PDA

View Full Version : Guy O'Keefe

Throughandthrough
05-03-2012, 05:31 PM
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/south-releases-okeefe/story-e6freckc-1226289636706

SOUTH Adelaide has released midfielder Guy O'Keefe from all football duties after he was charged by police with drug related offences.
The Panthers today issued a statement via the SANFL saying O'Keefe had been released from ''all football commitments until this matter is determined through the courts system''.

In the statement the club said it would not make any further comment on the matter.

O'Keefe was recruited by South Adelaide from AFL club Western Bulldogs in 2010.

chef
05-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Not surprised.

Remi Moses
05-03-2012, 07:41 PM
What a waste

The Bulldogs Bite
05-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Seen him on the gear a few times in Geelong, and he never really tried keeping a low profile. No surprises here.

Remi Moses
06-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Seen him on the gear a few times in Geelong, and he never really tried keeping a low profile. No surprises here.

Heard that as well.
One career wasted

jeemak
06-03-2012, 01:22 AM
This is a pretty grubby thread already. Not sure if it should be on this board, and I hope the rubbishing is restrained until more information comes to light.

GVGjr
06-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Jeemak, I agree so I will close the thread.
We shouldn't be making any other references that haven't been reported.

GVGjr
16-03-2012, 08:47 PM
This sheds a bit of light on O'Keefe.

http://geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2012/03/16/313551_news.html

Sockeye Salmon
16-03-2012, 08:55 PM

I would have preferred that the picture wasn't of him in our jumper with a big "Mission" logo on it.

Maddog37
16-03-2012, 09:04 PM
That is just horrid. He had a great chance at a good life and now he is stuffed.

What a waste.

w3design
16-03-2012, 09:10 PM
South Adelaide have a notorious drug/partyboy culture. He'd have fitted right in a couple of years ago. Now they have cleaned up a bit.

Stupid git only got caught because he was speeding apparently.

The Coon Dog
16-03-2012, 09:37 PM

I wonder if you knew what you did when you typed that? :D

w3design
16-03-2012, 09:51 PM
I'd say he was far from ectstatic that he was caught.

chef
17-03-2012, 08:26 AM
I'd say he was far from ectstatic that he was caught.

And Nhill chance of getting off.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 10:26 AM

The police around Nhill are pretty dilgent and love catching drivers for traffic offences - not that I am speaking from experience:D

bornadog
17-03-2012, 10:27 AM

I remember catching up with you and his father at a practise match at Princes Park, His Dad was so proud of him in a Bulldogs jumper. Boy his father would be so down now.

GVGjr
17-03-2012, 10:48 AM
I remember catching up with you and his father at a practise match at Princes Park, His Dad was so proud of him in a Bulldogs jumper. Boy his father would be so down now.

I used to catch-up with his father a lot at Williamstown games and he was a very proud dad of all his children and a good bloke to talk to. From my discussions with him he did everything he could to give Guy a great start to his footy and sporting career. (Guy was a very good junior cricketer as well)
Right at this moment I doubt Guys footy career is even the slightest concern for his parents.

w3design
17-03-2012, 10:53 AM
And Nhill chance of getting off.

Just spat my coffee all over my computer screen. Champagne comedy.

The police around Nhill are pretty dilgent and love catching drivers for traffic offences - not that I am speaking from experience:D

We're playing a trial game against Nhill next weekend. Thankfully they are coming to us. Would have to be picked up leaving the ground (fricken 100 zones in Victoria now? I live 5 minutes across the border in SA and we still go 110 safely).

bornadog
17-03-2012, 11:38 AM
We're playing a trial game against Nhill next weekend. Thankfully they are coming to us. Would have to be picked up leaving the ground (fricken 100 zones in Victoria now? I live 5 minutes across the border in SA and we still go 110 safely).

The sergeant stopped us just out of Nhill a couple of years ago. My mate and I were taking our daughters over to Adelaide for a Kayak Sprint event and we over took a truck and there was a bit of a bend and a car was coming. There was plenty of time to over take. Anyhow about a kilometre up the road the Nhill police stopped us and gave us a real hard time telling my mate he was in big trouble blah blah blah. We said he couldn't prove anything and he said the truck driver was a witness. (he dobbed us in). Anyway never heard from him again, but he really seemed like he hated city folk.:D

AndrewP6
17-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Football aside, this is a very sad story of another young guy making a huge mess of his life. Very sad indeed.

soupman
17-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Football aside, this is a very sad story of another young guy making a huge mess of his life. Very sad indeed.

Exactly.

It's amazing how some people seem to have so much going for them (drafted, talented and with what sounds like a very supportive family) and just end up crashing and burning.

Bulldog Revolution
17-03-2012, 02:19 PM

Indeed Andrew

Hopefully he can learn from this mistake, throw himself at the mercy of the court, and get his life sorted out because this was such a foolish undertaking it defies belief.

I was always quite a fan of him as a player

ledge
17-03-2012, 03:14 PM

With that many pills and money in the car he is obviously a dealer who is destroying other peoples lives.
He causes kids to become drug addicts in the first place, prey on the weak.
Throw the book at him I say, its the users who I feel for because of this kind of person.

I feel nothing for him he isnt 18, he was bought up in an apparently good family and a proffessional AFL club, he chose this way to go.

Thats my rant about all scum dealers, sorry if it offends.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 03:35 PM

Sorry no Sympathy, had the world at his feet, went to Geelong Grammar, drafted by the Bulldogs but chose not to work hard and wanted it all on a plate. Then allegedly starts sellling drugs , again the easy way to make money.

My sympathies are with the under privilege and those that don't get a chance in life.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 03:36 PM
With that many pills and money in the car he is obviously a dealer who is destroying other peoples lives.
Throw the book at him I say, its the users who I feel for because of this kind of person.

I feel nothing for him he isnt 18, he was bought up in an apparently good family and a proffessional AFL club, he chose this way to go.

One of your best posts.

Sockeye Salmon
17-03-2012, 03:46 PM
From memory Jarrod Grant and Sam Reid asked the club to move them in with someone else because they thought O'Keefe didn't have the right attitude or the dedication required to play football at AFL level

ledge
17-03-2012, 03:52 PM
One of your best posts.

Thanks, Quite rare hey:D

Drunken Bum
17-03-2012, 04:33 PM

So by this logic all bottle shop owners are scum and it's their fault people become alcoholics? Fast food shops are scum for preying on the weak and causing obesity?
What an absolute load of rubbish.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 04:46 PM
So by this logic all bottle shop owners are scum and it's their fault people become alcoholics? Fast food shops are scum for preying on the weak and causing obesity?

Big difference is alcohol and fast food are legal;)

Rocco Jones
17-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Sorry no Sympathy, had the world at his feet, went to Geelong Grammar, drafted by the Bulldogs but chose not to work hard and wanted it all on a plate. Then allegedly starts sellling drugs , again the easy way to make money.

My sympathies are with the under privilege and those that don't get a chance in life.

Thing is we don't know other circumstances in his life that could have led to this but on the surface I see your point. I guess I am a pretty sympathetic guy but it reduces/increases depends on your chances in life.

Rocco Jones
17-03-2012, 04:51 PM

When it comes to preying on the weak, it's not how legal but how damaging something is that I really care about.

I think ectasy is more damaging than fast food/alcohol but wouldn't see an ectasy dealer as bad as a heroin dealer.

Either I won't be revelling in a guy who was a borderline delisting falling so hard.

Mofra
17-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Yep - but alcohol is far more destructive than MDMA.

Drunken Bum
17-03-2012, 05:01 PM

Alcohol causes far more problems in society than ecstasy, in fact most of societies problems with MDMA are in fact caused BECAUSE it is illegal.

The post i quoted was labeling him as a scum drug dealer insinuating that he was out pushing drugs down people throats.

AndrewP6
17-03-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm interested whether anyone who has no sympathy would view things the same way if it was their own child in that position. Whether he's a dealer or not, he's also someone's son. He may well be dealing, but he could have been like countless others who develop a chemical dependency, and dig such a deep hole the get involved in illegal activity to try and support it. A young man who throws it all away (or feels he has to) - thats sad.

stefoid
17-03-2012, 05:06 PM

Simple answers to complex problems?

ledge
17-03-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm interested whether anyone who has no sympathy would view things the same way if it was their own child in that position. Whether he's a dealer or not, he's also someone's son.

Heres my take and I have children who are 20 and 15 if they started selling drugs i wouldnt wish to know them, if they become a drug addict i would be searching for the scum who sold it to them.

I have sympathy for the addict but not the dealer.

Rocco Jones
17-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Alcohol causes far more problems in society than ecstasy, in fact

Username irony aside :) but I think that's due to volume rather than how damaging alcohol and ecstasy are on their own.

AndrewP6
17-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Heres my take and I have children who are 20 and 15 if they started selling drugs i wouldnt wish to know them, if they become a drug addict i would be searching for the scum who sold it to them.

And ast this point, we don't know if O'keefe is both.

Drunken Bum
17-03-2012, 05:14 PM

Dug user does not equal addict just as drinker does not equal alcoholic.

You do realise that your children will make their own decisions in life and should be held accountable for them like everyone else? If they become alcoholics will you be searching for the scum who sold it to them?

Rocco Jones
17-03-2012, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't bundle ecstasy into the really addictive drug group. I think the dangers can be more one off, bad batches etc.

AndrewP6
17-03-2012, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't bundle ecstasy into the really addictive drug group. I think the dangers can be more one off, bad batches etc.

Thats (allegedly) what he was found with - we don't know what he may have taken himself.

ledge
17-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Alcohol causes far more problems in society than ecstasy, in fact most of societies problems with MDMA are in fact caused BECAUSE it is illegal.

The post i quoted was labeling him as a scum drug dealer insinuating that he was out pushing drugs down people throats.

You can open another post on alcohol and obesity etc if you want but I am keeping this post to what Okeefe has done.
I am not insinuating anything, pretty straight to the point If your a seller of illegal drugs your scum fullstop.

Drunken Bum
17-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Username irony aside :) but I think that's due to volume rather than how damaging alcohol and ecstasy are on their own.

Hehe, i was going to mention the irony of my name :)

I think people would be very surprised at how widespread ecstasy use is. I can't speak from a health perspective because there have not been enough studies in that area, it isn't good for you i suspect but i am not convinced that it is more dangerous to your health than alcohol.
As far as other problems, violence, addiction etc, alcohol from my experience causes far more problems than MDMA even if you were to factor in how much they are used.

Rocco Jones
17-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Not having a go as I am part of this but does anyone else feel a bit odd/out of place discussiong this? It's a forum for our footy club. He is a guy who didn't even crack it for a senior game, hasn't been around for a couple of years and it's not even a footy issue. Once again don't want to be self-righteous because I would be clearly being hypocritical.

Drunken Bum
17-03-2012, 05:25 PM
You can open another post on alcohol and obesity etc if you want but I am keeping this post to what Okeefe has done.
I am not insinuating anything, pretty straight to the point If your a seller of illegal drugs your scum fullstop.

No point debating the subject with you then, your mind is obviously closed on the subject and not willing to listen to reason.

And this isn't the place for it, so i'm out

ledge
17-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Simple answers to complex problems?

Yeah why not . i would say his mum, dad and a proffessional footy club would have been through the complex problems , still didnt work, Fev is another example of efforts made by others but still dont learn, then again maybe he has, a bit late for his footy career though.
How much help do you give before its the end?
When what they are doing is dangerous to other ones lives in my opinion.

Rocco Jones
17-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Hehe, i was going to mention the irony of my name :)

I think people would be very surprised at how widespread ecstasy use is. I can't speak from a health perspective because there have not been enough studies in that area, it isn't good for you i suspect but i am not convinced that it is more dangerous to your health than alcohol.
As far as other problems, violence, addiction etc, alcohol from my experience causes far more problems than MDMA even if you were to factor in how much they are used.

I agree ecstasy is widespread but nowhere near as much as alcohol still I agree with your post. I think people who have 'issues' with ecstasy are a lot nice than their alchoholic counterparts.

ledge
17-03-2012, 05:32 PM
No point debating the subject with you then, your mind is obviously closed on the subject and not willing to listen to reason.

And this isn't the place for it, so i'm out

I wasnt after a debate just think its weird some find a way to defend a drug dealer by bringing alcohol and fast foods into it.:confused:

ledge
17-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Not having a go as I am part of this but does anyone else feel a bit odd/out of place discussiong this? It's a forum for our footy club. He is a guy who didn't even crack it for a senior game, hasn't been around for a couple of years and it's not even a footy issue. Once again don't want to be self-righteous because I would be clearly being hypocritical.

Think it comes about because of the recent Jarrah incident, we tend to find more wrong doers if we look deeper and its flavour of the month.
But in saying that we all knew Okeefe could play and it was never out in the open on why he got the flick, so 2 years down the track to see this in the news it becomes a discussion again.

Drunken Bum
17-03-2012, 05:43 PM
I wasnt after a debate just think its weird some find a way to defend a drug dealer by bringing alcohol and fast foods into it.:confused:

I was just curious as to whether you thought people that supplied alcohol and fast food were as much to blame as someone who supplied (illegal) drugs. You obviously don't think that people are responsible for their own decisions to take drugs so i was curious if you thought the same to people who drink, or smoke or whatever.
How is that not a fair comparison? Do you actually believe he is going out and holding people down and shoving them down their throats then repeating the process over and over until they become addicted so he can finally start making a profit?
And FWIW ecstasy isn't addictive, at least not physically like heroin or cigarettes although people can become psychologically dependent on them like almost anything

Drunken Bum
17-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Oh and i am not trying to defend him, he's done the wrong thing and he obviously has some issues, i just object to you have him hung drawn and quartered and and classifying him as scum on as little information as that. He may well be scum but whether or he was involved in selling ecstasy shouldn't be the major factor in deciding if he is scum or not in my opinion.
Each to their own though, i just find people getting so judgmental over people who take drugs funny that's all. The world has much bigger problems than whether someone decides to have a pill rather than have a drink on a night out.

I wrote a little essay on my thoughts about how i believe ALL drugs should be legal and my resonings. Have a read if you can be bothered, if not no big deal.
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150313728490328

Rocco Jones
17-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Oh and i am not trying to defend him, he's done the wrong thing and he obviously has some issues, i just object to you have him hung drawn and quartered and and classifying him as scum on as little information as that. He may well be scum but whether or he was involved in selling ecstasy shouldn't be the major factor in deciding if he is scum or not in my opinion.
Each to their own though, i just find people getting so judgmental over people who take drugs funny that's all. The world has much bigger problems than whether someone decides to have a pill rather than have a drink on a night out.

This is well and truly a 100% social rather than footy issue now but I am totally with you.

Drunken Bum
17-03-2012, 06:01 PM
This is well and truly a 100% social rather than footy issue now but I am totally with you.

Yeah sorry for going so far off topic, i've had my say on the subject and will stick to the footy from now on.

Hmm, beer o'clock i think ;)

ledge
17-03-2012, 06:04 PM
I was just curious as to whether you thought people that supplied alcohol and fast food were as much to blame as someone who supplied (illegal) drugs. You obviously don't think that people are responsible for their own decisions to take drugs so i was curious if you thought the same to people who drink, or smoke or whatever.
How is that not a fair comparison? Do you actually believe he is going out and holding people down and shoving them down their throats then repeating the process over and over until they become addicted so he can finally start making a profit?
And FWIW ecstasy isn't addictive, at least not physically like heroin or cigarettes although people can become psychologically dependent on them like almost anything

If you can find a post where I said that show me.
You insinuated that.

Its illegal to sell drugs, he knows it, you know it, i know it, we all know it, your defending a drug dealer by finding some other justification for it to be ok?

Drunken Bum
17-03-2012, 06:10 PM
If you can find a post where I said that show me.
You insinuated that.

Its illegal to sell drugs, he knows it, you know it, i know it, we all know it, your defending a drug dealer by finding some other justification for it to be ok?

So he isn't forcing people to take drugs then? So he is supplying something that there is a demand for, much the same way that a bottle shop is supplying something there is a demand for, hence the point of my comparison. He isn't making people become drug addicts just like a pub owner isnt making someone become an alcoholic.

Oh wait it is because it is illegal then that makes him scum? So i guess that makes all of us people who have ever driven a car 65kmh in a 60kmh zone scum then? i mean that is illegal right?

Just one question, if it was weed that he was selling would you be so vehement in your hatred for the dirty drug dealer? Honestly?

Rocco Jones
17-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Yeah sorry for going so far off topic, i've had my say on the subject and will stick to the footy from now on.

Hmm, beer o'clock i think ;)

Hahaha no need to apologise, I have enjoyed reading your posts in this thread.

I am about to head off for a beer as well!

ledge
17-03-2012, 06:36 PM
So he isn't forcing people to take drugs then? So he is supplying something that there is a demand for, much the same way that a bottle shop is supplying something there is a demand for, hence the point of my comparison. He isn't making people become drug addicts just like a pub owner isnt making someone become an alcoholic.

Oh wait it is because it is illegal then that makes him scum? So i guess that makes all of us people who have ever driven a car 65kmh in a 60kmh zone scum then? i mean that is illegal right?

Just one question, if it was weed that he was selling would you be so vehement in your hatred for the dirty drug dealer? Honestly?

Funny you mention weed was discussing it the other day with a lady, honestly, call me old fashioned mate but I am against any sort of drug, I am shocked at my age how many women I have met that smoke it.
I have never touched it never will and distance myself from any drug, scares the xxxx out of me.
Surprisingly enough I grew up in Braybrook, never saw it, maybe it was my era, when kids played sport and staying out after dark was the no no.

Hotdog60
17-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Don't people need to take responsibility for their own actions, whether a dealer, user, alcoholic or fast food junkie. No matter what the vice there has been a lot of money spent now days on public awareness that people should know better.

Now I'm off for a rum and coke.;)

ledge
17-03-2012, 06:52 PM

So what your saying is drug dealing should be ok and legal because other things are?
We dont live in a perfect world and I am very happy drugs are illegal as for alcohol yeah make that illegal too im fine with that but sadly it isnt.

Greystache
17-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Guys this is a footy forum, if you want to discuss the issue of drugs in society this is not the place. Can we leave it where it is.