PDA

View Full Version : How good can Dahlhaus be?

Go_Dogs
12-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Last year he was very impressive, and based on pre-season form he looks in terrific condition this year. It looks like we'll see him play a lot more midfield, where his pace will be a huge asset. He just seems to keep stepping up to the plate, and the ceiling of how good he may become continues to rise. He's a little small, but he could almost be a complete inside/outside, goal kicking mid who can win contested ball and has big hurt factor outside the contest too.

How good can he be, and if you were to liken him to another current midfielder, who would it be?

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2012, 04:44 PM
I was discussing this yesterday actually.

I think Dahl can be an 'A' grade player. Size is the only issue, but with the way he plays, he doesn't really need size. He just needs endurance -- which looks pretty good for a second year player.

I think he can be a little like Cyril/Boomer. He takes the game on like Harvey, he's got evasive skills and pace like Cyril. Whilst he's not a long kick or a pinpoint passer (which the two mentioned are), he weights the ball nicely.

He looked exceptional yesterday. As the side starts performing better, he's only going to get better too.

Maddog37
12-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Reminds me of Platten. Not just the hair but his game style and size.

Only thing holding him back from what we have seen is his kicking but if he knows his limitations it should not be an issue.

Go_Dogs
12-03-2012, 05:40 PM
I think he can be a little like Cyril/Boomer. He takes the game on like Harvey, he's got evasive skills and pace like Cyril. Whilst he's not a long kick or a pinpoint passer (which the two mentioned are), he weights the ball nicely.

Agree with all you said. Boomer was a comparison that struck me too.

ledge
12-03-2012, 05:53 PM
I actually think he is a great kick, what a pick up though wasnt he a rookie?

bulldogsman
12-03-2012, 06:13 PM
I actually think he is a great kick, what a pick up though wasnt he a rookie?

Yep and he was a terrible kick at junior level. He's improved that dramatically.
I hope the same thing happens with Smith and Talia.

chef
12-03-2012, 06:33 PM
I was discussing this yesterday actually.

I think Dahl can be an 'A' grade player. Size is the only issue, but with the way he plays, he doesn't really need size. He just needs endurance -- which looks pretty good for a second year player.

He looked exceptional yesterday. As the side starts performing better, he's only going to get better too.

He doesn't kick it flat and fast like those two, but can see him having a similar impact.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-03-2012, 06:54 PM
He doesn't kick it flat and fast like those two, but can see him having a similar impact.

Nope but as I said, he does weight the ball pretty well. Robert Harvey-esque, with those 20m passes.

ledge
12-03-2012, 06:55 PM
I can see him getting good brownlow numbers, he sticks out with his hair and his explosive pace breaking lines.

Greystache
12-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Nope but as I said, he does weight the ball pretty well. Robert Harvey-esque, with those 20m passes.

Similar to Libba jnr, and I'm very happy when he's got the ball in his hands.

stefoid
12-03-2012, 09:11 PM
I am amazed he played as well as he did in the midfield. If he can keep that up, we have found the quick mid we needed so badly to support Grif. Imagine if coons had two good knees...those three in form combining with Boydy, Cross, Libba and Picken would be formidible.

His form was the story of the match for sure.

You know, if Picken and Dal can replicate their most recent games throughout the season, we will surprise a few people this year

And what about Clay, Campbell and Dickson? Could be best 22 players in their first years. Yes tom is a rookie, but for how long?

LostDoggy
12-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Jet.

Lock in for my Supercoach but, more importantly, going to be the gift that keeps on giving for the Dogs in the coming years :)

Ghost Dog
12-03-2012, 11:38 PM
He should have just gone for goal on several occasions on Sunday. Passed it off and whoever got it stuffed it up. Back yourself grommit!

the banker
12-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Reminds me of Platten. Not just the hair but his game style and size.

Only thing holding him back from what we have seen is his kicking but if he knows his limitations it should not be an issue.

Oh yeah. Good comparison Platten a great model for Luke.

Cyberdoggie
13-03-2012, 12:35 PM
He should have just gone for goal on several occasions on Sunday. Passed it off and whoever got it stuffed it up. Back yourself grommit!

Perhaps that's where the comparisons between he and boomer end.

westdog54
14-03-2012, 12:38 PM

That'll come with experience and confidence.

ledge
14-03-2012, 01:03 PM
That'll come with experience and confidence.

I agree, new coach is big on team stuff at the moment, Dahlhaus is doing the team thing, but im sure there are rules that a coach would put into having a shot, eg within 45mtres, at what angle should you shoot or look around, if anyone to give too etc etc.

In saying that I am not in the inner sanctum he might give some players more freedom and its a split second decision at times.

westdog54
14-03-2012, 02:51 PM
I agree, new coach is big on team stuff at the moment, Dahlhaus is doing the team thing, but im sure there are rules that a coach would put into having a shot, eg within 45mtres, at what angle should you shoot or look around, if anyone to give too etc etc.

In saying that I am not in the inner sanctum he might give some players more freedom and its a split second decision at times.

It struck me as being something Liam Jones has struggled with as well, always seemed to be looking to give it off.

stefoid
14-03-2012, 02:57 PM

Remember Dal is usually running at a zillion miles a second, just because you want him to be able to drill a goal from 45m out while doing that doesnt mean he can!!

It seems he is very able to chip kick a little floater about 30m to the advantage of a team mate further up field -- Im hapy that he is playing within his limitations at the moment and still having a significant effect.

If he ever learns to drill 50m passes/goals while running at that speed...:eek:

DragzLS1
14-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Remember Dal is usually running at a zillion miles a second, just because you want him to be able to drill a goal from 45m out while doing that doesnt mean he can!!

It seems he is very able to chip kick a little floater about 30m to the advantage of a team mate further up field -- Im hapy that he is playing within his limitations at the moment and still having a significant effect.

Hell to the Yeahh!!

Eastdog
14-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Dalhaus looks like is going to be an excellent player. I love his run and pace which as stefoid said and as a quick mid help Griffen out.

LostDoggy
15-03-2012, 01:56 PM

Absolutely. It is better he try to give it off, than just throw it on the boot and put it out on the full. It's not his fault if there are no better options to dish off to when he gets there. That said, I wouldn't be upset if he gave it a go and missed a few until he could nail it down.

stefoid
15-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Guys who can kick long and accurately at full tilt are pretty rare. Some players have forged entire careers based on only having that one skill.

always right
16-03-2012, 03:54 PM
As much as I loved Harbrow when he was with is, a major knock on his game was the fact he did everything at 100 km's per hour but often barely had the strength at the end of his run to do anything productive with his disposal. Very few players can do both.....Cooney at his best springs to mind.

Dahlhaus strikes me as a smart player who knows his limitations and makes good decisions. He doesn't simply blaze away like many players do.

Ghost Dog
16-03-2012, 08:19 PM
As much as I loved Harbrow when he was with is, a major knock on his game was the fact he did everything at 100 km's per hour but often barely had the strength at the end of his run to do anything productive with his disposal. Very few players can do both.....Cooney at his best springs to mind.

Dahlhaus strikes me as a smart player who knows his limitations and makes good decisions. He doesn't simply blaze away like many players do.

Harbrow was the king of hail mary's!

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Today 19 possessions 8 contested 6 inside 50's 5 tackles 2 goals

Every team needs a small fast player like Luke , damn competitive little bugger

GetDimmaBack
02-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Today 19 possessions 8 contested 6 inside 50's 5 tackles 2 goals

Every team needs a small fast player like Luke , damn competitive little bugger

A great side kick to Griff when the latter is back.

I was wondering about 2nd year blues, but I was over that by 1/4 time. The kid is a gun, and will keep on improving.

Maybe he'll grow out of being the "Grommet" and in time become the "Rat"...

always right
03-04-2012, 08:32 AM
I don't think it will be too long before opposition sides put their best or second best tagger onto him. At the moment he has been allowed to do his own thing but this isn't going to last if he keeps impacting on matches like he did on Sunday. It's going to really test him and it's why it's critical to get Griff back in the team and Cooney back to some sort of form (jury out) so the attention doesn't all go onto Dahl.

It could be argued that he is now in our best three or four players battling it out with Griff, Boyd and Murph. That's a feather in his cap.

Desipura
03-04-2012, 08:52 AM
He is the ignition along with Griffen. When we needed a spark, he provided on the weekend, made something out of nothing which resulted in our 2nd qtr comeback.
Therein lies the problem, we only have 2 players that can do that.
Cooney used to be able to lift us prior to his injury.
This years draft is going to define us as a team in the years to come.
If we draft some quality onballers, we could be a very good side in 2-3 years time.

MrMahatma
03-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Harbrow was the king of hail mary's!
Still is.

chef
03-04-2012, 08:56 AM
He will be an A grade player and by the end of the season will probably be our second best player behind Griffen.

DragzLS1
03-04-2012, 12:36 PM
He will be an A grade player and by the end of the season will probably be our second best player behind Griffen.

Agree with Libba coming in 3rd by the end of next year closely followed by Smith the year after (I hope)

Have my fingures crossed that Tutt can be half as effected as Cooney in his prime, he already has the pace and a nice kick on him, lets hope he has the magic aswell ;)