PDA

View Full Version : Clay Smith and Tory Dickson to Debut

bornadog
28-03-2012, 10:50 AM
McCartney has told them that they will both debut this week against West Coast.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/download-1.jpg

Number 14
Height 180cm
Weight 79kg
DOB 11-05-1993

Tough inside left-footer with an insatiable desire to win the ball in the air or on the ground and relentless at the opposition when in possession. Also has the capacity to win contests when outnumbered, which was a feature of his play representing Vic Country in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, at which he won All-Australian honours. Had an excellent year with Gippsland Power, averaging 26.3 disposals, 4.5 clearances and 5.4 tackles.
Draft history: 2011 NAB AFL Draft 1st round selection (Western Bulldogs) No. 17 overall.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/images-2.jpg

Number 29
Height 183cm
Weight 84kg
DOB 26-09-1987

Dickson comes to the Whitten Oval from the Bendigo Bombers, where he kicked 48 goals in 19 games for the VFL side in season 2011. The 24 year-old is a hard bodied hit-up forward that can also play through the midfield. Dickson proved his goal-kicking ability, slotting 112 majors for reputed suburban club Noble Park in 2010. In addition to his stint at Bendigo, Dickson has previously played at the VFL level for Frankston where he won the club's best and fairest award in 2009.
Draft history: 2011 NAB AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Western Bulldogs) No. 57 overall.

SlimPickens
28-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Best of luck to both of them. Definitely think both of their preseasons have warranted selection in round 1.

Eastdog
28-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Good luck to them and hope they both have great first years.

the banker
28-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Very positive. Congratulations to both of them.

stefoid
28-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Maybe dickson can follow in the footsteps of boyd and morris - mature agers from the vfl given a chance.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Both have been impressive in their own ways, so well done and congratsulations to them both.

Interested to see what Dickson can do as he gains more fitness. I think he could be a good player, but time will tell.

ledge
28-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Wonder if one might be the sub?

bornadog
28-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Interested to see what Dickson can do as he gains more fitness. I think he could be a good player, but time will tell.

He seems to have some pace and kicks the ball very well.

LostDoggy
28-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Over the moon!! Both great people!! They will do fantastic!! Will be a pleasure to watch and support !!

LostDoggy
28-03-2012, 06:26 PM
He seems to have some pace and kicks the ball very well.

Definitely. Lots of quality and nous and pretty hard at it. Only query is over his tank at AFL level but this will come, hopefully.

I'm liking Macca's 'nasty football' vibe, as long as we don't end up handbag bullies like North. If we start hurting teams physically and don't lose by a billion points every week, hopefully that will translate into a bit of a fear and intimidation factor over the next few years as our skill level improves.

azabob
28-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Definitely. Lots of quality and nous and pretty hard at it. Only query is over his tank at AFL level but this will come, hopefully.

I'm liking Macca's 'nasty football' vibe, as long as we don't end up handbag bullies like North. If we start hurting teams physically and don't lose by a billion points every week, hopefully that will translate into a bit of a fear and intimidation factor over the next few years as our skill level improves.

Agree with the north referance. I get the impression the players will be required to be physical regardless of the opposition.

DragzLS1
28-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Agree with the north referance. I get the impression the players will be required to be physical regardless of the opposition.

I think its a more Geelong approach rather then North..

jeemak
28-03-2012, 11:41 PM
I happened to watch the clip from 2010 against Norf where they were getting stuck into Hall, and I was almost sick to my stomach at the way a side that was getting a pummelling was so quick to go after a single player with 'tough' stuff.

If we turn into a side that carries on like that I'll be very disappointed.

Good luck to both of these debutants. I look forward to seeing how they progress throughout the year.

Greystache
29-03-2012, 12:07 AM
I think its a more Geelong approach rather then North..

No it's very much a Norf thing under the untalented Scott brother. Their senior players love to rough up players behind play, despite the fact they're often 60+ points behind at the time. It's pathetic and shows the mindset of a faux hardpan who as carried by more talented players.

On Smith and Dickson, good luck to the boys.

I've seen a lot of Smith preseason and I believe he'll be a 200+ gamer.

Remi Moses
29-03-2012, 02:48 AM
Best of luck to both lads

bornadog
29-03-2012, 10:16 AM

Lets hope in the red white and blue.

LostDoggy
29-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Best of luck to both Clay and Tory! Let's hope Sunday is the start of long and successful (premiership winning?) careers for both of them! Go Dogs!

The Pie Man
29-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Lets hope in the red white and blue.

Is that just a new found cynicism from losing players to expansion teams BAD or something else?

Best of luck to both lads on the weekend as well.

DragzLS1
29-03-2012, 11:01 AM
No it's very much a Norf thing under the untalented Scott brother. Their senior players love to rough up players behind play, despite the fact they're often 60+ points behind at the time. It's pathetic and shows the mindset of a faux hardpan who as carried by more talented players.

On Smith and Dickson, good luck to the boys.

I meant I beleive Macca is going for a more Geelong approach with our players as in be tough, dont take sh1t ect.. Rather then a north Melbourne approach which is rough up players behind play. I was at that game and wanted to jump on the field and start swinging myself haha im sure if Bazza wanted to he would be more then capable of taking them out on his own ;)

Anyway cant wait to see Smith and Dickson play good on them for the hard work which is about to pay off :)

Sedat
29-03-2012, 11:37 AM
I was at that game and wanted to jump on the field and start swinging myself haha im sure if Bazza wanted to he would be more then capable of taking them out on his own ;)
I actually laughed when this was happening. Norf hadn't even troubled the goals column at the time and were already 50 odd points down. Guys like Firrito and Scott Thompson are the best examples of faux-toughness going around. Actually in fairness to Thompson, he has cut a fair bit of the niggle out of his game since the Hall clash, but Firrito could not have a more appropriate nickname than 'Spud'.

Well done to Smith and Dickson on their impending debuts. Both have some strong skill sets in their repertoire, and hopefully both can work hard on their current deficiencies to become well-rounded quality AFL players for many years to come.

bornadog
29-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Is that just a new found cynicism from losing players to expansion teams BAD or something else?

Best of luck to both lads on the weekend as well.

Just want to hold on to good players. Harbrow and Ward has left a bad taste in BAD:D

DragzLS1
29-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Just want to hold on to good players. Harbrow and Ward has left a bad taste in BAD:D

Harbrow not soo much, Ward is depressing enarly :(

But as you said I would like to hold on to good players for a change! Smith looks like he is a quality player and Dickson will be more then servicable throughout the years. Lets hold on to these guys and play a GF in the next 3 years!!

strebla
29-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Harbrow not soo much, Ward is depressing enarly :(

But as you said I would like to hold on to good players for a change! Smith looks like he is a quality player and Dickson will be more then servicable throughout the years. Lets hold on to these guys and play a GF in the next 3 years!!

Harbrow has hurt us dont you worry about that IMHO Ward will not hurt our structure nearly as much. Ward may be the better player but will Libba and Smith comming through is much easier replaced I am still dirty on Ward and our compo for him but if I had to choose between the two which one I want back would go with Harbrow .

DragzLS1
29-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Harbrow has hurt us dont you worry about that IMHO Ward will not hurt our structure nearly as much. Ward may be the better player but will Libba and Smith comming through is much easier replaced I am still dirty on Ward and our compo for him but if I had to choose between the two which one I want back would go with Harbrow .

I suppose finding speed like harbrows isnt very often although we have been lucky with Tutt and Lukey D.. I agree with what your saying structure wise but just cant help feeling like we got robbed!

Cant wait to smash GWS and Gold Coast now for robbing us, TWICE!

stefoid
29-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Harbrows best was amazing - he was a genuine line breaker and we sure do need more of those. Dalhaus is a good start. Dont know about Tutt - he can certainly run and kick the pill, but can he do it in heavy traffic?

strebla
29-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Harbrows best was amazing - he was a genuine line breaker and we sure do need more of those. Dalhaus is a good start. Dont know about Tutt - he can certainly run and kick the pill, but can he do it in heavy traffic?

That's the unknown isn't it going to be an interesting year for Tutt but he surprised me last year and if he does so again we will have a player.

Ghost Dog
29-03-2012, 05:11 PM
That's the unknown isn't it going to be an interesting year for Tutt but he surprised me last year and if he does so again we will have a player.

One thing I keep forgetting about the preseason is we have a few cards in our deck, yet to be played. Tutt is one for sure. didn't do too badly last year for a softballer convert!

LostDoggy
02-04-2012, 08:17 AM
What was the final reason for the substitution of Smith yesterday? The TV may have said something about cramping, but I missed it.

chef
02-04-2012, 08:19 AM
What was the final reason for the substitution of Smith yesterday? The TV may have said something about cramping, but I missed it.

He was cramping mid way through the second quarter.

bornadog
02-04-2012, 09:37 AM
He was cramping mid way through the second quarter.

Apparently full body cramp

LostDoggy
02-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Tory Dickson seems to have some pace and kicks the ball very well.

Last year he had 48 shots at goal and never missed , it would have been good if he had of been able to continue on like that in the Pre-Season and his miss yesterday did cost us some momentum but he's been brought in as a goal kicking HF rotation and it was really good to see him given his debut in Round 1 , Tory will get better as he gets some confidence

DragzLS1
03-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Last year he had 48 shots at goal and never missed , it would have been good if he had of been able to continue on like that in the Pre-Season and his miss yesterday did cost us some momentum but he's been brought in as a goal kicking HF rotation and it was really good to see him given his debut in Round 1 , Tory will get better as he gets some confidence

I think your right he seems like the kind of player that once they get the confidence rolling he is on fire. Puts in good efforts and might be dangerous after a few rounds. Prefer him over Hooper regardless!

ledge
04-04-2012, 09:53 AM
I think your right he seems like the kind of player that once they get the confidence rolling he is on fire. Puts in good efforts and might be dangerous after a few rounds. Prefer him over Hooper regardless!

Hooper was in the best at Willy this week maybe he is coming of age.

stefoid
04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
If Hooper wasnt already on the outer, the recruitment of Dickson is the final nail for him I reckon.

ledge
04-04-2012, 10:56 AM
If Hooper wasnt already on the outer, the recruitment of Dickson is the final nail for him I reckon.

This year is a do or die for sure.

chef
04-04-2012, 06:43 PM

I can still see him playing a fair few games this year.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-04-2012, 02:17 AM
I can still see him playing a fair few games this year.

Hooper?

I'll be surprised if he plays 1.

chef
05-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Hooper?

We are going to be playing most of if not all of our list this season.

Sedat
05-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Hooper?

If we are in the bottom 4 come round 18, he might get a couple of games in the futile hope that it artificially bumps up his trade value from pick 150 to pick 140

Mofra
05-04-2012, 10:46 AM
If we are in the bottom 4 come round 18, he might get a couple of games in the futile hope that it artificially bumps up his trade value from pick 150 to pick 140
Maybe we'll get a pick 105 ;)

Happy Days
05-04-2012, 12:31 PM
We are going to be playing most of if not all of our list this season.

I wouldn't play Hooper even if it meant we got to play with 23. What's the point of giving him a game?

Greystache
05-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Just watching a bit of the replay, a piece of play in the 2nd quarter- Smith is hunting the Ball in congestion, gets it and Beau Waters lines him up for a shirt front and crashes into him, Waters go down, Smith keep running and lays a tackle to force a ball up. BEAU WATERS! Wow, Just WOW!!

bornadog
05-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Just watching a bit of the replay, a piece of play in the 2nd quarter- Smith is hunting the Ball in congestion, gets it and Beau Waters lines him up for a shirt front and crashes into him, Waters go down, Smith keep running and lays a tackle to force a ball up. BEAU WATERS! Wow, Just WOW!!

Yes I watched that last night as well, he is one tough kid and Beau is one of the tough men of the AFL:D

Smith is a great pick up.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-04-2012, 04:45 PM

Yes I watched that last night as well, he is one tough kid and Beau is one of the tough men of the AFL:D

Not to mention his battle with Glass.

The kid is pretty damn tough and hard to actually stop.

Sedat
05-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Didn't you just write in another thread that we need to give new recruits at least 3 years before we can determine their worth??? :confused:

DragzLS1
05-04-2012, 05:16 PM

LMAO! yes I could totally see that happening. Would be great trade bait for us.. lol

SlimPickens
05-04-2012, 05:20 PM
LMAO! yes I could totally see that happening. Would be great trade bait for us.. lol

Surely we could lump him with Mulligan as well and get a flat can of coke! :D

chef
05-04-2012, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't play Hooper even if it meant we got to play with 23. What's the point of giving him a game?

You never know he may earn one.