PDA

View Full Version : The Round #1 Team

GVGjr
12-03-2012, 10:37 AM
After three NAB cup games how do you see the team taking shape? Who's in?

LostDoggy
12-03-2012, 10:56 AM
I hope to see Clay Smith as a starter! The kid can play.

ledge
12-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Lake, Clay come to mind straight away... Roughead, Skinner and maybe Dickson, would love to see Campbell but that could be a few weeks away, we still have one practice match to go according to the NAB fixture, no idea who against though it just said practice matches due to not knowing the grand finalists.

Hope its at Whitten oval would love to go to that, but thats a pipe dream.

Maddog37
12-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Geelong at Geelong on Saturday I think.

GVGjr
12-03-2012, 11:09 AM
How about locking in the defenders, midfield and forwards etc and then any players you think might debut?

Mantis
12-03-2012, 11:32 AM
B: Wood, Lake, Hargrave
HB: Murf, Markovic, Picken

C: Dahlhaus, Boyd, Cross

HF: Gia, Jones, Higgins
F: Grant, Roughy, Cooney

R: Minson, Griff, Libba

Int: Smith, Addison, ??

Greystache
12-03-2012, 11:39 AM
B: Wood Lake Hargrave

HB: Murphy Markovic Addison

C: Smith Liberatore Cross

HF: Grant Jones Cooney

F: Gia Roughead Dahlhaus

R: Minson Boyd Griffen

Int: Higgins Picken Vezspremi ??

There's a few gaps in there at the moment.

Doggy
12-03-2012, 11:47 AM

HB: Murphy, Markovic, Picken

C: Dahlhaus, Boyd, Cross

HF: Gia, Jones, Higgins

F: Grant, Campbell, Cooney

R: Minson, Griffen, Liberatore

Int: Skinner, Smith, Wallis, Addison

bornadog
12-03-2012, 12:13 PM
we still have one practice match to go according to the NAB fixture, no idea who against though it just said practice matches due to not knowing the grand finalists.

Hope its at Whitten oval would love to go to that, but thats a pipe dream.

Geelong at Geelong on Saturday I think.

Correct

The Underdog
12-03-2012, 12:28 PM

HB: Murphy, Markovic, Addison

C: Dahlhaus, Boyd, Veszpremi

HF: Giansiracusa, Jones, Higgins

F: Grant, Cordy, Cooney

R: Minson, Griffen, Picken

Int: Liberatore, Smith, Cross, Howard

Could use the return of Sherman, Tutt or anyone else with pace.

bornadog
12-03-2012, 03:01 PM

HB: Murphy Markovic Addison (the coach will pick him, I prefer Howard)

HF: Grant Jones Higgins

F: Gia Roughhead Dahlhaus

Int: Cooney Picken Vezspremi, Wallis

Dazza
12-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Anyone think we might be in for a rude awakening in round 1?

West Coast have looked very very good so far this year.

ledge
12-03-2012, 03:06 PM

Im not too sure, if we play this hard at the footy game we wont lose by much, West Coast at home is scary though, i can see teams getting smashed by them.

Mantis
12-03-2012, 03:10 PM

I guess that depends on what your expectations are for both rd 1 & the season in general.

bornadog
12-03-2012, 03:16 PM

They were very good last year and could go all the way this year. I am expecting a loss in round one.

LostDoggy
12-03-2012, 03:28 PM
I guess that depends on what your expectations are for both rd 1 & the season in general.

I wanna see us go in hard and win plenty of contested footy. If that means a narrow 2-3 goal loss I would take the positives. No doubt they could give us another smashing if it was played in Perth.

DragzLS1
12-03-2012, 03:29 PM
I don't see us loosing by much round 1 tbh they will under estimate us

AndrewP6
12-03-2012, 03:40 PM

Not sure it'd be a rude awakening, but I think we'll struggle... 4-5 goals IMO

Go_Dogs
12-03-2012, 03:58 PM
B: Wood, Lake, Addison
HB: Hargrave, Markovic, Murphy
C: Picken, Boyd, Cross
HF: Giansiracusa, Jones, Grant
F: Cooney, Cordy, Dahlhaus
R: Minson, Griffen, Liberatore
I/C: Higgins, Veszpremi, Smith Sub: Howard

I'm going for Cordy - reward for a solid pre-season, and I think he offers a little more around than ground than Roughy at the moment - important against WCE. Happy to wait on the last practice game before making the final call on this one though.

Howard as sub, don't think his form has been too bad so far but probably a few others just ahead of him at the moment.

Hopefully we don't bring anyone in who hasn't played yet, so Sherman, Tutt etc should have to work their way back in over the early rounds.

It's a fairly young team, but I don't really see that line up being pushed off the ball too easily.

jazzadogs
12-03-2012, 04:06 PM

HB: Murphy Markovic Veszpremi

C: Griffen Libba Cross

HF: Dahlhaus Jones Gia

F: Higgins Roughead Skinner

Ruck: Minson Boyd Smith

Int: Addison, Grant, Cooney, Wallis

Would be great to see Tutt, Sherman, Gilbee (is he injured? If not he would replace Wallis).

So far think that Skinner has outshone Grant, Addison has done everything asked of him so far, Vez has shown good signs off half back.

Been impressed with Tom Campbell, but the fact he didn't play first rounds of NAB means I can't see him going straight in.

Coons could possibly be the sub? Or he could be subbed out?

Still a while to go anyway, we'll get a pretty decent idea of our Rd 1 team when they line up on Saturday.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2012, 04:39 PM
I think realistically there's probably 1 or 2 spots left, and I would say it is between Veszpremi, Skinner, Howard and maybe Dickson.

It depends on match-ups from that point. Skinner would be enticing though.

bulldogsman
12-03-2012, 06:04 PM

HB: Murph Markovic Vespa

C: Smith Boyd Cross

HF: Higgins Jones Dahlhaus

F: Gia Cordy Skinner

R: Minson Liberatore Griffen

Int: Picken, Grant, Wallis Sub Cooney

Mantis
12-03-2012, 07:00 PM
C: Smith Boyd Cross

Good luck to the forwards.

westbulldog
12-03-2012, 08:18 PM
West Coast are in very good form. Their run out of defence sets up a lot of their scores - has to be stopped. Negating Dean Cox might keep us in touch but I fear a massacre.

ledge
12-03-2012, 08:53 PM
West Coast are in very good form. Their run out of defence sets up a lot of their scores - has to be stopped. Negating Dean Cox might keep us in touch but I fear a massacre.

Last year was scary might have spooked us, not the best team to play against if you want to build confidence unless we win:D

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2012, 10:16 PM
I wouldn't read too much into our last game at Perth against WCE.

We did narrowly lose to them later last year with no form and a few of our better players either injured or out.

I don't think we'll win, but I don't think we'll be humiliated.

bornadog
12-03-2012, 11:41 PM
I wouldn't read too much into our last game at Perth against WCE.

We did narrowly lose to them later last year with no form and a few of our better players either injured or out.

I don't think we'll win, but I don't think we'll be humiliated.

Yes we shoiuld have won that game if it wan't for the most stupid free kick against Picken of all time. Just ask Aker39;)

chef
13-03-2012, 08:28 AM
FB Wood Lake Addison
HB Hargrave Markovic Murphy
C Picken Boyd Dahlhaus
HF Higgins Jones Dickson
FF Grant Campbell Giansiracusa
R Minson Griffen Liberatore
IN Cross Cooney Veszpremi
S Smith

I would upgrade Campbell as he looks a better option as a forward who will ruck for 10% of the quarter than Cordy and Roughead. We are screwed if we lose another tall back, but I like my team on paper and think if we can stay reasonable injury free we will give the eight a real crack.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-03-2012, 11:27 AM

HB: Murphy Markovic Addison

HF: Grant Jones Cooney

F: Gia Roughead Dahlhaus

Int: Higgins Picken Vezspremi ??

There's a few gaps in there at the moment.
The choice of players would be similar for me excepting that I have added Panos as a genuine key player and included Wallis who was very good against North Melbourne. I have also excluded Addison who is not quite up to League standard. I have some concerns about Markovic at CHB remembering Kennedy's 10 goals kicked on him and Williams last year. I appreciate that Markovic has had strong support from other Woofers.

B. Hargrave Lake Markovic
HB. Murphy Griffen Wood
C. Liberatore Cross Picken
HF Dahlhaus Jones Grant
F. Giansircusa Panos Roughead
R. Minson Boyd Cooney
Int. Wallis, Higgins, Veszpremi, Smith
The choice of Griffen at centre half back will surprise a lot of people but I believe he has the class to strengthen our defence with the loss of Morris.

DragzLS1
13-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Griffen drops to CNB during a game anyway to help out and his loss in the middle of the park is too great. I dont think Kennedy will kick 10 on markovic again! Give Marko another crack at him ;)

Ozza
13-03-2012, 12:24 PM
B: Wood; Lake; Hargrave
HB: Murphy; Markovic; Veszpremi
C: Cross; Boyd; Picken
HF: Higgins: Jones; Dahlhaus
F: Giansiracusa; Cordy ; Cooney
R: Minson; Griffen; Liberatore
Int: Smith; Howard; Wallis; Sub Grant

ReLoad
13-03-2012, 06:35 PM
There is no way in the world Cooney should get a game in round 1.

He simply cannot play out a game and has limited potential impact as a substitute given his lack of "burst" at the minute.

Go_Dogs
13-03-2012, 08:54 PM
HB. Murphy Griffen Wood
HF Dahlhaus Jones Grant
R. Minson Boyd Cooney
The choice of Griffen at centre half back will surprise a lot of people but I believe he has the class to strengthen our defence with the loss of Morris.

Nice work.

I must say, I'm not convinced about Griffen at CHB. He's not tall enough to compete with a lot of CHF's and it would rob our midfield, which is where I think we need to be very strong to help our undermanned backline and provide opportunity to a reasonable young forward line. I understand the desire to strengthen that part of the ground, but it's a problem all over the field.

Swoop
13-03-2012, 11:18 PM
The choice of players would be similar for me excepting that I have added Panos as a genuine key player and included Wallis who was very good against North Melbourne. I have also excluded Addison who is not quite up to League standard. I have some concerns about Markovic at CHB remembering Kennedy's 10 goals kicked on him and Williams last year. I appreciate that Markovic has had strong support from other Woofers.

HB. Murphy Griffen Wood
HF Dahlhaus Jones Grant
R. Minson Boyd Cooney
NBP what has Panos done to convince you he should hold down FF ahead of others who have performed better in that role during the preseason?

always right
13-03-2012, 11:39 PM
B: Addison (coach likes him), Lake, Markovic
HB: Murphy, Wood, Hargrave
W: Cross, Boyd, Grant (would like to see this but does he have the tank?)
HF: Dickson, Jones, Dahlhaus
F: Higgins, Cordy, Gia

R: Minson, Griffen, Libba

I/C: Picken, Roughead, Smith
Sub: Vespa

Reckon Macca might pick both Cordy and Roughy in case Cox and Nicknat get on top and we might also need Cordy to provide some cover back.

Also think he will be keen to throw some new blokes in to send a message that reputations mean little. Wouldn't surprise to see Skinner get a run.

Don't reckon they will rush Cooney in...needs a little more time.

Would really like to see Wood play CHB where he can get by with his athleticism and run. Less likely to get into wrestling matches with bigger forwards out there.

Would like to see Grant play with a bit of freedom and can see him doing well on the wing if he works hard enough.

SlimPickens
14-03-2012, 09:07 AM
HF: Dickson: Jones; Dahlhaus
F: Giansiracusa; Campbell(Really liked what i saw on the weekend) ; Grant
Int: Smith; Cooney; Wallis; Sub Zephi

LostDoggy
14-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Good luck to the forwards.

The forwards will be fine as long as they lead towards the grandstand, and I mean up in the grandstand.:D

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-03-2012, 12:57 PM
NBP what has Panos done to convince you he should hold down FF ahead of others who have performed better in that role during the preseason?

Who might you have in mind? Apart from the resting ruckmen I haven't seen anyone else step up.

bornadog
14-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Who might you have in mind? Apart from the resting ruckmen I haven't seen anyone else step up.

Panos is not exactly stepping up.

Ozza
14-03-2012, 01:03 PM
HF: Dickson: Jones; Dahlhaus
F: Giansiracusa; Campbell(Really liked what i saw on the weekend) ; Grant
Int: Smith; Cooney; Wallis; Sub Zephi

No Higgins, slim? Would have thought he is a fair way ahead of Smith, Wallis, Zephi, Grant, Dickson....no matter how frustrating he can be!

SlimPickens
14-03-2012, 03:33 PM
No Higgins, slim? Would have thought he is a fair way ahead of Smith, Wallis, Zephi, Grant, Dickson....no matter how frustrating he can be!

Yep, this is how i want my team to be come round 1. Until Higgins lifts his defensive efforts i don't particularly want him in the side. I watched the NM game again today and too many times he simply goes to ground or gives a half arsed chase, hence why he is not in my side.

You may also notice no Addison, but i think you know my feelings on him;).

Ghost Dog
14-03-2012, 09:16 PM
I just tried to write a team and it's actually pretty hard! we have some good players.

FF: Skinner / Gia / Minson
HF: /Griffen / Dahl/ Grant
C: Boyd / Picken / Cross
HB / Murphy / Wood / Vezpremi
FB / Lake / Shaggy / Marko

R: Roughy/ Libba / Smith
IN: Cooney, Dickson, Jones
S: Cordy

Bumper Bulldogs
14-03-2012, 10:11 PM
FB: Wood Lake Hargrave
HB: Howard Markovic Murphy
C: Picken Boyd Dahlhaus
HF: Higgins Jones Skinner
FF: Addison Campbell Giansiracusa
R: Minson Griffen Liberatore
IN: Cross Veszpremi Roughy Cooney to Sub with Higgins at 1/2 time

I think we should play Addison as a lock in forward
I would also give Campbell a run as a stay home forward
Howard, Veszpremi to rotate of the back line

Ghost Dog
14-03-2012, 10:18 PM
FB: Wood Lake Hargrave
HB: Howard Markovic Murphy
C: Picken Boyd Dahlhaus
HF: Higgins Jones Skinner
FF: Addison Campbell Giansiracusa
R: Minson Griffen Liberatore
IN: Cross Veszpremi Roughy Cooney to Sub with Higgins at 1/2 time

I think we should play Addison as a lock in forward
I would also give Campbell a run as a stay home forward
Howard, Veszpremi to rotate of the back line

Interesting selection with Addison at FF. Did you go to the game at Ballarat?
There are some things I liked about his game. he is very poised under pressure. Not sure about his ability in the air though, as witnessed when he fell flat on his back, not needing to.

chef
14-03-2012, 10:28 PM

Is that really your team?

jeemak
14-03-2012, 11:22 PM

HB. Murphy Griffen Wood
HF Dahlhaus Jones Grant
R. Minson Boyd Cooney

Well I think I've seen it all now, surely you can't be serious. Griffen at CHB is up there with the most counter productive moves we could make for a developing list, or a team that wishes to be competitive in the middle, and the game.

Having Marko and Lake (with Cordy as a back up), supported by a midfield (with Griffen in it) pushing back would be better for developing our more inexperienced defenders, and wouldn't leave us any more exposed for pace through the middle than we already are. Cutting the supply to the WCE forwards is important, and the best way to do this is by winning our share of ball.

The rest of your team doesn't look too bad, though I'd put Vesz on a HBF, move Griffen from CHB and put him in the middle with Cross going to the bench. Marko to CHB and Wood to the BP. Higgins to the FP, Roughead out and Cordy in to sit on the bench. Walllis would be my sub.

Ghost Dog
15-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Is that really your team?

If you are going to crit, get on with it.

LostDoggy
15-03-2012, 01:02 AM
Lock in forward = defensive forward = desperately trying to make up a position for someone without one. If Addison plays its in the backline.

I also don't understand these calls from left field. Eg Wood or Griffen at chb. It's the round 1 team- it would have been tested already in a practice match and hasnt been . Maybe try it later in the season.

jeemak
15-03-2012, 01:50 AM
^Nah, let's not try it in the second half of the season, maybe just leave it to a point in the game when we have no other choice.

Agree with you on the defensive forward situation, unless there's a clear offensive threat from the opposition, for instance in the case of Carlton if a player like Yarran is cutting every team up before we play someone on him to shut him down. Our forward line is going to find it tough enough to score goals as it is.

Swoop
15-03-2012, 02:25 AM
Tonight on AFL 360 Both Mark Robinson & Gerard Wheately briefly alluded to the fact that there may be a more serious problem with Josh Kennedy than WCE are letting on without giving away any specifics. WCE minus Kennedy for round 1 makes our match ups look a whole lot better and we my be able to escape by playing Lake, Markovic & Hargrave tall without having to compromise anyone else. Thoughts?

Remi Moses
15-03-2012, 02:43 AM
HF: Higgins: Jones; Dahlhaus
F: Giansiracusa; Cordy ; Cooney
Int: Smith; Howard; Wallis; Sub Grant

Ditto for me .
Although I might have Howard on the ground and Veszpremi on the pine( should be called the rub down mat) maybe Roughy for Cordy.
Just looking at the team it strikes me how much it's changed since the 08- 10 period.

Remi Moses
15-03-2012, 02:47 AM
Tonight on AFL 360 Both Mark Robinson & Gerard Wheately briefly alluded to the fact that there may be a more serious problem with Josh Kennedy than WCE are letting on without giving away any specifics. WCE minus Kennedy for round 1 makes our match ups look a whole lot better and we my be able to escape by playing Lake, Markovic & Hargrave tall without having to compromise anyone else. Thoughts?

Strong chance he won't play and even if he does he along with Embley will be seriously underdone. Two blokes who have murdered us even when they were poo.

LostDoggy
15-03-2012, 03:01 AM
B: Wood Lake Shaggy
HB: Howard Cordy Murph
C: Griffin Cross Picken
HF: Grant Jones Dahlhaus
F: Gia Roughy Skinner
Foll: Minson Boyd Libba
Int: Marco Higgins Smith or Dickson Sub Cooney/Vez

jeemak
15-03-2012, 03:15 AM
B. Hargrave Lake Wood
HB. Murphy Markovic Veszpremi
C. Liberatore Griffen Picken
HF Dahlhaus Jones Higgins
F. Giansircusa Grant Cooney
R. Minson Boyd Smith
Int. Wallis, Cordy, Cross, Addison

I've changed my tune somewhat from my earlier comments. Grant goes to FF, and Panos doesn't play, as he's not shown enough to this point. So I've moved Higgins up the ground, and I'm thinking that because our bench might be a bit one-dimensional in terms of where they can play I am putting Addison in for defensive cover, so Cooney should move to a forward pocket and Smith goes in to the centre for a tough initiation.

We're short up forward, but we're clever enough to kick some goals. If we rotate Smith, Higgins, Cross, Cooney, Wallis and maybe Gia through the middle we should have enough cover.

I suppose it doesn't matter where they line up to start the game, I guess I'm more concerned about how we make it work. They're my best 22 to this point.

chef
15-03-2012, 07:35 AM

If you are going to crit, get on with it.

Sorry, it just looked more like a squad than a team(is that really how you want us to line up structure wise).

Are you happy with Dahl playing CHF?
Why is Shaggy FB and Wood CHB??

Ozza
15-03-2012, 09:53 AM
You may also notice no Addison, but i think you know my feelings on him;).

I share your view there, Slim.

Bulldog Joe
15-03-2012, 12:38 PM
My effort

Addison Markovic Hargrave
Wood Lake Murphy
Cross Boyd Picken
Higgins Jones Dahlhaus
Gia Roughead/Cordy Grant
Minson Griffen Liberatore

Smith Sherman Wallis
Sub Cooney

Cooney as the sub because he needs to build some game time and should be an impact player.
Lake at CHB where he will be more likely to be able to read the play and cut off the opposition than Markovich

Very keen to get Sherman in if he can show he is now fit.

Plenty of foot soldiers which should give a good team performance. Just need a match turner/winner to show up.

Doc26
15-03-2012, 12:59 PM
HB. Murphy Griffen Wood
HF Dahlhaus Jones Grant
R. Minson Boyd Cooney

Well I think I've seen it all now, surely you can't be serious. Griffen at CHB is up there with the most counter productive moves we could make for a developing list, or a team that wishes to be competitive in the middle, and the game.

HF Dahlhaus Jones Higgins

So I've moved Higgins up the ground, and I'm thinking that because our bench might be a bit one-dimensional in terms of where they can play I am putting Addison in for defensive cover, so Cooney should move to a forward pocket and Smith goes in to the centre for a tough initiation.

We're short up forward, but we're clever enough to kick some goals. If we rotate Smith, Higgins, Cross, Cooney, Wallis and maybe Gia through the middle we should have enough cover.

They're my best 22 to this point.

A bit arrogant and disrespectful there Jeemak. It's not that I'm recommending a move of Griffen to CHB but NBP has made a suggestion to tighten up our depleted backline that imo is no worse a suggestion than recommending Higgins deserves a spot across our half forward line when in his current guise offers little if any forward defensive pressure, hasn't for a long time, and as such does little to bring on the development of our inexperienced forwards.

DragzLS1
15-03-2012, 01:09 PM
My effort

Addison Markovic Hargrave
Wood Lake Murphy
Cross Boyd Picken
Higgins Jones Dahlhaus
Gia Roughead/Cordy Grant
Minson Griffen Liberatore

Smith Sherman Wallis
Sub Cooney

Cooney as the sub because he needs to build some game time and should be an impact player.
Lake at CHB where he will be more likely to be able to read the play and cut off the opposition than Markovich

Very keen to get Sherman in if he can show he is now fit.

Plenty of foot soldiers which should give a good team performance. Just need a match turner/winner to show up.

I agree with this line up and would have Sherman/Tutt as a sub after half time to make an impact and dont think we will risk Cooney against the eagles.. I stt Cooney playing around 15 games this season which would be positive for the team if he is pain free and totally fit for them.. Cooney is a game winner and if we dont risk playing him against the Geelongs, Collingwoods and Hawks due to our slim chances of actually beating them then that gives him more time to rest and make more of an impact against the st kildas, adelaides, north ect which may be the difference with us winning 10 games this year, or 13 games this year ;)

Solid line up and like including the likes of smith and wallis in the team, the fast they can get games under the belt the better they will get..

Swoop
15-03-2012, 01:37 PM
The logic of taking an underdone Cooney as a sub hoping he can have an impact does not work and is flawed because if we suffer a serious injury early in the match not only have we lost that player but Cooney's lack of match fitness would seriously hurt our rotations.

You pick your best side and the 22nd player becomes the sub but you cannot carry players in hope they can come on late in the game to have an impact as we may have no control over when they will be required.

Mantis
15-03-2012, 02:06 PM
A bit arrogant and disrespectful there Jeemak. It's not that I'm recommending a move of Griffen to CHB but NBP has made a suggestion to tighten up our depleted backline that imo is no worse a suggestion than recommending Higgins deserves a spot across our half forward line when in his current guise offers little if any forward defensive pressure, hasn't for a long time, and as such does little to bring on the development of our inexperienced forwards.

If Griffen started at CHB and spent more than 30secs there I would walk out.

He is our most dynamic player and any move to move him away from the midfield is madness.

G-Mo77
15-03-2012, 02:15 PM
B. Hargrave Lake Addison
HB. Murphy Markovic Wood
C. Picken Griffen Cross
HF Grant Jones Higgins
F. Giansircusa Cordy Dahlhaus
R. Minson Boyd Libba
Int. Howard, Wallis, Veszpremi, Smith/Cooney

Doc26
15-03-2012, 02:35 PM
If Griffen started at CHB and spent more than 30secs there I would walk out.

He is our most dynamic player and any move to move him away from the midfield is madness.

It was not the point I was making nor as I stated is it my recommendation.

In my view continuing to persevere with Higgins is madness yet he keeps getting selected by the punters. Jeemak took a swipe at NBP for suggesting putting Griff at CHB as being ludicrous but, as with many, selects Higgins off the half forward line. Based on what ?

I've seen nothing in the preseason to suggest Higgins has adequate movement or at worst even a willingness to compete when going the other way but then lets all wait again until mid season to come to this realisation.

Ghost Dog
15-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Sorry, it just looked more like a squad than a team(is that really how you want us to line up structure wise).

Are you happy with Dahl playing CHF?
Why is Shaggy FB and Wood CHB??

haha good points.
I just wonder how we are going to score enough goals. We looked to be dithering around a lot in the last two games I saw. We get pushed to the boundary all the time and I feel it's to do with lack of speed, agility or confidence to run the thing through the center. I do think Dolly could be a great scoring option for us. Of course there may be reasons why this is not practical.
Wood is a super athlete. I'd really like to see him get more involved and overlap in plays around the center square / given a licence to roam a bit. He just looks so strong. I actually think he would make a great midfielder. It's his attitude too. He is just a superb competitor. Still, it's fun to play with these ideas, just some thoughts.

Mantis
15-03-2012, 03:31 PM
It was not the point I was making nor as I stated is it my recommendation.

In my view continuing to persevere with Higgins is madness yet he keeps getting selected by the punters. Jeemak took a swipe at NBP for suggesting putting Griff at CHB as being ludicrous but, as with many, selects Higgins off the half forward line. Based on what ?

I've seen nothing in the preseason to suggest Higgins has adequate movement or at worst even a willingness to compete when going the other way but then lets all wait again until mid season to come to this realisation.

Higgins on a good day is a goal kicker and last time I checked we don't have too many of those. I too am frustrated by the lack of output thus far, both defensively and offensively, but he has to be given first crack and if he doesn't perform his position in the team becomes uncertain... Others have already had enough and that's probably fair, but I'm worried about our ability to hit the score board and Higgins could probably eek out a 40 goal year which might help us win an extra game or 2.

kruder
15-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Higgins on a good day is a goal kicker and last time I checked we don't have too many of those. I too am frustrated by the lack of output thus far, both defensively and offensively, but he has to be given first crack and if he doesn't perform his position in the team becomes uncertain... Others have already had enough and that's probably fair, but I'm worried about our ability to hit the score board and Higgins could probably eek out a 40 goal year which might help us win an extra game or 2.

Yep agree about the first crack, but this time if his form continues to be poor he needs to be dropped. Simple as that.

jeemak
15-03-2012, 04:41 PM

Apologies to Nuggety Back Pocket if he has construed my comments as arrogant and disrespectful, and has been upset by them.

Apologies to you as well, if they have upset you.

My post wasn't meant to offend anybody. I suppose I'm a little surprised that we'd put our best midfielder who stands at 186cm at CHB rather than keep him in the middle where he plays his best footy. He has not shown any real defensive form since his first year or so of AFL football, as far as I recall, and has not demonstrated he is capable of holding down a key defensive post.

As for Higgins playing on the half foward line it is my view that when fit he is in our best forward six, whether it be playing in a pocket or further up the ground. He is capable of kicking goals and is also capable of running through the middle. I agree that he needs to improve his defensive game, though I think his ability to create and offer versatility in the midfield outweighs his flaws in that area.

Doc26
15-03-2012, 05:42 PM

As for Higgins playing on the half foward line it is my view that when fit he is in our best forward six, whether it be playing in a pocket or further up the ground. He is capable of kicking goals and is also capable of running through the middle. I agree that he needs to improve his defensive game, though I think his ability to create and offer versatility in the midfield outweighs his flaws in that area.

Both consistent cases for the affirmative and I truly hope on this one to be proven wrong as like many I have been waiting for the potential to come to fruition or for his body to come good.

My view on this is that with the current emphasis on the press it works against the argument to retain Higgins on grounds of creativity or potential goal scoring ability because whilst he struggles to keep up with the defensive requirements of the game it is a weak link across our half forward line for the opposition to work through and get an easy out in a zone that should be providing us with the greatest scoring potential.

Ghost Dog
15-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Both consistent cases for the affirmative and I truly hope on this one to be proven wrong as like many I have been waiting for the potential to come to fruition or for his body to come good.

My view on this is that with the current emphasis on the press it works against the argument to retain Higgins on grounds of creativity or potential goal scoring ability because whilst he struggles to keep up with the defensive requirements of the game it is a weak link across our half forward line for the opposition to work through and get an easy out in a zone that should be providing us with the greatest scoring potential.

Watched Higgins in one NAB game, take a mark and shrug off team mate's shouts to pass it in, giving a reassuring palm up indication to ' slow it down / calm down ' tucked the ball under his arm and swaggered back to the mark. And missed. He has to kick the easy ones. Like grant...just has to.

Bulldog Joe
15-03-2012, 06:50 PM
The logic of taking an underdone Cooney as a sub hoping he can have an impact does not work and is flawed because if we suffer a serious injury early in the match not only have we lost that player but Cooney's lack of match fitness would seriously hurt our rotations.

You pick your best side and the 22nd player becomes the sub but you cannot carry players in hope they can come on late in the game to have an impact as we may have no control over when they will be required.

I did consider this, but the alternative is sending him to Williamstown or starting him in the run on side.

I think it is a waste to go to Willi as he can just as easily get hurt again there.

If we start him with the run on side you do run the risk of him needing to be subbed off.

By playing as the sub he would probably come into the game when the pace has slowed a little and with his experience he is more likely to make an impact than any of the newer players.

mjp
15-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Wont our 22 depend on West Coast? There are a couple of givens:

1/.Assuming Kennedy plays (they say he will, but if he does, it will be his first game of the year), Lake is needed to play on him. Markovic is not good enough over head to deal with Kennedy. Cox is going to spend a heap of time forward. We are going to need Markovic to cover him when he is down there. We also need ANOTHER tall back because Darling will play. It is highly likely that either Lynch or Lycett will ALSO play...

So - for everyone naming only two key defenders, I want to break the bad news that West Coast are MASSIVE and will throw at least 3 tall forwards out there for large parts of the game. We need more help down back to deal with WC. Maybe Cordy does it? I actually don't know. But we need to consider this when looking at 22.

2/.West Coast's running backs - Hurn and Waters - are a bit under-done. Hurn hasn't played yet, Waters once and not for long. They zone off as it is - they will be taking that to extreme early in the year. We are going to need to play an EXTRA running HF to try and put some pressure on these guys. Yes, Dalhaus and Gia play. But I suspect one of Dickson or Skinner (and maybe both) are going to play.

3/.West Coast's tall defenders are WAY underdone. Glass hasn't played, McKenzie is still injured...if Jones is going to lead us to the promised land well, round 1 would be the time to make a statement. If he ends up with a match-up vs Will Schofield that is a big opportunity for us. The ball will be hitting the ground up forward...re-refer to point 2 - we need crumbing forwards...I have my doubts that Skinner and Dickson ARE crumbing forwards, so maybe we are looking in another direction??? Suggestions welcomed!

4/.West Coast's runners - except for Kerr (perpetually fragile) and Priddis haven't been playing much. I guess Masten (poor by foot) has been going OK, but Shuey has been injured, Embley not playing, Rosa not playing, Gaff injured...they have been all over the place. They are no fitter than Cooney is. They are not as ready to go as Libber/Griffen/Boyd/Cross.

This has been a very negative thread. West Coast have been pressing OK but they are not as good as their record would have you think. Port nearly beat them over here and would have if not for Kerr's last quarter (and what do you think about Port?), they smashed a young Essendon in Perth on a 38 degree day and then beat Fremantle who played back-to-back games on the same day. Sure, they beat the Saints but they look to be in real trouble.

If our plays are prepared to compete for contested ball and break even against their talls, we will beat them in round 1.

Remi Moses
15-03-2012, 08:27 PM
If West Coast bring a couple of underdone types, we will win.

Go_Dogs
15-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Nice post mjp.

Pickenitup
15-03-2012, 08:58 PM
B:Wood Lake Addison
HB:Murphy Markovic Hargrave
C Cross Boyd LIberatore
Hf Giansiracusa Jones Grant
F Higgins Roughead Dahlhaus
R Minson Cooney Griffen
I/c Picken Smith Cordy Sub Howard

Maddog37
15-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Great Post MJP. I think both Wood and Shaggy could play tall if needed. I would not want too many lumbering types in our back half.

I prefer Cordy for his athleticism but either way Minno is very mportant in this match. Must shut down Hurn and keep Priddis quiet as he starts alot of their work.

LostDoggy
15-03-2012, 09:24 PM
haha good points.
I just wonder how we are going to score enough goals. We looked to be dithering around a lot in the last two games I saw. We get pushed to the boundary all the time and I feel it's to do with lack of speed, agility or confidence to run the thing through the center. I do think Dolly could be a great scoring option for us. Of course there may be reasons why this is not practical.
Wood is a super athlete. I'd really like to see him get more involved and overlap in plays around the center square / given a licence to roam a bit. He just looks so strong. I actually think he would make a great midfielder. It's his attitude too. He is just a superb competitor. Still, it's fun to play with these ideas, just some thoughts.

You raise an interesting point about Wood. Perhaps when Gilbee comes back, its worth trying Wood as a winger or high forward to take advantage of his pace, natural instinct to break the lines and take the game on. That will give us three risk takers in Wood, Sherman and Dahlhaus to complement our fleet of contested mids.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Agree Higgins has to play, but he's been disappointing thus far. He really hasn't shown anything different -- which is the problem. Still doesn't attack contests with intensity, and doesn't work hard enough defensively.

If reputations are put aside, Higgins could be in trouble IF he doesn't turn his game around. It's all on his shoulders, so hopefully he has a good season.

Also -- great post, mjp.

bornadog
15-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Great Post MJP. I think both Wood and Shaggy could play tall if needed. I would not want too many lumbering types in our back half.

Shaggy is about the same height as Darling, but I wouldn't be playing Wood on a tall. Every time we have tried to play him tall he gets killed.

Sockeye Salmon
15-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Shaggy is about the same height as Darling, but I wouldn't be playing Wood on a tall. Every time we have tried to play him tall he gets killed.

As compared to Shaggy who has blitzed every time he plays on a bigger guy... oh, wait ...

Darling would have 10 kgs on Shaggy as well.

bornadog
15-03-2012, 11:35 PM
As compared to Shaggy who has blitzed every time he plays on a bigger guy... oh, wait ...

Darling would have 10 kgs on Shaggy as well.

Shaggy 190cm, 87 kg

Wood 185cm 84kg

Darling 191cm 87kg

Greystache
15-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Shaggy 190cm, 87 kg

Wood 185cm 84kg

Darling 191cm 87kg

Indeed. There's this myth going around that Darling's a big guy, as you've shown above it's not that case. He'd be tailor made for Morris if we had him available. Shaggy is probably the next best option.

mjp
15-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Shaggy 190cm, 87 kg

Wood 185cm 84kg

Darling 191cm 87kg

I think Hargrave has always been at his best when pitted against opposition smalls. He has owned Milne throughout the years...but been smashed by Riewoldt when forced to play tall. I just think we need to forget he is 190cm tall and play him against the oppositions best small - which in the absence of LeCras is looking more and more like either Josh Hill (yep, him) or Gerrick Weedon. Ashton Hams will be down there somewhere as well and he is probably going to be the match-up for Wood. I am assuming Nickoski will be assigned his 2011 role of lock-down forward and he will take Murphy/Murphy will take him depending on how you look at it.

From there, we have to man up on Cox, Kennedy and Darling. This is going to sound stupid, but we need to play another tall down back. We simply do. If it has to be Mulligan, or Cordy, or Panos...well, whoever it is, that is the way it has to be. I know they aren't in our best 22, but we need someone else against West Coast...and further to that, they are going to roll another tall down there at times as well - in which case take your pick out of Murphy/Wood/Hargrave will have to play on them. If we dont take in the extra tall, 2 out of Murphy/Wood/Hargrave will have to do it...good luck with that.

I am normally a roll the dice, small vs tall, how many contested marks get taken anyway...but it is one thing to take a risk on one match-up...quite another to do it on two. And heaven knows what happens if there is an injury.

always right
16-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Shaggy 190cm, 87 kg

Wood 185cm 84kg

Darling 191cm 87kg

Awkward

bornadog
16-03-2012, 12:07 AM
I think Hargrave has always been at his best when pitted against opposition smalls. He has owned Milne throughout the years...but been smashed by Riewoldt when forced to play tall. .

I agree Shaggy is better on smalls, but I think he has struggled with talls when they are actually talls, ie over 192/194 cm and with some bulk.

Having said that, I agree we need another tall down back, especially with Cox popping down there and usually taking a few marks. I would prefer Panos over Mulligan at this stage.

jeemak
16-03-2012, 12:21 AM
There wasn't many players that had Reiwoldt's measure leading up to 2009, so I'm not surprised Shaggy got a torching.

Darling isn't anywhere near Riewoldt, and I don't think Shaggy would have too many issues playing on him, although I agree he is better suited to shutting down smalls.

Ghost Dog
16-03-2012, 12:28 AM

1/.Assuming Kennedy plays (they say he will, but if he does, it will be his first game of the year), Lake is needed to play on him. Markovic is not good enough over head to deal with Kennedy. Cox is going to spend a heap of time forward. We are going to need Markovic to cover him when he is down there. We also need ANOTHER tall back because Darling will play. It is highly likely that either Lynch or Lycett will ALSO play...

So - for everyone naming only two key defenders, I want to break the bad news that West Coast are MASSIVE and will throw at least 3 tall forwards out there for large parts of the game. We need more help down back to deal with WC. Maybe Cordy does it? I actually don't know. But we need to consider this when looking at 22.

2/.West Coast's running backs - Hurn and Waters - are a bit under-done. Hurn hasn't played yet, Waters once and not for long. They zone off as it is - they will be taking that to extreme early in the year. We are going to need to play an EXTRA running HF to try and put some pressure on these guys. Yes, Dalhaus and Gia play. But I suspect one of Dickson or Skinner (and maybe both) are going to play.

3/.West Coast's tall defenders are WAY underdone. Glass hasn't played, McKenzie is still injured...if Jones is going to lead us to the promised land well, round 1 would be the time to make a statement. If he ends up with a match-up vs Will Schofield that is a big opportunity for us. The ball will be hitting the ground up forward...re-refer to point 2 - we need crumbing forwards...I have my doubts that Skinner and Dickson ARE crumbing forwards, so maybe we are looking in another direction??? Suggestions welcomed!

4/.West Coast's runners - except for Kerr (perpetually fragile) and Priddis haven't been playing much. I guess Masten (poor by foot) has been going OK, but Shuey has been injured, Embley not playing, Rosa not playing, Gaff injured...they have been all over the place. They are no fitter than Cooney is. They are not as ready to go as Libber/Griffen/Boyd/Cross.

This has been a very negative thread. West Coast have been pressing OK but they are not as good as their record would have you think. Port nearly beat them over here and would have if not for Kerr's last quarter (and what do you think about Port?), they smashed a young Essendon in Perth on a 38 degree day and then beat Fremantle who played back-to-back games on the same day. Sure, they beat the Saints but they look to be in real trouble.

If our plays are prepared to compete for contested ball and break even against their talls, we will beat them in round 1.

Thanks for that. Great post. I remember WC cutting us to shreds last year. First year players pushing our older blokes off the ball. I just remember being so badly dominated, feel just a smidge worried.

Greystache
16-03-2012, 12:42 AM
MJP would you consider playing Talia as an extra tall? Match him up on Darling who's not much older or more developed physically.

mjp
16-03-2012, 01:11 AM
MJP would you consider playing Talia as an extra tall? Match him up on Darling who's not much older or more developed physically.

Not heaps of options - but Darling is very talented (still can't believe he wasn't a top 5 pick) and very developed physically. To the previous poster who indicated Riewoldt was more dominant, well - maybe...but Darling's first year stats double those of Riewoldt (yep, I know that Riewoldt got injured but he did play 6 games) and if he shows similar improvement (and based on his junior career he just might) then he is going to be a monster.

I would almost rather Cox get the younger player...Darling will get up the ground and push back hard towards goal. Cox will play close to goal and lead within a 30m arc. I know this means if Cox gets it he shoots on goal, but at least it wont become a conditioning challenge that someone like Talia just couldn't cope with in game number 1.

All of that said - someone has to play on him. Maybe Talia is our best bet???

Greystache
16-03-2012, 01:27 AM
Not heaps of options - but Darling is very talented (still can't believe he wasn't a top 5 pick) and very developed physically. To the previous poster who indicated Riewoldt was more dominant, well - maybe...but Darling's first year stats double those of Riewoldt (yep, I know that Riewoldt got injured but he did play 6 games) and if he shows similar improvement (and based on his junior career he just might) then he is going to be a monster.

I would almost rather Cox get the younger player...Darling will get up the ground and push back hard towards goal. Cox will play close to goal and lead within a 30m arc. I know this means if Cox gets it he shoots on goal, but at least it wont become a conditioning challenge that someone like Talia just couldn't cope with in game number 1.

The reason I mentioned Talia as a potential match for Darling is the one attribute he has that is already well developed is his endurance. Everything else is very raw, except perhaps some body strength, but he certainly can run. Perhaps I'm underestimating Darling's impact on games, but I wouldn't be changing our structure significantly for a player who averaged 1 goal a game and 4.5 marks.

I'd prefer Lake and Markovic to cover the 2 primary tall targets, be that Cox/Kennedy or Cox/Lynch or another combination, and make do with stop gaps in Hargrave and Wood. If Lake is at his best he can cover a lot of the long bomb forward entries by either marking or bringing it to the ground and we could expose West Coast's top heavy forward line on the rebound.

jeemak
16-03-2012, 01:51 AM

Dariling's first year stats might have been better than those of Riewoldt, but when Shaggy actually played on Riewoldt he was in the top couple of key position forwards in the league. He was dominating games, and working harder back and forth in the front half than anyone in the game at the time. Darling isn't nearly at that stage yet, and while I'm not going to say he can't get there I'm confident he will be prone to struggling in games where supply is stifled by his opposition's midfield and defensive tactics for a little while yet.

Talia isn't ready to go just yet. He's a perfect example of a player that needs to develop his game at Williamstown, learning to play within his limitations.

I've alluded to it in previous posts, and I think it's important that we take a team approach to keeping the WCE big men quiet in round one. We need to push numbers back and reduce the space they have to work in, and be exceptionally tight on the WCE ball movers. This will be a trend until Morris comes back at least. When and if we have all of Morris, Shaggy, Tommy, Marko and Lake in the running for a spot in the defensive six then we can be clever with our match ups and rely on them to beat their opponents one on one with a smaller reliance on the midfield pushing back or playing defensively at stoppages.

Remi Moses
16-03-2012, 05:12 AM
Interesting comments in today's Hun from Worsfold.
Looks like he'll play Kennedy for his first hit out in round 1.
Don't know if it's cockiness or not?

mjp
16-03-2012, 09:24 AM
We need to push numbers back and reduce the space they have to work in, and be exceptionally tight on the WCE ball movers. This will be a trend until Morris comes back at least.

I don't think this will be a problem. Given the West Coast press will have basically every player on the ground in their own forward line, you can pretty much take it as written that the WCE forwards will be working in reduced space. That will be their doing though, not ours.

Since we are talking 1990's football, you might also have mentioned that we need to drag them down the ground out to take them out of scoring position....but then, Darling and Kennedy especially will spend half of the game in OUR forward line because they wont allow us an extra number down there and we will be pressing too.

bornadog
16-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Last year we played a great game against the Weagles (second time round:D) and almost stole the game. Cox was the man that was the difference in the end (and the umpire;). )

The key to this game will be the rucks and midfield who must ensure they win the ball from the centre and don't allow the pressure on our backline. Minson is going to have to play well.

LostDoggy
16-03-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't think we will go outside this weekends squad. If an extra tall comes in, it'll be Cordy. Lake to Kennedy, Cordy to Cox, Marko to Darling, then the rest. The worry is the Markovic matchup so Hargrave is plan B. If Cox takes hold of Cordy we could be in trouble. If that happens I would roll the dice and move Markovic to Cox, Hargrave to Darling and Cordy up forward for a shootout.

DragzLS1
16-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Dont see why we cant win really.. Its 18 vs 18 at any given time isnt it? lets go hard and win this 1st up and set us up for the season! We nearly came back last year even with all the injuries and poor run in form so am waiting to see what the difference is this time around.. Minno will be the difference this time around ;)

jeemak
16-03-2012, 11:20 AM
I don't think this will be a problem. Given the West Coast press will have basically every player on the ground in their own forward line, you can pretty much take it as written that the WCE forwards will be working in reduced space. That will be their doing though, not ours.

Since we are talking 1990's football, you might also have mentioned that we need to drag them down the ground out to take them out of scoring position....but then, Darling and Kennedy especially will spend half of the game in OUR forward line because they wont allow us an extra number down there and we will be pressing too.

Sounds like it's going to be an awesome spectacle...............

Ozza
16-03-2012, 11:27 AM

I agree on this with Higgins. He's still capable of kicking a few goals and getting 20 possessions at half forward/pushing into the middle. I don't think we have enough class in the side right now to be leaving out a bloke who can finish/get on the scoreboard - regardless of the weaknesses he has had that frustrate all of us.

Sedat
16-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Not heaps of options - but Darling is very talented (still can't believe he wasn't a top 5 pick) and very developed physically.
West Coast's PR machine did a magnificent job highlighting his off-field indiscretions to sacre off the rest of the clubs. Pick 27 for Darling is the best steal in the last 6-7 ND's.

Mofra
16-03-2012, 12:55 PM

Both Skinner & Dickson are playing against Geelong - they're clearly in the frame for selection. If their running HBs are underdone, I'd have more confidence in playing Dal & Zephi high with Cooney rotating through there too - I like Gia as a player but memories of Guerra cutting him up on the rebound are still fresh in my mind. I'd even be tempted to rotate Grant through there for pace alone (if he's in teh squad - not certain).

If Cordy spends any time back against Geelong it's clear the Bulldogs coaching staff are on the same page as you mjp. We could feasibly play all of Roughy, Minson & Cordy which would be an interesting move.
Addision is another interesting one - seems likely to play round 1, where do you put him? He spends time on one of their forwards and belts the shit out of them?

stefoid
16-03-2012, 01:01 PM
West Coast's PR machine did a magnificent job highlighting his off-field indiscretions to sacre off the rest of the clubs. Pick 27 for Darling is the best steal in the last 6-7 ND's.

Like that Lachlan Hunter kid - I hear he is a real lazy wild boy who just wants to party and err.. kick kittens and swear a lot.

Mofra
16-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Indeed. There's this myth going around that Darling's a big guy, as you've shown above it's not that case. He'd be tailor made for Morris if we had him available. Shaggy is probably the next best option.
He does play tall though - Cale Morton from Melbourne is 193cm yet he's a mid.

Fev & Pav are 191cm too, yet would demand someone taller than Shaggy to mind him due to their style of play.

Morris would he more than handy though - for years we wanted two of him, right now just one fit one would do :(

Greystache
16-03-2012, 01:57 PM
He does play tall though - Cale Morton from Melbourne is 193cm yet he's a squib.

Fev & Pav are 191cm too, yet would demand someone taller than Shaggy to mind him due to their style of play.

Morris would he more than handy though - for years we wanted two of him, right now just one fit one would do :(

EFA ;)

Heavier and stronger in the body than Shaggy perhaps, not necessarily taller, but yes I take your point.

Remi Moses
16-03-2012, 03:38 PM

I actually thought they'd recruited the new Laurence Angwin the way they went on!

GVGjr
16-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Backs:
Hargrave - Lake - Wood
Murphy - Markovic - Howard

Midfield:
Picken - Boyd - Cross
Minson - Griffen - Liberatore

Forwards:
Higgins - Jones - Dahlhaus
Roughead - Grant - Giansiracusa

IC:
Wallis - Smith - Dickson - Cooney (Sub)

- Depending on how West Coast line-up I would be very tempted to move Jones to CHB and go with a smaller forward set-up.
- Addison, Skinner, Veszpremi and Cordy in the mix. Cooney doubtful.
- Ideally Howard and Murphy are needed across half back to hit target up the field.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Interesting selection with Addison at FF. Did you go to the game at Ballarat?
There are some things I liked about his game. he is very poised under pressure. Not sure about his ability in the air though, as witnessed when he fell flat on his back, not needing to.
I didn't see the game however think by playing him in a lock in forward role should free up Gia, Dollhouse to rotate into the middle, also as he plays better when he has a set task IMO he may be able to limit impacts on players like maxwell enright ect. as for in the air yes hes OK but I wouldn't want him leading to the ball more dragging his player away or putting on a block things he will do well.

Rocco Jones
17-03-2012, 04:11 PM
I agree with mjp that WCE's depth of tall forwards needs to come into strong consideration when selecting a team but at what point do you just say the quality of tall defenders isn't there and try to perhaps to expose a tall for some rebound? Definitely not ideal and I would definitely have played Markovic even if Williams and Morris were fit. The Eagles are the worst team in the comp to play without key tall defenders.

Will Talia, Panos or Cordy actually do a better job than Wood or Shaggy as a tall? With Shaggy it's not that he can't compete with a tall as I believe he can, it's that we lose him as a quality player on smalls.

I really don't like the idea of splitting time between a key-defence post and part time ruck duties due to concentration issues but could playing Ayce Cordy as our 2nd ruck be an option? With Minson as our 1st ruck, our 2nd ruck needs to spend the vast majority of their TOG (about double) in a spot other than the ruck. This means that Cordy can spend about 60% TOG in defence, perhaps following Cox when he goes forward.

I am also not a huge fan of Roughead's ability to up forward and really don't like the option of Roughy + Will + defender who has to play just because he is tall. Also of run to sacrifice for only 1 position being filled well.

F'scary
18-03-2012, 03:07 PM

good post:cool:

bornadog
18-03-2012, 03:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we pick Minson, Cordy and Roughead for round one.

The Underdog
18-03-2012, 03:40 PM

In light of what's been written here, either would I. While I don't think Cordy is mobile enough to play on regular key forwards, he might be ok for Cox (we can't match up Naitanui with anyone on our list, so it doesn't really matter), certainly more able than Panos (too short) or Mulligan (too Mulligan). At least we then get Lake on Kennedy and Markovic on Darling which are probably our best match-ups (unless Kennedy doesn't play which helps us no end). It also gives us the potential to "rest" our rucks forward and try to exploit the Eagles lack of height defensively (or get destroyed on the rebound) as well as having a 3rd ruck option.
It's a problem enforced by the lack of Williams and Morris which we have no obvious solution for, so it might be better to just give Cordy a shot.

bornadog
18-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Eagles coach John Worsfold said Nicoski was likely to miss at least three weeks with the injury, which compounds the loss of goalsneak Mark LeCras for the season with a knee injury.

But Worsfold said Kennedy, who didn't feature in the pre-season because of a foot injury, and Lynch (hamstring) should return for round one of the premiership season.

Looks like another tall to worry about

Bulldog4life
18-03-2012, 11:29 PM

I hope we do. I think Cordy has shown enough to warrant a game so we are not playing him just because of his height. He also has played a few games in defence with Willy so if he does play down back it is not altogether foreign to him. Furthermore it gives us 3 ruckmen/forwards too if that is how the coach wants to play them.

SlimPickens
19-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Looks like another tall to worry about

Albeit both extremely underdone.

Mofra
19-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Albeit both extremely underdone.
Yup - play 3 tall defenders and roll the dice on the 4th for rebound.

Murphy will get sat on so another option there would be helpful - Wood is super-athletic for his size yet doesn't always find enough of the ball, do we gamble with him or Shaggy to play taller than normal?

DragzLS1
19-03-2012, 12:27 PM

Murphy will get sat on so another option there would be helpful - Wood is super-athletic for his size yet doesn't always find enough of the ball, do we gamble with him or Shaggy to play taller than normal?

Thing is theres a bit of a height difference between Wood compared to either Darling or Embley.

Hargrave is pretty much same height and weight and would be a little more experienced so would have a field day imo.

But im guessing your talking about Lynch and Kennedy when you say tall?

I would have Marko and Lake take the big guys (Lake on Lynch due to his strength) and somebody floating as a 3rd man up. Who would play this roll? Cordy would be great due to his size and experience in the backline (allbeit very minimal) although I would love to see Minno back there throwing his weight around ;) haha

Will be tough and need wood to take some of the run and carry - even though Murphy will some how find space anyway throughout the game.

Cant wait bring them on!

mjp
19-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Eagles backs will be interesting.

Glass is obviously fine.
McKenzie is still under a cloud.
Schofield limped off vs Adelaide.
Mitch Brown is almost certainly gone - and for weeks - from a WAFL incident...

Add to that the injuries to Kerr and Nickoski. I will be very disappointed if we dont win this one at hime.

Ozza
19-03-2012, 03:24 PM

Glass is obviously fine.

Add to that the injuries to Kerr and Nickoski. I will be very disappointed if we dont win this one at hime.

I agree mjp - I think its one we might be able to pinch - particularly with WCE likely to bring in 2 or 3 underdone or injured into round 1.

LostDoggy
19-03-2012, 07:49 PM

Glass is obviously fine.

I haven't been following them but since they made the NAB Cup Grand Final, they can't be travelling too badly.

Ghost Dog
19-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Let's hope we get an victory first game. With a younger list what a confidence boost that would be for the boys.

bornadog
19-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Mitch Brown is almost certainly gone - and for weeks - from a WAFL incident... .

Mitch has been cleared, the incident deemed accidental.

jeemak
20-03-2012, 01:11 AM

Glass is obviously fine.

Any idea what their second or third tier defensive talls are like?

The reason why I ask is because my ongoing suspicion (probably like most others) is that our tall forwards are lacking and would struggle against any reasonable defense. Who do they have to cover the potential injuries in their back half?

LostDoggy
20-03-2012, 02:03 AM

Why not start Gia or Higgins back instead of Murphy being sat on? That way he can start forward and see how we go, if their backs are underdone that will surely create a bigger headache for them than what we lose?

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Why not start Gia or Higgins back instead of Murphy being sat on? That way he can start forward and see how we go, if their backs are underdone that will surely create a bigger headache for them than what we lose?

I would prefer to see Higgins in defence where he looked better at times last year. His lack of pace and willingness to apply pressure on opposing defenders when playing in attack has been disappointing. Higgins lacks Addison's endeavour but is a more skillful player and could further enhance a backline rejuvenated by the return of Lake and Hargrave.

Ghost Dog
24-03-2012, 11:12 AM
I would prefer to see Higgins in defence where he looked better at times last year. His lack of pace and willingness to apply pressure on opposing defenders when playing in attack has been disappointing. Higgins lacks Addison's endeavour but is a more skillful player and could further enhance a backline rejuvenated by the return of Lake and Hargrave.

There's nowhere to hide in the team. If any players, backs or forwards , are not willing to apply pressure, I'm sure they'll get a rev from the coach.

DragzLS1
24-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Higgins in the backline has to chase and does even if it's a 50% effort but with more time with the ball he does look better. Let him rotate with Murphy Higgins is a smart attacker and knows where and when to run, he's just a little slower then we had hoped but can be very damaging.

bornadog
25-03-2012, 06:08 PM
From The Herald Sun
WEST Coast key forward Josh Kennedy has firmed as a Round 1 inclusion after a breakthrough in his battle with plantar fasciitis.

Kennedy has endured the painful inflammation of his plantar fascia, the tissue supporting the arch of the foot.

Looks like we will have to pick the side accordingly.

The Underdog
26-03-2012, 12:26 PM
No Griff this week according to Macca at the press conference. Likely back for the Crows.

chef
26-03-2012, 12:39 PM
No Griff this week according to Macca at the press conference. Likely back for the Crows.

Bugger.

always right
26-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Quick question.....who would you play on Josh Hill?

Before everyone jumps in and belittles him, take a breath:) Hill has the potential to bob up with 2 or 3 goals and I would be majorly pee-ed off if he is a significant factor against us.

Who would you play on him to make sure he is not only ineffective but someone we can exploit? Not sure Wood is the right match-up and whilst I'd love to see Picken rattle his chain, I think we need him elsewhere...perhaps running with Kerr.

That probably leaves three possibilities...Murphy, Addison and Shaggy. He might be a little elusive for Addison so that means it's either Murphy or Shaggy. I could see Murphy making Hill look pretty silly by running off him at every opportunity but perhaps Shaggy might be the best option to allow Murphy to play his own game without worrying about Hill dropping out the back all the time. Shaggy it is for mine.

bornadog
26-03-2012, 01:51 PM

Before everyone jumps in and belittles him, take a breath:) Hill has the potential to bob up with 2 or 3 goals and I would be majorly pee-ed off if he is a significant factor against us.

Who would you play on him to make sure he is not only ineffective but someone we can exploit? Not sure Wood is the right match-up and whilst I'd love to see Picken rattle his chain, I think we need him elsewhere...perhaps running with Kerr.

That probably leaves three possibilities...Murphy, Addison and Shaggy. He might be a little elusive for Addison so that means it's either Murphy or Shaggy. I could see Murphy making Hill look pretty silly by running off him at every opportunity but perhaps Shaggy might be the best option to allow Murphy to play his own game without worrying about Hill dropping out the back all the time. Shaggy it is for mine.

Wood

Remi Moses
26-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Just got a whole lot harder . Thought we were underdogs and now we're big outsiders.

Mofra
26-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Griffen is a massive loss, we look really down on outside run with no Sherman, DJ, Tutt and Griffen.

Eagles will sit on Murphy and make life really difficulty for us

LostDoggy
26-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Griffen is a massive loss, we look really down on outside run with no Sherman, DJ, Tutt and Griffen.

Eagles will sit on Murphy and make life really difficulty for us

Just asking but are Tutt and Sherman definitely out?

Bulldog Joe
26-03-2012, 04:33 PM

No question that the man for the job is Addison. Just the type to terrorise someone who jumps at shadows.

Doc26
26-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Just asking but are Tutt and Sherman definitely out?

Tutt definitely out with hamstring. Sherman did play for Williamstown on Saturday but must be highly unlikely given it was his first hit out and by accounts was pretty rusty.

DragzLS1
26-03-2012, 05:22 PM
If Hilll kicks 1 goal and we loose the game I would be soo cut! I would just play Murphy on him that way he will get beaten 1 on 1 and Murphy would just run off him. Hargrave same effect. I never rated him although he is an unkown and west coast seem to rate him as good back up for Nicoski.

I hope they play Lynch and Kennedy and they play sh1t house with Lake and Markovic dominating them! I dont see why we cant win if we get off to a good start and go hard then we are in with a good chance.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Hargrave might be needed to play on one of their talls (Darling).

I'd try and use Murphy on Hill, because you know Josh won't chase.

chef
26-03-2012, 05:41 PM
No question that the man for the job is Addison. Just the type to terrorise someone who jumps at shadows.

Have you been watching the pre season?

Seems to have found his confidence again and won't be surprised when he plays well against us. Addison wouldn't be able to keep up with Hill.

I don't remember Hill ever jumping at shadows.

Cyberdoggie
26-03-2012, 05:52 PM
McCartney on his press conference today suggested that we will have 1 definately, possibly 2 debutants this week.

I'm assuming the definate is Clay Smith, the possible may be Tory Dickson?

Go_Dogs
26-03-2012, 08:49 PM
My updated attempt:

B: Wood, Lake, Addison
HB: Hargrave, Markovic, Murphy
C: Picken, Boyd, Cross
HF: Giansiracusa, Jones, Grant
F: Cooney, Roughead, Dahlhaus
R: Minson, Smith, Liberatore
I/C: Higgins, Howard, Skinner Sub: Dickson

Really unsure on who to make sub and went with Dickson mainly because I think Higgins and Howard deserve/need to start in the 22, and I'm not sure Skinner fits starting as the sub.

Roughead just getting the nod in front of Cordy, but could even see us going in with all 3 for some coverage down back.

Tough to pick a line up, going to be very interesting to see what unfolds on Thursday night.

Bulldog Joe
26-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Have you been watching the pre season?

Seems to have found his confidence again and won't be surprised when he plays well against us. Addison wouldn't be able to keep up with Hill.

I don't remember Hill ever jumping at shadows.

I did watch the NAB final and Hill get a few on the lead without being put under real pressure.

Jumping at shadows is just a figure of speech, but we all know Hill is not strong in a contest and Addison would give him a contest.

Rocco Jones
26-03-2012, 08:59 PM
My attempt at a side...

B: Wood, Lake, Murphy
HB: Hargrave, Markovic, Howard
C: Picken, Boyd, Dahlhaus
F: Cooney, Roughead, Grant
R: Minson, Cross, Liberatore
I/C: Addison, Smith, Dickson, Wallis (s)

I know the Eagles are tall but I just don't rate Cordy/other tall options down back. I would take the gamble and try to turn one or two going the other way, god knows we need some run from somewhere.

chef
26-03-2012, 09:57 PM
I did watch the NAB final and Hill get a few on the lead without being put under real pressure.

Jumping at shadows is just a figure of speech, but we all know Hill is not strong in a contest and Addison would give him a contest.

I just can't see him keeping up, as in speed and endurance.

Margarine boy;) might be a better option IMO.

LostDoggy
27-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Strangely, this is quite funny.

There have been people on here for the past couple of years castigating Josh Hill and saying he will never be an AFL player. Now, they are on here worrying that he will play well against us.

FFS, make up your minds.

the banker
27-03-2012, 12:16 AM
My attempt at a side...

C: Picken, Boyd, Dahlhaus
I/C: Addison, Smith, Dickson, Wallis (s)

I know the Eagles are tall but I just don't rate Cordy/other tall options down back. I would take the gamble and try to turn one or two going the other way, god knows we need some run from somewhere.

This looks about right. Only question whether Sherman gets a chance on one run as sub instead of wallis. Looking for some burst energy late. We do look short down back.

jeemak
27-03-2012, 02:06 AM
This is how I think they'll line up:

Hargrave, Lake, Wood
Murphy, Markovic, Veszpremi
Picken, Cross, Liberatore
Dahlhaus, Jones, Higgins
Giansiracusa, Grant, Roughead
Minson, Boyd, Cooney
Wallis, Smith, Dickson, Addison

Wallis or Smith to be the sub. Howard misses out because I think with the loss of Griffen we need more versatility in the middle, and even though neither have proven it at senior level, Addison and Smith for me seem more likely to be able to provide cover there.

I still look at Picken and view his spot in the side as a major weakness for us moving forward. He commands a senior spot for his attack on the ball, and his ability to shut down the opposition, though as our endeavour as a unit improves those attributes will become standard across all players and to ensure you have a place in the side you need to have other positive attributes. Addison is in the same boat for mine.

Ghost Dog
27-03-2012, 09:32 AM

Hargrave, Lake, Wood
Dahlhaus, Jones, Higgins
Minson, Boyd, Cooney

Wallis or Smith to be the sub. Howard misses out because I think with the loss of Griffen we need more versatility in the middle, and even though neither have proven it at senior level, Addison and Smith for me seem more likely to be able to provide cover there.

I still look at Picken and view his spot in the side as a major weakness for us moving forward. He commands a senior spot for his attack on the ball, and his ability to shut down the opposition, though as our endeavour as a unit improves those attributes will become standard across all players and to ensure you have a place in the side you need to have other positive attributes. Addison is in the same boat for mine.

He's our best shut down player bar none. I can't see his particular ability to intimidate opponents becoming standard.
Also to some degree, I think he has been underutilized. Has shown some flashes of brilliance in the goal square before. Has a great snap for goal. his skills are pretty good and enthusiasm for the contest second to none. There are a few guys who might have their spot questioned before him. IMO

LostDoggy
27-03-2012, 10:06 AM
He's our best shut down player bar none. I can't see his particular ability to intimidate opponents becoming standard.
Also to some degree, I think he has been underutilized. Has shown some flashes of brilliance in the goal square before. Has a great snap for goal. his skills are pretty good and enthusiasm for the contest second to none. There are a few guys who might have their spot questioned before him. IMO

I have said it for a long time. I would like to se Picken play forward pocket. He has all of the attributes and as a side benefit will "keep the ball in" better than most.

Ghost Dog
27-03-2012, 10:33 AM
I have said it for a long time. I would like to se Picken play forward pocket. He has all of the attributes and as a side benefit will "keep the ball in" better than most.

Exactly. These are the sorts of shake ups I'd like to see from the coach this season. Love to see some experimentation in terms of player roles.

Granted he gets burned off by players like Dane Swan, but has nullified very good opponents. Cyril Rioli, Selwood, Chapman

Taggers often won't get amazing stats. But if they are at least square for touches with their opponent and we win the game, that's a win for them.

I'm from Hamilton so I'm biased anyway ^_^

Cyberdoggie
27-03-2012, 10:37 AM

Wouldn't he be better served on the oppositions best?

ie when Judd or Swan is tearing us a new one, what are your options?

Having said that i've noticed Picken has been getting far higher stats this nab series than he was last year. Perhaps Eade boxed him into a negating role and didn't encourage him to use the ball?, and maybe the new coach has given a little more liability?

Anywy not sure what the reasons are but i think we'll see Picken get a lot more of the ball himself this year, which in my opinion is a good thing because he actually can use the ball fairly well.

Ozza
27-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Dickson is looking a massive chance to be the sub for round 1. Think it makes sense for him to come on late and try and have an impact on the forward line - queries on his fitness to get through a whole AFL game right now.

B: Wood; Lake; Murphy
HB; Hargrave; Markovic; Veszpremi
C: Dahlhaus; Boyd; Picken
HF: Higgins; Jones; Cooney
F: Giansiracusa; Grant; Cordy
R: Minson; Cross ; Liberatore
Int: Smith; Wallis; Howard
Sub: Dickson

DragzLS1
27-03-2012, 01:11 PM
I see dickson starting on the bench and Sherman as a sub for a bit of run.

Wallis will miss out imo although has shown he is improving and should get a few more games this year

Before I Die
27-03-2012, 02:27 PM

Hargrave, Lake, Wood
Dahlhaus, Jones, Higgins
Minson, Boyd, Cooney

He also has pace, kicks the ball well and makes good decisions. He has only been locked into a tagging role because he is the best tagger we have. The reality is that he can go forward, back, or play through the middle. I think Picken is a very important player, especially with Ward gone, and probably one of the first picked. Very happy to have him in the team.

Before I Die
27-03-2012, 02:39 PM
I think we may roll the dice with the three big fellas. Cordy has demonstrated at Williamstown that he has flexibilty around the ground and if WC play all their talls, it is probably the right time to test this out. With rotations, it doesn't really matter where a player is named, so my placement of Cordy on the wing is simply one of the places he may find himself during the game. Sherman is a bit underdone, but some genuine pace is needed and he is also a known goal kicker.

C: Picken, Boyd, Cordy
I/C: Dahlhaus, Smith, Dickson, Sherman

LostDoggy
27-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Wouldn't he be better served on the oppositions best?

ie when Judd or Swan is tearing us a new one, what are your options?

Having said that i've noticed Picken has been getting far higher stats this nab series than he was last year. Perhaps Eade boxed him into a negating role and didn't encourage him to use the ball?, and maybe the new coach has given a little more liability?

Anywy not sure what the reasons are but i think we'll see Picken get a lot more of the ball himself this year, which in my opinion is a good thing because he actually can use the ball fairly well.

He looked like a new player in Geelong. I've seen him as a tagger as that's all he's ever really played under Eade but he looked exceedingly comfortable up forward. I did love his shut down on G Ablett last year however so agree there are probably a couple of realy strong strings to his bow now. Its great to see - hope it continues :cool:

stefoid
27-03-2012, 03:19 PM
I have high hopes Pickens days of 12-15 posession games are over. I think the low 20s, half a dozen marks and maybe snag a goal is the new bar for Picken, and more importantly, support his midfield teammates offensively by providing spread when we have the ball.

Maddog37
27-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Ling was a good tagger but still got good numbers. Maybe Bmac has had an influence on the way Picken plays his role.

Ghost Dog
27-03-2012, 03:26 PM
this all highlights a problem. We don't have many or any other shut down specialists.
Name one player that could do as good a job on Gablett as picken has done in the past?

Ozza
27-03-2012, 04:10 PM
He also has pace, kicks the ball well and makes good decisions. He has only been locked into a tagging role because he is the best tagger we have. The reality is that he can go forward, back, or play through the middle. I think Picken is a very important player, especially with Ward gone, and probably one of the first picked. Very happy to have him in the team.

Have to agree with that. I think he wins his spot on his own merits - and has done since he started. I prefer him in the midfield or forward than in defence - but necessity has seen him in the backline a fair bit in the last 12 months. Would love to have him play on he oppositions 'set up' player each week - as he can find a goal/is a great kick.

jeemak
27-03-2012, 04:14 PM

I'm yet to see him use the ball creatively and my perception of his kicking is that it can be a bit of a liability. He lacks penetration and leaves it up in the air a lot of the time.

I've seen him kick a couple of nice goals under pressure when slamming it on the boot around corners. Though this year I would prefer to be dedicated to developing genuine forward options. Being a consistent small forward takes an enormous amount of talent and nous in the position, it's one of the hardest roles to play in the game. So while Picken would apply the defensive pressure required from forwards in the modern game, I have a feeling he'd struggle to consistently score and create opportunities for his team mates week in week out.

I'm happy to be proven wrong with him receiving greater opportunity to show us what he can do throughout the midfeild if that's what the coaching panel wants to do. If he does get the opportunity and becomes a contributor offensively as well as defensively then that will be very good for us.

Ghost Dog
27-03-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm yet to see him use the ball creatively and my perception of his kicking is that it can be a bit of a liability. He lacks penetration and leaves it up in the air a lot of the time.

I've seen him kick a couple of nice goals under pressure when slamming it on the boot around corners. Though this year I would prefer to be dedicated to developing genuine forward options. Being a consistent small forward takes an enormous amount of talent and nous in the position, it's one of the hardest roles to play in the game. So while Picken would apply the defensive pressure required from forwards in the modern game, I have a feeling he'd struggle to consistently score and create opportunities for his team mates week in week out.

I'm happy to be proven wrong with him receiving greater opportunity to show us what he can do throughout the midfeild if that's what the coaching panel wants to do. If he does get the opportunity and becomes a contributor offensively as well as defensively then that will be very good for us.

So Marc Muprhy lines up. Who else would you put on him? Or Gary Ablett?
I see your points but there are people with far worse kicking skills on our team.

jeemak
27-03-2012, 04:35 PM
So Marc Muprhy lines up. Who else would you put on him? Or Gary Ablett?
I see your points but there are people with far worse kicking skills on our team.

At the moment Picken. I should have been clearer when I said moving forward, as I was thinking longer term. I suppose I have thought for a while now that teams will be moving away from genuine shut down players for a more team focused approach on stopping opposition key midfielders. We're probably not at that stage yet with our slowing midfield and genuine runners, so I can see the need for a pure stopper.

The point I was trying to make is that I need to see Picken develop his game further if given the opportunity, and I'm not sure that he can.

DragzLS1
27-03-2012, 06:02 PM
At the moment Picken. I should have been clearer when I said moving forward, as I was thinking longer term. I suppose I have thought for a while now that teams will be moving away from genuine shut down players for a more team focused approach on stopping opposition key midfielders. We're probably not at that stage yet with our slowing midfield and genuine runners, so I can see the need for a pure stopper.

The point I was trying to make is that I need to see Picken develop his game further if given the opportunity, and I'm not sure that he can.

Im pretty confident that he can.. Dont see why not

Ghost Dog
27-03-2012, 06:25 PM

why will they be moving away from having a shut down specialist? Clint Jones, Liam, Ling. It's a vital role. I actually think we need more of it, especially in our team that has lacked a bit of physical presence for sometime. Anyhow, fair enough view. Just can't see it happening.

Cyberdoggie
27-03-2012, 09:21 PM
I have high hopes Pickens days of 12-15 posession games are over. I think the low 20s, half a dozen marks and maybe snag a goal is the new bar for Picken, and more importantly, support his midfield teammates offensively by providing spread when we have the ball.

I agree, when he started with us he was more involved this way. By last year he was barely getting a possesion.

This pre-season he's been up around the 100 DT points each game.

Mantis
28-03-2012, 10:14 AM
I agree, when he started with us he was more involved this way. By last year he was barely getting a possesion.

This pre-season he's been up around the 100 DT points each game.

But was the shift of Picken to defence made out of choice or by necessity?

Eastdog
28-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Picken I feel is best suited to the tagger role for us as he is a player that will run all day. Markovic will play in defence where he was good last year but Lake and Morris will be players that will have to step up in there for it to be good. Boyd and Cross will always be good whether where at the top or bottom so those are not the factor on how we go this year.

Mantis
28-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Picken I feel is best suited to the tagger role for us as he is a player that will run all day. Markovic will play in defence where he was good last year but Lake and Morris will be players that will have to step up in there for it to be good. Boyd and Cross will always be good whether where at the top or bottom so those are not the factor on how we go this year.

:confused:

And what does all that have to do with the question asked?

Eastdog
28-03-2012, 10:33 AM
:confused:

And what does all that have to do with the question asked?

Sorry Mantis. That didn't answer that question that was just my two cents. I'm not sure why they moved him down there.

stefoid
28-03-2012, 11:58 AM
this all highlights a problem. We don't have many or any other shut down specialists.
Name one player that could do as good a job on Gablett as picken has done in the past?

Sure, but macs approach is - evryone has ways to improve. Im sure he has gone through every player in the lsit from Griffen to Mulligan and given them at most one or two most important things they need to improve their particualr game. And when they have digested and put those into practice, he will give them one or two more. This seems like his appoach.

So for picken, he hardly needs to improve his game defensively, but Im sure mac has said to him -great, your one or two things to concentrate on are... whatever, hopefully about becoming a more offensive player.

Cyberdoggie
28-03-2012, 12:01 PM

That may well be the case, and stat wise he hasn't really changed either but i guess the point i was trying to make is that last year in particular we didn't see Picken try and take the game on himself. There was very little attacking flair shown by him, and i guess you could throw in Addison in a similar way. This pre-season it is clear that both of these players are using the ball more and not simply dishing it off to someone else and then finding a man to match up on.

Cyberdoggie
28-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Just went over the team that played west coast last time around in round 19 and i counted 11 players that will not be playing on sunday that played in that game for the dogs.

Barlow
Hall
Stack
Hudson
Williams
Griffen
Hooper
Mulligan
Schofield
Sherman
and....Ward (don't remember a ward playing for us) ;)

The team isn't out yet but i'm guessing the following will be the inclusions:

Cooney
Minson
Lake
Hargrave
Smith
Dickson
Markovic
Howard
Grant
Higgins
Cordy

Already we are quite a stronger side on paper and we only went down by 8 points in that match.

Sedat
28-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Already we are quite a stronger side on paper and we only went down by 8 points in that match.
NicNat didn't play for West Coke in that match. Cox played and absolutely tore us a new one that day, so with NicNat giving him a chop-out this time around, they will be even stronger in this area. Our rucks are the single most important players for the Bulldogs this week. If Minson and co can blunt the effectiveness of Cox and NicNat at the stoppages, and deny their mids any silver platter service out of the congestion, we will be in it up to our eyeballs.

ledge
28-03-2012, 04:24 PM
NicNat didn't play for West Coke in that match. Cox played and absolutely tore us a new one that day, so with NicNat giving him a chop-out this time around, they will be even stronger in this area. Our rucks are the single most important players for the Bulldogs this week. If Minson and co can blunt the effectiveness of Cox and NicNat at the stoppages, and deny their mids any silver platter service out of the congestion, we will be in it up to our eyeballs.

How do you figure that if we only lost by 8 points?

The Bulldogs Bite
28-03-2012, 04:28 PM
How do you figure that if we only lost by 8 points?

Because Cox single handily won and saved them the game both literally (late in the game) and figuratively (over the course of the game). He was absolutely dominant that day -- they won because of him. No two two ways about it.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-03-2012, 05:02 PM
The loss of both Griffen and Ward is massive for us as is a forward line that needs a huge lift.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Just went over the team that played west coast last time around in round 19 and i counted 11 players that will not be playing on sunday that played in that game for the dogs.

Barlow
Hall
Stack
Hudson
Williams
Griffen
Hooper
Mulligan
Schofield
Sherman
and....Ward (don't remember a ward playing for us) ;)

The team isn't out yet but i'm guessing the following will be the inclusions:

Cooney
Minson
Lake
Hargrave
Smith
Dickson
Markovic
Howard
Grant
Higgins
Cordy

I am not sure how you ascertain that we are going to be stronger. You would need to weigh up the losses of Hall, Griffen and Ward against the gains of Lake, Cooney and Hargrave. I would think it is more line ball.

Greystache
28-03-2012, 05:32 PM
I am not sure how you ascertain that we are going to be stronger. You would need to weigh up the losses of Hall, Griffen and Ward against the gains of Lake, Cooney and Hargrave. I would think it is more line ball.

The loss of Mulligan must surely tip the scale in favour of us being stronger, as do to a lesser degree the loss of Hooper and Barlow :D

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-03-2012, 05:42 PM
The loss of Mulligan must surely tip the scale in favour of us being stronger, as do to a lesser degree the loss of Hooper and Barlow :D

Hard to disagree. I was more inclined to look at the real impact players.

DragzLS1
28-03-2012, 06:08 PM

Griffen didnt play for us last time either so really its only Hall and Ward

Ward = Smith to some degree as I do like Smith's attack on the ball

Hall = Will Minson ;)

LostDoggy
28-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Hall = Will Minson ;)

:D Carn Minnow.

Sedat
28-03-2012, 06:54 PM
AKA 'The Spark' :D - Barlow ignited us into action in the 3rd qtr of that match...pity his 1st half was on par with Mulligan for crimes against quality football :o

Prince Imperial
28-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Griffen didnt play for us last time either so really its only Hall and Ward

He did but got only 12 disposals in what was probably his worst game of the season.

bornadog
29-03-2012, 01:29 PM
My updated team

B: Easton Wood, Brian Lake,Dylan Addison,

HB: Robert Murphy, Lukas Markovic, Ryan Hargrave

c: Christian Howard, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross

HF: Daniel Giansiracusa, Liam Jones, Shaun Higgins

F: Zephaniah Skinner, Jarrad Grant, Luke Dahlhaus

R: Will Minson, Tom Liberatore, Adam Cooney

Interchange Clay Smith Liam Picken Jordan Roughead
sub Tory Dickson

neddie
29-03-2012, 02:20 PM
My updated team

B: Easton Wood, Brian Lake,Dylan Addison,

HB: Robert Murphy, Lukas Markovic, Ryan Hargrave

HF: Daniel Giansiracusa, Liam Jones, Shaun Higgins

F: Zephaniah Skinner, Jarrad Grant, Luke Dahlhaus

Interchange Clay Smith Liam Picken Jordan Roughead
sub Tory Dickson

Looks good,I reckon you are on the money !!!

bornadog
29-03-2012, 02:22 PM

The only difference maybe Cordy for Zeph.

DragzLS1
29-03-2012, 03:33 PM
The only difference maybe Cordy for Zeph.

I agree I dont think zeph will get a go until round 4 and would have Cordy in his place.

Ghost Dog
29-03-2012, 05:19 PM

B: Easton Wood, Brian Lake, Ryan Hargrave

HB: Robert Murphy, Lukas Markovic, Lindsay Gillbee

HF: Daniel Giansiracusa, Liam Picken Shaun Higgins

F: Campbell , Liam Jones, Luke Dahlhaus

Interchange Clay Smith Zeph Skinner, Jordan Roughead
sub Tory Dickson

Creativity = Gilbee
Strength = campbell
Align the Liams down the center.

Mantis
29-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Creativity = Gilbee
Strength = campbell
Align the Liams down the center.

Are you concerned about Gilbee's lack of match practice/ conditioning?

Obviously not... :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
29-03-2012, 06:34 PM

How's he traveling? I'm surprised at some of the optimism about his form -- he's clearly a class above everytime he goes down to the VFL, but hasn't looked consistently up to it at senior level for a couple of years now. In fact, that we are still relying on some of our older warhorses is a big reason we're tipped to slide, isn't it?

Ghost Dog
29-03-2012, 06:43 PM

Come on Mantis, you're just being Agist. Old dogs get on up!:D

Mantis
29-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Come on Mantis, you're just being Agist. Old dogs get on up!:D

Even though Gilbee hasn't been sighted thru the NAB Cup series, you're happy to play him in a role he has been unable to fulfill for the best part of 3 years.... Good luck with that.

Cyberdoggie
29-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Hard to disagree. I was more inclined to look at the real impact players.

I was more thinking about the the other players.

ie Stack, Hooper, Mulligan, Barlow, Schofield etc,

versus the players that have come in.

As a whole the ins are better than the outs.

Ghost Dog
29-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Even though Gilbee hasn't been sighted thru the NAB Cup series, you're happy to play him in a role he has been unable to fulfill for the best part of 3 years.... Good luck with that.

There's lots of players we haven't sighted in the NAB.
Sure, he's had terrible games every game for the last three years:rolleyes: not

The skills in our team have been nearing poor in the NAB. Inject a bit of class and a known team mate. Love to see better kicking from the Dogs. Roll out the leg cannon!
At least, if given an opportunity at the start of the season we can get an earlier idea of what we might take advantage of in this, his last dogsong ( as opposed to swan song ):Dh

Mantis
29-03-2012, 07:19 PM
There's lots of players we haven't sighted in the NAB.

Which other players in your 22 haven't been sighted? .ie. not played.

Sure, he's had terrible games every game for the last three years:rolleyes: not

When has he played well at HB in the last 3 years?

The skills in our team have been nearing poor in the NAB. Inject a bit of class and a known team mate. Love to see better kicking from the Dogs. Roll out the leg cannon!
At least, if given an opportunity at the start of the season we can get an earlier idea of what we might take advantage of in this, his last dogsong ( as opposed to swan song ):Dh

If he was match fit it would be an option, but he isn't so I think it would be crazy to play him... I guess we will find out in 5 minutes what we have come up with.

Mantis
29-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Official team:

Western Bulldogs

B: Robert Murphy, Brian Lake, Dylan Addison

HB: Ryan Hargrave, Lukas Markovic, Christian Howard

C: Daniel Cross, Clay Smith, Easton Wood

HF: Daniel Giansiracusa, Liam Jones, Adam Cooney

F: Tory Dickson, Jordan Roughead, Shaun Higgins

Foll: William Minson, Matthew Boyd, Liam Picken

I/C: Jarrad Grant, Matthew Panos, Patrick Veszpremi, Nathan Djerrkura, Mitchell Wallis, Thomas Liberatore, Luke Dahlhaus

New: Matthew Panos (Norwood), Clay Smith (Gippsland Power), Tory Dickson (Bendigo Bombers)

Maddog37
29-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Nice of seven news to not even show our team sheet. Something about no changes or something!?!

Did they show our team earlier and I missed it or are they just tossers?

Maddog37
29-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Would they include Panos as a tall back?

jazzadogs
29-03-2012, 07:49 PM
What's Djerkurra's story? Has barely been mentioned in discussions on here...I presumed he was injured. Looked good in the intra-club before he got injured early, obviously has been doing enough to impress?

Pickenitup
29-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Very poor from Channel 7 they are banning clubs from showing the teams prior to their news
and then dont even show our side pathetic.

Bulldog4life
29-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Nice of seven news to not even show our team sheet. Something about no changes or something!?!

Did they show our team earlier and I missed it or are they just tossers?

Tossers.

Murphy'sLore
29-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Very poor from Channel 7 they are banning clubs from showing the teams prior to their news

You're kidding! That sucks big time.

Eastdog
29-03-2012, 08:10 PM

I didn't see 7 sport tonight but if that was the case that is very poor.

Ghost Dog
29-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Which other players in your 22 haven't been sighted? .ie. not played.

When has he played well at HB in the last 3 years?

If he was match fit it would be an option, but he isn't so I think it would be crazy to play him... I guess we will find out in 5 minutes what we have come up with.

Tutt, Moles, Djekurra,*!
Come off it. Remember when Rocket put him at full forward last year and he kicked a bag? If he had been absolutely terrible for three years I doubt he would still be in the mix. Although It doesn't make much sense from a development point of view, he has some good skills if his form is ok
If I had suggested Djekurra would have been in the team, you would have laughed at me!

Eastdog
29-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Remember now that Gilbee has been in the system for a while now and he may well have past his best. We cannot rely on the older brigade to get us through. The positive thing is the kids coming through and this is our future. Libba, Wallis, Dalhaus, Tutt these are our future but they will take time for them to be the best they can be.

Desipura
29-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Tutt, Moles, Djekurra,*!
Come off it. Remember when Rocket put him at full forward last year and he kicked a bag? If he had been absolutely terrible for three years I doubt he would still be in the mix. Although It doesn't make much sense from a development point of view, he has some good skills if his form is ok
If I had suggested Djekurra would have been in the team, you would have laughed at me!

Gilbee did not play full forward when he kicked goals against Richmond. His best is well passed him and will struggle to play 10 games this year, unless we suffer a heap of injuries (touch wood we don't)

Ghost Dog
29-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Gilbee did not play full forward when he kicked goals against Richmond. His best is well passed him and will struggle to play 10 games this year, unless we suffer a heap of injuries (touch wood we don't)

you may well be right. but its fun to make a prediction:D

Mantis
29-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Tutt, Moles, Djekurra,*!

Djerrkura at least could have been doing some conditioning work as I believe he had a hand injury.... The others have all suffered leg injuries which is why they will need games in the VFL.

I asked when he had played a good game at HB (Half Back) which is where you had positioned him.

Desipura
29-03-2012, 10:28 PM
you may well be right. but its fun to make a prediction:D

Prediction with substance and reasoning behind it is one thing, prediction based on form some 3 years ago is far fetched and unrealistic.

Ghost Dog
29-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Prediction with substance and reasoning behind it is one thing, prediction based on form some 3 years ago is far fetched and unrealistic.

Our kicking skills have not been great, especially out of the backline. Anyone who can kick well and performs well at training will get a look. Past history or not. If he's so useless then why is he on the team? He's an option, come injury, and no guarantee that Howard is going to live up to expectations this season.

This will be a pretty tough game.

Desipura
29-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Our kicking skills have not been great, especially out of the backline. Anyone who can kick well and performs well at training will get a look. Past history or not. If he's so useless then why is he on the team? He's an option, come injury, and no guarantee that Howard is going to live up to expectations this season.

This will be a pretty tough game.

You need more than performance on the training track. No one said he is useless however he would have to reinvent himself.
A new coach may assist him although I doubt it.
Three years ago, he was one of my favorite players however father time may have caught up with him.

Mantis
29-03-2012, 10:47 PM
You need more than performance on the training track. No one said he is useless however he would have to reinvent himself.
A new coach may assist him although I doubt it.
Three years ago, he was one of my favorite players however father time may have caught up with him.

Can't see a new coach improving his athletic ability which is what has let him down over the past couple of years.

Desipura
29-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Can't see a new coach improving his athletic ability which is what has let him down over the past couple of years.

Unless he has been carrying an injury. Protecting the ball carrier may enable him some time to dispose of the ball. His kicking efficiency has been down for a few years, seems rushed.

Eastdog
29-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Unless he has been carrying an injury. Protecting the ball carrier may enable him some time to dispose of the ball. His kicking efficiency has been down for a few years, seems rushed.

Do you think he may call it quits this year if he doesn't get any better.

Desipura
29-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Do you think he may call it quits this year if he doesn't get any better.

No doubt about it assuming his contract expires.

Eastdog
29-03-2012, 11:00 PM
No doubt about it assuming his contract expires.

Yeah you just feel he is past it now. Were talking about Gilbee right.

Eastdog
29-03-2012, 11:04 PM
2 other players I thinking of: Higgins how do you see him going this year and also Easton Wood.

Desipura
30-03-2012, 08:58 AM
2 other players I thinking of: Higgins how do you see him going this year and also Easton Wood.

Higgins needs to take a big step, his career has not gone anywhere, alot to do with injury which has failed him.
I believe this has had a domino effect on his desire to push himself during a game. He will want to play a full year of footy and show a desire to get his hands dirty otherwise I cannot see B Mac having him in his long term plans.
That said, I do believe he has the ability to be a dangerous forward/midfielder with a 70/30 ratio, 70% as a fwd, 30% as a midfielder.

Wood, has shown a little improvement in his short career, he to has had injuries, I think a full season from him will see him suit the current way footy is played.
He is quick and takes on the oppositon with his pace, is strong overhead and puts his body on the line when he has to. I am hopeful we will get a good season out of him with his improvment graph going up a notch.

G-Mo77
30-03-2012, 11:32 AM

Yep and their coverage of the teams is absolutely deplorable. They didn't even show any of the Sunday squads and the teams were listed so quickly you couldn't even see who was playing were.

At least we'll get interesting stories on players wives before the game. :rolleyes: