PDA

View Full Version : Griffen in doubt for Round 1 after hand surgery

angelopetraglia
23-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Mark Stevens From: Herald Sun March 23, 2012 12:00AM

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2012/01/10/1226241/205830-ryan-griffen.jpg

RYAN GRIFFEN HAS A SMALL BREAK AT THE BASE OF A FINGER. HERALD SUN

WESTERN Bulldogs star Ryan Griffen has had hand surgery and faces a battle to play in Round 1.

Although the surgery was minor, and the Dogs remain positive Griffen will be fit to play against West Coast, it will severely test his recuperative powers.

Griffen missed Tuesday night's season launch, raising fears the injury was more serious than reported.

The explosive midfielder missed the second half of Saturday's final NAB Cup match against Geelong at Simonds Stadium after receiving a kick to the hand.

While a calf strain suffered by Josh Hunt dominated the headlines from the game, the Griffen injury has far greater implications given his status as a dangerous line-breaker.

It is believed X-rays soon after the match revealed a small break at the base of one of his fingers, which required surgery.

Griffen's chances of playing will become clearer next week.

If he does get up to play the Eagles on Sunday week, Griffen will need a protective guard.

In better news at the Bulldogs, experienced defender Dale Morris is making good progress in his comeback from a broken leg.

He may be ready to return at VFL level in three or four weeks.

Link: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/supercoach-news/griffen-in-doubt-for-round-1-after-hand-surgery/story-fn88c7kz-1226307641704

LostDoggy
23-03-2012, 09:53 AM
F, all we need

DragzLS1
23-03-2012, 10:22 AM
OH FFS!! hope he comes good for rd 1 although its only rd 1 game and hes back so its not that bad!

bornadog
23-03-2012, 10:23 AM
One of our best players, lets hope he recovers quickly.

Cyberdoggie
23-03-2012, 11:01 AM
I think we all know how critical he and Cooney are to our chances of winning.

Not much else that can replace him and it leaves a huge hole.

the banker
23-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Griffen Cooney Tutt Sherman. Missing explosive outside. We still have grunt.

Ozza
23-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Surely he'll play. Its a broken finger - you just play.

Mantis
23-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Surely he'll play. Its a broken finger - you just play.

If the injury can get worse by playing we shouldn't risk him.

If its a KO final it's a different story, but it's only rd 1 and we can't afford to have him missing for extended periods.

strebla
23-03-2012, 12:30 PM

If its a KO final it's a different story, but it's only rd 1 and we can't afford to have him missing for extended periods.

Spot on we can ill afford to lose him for 4 to 5 weeks if its a week off give it to him send him to see his family and come back ready and rearing to go. he is our most important mid these days and we need to have him on the park healthy and happy.

Ozza
23-03-2012, 01:15 PM

Hear what you're saying (I was being a bit tongue in cheek saying 'just play) - but I'd still be a little bit surprised that a crack in the base of his finger would see him miss.

Geez we really do need him - we've got a real chance against West Coast....losing first up then having Adelaide in Adelaide - and then St.Kilda....would see us a good chance of being 0-3.

ledge
23-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Oh I dont know I think the Saints are in for a slide this year.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-03-2012, 01:44 PM
So many people are worried about the Saints, but I can't see why. They are crap. It's our best opportunity since 2009 (when we got close) to beat them.

I can see us dropping the first two though.

LostDoggy
23-03-2012, 02:32 PM
So if we go in with no Griffin, Williams & Morris (Obviously)..

They go in without Masten (Maybe), Nicoski and Lecras, plus Kennedy getting over an injury with no pre-season game time.

Still not an even playing field but I don't think we look worse off. :rolleyes:

Ghost Dog
23-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Our most valuable player I reckon. Sorely missed but must be competitive barring any key players - we can win without him and must get used to having a more even spread. Carried too much for too long as an outside mid.
Loved seeing him up close in Ballarat. He has the twitch fibers, just moves on a different level and perhaps our most difficult player to tackle, bar dahlhaus.

Greystache
23-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Watched Griffen at training this morning, he did all the running and some of the skill work, but played like the one armed man. Didn't use his left hand at all, and when match simulation started he went off to the side and did running work. Even from quite a distance you could see how swollen it was, and it was obvious how protective of it he was being. 50-50 for round 1 would be optimistic in my opinion.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-03-2012, 03:41 PM
No point risking him if he isn't 100%.

He has looked phenomenal this pre-season, even going by his standards.

bornadog
23-03-2012, 03:57 PM
So many people are worried about the Saints, but I can't see why. They are crap. It's our best opportunity since 2009 (when we got close) to beat them.

I can see us dropping the first two though.

Saints big issue this season is the back line, so good opportunity to beat them.

Remi Moses
23-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Surely the club won't take any chances in a round 1 game.
Would they take a risk on some pace with Sherman playing?
Reckon he'll play

DragzLS1
23-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Griffin is a big loss especially against a some what under done west coast team coming into round 1 etihad stadium.

Dahlhaus and Cooney for me to cover Griffen with plenty of rotation from sherman and Tutt if fit to play (fingers crossed).

Rance Fan
23-03-2012, 05:00 PM
I just had surgery on a broken finger...ouch!
He wont play round 1!
Crazy if he does, why risk it

LostDoggy
23-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Play him if he feels ok. A 90% fit Griffen will give more worth than a 100% youngun or a Sherman or DJ with no game time to date. First game of the season can always throw up an upset. I like our chances and even more with Griffen in the side. Would rather roll the dice this week and get a win to start the season.

I think he'll play.

ratsmac
25-03-2012, 05:23 PM
If he's not fit don't play him. Macca has spoken about not relying on the star players, well here's their chance.
I'd be pleasantly surprised if we won anyhow! even with Griffen playing.

angelopetraglia
26-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Now confirmed that he will miss Round 1. That is a massive blow. Hopefully he will be back for Round 2.

Ghost Dog
26-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Now confirmed that he will miss Round 1. That is a massive blow. Hopefully he will be back for Round 2.

Ah well. As others have said, rather see him get it right. The WC game just got a bit harder.

Remi Moses
26-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Need a bit of run and carry now. I'd select Sherman

Ozza
26-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Would Tutt be at all close?

Sedat
26-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Need a bit of run and carry now.
Yep, they now have a massive advantage on the spread (they had a decent advantage in this area as it was). Massive game coming up for our ruck division - hopefully they can nullify Cox and NicNat and prevent the clean clearances. I'd be perfectly happy to see rolling maul after rolling maul, with a fair slice of keepings off when we do have control the ball.

DragzLS1
26-03-2012, 03:29 PM
I would hope tutt is fit would prefer him over anybody else. Dahlhaus in the middle will help with the spread but need 1 more.

Hoping we show them up with Minson, Roughy and Cordy. Can see Minson beating Cox due to strength and endurance but nic nac will be a handful as we all know

chef
26-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Need a bit of run and carry now. I'd select Sherman

Djerrkura probably needs to play as well.

Maddog37
26-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Cooney time!