the time (still does it though).

The dissapointing side is he turns like the titanic for a smaller defender, and he can be very loose on his man. Bob was taking it a bit easy on Betts early before getting the order to tighten up, but he wasn't helped by Addison in one particular goal (where betts roved the pack and ran straight in to the goal). Bob went to Garlett for the marking contest, Betts ran into the roving position and Addison just jogged along and let him run by.

I still think he's not up to it and we should look at others.

Will be interesting to see the side for next weeks game. I think some kids need to be played more in the desired roles (Wallis, Vez, Cordy, Roughead, Talia, Smith, Panos, Dickson, Grant).

Dickson has got some good accelleration and goal sense but he looked unfit and a little lazy at times for me, especially for a player that had only come onto the ground towards the end.

I think most of us are aware of our weaknesses, but it was a little more evident for me last night. Lack of quality small defender, A grade classy and pacey mid/forward (rioli type), and some rebounding defenders other than Bob Murphy. Tutt will help add a little, and loosing Williams and Morris creates more holes. Markovic is a good backup but we may need to blood young Talia throughout the year in a baptism by fire.

I watched freo last night and they have some quality running players and they looked like thoroughbreds compared to us as draught horses.

Macca will need a lot of tricks in his bag to get us into the finals but we won't be disgraced.

Cyberdoggie
05-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Sounds like a fairly different style from 2011, match reports note our short kicking vs long kicking ratio was quite high.

Contested footy focus (win possession) and short kicking (maintain possession) paint a fairly clear picture of what B Mac wants from the boys - control the footy as much as possible and from that we control the flow of the game.

It's not pretty but as we aren't a strong contested marking side it makes sense.
Problem is we aren't fantastic kicks either and when there was some pressure near the end of the game we made some poor basic kicking errors (missing stationary targets 15 metres away). They looked tired and that's understandable but you don't kick off 1 step or off walking pace, it's a recipe for disaster.

stefoid
05-03-2012, 12:02 PM
I see that Picken got what was probably a career high posession tally - anyone care to comment on his game? style,postiion?

Sedat
05-03-2012, 12:03 PM
The dissapointing side is he turns like the titanic for a smaller defender, and he can be very loose on his man. Bob was taking it a bit easy on Betts early before getting the order to tighten up, but he wasn't helped by Addison in one particular goal (where betts roved the pack and ran straight in to the goal). Bob went to Garlett for the marking contest, Betts ran into the roving position and Addison just jogged along and let him run by. The opposition small forwards will be the single biggest problem area for us unless we can unearth another Harbrow from witnin our ranks. Morris eats these types for breakfast but he will be out/underdone until 2nd half of the season - and with Tommy out he might have to play taller more often than not when he comes back into the team. Shaggy might be able to fill the void - he used to make mince meat of players like Milne a few seasons ago, but the rest of our mid sized defenders are natural rebounders who are too loose to play the lock down role (ie: Vesz, Wood, Bob), nor would we want them to because we need their attacking rebound drive.

G-Mo77
05-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Watching the first half now. Impressed with our work around contests. Flicking the ball around by hand with precision and the spacing looks a lot better. Libba's work is outstanding in these areas. For a 2nd year player I'm still amazed how comfortable he looks at this level.

Rance Fan
05-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Wonder if they will put Cordy at CHB whilst Williams is injured.
Cordy played well and is seemingly is ahead of Roughead in my eyes.
Cordy seems to have a bit more want and desire.

Any agree?

bornadog
05-03-2012, 12:13 PM

Any agree?

I agree he looked better than Roughead, and maybe he does go to CHB.

stefoid
05-03-2012, 12:15 PM

Any agree?

If he can handle the position, why not?

Dazza
05-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Main things...

We looked a lot more committed to chasing the man.

Harder at the ball.

Our rucks were pretty effective.

Our inside work was pretty slick. Smith and Libba will be a good combo.

Sucks losing Williams. Markovic is a capable replacement though. Rarely beaten.

Addison did some really good things. Missed a few easy handballs.

We won a close won. Bit of a rarity for the last few years.

G-Mo77
05-03-2012, 12:38 PM
The opposition small forwards will be the single biggest problem area for us unless we can unearth another Harbrow from witnin our ranks.

Harbrow was never that accountable anyway with his run and carry I guess that put pressure on his opponent to watch him more.

I've just watched the first 3 quarters and Addison who everyone seems so quick to pot has done a very good job on Betts when he has played on him.

If Carrazzo escapes suspension for both incidents I have seen I'd be very surprised.

The Underdog
05-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Are people here prepared to forget previous seasons and allow Dylan Addison to prove his worth to this club?

His Game wasn't THAT bad tonight. He contributed , he made some errors, showed some courage, fluffed a few easy ones, but showed his commitment.

Your summary of his game is pretty much a summary of his previous seasons.
I love Dylan's application to the game but he pretty much is what he is at this point. He is a fringe senior player with some attributes and some deficiencies who with everyone fit, probably isn't in our 22.

DragzLS1
05-03-2012, 01:17 PM
I think Addison done well and can see him playing alot of games this season.

Clay smith I was very impressed with! Libba is already a gun in my eyes

Minson was very good and I'm loving what I'm seeing

Lake was back to himself :)

Grant done well and I seen him and Dickson on a few occasions chase players or chase back to cover a hole which is a great sign and will be regulars if they keep up the good work

Dal is just dangerous love this kid

Can't wait to see tutt in the mix aswell

Pretty confident if we done have too many injuries about making the 8

Ghost Dog
05-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Your summary of his game is pretty much a summary of his previous seasons.
I love Dylan's application to the game but he pretty much is what he is at this point. He is a fringe senior player with some attributes and some deficiencies who with everyone fit, probably isn't in our 22.

Ah who's pigeon hole-ing before the season proper has even started?? You might just be surprised by DA this season.

LostDoggy
05-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Most important question is how did Sockeye jnr go?

Ghost Dog
05-03-2012, 03:47 PM
How good was the Press conference from Bmac?
Loved seeing Gia up there beside him. And Gia loved being there! ^_^

LostDoggy
05-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Hi All, My very first post! Thanks for having me. There is some very good commentary on the game here and mostly positive. The one person not really mentioned so far is the coach. I think that Mac did an outstanding job on the night, and has done throughout the pre-season. His post-match tells a pretty good tale (http://bit.ly/yYEdcQ) He is very measured in his responses and sets his own agenda, and Gia was singing from the same songbook. It's all bout 'team', supporting team mates, and doing your job. Mac was very happy with the way the boys went about it last night. It's early days and he's introducing a totally new approach on field and off but once it starts to really bite, so will we! I'm excited about a new, harder and more team-focused Doggies in 2012.

bornadog
05-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Ah who's pigeon hole-ing before the season proper has even started?? You might just be surprised by DA this season.

Maybe I will, but I doubt it.

I think he played ok on Saturday, but come the season proper and there will be others ahead of him.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Cordy looks a 50% better player than he has previously.

I've been a big critic of his, but it's very pleasing to see him show some good signs. He's done it in each of the three games he's played, and arguably, he's moved ahead of Roughead. I wonder if we'd take Cordy into Round 1 and leave Roughy out? More of a risk (physically), but I'd like to see us reward him.

Markovic is extremely difficult to beat in a contest. I can't recall him losing too many since he's been with us. He does get caught out on the lead sometimes, but he's a solid defender. He's probably a better player than Williams at this stage -- at least defensively.

Impressed with Clay Smith as I mentioned earlier. He throws his weight around and knows how to win a ball. Took a really good mark and his disposal was neat. It'll be interesting to compare his career with Crozier from Fremantle, but I like what I saw.

Dickson made some errors, but he showed a bit too. He attacked the contest pretty hard, and ended up winning a two on one because of it. Great finish to win the game too. Not sure he will play round 1 -- perhaps still building his fitness base. It would be nice to see him get a full game next week.

Libba is incredible. He looks like he's been playing at this level for 10 years. It's amazing; he's already incredibly underrated in football circles. If he was playing for Collingwood, we'd be hearing how he's already an "A" grade player.

Minson was super impressive. His career definitely hit a rough patch when Hudson came to the club. I thought Minson was solid when he was our number one ruck a few years ago, so I think we'll see a far better year from him again in 2012.

* We really need to find another Dahlhaus. Carlton are lethal with both Betts/Garlett, I'd like to see us target a similar type of player in the upcoming draft.

strebla
05-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Just a quick not just watched the replay and saw Grant in an altercation on the boundary line this time he fired back which was good to see after his lame effort with Shaw last week which Quite a few of us pointed out.

Bulldog4life
05-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Any agree?

Actually wondering that myself. He did play a few games with Willy at chb. Panos is another who has played in the backline with Willy and might be an option if they are not going to play him in the forwardline yet.

The Underdog
05-03-2012, 05:19 PM

It's possible, but you don't see too many guys in their mid-20's suddenly change the kind of player they are.

azabob
05-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Libba is incredible. He looks like he's been playing at this level for 10 years. It's amazing; he's already incredibly underrated in football circles. If he was playing for Collingwood, we'd be hearing how he's already an "A" grade player.

Loved watching Liberatore last year. He just slipped into our team without any fan fair whatso ever, and it appears to have continued again. He obviously has continued to work hard over the pre season.

Im unsure what he is like personality wise but his actions on the field seem to scream leadership material.

always right
05-03-2012, 06:10 PM
It's possible, but you don't see too many guys in their mid-20's suddenly change the kind of player they are.

True....but Libba snr proved it can be done...at an even later age.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Just saw the highlights on AFL site and thought the red jumper provided a great target, either on the lead, in a contest for a quick handball or just to know where a team mate is, it helped for quick identification. The navy blue jumper provided a stark contrast and there was no way someone was going to kick to a trainer.

always right
05-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Loved watching Liberatore last year. He just slipped into our team without any fan fair whatso ever, and it appears to have continued again. He obviously has continued to work hard over the pre season.

Im unsure what he is like personality wise but his actions on the field seem to scream leadership material.

Quick hands and a quick mind. Thank christ because he aint going to win the grand final sprint any time soon.

Was staggered when Yarran burst past two bulldogs players to kick that terrific goal but then I watched the replay and saw the two players were Libba and Minson. All we needed was Cross to be in the vicinity and we would have had the trifecta.

Ozza
05-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Quick hands and a quick mind. Thank christ because he aint going to win the grand final sprint any time soon.

Was staggered when Yarran burst past two bulldogs players to kick that terrific goal but then I watched the replay and saw the two players were Libba and Minson. All we needed was Cross to be in the vicinity and we would have had the trifecta.

Speaking of quick hands - watching yesterday was a bit of a refresher in how quick the hands of our senior campaigners are - Boyd and Gia in particular got rid of a hot footy under pressure to a team mate in a heartbeat late in the game, which got us going.

immortalmike
05-03-2012, 06:23 PM

Libba is not even close to as slow as these guys. One-paced sure but he's about as quick as Pendlebury, now that I think about it Libba plays a hell of a lot like a young Pendles...

Bulldog4life
05-03-2012, 06:36 PM

According to Roos who was commentating at the time Yarran would have burnt off any player. Personally I don't think Libba is as slow as you think he is.

Remi Moses
05-03-2012, 07:54 PM
My two bobs worth
Lots of positives
Minson - thought he was great and hopefully he makes the most of being number 1 banana
Smith- revelation, kicks like Ben Johnson( somebody beat me to it)
Libba - just great in close
Lake- nice return by Brian
The usual suspects Griff, Boyd Cross
Hargrave - hasn't missed a beat ( underestimated his loss)
Grant- showed great intent and work ethic
Cordy- showed a bit
What you want this time of the year intensity and tackling and I thought we bought that.
Looks like we'll be playing a short possession Continual movement game

LostDoggy
05-03-2012, 08:07 PM
The WB and afl web sites are useless for replays and even for highlights. Errors, bad links, slow, etc.

Yesterday I tried to listen to the game on my iPhone. Good luck to that , Sen not allowed. Afl.com on an iPhone is hopeless.

always right
05-03-2012, 08:23 PM
According to Roos who was commentating at the time Yarran would have burnt off any player. Personally I don't think Libba is as slow as you think he is.

I'm not bagging him...he shows exceptional promise.....but he is one-paced and it isn't a quick pace.

Go_Dogs
05-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Hi All, My very first post! Thanks for having me. There is some very good commentary on the game here and mostly positive. The one person not really mentioned so far is the coach. I think that Mac did an outstanding job on the night, and has done throughout the pre-season. His post-match tells a pretty good tale (http://bit.ly/yYEdcQ) He is very measured in his responses and sets his own agenda, and Gia was singing from the same songbook. It's all bout 'team', supporting team mates, and doing your job. Mac was very happy with the way the boys went about it last night. It's early days and he's introducing a totally new approach on field and off but once it starts to really bite, so will we! I'm excited about a new, harder and more team-focused Doggies in 2012.

Nice first up post, welcome aboard.

Yep, he's done a good job so far over the summer. The weekends result was good - I'm definitely becoming more upbeat about our chances this year so hopefully it continues. Once the real stuff starts his true test will begin, so we need to be measured in our praise at the moment.

LostDoggy
05-03-2012, 09:27 PM
I think Addison done well and can see him playing alot of games this season.

Clay smith I was very impressed with! Libba is already a gun in my eyes

Minson was very good and I'm loving what I'm seeing

Lake was back to himself :)

Grant done well and I seen him and Dickson on a few occasions chase players or chase back to cover a hole which is a great sign and will be regulars if they keep up the good work

Dal is just dangerous love this kid

Can't wait to see tutt in the mix aswell

Pretty confident if we done have too many injuries about making the 8

You wouldn't happen to be a teacher would you? ;)

Bulldog Revolution
05-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Carazzo did well to only get a1 week suspension for two striking charges
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/130081/default.aspx

LostDoggy
05-03-2012, 11:01 PM

Its a free for all anyway, you miss the Sham Cup games.

jeemak
05-03-2012, 11:27 PM

What a brat. Seriously, in a NAB Cup game he's carrying on like a pork chop.

I always judge a "hard man" by the types they beat up on. Carazzo's performance is damning of his status in that regard.

DragzLS1
05-03-2012, 11:51 PM
You wouldn't happen to be a teacher would you? ;)

Definitely not haha I am in the legal field currently

Remi Moses
06-03-2012, 12:54 AM

I'm sure Carazzo is Italian for turnover.

jeemak
06-03-2012, 01:19 AM
I'm not bagging him...he shows exceptional promise.....but he is one-paced and it isn't a quick pace.

I'd agree with this, though he's a player that is smart enough to work around it and it's not like he's going to be doing much else than grunt work in close throughout his career.

That's not selling him short because he's so bloody good at it, and I think his game will develop to a level where if he does get the ball in the open he'll choose the right move by foot or draw a player or two to create space for a team mate more often than not, but he's never going to do anything pacelike, even if that isn't a real word ;).

The Bulldogs Bite
06-03-2012, 02:58 AM
I'm sure Carazzo is Italian for turnover.

Loved this.

LostDoggy
06-03-2012, 04:33 PM
The upside player for me was Dickson. I like his size and the distance he can kick. He seems to read the play well, gets involved and knows where the goals are. All the top sides now have a similar player, so let's hope he can develop his fitness base and knowledge at this level. I couldn't tell if he was defensively any good, but he did get himself into good positions to get / receive the ball.

I also thought Higgins was good for us, especially in the last quarter. I think he is critical to us, and just hope that he has the endurance and fitness to take over from Cooney. We don't have a Judd at the moment, and I think as the season goes on, this may become a serious deficiency as our younger players begin to tire.

Liked our more defensive game plan, but can't say that I love footy that involves so much short kicking. I guess if it means we are more successful, I can wear it.

Dazza
07-03-2012, 12:26 AM
I actually enjoyed seeing us stick to a game plan.

jeemak
07-03-2012, 12:56 AM
Up until last year and maybe 2010 when injuries and illness set in we were one of the best in the business at sticking to a game plan in the preceding few years. Some might say the plan wasn't the right one, but it was a plan nonetheless. :D

You don't score as heavily as we managed to between 2008-2010 without being disciplined enough to follow the coaches instructions.

I'm looking forward to seeing how we adapt to our multi-pronged attack, and whether we can maintain a defensive mindset while trying to find our way offensively.

dog town
07-03-2012, 08:33 AM
* The style we played has elements of Hawthorn and Collingwood about it. We seem to be using short kicking (like Hawthorn) to control the game and keep the footy. I dont think we are as attacking with it as Hawthorn can be though and we seem to do it to more protected areas (like Collingwood) along the boundary. If nothing is on we go long to a tall and cause a pack or stoppage. Going to be very interesting to see how it progresses. I guess it plays to our strengths. If we turn it over it usually results in a stoppage or contest which I believe are our strengths. The kicking side of it takes some skill but these guys are professionals and a 15-30 metre spot up pass is not that difficult. It relies more on work rate and organisation to free someone up than the actual skill. We will need very good onfield leadership and organisation to play this brand of football. Both the execution and the actual decision making of when to slow the game up when to attack etc will need the players all being on the same page. No idea whether it will work or not but I am impressed that the players followed a definitive style so closely. Getting them to buy in is half the battle.

. The stats in todays herald sun seem to support most of this. Brave stuff from Macca. I like that it suits our current strengths and weaknesses.

The Underdog
07-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Watched the game yesterday on the webs. Thought there were some real positives but being a pre-season match you certainly don't want to read too much into it.
At this point you'd think Cordy is ahead of Roughhead for the 2nd ruck spot. More mobile and better up forward, he's been the real surprise of the pre-season to me.
Addison did well on Betts after half time, putting a lot more body on him than Murph had. Liked Vez's game. Shaggy looked like his old self (unfortunately that included some terrible turnovers in the backline) and could really help make up for Morris' absence early on.
The game plan looked good although the real test will come when the intensity rises and especially against teams who can really put pressure on the ball carrier. Liked the ability to lock the ball in the forward 50.
Dahlhaus' pace is going to be really important. Be interesting to see how he goes with opposition team's putting a lot more work into him. Liked Grant's work early, he can still be a very important player for us if he can step up.

Ghost Dog
07-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Watched the game yesterday on the webs. Thought there were some real positives but being a pre-season match you certainly don't want to read too much into it.
At this point you'd think Cordy is ahead of Roughhead for the 2nd ruck spot. More mobile and better up forward, he's been the real surprise of the pre-season to me.
Addison did well on Betts after half time, putting a lot more body on him than Murph had. Liked Vez's game. Shaggy looked like his old self (unfortunately that included some terrible turnovers in the backline) and could really help make up for Morris' absence early on.
The game plan looked good although the real test will come when the intensity rises and especially against teams who can really put pressure on the ball carrier. Liked the ability to lock the ball in the forward 50.
Dahlhaus' pace is going to be really important. Be interesting to see how he goes with opposition team's putting a lot more work into him. Liked Grant's work early, he can still be a very important player for us if he can step up.

yeah - did you see them giving him and Gia a work over? then along comes Liam Jones with those long arms to fly the flag. He gave away a free but somehow I was glad to see it.

DragzLS1
07-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Anybody see heath Shaw I think when he got stuck into Grant a few weeks ago and Grant just jogged away..

Well I dont know if anybody noticed but nearly the same thing happened and Grant just got stuck into the Carlton player (can not remember who it was) but obviously somebody had a word to him about sticking up for himself ;) was very good to see!

Bulldog4life
07-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Anybody see heath Shaw I think when he got stuck into Grant a few weeks ago and Grant just jogged away..

Well I dont know if anybody noticed but nearly the same thing happened and Grant just got stuck into the Carlton player (can not remember who it was) but obviously somebody had a word to him about sticking up for himself ;) was very good to see!

Yes I noticed that too. Good to see.

LostDoggy
10-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Fellow woofers 1st time poster, love the chat and opinions, coming from Adelaide you appreciate it even more :v!! Yeh I noticed that from grant to, I'm pretty sure it was Davies (31), Grants intent even with that tackle from Picken he combined to nail Marc Murphy on the flank was a great sign!!
Have to give huge props to Dylan Addison, i know a bit of a whipping boy and i understand why that is, but some of his contests and physicality was top notch, i think Macca will appreciate that alot, Im rooting for him to nail down that back pocket!! Like most Libba in traffic is like a scooter in peak hour, he just gets through and finds the best way to get around, and his touch and poise is very exciting!! Happy with signs Howard and Vespa showed as well. Minson could well be our most important player this year!! thanks guys :)

Dancin' Douggy
10-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Fellow woofers 1st time poster, love the chat and opinions, coming from Adelaide you appreciate it even more :v!! Yeh I noticed that from grant to, I'm pretty sure it was Davies (31), Grants intent even with that tackle from Picken he combined to nail Marc Murphy on the flank was a great sign!!
Have to give huge props to Dylan Addison, i know a bit of a whipping boy and i understand why that is, but some of his contests and physicality was top notch, i think Macca will appreciate that alot, Im rooting for him to nail down that back pocket!! Like most Libba in traffic is like a scooter in peak hour, he just gets through and finds the best way to get around, and his touch and poise is very exciting!! Happy with signs Howard and Vespa showed as well. Minson could well be our most important player this year!! thanks guys :)

Nice post.

AndrewP6
10-03-2012, 10:26 PM

Welcome to WOOF. As an aside, my initial, fairly stupid thoughts on your first post were "Who is Clay Smyman"??? :o:o:o

LostDoggy
12-03-2012, 04:02 PM
HAHA after yesterdays effort from the lad im pretty happy. Thanks guys