PDA

View Full Version : Increasing our membership and promoting our club in the future

Eastdog
11-03-2012, 01:43 PM
I thought that I would start a thread about ways our club could increase its membership and promote itself in the future. The obvious one is success. If we had the success then the kids of today would want to support the Doggies very much like what happened with Hawthorn in the 1980s and recently possibly with Geelong. I was thinking though that the club along with its presence in the Western Suburbs can from time to time during the year visit the Northern, Eastern Suburbs where I live and Southern/Bayside suburbs. Even though these areas arent traditionally our heartland it would be good to promote the club outside the West to possibly increase supporter and membership. I thought this would be a good idea especially for our club as its membership/supporter base is not very high. Be good to hear your thoughts.

ledge
11-03-2012, 05:30 PM
They do have an east meets west day and a supporters group called east/west

Desipura
12-03-2012, 02:18 PM
They should also train in one of the biggest expanding suburbs in the west , Point Cook. An AFL approved surface has been laid.
There are so many new estates in Point Cook, they would be foolish not to entertain the thought of having a secondary base out there.

GVGjr
12-03-2012, 02:39 PM
They should also train in one of the biggest expanding suburbs in the west , Point Cook. An AFL approved surface has been laid.
There are so many new estates in Point Cook, they would be foolish not to entertain the thought of having a secondary base out there.

They need to forget about all the short term efforts like the Sunshine Coast, Darwin and NZ and just concentrate on the area's like you mentioned.
We have invested in the Western Front theme and need to make sure that emerging area's like Point Cook feel aligned to the club.

bornadog
12-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Here are some ideas we had back in 2009:

link (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5535&highlight=increasing+membership)

LostDoggy
14-03-2012, 09:23 AM
I don't necessarily agree with the whole “western suburbs” thing. It was relevant 20-30 years ago, but today there are fans from every club living in every street. Club loyalties most often revolve around family ties, not geographic location, and people no longer live in the one area for their entire lives.

I also don't agree with the notion that we need a flag to get members. Proof: North Melbourne.

The club just needs to keep working hard at making members feel a part of the club. It's a long process, and there are no quick shortcuts.

Desipura
14-03-2012, 09:38 AM
I don't necessarily agree with the whole “western suburbs” thing. It was relevant 20-30 years ago, but today there are fans from every club living in every street. Club loyalties most often revolve around family ties, not geographic location, and people no longer live in the one area for their entire lives.

I also don't agree with the notion that we need a flag to get members. Proof: North Melbourne.

The club just needs to keep working hard at making members feel a part of the club. It's a long process, and there are no quick shortcuts.
People in estates like Point Cook have migrated from overseas ie Sth Africa, England and India.
We need to introduce them to this wonderful game. Throw in a 3 game membership with their Council Rates.

LostDoggy
14-03-2012, 01:00 PM
People in estates like Point Cook have migrated from overseas ie Sth Africa, England and India.
We need to introduce them to this wonderful game. Throw in a 3 game membership with their Council Rates.

My point stands. There is no more reason for them to follow the Bulldogs than Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, Carlton, etc. As I said, for the most part, people don't follow the “local” club anymore. They will follow a club they're made to feel welcome at though, so the challenge to the club is to create new and different strategies to reach out to these people, rather than just stand up and claim, “You're in the west, so go for us”.

It's an OK hook if it's part of a wider integrated campaign.

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-03-2012, 01:10 PM

The Western region is the fastest growing in the State and justifies promoting particularly with such an untapped ethnic base to draw on. Apart from Point Cook there is huge growth areas in places like Melton, Werribee, Caroline Springs etc. Essendon and Hawthorn have effectively cultivated the northern and eastern suburbs and it makes sense for the WB to do likewise in the West where it has made a huge effort to become the Community Club.Our link with the Williamstown FC has also provided a strong link.
Members are important for the ongoing financial future of the Club.

ledge
14-03-2012, 01:14 PM
My point stands. There is no more reason for them to follow the Bulldogs than Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, Carlton, etc. As I said, for the most part, people don't follow the “local” club anymore. They will follow a club they're made to feel welcome at though, so the challenge to the club is to create new and different strategies to reach out to these people, rather than just stand up and claim, “You're in the west, so go for us”.

It's an OK hook if it's part of a wider integrated campaign.

We go on about the west but why dont the club start with naming suburbs , use the old american poster with Barry Hall pointing in the old uncle Sam image, under it we want you Point Cook, change suburb every week, make the actual suburbs know they are part of us, calling it the west just doesnt seem so intimate, naming the suburbs means more in my opinion.

Eastdog
14-03-2012, 01:58 PM

I agree with this. Sure there are supporters that live near where the club is based but today location does not matter anymore. For me I grew up and have lived in the Eastern Suburbs for most of my life and have supported the Bulldogs for nearly 11 years after a match I went to in 2001 that we won and have stuck with the Doggies. Do you think though that spreading ourselves to the rest of Melbourne would benefit us in the long term for people who support the Dogs but dont live in the west and to possibly gain new supporters.

LostDoggy
14-03-2012, 02:31 PM
We go on about the west but why dont the club start with naming suburbs , use the old american poster with Barry Hall pointing in the old uncle Sam image, under it we want you Point Cook, change suburb every week, make the actual suburbs know they are part of us, calling it the west just doesnt seem so intimate, naming the suburbs means more in my opinion.

Like.

Doggy
14-03-2012, 06:37 PM
How about a Western Bulldogs billboard inbound on the Tulla freeway. Let's say on the Ring road overpass just before Airport West.
That way the first thing" AFL" the new arrivals to the state/country see is us.

Hawthorn had billboards on both the inbound and outbound lanes on the Monash freeway last year. You could spend a good 30 minutes during peak hour staring at them.

The same is now possible with the Ring road upgrade.......:mad:

Eastdog
14-03-2012, 07:20 PM
How about a Western Bulldogs billboard inbound on the Tulla freeway. Let's say on the Ring road overpass just before Airport West.

Hawthorn had billboards on both the inbound and outbound lanes on the Monash freeway last year. You could spend a good 30 minutes during peak hour staring at them.

That's a good start. I reckon we should have at least one Billboard on each of the main freeways around Melbourne. Even though our club is based in the West there is no reason why we can't go to other areas of Melbourne to promote the club.

Mantis
14-03-2012, 07:35 PM
That's a good start. I reckon we should have at least one Billboard on each of the main freeways around Melbourne. Even though our club is based in the West there is no reason why we can't go to other areas of Melbourne to promote the club.

Who is going to pay for these billboards?

Doggy
14-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Who is going to pay for these billboards?

How much did we spend on the TV commercial?, of which i have seen only a couple of times.

Eastdog
14-03-2012, 08:31 PM
How much did we spend on the TV commercial?, of which i have seen only a couple of times.

That would be interesting to find out. Ive seen it a few times on foxtel during the Bulldogs v North match. Mantis has a point about the money but do you think maybe the club could have a few links in the North, East and South of Melbourne for Doggies fans in those areas. Whats the best way to go about it.

jeemak
15-03-2012, 12:22 AM
That would be interesting to find out. Ive seen it a few times on foxtel during the Bulldogs v North match. Mantis has a point about the money but do you think maybe the club could have a few links in the North, East and South of Melbourne for Doggies fans in those areas. Whats the best way to go about it.

Most of the the south, east and north of Melbourne, at least for the first 30km's have already been developed and have long standing residences there with strong family ties and by association strong allegiances to football clubs. Any outreach program from a membership point of view would be merely preaching to the converted.

The reality is that most of our supporters either need to sign up for a membership for the first time or renew a membership that has lapsed over the years, for whatever reason. We can make up some gains through targeting developing areas of Melbourne and its outer western suburbs, but the most important thing is converting as many supporters as possible to full members.

Like it or not, on field success or the hope of on field success is the biggest draw to this. And while we managed a few preliminary finals in a row we really need to go one step further and play in a grand final or two, and win one along the way. North won a couple in the 90's and they didn't capitalise on that, the key is to ensure that if you do win a flag you make hay while the sun shines. I don't think Hawrthorn would be as strong as they are today without having won a flag in 2008. They need to be commended on the way they marketed their club since that win.

bornadog
15-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Most of the the south, east and north of Melbourne, at least for the first 30km's have already been developed and have long standing residences there with strong family ties and by association strong allegiances to football clubs. Any outreach program from a membership point of view would be merely preaching to the converted.

The reality is that most of our supporters either need to sign up for a membership for the first time or renew a membership that has lapsed over the years, for whatever reason. We can make up some gains through targeting developing areas of Melbourne and its outer western suburbs, but the most important thing is converting as many supporters as possible to full members.

Like it or not, on field success or the hope of on field success is the biggest draw to this. And while we managed a few preliminary finals in a row we really need to go one step further and play in a grand final or two, and win one along the way. North won a couple in the 90's and they didn't capitalise on that, the key is to ensure that if you do win a flag you make hay while the sun shines. I don't think Hawrthorn would be as strong as they are today without having won a flag in 2008. They need to be commended on the way they marketed their club since that win.

Good Post Jeemak, and totally agree.

The West has more than 500,000 people living there and growing and we have a measly 30,000 supporters. Surely this is where we need to entrench ourselves and get the new migrants to follow our game. Its a pity that Majek Daw wasn't recruited by us because I think we would have gained more supporters in the Sudanse community through our programmes we run connecting with the community.

LostDoggy
15-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Sorry, I know I've had my say already but wanted to reply to a few good points:

The Western region is the fastest growing in the State and justifies promoting particularly with such an untapped ethnic base to draw on. Apart from Point Cook there is huge growth areas in places like Melton, Werribee, Caroline Springs etc. Essendon and Hawthorn have effectively cultivated the northern and eastern suburbs and it makes sense for the WB to do likewise in the West where it has made a huge effort to become the Community Club.Our link with the Williamstown FC has also provided a strong link.
Members are important for the ongoing financial future of the Club.

Nobody doubts this, and I'm not saying that targeting the western suburbs is a bad thing in itself, just that it's not going to produce anything without being part of a wider integrated campaign, and backed up with a club culture of welcoming your members and making them feel like they belong.

The billboards in these locations are incredibly expensive. They are high-visibility locations with massive amounts of traffic going by. The cost of a billboard for a month would probably pay a rookie's wage.

Hawthorn are very good at making their members feel like they're welcome and appreciated. The consecutive-years-a-member badge on their scarves is pure genius. When they topped 50k in 2009, Kennett wrote them a letter, and reportedly (though I can't confirm it) signed each and every one. Also, I would suggest that the reason they have a lot of members today is more to do with a big fella wearing number 23 than the flag they won in 2008, although it certainly helped.

Essendon last year found a street full of Bombers members and sent the players around to door knock, thanking each and every one of them.

I refuse to subscribe to the theory that until we win a flag we can't better our membership figures. It's so pessimistic an outlook as to be debilitating — without a better membership base and the funds that result, we won't be able to compete on that level like the other power clubs in the league. This will only get worse with free agency. It's more important now than ever for fans to sign up, especially at our club.

Making members feel like a more integral part of the club could change those attitudes. Where they live is irrelevant.

SonofScray
18-03-2012, 02:56 PM
The club just needs to keep at the idea of the Western Front, be explicit and aggressive in these communities. If you live out here, this is your team. Make it feel like less of a choice and more of a given. Its just what you do out in the western suburbs.

Plug the Footscray name and roots, call out the suburbs in Brimbank, Melton, Wyndham and Hobson's Bay. If that can get us around 30k and growing then it might just be a matter of working with what we've got from there.

Eastdog
18-03-2012, 03:07 PM
The club just needs to keep at the idea of the Western Front, be explicit and aggressive in these communities. If you live out here, this is your team. Make it feel like less of a choice and more of a given. Its just what you do out in the western suburbs.

Plug the Footscray name and roots, call out the suburbs in Brimbank, Melton, Wyndham and Hobson's Bay. If that can get us around 30k and growing then it might just be a matter of working with what we've got from there.

I definitely see what your saying SonofScray in getting people in these areas to support us but as me and BornaScragger have said no one these days follows the "local" team anymore as I'm sure people support other teams and live in the West. BornaScragger suggested that the club needs to make the supporters feel welcome like he described with how Hawthorn do it. I think ultimately it comes down to how well we do on field and success but that is also not a guarantee like with North Melbourne when they were successful in the 1990s.

bornadog
18-03-2012, 03:29 PM
I definitely see what your saying SonofScray in getting people in these areas to support us but as me and BornaScragger have said no one these days follows the "local" team anymore as I'm sure people support other teams and live in the West. BornaScragger suggested that the club needs to make the supporters feel welcome like he described with how Hawthorn do it. I think ultimately it comes down to how well we do on field and success but that is also not a guarantee like with North Melbourne when they were successful in the 1990s.

I am convinced with our supporters that unless we can make the GF and win a premiership, many will not sign up and we will be stuck around the 30,000 to 32,000 core supporters. I know North were successful in the 90's but I don't believe they have a strong supporter base to call upon to become members. For starters the suburb of North Melbourne is very small and doesn't really reflect the North of Melbourne either. The team colours and mascot are also not exciting to young kids.

We need sustained success in the next few years to start building for a bigger supporter base in the future. Don't forget the kids now won't be buying adult membership for at least ten to fifteen years time.

SonofScray
18-03-2012, 03:36 PM

Don't disagree with the idea that fanaticism is no longer limited to the idea of the local team. In fact, I agree 100%.

The balance is always between breadth and depth. I'm over simplifying, but it is a key idea in marketing. I think the shift to Western Bulldogs as a re branding exercise had a lot of holes in it. Was it about breadth (widening our appeal) or depth. At the time it was stated it was about breadth, which was wrong IMO. The new campaign seems to focus more on the idea of depth.

They've put too much time and money into to undo anything, the Western Front campaign seems to be correcting some of the errors and filling the holes. Given your main point, it still holds up. You plant enough seeds out here and when people move that fanaticism moves with them.Its a pretty long term view though and yes it does narrow the focus to the point of having some people feel alienated, or an outsider.

Eastdog
18-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Don't disagree with the idea that fanaticism is no longer limited to the idea of the local team. In fact, I agree 100%.

The balance is always between breadth and depth. I'm over simplifying, but it is a key idea in marketing. I think the shift to Western Bulldogs as a re branding exercise had a lot of holes in it. Was it about breadth (widening our appeal) or depth. At the time it was stated it was about breadth, which was wrong IMO. The new campaign seems to focus more on the idea of depth.

They've put too much time and money into to undo anything, the Western Front campaign seems to be correcting some of the errors and filling the holes. Given your main point, it still holds up. You plant enough seeds out here and when people move that fanaticism moves with them.Its a pretty long term view though and yes it does narrow the focus to the point of having some people feel alienated, or an outsider.

Im thinking that all the teams have supporters in there area where there based but I think these days on your street for example there are supporters from different clubs. As bornadog says I think its about if we make a GF and win it then you might see an increase from the 30,000-32,000 members.

Eastdog
18-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Some areas in Melbourne that are growing

South West Melbourne which we already are actively involved with. Wydnham is one of the fatest growing areas in Melbourne.

Outer North: Epping, South Morang, Mernda, Doreen, Attwood, Greenvale, Roxburgh Park, Craigieburn (Even though this isn't in the Bulldogs area it is a big developing area and the Bulldogs could go there from time to time and have a presence.

Eastern Suburbs: This is a big area and has the East West Day annually for all Dogs fans in the East. I reckon that it could be promoted much more than it is.

I also think the Bayside areas, outer South Eastern suburbs and Gippsland would be good to have a presence as there are quite a few Dogs fans from Gippsland.

Going to any area that is growing would be great for our club who doesn't have a big supporter base to get involved with.

LostDoggy
18-05-2012, 03:53 PM

It could even be time for the Club to open Western Front shops in Werrribee Plaza and Watergardens Shopping Centre , if they had a rotation of players doing a shift working there or doing promotions and had the full range of services including merchandise and membership I,m sure it would raise the profile of the Club

I spoke about Club promotion a while ago , what we agreed was a great idea was to do a " Western Bulldogs Membership Drive " , with a convoy of cars as many as possible you leave from Whitten Oval and drive to Portland stopping at Warrnambool on the way and have a promotion function and stay overnight in Portland then drive to Hamilton then on to Ararat and then Ballarat for a promotion lunch then back to Whitten Oval

It could be done twice a year the last weekend of February or the first weekend of March and the last weekend of November or the first weekend of December

If you could get 100 or more cars in the convoy it would make it newsworthy thats for sure and if every year it just builds and builds it could be a special event for the Club

Eastdog
25-05-2012, 12:09 AM
This is another idea. We could have club venues across Melbourne for Bulldogs supporters to know to watch games like if we are playing interstate and people don't have foxtel. I know Collingwood has 4 club venues across Melbourne in Caroline Springs, Lilydale, Diamond Creek, Ringwood. We kind of have the Peninsula Club in Dromana as a club venue and the Whitten Oval of course. If we can have say 1 venue in the Eastern Suburbs, Northern Suburbs, Bayside region that would be very good for Dogs fans in those areas who want a place to go to with other Bulldogs supporters.

Happy Days
25-05-2012, 12:59 PM
This is another idea. We could have club venues across Melbourne for Bulldogs supporters to know to watch games like if we are playing interstate and people don't have foxtel. I know Collingwood has 4 club venues across Melbourne in Caroline Springs, Lilydale, Diamond Creek, Ringwood. We kind of have the Peninsula Club in Dromana as a club venue and the Whitten Oval of course. If we can have say 1 venue in the Eastern Suburbs, Northern Suburbs, Bayside region that would be very good for Dogs fans in those areas who want a place to go to with other Bulldogs supporters.

FWIW Collingwood lost several million dollars on the Diamond Creek venture.

Eastdog
25-05-2012, 01:07 PM
FWIW Collingwood lost several million dollars on the Diamond Creek venture.

What happened there? Why wasn't it a good venture

strebla
25-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Why don't we get Thor to toss the coin holding his hammer. My understanding is is a huge doggies fan so sick of the magpie celeb grabbing with his new movie being so big right now we should have pics of him in doggies gear in all the papers. I know Julia is our number one ticket holder but there is a big chance for our promo staff here just not sure they realise it.

Eastdog
25-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Why don't we get Thor to toss the coin holding his hammer. My understanding is is a huge doggies fan so sick of the magpie celeb grabbing with his new movie being so big right now we should have pics of him in doggies gear in all the papers. I know Julia is our number one ticket holder but there is a big chance for our promo staff here just not sure they realise it.

Yes I read that somewhere that Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is a Bulldogs supporter. We should do that at one game where he tosses the coin.

strebla
25-05-2012, 04:17 PM
His brother is on the Chanel ten underworld type show I wonder if he is also a bulldog?

Eastdog
25-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Ive also heard that John Roskam is a Bulldogs fan. Scott Major another actor supports us too.

LostDoggy
28-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Shane Jacobsen (Kenny) is a big fan too, from what I've heard. And Wil Anderson. I guess being a Bulldogs supporter engenders a great sense of humour.

Eastdog
28-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Shane Jacobsen (Kenny) is a big fan too, from what I've heard. And Wil Anderson. I guess being a Bulldogs supporter engenders a great sense of humour.

Also cricketer Jason Gillespie supports us as well. For people who went this year to the East Meets West Day did you think it was promoted enough? I reckon they would definitely promote it more and more people will come out from the East who follow the Bulldogs. Also they should have a North meets West day as well every year somewhere in the Northern Suburbs for Dogs fan out there.

Murphy'sLore
28-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Ive also heard that John Roskam is a Bulldogs fan. Scott Major another actor support us too.

Really? I used to sit next to John Roskam in law lectures back in the day. You'd think supporting the Bulldogs would have given him more compassion for the underdog!

Eastdog
28-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Really? I used to sit next to John Roskam in law lectures back in the day. You'd think supporting the Bulldogs would have given him more compassion for the underdog!

He has been on the abc q and a program and in his brief bio about him it said he was a Bulldogs fan. What do you think of a North meets West Day Murphy's Lore for Northern Western Bulldog fans very like what we have in the East very year for Eastern Western Bulldog fans.

Murphy'sLore
28-05-2012, 01:52 PM
I don't know if we're far enough away from the Whitten Oval to justify having our own event -- we make it across to Footscray a few times a year. It's not that long a trek! A North West Day is a nice idea though I'd be nervous about turnout.

Eastdog
28-05-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't know if we're far enough away from the Whitten Oval to justify having our own event -- we make it across to Footscray a few times a year. It's not that long a trek! A North West Day is a nice idea though I'd be nervous about turnout.

You're probably right you are still close to the Whitten Oval.

LostDoggy
31-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Hawthorn are very good at making their members feel like they're welcome and appreciated. The consecutive-years-a-member badge on their scarves is pure genius. When they topped 50k in 2009, Kennett wrote them a letter, and reportedly (though I can't confirm it) signed each and every one.

Making members feel like a more integral part of the club could change those attitudes. Where they live is irrelevant.

These are the key issues for mine. Much of the thread seems to be addressing brand awareness rather than membership. Still very important and a support mechanism that we need to grow the supporter/member base but the key for mine is what value does a member get that a supporter can't buy at the gate on game day? Yes a nice scarf (depending on the year), but a member probably wants to feel special. They are parting with anything upto several hundred dollars so what do we do that makes our support aspire to become members? I still think we need a value ad. Members only updates from the coach or players. Can't we get Will or some other brain to do a weekly members newsletter with some really clear player insights (as an example). Members only events at Whitten Oval i.e the invite ONLY goes to the membership database (not the general press) to let them know Danny Southern is holding a Q&A on Tuesday 6th of XXXX. I'm not advocating blocking supporters from such an event but let the members be "in the know".

I think we (and Norf) have challengers many other clubs don't in growing supporters into members. The big Vic clubs get members, as their supporters need to get social club membership to get GF tickets. You'd never get a GF ticket if you weren't a member (or an MCC member) and wanted to see the <filth/baggers/dons/tigers> play. Not sure the perception is the same for us no matter the reality. All of Geelong/West Coast/Freo get naturally high memberships through having boutique home grounds as non members simply can't get a seat at home games. Adelaide is (was) the first/only SA team so huge interest in membership they've retained since. So really, IMO, we need to get creative in a way none of the others need to as we don't have a natural value beyond gate entry that all of the previously listed are able to tap into.

LostDoggy
31-05-2012, 10:21 AM
These are the key issues for mine. Much of the thread seems to be addressing brand awareness rather than membership. Still very important and a support mechanism that we need to grow the supporter/member base but the key for mine is what value does a member get that a supporter can't buy at the gate on game day? Yes a nice scarf (depending on the year), but a member probably wants to feel special. They are parting with anything upto several hundred dollars so what do we do that makes our support aspire to become members? I still think we need a value ad. Members only updates from the coach or players. Can't we get Will or some other brain to do a weekly members newsletter with some really clear player insights (as an example). Members only events at Whitten Oval i.e the invite ONLY goes to the membership database (not the general press) to let them know Danny Southern is holding a Q&A on Tuesday 6th of XXXX. I'm not advocating blocking supporters from such an event but let the members be "in the know".

I think we (and Norf) have challengers many other clubs don't in growing supporters into members. The big Vic clubs get members, as their supporters need to get social club membership to get GF tickets. You'd never get a GF ticket if you weren't a member (or an MCC member) and wanted to see the <filth/baggers/dons/tigers> play. Not sure the perception is the same for us no matter the reality. All of Geelong/West Coast/Freo get naturally high memberships through having boutique home grounds as non members simply can't get a seat at home games. Adelaide is (was) the first/only SA team so huge interest in membership they've retained since. So really, IMO, we need to get creative in a way none of the others need to as we don't have a natural value beyond gate entry that all of the previously listed are able to tap into.

I think you're spot on on the issue of GF tickets, as I remember we were selling out social club during the 2008-10 years.

I like the idea of an event for Members only. Anyone can rock up at the door, but they have to sign up as members right then and there to gain entry. It could be something as simple as a “Bulldogs Expo”, like a mini tradeshow but with different players at different tables/stands, answering questions and signing autographs, etc. There could be an address by the Prez and coach, and perhaps even let people take photographs with the premiership cup from 1954 (this is something else Hawthorn do on occasion). Obviously, full care taken to protect it.

It's something like this, something innovative as you say, that would add a lot of value and “exclusivity” to being a member outside just getting into games.

Eastdog
27-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Obviously we need success to gain more supporters to the club. Just imagine and I mentioned it in a previous post somewhere that if we were like Hawthorn in the 1980's do you reckon we would be getting over 40,000 signing up today?

I think the best way to gain new supporters is to go like I've said to the developing areas in Melbourne's East, South East, North and West and have a presence there in those growing areas is important for our club.

Eastdog
29-08-2012, 04:30 PM
I also think in terms of the community work the club does I reckon they should do more outside of the West from time to time which I think is what other clubs do reading about what they do in the community outside of their heartlands.