PDA

View Full Version : Practise Match - Geelong Cats v Western Bulldogs

bornadog
13-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Game starts at 3pm at Kardinia Park, Members can enter for free by showing your card otherwise. $10 at the gate.

Not sure if the NAB Cup rules will be applied but both teams will be fielding best available.

Last big hit out before the real stuff starts.

always right
13-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Smith v Selwood match-up on the cards?

DragzLS1
14-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Smith v Selwood match-up on the cards?

Great idea! Would be a learning curve thats for sure!

SlimPickens
14-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Would love some updates from anyone going.

Wont be able to attend.

ledge
14-03-2012, 03:42 PM
I believe it will be on SEN.

SlimPickens
14-03-2012, 03:43 PM
I believe it will be on SEN.

Really???

Good news

Bumper Bulldogs
14-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Should be a good test and I think interesting to see how our Rucks go, I would think Mino should have a big game as they are a little inexperienced and his presence will be felt by those who oppose him.

The best year I saw from Will is when we had him and Street and Will took charge as we had no one else. I expect this will be a huge year for him and he wont let us down.

Also Geelong have been off the boil a little and are ready for an upset.

jeemak
15-03-2012, 01:55 AM
Should be a good test and I think interesting to see how our Rucks go, I would think Mino should have a big game as they are a little inexperienced and his presence will be felt by those who oppose him.

The best year I saw from Will is when we had him and Street and Will took charge as we had no one else. I expect this will be a huge year for him and he wont let us down.

Also Geelong have been off the boil a little and are ready for an upset.

I think they're probably ready to switch in to gear to be honest. If a pantsing from Richmond at home isn't enough of an upset for them then they're truly FUBAR this year :D.

I think this is going to be a really interesting praccy. We've had a fairly positive pre-season to this point. Last week we threw the younger players a task and gave a lot of senior guys a rest, and the former did very well. This week I expect us to field a side that is almost full strength and give the best indication yet of what to expect in the early rounds of the season from our list.

Remi Moses
15-03-2012, 02:50 AM
S'pose they'll be charging 50$ for the privilege of sitting in a seat?

Axe Man
15-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Squad:

1 JARRAD GRANT
2 ROBERT MURPHY
3 MITCH WALLIS
4 DANIEL CROSS
5 MATTHEW BOYD
7 SHAUN HIGGINS
10 EASTON WOOD
13 DANIEL GIANSIRACUSA
14 CLAY SMITH
16 RYAN GRIFFEN
17 ADAM COONEY
19 LIAM JONES
21 TOM LIBERATORE
22 DYLAN ADDISON
23 JORDAN ROUGHEAD
25 RYAN HARGRAVE
26 ZEPHANIAH SKINNER
27 WILL MINSON
29 TORY DICKSON
30 CHRISTIAN HOWARD
36 BRIAN LAKE
37 LUKAS MARKOVIC
40 LUKE DAHLHAUS
42 LIAM PICKEN
49 AYCE CORDY

IN: Robert Murphy, Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd, Adam Cooney, Liam Jones, Ryan Hargrave, Will Minson, Liam Picken

OUT: James Mulligan, Tom Hill, Lin Jong, Michael Talia, Daniel Pearce, Andrew Hooper, Tom Campbell, Matthew Panos, Pat Veszpremi

I'm a little surprised Veszpremi is out, seems he may not be in the frame for round 1.

DragzLS1
15-03-2012, 03:09 PM
I prefer Addison over Vez tbh although Vez looks like he is learning that position quicklly and will be playing alot of games out back.. Addison just looks like he is harder at the ball and harder to beat for now.

Full squad and looks very promising if we can keep most of those guys on the park for the season.. A few Injuries and we will slide down the ladder (although am still confident that we will be competitive after seeing what the young guys can do).

Dont forget we still got Sherman and Tutt coming back from Injury so that will add a little depth and speed to the squade. Cant wait to see how we go against Geelong! will be a good hit out

SlimPickens
15-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Squad:

1 JARRAD GRANT
2 ROBERT MURPHY
3 MITCH WALLIS
4 DANIEL CROSS
5 MATTHEW BOYD
7 SHAUN HIGGINS
10 EASTON WOOD
13 DANIEL GIANSIRACUSA
14 CLAY SMITH
16 RYAN GRIFFEN
17 ADAM COONEY
19 LIAM JONES
21 TOM LIBERATORE
22 DYLAN ADDISON
23 JORDAN ROUGHEAD
25 RYAN HARGRAVE
26 ZEPHANIAH SKINNER
27 WILL MINSON
29 TORY DICKSON
30 CHRISTIAN HOWARD
36 BRIAN LAKE
37 LUKAS MARKOVIC
40 LUKE DAHLHAUS
42 LIAM PICKEN
49 AYCE CORDY

IN: Robert Murphy, Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd, Adam Cooney, Liam Jones, Ryan Hargrave, Will Minson, Liam Picken

OUT: James Mulligan, Tom Hill, Lin Jong, Michael Talia, Daniel Pearce, Andrew Hooper, Tom Campbell, Matthew Panos, Pat Veszpremi

I'm a little surprised Veszpremi is out, seems he may not be in the frame for round 1.

Disappointed Campbell didn't get another crack this week. Was very impressed by his performance last week.

Still not writing off Vez for round 1, correct me if i'm wrong but he has played every game so far this preseason and may be due for a spell.

LostDoggy
15-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Well thats the end of Campbell the saviour theory. A few contested marks in a practice match with a depleted opposition defence and many here were converted.
He might make it, but at least wait to til he gets a number of games under the belt. Maybe he won't get pushed around in a contest but we have no idea yet whether he can make it to the contest.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Well thats the end of Campbell the saviour theory. A few contested marks in a practice match with a depleted opposition defence and many here were converted.
He might make it, but at least wait to til he gets a number of games under the belt. Maybe he won't get pushed around in a contest but we have no idea yet whether he can make it to the contest.

Why do you always put words into people's mouth? Nobody called Campbell a saviour. Nobody has based all their opinion off one practice match, either.

Secondly, I think Veszpremi might be in a little trouble in terms of securing a position for round one. He was a bit shakey against Carlton and I thought he was ordinary against North, so it's understandable if Addison has beaten him to the 'punch'.

Vez will still play a fair few games, but might have to wait for the first few weeks.

DragzLS1
15-03-2012, 05:05 PM

Im pretty confident he can make it to a contest, I think its more of a match fitness issue.. A good 4-6 weeks in the VFL should get his match fitness up so we may see him step up then if he continues to play the way he has been.. I think big Minson is our savour ;) Cambell is just our future savour :p

LostDoggy
15-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Why do you always put words into people's mouth? Nobody called Campbell a saviour. Nobody has based all their opinion off one practice match, either.

Ok where else has this opinion been gained? From training? Or from hearsay? Pretty obvious the coaching staff don't have this opinion.

Putting a rookie in for the first game after 1 practice match and thinking it will work, he might as well be the saviour.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Ok where else has this opinion been gained? From training? Or from hearsay? Pretty obvious the coaching don't have this opinion.

Putting a rookie in for the first game after 1 practice match and thinking it will work, he might as well be the saviour.

Need I remind you that in determining a squad for round one, generally speaking, you're basing it off pre-season? That means training, intra club matches and practice games. Personally I have seen Campbell 4 or 5 times at training, at the intra club and then last weekend.

A player like Cordy is hardly more developed than a rookie. He's been injured, missed a heap of footy, and struggled at VFL level up until this pre-season. People are (rightly) suggesting he play round 1 -- and there's not a massive difference between he and Campbell. Ayce has improved a lot, but still has a long way to go before he could dream of competing against Cox and Naitanui -- much like Tom, and to a lesser degree, Roughy.

Lastly -- it's a football forum. It's based on opinion. None of us are experts, including you.

SlimPickens
15-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Ok where else has this opinion been gained? From training? Or from hearsay? Pretty obvious the coaching staff don't have this opinion.

Isn't this week another practice match? Whats the harm in giving Campbell another crack?

He did have 5-6 shots on goals last week. Don't see him as a saviour but certainly see him as a good viable option as a tall target up forward.

LostDoggy
15-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Both you gentlemen need to have a friendly wager on it — a beer, for example — and just wait and see. In two weeks time we'll find out who was right, won't we?

Remi Moses
15-03-2012, 05:31 PM

Blimey Thought I was a cynical person.everyone thought he showed a bit that's all.

Greystache
15-03-2012, 05:36 PM

Secondly, I think Veszpremi might be in a little trouble in terms of securing a position for round one. He was a bit shakey against Carlton and I thought he was ordinary against North, so it's understandable if Addison has beaten him to the 'punch'.

Vez will still play a fair few games, but might have to wait for the first few weeks.

Thank you, what purpose an I told you so post serves is beyond me, other than perhaps to make someone feel better about themself.

Agree on Vez, I'm a fan but his preseason form has been pretty ordinary, often playing to loose on his direct opponent, and not using the ball particularly well coming out of defence. Addison's form has been better, and he has also proven in patches he can be a very good lock down defender. If it weren't for some injuries along the way I think he could have made that role his own.

Not writing Vez off but he'll need to string some good performances together to prove he's ready to play in defence.

LostDoggy
15-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Blimey Thought I was a cynical person.everyone thought he showed a bit that's all.

Thinking he showed a bit and picking straight into the round 1 side is way different.

stefoid
15-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Nah, Im up for it - Cambell the saviour after one praccie match! :o Just liked the fact that he is a decent mark and a big 201cm player. rucks are for taking big marks around the ground IMO, and pushing other rucks around at stoppages being a secondary fucntion because "somebody has to do it" :)

Higgins to play back with stints in teh middle as opposed to Vez?

bornadog
15-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Thinking he showed a bit and picking straight into the round 1 side is way different.

I agree with Chops, if you look at the thread "Round 1 team" many have picked Campbell in their team based on what practise match. Our two top Ruckman are Minson and Roughead with Cordy catching up pretty quickly. Campbell is a back up and may turn out pretty good in the future.

LostDoggy
15-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Lastly -- it's a football forum. It's based on opinion. None of us are experts, including you.

Never said youre not allowed to have an opinion.
When there is a ridiculous opinion like playing rookie first game based on 1 practice match maybe the opinion needs to be questioned.

SlimPickens
15-03-2012, 05:51 PM
I agree with Chops, if you look at the thread "Round 1 team" many have picked Campbell in their team based on what practise match. Our two top Ruckman are Minson and Roughead with Cordy catching up pretty quickly. Campbell is a back up and may turn out pretty good in the future.

Can you find me something where he was referred to as the saviour?

bornadog
15-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Higgins to play back with stints in teh middle as opposed to Vez?

Are you questioning the non-selection of Vez?

Vez has a long way to go before he is in our top 22. To date I have not been impressed with him since joining the club and I doubt whether he will make it, but time will tell and I hope I am wrong.

Higgins may not be popular with many supporters but he has talent and was captain last week in the practise match so he is regarded highly by the coaching staff. We know he can kick goals and just needs to stay injury free.

bornadog
15-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Can you find me something where he was referred to as the saviour?

I think you will find that the tone of what has been written by many posters gives this impression, but no one actually said those words.

LostDoggy
15-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Isn't this week another practice match? Whats the harm in giving Campbell another crack?

He did have 5-6 shots on goals last week. Don't see him as a saviour but certainly see him as a good viable option as a tall target up forward.

I'm all from trying him again out in a practice match. Unfortunately there are none left.
This week team is obvious as close to a team for round 1 as we could get.

SlimPickens
15-03-2012, 05:56 PM
I think you will find that the tone of what has been written by many posters gives this impression, but no one actually said those words.

Yep exactly right!

bornadog
15-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Yep exactly right!

so what is your point?

bornadog
15-03-2012, 05:59 PM
I'm all from trying him again out in a practice match. Unfortunately there are none left.

and we already have three rucks in the team that are ahead of him.;)

SlimPickens
15-03-2012, 06:01 PM
so what is your point?

My main point in this thread is i would have liked to see Tom Campbell get another game this week, that's all.

LostDoggy
15-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Thank you, what purpose an I told you so post serves is beyond me, other than perhaps to make someone feel better about themself.

Sorry thats obviously the way you think, not me.
At all time I've questioned why people would put Campbell straight into the round 1 side.

LostDoggy
15-03-2012, 06:04 PM
My main point in this thread is i would have liked to see Tom Campbell get another game this week, that's all.

There are clearly more important matters than trying a rookie out that may or may not make it.

SlimPickens
15-03-2012, 06:05 PM

So do you see all of Roughy, Cordy and Minson in the same side come round one?

I still think this week is a perferct opportunity to try some things out, as premiership points are not on the line and we will be playing a fairly solid side on their own patch.

LostDoggy
15-03-2012, 06:11 PM
So do you see all of Roughy, Cordy and Minson in the same side come round one?

No but 2 out of 3 I do. Already a difficult matter playing 3, did you want play 4 rucks(one of them a rookie) and make it even harder?

I still think this week is a perferct opportunity to try some things out, as premiership points are not on the line and we will be playing a fairly solid side on their own patch.
Last week was the time to try things out(we rested 9). This week is fine tuning.

Remi Moses
15-03-2012, 06:12 PM

Personally never had him in the side.
Bit of an overreaction Chops if you're inferring that people called Campbell our "Saviour"

LostDoggy
15-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Personally never had him in the side.
Bit of an overreaction Chops if you're inferring that people called Campbell our "Saviour"

Maybe it is, just my opinion for those that had him pencilled in for round 1.

GVGjr
15-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Lets get back to discussing the players picked not the one who has missed out.

Sockeye Salmon
15-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Veszpremi >>>> daylight >>>>>> Addison

Maddog37
15-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Anyone else think that Vez will be a good player in time but it may take alot of games in the seniors?

Maybe the risk outweighs the reward but I can't quite make my mind up about him.

Happy Days
15-03-2012, 09:52 PM

+1, being hard is not an excuse for being a crab; at least Vez has ability to work with.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-03-2012, 10:07 PM

Definitely agree with this.

I think Maddogs' post sums it up well. Vez probably just needs to be played and developed. It might take him a little while, but I can see him becoming a pretty good player.

The skill errors last week are perhaps what has cost him. I can see why Macca and co would opt for Addison at the beginning.

Vez is learning a new role too, so it'll take time. I hope we persist.

LostDoggy
16-03-2012, 01:10 AM

That's not proven in either senior football or finals.
Addison has shown ability and desire on occasion, while I would be happy to see it, Ves has yet to show anything on field.

BulldogBelle
16-03-2012, 02:51 AM
That's not proven in either senior football or finals.
Addison has shown ability and desire on occasion, while I would be happy to see it, Ves has yet to show anything on field.

Addison looks an improved player so far. His composure and disposal have improved. I'm excited for him

Mantis
16-03-2012, 09:59 AM

Based on what?

Desipura
16-03-2012, 10:15 AM

That is just wrong............and I do not rate Addison's ability highly.
I do think Veszpremi has more ability however Addison's output has been far greater than Veszpremi's at this stage.

Sockeye Salmon
16-03-2012, 10:25 AM
That is just wrong............and I do not rate Addison's ability highly.
I do think Veszpremi has more ability however Addison's output has been far greater than Veszpremi's at this stage.

Veszpremi has so far practically no output at AFL level at all, but he does have enough tricks to be an AFL player. Addison doesn't.

LostDoggy
16-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I'd give Addison another chance but we have seen him promise us improvement before and not deliver. Bit wary of pre season form as well.
Lets be honest, very lucky to still be on the list.

bornadog
16-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Veszpremi has so far practically no output at AFL level at all, but he does have enough tricks to be an AFL player. Addison doesn't.

I rate Vez the same as you rated Barlow - was that a potato:D

BulldogBelle
16-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Vez and Addision are simply fringe players at present and probably the 20th, 21st or 22nd man picked in order of importance and output

I believe Addision was only given a 1 year contract (just for 2012) and Vezpremni was given 2 years when he started with us - Addison will be gonski if there is no improvement

If Addision was given a role to be a rebounding half back flanker and propel all of our attacks we will be in big trouble in 2012 - he isnt competing for the same spot as Vezpremni and its hard to compare the 2 as they both bring totally different attributes to the team

Macca will be a fan of Addisons game though

Desipura
16-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Veszpremi has so far practically no output at AFL level at all, but he does have enough tricks to be an AFL player. Addison doesn't.Totally agree if you are talking about ability however disagree with Vez daylight Addison comment.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Is Vezpremi being primed for down back to improve his development as a forward or because he is too far behind the other forward candidates? He seems to be much more naturally suited to forward play.

Mofra
16-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Vez and Addision are simply fringe players at present and probably the 20th, 21st or 22nd man picked in order of importance and output

Pretty much spot on - I doubt if picking one over the other is the difference between us winning and losing.

Having said that, as soon as any player runs out in the red, white & blue I give them my full support for the time they're on the paddock so will hope to see him do well.

Mofra
16-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Probably been mentioned in another thread but I'm very keen to hear how both Skinner & Dickson go - round 1 is a distinct possibility for them which is something many wouldn't have picked at the end of last year/draft day.

Skinner seems alot closer to senior action than I would have guessed based on last year's output at VFL level & 1 quarter of AFL.

Sockeye Salmon
16-03-2012, 01:11 PM
I rate Vez the same as you rated Barlow - was that a potato:D

:D Barlow was a potato.

Veszpremi can play, Barlow could run a long way.

westbulldog
16-03-2012, 01:31 PM
IMO Higgins and Grant are passengers and could consider themselves lucky if they get a game in Round 1. I also highly doubt if Cordy can run with either Cox or Natanui so I would have Minson and Roughhead in ruck. I also would have liked to see Campbell get another practice game to measure him against strong opposition.

LostDoggy
16-03-2012, 01:46 PM
All I get out of this thread is a relief none of us are on match committee.

bornadog
16-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Any one going to the game?

Cyberdoggie
16-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Here are the squads for the game:

Geelong v Western Bulldogs

Saturday, March 17, Simmonds Stadium, 3pm AEDT

GEELONG

1. Mitchell Brown, 2. Billie Smedts, 3. Jimmy Bartel, 4. Andrew Mackie, 7. Harry Taylor, 8. Josh Hunt, 9. James Kelly, 11. Joel Corey, 12. Trent West, 13. Tom Lonergan, 14. Joel Selwood, 17. Shannon Byrnes, 19. Taylor Hunt, 20. Steven Johnson, 22. Mitchell Duncan, 23. Orren Stephenson, 26. Tom Hawkins, 27. Mathew Stokes, 28. AllenChristensen, 29. Cameron Guthrie, 30. Matthew Scarlett, 31. James Podsiadly, 32. Steven Motlop, 35. Paul Chapman, 41. Jesse Stringer

WESTERN BULLDOGS

1. Jarrad Grant, 2. Robert Murphy, 3. Mitch Wallis, 4. Daniel Cross, 5. Matthew Boyd, 7. Shaun Higgins, 10. Easton Wood, 13. Daniel Giansiracusa, 14. Clay Smith, 16. Ryan Griffen, 17. Adam Cooney, 19. Liam Jones, 21. Tom Liberatore, 22. Dylan Addison, 23.Jordan Roughead, 25. Ryan Hargrave, 26. Zephaniah Skinner, 27. Will Minson, 29. Tory Dickson, 30. Christian Howard, 36. Brian Lake, 37. Lukas Markovic, 40.Luke Dahlhaus, 42. Liam Picken, 49. Ayce Cordy

Key Points:
No Vezpremi, no Campbell,

bornadog
16-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Steve King said today that Smith and Dickson are inline to play first round. I guess they have a big opportunity tomorrow to show they have earnt a spot.

Greystache
16-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Steve King said today that Smith and Dickson are inline to play first round. I guess they have a big opportunity tomorrow to show they have earnt a spot.

I'm of the view Smith would have to do a lot wrong not to play round 1, I think he's earned his place based on his preseason form.

Dickson would have to have a big game I would have thought.

Go_Dogs
16-03-2012, 08:26 PM
I'm of the view Smith would have to do a lot wrong not to play round 1, I think he's earned his place based on his preseason form.

Dickson would have to have a big game I would have thought.

Agree with that, Smith is a lock. Dickson is definitely around the mark, and in my view whether Cooney can get up and play or not may in some way impact on Dickson getting a game.

soupman
16-03-2012, 08:30 PM
I also highly doubt if Cordy can run with either Cox or Natanui so I would have Minson and Roughhead in ruck.

How is Roughead any better equipped to go with them than Cordy?

Re Dickson I reckon he'll play as the sub round 1.

Mantis
16-03-2012, 10:32 PM

It doesn't make sense to me that we would have a player almost limited to a forward role as our sub.

Ghost Dog
16-03-2012, 10:40 PM
It doesn't make sense to me that we would have a player almost limited to a forward role as our sub.

who would you have Mantis?

Mantis
16-03-2012, 10:59 PM
who would you have Mantis?

No idea at present, but I would like a more flexible player picked as the sub.

westbulldog
16-03-2012, 11:17 PM

From what I have seen Roughhead is more mobile than Cordy.

Ghost Dog
17-03-2012, 12:20 AM
From what I have seen Roughhead is more mobile than Cordy.

Dunno, thought they were equally good. Skinner could be a good sub. A good chaser.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 10:31 AM

Has a stronger body which will be needed against the West Coast duo. Cordy I think still gets pushed around a bit and needs to build core strength.

ledge
17-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Has a stronger body which will be needed against the West Coast duo. Cordy I think still gets pushed around a bit and needs to build core strength.

But I think Cordy has a lot better reach.
Natanui isnt exactly a body on body ruck, he is a leaper.
Would be harder to reach over Cordy than Roughy.

SlimPickens
17-03-2012, 11:36 AM
But I think Cordy has a lot better reach.
Natanui isnt exactly a body on body ruck, he is a leaper.
Would be harder to reach over Cordy than Roughy.

Disagree with this, Roughys leap and reach are extremely good, and a lot better than Cordy at this stage.

DragzLS1
17-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Disagree with this, Roughys leap and reach are extremely good, and a lot better than Cordy at this stage.

I agree cordy is just a little bit more agile and quicker by a small margin. Leap wise is pretty even and strength wise roughead without a doubt. Would play all 3 regardless think they offer a bit against west coast with there talls

Back on track this game against cats is only on sen radio correct?

ledge
17-03-2012, 01:58 PM
I agree cordy is just a little bit more agile and quicker by a small margin. Leap wise is pretty even and strength wise roughead without a doubt. Would play all 3 regardless think they offer a bit against west coast with there talls

Back on track this game against cats is only on sen radio correct?

Yeah its not on fox footy

soupman
17-03-2012, 02:12 PM
No idea at present, but I would like a more flexible player picked as the sub.

Like who? I think the sub generally ends up being the best player not in your 21. If you start reeling off all the attributes you want in a sub then the player that fits them all is too good not to leave out of your 21. Really the players in contention for the sub spot are going to be ythe likes of Smith, Dickson, Veszpremi. I wouldn't say any of them are particularly versatile, and besides I think when you bring them on you can move around the players in the 21 to cover any holes anyway.

Greystache
17-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Like who? I think the sub generally ends up being the best player not in your 21. If you start reeling off all the attributes you want in a sub then the player that fits them all is too good not to leave out of your 21. Really the players in contention for the sub spot are going to be ythe likes of Smith, Dickson, Veszpremi. I wouldn't say any of them are particularly versatile, and besides I think when you bring them on you can move around the players in the 21 to cover any holes anyway.

Agree with that. People often expect the sub to be a player who can come on and have an immediate impact on the game. Other than a senior player returning from an extended injury break any player with that ability will already be in the team.

The only player on our list I can think of that might fit the bill even slightly is Tutt, but I'd like to see him given more game time than the sub provides.

ledge
17-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Problem with a sub is he is a fringe or very good VFL player and gets rewarded for playing well by not getting a full game.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Here are the squads for the game:

Geelong v Western Bulldogs

Saturday, March 17, Simmonds Stadium, 3pm AEDT

GEELONG

1. Mitchell Brown, 2. Billie Smedts, 3. Jimmy Bartel, 4. Andrew Mackie, 7. Harry Taylor, 8. Josh Hunt, 9. James Kelly, 11. Joel Corey, 12. Trent West, 13. Tom Lonergan, 14. Joel Selwood, 17. Shannon Byrnes, 19. Taylor Hunt, 20. Steven Johnson, 22. Mitchell Duncan, 23. Orren Stephenson, 26. Tom Hawkins, 27. Mathew Stokes, 28. AllenChristensen, 29. Cameron Guthrie, 30. Matthew Scarlett, 31. James Podsiadly, 32. Steven Motlop, 35. Paul Chapman, 41. Jesse Stringer,

Should be a good win for us today!

ledge
17-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Its on Bulldog twitter as well

bornadog
17-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Dogs wasting chances, lead 1.4 10 to 1.1. 7

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Listening on SEN there saying that Geelong's skill level has been bad and where doing pretty well.

Bulldog4life
17-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Dogs wasting chances, lead 1.4 10 to 1.1. 7

Geelong too. !.4 10 each

bornadog
17-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Listening on SEN there saying that Geelong's skill level has been bad and where doing pretty well.

Yes I am listening as well. Gee I hate listening to us play on the radio, its frustrating as I don't know where the ball is.

Nice Goal to Griff - he is a star

bornadog
17-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Quarter time Bulldogs 2.4 16, to Geelong 1.4 10

Hotdog60
17-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Is K-rock better then Sen?

Mofra
17-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Am I the only one that detects worrying signs here? 7 inside 50s to 0 at one point, and we found it difficult to score.
I remain unconvinced by our forwardline so far.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Is K-rock better then Sen?

They are very biased, I prefer KB although Cam Mooney is a useless special comments man.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Am I the only one that detects worrying signs here? 7 inside 50s to 0 at one point, and we found it difficult to score.

No I hearing you and it is even worst as Geelong seem not to be flooding back.

Bumper Bulldogs
17-03-2012, 04:34 PM
They are very biased, I prefer KB although Cam Mooney is a useless special comments man.

Yes how was he stating he towel up Lake a few times, big head!

bornadog

Picken kicks a nice one. I like Picken up forward he is a pretty reliable kick. Maybe he is one of the answers?

Dazza
Listening to K-Rock. Very pro Geelong. I couldn't get a sen stream to work.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Listening to K-Rock. Very pro Geelong. I couldn't get a sen stream to work.

You have to listen via the AFL site, or a real radio :D

Dazza
17-03-2012, 04:40 PM
You have to listen via the AFL site, or a real :D

Thanks. First time using a stream to listen to the footy.

Rocco Jones
17-03-2012, 04:41 PM
The flag will wag :)

bornadog
17-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Sick of hearing we don't have a Barry Hall type up forward to take the big grabs, from KB and Mooney

Flamethrower
17-03-2012, 04:45 PM

Kicking to the Bermuda Triangle end in the 1st quarter.

Richmond and Geelong had trouble kicking 40 metres towards the southern end last week. I can imagine during the winter months, and a stiff southerly breeze, it will be virtually impossible to score to that end.

Combine that with the fact that stadium capacity is seriously reduced (just 200 tickets available to visiting teams), and the AFL should consider playing most of Geelong's home games in Melbourne this year.

Bulldog4life
17-03-2012, 04:47 PM

Bit of a problem. But if we can win low scoring games I don't mind. If we lose of course...another story.

jazzadogs
17-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Bulldogs Live Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/Bulldogs_Live)

Love the Live Twitter feed. Not a fan of listening on the radio, so it's nice to just be able to log on every few minutes and recap what I've missed.

#godogs

Dazza
17-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Sounds like our midfield is right on top.

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Bulldogs Live Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/Bulldogs_Live)

Love the Live Twitter feed. Not a fan of listening on the radio, so it's nice to just be able to log on every few minutes and recap what I've missed.

#godogs

Im following it on the AFL website as well as on SEN 1116. Its a shame its not on TV but I guess its only a practice match. Were looking very good.

Rocco Jones
17-03-2012, 04:52 PM
How times have changed that we are complaining a practice match is ONLY covered by radio, twitter and facebook.

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 04:56 PM
How times have changed that we are complaining a practice match is ONLY covered by radio, twitter and facebook.

Very true Rocco. Its a practice match and there are many ways via technology to follow the match so really there is not much to complain about.

Hotdog60
17-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Mooney and KB waffle too much on Geelong players and not on the play

bornadog
17-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Sounds like our midfield is right on top.

We are not kicking goals:mad:

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 04:59 PM
We are not kicking goals:mad:

One thing I think will hurt us this year is not having a tall guy in the forward line. Our midfield though is very good. Defensively today we have been great. Half Time and we lead by 6 points.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Half Time Bulldogs 5.5 35 to 4.4 28

Bulldog4life
17-03-2012, 05:03 PM
One thing I think will hurt us this year is not having a tall guy in the forward line. Our midfield though is very good. Defensively today we have been great. Half Time and we lead by 6 points.

We do have Jones and/or Roughy and Minno plus Grant who is not short. I haven't heard Jones's name mentioned much today. Hard when you are not watching the game to see how he is going.

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 05:05 PM
We do have Jones and/or Roughy and Minno plus Grant who is not short. I haven't heard Jones's name mentioned much today. Hard when you are not watching the game to see how he is going.

Thats true especially when your relying on SEN. We actually do look taller than before in previous years.

Rocco Jones
17-03-2012, 05:07 PM

I don't think a lack of height up forward will hurt us but I think rawness and a lack of quality will.

Doc26
17-03-2012, 05:12 PM

Jones has struggled to get into the game to half time. Roughead has showed a bit up forward. Took a couple of strong contested marks. Converted one and missed one he should've kicked.

Grant was subbed in midway through the 2nd for Dickson.

Cooney as might be expected is not moving freely and appeared hampered later in the 2nd.

Griff went off late with what appeared a finger dislocation or split webbing.

Best so far would be Boyd, Griffen, Hargrave, Lake, Murphy, Cross, Roughead, Liberatore, Picken. Smith has been serviceable.

Remi Moses
17-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Blimey just turned SEN on and they're talking hmmmm Richmond.
Tiger Giddyness is off the Radar:rolleyes:

Bulldog4life
17-03-2012, 05:17 PM
I don't think a lack of height up forward will hurt us but I think rawness and a lack of quality will.

That's true. I was hoping Jonesy would have been more prominent in the NAB games. But then he is only 20 years old and still very raw.

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 05:20 PM
That's true. I was hoping Jonesy would have been more prominent in the NAB games. But then he is only 20 years old and still very raw.

Jones I think can be very good for us. If his kicking improves then he will be dangerous as he is already a very good contested mark. What do you think of Panos?

Rocco Jones
17-03-2012, 05:21 PM

I have no issue with Jones' quality but as you say he is young and raw. With Grant and Minson/Roughy as his side kicks, I think we have/will have an unhealthy reliance on him. As much as I rate him and believe he will improve, I think we need to be careful with him and as fans we need to understand he will have some lean patches.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Third quarter just started and Boyd has already picked up 23 posessions

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Boyd absolute class as we should expect. 23 possessions and once again in for another great year. I met Boyd and got his autograph at the East Meets West Day in this year.

Bulldog4life
17-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Jones I think can be very good for us. If his kicking improves then he will be dangerous as he is already a very good contested mark. What do you think of Panos?

Never seen him play live and only a couple of times on tv so apart what I've learned from the VFL watchers don't know a lot.

Rocco Jones
17-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Let's not getting suspended lads...

bornadog
17-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Geelong has lost the plot, (fighting) two nice goals to Grant and Higgins

Rocco Jones
17-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Geelong has lost the plot, two nice goals to Grant and Higgins

We seem to be fairly into the physical stuff, really looking forward to seeing our new game style when it actually counts.

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Its not worth getting into fights and suspended from a pre season match. I heard that Israel Foleau (Excuse the spelling) from GWS got reported in there match against Richmond.

SlimPickens
17-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Addison getting high praise from SEN.

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Looks close atm but the game can change quickly.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Geelong have kicked some long goals with the wind and are one point down. We have the breeze in the last.

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 05:40 PM
According to the afl website Geelong 49 Bulldogs 48. KB really praising our tackling.

SlimPickens
17-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Geelong have kicked some long goals with the wind and are one point down. We have the breeze in the last.

How are cordy, Dickson and roughy looking?

Bulldog4life
17-03-2012, 05:41 PM
K.B impressed with Cordy.

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 05:42 PM
How have you guys rated Higgins game today. His had 8 kicks and 7 handballs 15 Possessions.

Bulldog4life
17-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Geelong supporters going crazy.....it's only a practice game.:rolleyes:

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Geelong supporters going crazy.....it's only a practice game.:rolleyes:

I think some supporters take it too seriously with these practice matches.

LostDoggy
17-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Sounds like wallis' disposal has cost us a couple of goals.

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Cats starting to get on top in the 3rd quarter.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 05:48 PM
How are cordy, Dickson and roughy looking?

Cordy doing some good things as did Roughie in the first half. Dickson hasn't done much.

Selwood can't get a kick on Picken and Addison holding the small fowards.

Cats by 16 points, but howling wind.

ledge
17-03-2012, 05:49 PM
We losing?

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 05:50 PM
We losing?

We are losing by 17 points.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 05:52 PM
3 Quarter time, Bulldogs 7.6.48 to Geelong 9.12 66

We need to use the wind in the last

jazzadogs
17-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Anyone know who the Cats took off at half time? We took off Griff, Smith and Dahlhaus.

Seemed that the Cats used the wind well in that quarter, so hopefully we can do the same. If we can at least reduce the margin in the final quarter I would be happy overall, don't care if we lose but don't want to get blown away in the last.

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Anyone know who the Cats took off at half time? We took off Griff, Smith and Dahlhaus.

Seemed that the Cats used the wind well in that quarter, so hopefully we can do the same. If we can at least reduce the margin in the final quarter I would be happy overall, don't care if we lose but don't want to get blown away in the last.

Not sure who they took off at half time jazzadogs but I know that Zeph has come on for this final quarter.

ledge
17-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Just dont want us to get blown away, how is Cooney going, is he still on?

jazzadogs
17-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Started the quarter on the bench but not subbed out.

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 06:11 PM

Cooney has had 17 disposals today. He has had a bit of aggro about him today as he hasn't played for a while. Hopefully his knee doesn't give him trouble this year.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Skinner very active with a goal and dished off to Cordy as well and also missed one.

Doc26
17-03-2012, 06:14 PM

Smedts, Motlop and West.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Smedts, Motlop and West.

You happy with Cordy's game Doc, KB seems to be.

jazzadogs
17-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Smedts, Motlop and West.
Thanks Doc.

Good signs from Skinner to come on and have instant impact.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Back to 9 points

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks Doc.

Good signs from Skinner to come on and have instant impact.

How do you think Higgins has gone today jazzadogs.

Doc26
17-03-2012, 06:23 PM
BD, what is pleasing is that our 3 second half inclusions have all competed well, Skinner, Wallis and Cordy.
Good to see Cordy showing physicality.

Btw Jazzadogs, Smedts was subbed off early with what looked a soft tissue strain.

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Doggies still hanging on.

jazzadogs
17-03-2012, 06:24 PM
How do you think Higgins has gone today jazzadogs.
No idea mate, following on Twitter. Haven't seen his name pop up much though...better off waiting for a report from someone who saw the match.

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 06:24 PM
BD, what is pleasing is that our 3 second half inclusions have a competed well, Skinner, Wallis and Cordy.
Good to see Cordy showing physicality.

Its a very good sign.

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 06:25 PM
No idea mate, following on Twitter. Haven't seen his name pop up much though...better off waiting for a report from someone who saw the match.

Its a bit hard if your not watching the game.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Full time, Cats by 9 points.

11.18 to 11.9

LostDoggy
17-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Skinner isnt named on the stats list on the AFL site. Wonder who was getting his starts marked next to their name?

Drunken Bum
17-03-2012, 06:27 PM
While preferring to win obviously, gotta be pretty happy with that result. I must say i am looking forward to this season.

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 06:31 PM
While preferring to win obviously, gotta be pretty happy with that result. I must say i am looking forward to this season.

We haven't been terrible this pre season at all. I think we won't slide down as much as people are saying.

bornadog
17-03-2012, 06:32 PM

Sounds like we were pretty competitive and with Griff, Dahl off the Cats got on top. Good to see Roughie and Cordy doing well and Skinner is a live wire.

Before I Die
17-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Skinner isnt named on the stats list on the AFL site. Wonder who was getting his starts marked next to their name?

Neither was Cordy.

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Neither was Cordy.

Yeah the afl website should have named those players and there stats when the came on.

ledge
17-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Cordy getting a good wrap off Mooney apparently

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Sounds like we were pretty competitive and with Griff, Dahl off the Cats got on top. Good to see Roughie and Cordy doing well and Skinner is a live wire.

The wind sprang up in the third quarter which the Cats were able to take advantage of. The improvement in Cordy is encouraging. Roughead was good and marked strongly at times. Lake and Hargrave mean so much. I was pleased with Howard's game today against talented opposition. Wallis has been good in the past two games and Liberatore continues to impress. Jones was disappointing and needs to do more. Skinner is an X factor and must be pressing for a spot in our first game. Higgins was poor and doesn't put himself in the game enough. Great leadership again from the likes of Boyd, Griffen and Cross who are all in terrific form.
Apart from the third term the WB's was very competitive and will have more depth than last year.

Drunken Bum
17-03-2012, 06:59 PM
We haven't been terrible this pre season at all. I think we won't slide down as much as people are saying.

I'm not looking forward to it because i think we are going to make the 8 or anything, although i think that is possible, i also think it is possible for us to slide a fair bit, a couple of injuries to key players and we will be in trouble.
I'm looking forward to this season because i am going in with no expectations except for wanting the side to have a red hot crack and see our kids play and improve. I think i will be enjoying what wins we have this year far more than the yrs we were up the top and it was expected of us and i'll be able to live with the defeats as long as we are having a go because there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Looking forward to just going along and enjoying the football

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm not looking forward to it because i think we are going to make the 8 or anything, although i think that is possible, i also think it is possible for us to slide a fair bit, a couple of injuries to key players and we will be in trouble.
I'm looking forward to this season because i am going in with no expectations except for wanting the side to have a red hot crack and see our kids play and improve. I think i will be enjoying what wins we have this year far more than the yrs we were up the top and it was expected of us and i'll be able to live with the defeats as long as we are having a go because there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Looking forward to just going along and enjoying the football

I get what your saying Drunken Bum about the season ahead.

BulldogBelle
17-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Anyone hear anything on Griff's injury? Finger or hand?

Any reports on whether he'll be available for Round 1

Loosing arguably our #1 player ain't good

The Bulldogs Bite
17-03-2012, 07:59 PM
I went and had a look today. Some good signs and some bad signs, but another good hit-out and solid preparation heading into round one.

The Good:

* We are much harder at the ball, and our tackling has improved a hell of a lot. We also aren't putting up with any crap from the opposition, which was great to see for the third week running. We've certainly got a harder edge in this respect.

Libba was terrific. He just doesn't waste the ball by foot or hand. He positions himself better than anyone else in contests and must have alot of core strength. He's such a smart player.

Boyd was very good again. Some really good handballs in close to release players into space. Looks set for another huge year.

Cross was pretty good. Not sure playing him on a wing is a smart idea though, because he doesn't have the pace required. As a result, if the ball spills out into space, his opponent wins. This often gets exploited, but aside from that, Cross was very good. Used the ball well.

Picken was tough and won the ball. Much better playing in that midfield, drifting forward. He did miss a few targets by foot/bombed away a little though.

Lake's progress is really encouraging. He had a good battle with Hawkins in the first half. He's still getting beaten on the lead at times, but it can be hard to stop given the way Geelong move the ball. He competed well, killed a lot of balls, took some marks and used the ball really well.

Hargrave was close to best on the ground for us. Defended well and ran hard to create. Used the ball well. He looks really fit and is set fora big year.

Roughead was very good. Thought it was a complete game from him today. He helped out the defence a few times with some great spoils, he took some big marks and kicked one or two. He gets the nod for round one.

Cordy was again impressive. He almost took 3 or 4 good marks, so he's not 'far away' from having a greater impact on a game. He's still very mobile, and he's certainly embracing the physical side of the game a LOT more. Kicked a really good goal, and is just competing well.

Skinner was super lively when he came on. He gave us a bit of everything; pace, defensive pressure, marking ability, ground ability, but he also made a few errors -- such as going for the spectacular mark. He's got a ridiculous leap on him though. Only came on in the last quarter, but I really think he should play round one. He's exciting and at times makes the difficult look easy. In a congested area, he picked the blal up with one hand, dodged a tackle, weaved around another opposition player and then released a good ball to a running player. It was a great peice of play. There's a lot more to his game than just 'flying for marks' now.

Griffen was superb, Grant was good when he came on in the second half, Minson did well, Howard had a good second half (first half average). Markovic and Wood had solid games, whilst Dickson showed more today than he had previously. The only thing with Dickson, is that he lacks fitness. He looked buggered and couldn't offer repeat efforts a lot of the time. He does have footy smarts, skill and aggression though.

The Bad:

* Our skill level is a worry. Some basic errors. Our delivery into the forward half is most concerning, we give the ball far too much air and a lot of the time they are just 'bombs' hoping that somebody is going to mark it. Geelong, on the other hand, always looked to pass the ball to a player and put it to their advantage. We rarely did this, even though we had a lot of the play.

* Our defensive press looked really, really poor at times today. Players were occupying space, but all Geelong did was run in a wave, take the space, and handball to a free player. That quickly eliminated any sort of 'press' we had, and it opened up the play for Geelong. They did this numerous times. I can see us suffering HEAVY defeats if we don't fix this up.

Wallis was the worst on the ground when he came on. His skill level was BEYOND disgraceful. I don't use those words lightly -- it was simply dreadful. It didn't matter if they were simple 20m passes under no pressure or not -- he couldn't hit a target. He cost us at least 2 or 3 goals, and it changed the momentum of the game. Many supporters (both Bulldogs and Geelong) commented on how bad his disposal by foot was. I don't think he even hit one target?

Howard just doesn't take enough responsibility. He always looks to give off the ball to a player that sometimes is in a worse position than he is. His first half really lacked conviction too -- his tackling was ordinary, his pressure was sub standard. HOWEVER, in the second half, he played much better. Used the ball well by foot, pressured, smothered, and looked more comfortable. Still not sure where we will play him, but the second half restored some faith.

Addison does a lot of good things, but he does a lot of stupid things. His disposal is bad. Why was he taking the kick ins? Insanity. He also loses sight of the ball in flight at times, which is costly. He did compete well though, and won a lot of contests based on effort and desperateness alone. Kind of a frustrating player -- makes you cheer one moment where he shows great courage and competitiveness to win a ball, and cringe the next when he misses a target from 10m away under no pressure.

Jones was disappointing, he's really not a full forward. Needs to be played at CHF. He was caught standing and waiting for balls, which isn't how he plays. He needs to play like Riewoldt; run hard, run fast, and run repeatedly to burn off the opposition. He gets a bit lost at FF, and finds himself competing with 2 opposition players.

Higgins. Not sure what we're going to do with him. He offers nothing. His skill level is non-existant, he's slow both in a physical and mental sense, and his defensive game as we know lacks. He always seems to be jogging around, offering little to no intensity. He'll play round one but he certainly doesn't deserve to IMO.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Oh, also:

Cooney looked ordinary in the first half. He really lacked touch and wasn't moving exceptionally well.

He looked a different player in the second half, and particularly the last quarter. He was running hard and fast, and broke away from the packs at least 3 times with speed. It was VERY encouraging to see; he was much, much better by game's end.

Not convinced he's fit enough for round one, but I thought the signs were still positive.

chef
17-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Thanks TBB, awesome write up:).

GVGjr
17-03-2012, 08:09 PM
I went along as well. Some positive signs but we do lack some class and pace.
The ones that stood out for various reasons for me were Picken, Boyd, Liberatore, Hargrave, Roughead, Dickson and Cross.

There is a lot there with McCartney to work with but he does have a lot to do with a few players.

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 08:11 PM
I went along as well. Some positive signs but we do lack some class and pace.
The ones that stood out for various reasons for me were Picken, Boyd, Liberatore, Hargrave, Roughead, Dickson and Cross.

There is a lot there with McCartney to work with but he does have a lot to do with a few players.

The players you mentioned Macca doesn't have that much to worry about but he has a lot work with with others. Higgins I thought was disappointing today and I'm hoping he can fingers crossed have a good year. What did you think of Jarrad Grant today?

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-03-2012, 08:43 PM
The players you mentioned Macca doesn't have that much to worry about but he has a lot work with with others. Higgins I thought was disappointing today and I'm hoping he can fingers crossed have a good year. What did you think of Jarrad Grant today?

Grant was reasonable and it would appear that he , Skinner or Dickson will occupy one half forward flank opposite Dahlhaus. Higgins simply doesn't deserve to be in the opening line up

Eastdog
17-03-2012, 08:59 PM
I just don't know about Higgins. We have all been saying he has potential but like I have said before in previous posts about him maybe that's the best he can show. Who do you think will start Full Forward for us in Round 1 against West Coast. It would have been good if Barry was still around but I think at the end of the day he made the right decision to retire at the end of last season - you can't play forever.

Swoop
17-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Howard seems to have the same problem Sam Power had, he lacks confidence and continually takes the safe option which means he isn't utilizing his greatest strength in his kicking skills.

LostDoggy
17-03-2012, 10:02 PM
I think Wallis just lacks confidence, he definitely shows he has enough to stick by him for a few years yet. Yeah, he cost us some goals, but that's going to happen, he's young. I think Libba's fast progress has put some unfair expectations in supporters' eyes when it comes to Mitch.

I thought Skinner, Cordy, Shaggs and Addison were highlights for me.

Bulldog Revolution
17-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Thanks TBB for the insights

Whilst we have a few struggling there have been plenty of good development steps taken by many in the pre-season (e.g Cordy, Roughy, Grant etc). I'm reasonably confident that BMac and team will be able to get most on his wavelength.

stefoid
18-03-2012, 12:40 AM
What about Smith, Dalhaus? They didnt get great numbers.

For al the lambasting of Higgins, he got 24 possies and a goal. Were they junk possessions won in space and used badly, or what?

Mitcha
18-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Smith and Dahlhaus both subbed off at half time with Griff.

GVGjr
18-03-2012, 12:45 AM
What about Smith, Dalhaus? They didnt get great numbers.

For al the lambasting of Higgins, he got 24 possies and a goal. Were they junk possessions won in space and used badly, or what?

I don't think Smith will add a lot of value so I now wouldn't name him in the round one side.
Dahlhaus wasn't great but it's no big deal.

I didn't mind the effort from Higgins but he was patchy. He can play a lot better than that.

LostDoggy
18-03-2012, 01:56 AM
I don't think Smith will add a lot of value so I now wouldn't name him in the round one side.

I didn't mind the effort from Higgins but he was patchy. He can play a lot better than that.

The Bulldogs Bite posts are THE posts of this forum. Gee Addison was bad (when he was bad
as he did a couple of nice things). Cordy, Zephi, Libba great. Roughy huge forward ruck potential.
Murph is starting 2 get caught - 2 more years tops IMO
How good is Cooney - even the small stuff
Higgins - over it he's player 18 not player 7 and we need
2 accept it :(
They did pretty well though :)

Greystache
18-03-2012, 03:06 AM
Dogs downed by Geelong

GEELONG has ended its NAB Cup campaign on a positive note, defeating the Western Bulldogs by nine points at Simonds Stadium on Saturday.

The Cats looked set to post their second loss at home in as many weeks when they trailed by 19 points early in the third quarter.

But the reigning premiers booted the next five goals of the game to take an 18-point lead into the last change.

Although the Dogs fought back to within eight points in the final quarter, Geelong steadied and won 11.18 (84) to 11.9 (75).

Steven Motlop and Mathew Stokes both kicked two goals for the winners, while Paul Chapman, Andrew Mackie and Joel Corey won plenty of the ball.

"We played OK today," Geelong assistant coach Blake Caracella said. "A lot of our players last week … were a bit rusty.

"And I thought we started that way a bit in the first quarter. But as the game went on, in the second and third quarters, we were much better.

"In the last quarter, the boys put the cue in the rack a little bit, but it was a great hit-out for round one."

Matthew Boyd led the way for the Dogs with 36 possessions, while Daniel Cross and Adam Cooney had a big impact.

Despite the loss, the Bulldogs' coaches, who are led by former Geelong assistant Brendan McCartney, were pleased with their team's effort.

"I'm very happy with the intensity around the footy and our ability to compete with a pretty good contested-ball team," assistant coach Steven King said.

"We got exactly what we wanted out of the game. That was a pretty hard, honest effort."

Both clubs fielded strong sides in their last hit-out before round one.

The Cats, who suffered a big loss to Richmond last weekend, brought Josh Hunt, Stokes, Andrew Mackie, Joel Selwood, Jimmy Bartel and Harry Taylor into their team.

That meant they were missing only four active 2011 premiership players.

Boyd, Cooney and Cross were among a number of big names who returned for the Dogs in the wake of their narrow loss to North Melbourne in Ballarat last weekend.

Both sides avoided any serious injuries, although Bulldogs midfielder Ryan Griffen was subbed out of the game at half-time after suffering a hand injury during the second quarter.

Geelong's main concern is Josh Hunt, who was playing his first game since he copped a two-match suspension in the opening round of the NAB Cup.

Hunt injured his calf in the third quarter and was then subbed out of the match.

The opening half of the match was a scrappy affair, although the smattering of Bulldogs fans would have been impressed by Jordan Roughead's two strong overhead marks against Taylor, Geelong's All Australian defender.

The game then came alive when the Cats mounted an aggressive comeback in the third quarter.

Chapman, Matthew Scarlett and Selwood were all involved in scuffles, before Mackie brought the small crowd to its feet by bombing a great goal on the run from 60m.

Hunt then produced a party trick of his own, booting a great goal from 55m.

That put the Cats in front and they went on with it from there.

GEELONG 1.4 4.5 9.12 11.18 (84) WESTERN BULLDOGS 2.4 5.5 7.6 11.9 (75)

GOALS Geelong: Motlop, Stokes 2, Chapman, Duncan, Hawkins, J. Hunt, Mackie, Podsiadly, Johnson

Western Bulldogs: Grant 2, Picken, Dickson, Skinner, Cordy, Giansiracusa, Griffen, Higgins, Jones, Roughead

BEST Geelong: Mackie, Chapman, Corey, Bartel, Kelly, Guthrie, Corey, Duncan

Western Bulldogs: Boyd, Cooney, Cross, Liberatore, Murphy, Roughead, Picken

INJURIES Geelong: J. Hunt (calf) Western Bulldogs: Griffen (wrist)

Reports: Nil

LINK (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/130907/default.aspx)

Go_Dogs
18-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks for all the reports. Not going to be an easy task selecting the 22.

Bulldog4life
18-03-2012, 10:24 AM

That is interesting. What I've been reading he appears to be a good chance to be playing round 1. I realize you wouldn't pick him but do you think the selectors will GVGjr?

always right
18-03-2012, 10:45 AM
It's always great as a supporter to express our views as to what player should be in and who should be out. In the end however we have no idea what instructions Macca has been giving to various players and whether they are carrying those instructions out to his satisfaction.

He has talked up the notion all pre season that he is developing a gamestyle based on team rather than individual performance. He will therefore choose a "team" for round one that he thinks gives us the best chance of winning irrespective of whether we think various players are performing up to their potential or our ecpectation of them.

Personally I reckon Higgins and Smith are lock-ins for round one but hey, I know as much as you blokes:)

GVGjr
18-03-2012, 10:52 AM
That is interesting. What I've been reading he appears to be a good chance to be playing round 1. I realize you wouldn't pick him but do you think the selectors will GVGjr?

A couple of days back on the Round 1 team thread I actually named him on the IC bench but yesterdays game indicated to me that he still has a way to go.
I think there is a strong chance the selectors will have him in the best 22 but I wouldn't.
I more or less dropped him based on yesterdays game but obviously the selectors will look at a bigger picture. I'm just very mindful that we can't afford a flogging like West Coast inflicted on us last year.

Personally I reckon Higgins and Smith are lock-ins for round one but hey, I know as much as you blokes:)

I'd certainly play Higgins and I think Smith will be selected.

GVGjr
18-03-2012, 11:00 AM
For those that went to yesterdays game what did you make of Cordy? I think he still has a long way to go but he now looks like he can compete against men.

I question what value he could add as a 2nd ruckman but he could potentially cause a lot of match-up problems for opposition defenders if he can hold down a forward position.

It's marvelous what a good pre-season can do for a player.

Maddog37
18-03-2012, 11:01 AM
The Bulldogs Bite posts are THE posts of this forum. Gee Addison was bad (when he was bad
as he did a couple of nice things). Cordy, Zephi, Libba great. Roughy huge forward ruck potential.
Murph is starting 2 get caught - 2 more years tops IMO
How good is Cooney - even the small stuff
Higgins - over it he's player 18 not player 7 and we need
2 accept it :(
They did pretty well though :)

Good points but everyone is getting caught in the AFL now, not just Murph. The intent to tackle has continued to increase again this year.

LostDoggy
18-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the report woofers. Just wondering about Griffen's hand?! Hopefully it is nothing, but all the reports in papers and afl website have him on injury list with hand.

Appreciate the write ups!! Great to see us serving it up around the ball, sounds as if it was a pretty strong hit out, fantastic to see/hear.

ledge
18-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the report woofers. Just wondering about Griffen's hand?! Hopefully it is nothing, but all the reports in papers and afl website have him on injury list with hand.

Appreciate the write ups!! Great to see us serving it up around the ball, sounds as if it was a pretty strong hit out, fantastic to see/hear.

From reports I have seen it has been called very minor but that could be a ruse, i seriously hope not.

LostDoggy
18-03-2012, 12:25 PM
I think the selection of Higgins depends on what the coaching staff see as non negotiable's in the team ethic. Now tackling, hardness over the ball, and selfless defensive acts are what Macca has been talking up. For me from what I have seen and read of Higgins he is still not doing this. At-least to the capacity I would like. This for me goes to the heart of what I would call team play and if that is what Macca is about then his selection should be in jeopardy. If he is selected though I believe in the long term it would send a bad message to the team. Especially seeing that we are trying to create a new ethos. I believe he should not be picked for a few games based on that until his work ethic is up there with the rest of the teams. I think Higgins needs to be sent a message and we can turn him around quickly if we are bold and do the right thing with him as a player. A little hard love never hurt.

LostDoggy
18-03-2012, 01:33 PM
For those that went to yesterdays game what did you make of Cordy? I think he still has a long way to go but he now looks like he can compete against men.

I question what value he could add as a 2nd ruckman but he could potentially cause a lot of match-up problems for opposition defenders if he can hold down a forward position.

It's marvelous what a good pre-season can do for a player.

I love watching his ground work. How a 202cm player can scoop the ball from the deck with such seemingly zero effort just astounds me. I suspect we will have a very exciting forward/ruck if he can keep his body sound over the next couple of years. The Zephi/Cordy goal was a really exciting passage for me. Two young talents both showing flashes of massive potential. The cats fans surrounding me were all asking about Roughead, Zephi and Cordy yesterday - always a good sign when you have kids impressing the opposition supporter base. They were more interested in those three than their own kids. I wish we could have got the ball into the forward line more cleanly in the last quarter when they had Jones/Cordy/Roughead/Grant as four tall forwards for about 5-10 minutes. Interesting they were trying out the 3 rucks on the deck combo and we didn't really get to see what might have eventuated from that due to poor ball use out of the back and from the middle. Some good signs yesterday from lots of players but the last 2 members of our back 6 (until Tommy/Morris get back) still the worry for mine. I'd like to try Cordy at CHB round 1 as he was OK at that at Willy last year and he would fix the tall problem we will face against West Coast. There are no signs the match committee agree with me however and i'm happy to defer to their judgement. Really enjoyed the game yesterday :cool:

ledge
18-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Does Williamstown have a practice match on at all today, if so is it at whitten oval?

Sockeye Salmon
18-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Dogs downed by Geelong

GEELONG has ended its NAB Cup campaign on a positive note, defeating the Western Bulldogs by nine points at Simonds Stadium on Saturday...

Was that from the Geelong Addy?

Almost every comment was about Geelong.

AndrewP6
18-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Was that from the Geelong Addy?

Almost every comment was about Geelong.

Nope, link was to the WB site, article by Adam McNicol.

Eastdog
18-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Does Williamstown have a practice match on at all today, if so is it at whitten oval?

Not sure ledge. I checked the Williamstown FC website and I didn't see anything.

Cyberdoggie
18-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the write ups, some good points, very accurate observations also there by TBB

DOG GOD
18-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the reports one and all....looking fwd to the start of the season to see all this put into practice when it matters.

bornadog
18-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Cameron Mooney was discussing BMac yesterday and said at one stage Bmac was the backline coach and helped mould together the great Geelong backline that they have been known for.

Then he became the midfield coach and we know how great they have been. Mooney had high praise for BMac and said he will be a very good coach.

Swoop
18-03-2012, 06:30 PM
I think a not too much can be read into the performance of the younger players in this game. They shouldered a lot of workload the week earlier when some of our more experienced players were rested and I think they went in with a preconceived plan to have limited game time.

All of Cordy, Dahlhaus, Grant, Smith & Wallis played 51, 41, 52, 38 & 46% game time respectively.

Bulldog Revolution
18-03-2012, 08:57 PM
I think a not too much can be read into the performance of the younger players in this game. They shouldered a lot of workload the week earlier when some of our more experienced players were rested and I think they went in with a preconceived plan to have limited game time.

All of Cordy, Dahlhaus, Grant, Smith & Wallis played 51, 41, 52, 38 & 46% game time respectively.

Interesting observation Swooper

Sedat
18-03-2012, 11:42 PM
We won the contested possession count again, 150 to 130. Very good sign but also concerning because we seem to be coughing the ball up too easily after our hard-won gains in at the coalface.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-03-2012, 03:38 AM
We won the contested possession count again, 150 to 130. Very good sign but also concerning because we seem to be coughing the ball up too easily after our hard-won gains in at the coalface.

I suppose it's the first area McCartney wanted to improve. I read somewhere he said it was important to "fix the inside" before tending to the "outside".

It makes sense, but it's going to be a painful first year or two.

Thinking back to Rocket and when he first arrived, a similar process was put in place. We added size and increased our fitness base, our defenders were forced to learn to defend by themselves, we put a big emphasis on contested ball, and then around 08-09 we recruited skillful players (eg. Akermanis). We almost got there.

Hopefully McCartney's stepping paths lead us to success, but as we know, it won't be easy and there's no guarantee.

bornadog
19-03-2012, 01:21 PM
I suppose it's the first area McCartney wanted to improve. I read somewhere he said it was important to "fix the inside" before tending to the "outside".

It makes sense, but it's going to be a painful first year or two.

Thinking back to Rocket and when he first arrived, a similar process was put in place. We added size and increased our fitness base, our defenders were forced to learn to defend by themselves, we put a big emphasis on contested ball, and then around 08-09 we recruited skillful players (eg. Akermanis). We almost got there.

Hopefully McCartney's stepping paths lead us to success, but as we know, it won't be easy and there's no guarantee.

I don't think contested possessions was the problem in the last few years under Rocket, its been the spread from the contest and being able to work around the the forward pressure, or apply the forward pressure.

Have we improved in these araes under BMac........... time will tell

The Bulldogs Bite
19-03-2012, 01:46 PM
I don't think contested possessions was the problem in the last few years under Rocket, its been the spread from the contest and being able to work around the the forward pressure, or apply the forward pressure.

Contested possession was a strength in 2009, but not in 2011. We were truly cooked by last season.

We were poor in most areas, so in many ways, we're building from the ground up again. McCartney's starting from the inside, and has said he'll work out -- which isn't a bad idea. Let's just hope it works.

Dalrymple has a huge job in front of him, one of the most important of all.

immortalmike
19-03-2012, 02:43 PM

As TBB said we dropped off in contested possession significantly last year. And I'd add that it wasn't only forward pressure that was our problem as I'd extend that to midfield pressure as well. Judging by pre-season we seem to have improved on both of those but not so much spread from the contest. But then again it's only pre-season...

bornadog
19-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Contested possession was a strength in 2009, but not in 2011. We were truly cooked by last season.

We were poor in most areas, so in many ways, we're building from the ground up again. McCartney's starting from the inside, and has said he'll work out -- which isn't a bad idea. Let's just hope it works.

Dalrymple has a huge job in front of him, one of the most important of all.

2008, 2009 and 2010 we were second in CP in the AFL. Last year we were mid table, but with 11 new players and all young, plus injuries etc, no wonder.

I guess what I am saying is in the past this has not been our biggest concern, but agree
we need to build up again.

Ozza
19-03-2012, 03:49 PM
When I think about contested possessions I always think about that Hawthorn game that we lost at the G' in 2010 - by less than a goal. We were hard at it all night against a very tough contested team - but we didn't get quality out of the amount of ball we had because we had too many in a the contested ball - and as bornadog suggested previously - not enough players spreading and linking up/providing an option. This really hurt us last year, we seemed flat footed at times. In the North Melbourne game late in the year, they sprinted away from us in waves - and its not all a leg speed issue - its a mindset and awareness issue as well - with guys getting sucked into the ball with the blinkers on.

stefoid
19-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Man, I just looked at the 'advanced' stats on the AFL website.

Wallis only got 3/15 posessions contested, and yet had a game high 5 clangers and an efficiency of 47%. Thats pretty bad, I cant see how we can pick him based on those sorts of numbers.

Compare with Libba who got a game high 14/23 contested possies and a DE of 78% !!

Howard got 6/15 conetsted posseis and 100% disposal efficiency!! Not sure how many risks he was taking with his disposal but 6 cotested means he must have been under some ind of pressure with those at least.

I think Howard deserves a crack at half back for round 1.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-03-2012, 06:44 PM
2008, 2009 and 2010 we were second in CP in the AFL. Last year we were mid table, but with 11 new players and all young, plus injuries etc, no wonder.

I guess what I am saying is in the past this has not been our biggest concern, but agree
we need to build up again.

What isn't being discussed is our lack of quality forwards. Our midfield is good and our defence with Lake and Hargrave back is more than adequate. Jones is still learning his craft and hardly stacks up against the likes of Cloke, Franklin, Hawkins and Riewolt. We still haven't been able to replace Barry Hall at FF.

ledge
19-03-2012, 07:53 PM
What isn't being discussed is our lack of quality forwards. Our midfield is good and our defence with Lake and Hargrave back is more than adequate. Jones is still learning his craft and hardly stacks up against the likes of Cloke, Franklin, Hawkins and Riewolt. We still haven't been able to replace Barry Hall at FF.

I think our forwards will work when our mids start delivering properly, our problem is our midfield get it ok but butcher it in delivery.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-03-2012, 08:08 PM
I think our forwards will work when our mids start delivering properly, our problem is our midfield get it ok but butcher it in delivery.

I think that's correct. I also think it's fair to add that Jones and Grant don't necessarily put themselves into the right positions enough times through out games yet.

This year will be a massive learning curve for Jones and Grant. Without the bonus of having the experienced Hall beside them, demanding the best defender one or both of these guys at some stage are going to have to step up. Are they capable yet? Will they ever be capable? I don't think either are quite ready, and I have more confidence in Jones' ability to eventually be a succeful key forward than I am with Grant.

MrMahatma
20-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Wasn't it more we couldn't convert/didn't have a fwd stand up?

Sedat
20-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Wasn't it more we couldn't convert/didn't have a fwd stand up?
Geelong had more inside 50 entries, so I think it was a matter of our turnovers gifting the ball back to the Cats - either that or they were able to spread from the contest far more effectively than we were.

jeemak
20-03-2012, 01:48 AM
Man, I just looked at the 'advanced' stats on the AFL website.

Wallis only got 3/15 posessions contested, and yet had a game high 5 clangers and an efficiency of 47%. Thats pretty bad, I cant see how we can pick him based on those sorts of numbers.

Compare with Libba who got a game high 14/23 contested possies and a DE of 78% !!

Howard got 6/15 conetsted posseis and 100% disposal efficiency!! Not sure how many risks he was taking with his disposal but 6 cotested means he must have been under some ind of pressure with those at least.

I think Howard deserves a crack at half back for round 1.

Stefoid, you of all posters know better than to judge a performance of a player by stats! There's pressure, and then there's pressure, there's effectiveness, and then there's effectiveness. :D

LostDoggy
20-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Stefoid, you of all posters know better than to judge a performance of a player by stats! There's pressure, and then there's pressure, there's effectiveness, and then there's effectiveness. :D

Actually, in the case of Mitch, the stats had it pretty right. He had an absolute shocker of a game. Fortunately, he's still got time in front of him to develop and get to the level he needs to be, but he's not there yet and we saw that on Saturday.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Howard had a pretty good second half, it was pleasing to see.

Dry Rot
21-03-2012, 01:27 AM
BTW, what happened to us in the third quarter?

Hotdog60
21-03-2012, 07:26 AM
BTW, what happened to us in the third quarter?

Some silly turn overs and it got them on a roll. To our credit we got back in to the game but its hard to give up 5 goals and get away with it.

The Coon Dog
21-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Some silly turn overs and it got them on a roll. To our credit we got back in to the game but its hard to give up 5 goals and get away with it.

According to SEN the wind sprung up a bit too towards the end Geelong kicked to. Not sure what impact that had though.

stefoid
21-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Probably our concentration dropped and our defensive pressure eased and geelong, very very good, started to score.

An object lesseon to the youngsters in maintaining focus for the whole game.

Desipura
21-03-2012, 11:29 AM
According to SEN the wind sprung up a bit too towards the end Geelong kicked to. Not sure what impact that had though.
When guys were kicking goals from 60 metres out, I would say a fair bit of an impact.

DragzLS1
21-03-2012, 12:23 PM

I heard there was a strong breeze all game although as you said in the third quarter it had picked up.. Guessing we eased off a bit and Geelong stepped it up a level along with the breeze.. Still happy with how we went we dont want to be beating the premiers in the pre season now do we ;) would rather wait for the season proper..

Am very excited with what I saw with Cooney in the 2nd half aswell looks like he has found his feet and should be good to go round 1.. Also like Skinner up forward and Grant has really suprised me with all the little things looking like a very solid year for us!