PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs making inroads: Higgins

bornadog
20-03-2012, 05:34 PM
By Ben Collins (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/131087/default.aspx)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/higgins2400a.jpg

THE WESTERN Bulldogs' gallant effort to get within nine points of reigning premier Geelong in Saturday's NAB Cup clash at Simonds Stadium was a major step forward for the club, Dogs star Shaun Higgins said.

The Bulldogs appeared set to cause an upset against the virtually full-strength Cats when they led by 19 points just after half-time. And when Geelong flexed its muscles with the next five goals, the Dogs came back again to fall just short.

The plucky visitors won most of the statistical categories, including the contested possession count (149-129) and clearances (40-23) - further evidence of the merits of coach Brendan McCartney's contested-ball mantra.

Higgins, one of the Bulldogs' better players with 24 disposals and a goal, believes his team is starting to make genuine inroads under McCartney's new game-plan.

"To match up against the benchmark [of the AFL] over the past four or five years, and to see what we've implemented over four months of pre-season … was a massive step forward," Higgins said at Whitten Oval on Tuesday.

"That's showed in the way we've been playing."

Higgins, who recently turned 24, made headlines last month when he declared it was time he delivered after several injury-plagued seasons. The 87-game forward/midfielder feels he is making "good" progress towards that goal.

"In pre-season you hope to be flying and fit and feeling good, and the last couple of weeks I've been able to get some good game time in and the body's feeling good," Higgins said.

"As long as I can play my role this year I'll be happy."

That role might change slightly, with the likes of Higgins and Giansiracusa (who joined his teammate at today's press conference) set to become more dangerous options forward of centre.

The experienced pair is expected to produce big seasons, but perhaps won't be required to carry as much of the midfield load given the development of the Bulldogs' young band of hard-at-it onballers.

"There's obviously a number of roles we need to play, and myself and Danny are in that forward role and hopefully work into the midfield," Higgins said.

"But … we've drafted some good inside players and if they get the job done inside, hopefully we've got the work to do on the outside."

Asked about McCartney's constant barking of instructions and demands for strong physical contests during Tuesday's session, Giansiracusa explained: "The VFL guys have got a game this week so he wants them to be up and about for that first game on Saturday night. If you come to very training session, you'll hear 'Macca' talk like that. I'm tipping we'll get that [at training] on Friday as well.

"The message throughout the whole pre-season is: 'When you come to training, you come to training to improve.' We've tried to drive that as a leadership group … That's all we're trying to do."

The Bulldogs will have further solid training sessions on Thursday and Friday before having the weekend off to rest up before finalising preparations for their round one clash with West Coast at Etihad Stadium on Sunday April 1.

Ghost Dog
20-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Less talk more action Mr Higgins! I get sick of these articles with / about him at the start of EVERY season.

"Dogs star Shaun Higgins said." this is the problem I have. that he is TREATED as a star without actually being one. Is he in the leadership group? Who is in it. Someone remind me?

jeemak
21-03-2012, 12:26 AM
^Not sure if I would be worrying about it too much. He's a marketable player, and probably good with the media.

One thing I notice in the image of him kicking is that he looks very lean.

LostDoggy
21-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Less talk more action Mr Higgins! I get sick of these articles with / about him at the start of EVERY season.

"Dogs star Shaun Higgins said." this is the problem I have. that he is TREATED as a star without actually being one. Is he in the leadership group? Who is in it. Someone remind me?

Is that really necessary? To just pot the bloke like that?

bornadog
21-03-2012, 05:43 PM
^Not sure if I would be worrying about it too much. He's a marketable player, and probably good with the media.

One thing I notice in the image of him kicking is that he looks very lean.

Stood next him last night at the Seasons Launch and can say he has trimmed down. Looking forward to his contribution this season.

LostDoggy
21-03-2012, 07:08 PM
I would like to see less talk coming from Higgins.

AndrewP6
21-03-2012, 08:13 PM
I would like to see less talk coming from Higgins.

So when he's asked a question, he's supposed to say " Er, I'd rather not answer that" ???

Ghost Dog
21-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Is that really necessary? To just pot the bloke like that?

Plenty of players are not considered stars. Does not mean they are bad players and most teams are made up of hard working team players. there has been a bit of finger pointing at other players to run and chase in the past.

When you are born with a lot of natural talent, there is a tendency to coast on your brilliance. the new coach is going to really enjoy working with him and I expect a solid year.

jeemak
22-03-2012, 02:03 AM
Plenty of players are not considered stars. Does not mean they are bad players and most teams are made up of hard working team players. there has been a bit of finger pointing at other players to run and chase in the past.

When you are born with a lot of natural talent, there is a tendency to coast on your brilliance. the new coach is going to really enjoy working with him and I expect a solid year.

You're supposing that Higgins has coasted? Just because he's pointed the odd finger here and there and is a little slow to get up off the ground after a contest?

I don't know what knowledge you have of our playing group, though I still need to ask how intimate your knowledge of Higgins injuries and his rehabilitation from those injuries is?

He's had serious elbow surgery and serious ankle surgery. He's also had lingering groin/hamstring injuries (most likely OP and OP related) that have hampered at least two years of his career after that. He also had ankle issues and associated calf issues in 2010. I dare say after each of those injuries he's worked his arse off, just like anybody else on the list would have.

When Higgins gets criticised all anyone ever says is that he points his fingers and doesn't chase enough. They call him a waste of talent even though at least 3-3.5 years of his career to this point have been ruined by injury (he had a knock on his disposal at the start of 2010, though I suppose).

The fact that he's managed to get over his injury issues, and hopefully his OP, should have us excited about what's to come, but instead, we concentrate on the negatives about his game and status amongst our players.

Perhaps it's time to give it a rest and see what he can do with a clear run at it.

Ghost Dog
22-03-2012, 08:17 AM
You're supposing that Higgins has coasted? Just because he's pointed the odd finger here and there and is a little slow to get up off the ground after a contest?

I don't know what knowledge you have of our playing group, though I still need to ask how intimate your knowledge of Higgins injuries and his rehabilitation from those injuries is?

He's had serious elbow surgery and serious ankle surgery. He's also had lingering groin/hamstring injuries (most likely OP and OP related) that have hampered at least two years of his career after that. He also had ankle issues and associated calf issues in 2010. I dare say after each of those injuries he's worked his arse off, just like anybody else on the list would have.

When Higgins gets criticised all anyone ever says is that he points his fingers and doesn't chase enough. They call him a waste of talent even though at least 3-3.5 years of his career to this point have been ruined by injury (he had a knock on his disposal at the start of 2010, though I suppose).

The fact that he's managed to get over his injury issues, and hopefully his OP, should have us excited about what's to come, but instead, we concentrate on the negatives about his game and status amongst our players.

Perhaps it's time to give it a rest and see what he can do with a clear run at it.

Ok fair comments! And so next time Curazzo whacks him on the nose, I hope he lets him know there's a new Higgo in town.

MrMahatma
22-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Maybe it's "Star" as in a well known person, rather than one of our best players?

Nowdays, all "good" players are stars, and the better ones are "superstars".

Desipura
22-03-2012, 01:58 PM

Not comparing him in any way to Steve Johnson, however when Stevie J barks instructions to his teammates to go to a certain position of the ground its good leadership, when Higgins does it, he is labelled lazy.

Maddog37
22-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Thats because he is lazy or at least appears lazy.

bornadog
22-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Thats because he is lazy or at least appears lazy.

Don't agree with this?

LostDoggy
22-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Not comparing him in any way to Steve Johnson, however when Stevie J barks instructions to his teammates to go to a certain position of the ground its good leadership, when Higgins does it, he is labelled lazy.

When Higs has won a GF off his own boot, he can tell anyone to stand anywhere he likes. Huge difference in output and respect level. I doubt that Stevie J was telling anyone where to stand when he got his 5 game suspension from the team for being a dick.

Desipura
22-03-2012, 02:58 PM
When Higs has won a GF off his own boot, he can tell anyone to stand anywhere he likes. Huge difference in output and respect level. I doubt that Stevie J was telling anyone where to stand when he got his 5 game suspension from the team for being a dick.
"Oh the old when he wins a premiership line". I knew it was coming.
Yes Higgins is the sole reason why we have not won a premiership and Stevie J is the sole reason Geelong have.

LostDoggy
22-03-2012, 02:59 PM
"Oh the old when he wins a premiership line". I knew it was coming.
Yes Higgins is the sole reason why we have not won a premiership and Stevie J is the sole reason Geelong have.

That's clearly what I said. Way to misrepresent dude. How about dealing with my actual point, which was that Stevie J has earnt the right to lead (and he certainly hadn't when he got his suspension for being a dick). Higs hasn't, not by a long way.

Actions speak louder than words (or pointing). How is that a controversial point?

Maddog37
22-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Don't agree with this?

Not sure really. He is such a confusing player. I will defer to the coach. At the end of the year I think we will know more about him.

From the outside it appears as though he needs to be more desperate but if the coach was not happy with his endeavour then I am sure he would be told very quickly.

Maybe he is cursed with looking laconic but is actually trying his heart out under it all.

He seems to be a fine upstanding citizen though and has teased with ability. Bottom line is he is no star at the moment and needs to be better.

I would preface these comments with the fact that I have no real right to judge him.

bornadog
22-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Not sure really. He is such a confusing player. I will defer to the coach. At the end of the year I think we will know more about him.

From the outside it appears as though he needs to be more desperate but if the coach was not happy with his endeavour then I am sure he would be told very quickly.

Maybe he is cursed with looking laconic but is actually trying his heart out under it all.

He seems to be a fine upstanding citizen though and has teased with ability. Bottom line is he is no star at the moment and needs to be better.

I would preface these comments with the fact that I have no real right to judge him.

I do agree he appears to look lazy, but some players just look that way. He must be regarded highly, BMAC making him Captain for the practise match versus North.

LostDoggy
22-03-2012, 03:41 PM
He is in danger of becoming the 'new gia' in terms of the level of abuse he is beginning
to cop from frustrated fans at matches, with all the soft / lazy calls etc..

How much is reasonable to expect from him given his injuries? Will he forever only show
glimpses and we just have to accept that level of output?
Or is that fabled 'break out year' only just around the corner?

Does he cop it because he was pick 11 or 12 or whatever and was given the famous number 7 ?
Or because he is good looking and an outside player (like gia).
BTW I know the answers to none of the above! :D Higgins just confuses the hell out of me:confused::confused::confused:

OLD SCRAGGer
22-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Shaun also had that Thyroid problem last year.

Poor Bugger just can't win with some so called fans. Let's get off his back for a while can we?:confused:

LostDoggy
22-03-2012, 05:14 PM
No one is on his back. Simply just feel that he needs to establish himself as a player before doing all these media commitments. Just feel that these distractions are putting more pressure on him. All players on our list have noticeably been harder at the pill. But Higgins seems same old same old. Just want to see some improvement and hopefully round 1 we will see it.

AndrewP6
22-03-2012, 09:18 PM
No one is on his back. Simply just feel that he needs to establish himself as a player before doing all these media commitments. Just feel that these distractions are putting more pressure on him. All players on our list have noticeably been harder at the pill. But Higgins seems same old same old. Just want to see some improvement and hopefully round 1 we will see it.

I think you'll find that is part of being a professional athlete.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Either way, it's a huge year for Higgins.

He's done very little to date and needs to start producing if he's going to become a good footballer.