PDA

View Full Version : Steven King Fined

The Underdog
19-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Busted for Drink Driving on the way home from G-Town on Sunday morning. Looks like someone stayed down and had a night out with the boys.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/131003/default.aspx

LostDoggy
19-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Stupid. The ad is spot on: anybody that drinks and drives is a bloody idiot.

Hopefully a good wake up call for the bloke. A $5000 fine from the club (in addition to whatever the law dishes out) sure beats dying.

Happy to see the club being proactive with the press release.

bornadog
19-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Well if he loses his license he will have to get a lift or use public transport to training and games.

westdog54
19-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Well if he loses his license he will have to get a lift or use public transport to training and games.

If it goes to court and it is found proven he will lose his licence, magistrates don't have discretion not to.

The Underdog
19-03-2012, 05:22 PM
If it goes to court and it is found proven he will lose his licence, magistrates don't have discretion not to.

Reported in the Age as blowing 0.175. Licence gone for a year.

chef
19-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Moron. I have no time for any idiot who gets behind the wheel of a car while pissed, lucky he didn't hurt anyone.

AndrewP6
19-03-2012, 05:54 PM
IMO this is more embarrassing than a player stuffing up - he's supposed to have been through that phase and, you would think, learn from it.

What an idiotic thing to do. I've got friends who are in wheelchairs because they (or someone else) did things as stupid as this.

ledge
19-03-2012, 06:17 PM
How do the players respect him now?

LostDoggy
19-03-2012, 06:44 PM
How do the players respect him now?

The midfield must consider his drink driving record before asking him where to tap the ball and where to at stand a ruck contest.

What's it got to do with coaching and respect?

Shannon Grant is a bigger knob but I doubt they don't respect him.

He made a mistake that many do.

Maddog37
19-03-2012, 06:50 PM
What a dill pickle.

azabob
19-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Wonder what time he stopped drinking?

Westdog 54 do you know what percentage of drink drivers are caught "the morning after'?

hotdog
19-03-2012, 07:12 PM
The midfield must consider his drink driving record before asking him where to tap the ball and where to at stand a ruck contest.

Agree Chops. Kingy seems a bloke that would have a presence about him and I doubt there would be an issue with loss of respect. We dont even know the finer details. Could have been very low range. Hell there are many times I have driven the day after a wedding etc. He has made a mistake and will take his medicine.

ledge
19-03-2012, 07:45 PM

More to the point of if a player has a drink he can hardly say anything, at his age and his job he should know better.

Bit like my boss telling me its not allowed to have a mobile phone at work because it interferes with the bluetooth reception, then walking around talking on one.
We all know what reaction the workers would have.

ledge
19-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Agree Chops. Kingy seems a bloke that would have a presence about him and I doubt there would be an issue with loss of respect. We dont even know the finer details. Could have been very low range. Hell there are many times I have driven the day after a wedding etc. He has made a mistake and will take his medicine.

It was 3 and a half times the legal limit the day after, hardly low range:(

ledge
19-03-2012, 07:50 PM

Shannon Grant hasnt done it while in a leadership role at our club, thats the difference.

westdog54
19-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Wonder what time he stopped drinking?

Westdog 54 do you know what percentage of drink drivers are caught "the morning after'?

As a percentage, no I don't have the figure and stuffed if I know where I could find it.

Having said that its far more common than people realise and we're certainly out looking for it on weekend mornings.

People tend to be very under-educated about alcohol and how the body processes it.

Hotdog60
19-03-2012, 08:59 PM
What a DH, it's good to see his mates looked after him when he finish his session. This is just as embarrassing for the club as King.

LostDoggy
19-03-2012, 10:10 PM
More to the point of if a player has a drink he can hardly say anything, at his age and his job he should know better.

Bit like my boss telling me its not allowed to have a mobile phone at work because it interferes with the bluetooth reception, then walking around talking on one.

What's drinking got to with coaching?
How can you compare with your situation? One he isn't the players boss nor would he preach - alcohol rules to them, Two he wasn't at work.

More like saying collingwood coaching staff have little respect for Cloke because he lost his license.

LostDoggy
19-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Shannon Grant hasnt done it while in a leadership role at our club, thats the difference.

Coaching not leadership.
If there is a problem, I'd say the head coach or football manager would have their say not the players.

We got Grant knowing his record for alcohol incidents were worse(even at training)-thats ok but the players wont respect King.

bornadog
19-03-2012, 11:33 PM
As a percentage, no I don't have the figure and stuffed if I know where I could find it.

Having said that its far more common than people realise and we're certainly out looking for it on weekend mornings.

People tend to be very under-educated about alcohol and how the body processes it.

I have been breathalysed many time early in the morning. The last time was news years day coming home from Metung. Lucky I didn't have a big night.:D

the banker
20-03-2012, 02:26 AM
King will have to show true contrition and earn the respect of the playing group. Maccas mantra is team. Indiscretions reflect badly on the TEAM. Coaching staff are part of the team IMO. Positives can come from it if lessons fully learnt by all.

Had liked his influence up to this point, lots of ruck and mid-field positives coming out of the games.

LostDoggy
20-03-2012, 02:46 PM
IMO this is more embarrassing than a player stuffing up - he's supposed to have been through that phase and, you would think, learn from it.

What an idiotic thing to do. I've got friends who are in wheelchairs because they (or someone else) did things as stupid as this.

Agree. I've got friends who are dead for the same reason. The best man at my wedding killed himself a month later drink driving. It's a bloody stupid way to die.

Too right. As a coach, he assumes a certain leadership responsibility, and he's let them down.

What a DH, it's good to see his mates looked after him when he finish his session. This is just as embarrassing for the club as King.

I agree that when you're drunk, your mates should look out for you, but have you ever tried it? Ever tried telling a mate he's too drunk, or hasn't waited long enough, before getting in the car?

We don't know that his mates didn't look out for him. He is responsible for his own actions.

Coaching not leadership.
If there is a problem, I'd say the head coach or football manager would have their say not the players.

We got Grant knowing his record for alcohol incidents were worse(even at training)-thats ok but the players wont respect King.

Sorry, but you've got to be kidding, with that post. Coaching is leadership. They may not respect either of them in that situation, and that's a loss any way you put — a loss of a senior figure who players can look up to and be guided by. OK, it's not going to affect the ruck work, as you say, but to turn around and say “Coaching not leadership” displays a pretty poor appreciation for the role of a coach in a professional team that has spent the summer preaching about “good people, not just good players”.

westdog54
20-03-2012, 05:20 PM
I have been breathalysed many time early in the morning. The last time was news years day coming home from Metung. Lucky I didn't have a big night.:D

We're constantly getting the booze bus out in the morning, particularly on the way out to the Ararat Prison Construction Site, a few of their guys are known to get on the piss on Thursday night before everyone heads to home towns for the weekend.

bornadog
20-03-2012, 05:24 PM
We're constantly getting the booze bus out in the morning, particularly on the way out to the Ararat Prison Construction Site, a few of their guys are known to get on the piss on Thursday night before everyone heads to home towns for the weekend.

The best one was on St Kilda rd opposite the Arts Centre. A PWC came out of no where at 10am on horse and I had to reach up and grab the breathlyser.:) I thought it was quiet funny.

westdog54
20-03-2012, 11:05 PM
The best one was on St Kilda rd opposite the Arts Centre. A PWC came out of no where at 10am on horse and I had to reach up and grab the breathlyser.:) I thought it was quiet funny.

Vehicle intercept on horseback?

I'm smiling just picturing it:D

LostDoggy
21-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Sorry, but you've got to be kidding, with that post. Coaching is leadership.
Ok my wording is wrong. I should have said its just not leadership and this circumstance he isnt even the head coach or leader. A couple of weeks back some here were saying coaching is teaching, that's as wrong as your statement is.

jeemak
21-03-2012, 12:54 AM
He's a dill, though it's not the end of the world in regards to the playing group respecting him.

It's easy to lambaste him for a stupid error however, the people who have suffered in this instance are himself, his family and probably some friends that will have to pick up the slack for his stupid behaviour. Nobody died or got injured as a result, and it's lucky that is the case.

As long as he is contrite, admits that he's done the wrong thing and demonstrates he wants to show the playing group and the football club in general (and his family and friends) that he wants to make amends for his mistake then things can get back on track.

westdog54
21-03-2012, 08:00 AM
He's a dill, though it's not the end of the world in regards to the playing group respecting him.

It's easy to lambaste him for a stupid error however, the people who have suffered in this instance are himself, his family and probably some friends that will have to pick up the slack for his stupid behaviour. Nobody died or got injured as a result, and it's lucky that is the case.

As long as he is contrite, admits that he's done the wrong thing and demonstrates he wants to show the playing group and the football club in general (and his family and friends) that he wants to make amends for his mistake then things can get back on track.

Very, very, very lucky. Given he was 3 times the legal limit and on the freeway. Wouldn't surprise me if the member who pulled him over interviewed him for Conduct Endangering Life.

In terms of the club, if he's come clean, informed the club and paid his fine, as far as I'm concerned he's square with the club.

Ghost Dog
22-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Very, very, very lucky. Given he was 3 times the legal limit and on the freeway. Wouldn't surprise me if the member who pulled him over interviewed him for Conduct Endangering Life.

In terms of the club, if he's come clean, informed the club and paid his fine, as far as I'm concerned he's square with the club.

He's played at St Kilda!!!! beware :D

Ghost Dog
22-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Anyone met or talked to King yet?

The Underdog
22-03-2012, 09:22 PM

The scary part was it was 9.30am. Had he even been to bed? I could understand being .06 or something but .175.

azabob
22-03-2012, 10:20 PM

Not personally, but he has pretty much been our "spokesperson" for all of the pre-season. Are you trying to figure out what type of person he is?

bornadog
22-03-2012, 11:15 PM

My mother in law met him when he was going out with her friends daughter. Apparently a terrific bloke.

jeemak
22-03-2012, 11:29 PM
The scary part was it was 9.30am. Had he even been to bed? I could understand being .06 or something but .175.

Going to bed wouldn't have made much of a difference. I'm more concerned about when he stopped drinking.

For instance, if he had have stopped at 2:00am he must have been fairly well hammered when he finished his session, but might have felt alright when he woke up even though he'd not processed the alcohol.

Sleeping and waking up feeling OK is the big danger, it gives you confidence to get in the car when you've still got booze pumping through your veins. Can anyone say they've never driven the day after without having the potential to be over the limit?

Sedat
22-03-2012, 11:36 PM
King picked a great week to be a complete and utter douche - been completely lost amid the Rendell and Stynes stories.

Greystache
22-03-2012, 11:40 PM
King picked a great week to be a complete and utter douche - been completely lost amid the Rendell and Stynes stories.

Indeed, in the scheme of things it's barely rated a mention.

GVGjr
23-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Has he been caught before?

Topdog
23-03-2012, 01:37 AM
Going to bed wouldn't have made much of a difference. I'm more concerned about when he stopped drinking.

For instance, if he had have stopped at 2:00am he must have been fairly well hammered when he finished his session, but might have felt alright when he woke up even though he'd not processed the alcohol.

Sleeping and waking up feeling OK is the big danger, it gives you confidence to get in the car when you've still got booze pumping through your veins. Can anyone say they've never driven the day after without having the potential to be over the limit?

Fairly certain it is impossible to be feeling OK at 0.175

jeemak
23-03-2012, 02:38 AM
Fairly certain it is impossible to be feeling OK at 0.175

I would agree with that.

Though I think you might be surprised at how high you can register in terms of blood alcohol concentration the day after a big night, when you've had a decent amount of kip and eaten a big breakfast (neither of which do much for reducing the concentration of alcohol in the bloodstream).

I guess what I'm getting at is that many people have big nights, finish up at 2am have a good night's sleep and get in the car at 9:30am after a big bacon and egg breakfast thinking they're good to go.

A big night on the turps might involve eight to ten stubbies over a six or seven hour period, maybe a few Dark Masters (any brown liquor on ice, neat, or mixed depending on how the Dark Master ticks your boxes - we'll leave Jager Bombs and Vodka out of it for now) and a shot or two when things get a little silly as the night rolls on. A massive night out can involve up to and beyond 30 standard drinks, and in many cases with young people (and the older wishing they were still young) illicit drugs, consumed between 6pm and 7am.

The point is, depending on your tolerances and how that sort of consumption makes you feel you can actually wake up after six or seven hours of sleep feeling like you're OK to get in the car. Any amateur football club that plays in the top levels of their respective competitions and has recovery sessions in the pool the morning after a game will have players arriving that can attest to that. Some AFL players probably do the same thing.

I think King's experience will probably wake up a few players on our list to the home truths of drinking after a game and having to get up early and be responsible for recovery the next day.

Maddog37
23-03-2012, 10:44 AM
I would agree with that.

Though I think you might be surprised at how high you can register in terms of blood alcohol concentration the day after a big night, when you've had a decent amount of kip and eaten a big breakfast (neither of which do much for reducing the concentration of alcohol in the bloodstream).

I guess what I'm getting at is that many people have big nights, finish up at 2am have a good night's sleep and get in the car at 9:30am after a big bacon and egg breakfast thinking they're good to go.

A big night on the turps might involve eight to ten stubbies over a six or seven hour period, maybe a few Dark Masters (any brown liquor on ice, neat, or mixed depending on how the Dark Master ticks your boxes - we'll leave Jager Bombs and Vodka out of it for now) and a shot or two when things get a little silly as the night rolls on. A massive night out can involve up to and beyond 30 standard drinks, and in many cases with young people (and the older wishing they were still young) illicit drugs, consumed between 6pm and 7am.

The point is, depending on your tolerances and how that sort of consumption makes you feel you can actually wake up after six or seven hours of sleep feeling like you're OK to get in the car. Any amateur football club that plays in the top levels of their respective competitions and has recovery sessions in the pool the morning after a game will have players arriving that can attest to that. Some AFL players probably do the same thing.

I think King's experience will probably wake up a few players on our list to the home truths of drinking after a game and having to get up early and be responsible for recovery the next day.

Remind me not to party with you too often Jeemak!!:D

Murphy'sLore
23-03-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm amazed he's managed to avoid any alcohol education up to this point that would have warned him about exactly this possibility.

jeemak
23-03-2012, 01:00 PM

Wasn't necessarily talking about myself, thank you very much!

LostDoggy
23-03-2012, 01:24 PM

Was thinking the same thing -- BIG night on the turps! :D

AndrewP6
23-03-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm amazed he's managed to avoid any alcohol education up to this point that would have warned him about exactly this possibility.

I'd hazard a guess that he's been a part of numerous sessions of that very nature - and was still dumb enough to try it.

Ghost Dog
24-03-2012, 03:43 PM
It's certainly been a while since we have had a behavioral / alcohol related incident like that. When was the last one? Proud that largely, our players keep their hands clean. Unless they're in Hong Kong that is....

westdog54
30-03-2012, 07:58 AM

Nail. Hammer. Head.

There are a lot of misconceptions revolving around how to reduce the alcohol concentration in your bloodstream. The only way it actually happens is for your body to process it. Coffee, greasy food, Red Bull, Berocca, they might make you feel better, but they have absolutely zero impact on your BAC once the alcohol is already in your system.

The population in general is fairly ignorant when it comes to alcohol education IMO. In King's case he'll have to do it anyway before he gets his licence back, its a requirement for licence restoration.

Mantis
30-03-2012, 08:34 AM
Nail. Hammer. Head.

There are a lot of misconceptions revolving around how to reduce the alcohol concentration in your bloodstream. The only way it actually happens is for your body to process it. Coffee, greasy food, Red Bull, Berocca, they might make you feel better, but they have absolutely zero impact on your BAC once the alcohol is already in your system.

The population in general is fairly ignorant when it comes to alcohol education IMO. In King's case he'll have to do it anyway before he gets his licence back, its a requirement for licence restoration.

A fair while a go when in uni we did some study on how a body processes alcohol, we learnt thru this period that the 'average' person reduces their BAC by only .007% per hour. So in reality if you are the borderline level of .05 it takes about 7 hours to get back to zero.

So if you have a big night and get up near .15% it takes 14 hours to get back to .05... So if you finish drinking at midnight you really should be driving until around 2pm.

westdog54
31-03-2012, 03:39 AM
A fair while a go when in uni we did some study on how a body processes alcohol, we learnt thru this period that the 'average' person reduces their BAC by only .007% per hour. So in reality if you are the borderline level of .05 it takes about 7 hours to get back to zero.

So if you have a big night and get up near .15% it takes 14 hours to get back to .05... So if you finish drinking at midnight you really should be driving until around 2pm.

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner.

Moral of the story, if you have a big night, stay off the road for the whole of the next day and you'll be fine.

jeemak
31-03-2012, 03:55 AM
Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner.

Moral of the story, if you have a big night, stay off the road for the whole of the next day and you'll be fine.

True. Though a lot of things wouldn't get done on Sunday's if everyone adhered to this. In fact, you could almost kiss Sunday trading goodbye :D, especially in the suburbs where taxis and public transport options are few and far between.

How much does exercise help? Does raising the metabolism through strenuous exercise speed up the process?

westdog54
31-03-2012, 04:54 AM
True. Though a lot of things wouldn't get done on Sunday's if everyone adhered to this. In fact, you could almost kiss Sunday trading goodbye :D, especially in the suburbs where taxis and public transport options are few and far between.

How much does exercise help? Does raising the metabolism through strenuous exercise speed up the process?

Most alcohol leaves your body by being processed by the liver. Exercise may make a miniscule difference but not enough to speed up the process by any decent amount.

ledge
31-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Most alcohol leaves your body by being processed by the liver. Exercise may make a miniscule difference but not enough to speed up the process by any decent amount.

So eat liver for breakfast?:D

bornadog
31-03-2012, 02:47 PM
So eat liver for breakfast?:D

No, don't drink:D