PDA

View Full Version : Dogs Trigger Ward/Reid Compo Picks

The Coon Dog
20-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Jake Niall - The Age - 20 March

THE Western Bulldogs, Melbourne and Greater Western Sydney have decided to utilise extra first-round draft picks in 2012, meaning this year's bumper national draft will have a crowded first round and clubs will be pushed back in the pecking order.

The Bulldogs and GWS have confirmed they will be ''activating'' their first-round compensation picks ahead of today's deadline, while sources said the Demons, too, would spend one of the two first-round choices they received for losing Tom Scully to GWS. The clubs had five years in which to use these ''banked'' draft choices.

Article in full... (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/compo-picks-triggered-20120319-1vfug.html)

I suppose this it the part we're interested in:

The Bulldogs said yesterday that they had opted to activate both of their compensation picks in the knowledge that the next draft was rich with talent and they would begin with five picks inside the first three rounds. They, like the Demons and Giants, can trade those extra first-rounders to other clubs if they wish.

chef
20-03-2012, 08:16 AM
It's going to be a good year to do it as it looks like we will bottom out this year. So it's possible we could end up with two top 10 picks.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Still not a level playing field but something to look forward to. Hope springs eternal that we'll get some special talent and character.

Dancin' Douggy
20-03-2012, 09:35 AM
also good news that GC won't use theirs

Murphy'sLore
20-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Surely with that many picks at our disposal, we'll have to pick up something worth having!

Throughandthrough
20-03-2012, 12:32 PM
On the flip side, that means more de-listings at the end of this year!

Cyberdoggie
20-03-2012, 02:16 PM
On the flip side, that means more de-listings at the end of this year!

Probably some worthy of it.

Already Hooper, Mulligan, Moles and Gilbee are in the cross hairs.

I don't think we'll have too many problems thinning out the list.

Cyberdoggie
20-03-2012, 02:20 PM
It's going to be a good year to do it as it looks like we will bottom out this year. So it's possible we could end up with two top 10 picks.

I'm guessing your a glass half full kinda guy?

Come on, be positive, the season hasn't started yet and pre-season has been ok.

Let's put it this way, we will definately be better than last year. :D

LostDoggy
20-03-2012, 02:49 PM
What are the thoughts here on whether we'll use the picks or trade them?

I'm thinking the former. What are your thoughts?

Remi Moses
20-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Five picks in the first three rounds .
Gotta make it count

Topdog
20-03-2012, 04:58 PM
yep, 100% no trading

DragzLS1
20-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Would rather be competetive this year then drop to the bottom of the ladder.. If we come in around the 12th mark then so be it but I think we will be more competitive then that

Desipura
20-03-2012, 05:28 PM
What are the thoughts here on whether we'll use the picks or trade them?

I'm thinking the former. What are your thoughts?
Tell me the player on offer and I will answer your question.

bulldogtragic
20-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Is Hunter still on our father/son radar?

Dancin' Douggy
20-03-2012, 10:30 PM
I'd be happy with a competitive year full of heart, and good picks. After 3 consecutive preliminary finals, finishing 8th is hardly anything to aim for, or get excited about

The Coon Dog
20-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Tell me the player on offer and I will answer your question.

True Desi, we may just have something someone is prepared to cough up for. Don't rule anything out, see what's on offer whether it's players, picks or a combination, but don't be closed minded.

Go_Dogs
20-03-2012, 10:43 PM
True Desi, we may just have something someone is prepared to cough up for. Don't rule anything out, see what's on offer whether it's players, picks or a combination, but don't be closed minded.

I wonder if it opens a door for us to have a crack at a GWS 17yo? That being said, given the apparent strength of the 2012 draft we may just load up come November.

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Sockeye Salmon
21-03-2012, 12:13 AM
I think we should have held onto the Reid pick.

We now have 5 early picks. Hunter is not rated in the top group so we could pick him up with a late pick. Add in an elevated rookie or two and we could end up with 7-8 delistings.

We don't have that many to delist.

Topdog
21-03-2012, 01:23 AM

We now have 5 early picks. Hunter is not rated in the top group so we could pick him up with a late pick. Add in an elevated rookie or two and we could end up with 7-8 delistings.

Really? With retirements and players that just aren't up to it I think we delist 7 with no problems.

strebla
21-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Really? With retirements and players that just aren't up to it I think we delist 7 with no problems.

Really with no problem I can see 4 easy ones but think another 3 will depend on the year ahead.

ledge
21-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Can we name 7 who we think will go?

BulldogBelle
21-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Can we name 7 who we think will go?

Its a stretch to name 4

1) Mulligan
2) Hooper
3) Gilbee
4) Moles

Based on form, you assume that Lake, Hargrave and Cross will all be sticking around

So we'll have 2 first round draft picks (our regular one and the Ward compo), a 2nd round pick and 2 3rd round picks (our regular one and the Reid one)

I'm sure we could find a club to trade 2 of our picks to (eg a 3rd round and 2nd round) for an upgrade

LostDoggy
21-03-2012, 10:26 AM

On the other hand, knowing we have to delist 7-8 players at year's end is one hell of a motivating factor for the playing group this year.

ledge
21-03-2012, 10:59 AM
I might get shot down here but If Grant doesnt start shining he could be a handy trade or delist?
We talk on here of Addison going every year.

strebla
21-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Its a stretch to name 4

1) Mulligan
2) Hooper
3) Gilbee
4) Moles

Based on form, you assume that Lake, Hargrave and Cross will all be sticking around

So we'll have 2 first round draft picks (our regular one and the Ward compo), a 2nd round pick and 2 3rd round picks (our regular one and the Reid one)

I'm sure we could find a club to trade 2 of our picks to (eg a 3rd round and 2nd round) for an upgrade

Agree on these four and will see what DFA brings this year really struggle to find any more though and if a couple of our rookies stand up it is going to be really hard for the match commitee to go through our list.

OLD SCRAGGer
21-03-2012, 11:49 AM
I might get shot down here but If Grant doesnt start shining he could be a handy trade or delist?
We talk on here of Addison going every year.

Didn't Grant sign an extension last year?:confused:

bornadog
21-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Its a stretch to name 4

1) Mulligan
2) Hooper
3) Gilbee
4) Moles

Based on form, you assume that Lake, Hargrave and Cross will all be sticking around.

Addison, Vez, DJ,

Maddog37
21-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Having no idea about contracts but another serious injury might be the end of SHaggy and I think the end will come quickly to Gia and Cross when it comes (if that makes any sense).

Happy to be shouted down on these but we need to transition a little from the core of 1982 born players in steps over the next couple of years.

Also Higgins might be tradeable

Dancin' Douggy
21-03-2012, 12:26 PM
johanissen?

Mantis
21-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Having no idea about contracts but another serious injury might be the end of SHaggy and I think the end will come quickly to Gia and Cross when it comes (if that makes any sense).

Happy to be shouted down on these but we need to transition a little from the core of 1982 born players in steps over the next couple of years.

Gia and Cross both signed 2 year contracts late last year.

Have heard that Shaggy will give it away at the end of this season, but we will wait and see.

bornadog
21-03-2012, 02:36 PM
johanissen?

Rookie.

Dancin' Douggy
21-03-2012, 04:04 PM
might be able to shuffle a fringe player on to the rookie list though to open a place for a draft pick.
Someone like DJerka

LostDoggy
21-03-2012, 04:06 PM

Also Higgins might be tradeable

Don't be too sure — 1982 was a very good year…

ledge
21-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Didn't Grant sign an extension last year?:confused:

Do contracts mean much ?
Clubs, players and managers do deals.
If a club doesnt want you or you dont want to play at a club anymore, deals are done.

LostDoggy
21-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Yeah, let's trade off Higgins and Grant while we're still struggling for a forward line.

Desipura
21-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Don't be too sure — 1982 was a very good year…

Maybe for you it was as you were born, the dogs were crap!

Topdog
21-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Its a stretch to name 4

1) Mulligan
2) Hooper
3) Gilbee
4) Moles

I don't think that is a stretch at all.

5) DJ
6) Addison
7) Vez

We have a heap of fringe players who have had a while in the system and may be looking at the chop sooner than many believe. Big year for

8) Cordy
9) Markovic
10) Skinner

The Bulldogs Bite
21-03-2012, 05:39 PM
I rate the kid, but Tom Hill wouldn't want another big injury either.

Topdog
21-03-2012, 05:45 PM
yep and neither would Shaggy or Morris

Throughandthrough
21-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Rookie.

Not a good year to be in the final year of your Rookie contract either.

azabob
21-03-2012, 07:42 PM
yep and neither would Shaggy or Morris

Morris? Even if Morris doesn't play this year he will be around in 2013, no doubt about it.

DragzLS1
22-03-2012, 10:03 AM
NO chance we will get rid of Grant he has showed this pre season that he works hard.

Mulligan
Hooper
Gilbee - although hope he gets a few games this year
Moles
Hargrave may retire which would make 5 although we all love Shaggy and would love for him to stay another year

Skinner from last year has stepped up and would not want to risk trading him as he could be a very exciting player (Already is imo)

Markovic is solid down back and would have him in the side even with a morris fit or a williams fit. Watch him against Geelong and you will see how well he tiemd his tackles ect was very solid in the back and looks more aggresive. Think he will have a great year

LostDoggy
23-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Yeah, let's trade off Higgins and Grant while we're still struggling for a forward line.

We'd trade both in a heartbeat if we picked up a buddy equivalent coming up the ranks. Would you trade them for Patton? My only point being nearly everything is on the table all the time and it's a good time to do it if we we're going to IMO.

jeemak
23-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Trading Grant and Higgins out right now would be pretty disastrous IMO.

Higgins, irrespective of whether you think he chases hard enough or is lazy is still good for 1.5 goals a game and can rotate through the midfield. And Grant is the only person on our list that has managed to kick six goals in a game, and should be good for a couple consistently if played on the full forward line. He is only 22 and still has some time on his side to prove he can hold down a major role in our forward line.

If they both have seasons that our club thinks are not at an acceptable level to remain on our list, then what would their trade value be? What type of picks (remembering we'll have five in the first three rounds) would they command? Why would a club give up a decent draft pick or a decent player for either of them, if we don't think they're good enough for us?

In a season where we're worried about kicking a winning score we're already talking about trading out the only players other than Gia and Jones that look like being capable of slotting a few on a regular basis.

If they have good years they'll stay. If they have crap years we'll get nothing for them that's likely to improve us.

Ghost Dog
23-03-2012, 06:58 AM
Trading Grant and Higgins out right now would be pretty disastrous IMO.

In a season where we're worried about kicking a winning score we're already talking about trading out the only players other than Gia and Jones that look like being capable of slotting a few on a regular basis.

If they have good years they'll stay. If they have crap years we'll get nothing for them that's likely to improve us.

We have more than a few other players who are likely to slot goals. Tutt, Dahlhaus, Cordy, Campbell, Griffen, Skinner. I think all these players can make a regular contribution if given the chance in the position sense.

Dancin' Douggy
23-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Remember when Clarkson arrived at the Hawks?
He swung the axe and traded out 'the heart and soul of the club'.
Loved players like Thompson and Hay were traded and they ate shit for a couple of years.

Now they've won a flag and have more members than ever.

Would you rather scrape one more year out of Hargreave, or retire him to open up a spot in what people are calling the greatest draft of all time. Same with Gilbee.
I'd trade Higgins if someone wanted him. I'd trade Grant if someone wanted him.
I'd take 5 wooden spoons in a row if it meant we'd win a flag at the end of it.

soupman
23-03-2012, 10:26 AM
We'd trade both in a heartbeat if we picked up a buddy equivalent coming up the ranks. Would you trade them for Patton? My only point being nearly everything is on the table all the time and it's a good time to do it if we we're going to IMO.

That's a ridiculous analogy.

A Buddy equivalent? In what world would any club trade away a "Buddy equivalent" for Grant and Higgins, even if they have decent seasons? And If they had seasons where their value was worthy of this trade, why would we trade them?

And why would GWS take Grant and Higgins for Patton?

Sure, nearly everything is on the table all the time. However, if you trade out an average player you're only going to get an average player back in return. Very few players would attract trade offers that would be more valuable to the club than keeping the player. Thats why players are almost always only traded when they demand out.

Greystache
24-03-2012, 10:53 AM
A third round pick is looking a pretty good deal given Sam Reid couldn't even crack it for a game in a team full of teenagers, he's an emergency for tonight.

Ghost Dog
24-03-2012, 11:00 AM
That's a ridiculous analogy.

A Buddy equivalent? In what world would any club trade away a "Buddy equivalent" for Grant and Higgins, even if they have decent seasons? And If they had seasons where their value was worthy of this trade, why would we trade them?

And why would GWS take Grant and Higgins for Patton?

Sure, nearly everything is on the table all the time. However, if you trade out an average player you're only going to get an average player back in return. Very few players would attract trade offers that would be more valuable to the club than keeping the player. Thats why players are almost always only traded when they demand out.

Unless there is a player that fits a specific need on either side of the fence, and the deal can get done.

Dancin' Douggy
24-03-2012, 05:00 PM
They might offer up reasonable picks for them though.

Remi Moses
24-03-2012, 07:54 PM
A third round pick is looking a pretty good deal given Sam Reid couldn't even crack it for a game in a team full of teenagers, he's an emergency for tonight.

Any pick for a guy who would have been delisted is good business.
Staggered he didn't get a look in, and in particular against the Swans!

JohnGentStand
24-03-2012, 09:07 PM
2 picks for Scully & 1 for Ward still makes me sick. Sick to my guts. I will only accept a cloned Grant or Hawkins or a re-incarnated Whitten with this pick.

ledge
24-03-2012, 09:25 PM
2 picks for Scully & 1 for Ward still makes me sick. Sick to my guts. I will only accept a cloned Grant or Hawkins or a re-incarnated Whitten with this pick.

But we did get picks for Reid and Hudson.

JohnGentStand
24-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Not 1st rounders! Sure the Reid pick was a dodgy attempted sweetener. I just believe that Ward will have a terriffic career , the = of Scully at very least. I dont believe in forgetting injustices and want justice if I cant get retribution :)
And another thing......I think pseudo coach Mark Williams may have swallowed a mattress. Good grief Charlie Brown!

ledge
24-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Not 1st rounders! Sure the Reid pick was a dodgy attempted sweetener. I just believe that Ward will have a terriffic career , the = of Scully at very least. I dont believe in forgetting injustices and want justice if I cant get retribution :)
And another thing......I think pseudo coach Mark Williams may have swallowed a mattress. Good grief Charlie Brown!

We picked up Ward for McMahon we might get even better with the Ward pick, thats a pretty awesome return for McMahon:D

Williams chubbed up a few years ago then lost it, now he has banged it on again.
Michael Long is my biggest shock.

JohnGentStand
24-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Ward / McMahon was a trade & amounts to zero right now.
That was due to the madness of Plough, not an AFL edict to pillage lists.
As it stands we have lost our cow for a magic bean. Let's hope it's a lucky bean!

LostDoggy
25-03-2012, 03:24 PM

It sucks man. I could hardly watch it last night . I hold nothing against young Callan for going
but gee it's a bitter pill to swallow. I have no doubt he would have reached the
same status as a grant, johnson, hawkins etc...we got screwed bigtime on this one. theres no other way to look at it. 4 years from now we could be watching him hold up the premiership cup for gws while we are top 6 or thereabouts ..not an unlikely scenario :(

Murphy'sLore
26-03-2012, 11:58 AM
It's the curse of the Ron James award - first Harbrow then Ward -- who do we lose next? :(

Dancin' Douggy
26-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Mulligan?

AndrewP6
26-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Mulligan?

Hahaha.... let's vote for him NOW!!!