PDA

View Full Version : Trade Pick 5

LostDog
18-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I am hearing from a lot of sources that our pick 5 could be the key to a Judd deal and us getting a Power Foward via a trade

Look at the teams that in the market for Judd
St Kilda, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Essendon

Kosi, Roughead just some names i can think of

What do you guys think is worthy of our pick 5 for a chance at judd for another team

Mantis
18-09-2007, 12:58 PM
I am hearing from a lot of sources that our pick 5 could be the key to a Judd deal and us getting a Power Foward via a trade

Look at the teams that in the market for Judd
St Kilda, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Essendon

Kosi, Roughead just some names i can think of

What do you guys think is worthy of our pick 5 for a chance at judd for another team

For pick #5 from the teams listed I would be after:

Hawthorn - Roughead, Franklin
Collingwood - Cloke, Reid
Essendon - Ryder, Gumbleton
St.Kilda - Riewoldt, Kosi

We need a ruck/ KPP who will play for atleast 8 to 10 years.

The Coon Dog
18-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Both on here & BF, people seem to have a view that pick 5 is the one pick that can be used to facilitate a trade involving Judd.

Why is our pick 5 deemed to be better than Melbourne's pick 4 or Richmond's pick 2 (leaving out Carlton with picks 1 & 3)?

westdog54
18-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Both on here & BF, people seem to have a view that pick 5 is the one pick that can be used to facilitate a trade involving Judd.

Why is our pick 5 deemed to be better than Melbourne's pick 4 or Richmond's pick 2 (leaving out Carlton with picks 1 & 3)?

Is it within the realms of possibility that we may be trading with a view to upgrading our pick? Would we have the currency on our list to facilitate that?

dog town
18-09-2007, 02:30 PM

Why is our pick 5 deemed to be better than Melbourne's pick 4 or Richmond's pick 2 (leaving out Carlton with picks 1 & 3)? Well Melbourne have stated an intention to throw everything at Judd which means they are likely to need 2 first round picks so they are unlikely to be giving much thought to trading one of them off. We dont know where Richmond stands yet and Carlton have ruled out their first pick I think so they would be looking for another one as well.

Mantis
18-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Is it within the realms of possibility that we may be trading with a view to upgrading our pick? Would we have the currency on our list to facilitate that?

From the outside it seems that we are the team in need of a quick fix in regard to a key forward or ruckman. For that reason we would have to be the team most likely to trade this pick for either of these options.

southerncross
18-09-2007, 06:31 PM
I think we should keep the pick unless something too good to refuse presents itself.

Go_Dogs
18-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Agreed.

Would we possibly look at downgrading the pick for a suitable player?

bulldogtragic
18-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Ryder, Gumbleton, Dowler, Roughead, Kosi.

Unless it's one of these i couldn't be interested.

JeanClaudeVasDeferen
18-09-2007, 08:44 PM
I think we should keep the pick unless something too good to refuse presents itself.

I agree. There are players more than suitable to our requirements in McEvoy, Henderson and Rance who will most likely be available at pick 5. I would hate to see it wasted on a populist quick fix.

DOG GOD
18-09-2007, 08:53 PM
yeah i want to keep the pick as well. I cant see any of those BIG fwds being traded, and i cant see the sense in carlton trading fev to get judd when judd wont have anyone to kick it to.

I personally dont want judd. we need to build a TEAM not an individual.

And i dont care where he goes as long as its not collingwood. PLEASE NO!!!!

Topdog
18-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Ryder, Gumbleton, Dowler, Roughead, Kosi.

Unless it's one of these i couldn't be interested.

Have to agree with that. Others like Saint Nick and Cloke we have no chance with. I'd actually love to get Roughy, he came on in leaps and bounds this year.

The Doctor
18-09-2007, 10:06 PM
If the Hawks get the green light from Judd I reckon and they wanted pick 5 I'd be asking for Mitch Thorpe.

southerncross
18-09-2007, 10:17 PM
If the Hawks get the green light from Judd I reckon and they wanted pick 5 I'd be asking for Mitch Thorpe.

What about Roughead? Is there any chance they would be that desperate to add pace to the midfield?

LostDoggy
18-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Id be more inetrested in Kosi, as a tall goto-forward which would also free up Johnno.. Kosi can also do a little bit of Ruck work..why not throw the pick#5 to saints i say.

Sockeye Salmon
18-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Id be more inetrested in Kosi, as a tall goto-forward which would also free up Johnno.. Kosi can also do a little bit of Ruck work..why not throw the pick#5 to saints i say.

Just re-signed - Heffernan rule.

Sockeye Salmon
18-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Roughead, Thorp, Reid.

Ryder and Gumbleton are WA boys, if they were involved they would go straight to West Coast.

Not too many others.

The Underdog
19-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Is there something about Ryder I'm missing. He goes ok, but I think he's an ok skinny ruckman who I'm not sure can hold down a KPP. He's been helped by Sheedy throwing his name out there at every opportunity. I reckon there's a bunch of better prospects out there.
Of course in the words of Homer "I have a history of missing the point"

W W Biscuit
19-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Is there something about Ryder I'm missing.

IMO, there are still queries in relation to his commitment to each and every contest. Not the type of player we need in a Bulldogs jumper.

Bulldog Revolution
19-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Given its very unlikely that Roughead, Reid or Thorp will be traded we should keep the pick and take another developing tall to add to Everitt, Williams and Minson.

Everyone sprouts off about how Hawthorn did the right think taking Roughead and Franklin and now that we have an opportunity to do similar and take a big at #5 we are talking about trading the pick - doesn't make sense to me

Go_Dogs
19-09-2007, 11:09 AM
What about a Bate or Dunn?

dog town
19-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Given its very unlikely that Roughead, Reid or Thorp will be traded we should keep the pick and take another developing tall to add to Everitt, Williams and Minson.

Everyone sprouts off about how Hawthorn did the right think taking Roughead and Franklin and now that we have an opportunity to do similar and take a big at #5 we are talking about trading the pick - doesn't make sense to me Yeah but most of us are talking about doing it to get one of the very players you speak of only with a year or two of development in them already. If you could snare a Thorpe, Roughhead, Read or a player along those lines then why wouldn't you have a go at it? You have had a chance to see how they are coming along in the AFL system. It doesn't matter if we draft them or we have traded for them as long as we get them. If we cant get that sort of player then of course we hold onto our pick but if we had any chance to get a quality young tall already in the system then I think you have to go for it. With draft picks we have no guarantees.

I think you were pretty much agreeing with that anyway just wasn't sure. I dont think the club would be silly enough to look at trading it for anything else.

dog town
19-09-2007, 11:17 AM
What about a Bate or Dunn? I like both players but not worth a pick 5. My brother thinks we should try and get Robbo packaged with one of those 2 for pick 5. Not sure thats the way to go personally. Its really hard to gauge the value of draft picks each year I reckon. When you look through the lists of top 10 picks over the last 5 years their are alot of average players but its also where most of the emerging stars come from. Gotta back in your recruiting managers call I suppose.

mjp
19-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Cooney - 2003
Ray - 2003
Griffen - 2004
Williams - 2004
Higgins - 2005
Everitt - 2006
==============

Our best young players - and those who look most likely to play 10 afl seasons - have been our first picks. We should keep the pick.

If we can get someone like Thorp, Gumbleton or maybe Reid for the pick - 1 year of development in a top tenner from last year - then fine. Beyond that, we should hang tough and take the pick.

There are no quick fixes...only a quick road to another 5 years of misery.

DOG GOD
19-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Cooney - 2003
Ray - 2003
Griffen - 2004
Williams - 2004
Higgins - 2005
Everitt - 2006
==============

Our best young players - and those who look most likely to play 10 afl seasons - have been our first picks. We should keep the pick.

If we can get someone like Thorp, Gumbleton or maybe Reid for the pick - 1 year of development in a top tenner from last year - then fine. Beyond that, we should hang tough and take the pick.

totally agree. we shouldnt use pick 5 for a quick fix..eg: robbo or the likes. draft a kid that will hopefully play 200+ games for us.

LostDoggy
19-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Cooney - 2003
Ray - 2003
Griffen - 2004
Williams - 2004
Higgins - 2005
Everitt - 2006
==============

Yeah, I agree, although some of our best players who are a few years older such as Cross, Gilbee and Harris have come from later picks in the draft, they've been pretty few and far between, I'd hate to see us waste our pick on someone that doesn't make it.

Dry Rot
19-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Cooney - 2003
Ray - 2003
Griffen - 2004
Williams - 2004
Higgins - 2005
Everitt - 2006
==============

Yes there have been some bizarre multi-player packages of ordinary and good players suggested for our Pick 5.

I'd much rather one bottle of Grange than a pallet load of cask wine.

The Underdog
19-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Definitely hold onto pick 5.
McGregor and Hudson certainly aren't worth it as some Crows on BF are suggesting.
Although I've drunk a pallet load of cask wine in my life but no Grange.

Just don't tell anyone Street cost us pick 20. Imagine what they'll charge us for a decent ruckman these days.

Bulldog Revolution
19-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Cooney - 2003
Ray - 2003
Griffen - 2004
Williams - 2004
Higgins - 2005
Everitt - 2006
==============

Absolutely - my view is that we keep our first two selections - Take the best player at no.5 and then try to get your lovechild with our seoond pick mjp.

Clayton has had little trouble selecting elite talent that early in the draft. Whilst Cooney, Ray, Griffen, Williams, Higgins and Everitt have question marks over them, and this summer should reveal a lot about their character - there is little doubting their raw talent.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-09-2007, 07:30 PM

Everyone sprouts off about how Hawthorn did the right think taking Roughead and Franklin and now that we have an opportunity to do similar and take a big at #5 we are talking about trading the pick - doesn't make sense to me

Agree, unless a club very keen to land Judd was to offer up say a top line prospect who has been in the system for one or 2 years I would vote to keep our pick 5 and develop from within.

bornadog
19-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Definitely hold onto pick 5.
McGregor and Hudson certainly aren't worth it as some Crows on BF are suggesting.
Although I've drunk a pallet load of cask wine in my life but no Grange.

Just don't tell anyone Street cost us pick 20. Imagine what they'll charge us for a decent ruckman these days.

BTW, who was pick 20? (I hate to ask)

Sockeye Salmon
19-09-2007, 09:46 PM
BTW, who was pick 20? (I hate to ask)

Sam Butler.

Geelong taded the pick they got from us for David Haynes. As bad as we did, Geelong did worse.

FrediKanoute
20-09-2007, 12:58 AM
Cooney - 2003
Ray - 2003
Griffen - 2004
Williams - 2004
Higgins - 2005
Everitt - 2006
==============

I've doucmented my thoughts extensively on BF, so I'll have a go here. There is nothing wrong in trading pick 5 provided you don't undersell the pick. Simply put if you can get a player (palyer pick combo) for pick 5 which is better than what you would otherwise get for pick 5 you are better off trading it.

Thorpe or Reid from last years draft would probably have gone top 5 in any other draft year. Would Henderson, McEvoy or Rance? If yes then keep pick 5, but if we are keeping pick 5 b/c it is pick 5 then we're missing the point. The difficulty is of course assessing how good these guys could be.

I accept you points re who we have drafted in the last 5 years with our first pick - but equally our first pick has produced a couple of failures - Walsh, Power and McMahon (good player yes. 1st round pick????). In Thorpe & Reid you have 2 guys who have been in the AFL system for a year so you have a better picture as to where they are at. Similarly with Roughhead etc. The key is not to over pay. There are about 4 or 5 teams who will chase Judd hard, for a variety of reasons and all aside from Carlton need another pick to make the deal happen.

The Coon Dog
20-09-2007, 01:02 AM
It really is simple.

Do you think the player you are offered in exchange will be better than who you wish to draft?

If yes, trade, if no, don't trade.

FrediKanoute
20-09-2007, 01:40 AM
It really is simple.

Do you think the player you are offered in exchange will be better than who you wish to draft?

If yes, trade, if no, don't trade.

Yep - thanks. It really is that simple. No sense getting worked up about it. You have to trust Clayton's judgement here.

southerncross
20-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Yep - thanks. It really is that simple. No sense getting worked up about it. You have to trust Clayton's judgement here.

I do trust his judgement but I want him to get a better mix of players to.

MrMahatma
23-09-2007, 12:02 AM
I think it's best to keep the pick and drafting a good kid each year. Even if we won the flag this year, I'd say keep pick 17 and get the best kid available. I think clubs that stay in the first round each year and can pick up a good kid will be able to get sustained success. If you're continually topping up your list with at least one good/very good kid each year you'll be laughing.