29-03-2012, 08:17 PM
FB Robert Murphy, Brian Lake, Dylan Addison

HB Ryan Hargrave, Lukas Markovic, Christian Howard

C Daniel Cross, Clay Smith, Easton Wood

HF Daniel Giansiracusa, Liam Jones, Adam Cooney

FF Tory Dickson, Jordan Roughead, Shaun Higgins

FOLLOWERS

William Minson ,Matthew Boyd, Liam Picken

INTERCHANGE from - Jarrad Grant, Matthew Panos, Patrick Veszpremi, Nathan Djerrkura ,Mitchell Wallis, Thomas Liberatore, Luke Dahlhaus

West Coast Eagles

B: Beau Waters, Darren Glass, Will Schofield
HB: Scott Selwood, Eric Mackenzie, Shannon Hurn
C: Chris Masten, Matthew Priddis, Matthew Rosa
HF: Josh Hill, Quinten Lynch, Andrew Gaff
F: Jack Darling, Nic Naitanui, Luke Shuey
Foll: Dean Cox, Adam Selwood, Daniel Kerr

I/C: Sam Butler, Andrew Embley, Josh Kennedy, Ashley Smith, Patrick McGinnity, Gerrick Weedon, Ashton Hams

New: Josh Hill (Western Bulldogs)

chef
29-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Grant, Liberatore and Dahlhaus bench for mine with Veszpremi the sub.

bornadog
29-03-2012, 08:24 PM

I would agree on that, I like Wood on a wing.

Bulldog Revolution
29-03-2012, 08:32 PM
I quite like the team selected, and with Morris, Williams and Griffen all clearly in our best 22, and Sherman, Tutt and Moles providing some depth, it fills me with some optimism

I think you've got three of them for sure Chef - Libba, and Dal have been great preseason and Grant I think has been pretty handy but Im not sure what he'll do with the sub spot

Eastdog
29-03-2012, 08:37 PM
How do you guys think Jordan Roughead will go up forward to us?

F'scary
30-03-2012, 12:39 AM
The selections as named suggests to me that there are mind games being played by macca with the Eagles brainstrust.

I think the line up might firm to:

C: Cross, Liberatore Jnr, Wood

FF: Dalhaus, Grant, Roughead

Bench: Higgins, Clay Smith, Djerrkura, Dickson (S)

Emerg: Wallis Jnr, Veszpremi, Panos.

Other lines the same.

I agree with BAD, good to see Wood promoted into the middle of the ground. He was a big improver last season, one of the real shining lights. Could be a real star this year. The naming of Djerrkura in the squad after he missed a few weeks with the hand injury indicates to me that macca obviously rates him. On that basis, I'm punting he will actually be in the 22. Certainly, he is tough, strong & very quick. I would also have liked to see Skinner in the team - he could be a good option for the super-sub this year.

Go Doggies.

G-Mo77
30-03-2012, 02:31 AM

Hard to see it working out any differently.

Clay Smith straight into the guts! Love it! Get the kid out there and every opportunity to get his hands on the ball early and lose the nerves rather than let them sit there and watch for 2 and a half quarters and let those nerves fester.

Ghost Dog
30-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Proud moment for Easton Wood. Seem to recall some posters suggesting this move a while ago.
I'm pretty pleased to see Dylan Addison in the backline in a strange way. if he's there, I'm dead sure he must have done enough at training to earn the slot. Maybe the new coach will change his fortunes. Can't wait until things settle, with a stable and firing back three.

Sorry for my ignorance, but how does it work when Dahlhaus is named in the Williamstown side, but also on the interchange? Is that allowed to be decided on the day?

Mantis
30-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Sorry for my ignorance, but how does it work when Dahlhaus is named in the Williamstown side, but also on the interchange? Is that allowed to be decided on the day?

Our final team will be named at 6pm tonight. At this time adjustments are made to the VFL team.

G-Mo77
30-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Bench is: L.Dahlhaus J.Grant T.Liberatore M.Wallis

Go_Dogs
30-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Makes sense, Wallis to be sub I assume.

JohnGentStand
30-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Very happy with selection. I look forward to adding Sherman, Griff & Tutt to see if we can look quick again.

mjp
31-03-2012, 01:42 AM
What is with all the 'promoted to the wing' stuff with Wood?

1/.Is the backline somehow less important?
2/.When has the team ever ran out 'as named'?

Go_Dogs
31-03-2012, 09:33 AM
What is with all the 'promoted to the wing' stuff with Wood?

1/.Is the backline somehow less important?
2/.When has the team ever ran out 'as named'?

Don't disagree, but I for one am excited by the prospect of Wood spending more time in the contest and running hard to create an option. He's a real power athlete and with Griff out I'm not against him spending time around the ball.

LostDoggy
31-03-2012, 09:38 AM
I don't care where he plays. Getting the ball is his problem. To me he is wasted playing a shut down role in the backline. With the little run and pace we have, we need him to carry the ball be it hb or on the wing.

bornadog
31-03-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't care where he plays. Getting the ball is his problem. To me he is wasted playing a shut down role in the backline. With the little run and pace we have, we need him to carry the ball be it hb or on the wing.

I agree, I don't believe he is a good defender and trying to play him tall is a waste. Having said that, I think he will line up on Hill.

mjp
31-03-2012, 04:52 PM
I agree, I don't believe he is a good defender and trying to play him tall is a waste. Having said that, I think he will line up on Hill.

I have my money on Hargrave going to Hill. Experienced, hard and would have run through Josh at training probably 10000000000 times over the past few years. I doubt Hill will want any part of Shaggy.

bornadog
31-03-2012, 04:59 PM
I have my money on Hargrave going to Hill. Experienced, hard and would have run through Josh at training probably 10000000000 times over the past few years. I doubt Hill will want any part of Shaggy.

What about the rest of the match ups? Who will go to Darling? Marko on Lynch, Lake on Kennedy and what if they throw a ruckman down there?

GVGjr is reporting that Panos is not playing for Willi, unless he is on standby as the emergency for tomorrow and we are reading too much into it.

Mofra
31-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Addison would have the same effect on Hill perhaps?

We're definately going to play one short in the backline - Wood plays taller than his height and may well find himself back there.

mjp
31-03-2012, 06:28 PM
What about the rest of the match ups? Who will go to Darling? Marko on Lynch, Lake on Kennedy and what if they throw a ruckman down there?

GVGjr is reporting that Panos is not playing for Willi, unless he is on standby as the emergency for tomorrow and we are reading too much into it.

I said all this a couple of weeks back. I would not play Hargrave on a tall under any circumstances - he is fantastic against mid-sizers and smalls, but poor against talls. I would prefer to run Wood against Darling than Hargrave but don't think that will be necessary.

I think Panos will play - I thought it would be Cordy two weeks ago, but Panos played back in the last pre-season game for a reason. He will take Lynch, Lake takes whoever is deep (prob. Kennedy) and Markovic takes whoever is high (prob. Darling).

bornadog
31-03-2012, 06:42 PM
I said all this a couple of weeks back. I would not play Hargrave on a tall under any circumstances - he is fantastic against mid-sizers and smalls, but poor against talls. I would prefer to run Wood against Darling than Hargrave but don't think that will be necessary.

I think Panos will play - I thought it would be Cordy two weeks ago, but Panos played back in the last pre-season game for a reason. He will take Lynch, Lake takes whoever is deep (prob. Kennedy) and Markovic takes whoever is high (prob. Darling).

Sounds feasible.

always right
31-03-2012, 06:59 PM
And who plays on Cox or Natanui when they go forward?

LostDoggy
31-03-2012, 07:30 PM
And who plays on Cox or Natanui when they go forward?

A ruckman.
If they are going to use 4 or more talls at 1 time on their forward line, I'd say the better for us.

LongWait
31-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Just got some mail that West Coast expect Panos to play tomorrow - we have an "out" apparently, but I've no idea who it might be.

Ghost Dog
31-03-2012, 08:24 PM
A ruckman.
If they are going to use 4 or more talls at 1 time on their forward line, I'd say the better for us.

Interesting. Do you think we can hurt them on the rebound a bit more if this happens?

LostDoggy
31-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Interesting. Do you think we can hurt them on the rebound a bit more if this happens?
I think so.
If they prosper with 4 or more talls on their forward line then they will beat a lot better teams than us.

GVGjr
31-03-2012, 08:52 PM
I think there is a chance that Jones will have some stints in the back line tomorrow providing Kennedy plays.

Ghost Dog
31-03-2012, 08:58 PM
I think there is a chance that Jones will have some stints in the back line tomorrow providing Kennedy plays.

I had assumed that's why they were holding out on Panos, and perhaps he might play a role in defence, or perhaps with him as a forward, it frees Liam up?

bit worried about Addison getting burned through lack of pace.

Desipura
31-03-2012, 09:04 PM

You think so? Why when we have Marko, Lake and Murphy and Hargy that can play tall at times. Also Roughy could play a kick behind play.

Pickenitup
31-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Maybe Shaggy is out i heard he didnt train the other day?
Would be a big blow if. i do think we need panos so it could be a late change Team Balance
Maybe Wallis Out?

hujsh
31-03-2012, 10:23 PM
You think so? Why when we have Marko, Lake and Murphy and Hargy that can play tall at times. Also Roughy could play a kick behind play.

When have these two successfully played tall in defence?

Desipura
31-03-2012, 10:25 PM

I suggest you read my post again then see if you would ask the same question.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-04-2012, 08:53 AM
bit worried about Addison getting burned through lack of pace.

What about Addison as a lock in forward with his main job of blocking, harassing and getting in the face of the opposition. IMO this would free up Gia, Dhouse ect to play higher up the ground.

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 09:00 AM
What about Addison as a lock in forward with his main job of blocking, harassing and getting in the face of the opposition. IMO this would free up Gia, Dhouse ect to play higher up the ground.
If we need a nothing forward, we would have played one.
Its Round 1 and if we need to make up positions for players its gonna be a long year.

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 09:31 AM
If we need a nothing forward, we would have played one.
Its Round 1 and if we need to make up positions for players its gonna be a long year.

Mofra
01-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Never, although it's worth noting a few years back the only player we had who played on an opposition ruckman from every opposing team was Lindsay Gilbee.

Sometimes you roll the dice.

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Al Paton on twitter says clay smith is sub , this better be April fools!

Ghost Dog
01-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Al Paton on twitter says clay smith is sub , this better be April fools!

How disappointing if true. Unleash the kid from the bounce! Don't make him sit around getting nervous

divvydan
01-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Western Bulldogs v West Coast at Etihad Stadium, 1.10 PM
NO LATE CHANGES
FINAL INTERCHANGES
Western Bulldogs: Mitch Wallis, Clay Smith, Tory Dickson
Substitute: Jarrad Grant
West Coast: Luke Shuey, Ashley Smith, Josh Hill
Substitute: Andrew Embley

Go_Dogs
01-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Grant as sub an interesting one.

GVGjr
01-04-2012, 01:27 PM
NO LATE CHANGES
FINAL INTERCHANGES
We seem to be intent to go in with a small forward set-up by naming Grant as a sub.

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 01:42 PM
NO LATE CHANGES
FINAL INTERCHANGES

Very happy to hear!! Hoping grant can run fatigued eagles through the lines, pumped for this! Let's do this dogs!

LostDoggy
01-04-2012, 01:46 PM
If anyone had of told me that we would structure the side how it looks on paper for Round 1 2012 April 1st last November I probably would have told them that could well be an April Fools joke , it will be interesting how it unfolds
The backline on paper is shorter but still mobile - two good users of the ball by foot in Murphy and Howard , Addison would appear to be playing a defensive crumbing role on the edges of packs , great to see Bwian back to where he should be , big Lukas will have a heavy workload but he's a competitor , Shaggy will probably spend some time higher up the ground
The midfield battle will break up into zones from what we have seem so far of Macca's plans , it will be a solid unified committed attack on the ball Cross, Boyd , Picken , Smith , Wood , Wallis , Liberatore , Dahlhaus , Giansiracusa , Higgins and Cooney is a very solid unit and consistent with the message form Macca that its all about contested ball and defending your zone
The forward line with be rotated heavily with the midfield players , I will not be surprised at all to see our forward line consisting of only Jones and Dickson zoning off at the 40m line at times

hujsh
01-04-2012, 06:56 PM
I suggest you read my post again then see if you would ask the same question.

What could I have missed? You said Murphy and Hargrave can play tall and my point was (although I didn't feel the need to spell it out) that Hargrave never works out well as a tall defender and I've never seen Murph even try.

In fact it almost seems as if you suggested we have a abundance of tall back options and that would make it a ridiculous notion to throw Jones down back for a spell.

However if you had even anecdotal evidence of Murphy and/or Hargrave successfully playing as tall defenders against half decent quality talls I would have accepted your point and moved on.

Mofra makes a relevant point about Gilbee playing on ruckmen successfully in the past however.