PDA

View Full Version : Can 2012 give a resurgence like 2008

Bulldog Joe
03-03-2012, 01:00 PM
It is not hard to see that there is a lot of negative opinion about the Dogs.

Yet at this time last year we were touted as premiership favourites.

It cast my mind back to 2007 and I recall a season we approached with some confidence after tasting finals in 2006. What eventuated was an awful run with injury and some absolute thrashings late in the season from teams like Geelong, West Coast and Hawthorn. In fact we managed only a draw and 6 losses in out last 7 games.

Still we turned that around with 7 wins and a draw in our first 8 games in 2008.

We also had the retirement of the great Chris Grant and Luke Darcy between seasons, but did pick up mature recruits in Ben Hudson and Scott Welsh.

This time we have not gained the experienced players but instead have given 8 new players (that remain on the list) their debuts in 2011.

We also have returning from injury Ryan Hargrave and Brian Lake who hardly played and Adam Cooney who was severely restricted. If 2 of those 3 get to 60% of their previous form they will add more than Hudson and Welsh brought in 2008.

We don't need much improvement from the others on the list to make a significant difference to the on field performance and we do have some emerging players who could make that difference.

I would like to see some optimism, but if you are pessimistic be prepared to be pleasantly surprise and enjoy the season ahead.

Hotdog60
03-03-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm optimistic every year, so go Dogs

Remi Moses
03-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Hope you're right BJ.
Don't think it's pessimism more like realism to be honest.
Personally i'd be happy seeing a game plan in place and the players having a crack.

Bulldog Joe
03-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Hope you're right BJ.
Don't think it's pessimism more like realism to be honest.
Personally i'd be happy seeing a game plan in place and the players having a crack.

Realism is optimism to a pessimist but pessimism to an optomist.

So I may yet be the one showing realism.

chef
03-03-2012, 02:53 PM

To me, your an optimist. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Remi Moses
03-03-2012, 02:55 PM

Maybe

Bulldog Joe
03-03-2012, 03:07 PM
To me, your an optimist. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

and to me you are a pessimist but to Dry Rot you are probably an optimist.

Before I Die
03-03-2012, 03:12 PM

And we will only know the answer with the benefit of hindsight later in the year. However, even then there remains the question of what defines a successful season. If, as appears to be the case for a number of posters, the only measure of success is a premiership, then I am fairly confident that they will be arguing at the end of the year that their pessimism was vindicated. For others, such as myself, an inprovement on 2011 and a return to finals footy would cap off a successful year which vindicated our positive enthusiasm for the up coming season.

bornadog
03-03-2012, 03:19 PM
I am normally an optimist but being realistic, we don't have the same calibre of players as we did going from 2007 to 2008. There are alot of players that really need to step up in order for us to be finals contendors. The balance of the team isnot there (see this thread: here (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=10390)) WE don't have enough good players in the 24 to 28 year bracket and the players below 24 are all inexperienced.

chef
03-03-2012, 03:48 PM

I guess we all think we're realists.

Desipura
03-03-2012, 09:17 PM

Who's on first? What's on second?

AndrewP6
03-03-2012, 09:44 PM
This is an early front-runner for the most confusing thread of 2012.

Dry Rot
03-03-2012, 10:55 PM

I guess we all think we're realists.

And for some of us realist = reality.

For the OP to have a chance to work out this year, every possible variable with our team (and there are more this year than I can remember) would have to work out in our favour.

And that is unlikely.

Before I Die
03-03-2012, 10:56 PM
This is an early front-runner for the most confusing thread of 2012.

I think only the pessimists are confused :D

Ghost Dog
03-03-2012, 11:38 PM
I love an optimistic thread. We'll take a few big scalps this season. Not consistently maybe but no team will be taking us lightly. CARN THE DOGGIES